|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shirley do when Rachel tells her about Izzy's second fall a full day after it occurs?
2. How does the person that Rachel thanks react in the final chapter of the story?
3. Who calls Rachel to find out how Izzy is doing on Saturday in Chapter 33?
4. Where does Uncle Lenny call from?
5. What does Jeremy ask Rachel to do in Chapter 43?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the meal the Coopers share in the hospital cafeteria in Chapter 38.
2. Are Rachel and Jeremy close?
3. What does Izzy's handprint mean to Rachel?
4. How does Shirley cope with her father's illness?
5. How does Izzy's death impact his family as a whole?
6. How does Rachel feel about MB?
7. Describe Izzy and Rachel's daily routine at the hospital in Chapter 36.
8. Is Rachel responsible, as of Chapter 31?
9. Why doesn't Rachel want to leave the hospital with her parents on Tuesday night in Chapter 40?
10. How does Rachel celebrate Helena's birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lewis and Helena have special roles as Rachel's peers in After the Rain.
1) Compare and contrast these two characters.
2) Why do you think these two young people are attracted to Rachel?
3) Of Lewis, Helena, and Rachel who would you want to have as a friend and why?
Essay Topic 2
Should the Coopers have told Izzy about the severity of his illness earlier, or was Dr. North right not to tell him since there was not a cure for his cancer? What determines whether it is right or wrong to give someone this sort of information? Under what circumstances would you change your answer?
Essay Topic 3
Grandpa Izzy dies leaving a legacy of ill feelings behind him. How would the story have progressed differently if Izzy had resolved his issues with Jeremy and Lenny before he died? Examine the impact this might have had on key characters in the novel.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)