|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the person that Rachel thanks react in the final chapter of the story?
2. How does Izzy treat the person who visits him in Chapter 39?
3. How is Rachel's issue that she brings up to Shirley settled on the Monday after Izzy is hospitalized?
4. When they talk about Grandpa Izzy in Chapter 37, how does Rachel say she sometimes feels?
5. Who spends the night with Izzy on the Saturday he says he is afraid to sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rachel celebrate Helena's birthday?
2. Explain Izzy's instructions regarding his death.
3. How does Rachel deal with her confusing feelings about her grandfather's illness and impending death in Chapter 37?
4. Are Rachel and Jeremy close?
5. Describe Uncle Lenny's phone call.
6. Describe Rachel and Izzy's visit to the cafe in Chapter 32.
7. How does Helena convince Izzy to let them have the party at his house?
8. Are Rachel's reactions to situations in Chapter 34 appropriate?
9. What happens when Izzy says he is afraid to go to sleep at the hospital.
10. Describe Lewis Olswanger.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The change in Rachel and Izzy's relationship as the older man gets sicker and closer to death is the basis for much of Rachel's personal growth in the story and perhaps his too.
1) Select three pivotal moments in the story that changed Rachel and Izzy's relationship, and explain your choices.
2) Why is Rachel the only person in the family that Izzy seems willing to get close to?
3) Could a positive event have served as the catalyst to change Rachel and Izzy's relationship? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In some ways Lewis is a typical teenager and in others he shows maturity beyond his years.
1) Why do you think Lewis is able to be so supportive of Rachel during her grandfather's illness?
2) How does Lewis react to life as a stereotypical teenager in the novel?
3) Analyze the fact that Rachel's first boyfriend helps her through her first experience of death.
Essay Topic 3
Grandpa Izzy dies leaving a legacy of ill feelings behind him. How would the story have progressed differently if Izzy had resolved his issues with Jeremy and Lenny before he died? Examine the impact this might have had on key characters in the novel.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)