|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Vercueil abandon his career at sea?
(a) His spine was crushed.
(b) His hand was crushed.
(c) His leg was cut.
(d) His head was split open.
2. Where does Vercueil bring the narrator?
(a) To the airport.
(b) To the township.
(c) To the hospital.
(d) To scenic spots.
3. What does the narrator hear as she makes her way to the door?
(a) A plane passing above.
(b) Car parking.
(c) Knocks on the door.
(d) Voices outside the kitchen doors.
4. What are some men forcing bystanders to do?
(a) Join the army.
(c) Give their money.
(d) Watch the fire burn the house.
5. What does Vercueil propose to the narrator?
(a) To go to the township.
(b) To go to the U.S.A.
(c) To go for a drive.
(d) To go shopping.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who picks the narrator up after she wakes up?
2. What does the narrator want to do after looking at her watch?
3. How does the narrator sign one of the letters where she talks about Vercueil?
4. Where is the narrator put after she tells the one trying to get her out of her house that she has cancer?
5. What excuse does the narrator give to the police officer to justify her presence there?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mr. Vercueil different at the start of Part Three, pg. 115-147?
2. What horrific scene do they encounter when they walk?
3. What was the narrator planning to do with her car?
4. Who does Florence dress as at the start of Part Four?
5. What does the policeman at the roadblock tell the narrator?
6. What does Mrs. Curren do when Mr. Vercueil is not looking?
7. What does the narrator explain over tea?
8. What does the narrator notice when passing by Florence's room in Part Three, p. 147-176?
9. What does the narrator recall about her daughter?
10. Why is Florence comforted inside the building?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)