|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Mr. Thabane's profession?
(a) He was a shoe seller.
(b) He was a dock worker.
(c) He was a political leader.
(d) He was a teacher.
2. What does Mr. Vercueil do the morning of Part Three "p.115-147"?
(a) Follow the narrator around.
(c) Write a letter.
(d) Play with his dog.
3. What does the narrator compare aging to?
(a) A drive with two dogs.
(b) Riding a bicycle downhill.
(c) A long drive with young children.
(d) A roller coaster ride.
4. What does the narrator hope her daughter will do after the letters stop?
(a) Give the house to Vercueil.
(b) Help fight apartheid.
(c) Give Vercueil some money.
(d) Think kindly of Mr Vercueil.
5. What does the narrator tell the young boy to do?
(a) To stay the night.
(b) To go back to school.
(c) To leave by the back door.
(d) To turn himself in.
6. What does the narrator think of Vercueil's cooking?
(a) It is terrible.
(b) It is always the same thing.
(c) It is good.
(d) It is too salty.
7. Why does Florence's cousin give the narrator a jacket to put over her head?
(a) To hide that she is white.
(b) To hide from those she wronged.
(c) To hide that she is wealthy.
(d) To protect her from the rain.
8. What does the narrator try to do?
(a) Call Mr. Thabane.
(b) Call Mr. Vercueil.
(c) Call Florence.
(d) Call the police.
9. What does the John do when he sees the narrator?
(a) He shoots at her.
(b) He smiles.
(c) He hides something under the sheets.
(d) He closes the door.
10. What prevents the narrator from going out in the days following her car drive?
(a) The police is staking out the house.
(b) A cold.
(c) Her car is broken.
(d) The weather.
11. What does the narrator say about John?
(a) He has suicide thoughts.
(b) She thinks people are after him.
(c) She thinks he has a gun.
(d) He wants to kill police officers.
12. What is Mr. Thabane's current profession?
(a) He sells shoes.
(b) He is a dock worker.
(c) He is a teacher.
(d) He is a steel worker.
13. What does Mr. Vercueil say he bought?
(c) Fire juice.
14. What did the narrator's daughter tell her as she was leaving South Africa.
(a) That she would send her money to bring her to the U.S.
(b) That she would never return.
(c) That she never want to see her again.
(d) That she would return every year.
15. Where does the police stop the narrator's car?
(a) On the side of the road.
(b) At a gas station.
(c) At a road block.
(d) At a light.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say to the young man her and her group meet as she rejects his request?
2. What does the narrator want to do after looking at her watch?
3. How long does it take for the pharmacy to deliver the narrator's new medication?
4. What is the name of Florence's cousin?
5. What does the narrator ask Vercueil to do to help with the pain?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)