|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Phil?
2. What is the day like when Rachel walks up and down West Creek Street counting the bridges?
3. What does Rachel tell Shirley she wants to do the Monday after Izzy is hospitalized?
4. What does Rachel say that her parents look like on the night that she stays at the hospital with Izzy?
5. How does Izzy greet Rachel each day, as of Chapter 36, when she arrives at the hospital to visit him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rachel and Izzy's visit to the cafe in Chapter 32.
2. Describe Izzy's surroundings in Chapter 35.
3. Describe Uncle Lenny's phone call.
4. Describe Lewis Olswanger.
5. How does Jeremy feel about the letters Rachel sends?
6. Why is Izzy furious with everyone in Chapter 38?
7. Are Rachel and Jeremy close?
8. Are Rachel's reactions to situations in Chapter 34 appropriate?
9. Does Dr. North respect Izzy?
10. Describe Izzy's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Rachel matures, she starts to see the people in her life as individual humans, rather than as the roles they play like parent or grandparent. What events occur to help Rachel see Shirley, Manny, and Izzy as people she can empathize with rather than merely as mom, dad, and grandfather? Write at least a paragraph to describe what happens to alter Rachel's perception of these characters.
Essay Topic 2
Rachel and Izzy have striking similarities in their personalities and the way they deal with people.
1) Of Rachel and Izzy, who is more mature for their age?
2) Compare and contrast this granddaughter and grandfather.
3) Of Rachel and Izzy, whose way of dealing with the world is most effective?
Essay Topic 3
The role of a caregiver can be overwhelming, yet rewarding. Select 3 characters in After the Rain who filled a caregiver role and explain how the story would have been altered if each person was not included in it. Explain how each person did or did not gain from their role as caregiver.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)