|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do new contacts allow the narrator to experience?
(a) The reality of the Vichy regime.
(b) The reality of the Berlin wall.
(c) The reality of South African inequalities.
(d) The reality of life in an Empire.
2. What does Florence learn thanks to a phone call a few hours after the crash?
(a) That her application at the university was turned down.
(b) That her husband was fired.
(c) That the Soweto township was in full revolt.
(d) Bheki's friend cannot be found in any hospital.
3. Why does the narrator cry when arriving in town?
(a) Because of her pain.
(b) Because of the beauty of the coast.
(c) Because of allergies.
(d) Because of her cancer medication.
4. What are the police doing as the narrator looks outside her window?
(a) Arresting a black woman.
(b) Parking their car.
(c) Drawing their guns.
(d) Following Bheki on his bike.
5. What injury does Bheki's friend have following the crash?
(a) Broken arm.
(b) Head wound.
(c) Cuts on his legs.
(d) Bruises on his arms and legs.
6. Why does the narrator think the person that lives near her house will return?
(a) He forgot his car.
(b) He left his belongings.
(c) He left his dog.
(d) He dug himself a hole.
7. What happens to the narrator's car in Page 16?
(a) The engine starts on fire.
(b) It refuses to start.
(c) It gets a flat tire.
(d) The engine backfires.
8. What does the narrator tell Mr. Vercueil as he enters the kitchen?
(a) To pack and leave.
(b) To give her her money back.
(c) To have the dog sleep outside.
(d) To have the woman leave.
9. Who does the narrator want to bring with Florence and her?
(a) The dog.
(b) Mr. Vercueil.
(c) Her lawyer.
(d) Florence's daughters.
10. What job does the narrator offer the man she went to town with?
(a) Fixing a drainage problem.
(b) Cleaning the back yard.
(c) Cleaning the gutters.
(d) Repairing the second floor lights.
11. Who are the only two people the narrator say she would speak to on the phone?
(a) Her daughter and Bach.
(b) Bach and Beethoven.
(c) Her daughter and Tchaikovsky.
(d) Her sister and her brother.
12. When was the narrator's house burglarized?
(a) Three years before the events of the book.
(b) Four years before the events of the book.
(c) Five years before the events of the book.
(d) Twelve years before the events of the book.
13. Who harasses and beats Mr. Vercueil one day?
(b) The narrator.
(c) Bheki and two other white boys.
(d) Bheki and another boy.
14. What does the narrator tell the person that calls her?
(a) That the pool house heats the pool.
(b) That the vagrant is in fact her employee.
(c) That the dog is hers.
(d) That the homeless man owns the dog.
15. What does the narrator ask her housekeeper to do in the letter she writes?
(a) To keep the children quiet the next morning.
(b) To leave the house for a week.
(c) To send her daughters away.
(d) To send Bheki away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say to the housekeeper that one day will hurt everybody?
2. How does the narrator sign the letter she writes to her housekeeper?
3. How long does the man work before being paid by the narrator?
4. How does the narrator describe Mr Vercueil's usual temperament?
5. Why does Florence bring Bheki back to the house?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)