|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator think the person that lives near her house will return?
(a) He left his dog.
(b) He dug himself a hole.
(c) He left his belongings.
(d) He forgot his car.
2. What does one of Bheki's friends bring to the narrator's home?
(a) A bicycle.
(b) A video cassette.
(c) A gun.
(d) A political pamphlet.
3. What happens to the narrator's car in Page 16?
(a) The engine starts on fire.
(b) The engine backfires.
(c) It refuses to start.
(d) It gets a flat tire.
4. What do Bheki and his friend crash into?
(a) A bay window.
(b) A wall.
(c) A police car.
(d) A plumber's car.
5. What does the narrator think about after the person she found leaves the house?
(a) The homeless of Cape Town.
(b) Her mother.
(d) The police.
6. What does the housekeeper call Mr. Vercueil?
(d) A man.
7. What does the narrator ask the man to do after seeing what he purchased?
(a) To return what he purchased.
(b) To return the unspent money to her.
(c) To give the unspent money to a charity.
(d) To keep the unspent money.
8. What composer is the narrator particularly fond of?
9. What does the narrator ask her male employee to do over tea and biscuits?
(a) To cook for her.
(b) To mail papers to her daughter after she dies.
(c) To be her driver.
(d) To marry her.
10. What does the narrator ask her housekeeper to do after speaking with the police?
(a) To prepare cocoa for everyone.
(b) To go home.
(c) To go rent a good movie.
(d) To send Bheki's friend home.
11. What does Mr. Vercueil do with the little girls?
(a) Yells at them.
(b) Plays with them.
(c) Wets them with a hose.
(d) Tells them to go away.
12. Who harasses and beats Mr. Vercueil one day?
(a) The narrator.
(c) Bheki and two other white boys.
(d) Bheki and another boy.
13. Who follows Mr. Vercueil into the narrator's house?
(a) Two dogs.
(b) A woman.
(c) A cat.
(d) A friend of his.
14. Who tries to intervene when Mr. Vercueil is being beaten?
(a) The police.
(b) The narrator.
(d) Concerned neighbors.
15. What does the narrator tell Mr. Vercueil as he enters the kitchen?
(a) To pack and leave.
(b) To have the woman leave.
(c) To have the dog sleep outside.
(d) To give her her money back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What injury does Bheki's friend have following the crash?
2. What does the narrator offer to do for Florence?
3. What prevents the narrator from going shopping in Part One?
4. Why do the youth of the township do?
5. What does the narrator say about charity not being appreciated?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)