|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Rachel jealous of MB?
2. Who spends the night with Izzy on the Saturday he says he is afraid to sleep?
3. Where is Rachel headed at the end of After the Rain?
4. On Tuesday night in Chapter 40, what does Rachel do when Manny holds the elevator door open for her?
5. What does Izzy demand, as the Coopers are leaving, in Chapter 38?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Izzy says he is afraid to go to sleep at the hospital.
2. Describe Lewis Olswanger.
3. Is Rachel's life back to normal after Izzy's death once she returns to school.
4. Why doesn't Rachel want to leave the hospital with her parents on Tuesday night in Chapter 40?
5. How does Rachel feel about MB?
6. How does Shirley cope with her father's illness?
7. What does Izzy's handprint mean to Rachel?
8. How does Rachel deal with her confusing feelings about her grandfather's illness and impending death in Chapter 37?
9. How does Rachel say her family is dealing with Izzy's illness in her journal entry in Chapter 31?
10. Describe Izzy and Rachel's daily routine at the hospital in Chapter 36.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Certain objects in After the Rain have significance to the story or certain characters. Select 3 items such as the jade plant, jelly beans, Alice's turban, Izzy's handprint, the bridges, dogs, or any others and analyze their importance in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Rachel's coming of age and Izzy's death are intricately woven together in After the Rain.
1) Analyze how Izzy's deaths contributes to Rachel's growth.
2) Who changes more during their relationship, Rachel or Izzy? Support your response.
3) How does the dead character of Eva affect both Rachel's growth and Izzy's feelings about dying?
Essay Topic 3
As Rachel matures, she starts to see the people in her life as individual humans, rather than as the roles they play like parent or grandparent. What events occur to help Rachel see Shirley, Manny, and Izzy as people she can empathize with rather than merely as mom, dad, and grandfather? Write at least a paragraph to describe what happens to alter Rachel's perception of these characters.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)