|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mr. Lenox see Sara-Kate doing?
2. What shows Hillary's devotion to Sara-Kate?
3. Who comes looking for Hillary when she is in Sara-Kate's house?
4. What is Hillary uncertain of when she sees Sara-Kate's mother in her house?
5. What causes Sara-Kate to go inside while working with Hillary again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What worries Jane about Hillary after her trip to Sara-Kate's house?
2. Why does Sara-Kate say she could never live like Hillary?
3. What does Hillary see in Sara-Kate's living room?
4. What renews Hillary's belief in magic when she is reunited with Sara-Kate?
5. What is Hillary disappointed about when she is working in the village after being reunited with Sara-Kate?
6. What corroborates Hillary's ideas about Sara-Kate after their meeting at night?
7. What causes Hillary to leave Sara-Kate's house in such a hurry?
8. How has Sara-Kate been supporting herself and her mother by herself?
9. What shocks Hillary when hearing about Sara-Kate's role in her house?
10. Where does Hillary think Sara-Kate is after seeing the second room in the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some clues given of the real situation Sara-Kate was living in, and how did Hillary perceive these things?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)