|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hillary so surprised by the way Sara-Kate acts when she comes to see the ferris wheel?
2. Where did Hillary learn to make maps?
3. What does Sara-Kate show Hillary to avoid in her yard?
4. What do the girls help the elves build?
5. What does Hillary say Sara-Kate looks like when she gets mad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rumor is spread about Sara-Kate's lunches?
2. What strikes Hillary as odd about her time at Sara-Kate's house?
3. Why is Sara-Kate teased about her appearance at school?
4. Why does Sara-Kate say the elves need no protection from the cold?
5. What does Hillary start to do when she sees some ruined houses in the elf village, and how does Sara-Kate respond?
6. What causes Hillary to go into Sara-Kate's house?
7. What is Hillary most impressed with when she sees the elf village?
8. What makes Sara-Kate seem more mature in Hillary's eyes?
9. What is the only proof Hillary has that Sara-Kate lives with her mother?
10. What rumor is spread about Sara-Kate's father, and how does Hillary respond to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sara-Kate endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Lenox was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)