|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the Coopers go to leave Izzy's room in the last part of Chapter 38?
2. How does Shirley react to Rachel's request on the Monday after Izzy is hospitalized?
3. Why does Rachel finally decide that she is so angry in Chapter 31?
4. What does Dr. North tell Izzy after his collapse on Baker Street?
5. Who arrives in Manny's room and asks Rachel to leave around 11 each day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the meal the Coopers share in the hospital cafeteria in Chapter 38.
2. What does Izzy's handprint mean to Rachel?
3. Describe Rachel's feelings about Izzy's death based on her phone call with Lewis in Chapter 37.
4. How does Jeremy feel about the letters Rachel sends?
5. Describe Izzy's death.
6. Describe Izzy's interactions with the hospital staff in Chapter 36.
7. How does Izzy's death impact his family as a whole?
8. How does Rachel celebrate Helena's birthday?
9. Describe Lewis Olswanger.
10. Are Rachel's reactions to situations in Chapter 34 appropriate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine that the character of Jeremy was not in the story.
1) Describe what information would be lost.
2) How did Jeremy's experience in the war affect his ability to have a relationship with his grandfather?
3) Explain why Jeremy never answers Rachel's letters.
Essay Topic 2
The role of a caregiver can be overwhelming, yet rewarding. Select 3 characters in After the Rain who filled a caregiver role and explain how the story would have been altered if each person was not included in it. Explain how each person did or did not gain from their role as caregiver.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the feelings that Rachel expresses in her journal, to those she express in her letters to Jeremy, and to those feelings that the author narrates. Be sure to refer to specific examples in the story to illustrate the differences between the expression of her feelings in these different formats.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)