|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grandpa Izzy tell Rachel about when she calls him in Chapter 17?
2. What does Izzy tell Rachel he left on one of the bridges he worked on?
3. What does Izzy give to Alice Farnum in Chapter 26?
4. What does Shirley tell Manny she wants in Chapter 18?
5. Why does Rachel feel guilty about telling Helena about Grandpa Izzy's illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rachel feel about playing paddleball with Helena's family?
2. What is the mood like in the Cooper's house in Chapter 14?
3. How does Rachel feel about her family?
4. Describe the picture of Izzy and Eva that Izzy gives to Rachel.
5. Based on his actions in Chapter 12, is Lewis a sympathetic person?
6. Is Rachel mature or immature?
7. Why is Rachel initially confused about whether or not Lewis likes her?
8. What does the doctor say is wrong with Grandpa Izzy after his initial tests?
9. How does Rachel recognize Izzy's bad mood in Chapter 22?
10. How does Rachel feel about the possibility of Izzy coming to live at her house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one question to answer:
1) What if Dr. North had told Izzy about his impending death, rather than just Shirley? Explain how the event of the story might have unfolded differently.
2) How would the story have been different if it was Rachel, rather than Izzy, who was dying of cancer?
3) Analyze what the future would hold for Rachel and Izzy if the old man had recovered and lived?
Essay Topic 2
Lewis and Helena have special roles as Rachel's peers in After the Rain.
1) Compare and contrast these two characters.
2) Why do you think these two young people are attracted to Rachel?
3) Of Lewis, Helena, and Rachel who would you want to have as a friend and why?
Essay Topic 3
Grandpa Izzy dies leaving a legacy of ill feelings behind him. How would the story have progressed differently if Izzy had resolved his issues with Jeremy and Lenny before he died? Examine the impact this might have had on key characters in the novel.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)