|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the housekeeper bring her son to the narrator's house?
(a) The bus broke down.
(b) The school is closed.
(c) It is after 5 p.m.
(d) It is vacation time.
2. What was the narrator's profession before retiring?
(a) Police officer.
(b) Dock worker.
(d) College professor.
3. What do the narrator and her housekeeper do after talking with Mr. Vercueil in the kitchen?
(a) Take the woman and bring her to the police.
(b) Take the woman and push her out the house.
(c) Pack his suitcase and throw it out the window.
(d) Push the woman in the pool.
4. Why isn't Bheki in school?
(a) Because he is a genius that don't need to study.
(b) Because he wants to join the army.
(c) Because he thinks the school was created to make him fit in the apartheid system.
(d) Because he thinks he can have a college scholarship because of basketball.
5. What does Mr. Vercueil seem to be sleeping off?
(a) The effects of liquor or drugs.
(b) The effects of his medication.
(c) A bad meal.
(d) The flu.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was the housekeeper absent?
2. Where is the person the narrator finds at the start of Part One?
3. Why does the narrator cry when arriving in town?
4. Who does the narrator want to bring with Florence and her?
5. What do Bheki and his friend crash into?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the narrator reveal she is speaking to according to Part One, pg. 3-15?
2. What does the narrator do when her car won't start according to Part One, pg. 15-33?
3. What is unique about the aged woman's views on the apartheid system?
4. What did the narrator do to ease her pain at the end of Part One, p. 3-15?
5. What does the narrator tell the homeless man stories about on the trip into town?
6. What is the narrator surprised about when she observes Mr. Vercueil?
7. Who returns with her two young daughters and teenage son in Part Two, pgs. 35-56?
8. What does Bheki inform the narrator of regarding the police and not being in school?
9. What does Vercueil explain to the narrator when they reach the boy's hospital room?
10. What happened to the narrator three years ago?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)