|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the only two people the narrator say she would speak to on the phone?
(a) Her daughter and Bach.
(b) Bach and Beethoven.
(c) Her daughter and Tchaikovsky.
(d) Her sister and her brother.
2. What is the man's reaction to the narrator's comment about giving money for nothing?
(a) He nods his head.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He slaps her.
(d) He calls her names.
3. How does the narrator describe Mr Vercueil's usual temperament?
(a) On edge.
4. What does the narrator ask the man to do after seeing what he purchased?
(a) To return what he purchased.
(b) To return the unspent money to her.
(c) To give the unspent money to a charity.
(d) To keep the unspent money.
5. Why does Vercueil say the narrator should tell her daughter about her cancer?
(a) Because she needs all the support she can get.
(b) Because she could have a visa for the U.S.A.
(c) Because her daughter is married to an oncologist.
(d) Because if her daughter finds out later she would never forgive the narrator.
6. When does the narrator return to her house after her trip in town?
(a) Late morning.
(b) Late afternoon.
(d) Early morning.
7. What does Mr. Vercueil seem to be sleeping off?
(a) The effects of his medication.
(b) The effects of liquor or drugs.
(c) The flu.
(d) A bad meal.
8. What does the narrator feel about the person she is addressing in this book?
(a) She misses her.
(b) She hates her.
(c) She dislikes her habits.
(d) She makes her sick.
9. Who follows Mr. Vercueil into the narrator's house?
(a) A cat.
(b) Two dogs.
(c) A friend of his.
(d) A woman.
10. What instrument does the narrator play?
(a) The violin.
(b) The guitar.
(d) The trombone.
11. What is the name of the homeless man?
(a) Mr Clack.
(b) Mr Vercueil.
(c) Mr Auteille.
(d) Mr Clown.
12. How does the narrator sign the letter she writes to her housekeeper?
13. What prevents the narrator from going shopping in Part One?
(b) Her farorite soap opera has a marathon.
(c) Her can does not run.
(d) The rain.
14. What does Mr. Vercueil do after being beaten?
(a) He sleeps.
(b) He leaves.
(c) He goes to the hospital.
(d) He stops drinking.
15. What do new contacts allow the narrator to experience?
(a) The reality of life in an Empire.
(b) The reality of the Vichy regime.
(c) The reality of South African inequalities.
(d) The reality of the Berlin wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the narrator and her housekeeper do after talking with Mr. Vercueil in the kitchen?
2. What is the ethnicity of the narrator?
3. Why does the narrator think the person that lives near her house will return?
4. What do Bheki and his friend crash into?
5. What does the narrator write about?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)