|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose birthday occurs in Chapter 32?
2. What object are Rachel and the person she talks to in Chapter 45 standing in front of?
3. Who arrives in Manny's room and asks Rachel to leave around 11 each day?
4. In Chapter 44, what does Rachel complain to Manny about?
5. What does Rachel eat at the hospital cafeteria with her parents when Shirley complains about the food?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Izzy and Rachel's daily routine at the hospital in Chapter 36.
2. Describe Izzy's surroundings in Chapter 35.
3. Are Rachel and Jeremy close?
4. Describe Rachel and Izzy's visit to the cafe in Chapter 32.
5. What happens when Izzy says he is afraid to go to sleep at the hospital.
6. Why is Izzy furious with everyone in Chapter 38?
7. Are Rachel's reactions to situations in Chapter 34 appropriate?
8. Describe the meal the Coopers share in the hospital cafeteria in Chapter 38.
9. How does Shirley cope with her father's illness?
10. How does Helena convince Izzy to let them have the party at his house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Izzy's death leaves some of his family members regretting their unfinished business with him. Why do you think Izzy was unable to form close and lasting ties with anyone but Eva and Rachel? Is the Cooper family better off now that he is dead? Support and analyze both of your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Imagine that the character of Jeremy was not in the story.
1) Describe what information would be lost.
2) How did Jeremy's experience in the war affect his ability to have a relationship with his grandfather?
3) Explain why Jeremy never answers Rachel's letters.
Essay Topic 3
Rachel and Izzy have striking similarities in their personalities and the way they deal with people.
1) Of Rachel and Izzy, who is more mature for their age?
2) Compare and contrast this granddaughter and grandfather.
3) Of Rachel and Izzy, whose way of dealing with the world is most effective?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)