|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term of endearment does Izzy call Rachel on the day of the birthday party?
2. Where is Izzy taken directly after collapsing on Baker Street?
3. What does Rachel tell Lewis that it seems like her grandfather is doing when they speak in Chapter 37?
4. What object are Rachel and the person she talks to in Chapter 45 standing in front of?
5. What does Dr. North tell Izzy after his collapse on Baker Street?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rachel's feelings about Izzy's death based on her phone call with Lewis in Chapter 37.
2. Is Rachel responsible, as of Chapter 31?
3. How does Jeremy feel about the letters Rachel sends?
4. Are Rachel and Jeremy close?
5. Describe the meal the Coopers share in the hospital cafeteria in Chapter 38.
6. What happens when Izzy says he is afraid to go to sleep at the hospital.
7. Does Dr. North respect Izzy?
8. How does Helena convince Izzy to let them have the party at his house?
9. Describe Izzy's interactions with the hospital staff in Chapter 36.
10. Is Rachel's life back to normal after Izzy's death once she returns to school.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The process of Izzy's death moved Rachel from disbelief to grief and back to hope again.
1) Describe the process of accepting the death of a loved one as illustrated in this story.
2) Explain how grief affected the actions of at least 3 characters in the novel.
3) Analyze the correlation between transformation and loss.
Essay Topic 2
Acceptance of death is an on-going theme in the novel.
1) Which character does the best job of dealing with Izzy's impending death and why?
2) Which character will have the most difficult time after Izzy's death?
3) Based on events in the story, explain whether it is easier to deal with a family member death if you have a good relationship with them or a strained one.
Essay Topic 3
Select one of these options to write about:
1) Explain why you think visual imagery, symbolism, or irony is the most important literary technique in the novel.
2) Analyze animal metaphors in the story.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)