|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jeremy ask Rachel to do in Chapter 43?
2. Who spends the night with Izzy on the Saturday he says he is afraid to sleep?
3. What do Lewis and Rachel go look for on the Saturday they fill their back packs with food?
4. What does Izzy complain about in Chapter 38?
5. When they talk about Grandpa Izzy in Chapter 37, how does Rachel say she sometimes feels?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Rachel responsible, as of Chapter 31?
2. Describe Izzy and Rachel's daily routine at the hospital in Chapter 36.
3. How does Jeremy feel about the letters Rachel sends?
4. Describe Rachel's feelings about Izzy's death based on her phone call with Lewis in Chapter 37.
5. What does Izzy's handprint mean to Rachel?
6. How does Rachel react to her Grandfather's groans as she waits outside his hospital room in Chapter 34?
7. Is Rachel a stubborn person?
8. How does Rachel feel about MB?
9. Who is Rachel closest to in After the Rain?
10. Describe Uncle Lenny's phone call.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the feelings that Rachel expresses in her journal, to those she express in her letters to Jeremy, and to those feelings that the author narrates. Be sure to refer to specific examples in the story to illustrate the differences between the expression of her feelings in these different formats.
Essay Topic 2
In some ways Lewis is a typical teenager and in others he shows maturity beyond his years.
1) Why do you think Lewis is able to be so supportive of Rachel during her grandfather's illness?
2) How does Lewis react to life as a stereotypical teenager in the novel?
3) Analyze the fact that Rachel's first boyfriend helps her through her first experience of death.
Essay Topic 3
Rachel's coming of age and Izzy's death are intricately woven together in After the Rain.
1) Analyze how Izzy's deaths contributes to Rachel's growth.
2) Who changes more during their relationship, Rachel or Izzy? Support your response.
3) How does the dead character of Eva affect both Rachel's growth and Izzy's feelings about dying?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)