|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the man that the narrator brings on her trip to town from?
(a) The Cape.
(b) South Central.
2. What was the narrator's profession before retiring?
(a) College professor.
(c) Dock worker.
(d) Police officer.
3. How does the narrator describe Mr Vercueil's usual temperament?
(c) On edge.
4. What does the narrator ask her housekeeper to do after speaking with the police?
(a) To go rent a good movie.
(b) To go home.
(c) To prepare cocoa for everyone.
(d) To send Bheki's friend home.
5. Who harasses and beats Mr. Vercueil one day?
(b) Bheki and another boy.
(c) Bheki and two other white boys.
(d) The narrator.
6. What does the narrator ask her housekeeper to do in the letter she writes?
(a) To keep the children quiet the next morning.
(b) To send Bheki away.
(c) To leave the house for a week.
(d) To send her daughters away.
7. What is the call the narrator receives while playing music about?
(a) A dog is loose on her property.
(b) A homeless man is exposing himself.
(c) A vagrant on her property.
(d) The pool house is on fire.
8. What does the narrator ask the man to do after seeing what he purchased?
(a) To return the unspent money to her.
(b) To give the unspent money to a charity.
(c) To return what he purchased.
(d) To keep the unspent money.
9. What instrument does the narrator play?
(b) The trombone.
(c) The violin.
(d) The guitar.
10. What happens to the narrator's car in Page 16?
(a) The engine starts on fire.
(b) The engine backfires.
(c) It gets a flat tire.
(d) It refuses to start.
11. Where is the narrator's husband in Part One?
(a) In jail.
(c) With another woman.
(d) On a boat.
12. Where does the housekeeper live?
13. Where is Bheki's friend kept?
(a) In a room full of older men.
(b) In a cell at the local prison.
(c) In the psychiatric wing of the hospital.
(d) In the waiting room of the hospital.
14. What do new contacts allow the narrator to experience?
(a) The reality of South African inequalities.
(b) The reality of the Berlin wall.
(c) The reality of the Vichy regime.
(d) The reality of life in an Empire.
15. How does the housekeeper feel about the beating of Mr. Vercueil?
(a) She can understand it.
(b) She wishes to have done it herself.
(c) She condemns it.
(d) She is proud of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the narrator's house burglarized?
2. What do the narrator and her housekeeper do after talking with Mr. Vercueil in the kitchen?
3. Why did the housekeeper bring her son to the narrator's house?
4. Who does the narrator find at the start of Part One?
5. What does the housekeeper call Mr. Vercueil?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)