|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator tell Mr. Vercueil as he enters the kitchen?
(a) To give her her money back.
(b) To have the dog sleep outside.
(c) To pack and leave.
(d) To have the woman leave.
2. What does the narrator ask her male employee to do over tea and biscuits?
(a) To marry her.
(b) To be her driver.
(c) To mail papers to her daughter after she dies.
(d) To cook for her.
3. When does the person the narrator met at the start of Part One return?
(a) In the afternoon.
(b) In the evening.
(c) In the morning.
(d) Around noon.
4. What do the narrator and her housekeeper do after talking with Mr. Vercueil in the kitchen?
(a) Take the woman and bring her to the police.
(b) Pack his suitcase and throw it out the window.
(c) Push the woman in the pool.
(d) Take the woman and push her out the house.
5. What does one of Bheki's friends bring to the narrator's home?
(a) A video cassette.
(b) A political pamphlet.
(c) A bicycle.
(d) A gun.
6. How does the narrator sign the letter she writes to her housekeeper?
7. Why does the narrator think the person that lives near her house will return?
(a) He left his belongings.
(b) He left his dog.
(c) He dug himself a hole.
(d) He forgot his car.
8. Why does Florence bring Bheki back to the house?
(a) She is sought by police.
(b) Her son could be fined.
(c) She does not have insurance.
(d) She does not want to be involved with the police.
9. What does the narrator write about?
(a) The Afghan war.
(b) The Berlin wall.
(c) The space race.
10. Where does the housekeeper live?
11. Who are the only two people the narrator say she would speak to on the phone?
(a) Bach and Beethoven.
(b) Her daughter and Tchaikovsky.
(c) Her sister and her brother.
(d) Her daughter and Bach.
12. What does the narrator say to the person she finds?
(a) That she will find him work.
(b) That he cannot stay.
(c) That she will call the police.
(d) That she will house him for work.
13. What does the narrator think of doing with her cats after her death?
(a) Have them put down.
(b) Give them to a hospital.
(c) Give them to the homeless man.
(d) Give them to her sister.
14. What are the police doing as the narrator looks outside her window?
(a) Arresting a black woman.
(b) Following Bheki on his bike.
(c) Drawing their guns.
(d) Parking their car.
15. Why isn't Bheki in school?
(a) Because he wants to join the army.
(b) Because he thinks the school was created to make him fit in the apartheid system.
(c) Because he thinks he can have a college scholarship because of basketball.
(d) Because he is a genius that don't need to study.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Florence say the police do to black boys who are not in school?
2. What does the narrator give the man following his reaction to her comment regarding giving money for nothing?
3. In what time period is the "Age of Iron" set?
4. Where does the narrator find Mr. Vercueil at the start of Part Two?
5. What happens to the narrator's car in Page 16?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)