|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rachel decide to skip the birthday party in Chapter 32?
2. What does Izzy complain about in Chapter 38?
3. When they talk about Grandpa Izzy in Chapter 37, how does Rachel say she sometimes feels?
4. Where does that last chapter of this book take place?
5. What happens during the night that Rachel stays at the hotel with Izzy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Izzy's surroundings in Chapter 35.
2. Describe Izzy and Rachel's daily routine at the hospital in Chapter 36.
3. Why is Izzy furious with everyone in Chapter 38?
4. How does Rachel say her family is dealing with Izzy's illness in her journal entry in Chapter 31?
5. Is Rachel responsible, as of Chapter 31?
6. Describe Rachel's feelings about Izzy's death based on her phone call with Lewis in Chapter 37.
7. Explain Izzy's instructions regarding his death.
8. How does Helena convince Izzy to let them have the party at his house?
9. Are Rachel and Jeremy close?
10. How does Rachel deal with her confusing feelings about her grandfather's illness and impending death in Chapter 37?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The change in Rachel and Izzy's relationship as the older man gets sicker and closer to death is the basis for much of Rachel's personal growth in the story and perhaps his too.
1) Select three pivotal moments in the story that changed Rachel and Izzy's relationship, and explain your choices.
2) Why is Rachel the only person in the family that Izzy seems willing to get close to?
3) Could a positive event have served as the catalyst to change Rachel and Izzy's relationship? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the feelings that Rachel expresses in her journal, to those she express in her letters to Jeremy, and to those feelings that the author narrates. Be sure to refer to specific examples in the story to illustrate the differences between the expression of her feelings in these different formats.
Essay Topic 3
Rachel and Izzy have striking similarities in their personalities and the way they deal with people.
1) Of Rachel and Izzy, who is more mature for their age?
2) Compare and contrast this granddaughter and grandfather.
3) Of Rachel and Izzy, whose way of dealing with the world is most effective?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)