|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. North tell Izzy when the patient asks when he will be able to go home?
2. Who comes to visit Izzy on Sunday in Chapter 39?
3. What does Rachel do when Izzy falls, for a second time, according to her journal entries?
4. What is the weather like when Izzy and Rachel walk for the first time after his second fall?
5. Who spends the night with Izzy on the Saturday he says he is afraid to sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Izzy and Rachel's daily routine at the hospital in Chapter 36.
2. Describe Rachel's feelings about Izzy's death based on her phone call with Lewis in Chapter 37.
3. Is Rachel a stubborn person?
4. Are Rachel's reactions to situations in Chapter 34 appropriate?
5. How does Rachel celebrate Helena's birthday?
6. What happens when Izzy says he is afraid to go to sleep at the hospital.
7. How does Shirley cope with her father's illness?
8. How does Rachel deal with her confusing feelings about her grandfather's illness and impending death in Chapter 37?
9. Is Rachel's life back to normal after Izzy's death once she returns to school.
10. Describe Uncle Lenny's phone call.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grandpa Izzy dies leaving a legacy of ill feelings behind him. How would the story have progressed differently if Izzy had resolved his issues with Jeremy and Lenny before he died? Examine the impact this might have had on key characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Izzy's death leaves some of his family members regretting their unfinished business with him. Why do you think Izzy was unable to form close and lasting ties with anyone but Eva and Rachel? Is the Cooper family better off now that he is dead? Support and analyze both of your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Rachel and Izzy have striking similarities in their personalities and the way they deal with people.
1) Of Rachel and Izzy, who is more mature for their age?
2) Compare and contrast this granddaughter and grandfather.
3) Of Rachel and Izzy, whose way of dealing with the world is most effective?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)