|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel describe happening in Chapter 2 at the kitchen table?
2. What does Izzy tell Rachel that Eva was afraid of?
3. When Rachel arrives at Izzy's for their walk in Chapter 23, what does she find?
4. What book does Rachel say she read five times when she was ten years old?
5. Why does Izzy cook for Rachel in Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Izzy's interactions with the hospital staff in Chapter 36.
2. Is Rachel's life back to normal after Izzy's death once she returns to school.
3. How does Shirley feel about the weekly visit to Izzy's after she first learns he has cancer?
4. What kind of a person is Helena?
5. What does Rachel learn about Coach Al?
6. How does Rachel feel about her family?
7. Describe Rachel and Izzy's visit to the cafe in Chapter 32.
8. How do the Coopers usually spend Sunday mornings?
9. Describe the relationship between Rachel and Jeremy.
10. Explain why Rachel feels trapped into walking with Grandpa Izzy in Chapter 20.
Essay Topic 1
Acceptance of death is an on-going theme in the novel.
1) Which character does the best job of dealing with Izzy's impending death and why?
2) Which character will have the most difficult time after Izzy's death?
3) Based on events in the story, explain whether it is easier to deal with a family member death if you have a good relationship with them or a strained one.
Essay Topic 2
Izzy's death leaves some of his family members regretting their unfinished business with him. Why do you think Izzy was unable to form close and lasting ties with anyone but Eva and Rachel? Is the Cooper family better off now that he is dead? Support and analyze both of your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Lewis and Helena have special roles as Rachel's peers in After the Rain.
1) Compare and contrast these two characters.
2) Why do you think these two young people are attracted to Rachel?
3) Of Lewis, Helena, and Rachel who would you want to have as a friend and why?
This section contains 1,851 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)