|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel hear in Chapter 34 when she is outside of Izzy's hospital room?
2. What special request did Izzy have in regards to his funeral?
3. What does Rachel tell Lewis about returning to school in Chapter 37?
4. Who is at Izzy's apartment when he and Rachel return from their first walk after his second fall?
5. What does Rachel ask Jeremy on their walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Izzy says he is afraid to go to sleep at the hospital.
2. Describe Izzy's death.
3. Describe Izzy and Rachel's daily routine at the hospital in Chapter 36.
4. Is Rachel a stubborn person?
5. Explain Izzy's instructions regarding his death.
6. How does Rachel feel about MB?
7. How does Rachel react to her Grandfather's groans as she waits outside his hospital room in Chapter 34?
8. Describe Rachel's feelings about Izzy's death based on her phone call with Lewis in Chapter 37.
9. Why is Izzy furious with everyone in Chapter 38?
10. How does Izzy's death impact his family as a whole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the feelings that Rachel expresses in her journal, to those she express in her letters to Jeremy, and to those feelings that the author narrates. Be sure to refer to specific examples in the story to illustrate the differences between the expression of her feelings in these different formats.
Essay Topic 2
Grandpa Izzy dies leaving a legacy of ill feelings behind him. How would the story have progressed differently if Izzy had resolved his issues with Jeremy and Lenny before he died? Examine the impact this might have had on key characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The role of a caregiver can be overwhelming, yet rewarding. Select 3 characters in After the Rain who filled a caregiver role and explain how the story would have been altered if each person was not included in it. Explain how each person did or did not gain from their role as caregiver.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)