|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Izzy want to do in Chapter 33 when Rachel arrives at his house early on Saturday morning?
2. Why does Rachel decide to skip the birthday party in Chapter 32?
3. What does Rachel thank the person she speaks to in Chapter 45 for doing?
4. What does Rachel's family do when they go to the cemetery in Chapter 42?
5. What does the family plant in Izzy's memory?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rachel say her family is dealing with Izzy's illness in her journal entry in Chapter 31?
2. Describe Izzy's death.
3. How does Shirley cope with her father's illness?
4. Describe Izzy's interactions with the hospital staff in Chapter 36.
5. Is Rachel responsible, as of Chapter 31?
6. How does Rachel react to her Grandfather's groans as she waits outside his hospital room in Chapter 34?
7. Describe Rachel and Izzy's visit to the cafe in Chapter 32.
8. Are Rachel's reactions to situations in Chapter 34 appropriate?
9. How does Jeremy feel about the letters Rachel sends?
10. What does Izzy's handprint mean to Rachel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Should the Coopers have told Izzy about the severity of his illness earlier, or was Dr. North right not to tell him since there was not a cure for his cancer? What determines whether it is right or wrong to give someone this sort of information? Under what circumstances would you change your answer?
Essay Topic 2
Rachel's coming of age and Izzy's death are intricately woven together in After the Rain.
1) Analyze how Izzy's deaths contributes to Rachel's growth.
2) Who changes more during their relationship, Rachel or Izzy? Support your response.
3) How does the dead character of Eva affect both Rachel's growth and Izzy's feelings about dying?
Essay Topic 3
Grandpa Izzy dies leaving a legacy of ill feelings behind him. How would the story have progressed differently if Izzy had resolved his issues with Jeremy and Lenny before he died? Examine the impact this might have had on key characters in the novel.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)