|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator ask her housekeeper to do after speaking with the police?
(a) To go home.
(b) To prepare cocoa for everyone.
(c) To send Bheki's friend home.
(d) To go rent a good movie.
2. What does Florence learn thanks to a phone call a few hours after the crash?
(a) Bheki's friend cannot be found in any hospital.
(b) That her application at the university was turned down.
(c) That the Soweto township was in full revolt.
(d) That her husband was fired.
3. What is the name of the homeless man?
(a) Mr Clack.
(b) Mr Vercueil.
(c) Mr Clown.
(d) Mr Auteille.
4. Why did the housekeeper bring her son to the narrator's house?
(a) It is after 5 p.m.
(b) The school is closed.
(c) The bus broke down.
(d) It is vacation time.
5. What does the narrator give to the person that lives near her house the first evening?
6. What is the call the narrator receives while playing music about?
(a) The pool house is on fire.
(b) A vagrant on her property.
(c) A dog is loose on her property.
(d) A homeless man is exposing himself.
7. What does the narrator feel about the person she is addressing in this book?
(a) She hates her.
(b) She dislikes her habits.
(c) She misses her.
(d) She makes her sick.
8. What do new contacts allow the narrator to experience?
(a) The reality of South African inequalities.
(b) The reality of life in an Empire.
(c) The reality of the Vichy regime.
(d) The reality of the Berlin wall.
9. Who calls the narrator as she plays music?
(a) A bystander.
(b) An old friend.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) A police officer.
10. Who is the narrator addressing in this book?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her son.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) Her mother.
11. What is the name of the narrator's housekeeper?
12. What does the narrator ask her housekeeper to do in the letter she writes?
(a) To send her daughters away.
(b) To send Bheki away.
(c) To keep the children quiet the next morning.
(d) To leave the house for a week.
13. How much money does the man take from the narrator?
(a) 150 Rands.
(b) 50 Rands.
(c) Everything she has in her purse.
(d) 20 rands.
14. What does the narrator bring the person that lives near her house the morning after his return?
15. How does the housekeeper feel about the beating of Mr. Vercueil?
(a) She can understand it.
(b) She condemns it.
(c) She wishes to have done it herself.
(d) She is proud of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vercueil say caused the shouting man's condition?
2. Where does the narrator live?
3. Why does the narrator cry when arriving in town?
4. What does the narrator tell the person that calls her?
5. What does the narrator want to do before being discouraged from doing so by Florence?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)