|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator see the police do?
(a) Arrest Bheki.
(b) Run over a possum.
(c) Shoot a black man.
(d) Hit Bheki's bike with their door.
2. Why do the youth of the township do?
(a) Drive white people out of the township.
(b) Fight with white students.
(c) Burn a police station.
(d) Burn their own school.
3. What does the narrator say about charity not being appreciated?
(a) It is necessary.
(b) It is a crime.
(c) It has no point.
(d) It is disrespectful.
4. When was the narrator's house burglarized?
(a) Three years before the events of the book.
(b) Twelve years before the events of the book.
(c) Four years before the events of the book.
(d) Five years before the events of the book.
5. How long does the man work before being paid by the narrator?
(a) A couple of hours.
(b) A couple of days.
(c) A couple of month.
(d) A couple of weeks.
6. What is the man's reaction to the narrator's comment about giving money for nothing?
(a) He nods his head.
(b) He calls her names.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He slaps her.
7. What injury does Bheki's friend have following the crash?
(a) Cuts on his legs.
(b) Broken arm.
(c) Bruises on his arms and legs.
(d) Head wound.
8. Where is the narrator's husband in Part One?
(a) On a boat.
(b) With another woman.
(c) In jail.
9. What does the person helping the narrator say she could do with the extra room in her house?
(a) Rent to recently released prisoners.
(b) Create a bed and breakfast.
(c) Rent to students.
(d) Take a second mortgage.
10. How much money does the man take from the narrator?
(a) 20 rands.
(b) 150 Rands.
(c) 50 Rands.
(d) Everything she has in her purse.
11. What does one of Bheki's friends bring to the narrator's home?
(a) A bicycle.
(b) A video cassette.
(c) A political pamphlet.
(d) A gun.
12. Who is the narrator of the book?
(a) A police officer.
(b) A young man.
(c) A black farmer.
(d) An aged woman.
13. Who tries to intervene when Mr. Vercueil is being beaten?
(a) The narrator.
(b) Concerned neighbors.
(c) The police.
14. What does the narrator give to the person that lives near her house the first evening?
15. What does Mr. Vercueil seem to be sleeping off?
(a) A bad meal.
(b) The effects of liquor or drugs.
(c) The effects of his medication.
(d) The flu.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator find Mr. Vercueil when she wakes?
2. When does the person the narrator met at the start of Part One return?
3. What does Mr. Vercueil do after being beaten?
4. Who is the narrator addressing in this book?
5. Why did the housekeeper bring her son to the narrator's house?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)