|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What composer is the narrator particularly fond of?
2. What did the narrator find most troubling after her house was burglarized?
(a) The burglars where white.
(b) The graffiti left on her sofa.
(c) The vandalism.
(d) Stealing her piano.
3. What job does the narrator offer the man she went to town with?
(a) Repairing the second floor lights.
(b) Cleaning the back yard.
(c) Cleaning the gutters.
(d) Fixing a drainage problem.
4. What does access to money allow Mr. Vercueil to do?
(b) Pay his debts.
(d) Pay for his gambling habit.
5. Why does Vercueil say the narrator should tell her daughter about her cancer?
(a) Because her daughter is married to an oncologist.
(b) Because she could have a visa for the U.S.A.
(c) Because she needs all the support she can get.
(d) Because if her daughter finds out later she would never forgive the narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the man's reaction to the narrator's comment about giving money for nothing?
2. Who follows Mr. Vercueil into the narrator's house?
3. What do the narrator and her housekeeper do after talking with Mr. Vercueil in the kitchen?
4. Why does the narrator think the person that lives near her house will return?
5. Where does the narrator find Mr. Vercueil at the start of Part Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say to the homeless man about her family?
2. What does the narrator ask the homeless man to do upon her death?
3. Who does the narrator see parked outside of her house?
4. What does Vercueil explain to the narrator when they reach the boy's hospital room?
5. What does the homeless men decline after answering questions about his birthplace?
6. What is the aged woman diagnosed with at the start of Part One, pg. 3-15?
7. What does the narrator find near her garage?
8. What do the narrator and Mr. Thabane discuss about comradeship?
9. What horrific scene do they encounter when they walk?
10. What does the narrator explain when a neighbor who calls on the phone?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)