|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator think of doing with her cats after her death?
(a) Give them to the homeless man.
(b) Give them to her sister.
(c) Give them to a hospital.
(d) Have them put down.
2. What does the narrator think about after the person she found leaves the house?
(a) The police.
(c) Her mother.
(d) The homeless of Cape Town.
3. Who are the only two people the narrator say she would speak to on the phone?
(a) Her sister and her brother.
(b) Bach and Beethoven.
(c) Her daughter and Tchaikovsky.
(d) Her daughter and Bach.
4. Where does the narrator find Mr. Vercueil at the start of Part Two?
(a) Passed out on the kitchen floor.
(b) In his car.
(c) In the rain.
(d) Drunk on the couch.
5. How does the housekeeper feel about the beating of Mr. Vercueil?
(a) She is proud of it.
(b) She can understand it.
(c) She wishes to have done it herself.
(d) She condemns it.
6. What job does the narrator offer the man she went to town with?
(a) Cleaning the gutters.
(b) Fixing a drainage problem.
(c) Cleaning the back yard.
(d) Repairing the second floor lights.
7. What does the person helping the narrator say she could do with the extra room in her house?
(a) Create a bed and breakfast.
(b) Rent to recently released prisoners.
(c) Rent to students.
(d) Take a second mortgage.
8. What does the housekeeper call Mr. Vercueil?
(b) A man.
9. Where does Bheki sleep?
(a) The backyard shed.
(b) The guest bedroom.
(c) The narrator's car.
(d) The pool house.
10. What does the narrator ask her housekeeper to do in the letter she writes?
(a) To leave the house for a week.
(b) To keep the children quiet the next morning.
(c) To send her daughters away.
(d) To send Bheki away.
11. What was the narrator's profession before retiring?
(a) Police officer.
(c) College professor.
(d) Dock worker.
12. What does Vercueil say caused the shouting man's condition?
(a) Drug withdrawal.
(b) End stage cancer.
(c) Alcohol withdrawal.
(d) Alzheimer's disease.
13. What does the man buy with the money he takes from the narrator?
(a) Liquor and a mattress.
(b) A pillow and a comic book.
(c) A camera and some film.
(d) The newspaper and a laptop.
14. What is the ethnicity of the narrator?
15. What does Mr. Vercueil seem to be sleeping off?
(a) The effects of his medication.
(b) The effects of liquor or drugs.
(c) A bad meal.
(d) The flu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the homeless man?
2. How long was the housekeeper absent?
3. Why does the narrator refuse to give the man money for nothing?
4. What does the narrator ask her housekeeper to do after speaking with the police?
5. Who follows Mr. Vercueil into the narrator's house?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)