|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Vercueil doing in the back yard that the housekeeper's daughters watch?
(a) Dig a hole.
(b) Work on the lawn mower.
(c) Clean the pool.
(d) Ride a bicycle.
2. What does the narrator want to do before being discouraged from doing so by Florence?
(a) Call the mayor's office.
(b) File a complaint about the police.
(c) Bring Bheki to a white doctor.
(d) Bring Bheki to the police.
3. What does the narrator see the police do?
(a) Shoot a black man.
(b) Hit Bheki's bike with their door.
(c) Run over a possum.
(d) Arrest Bheki.
4. What does Mr. Vercueil seem to be sleeping off?
(a) The flu.
(b) A bad meal.
(c) The effects of his medication.
(d) The effects of liquor or drugs.
5. Why does the narrator think the person that lives near her house will return?
(a) He left his belongings.
(b) He forgot his car.
(c) He left his dog.
(d) He dug himself a hole.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does the narrator play?
2. What is the man's reaction to the narrator's comment about giving money for nothing?
3. What does the narrator ask her male employee to do over tea and biscuits?
4. How does the narrator describe Mr Vercueil's usual temperament?
5. What does the narrator ask her housekeeper to do after speaking with the police?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bheki and another teenage boy do?
2. What does the narrator find near her garage?
3. What did the narrator do to ease her pain at the end of Part One, p. 3-15?
4. What does the narrator tell the homeless man stories about on the trip into town?
5. What happened to the narrator three years ago?
6. What does the narrator say about charity?
7. Who returns with her two young daughters and teenage son in Part Two, pgs. 35-56?
8. What is unique about the aged woman's views on the apartheid system?
9. Who does the narrator want out of the house?
10. What is the aged woman diagnosed with at the start of Part One, pg. 3-15?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)