|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to visit Izzy on Sunday in Chapter 39?
2. What does Uncle Lenny tell Rachel that surprises her?
3. When do Rachel and Jeremy go for a walk in Chapter 43?
4. What does Jeremy point out to Rachel when they take their walk on the day they scatter Izzy's ashes?
5. When they speak in Chapter 37, what is the tone of the conversation that Rachel and Lewis have?
Essay Topic 1
As Rachel matures, she starts to see the people in her life as individual humans, rather than as the roles they play like parent or grandparent. What events occur to help Rachel see Shirley, Manny, and Izzy as people she can empathize with rather than merely as mom, dad, and grandfather? Write at least a paragraph to describe what happens to alter Rachel's perception of these characters.
Essay Topic 2
One theme of After the Rain is the competition for affection and attention. Analyze how this plays out between the following sets of characters:
1) Lewis and Izzy.
2) Helena and Rachel.
3) Rachel and Alice Farnum.
Essay Topic 3
Parent-Child relationships play an important part in After the Rain.
1) Select a parent child relationship from the story and explain how both the parent and the child impact each others' lives.
2) Decide who you think the best and worst parents in the story are. Compare and contrast the two characters.
3) Take the two parents you selected in number two. Reverse your answer and write a defense of the worst parent as a good parent and of the best parent as a bad parent.
This section contains 1,364 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)