|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Rachel and Izzy when the old man falls again in Chapter 31?
2. What do Manny and Shirley do when they come by after work?
3. How does Rachel envision herself in Chapter 41 when she thinks about Izzy never having another glass of water?
4. Where is Rachel headed at the end of After the Rain?
5. What does Jeremy point out to Rachel when they take their walk on the day they scatter Izzy's ashes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Rachel responsible, as of Chapter 31?
2. Is Rachel a stubborn person?
3. How does Helena convince Izzy to let them have the party at his house?
4. How does Rachel deal with her confusing feelings about her grandfather's illness and impending death in Chapter 37?
5. Are Rachel and Jeremy close?
6. Are Rachel's reactions to situations in Chapter 34 appropriate?
7. Describe Uncle Lenny's phone call.
8. Explain Izzy's instructions regarding his death.
9. What happens when Izzy says he is afraid to go to sleep at the hospital.
10. Who is Rachel closest to in After the Rain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme of After the Rain is the competition for affection and attention. Analyze how this plays out between the following sets of characters:
1) Lewis and Izzy.
2) Helena and Rachel.
3) Rachel and Alice Farnum.
Essay Topic 2
Imagine that the character of Jeremy was not in the story.
1) Describe what information would be lost.
2) How did Jeremy's experience in the war affect his ability to have a relationship with his grandfather?
3) Explain why Jeremy never answers Rachel's letters.
Essay Topic 3
Rachel and Izzy have striking similarities in their personalities and the way they deal with people.
1) Of Rachel and Izzy, who is more mature for their age?
2) Compare and contrast this granddaughter and grandfather.
3) Of Rachel and Izzy, whose way of dealing with the world is most effective?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)