|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator try to do?
(a) Call Mr. Vercueil.
(b) Call Florence.
(c) Call Mr. Thabane.
(d) Call the police.
2. What are some men forcing bystanders to do?
(b) Give their money.
(c) Join the army.
(d) Watch the fire burn the house.
3. Who gives the narrator little help after the narrator tries to take her car home?
(a) The police.
(b) The military.
(c) The white township guards.
(d) The township inhabitants.
4. What does the narrator think of Vercueil's cooking?
(a) It is always the same thing.
(b) It is too salty.
(c) It is good.
(d) It is terrible.
5. Why does Florence's cousin give the narrator a jacket to put over her head?
(a) To protect her from the rain.
(b) To hide that she is wealthy.
(c) To hide that she is white.
(d) To hide from those she wronged.
6. What does the narrator wear as she walks down the street?
(a) A long robe.
(b) Her nightgown and a blanket.
(c) A dress.
(d) A shirt and flannel pants.
7. What did the narrator tell her daughter during their last conversation?
(a) That she had a man in her life.
(b) That she was coming to the U.S.A.
(c) That she was well.
(d) That she had cancer.
8. What does the narrator say to the young man her and her group meet as she rejects his request?
(a) That she will help the insurrection.
(b) That she wants to go home.
(c) That she wants to burn her car.
(d) That she wants to help.
9. Who does the narrator try to wake up?
(a) The dog.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Mr. Vercueil.
(d) Her lawyer.
10. What does the narrator feel towards the boy?
11. What is the narrator doing when the boy startles her?
(a) She is taking her medication.
(b) She is cooking.
(c) She is reading.
(d) She is writing.
12. What does the narrator do while Vercueil and the dog sleep next to her?
(b) Watches the news.
13. Where are the police officers the narrator talks with?
(a) At the police station.
(b) Outside her kitchen.
(c) Near her pool.
(d) Outside her yard.
14. Why does Vercueil go into the store?
(a) To buy food.
(b) To buy brandy.
(c) To buy cigarettes.
(d) To buy whiskey.
15. What do the officers prevent the narrator from doing?
(a) Leaving the house.
(b) Following the ambulance with her car.
(c) Going upstairs.
(d) Getting in the ambulance with John.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator sign one of the letters where she talks about Vercueil?
2. What does the narrator think about while being driven home?
3. What does the narrator notice is removed?
4. What does the narrator hear as she makes her way to the door?
5. What does the narrator wonder about her daughter?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)