|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the book?
(a) A black farmer.
(b) A police officer.
(c) An aged woman.
(d) A young man.
2. What does the narrator spend the day doing according to page 15?
(a) Spends the day in bed reading.
(b) Spends the day writing.
(c) Spends the day gardening.
(d) Spends the day cleaning the house.
3. What does the narrator see the police do?
(a) Run over a possum.
(b) Hit Bheki's bike with their door.
(c) Shoot a black man.
(d) Arrest Bheki.
4. When does the person the narrator met at the start of Part One return?
(a) In the afternoon.
(b) In the evening.
(c) In the morning.
(d) Around noon.
5. Where does the housekeeper live?
6. How does the housekeeper feel about the beating of Mr. Vercueil?
(a) She condemns it.
(b) She wishes to have done it herself.
(c) She can understand it.
(d) She is proud of it.
7. What does the narrator tell Mr. Vercueil as he enters the kitchen?
(a) To pack and leave.
(b) To have the woman leave.
(c) To give her her money back.
(d) To have the dog sleep outside.
8. What does the narrator think about after the person she found leaves the house?
(a) Her mother.
(b) The homeless of Cape Town.
(d) The police.
9. What does Florence do with Bheki after the crash?
(a) Buy him a new bike.
(b) Talks Bheki out of pressing charges.
(c) Refuses to have an ambulance take care of him.
(d) Sews his wounds herself.
10. What disease is the narrator diagnosed with?
(b) A heart condition.
(c) Terminal cancer.
11. What does the narrator ask her housekeeper to do in the letter she writes?
(a) To send Bheki away.
(b) To keep the children quiet the next morning.
(c) To send her daughters away.
(d) To leave the house for a week.
12. What does the narrator say about charity not being appreciated?
(a) It is a crime.
(b) It is disrespectful.
(c) It has no point.
(d) It is necessary.
13. What is the name of the homeless man?
(a) Mr Vercueil.
(b) Mr Auteille.
(c) Mr Clack.
(d) Mr Clown.
14. Why does the narrator refuse to give the man money for nothing?
(a) Because it fosters laziness.
(b) Because he does not deserve it.
(c) Because it is a bad precedent.
(d) Because she does not have cash.
15. How does the narrator speak to the person that lives near her house?
(b) In a condescending manner.
(c) With respect.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Florence do after the crash?
2. What does the narrator want to do before being discouraged from doing so by Florence?
3. In what time period is the "Age of Iron" set?
4. Who follows Mr. Vercueil into the narrator's house?
5. What injury does Bheki's friend have following the crash?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)