|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day does Hillary first see the elf village?
2. What nick-name does Jane give Sara-Kate at school?
3. Why is Hillary so surprised by the way Sara-Kate acts when she comes to see the ferris wheel?
4. What rumor is spread about Sara-Kate's lunches at school?
5. What does Sara-Kate do when she sees Mr. Lenox talking to something strange?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hillary see in Sara-Kate's living room?
2. What is Hillary most impressed with when she sees the elf village?
3. Why is Sara-Kate teased about her appearance at school?
4. What makes Sara-Kate seem more mature in Hillary's eyes?
5. Why does Sara-Kate say the elves need no protection from the cold?
6. Why is Hillary so troubled by what she saw in Sara-Kate's house?
7. When does Sara-Kate say elves go indoors?
8. Where does Hillary get the money to go shopping with for Sara-Kate and her mother?
9. What does Hillary do at the end of the book?
10. What does Hillary think of Sara-Kate after they are reunited?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Lenox was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
How was Hillary able to let go of her old friends and cling to Sara-Kate? What does this reveal about her character?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)