|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator ask for help with her car problems?
(a) The neighbor.
(b) Her daughter.
(c) The homeless man.
(d) A mechanic.
2. What does Mr. Vercueil seem to be sleeping off?
(a) The effects of liquor or drugs.
(b) A bad meal.
(c) The flu.
(d) The effects of his medication.
3. Where is the man that the narrator brings on her trip to town from?
(b) South Central.
(d) The Cape.
4. Why did the housekeeper bring her son to the narrator's house?
(a) It is vacation time.
(b) The school is closed.
(c) It is after 5 p.m.
(d) The bus broke down.
5. What type of document introduces the "Age of Iron"?
(a) A long letter.
(b) A poem.
(c) A book.
(d) A short journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Vercueil do with the little girls?
2. What does the narrator ask the man to do after seeing what he purchased?
3. What did the narrator find most troubling after her house was burglarized?
4. What does the narrator ask her male employee to do over tea and biscuits?
5. What disease is the narrator diagnosed with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the police do to Bheki and his friend?
2. What does the narrator warn Florence of regarding hate?
3. Who returns with her two young daughters and teenage son in Part Two, pgs. 35-56?
4. What does the narrator reassure Florence of?
5. What does the narrator say about charity?
6. What is unique about the aged woman's views on the apartheid system?
7. What does the narrator tell the homeless man stories about on the trip into town?
8. What happened to the narrator three years ago?
9. What does Vercueil explain to the narrator when they reach the boy's hospital room?
10. What does the narrator say about the boy and her teaching?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)