|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Mr Vercueil's usual temperament?
(c) On edge.
2. What is the name of the housekeeper's son?
3. What do the narrator and her housekeeper do after talking with Mr. Vercueil in the kitchen?
(a) Take the woman and push her out the house.
(b) Pack his suitcase and throw it out the window.
(c) Push the woman in the pool.
(d) Take the woman and bring her to the police.
4. What instrument does the narrator play?
(a) The trombone.
(c) The violin.
(d) The guitar.
5. What does the narrator say about the media?
(a) They do not print the letter she sent them.
(b) They do not cover the last South African gold medalist at the Olympics.
(c) They only cover reality TV.
(d) They do not cover what happens in the townships.
6. What do Bheki and his friend crash into?
(a) A police car.
(b) A bay window.
(c) A wall.
(d) A plumber's car.
7. What does the narrator say to the housekeeper that one day will hurt everybody?
8. Why does Florence bring Bheki back to the house?
(a) She is sought by police.
(b) Her son could be fined.
(c) She does not have insurance.
(d) She does not want to be involved with the police.
9. Why does the narrator cry when arriving in town?
(a) Because of her cancer medication.
(b) Because of allergies.
(c) Because of her pain.
(d) Because of the beauty of the coast.
10. What does access to money allow Mr. Vercueil to do?
(a) Pay his debts.
(c) Pay for his gambling habit.
11. Who does the narrator find at the start of Part One?
(a) A homeless woman.
(b) Her sister.
(c) A homeless man.
(d) Her daughter.
12. Who is the narrator of the book?
(a) A police officer.
(b) A black farmer.
(c) A young man.
(d) An aged woman.
13. What does the narrator tell Mr. Vercueil as he enters the kitchen?
(a) To pack and leave.
(b) To have the dog sleep outside.
(c) To give her her money back.
(d) To have the woman leave.
14. What does the narrator want to do before being discouraged from doing so by Florence?
(a) Bring Bheki to a white doctor.
(b) File a complaint about the police.
(c) Call the mayor's office.
(d) Bring Bheki to the police.
15. What type of document introduces the "Age of Iron"?
(a) A poem.
(b) A book.
(c) A short journal.
(d) A long letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the narrator return to her house after her trip in town?
2. Who is the narrator addressing in this book?
3. Why does the narrator refuse to give the man money for nothing?
4. What does the narrator think about after the person she found leaves the house?
5. What does one of Bheki's friends bring to the narrator's home?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)