|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Bheki sleep?
(a) The pool house.
(b) The guest bedroom.
(c) The backyard shed.
(d) The narrator's car.
2. What does Florence say the police do to black boys who are not in school?
(a) Attack them.
(b) Drink with them.
(c) Arrest them.
(d) Fine them.
3. Why did the housekeeper bring her son to the narrator's house?
(a) The bus broke down.
(b) It is after 5 p.m.
(c) It is vacation time.
(d) The school is closed.
4. What does the person helping the narrator say she could do with the extra room in her house?
(a) Take a second mortgage.
(b) Rent to students.
(c) Rent to recently released prisoners.
(d) Create a bed and breakfast.
5. What does Florence learn thanks to a phone call a few hours after the crash?
(a) That the Soweto township was in full revolt.
(b) That her application at the university was turned down.
(c) That her husband was fired.
(d) Bheki's friend cannot be found in any hospital.
6. What does the narrator give to the person that lives near her house the first evening?
7. What does the narrator ask her housekeeper to do after speaking with the police?
(a) To prepare cocoa for everyone.
(b) To go home.
(c) To send Bheki's friend home.
(d) To go rent a good movie.
8. What does the man buy with the money he takes from the narrator?
(a) A pillow and a comic book.
(b) Liquor and a mattress.
(c) The newspaper and a laptop.
(d) A camera and some film.
9. What are the police doing as the narrator looks outside her window?
(a) Following Bheki on his bike.
(b) Drawing their guns.
(c) Arresting a black woman.
(d) Parking their car.
10. What does the housekeeper call Mr. Vercueil?
(b) A man.
11. What is the name of the narrator's housekeeper?
12. What is Mr. Vercueil doing in the back yard that the housekeeper's daughters watch?
(a) Dig a hole.
(b) Clean the pool.
(c) Ride a bicycle.
(d) Work on the lawn mower.
13. Who harasses and beats Mr. Vercueil one day?
(a) Bheki and another boy.
(b) The narrator.
(c) Bheki and two other white boys.
14. What happens to the narrator's car in Page 16?
(a) It gets a flat tire.
(b) The engine starts on fire.
(c) It refuses to start.
(d) The engine backfires.
15. What does the narrator give the man following his reaction to her comment regarding giving money for nothing?
(a) Her jewelry.
(b) Her purse.
(c) He credit card.
(d) Her wallet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the housekeeper live?
2. What is the name of the homeless man?
3. What instrument does the narrator play?
4. What does access to money allow Mr. Vercueil to do?
5. What does the narrator say to the housekeeper that one day will hurt everybody?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)