|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the Coopers go to leave Izzy's room in the last part of Chapter 38?
2. When Rachel spends the night at the hospital with Izzy, what does he ask her to do when he wakes up around midnight?
3. What does the hospital technician give to Izzy in Chapter 35?
4. What does Dr. North tell Izzy after his collapse on Baker Street?
5. What does Rachel write a story about in Chapter 44?
Essay Topic 1
The change in Rachel and Izzy's relationship as the older man gets sicker and closer to death is the basis for much of Rachel's personal growth in the story and perhaps his too.
1) Select three pivotal moments in the story that changed Rachel and Izzy's relationship, and explain your choices.
2) Why is Rachel the only person in the family that Izzy seems willing to get close to?
3) Could a positive event have served as the catalyst to change Rachel and Izzy's relationship? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The process of Izzy's death moved Rachel from disbelief to grief and back to hope again.
1) Describe the process of accepting the death of a loved one as illustrated in this story.
2) Explain how grief affected the actions of at least 3 characters in the novel.
3) Analyze the correlation between transformation and loss.
Essay Topic 3
Acceptance of death is an on-going theme in the novel.
1) Which character does the best job of dealing with Izzy's impending death and why?
2) Which character will have the most difficult time after Izzy's death?
3) Based on events in the story, explain whether it is easier to deal with a family member death if you have a good relationship with them or a strained one.
This section contains 1,404 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)