|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Phil?
2. In Rachel's journal account of Chapter 39, why does she say that Shirley had to leave Izzy on Sunday?
3. What does Rachel say when the family reminisces about Izzy in Chapter 42?
4. What does Rachel tell Lewis about returning to school in Chapter 37?
5. What happens after Izzy's treatment in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rachel's feelings about Izzy's death based on her phone call with Lewis in Chapter 37.
2. Why doesn't Rachel want to leave the hospital with her parents on Tuesday night in Chapter 40?
3. Describe the meal the Coopers share in the hospital cafeteria in Chapter 38.
4. How does Rachel celebrate Helena's birthday?
5. Is Rachel a stubborn person?
6. What does Izzy's handprint mean to Rachel?
7. Describe Izzy and Rachel's daily routine at the hospital in Chapter 36.
8. How does Rachel say her family is dealing with Izzy's illness in her journal entry in Chapter 31?
9. How does Rachel react to her Grandfather's groans as she waits outside his hospital room in Chapter 34?
10. How does Helena convince Izzy to let them have the party at his house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine that the character of Jeremy was not in the story.
1) Describe what information would be lost.
2) How did Jeremy's experience in the war affect his ability to have a relationship with his grandfather?
3) Explain why Jeremy never answers Rachel's letters.
Essay Topic 2
In some ways Lewis is a typical teenager and in others he shows maturity beyond his years.
1) Why do you think Lewis is able to be so supportive of Rachel during her grandfather's illness?
2) How does Lewis react to life as a stereotypical teenager in the novel?
3) Analyze the fact that Rachel's first boyfriend helps her through her first experience of death.
Essay Topic 3
Lewis and Helena have special roles as Rachel's peers in After the Rain.
1) Compare and contrast these two characters.
2) Why do you think these two young people are attracted to Rachel?
3) Of Lewis, Helena, and Rachel who would you want to have as a friend and why?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)