|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the narrator find most troubling after her house was burglarized?
(a) Stealing her piano.
(b) The burglars where white.
(c) The vandalism.
(d) The graffiti left on her sofa.
2. What does the narrator give the man following his reaction to her comment regarding giving money for nothing?
(a) Her jewelry.
(b) Her purse.
(c) Her wallet.
(d) He credit card.
3. What does access to money allow Mr. Vercueil to do?
(a) Pay his debts.
(b) Pay for his gambling habit.
4. What does Vercueil say caused the shouting man's condition?
(a) Drug withdrawal.
(b) Alzheimer's disease.
(c) Alcohol withdrawal.
(d) End stage cancer.
5. What does the narrator tell Mr. Vercueil as he enters the kitchen?
(a) To pack and leave.
(b) To have the woman leave.
(c) To have the dog sleep outside.
(d) To give her her money back.
6. Why does Vercueil say the narrator should tell her daughter about her cancer?
(a) Because she could have a visa for the U.S.A.
(b) Because if her daughter finds out later she would never forgive the narrator.
(c) Because her daughter is married to an oncologist.
(d) Because she needs all the support she can get.
7. What does the narrator give to the person that lives near her house the first evening?
8. What does the housekeeper call Mr. Vercueil?
(a) A man.
9. What does the narrator think about after the person she found leaves the house?
(b) Her mother.
(c) The homeless of Cape Town.
(d) The police.
10. Why does the narrator refuse to give the man money for nothing?
(a) Because he does not deserve it.
(b) Because it is a bad precedent.
(c) Because she does not have cash.
(d) Because it fosters laziness.
11. What is the name of the homeless man?
(a) Mr Clack.
(b) Mr Vercueil.
(c) Mr Clown.
(d) Mr Auteille.
12. Where does the housekeeper live?
13. Why does Florence bring Bheki back to the house?
(a) She does not have insurance.
(b) She does not want to be involved with the police.
(c) She is sought by police.
(d) Her son could be fined.
14. What does the narrator want to do before being discouraged from doing so by Florence?
(a) Call the mayor's office.
(b) Bring Bheki to a white doctor.
(c) File a complaint about the police.
(d) Bring Bheki to the police.
15. What does the narrator feel about the person she is addressing in this book?
(a) She misses her.
(b) She dislikes her habits.
(c) She hates her.
(d) She makes her sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say about charity not being appreciated?
2. What does one of Bheki's friends bring to the narrator's home?
3. What does the narrator say to the person she finds?
4. Who is the narrator addressing in this book?
5. How does the narrator describe Mr Vercueil's usual temperament?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)