|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in a circle in the living room of Sara-Kate's house?
2. What does Hillary think of the light coming from the room upstairs?
3. Why does Hillary say she doesn't see elves in Sara-Kate's upstairs room?
4. What does Hillary do after hearing her father saw Sara-Kate?
5. What does Hillary do that worries Jane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sara-Kate ask for when Hillary sees Sara-Kate after sneaking out of her house?
2. When does Sara-Kate say elves go indoors?
3. What does Hillary find in the second room of Sara-Kate's house?
4. How has Sara-Kate been supporting herself and her mother by herself?
5. Why do most people think Sara-Kate is absent from school?
6. What does Hillary say was missing in her life when Sara-Kate was absent?
7. What does Hillary do when she sees Sara-Kate after sneaking out of her house?
8. Where does Hillary think Sara-Kate is after seeing the second room in the house?
9. What causes Hillary to sneak out of her house at night?
10. Why does Sara-Kate refuse to ask adults for help with her extreme situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where does Sara-Kate end up at the end of the book, and what led to this situation?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)