|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Florence learn thanks to a phone call a few hours after the crash?
(a) Bheki's friend cannot be found in any hospital.
(b) That the Soweto township was in full revolt.
(c) That her application at the university was turned down.
(d) That her husband was fired.
2. Why does the narrator cry when arriving in town?
(a) Because of her cancer medication.
(b) Because of her pain.
(c) Because of the beauty of the coast.
(d) Because of allergies.
3. When does the person the narrator met at the start of Part One return?
(a) In the morning.
(b) Around noon.
(c) In the evening.
(d) In the afternoon.
4. Who does the narrator find at the start of Part One?
(a) Her sister.
(b) A homeless woman.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) A homeless man.
5. Why does Vercueil say the narrator should tell her daughter about her cancer?
(a) Because her daughter is married to an oncologist.
(b) Because she needs all the support she can get.
(c) Because she could have a visa for the U.S.A.
(d) Because if her daughter finds out later she would never forgive the narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who harasses and beats Mr. Vercueil one day?
2. What does the narrator see the police do?
3. What disease is the narrator diagnosed with?
4. What does the narrator feel about the person she is addressing in this book?
5. What does the narrator ask the man to do after seeing what he purchased?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who returns with her two young daughters and teenage son in Part Two, pgs. 35-56?
2. Who does the narrator want out of the house?
3. What does the narrator explain when a neighbor who calls on the phone?
4. Who enters the house at the start of Part Two, pg. 56-86?
5. What does the narrator warn Florence of regarding hate?
6. What happens after the police van continued driving?
7. What happened to the narrator three years ago?
8. What does the homeless men decline after answering questions about his birthplace?
9. What did the narrator do to ease her pain at the end of Part One, p. 3-15?
10. What does the narrator tell the homeless man stories about on the trip into town?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)