|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Izzy get fired from his stonemason job?
2. Who accompanies Rachel to Poppie's Diner in Chapter 21?
3. What does Rachel tell Izzy to do in Chapter 18?
4. Why is Shirley upset on Sunday in Chapter 15?
5. What is one thing Manny does to anger Rachel in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rachel's first kiss.
2. Describe the place where Eva is buried.
3. Describe the picture of Izzy and Eva that Izzy gives to Rachel.
4. What is the tone of Rachel and Lewis's first two phone calls?
5. How does Shirley feel about the weekly visit to Izzy's after she first learns he has cancer?
6. Based on his actions in Chapter 12, is Lewis a sympathetic person?
7. What does Izzy tell Rachel about his handprint in Chapter 29?
8. How does Rachel recognize Izzy's bad mood in Chapter 22?
9. What shows the growing relationship between Rachel and Izzy in Chapter 25?
10. How does Rachel's handling of Izzy's fall affect her parent's perception of her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In some ways Lewis is a typical teenager and in others he shows maturity beyond his years.
1) Why do you think Lewis is able to be so supportive of Rachel during her grandfather's illness?
2) How does Lewis react to life as a stereotypical teenager in the novel?
3) Analyze the fact that Rachel's first boyfriend helps her through her first experience of death.
Essay Topic 2
Acceptance of death is an on-going theme in the novel.
1) Which character does the best job of dealing with Izzy's impending death and why?
2) Which character will have the most difficult time after Izzy's death?
3) Based on events in the story, explain whether it is easier to deal with a family member death if you have a good relationship with them or a strained one.
Essay Topic 3
Grandpa Izzy dies leaving a legacy of ill feelings behind him. How would the story have progressed differently if Izzy had resolved his issues with Jeremy and Lenny before he died? Examine the impact this might have had on key characters in the novel.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)