|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel write a story about in Chapter 44?
2. Who comes to visit Izzy on Sunday in Chapter 39?
3. What does Dr. North tell Izzy after his collapse on Baker Street?
4. What does Rachel's family do when they go to the cemetery in Chapter 42?
5. What does Izzy insist that Shirley take home with her, even though she made it for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are Rachel and Jeremy close?
2. How does Rachel celebrate Helena's birthday?
3. Does Dr. North respect Izzy?
4. What happens when Izzy says he is afraid to go to sleep at the hospital.
5. Describe Izzy's death.
6. Is Rachel responsible, as of Chapter 31?
7. How does Rachel feel about MB?
8. How does Jeremy feel about the letters Rachel sends?
9. Is Rachel a stubborn person?
10. Describe Izzy's surroundings in Chapter 35.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine that the character of Jeremy was not in the story.
1) Describe what information would be lost.
2) How did Jeremy's experience in the war affect his ability to have a relationship with his grandfather?
3) Explain why Jeremy never answers Rachel's letters.
Essay Topic 2
Lewis and Helena have special roles as Rachel's peers in After the Rain.
1) Compare and contrast these two characters.
2) Why do you think these two young people are attracted to Rachel?
3) Of Lewis, Helena, and Rachel who would you want to have as a friend and why?
Essay Topic 3
Should the Coopers have told Izzy about the severity of his illness earlier, or was Dr. North right not to tell him since there was not a cure for his cancer? What determines whether it is right or wrong to give someone this sort of information? Under what circumstances would you change your answer?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)