|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends Sara-Kate money?
2. What shows Hillary's devotion to Sara-Kate?
3. What is the weather like when Hillary learns her father saw Sara-Kate?
4. What kind of noise does Hillary hear from upstairs in Sara-Kate's house?
5. Who makes it clear to Hillary that Sara-Kate is still around?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hillary so troubled by what she saw in Sara-Kate's house?
2. Where does Hillary get the money to go shopping with for Sara-Kate and her mother?
3. What causes Hillary to leave Sara-Kate's house in such a hurry?
4. What is Sara-Kate about to do when Hillary's mother comes looking for her?
5. What stops Sara-Kate from working in the village after she and Hillary are reunited?
6. How has Sara-Kate been supporting herself and her mother by herself?
7. What renews Hillary's belief in magic when she is reunited with Sara-Kate?
8. What does Hillary see in Sara-Kate's living room?
9. What does Hillary think of Sara-Kate after they are reunited?
10. What does Hillary do after seeing Sara-Kate's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Lenox was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)