|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator feel about the person she is addressing in this book?
(a) She hates her.
(b) She dislikes her habits.
(c) She misses her.
(d) She makes her sick.
2. Who tries to intervene when Mr. Vercueil is being beaten?
(a) Concerned neighbors.
(c) The police.
(d) The narrator.
3. What does Mr. Vercueil seem to be sleeping off?
(a) The effects of liquor or drugs.
(b) The flu.
(c) A bad meal.
(d) The effects of his medication.
4. What did the narrator find most troubling after her house was burglarized?
(a) The burglars where white.
(b) The graffiti left on her sofa.
(c) Stealing her piano.
(d) The vandalism.
5. What do Bheki and his friend crash into?
(a) A plumber's car.
(b) A wall.
(c) A police car.
(d) A bay window.
6. Where is the person the narrator finds at the start of Part One?
(a) Near the grocery store.
(b) Near her neighbor's house
(c) Near her garage.
(d) Near her pool.
7. Who is the narrator addressing in this book?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) Her sister.
8. What is the call the narrator receives while playing music about?
(a) The pool house is on fire.
(b) A dog is loose on her property.
(c) A vagrant on her property.
(d) A homeless man is exposing himself.
9. Who calls the narrator as she plays music?
(a) A neighbor.
(b) A police officer.
(c) An old friend.
(d) A bystander.
10. Who follows Mr. Vercueil into the narrator's house?
(a) A woman.
(b) Two dogs.
(c) A cat.
(d) A friend of his.
11. What is Mr. Vercueil doing in the back yard that the housekeeper's daughters watch?
(a) Clean the pool.
(b) Ride a bicycle.
(c) Dig a hole.
(d) Work on the lawn mower.
12. Why does Vercueil say the narrator should tell her daughter about her cancer?
(a) Because she could have a visa for the U.S.A.
(b) Because her daughter is married to an oncologist.
(c) Because if her daughter finds out later she would never forgive the narrator.
(d) Because she needs all the support she can get.
13. When does the narrator return to her house after her trip in town?
(a) Late morning.
(c) Late afternoon.
(d) Early morning.
14. What does the narrator say about charity not being appreciated?
(a) It is necessary.
(b) It is disrespectful.
(c) It has no point.
(d) It is a crime.
15. What does access to money allow Mr. Vercueil to do?
(b) Pay his debts.
(c) Pay for his gambling habit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the man that the narrator brings on her trip to town from?
2. Where does the narrator find Mr. Vercueil at the start of Part Two?
3. What was the narrator's profession before retiring?
4. What disease is the narrator diagnosed with?
5. What does the narrator ask Florence about?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)