|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the narrator find most troubling after her house was burglarized?
(a) Stealing her piano.
(b) The vandalism.
(c) The graffiti left on her sofa.
(d) The burglars where white.
2. What does the narrator ask the man to do after seeing what he purchased?
(a) To give the unspent money to a charity.
(b) To return what he purchased.
(c) To keep the unspent money.
(d) To return the unspent money to her.
3. Why does Florence bring Bheki back to the house?
(a) She does not want to be involved with the police.
(b) She is sought by police.
(c) Her son could be fined.
(d) She does not have insurance.
4. What does the person helping the narrator say she could do with the extra room in her house?
(a) Create a bed and breakfast.
(b) Take a second mortgage.
(c) Rent to students.
(d) Rent to recently released prisoners.
5. How much money does the man take from the narrator?
(a) Everything she has in her purse.
(b) 50 Rands.
(c) 150 Rands.
(d) 20 rands.
6. What do Bheki and his friend crash into?
(a) A police car.
(b) A bay window.
(c) A plumber's car.
(d) A wall.
7. Who is the narrator of the book?
(a) An aged woman.
(b) A police officer.
(c) A black farmer.
(d) A young man.
8. What is the ethnicity of the narrator?
9. What does the narrator think about after the person she found leaves the house?
(a) The homeless of Cape Town.
(b) The police.
(d) Her mother.
10. What does the narrator offer to do for Florence?
(a) Pay for legal expenses.
(b) Drive her to the hospital.
(c) Bring her back home.
(d) Buy her a car.
11. What does Florence do after the crash?
(a) Call the police.
(b) Call the parents of Bheki's friend.
(c) Call the hospital where Bheki's friend was sent to.
(d) Call the local chapter of the black panthers.
12. How long was the housekeeper absent?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 5 months.
(d) 2 months.
13. Why did the housekeeper bring her son to the narrator's house?
(a) The school is closed.
(b) It is after 5 p.m.
(c) It is vacation time.
(d) The bus broke down.
14. What do new contacts allow the narrator to experience?
(a) The reality of the Berlin wall.
(b) The reality of the Vichy regime.
(c) The reality of life in an Empire.
(d) The reality of South African inequalities.
15. What does Florence say the police do to black boys who are not in school?
(a) Drink with them.
(b) Fine them.
(c) Attack them.
(d) Arrest them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator ask her housekeeper to do in the letter she writes?
2. Where does the housekeeper's husband work?
3. How does the narrator speak to the person that lives near her house?
4. Why does Vercueil say the narrator should tell her daughter about her cancer?
5. When does the person the narrator met at the start of Part One return?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)