|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Tuesday night in Chapter 40, what does Rachel do when Manny holds the elevator door open for her?
2. What does Izzy demand, as the Coopers are leaving, in Chapter 38?
3. What does Jeremy point out to Rachel when they take their walk on the day they scatter Izzy's ashes?
4. How does Rachel feel, after she cries for Izzy, in Chapter 43?
5. When does Rachel start arriving at the hospital each day in Chapter 36?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grandpa Izzy dies leaving a legacy of ill feelings behind him. How would the story have progressed differently if Izzy had resolved his issues with Jeremy and Lenny before he died? Examine the impact this might have had on key characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The process of Izzy's death moved Rachel from disbelief to grief and back to hope again.
1) Describe the process of accepting the death of a loved one as illustrated in this story.
2) Explain how grief affected the actions of at least 3 characters in the novel.
3) Analyze the correlation between transformation and loss.
Essay Topic 3
Certain objects in After the Rain have significance to the story or certain characters. Select 3 items such as the jade plant, jelly beans, Alice's turban, Izzy's handprint, the bridges, dogs, or any others and analyze their importance in the story.
This section contains 1,392 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)