|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who harasses and beats Mr. Vercueil one day?
(a) The narrator.
(b) Bheki and another boy.
(d) Bheki and two other white boys.
2. Where does the housekeeper's husband work?
(a) At a chicken farming plant.
(b) At a chemical plant.
(c) At an electricity plant.
(d) At a car plant.
3. Who are the only two people the narrator say she would speak to on the phone?
(a) Her sister and her brother.
(b) Bach and Beethoven.
(c) Her daughter and Bach.
(d) Her daughter and Tchaikovsky.
4. Who does the narrator find at the start of Part One?
(a) A homeless man.
(b) Her sister.
(c) A homeless woman.
(d) Her daughter.
5. What job does the narrator offer the man she went to town with?
(a) Fixing a drainage problem.
(b) Repairing the second floor lights.
(c) Cleaning the gutters.
(d) Cleaning the back yard.
6. What is the call the narrator receives while playing music about?
(a) A homeless man is exposing himself.
(b) The pool house is on fire.
(c) A vagrant on her property.
(d) A dog is loose on her property.
7. What do Bheki and his friend crash into?
(a) A plumber's car.
(b) A bay window.
(c) A police car.
(d) A wall.
8. What does the narrator tell the person that lives near her house?
(a) To leave the following morning.
(b) Not to urinate in the yard.
(c) To come inside to sleep.
(d) Not to light any fires.
9. What does the person helping the narrator say she could do with the extra room in her house?
(a) Take a second mortgage.
(b) Rent to students.
(c) Rent to recently released prisoners.
(d) Create a bed and breakfast.
10. What does Florence do after the crash?
(a) Call the police.
(b) Call the hospital where Bheki's friend was sent to.
(c) Call the parents of Bheki's friend.
(d) Call the local chapter of the black panthers.
11. What does the narrator give to the person that lives near her house the first evening?
12. What does the narrator tell the person that calls her?
(a) That the dog is hers.
(b) That the homeless man owns the dog.
(c) That the vagrant is in fact her employee.
(d) That the pool house heats the pool.
13. What instrument does the narrator play?
(a) The guitar.
(b) The violin.
(c) The trombone.
14. What does the narrator ask Florence about?
(a) If she can clean the homeless person's clothes.
(b) The troubles in the township.
(c) How her husband is doing.
(d) If she wants a puppy.
15. Who is the narrator addressing in this book?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her son.
(d) Her daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator think the person that lives near her house will return?
2. In what time period is the "Age of Iron" set?
3. What does the narrator want to do before being discouraged from doing so by Florence?
4. Where does the narrator find Mr. Vercueil when she wakes?
5. When does the person the narrator met at the start of Part One return?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)