|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Vercueil say the narrator should tell her daughter about her cancer?
(a) Because she needs all the support she can get.
(b) Because if her daughter finds out later she would never forgive the narrator.
(c) Because her daughter is married to an oncologist.
(d) Because she could have a visa for the U.S.A.
2. What does Vercueil say caused the shouting man's condition?
(a) Alzheimer's disease.
(b) End stage cancer.
(c) Alcohol withdrawal.
(d) Drug withdrawal.
3. What are the police doing as the narrator looks outside her window?
(a) Arresting a black woman.
(b) Parking their car.
(c) Drawing their guns.
(d) Following Bheki on his bike.
4. Why isn't Bheki in school?
(a) Because he thinks he can have a college scholarship because of basketball.
(b) Because he wants to join the army.
(c) Because he thinks the school was created to make him fit in the apartheid system.
(d) Because he is a genius that don't need to study.
5. What is the name of the housekeeper's son?
6. What does access to money allow Mr. Vercueil to do?
(a) Pay his debts.
(b) Pay for his gambling habit.
7. When does the person the narrator met at the start of Part One return?
(a) In the morning.
(b) In the evening.
(c) Around noon.
(d) In the afternoon.
8. What does Mr. Vercueil seem to be sleeping off?
(a) The effects of liquor or drugs.
(b) The effects of his medication.
(c) A bad meal.
(d) The flu.
9. Why does Florence bring Bheki back to the house?
(a) Her son could be fined.
(b) She does not have insurance.
(c) She is sought by police.
(d) She does not want to be involved with the police.
10. How does the narrator speak to the person that lives near her house?
(c) With respect.
(d) In a condescending manner.
11. How does the narrator sign the letter she writes to her housekeeper?
12. Where is Bheki's friend kept?
(a) In the psychiatric wing of the hospital.
(b) In a cell at the local prison.
(c) In the waiting room of the hospital.
(d) In a room full of older men.
13. What does the narrator tell the person that calls her?
(a) That the dog is hers.
(b) That the homeless man owns the dog.
(c) That the vagrant is in fact her employee.
(d) That the pool house heats the pool.
14. What does the narrator bring the person that lives near her house the morning after his return?
15. What does the narrator spend the day doing according to page 15?
(a) Spends the day gardening.
(b) Spends the day cleaning the house.
(c) Spends the day writing.
(d) Spends the day in bed reading.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator see the police do?
2. Why does the narrator cry when arriving in town?
3. What does the narrator think of doing with her cats after her death?
4. Why do the youth of the township do?
5. What does Florence learn thanks to a phone call a few hours after the crash?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)