|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Bheki and his friend crash into?
(a) A police car.
(b) A wall.
(c) A plumber's car.
(d) A bay window.
2. What do new contacts allow the narrator to experience?
(a) The reality of the Berlin wall.
(b) The reality of the Vichy regime.
(c) The reality of South African inequalities.
(d) The reality of life in an Empire.
3. What prevents the narrator from going shopping in Part One?
(b) The rain.
(c) Her can does not run.
(d) Her farorite soap opera has a marathon.
4. What does the narrator tell Mr. Vercueil as he enters the kitchen?
(a) To give her her money back.
(b) To pack and leave.
(c) To have the woman leave.
(d) To have the dog sleep outside.
5. What does the narrator feel about the person she is addressing in this book?
(a) She dislikes her habits.
(b) She makes her sick.
(c) She hates her.
(d) She misses her.
6. What does the narrator say to the housekeeper that one day will hurt everybody?
7. What happens to the narrator's car in Page 16?
(a) It refuses to start.
(b) It gets a flat tire.
(c) The engine starts on fire.
(d) The engine backfires.
8. Who does the narrator want to bring with Florence and her?
(a) Florence's daughters.
(b) Mr. Vercueil.
(c) The dog.
(d) Her lawyer.
9. What is the name of the housekeeper's son?
10. What does the man buy with the money he takes from the narrator?
(a) Liquor and a mattress.
(b) A camera and some film.
(c) A pillow and a comic book.
(d) The newspaper and a laptop.
11. What injury does Bheki's friend have following the crash?
(a) Bruises on his arms and legs.
(b) Cuts on his legs.
(c) Broken arm.
(d) Head wound.
12. What is the name of the homeless man?
(a) Mr Clack.
(b) Mr Clown.
(c) Mr Vercueil.
(d) Mr Auteille.
13. What was the narrator's profession before retiring?
(b) Dock worker.
(c) College professor.
(d) Police officer.
14. What is the man's reaction to the narrator's comment about giving money for nothing?
(a) He calls her names.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He nods his head.
(d) He slaps her.
15. What does Vercueil say caused the shouting man's condition?
(a) Alzheimer's disease.
(b) Alcohol withdrawal.
(c) Drug withdrawal.
(d) End stage cancer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one of Bheki's friends bring to the narrator's home?
2. Who harasses and beats Mr. Vercueil one day?
3. What does Mr. Vercueil do with the little girls?
4. Why did the housekeeper bring her son to the narrator's house?
5. What composer is the narrator particularly fond of?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)