|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Mr Vercueil's usual temperament?
(b) On edge.
2. What does the narrator ask her male employee to do over tea and biscuits?
(a) To cook for her.
(b) To marry her.
(c) To be her driver.
(d) To mail papers to her daughter after she dies.
3. What does the person helping the narrator say she could do with the extra room in her house?
(a) Rent to recently released prisoners.
(b) Take a second mortgage.
(c) Rent to students.
(d) Create a bed and breakfast.
4. What does Florence say the police do to black boys who are not in school?
(a) Drink with them.
(b) Fine them.
(c) Arrest them.
(d) Attack them.
5. What is the ethnicity of the narrator?
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents the narrator from going shopping in Part One?
2. What did the narrator find most troubling after her house was burglarized?
3. What does the narrator give to the person that lives near her house the first evening?
4. What does Florence learn thanks to a phone call a few hours after the crash?
5. What does one of Bheki's friends bring to the narrator's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator find near her garage?
2. What did the police do to Bheki and his friend?
3. Why does the narrator say she cannot give him money for nothing?
4. What is the narrator surprised about when she observes Mr. Vercueil?
5. What happens when the narrator leaves to go shopping?
6. What does Bheki inform the narrator of regarding the police and not being in school?
7. What does the narrator say about the boy and her teaching?
8. What does the narrator reassure Florence of?
9. What does the narrator do when her car won't start according to Part One, pg. 15-33?
10. What did the narrator do to ease her pain at the end of Part One, p. 3-15?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)