|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why isn't Bheki in school?
(a) Because he is a genius that don't need to study.
(b) Because he thinks the school was created to make him fit in the apartheid system.
(c) Because he thinks he can have a college scholarship because of basketball.
(d) Because he wants to join the army.
2. What does the narrator think of doing with her cats after her death?
(a) Give them to a hospital.
(b) Give them to the homeless man.
(c) Have them put down.
(d) Give them to her sister.
3. What does one of Bheki's friends bring to the narrator's home?
(a) A video cassette.
(b) A political pamphlet.
(c) A bicycle.
(d) A gun.
4. What disease is the narrator diagnosed with?
(b) Terminal cancer.
(d) A heart condition.
5. Why does the narrator cry when arriving in town?
(a) Because of allergies.
(b) Because of her pain.
(c) Because of her cancer medication.
(d) Because of the beauty of the coast.
6. What does the narrator want to do before being discouraged from doing so by Florence?
(a) Bring Bheki to a white doctor.
(b) File a complaint about the police.
(c) Bring Bheki to the police.
(d) Call the mayor's office.
7. What does Florence do with Bheki after the crash?
(a) Sews his wounds herself.
(b) Refuses to have an ambulance take care of him.
(c) Talks Bheki out of pressing charges.
(d) Buy him a new bike.
8. Where is the person the narrator finds at the start of Part One?
(a) Near her neighbor's house
(b) Near her garage.
(c) Near her pool.
(d) Near the grocery store.
9. What does Florence learn thanks to a phone call a few hours after the crash?
(a) Bheki's friend cannot be found in any hospital.
(b) That her application at the university was turned down.
(c) That the Soweto township was in full revolt.
(d) That her husband was fired.
10. What does the narrator tell Mr. Vercueil as he enters the kitchen?
(a) To pack and leave.
(b) To have the woman leave.
(c) To give her her money back.
(d) To have the dog sleep outside.
11. What does Mr. Vercueil do after being beaten?
(a) He stops drinking.
(b) He sleeps.
(c) He leaves.
(d) He goes to the hospital.
12. What does the narrator write about?
(b) The space race.
(c) The Berlin wall.
(d) The Afghan war.
13. What injury does Bheki's friend have following the crash?
(a) Broken arm.
(b) Head wound.
(c) Bruises on his arms and legs.
(d) Cuts on his legs.
14. Where does the narrator find Mr. Vercueil when she wakes?
(a) On the guest bed.
(b) On the front porch.
(c) On the kitchen floor.
(d) On the couch.
15. What does the narrator ask her housekeeper to do after speaking with the police?
(a) To prepare cocoa for everyone.
(b) To go home.
(c) To send Bheki's friend home.
(d) To go rent a good movie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Vercueil say the narrator should tell her daughter about her cancer?
2. When does the narrator return to her house after her trip in town?
3. What does the narrator say about the media?
4. Who is the narrator addressing in this book?
5. How does the housekeeper feel about the beating of Mr. Vercueil?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)