|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator find at the start of Part One?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her daughter.
(c) A homeless man.
(d) A homeless woman.
2. What does the narrator offer to do for Florence?
(a) Drive her to the hospital.
(b) Bring her back home.
(c) Buy her a car.
(d) Pay for legal expenses.
3. What does Mr. Vercueil seem to be sleeping off?
(a) A bad meal.
(b) The effects of liquor or drugs.
(c) The flu.
(d) The effects of his medication.
4. What are the police doing as the narrator looks outside her window?
(a) Following Bheki on his bike.
(b) Arresting a black woman.
(c) Parking their car.
(d) Drawing their guns.
5. Who does the narrator want to bring with Florence and her?
(a) Mr. Vercueil.
(b) Her lawyer.
(c) The dog.
(d) Florence's daughters.
6. What does the narrator ask Florence about?
(a) The troubles in the township.
(b) If she can clean the homeless person's clothes.
(c) How her husband is doing.
(d) If she wants a puppy.
7. What does Mr. Vercueil do with the little girls?
(a) Wets them with a hose.
(b) Tells them to go away.
(c) Yells at them.
(d) Plays with them.
8. What does Mr. Vercueil do after being beaten?
(a) He sleeps.
(b) He goes to the hospital.
(c) He leaves.
(d) He stops drinking.
9. What does the narrator think about after the person she found leaves the house?
(a) The homeless of Cape Town.
(b) Her mother.
(d) The police.
10. What does the narrator ask her male employee to do over tea and biscuits?
(a) To be her driver.
(b) To mail papers to her daughter after she dies.
(c) To cook for her.
(d) To marry her.
11. Who calls the narrator as she plays music?
(a) A police officer.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) An old friend.
(d) A bystander.
12. What is the name of the homeless man?
(a) Mr Clown.
(b) Mr Clack.
(c) Mr Vercueil.
(d) Mr Auteille.
13. What is the name of the housekeeper's son?
14. What does the person helping the narrator say she could do with the extra room in her house?
(a) Rent to recently released prisoners.
(b) Take a second mortgage.
(c) Rent to students.
(d) Create a bed and breakfast.
15. Who harasses and beats Mr. Vercueil one day?
(a) The narrator.
(c) Bheki and another boy.
(d) Bheki and two other white boys.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the man work before being paid by the narrator?
2. What does the narrator give the man following his reaction to her comment regarding giving money for nothing?
3. How does the narrator speak to the person that lives near her house?
4. Why did the housekeeper bring her son to the narrator's house?
5. Where is the person the narrator finds at the start of Part One?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)