|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the narrator find most troubling after her house was burglarized?
(a) The graffiti left on her sofa.
(b) The vandalism.
(c) The burglars where white.
(d) Stealing her piano.
2. What does the narrator tell the person that calls her?
(a) That the pool house heats the pool.
(b) That the vagrant is in fact her employee.
(c) That the dog is hers.
(d) That the homeless man owns the dog.
3. Who does the narrator find at the start of Part One?
(a) Her daughter.
(b) Her sister.
(c) A homeless woman.
(d) A homeless man.
4. What does the housekeeper call Mr. Vercueil?
(d) A man.
5. What injury does Bheki's friend have following the crash?
(a) Bruises on his arms and legs.
(b) Head wound.
(c) Broken arm.
(d) Cuts on his legs.
6. Why does Vercueil say the narrator should tell her daughter about her cancer?
(a) Because if her daughter finds out later she would never forgive the narrator.
(b) Because she needs all the support she can get.
(c) Because she could have a visa for the U.S.A.
(d) Because her daughter is married to an oncologist.
7. Where is the man that the narrator brings on her trip to town from?
(c) South Central.
(d) The Cape.
8. Who calls the narrator as she plays music?
(a) An old friend.
(b) A bystander.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) A police officer.
9. What does Florence learn thanks to a phone call a few hours after the crash?
(a) Bheki's friend cannot be found in any hospital.
(b) That the Soweto township was in full revolt.
(c) That her husband was fired.
(d) That her application at the university was turned down.
10. Why did the housekeeper bring her son to the narrator's house?
(a) It is after 5 p.m.
(b) It is vacation time.
(c) The bus broke down.
(d) The school is closed.
11. What does the narrator bring the person that lives near her house the morning after his return?
12. What do the narrator and her housekeeper do after talking with Mr. Vercueil in the kitchen?
(a) Pack his suitcase and throw it out the window.
(b) Push the woman in the pool.
(c) Take the woman and bring her to the police.
(d) Take the woman and push her out the house.
13. What does Florence do after the crash?
(a) Call the parents of Bheki's friend.
(b) Call the local chapter of the black panthers.
(c) Call the police.
(d) Call the hospital where Bheki's friend was sent to.
14. Who are the only two people the narrator say she would speak to on the phone?
(a) Bach and Beethoven.
(b) Her daughter and Bach.
(c) Her sister and her brother.
(d) Her daughter and Tchaikovsky.
15. What is the call the narrator receives while playing music about?
(a) A homeless man is exposing himself.
(b) A dog is loose on her property.
(c) A vagrant on her property.
(d) The pool house is on fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the narrator's house burglarized?
2. Where does the narrator find Mr. Vercueil at the start of Part Two?
3. What does the narrator ask her male employee to do over tea and biscuits?
4. Why does Florence bring Bheki back to the house?
5. What is the name of the housekeeper's son?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)