|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator ask the man to do after seeing what he purchased?
(a) To keep the unspent money.
(b) To return the unspent money to her.
(c) To return what he purchased.
(d) To give the unspent money to a charity.
2. Why isn't Bheki in school?
(a) Because he thinks the school was created to make him fit in the apartheid system.
(b) Because he wants to join the army.
(c) Because he is a genius that don't need to study.
(d) Because he thinks he can have a college scholarship because of basketball.
3. Why did the housekeeper bring her son to the narrator's house?
(a) The school is closed.
(b) It is after 5 p.m.
(c) The bus broke down.
(d) It is vacation time.
4. What do the narrator and her housekeeper do after talking with Mr. Vercueil in the kitchen?
(a) Push the woman in the pool.
(b) Take the woman and bring her to the police.
(c) Pack his suitcase and throw it out the window.
(d) Take the woman and push her out the house.
5. What job does the narrator offer the man she went to town with?
(a) Cleaning the gutters.
(b) Repairing the second floor lights.
(c) Cleaning the back yard.
(d) Fixing a drainage problem.
6. What does the narrator want to do before being discouraged from doing so by Florence?
(a) Call the mayor's office.
(b) Bring Bheki to a white doctor.
(c) Bring Bheki to the police.
(d) File a complaint about the police.
7. Why does the narrator refuse to give the man money for nothing?
(a) Because it is a bad precedent.
(b) Because it fosters laziness.
(c) Because he does not deserve it.
(d) Because she does not have cash.
8. What do Bheki and his friend crash into?
(a) A plumber's car.
(b) A police car.
(c) A bay window.
(d) A wall.
9. What does the narrator ask her housekeeper to do after speaking with the police?
(a) To send Bheki's friend home.
(b) To prepare cocoa for everyone.
(c) To go rent a good movie.
(d) To go home.
10. What disease is the narrator diagnosed with?
(c) Terminal cancer.
(d) A heart condition.
11. What does the narrator bring the person that lives near her house the morning after his return?
12. What does the narrator ask her male employee to do over tea and biscuits?
(a) To be her driver.
(b) To mail papers to her daughter after she dies.
(c) To cook for her.
(d) To marry her.
13. When was the narrator's house burglarized?
(a) Four years before the events of the book.
(b) Twelve years before the events of the book.
(c) Five years before the events of the book.
(d) Three years before the events of the book.
14. What does access to money allow Mr. Vercueil to do?
(a) Pay for his gambling habit.
(d) Pay his debts.
15. Who are the only two people the narrator say she would speak to on the phone?
(a) Her daughter and Tchaikovsky.
(b) Her sister and her brother.
(c) Her daughter and Bach.
(d) Bach and Beethoven.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator sign the letter she writes to her housekeeper?
2. What does the narrator tell the person that calls her?
3. What injury does Bheki's friend have following the crash?
4. What is the name of the homeless man?
5. What does one of Bheki's friends bring to the narrator's home?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)