|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what do the elves use a bike wheel?
2. What makes Sara-Kate get mad at Hillary?
3. The seats of the ferris wheel are made with _______________.
4. What does Sara-Kate do when she sees Mr. Lenox talking to something strange?
5. What does Sara-Kate say the elf language sounds like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hillary's father spend most of his time at home doing, and why?
2. What rumor is spread about Sara-Kate's father, and how does Hillary respond to this?
3. What strikes Hillary as odd about her time at Sara-Kate's house?
4. How is Hillary's home different than Sara-Kate's?
5. What does Sara-Kate say the elves eat?
6. What does Sara-Kate say elf language sounds like?
7. Why is Sara-Kate teased about her appearance at school?
8. What does Hillary start to do when she sees some ruined houses in the elf village, and how does Sara-Kate respond?
9. What does Hillary's mother say when she hears Hillary was playing with Sara-Kate?
10. Why does Sara-Kate say the elves need no protection from the cold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Lisle have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
How did the elf village come to be, and what did it symbolize to Sara-Kate and Hillary?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Lenox was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)