|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Izzy want to do in Chapter 33 when Rachel arrives at his house early on Saturday morning?
2. What does Rachel eat at the hospital cafeteria with her parents when Shirley complains about the food?
3. Where is Izzy taken directly after collapsing on Baker Street?
4. When Rachel spends the night at the hospital with Izzy, what does he ask her to do when he wakes up around midnight?
5. What do Lewis and Rachel go look for on the Saturday they fill their back packs with food?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Izzy's instructions regarding his death.
2. Describe the meal the Coopers share in the hospital cafeteria in Chapter 38.
3. Does Dr. North respect Izzy?
4. How does Helena convince Izzy to let them have the party at his house?
5. Describe Izzy and Rachel's daily routine at the hospital in Chapter 36.
6. Are Rachel's reactions to situations in Chapter 34 appropriate?
7. Is Rachel's life back to normal after Izzy's death once she returns to school.
8. How does Rachel celebrate Helena's birthday?
9. Describe Rachel's feelings about Izzy's death based on her phone call with Lewis in Chapter 37.
10. How does Shirley cope with her father's illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rachel and Izzy have striking similarities in their personalities and the way they deal with people.
1) Of Rachel and Izzy, who is more mature for their age?
2) Compare and contrast this granddaughter and grandfather.
3) Of Rachel and Izzy, whose way of dealing with the world is most effective?
Essay Topic 2
Many minor characters in After the Rain have a large effect on the direction of the plot line and the character development of the main characters.
1) Compare and contrast two minor characters that you think are most important to the development of Rachel or Izzy.
2) Take one minor characters from the story and write a proposal for a novel based on that character.
3) Which of these characters has the biggest and smallest impact on the story: Alice Farnum, Nurse Brandy, Coach Al, Mikey, the Minors, or Helena? Support you answer.
Essay Topic 3
In some ways Lewis is a typical teenager and in others he shows maturity beyond his years.
1) Why do you think Lewis is able to be so supportive of Rachel during her grandfather's illness?
2) How does Lewis react to life as a stereotypical teenager in the novel?
3) Analyze the fact that Rachel's first boyfriend helps her through her first experience of death.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)