|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hillary feel about what she sees in Sara-Kate's house?
2. What does Sara-Kate ask Hillary to do when she leaves the house?
3. Who comes looking for Hillary when she is in Sara-Kate's house?
4. What does Sara-Kate do for the first time when Hillary brings her the stolen food?
5. What does Hillary want to do when she first hears the sound from upstairs in Sara-Kate's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Sara-Kate say elves go indoors?
2. What does Hillary say was missing in her life when Sara-Kate was absent?
3. What shocks Hillary when hearing about Sara-Kate's role in her house?
4. Why does Hillary steal something at the store?
5. What does Sara-Kate ask Hillary for after they work in the elf village after the storm?
6. What renews Hillary's belief in magic when she is reunited with Sara-Kate?
7. How does Hillary explain to herself what she saw in Sara-Kate's house?
8. What causes Hillary to sneak out of her house at night?
9. What does Hillary find in the upstairs room in Sara-Kate's house?
10. Why do most people think Sara-Kate is absent from school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Lenox was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Hillary think Sara-Kate was an elf, and what did this belief do to guide her actions?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)