|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When they talk about Grandpa Izzy in Chapter 37, how does Rachel say she sometimes feels?
2. What does Rachel ask Jeremy on their walk?
3. What object are Rachel and the person she talks to in Chapter 45 standing in front of?
4. What do Izzy and Rachel share on the park bench in Chapter 33?
5. What does Rachel argue about with her parents in Chapter 40?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lewis Olswanger.
2. Are Rachel and Jeremy close?
3. How does Helena convince Izzy to let them have the party at his house?
4. Why doesn't Rachel want to leave the hospital with her parents on Tuesday night in Chapter 40?
5. Describe the meal the Coopers share in the hospital cafeteria in Chapter 38.
6. How does Jeremy feel about the letters Rachel sends?
7. How does Rachel say her family is dealing with Izzy's illness in her journal entry in Chapter 31?
8. Explain Izzy's instructions regarding his death.
9. Describe Rachel's feelings about Izzy's death based on her phone call with Lewis in Chapter 37.
10. How does Rachel react to her Grandfather's groans as she waits outside his hospital room in Chapter 34?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme of After the Rain is the competition for affection and attention. Analyze how this plays out between the following sets of characters:
1) Lewis and Izzy.
2) Helena and Rachel.
3) Rachel and Alice Farnum.
Essay Topic 2
Grandpa Izzy dies leaving a legacy of ill feelings behind him. How would the story have progressed differently if Izzy had resolved his issues with Jeremy and Lenny before he died? Examine the impact this might have had on key characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In some ways Lewis is a typical teenager and in others he shows maturity beyond his years.
1) Why do you think Lewis is able to be so supportive of Rachel during her grandfather's illness?
2) How does Lewis react to life as a stereotypical teenager in the novel?
3) Analyze the fact that Rachel's first boyfriend helps her through her first experience of death.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)