|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator tell Mr. Vercueil as he enters the kitchen?
(a) To have the woman leave.
(b) To pack and leave.
(c) To give her her money back.
(d) To have the dog sleep outside.
2. What does the narrator spend the day doing according to page 15?
(a) Spends the day gardening.
(b) Spends the day cleaning the house.
(c) Spends the day in bed reading.
(d) Spends the day writing.
3. What do new contacts allow the narrator to experience?
(a) The reality of the Vichy regime.
(b) The reality of South African inequalities.
(c) The reality of the Berlin wall.
(d) The reality of life in an Empire.
4. What is Mr. Vercueil doing in the back yard that the housekeeper's daughters watch?
(a) Clean the pool.
(b) Dig a hole.
(c) Work on the lawn mower.
(d) Ride a bicycle.
5. Why does the narrator refuse to give the man money for nothing?
(a) Because it fosters laziness.
(b) Because she does not have cash.
(c) Because he does not deserve it.
(d) Because it is a bad precedent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the housekeeper bring her son to the narrator's house?
2. Why do the youth of the township do?
3. Where does Bheki sleep?
4. What does the narrator ask Florence about?
5. Why does the narrator cry when arriving in town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say about charity?
2. What horrific scene do they encounter when they walk?
3. What does the narrator notice when passing by Florence's room in Part Three, p. 147-176?
4. Why does the narrator say she cannot give him money for nothing?
5. What does the narrator think about when sitting in the car alone?
6. What does John ask when he comes downstairs?
7. What happens the morning the doorbell rings repeatedly?
8. What has Mr. Vercueil become interested in?
9. Who enters the house at the start of Part Two, pg. 56-86?
10. What is the narrator told when she asks who is responsible?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)