|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is captivating to Hillary about Sara-Kate?
2. How does Sara-Kate greet Hillary when she comes to see the ferris wheel?
3. What does Hillary see Sara-Kate stealing from her father's garden?
4. What makes Hillary think that elves are watching her?
5. What does Hillary's father spend most of his time doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the only proof Hillary has that Sara-Kate lives with her mother?
2. How is Hillary's home different than Sara-Kate's?
3. What does Hillary start to do when she sees some ruined houses in the elf village, and how does Sara-Kate respond?
4. What does Hillary's father spend most of his time at home doing, and why?
5. How does Hillary train herself to see elves?
6. Why is Sara-Kate teased about her appearance at school?
7. What causes Hillary to go into Sara-Kate's house?
8. What does Hillary's mother say when she hears Hillary was playing with Sara-Kate?
9. Why does Sara-Kate say the elves need no protection from the cold?
10. What rumor is spread about Sara-Kate's lunches?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal was a theme introduced in a few places in this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters were most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
How was Hillary able to let go of her old friends and cling to Sara-Kate? What does this reveal about her character?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)