|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Izzy give to Rachel in Chapter 30?
2. Where does Rachel work from 5 to 9?
3. What does Izzy give to Alice Farnum in Chapter 26?
4. Why does Rachel suggest that Lewis was staring at her?
5. What does Dr. North say about Izzy's fall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Rachel want to leave the hospital with her parents on Tuesday night in Chapter 40?
2. What shows the growing relationship between Rachel and Izzy in Chapter 25?
3. What does Izzy's handprint mean to Rachel?
4. How does Rachel recognize Izzy's bad mood in Chapter 22?
5. Describe Rachel and Izzy's visit to the cafe in Chapter 32.
6. Describe Rachel and Lewis's first interactions.
7. Describe the meal the Coopers share in the hospital cafeteria in Chapter 38.
8. What does Rachel learn about Coach Al?
9. Describe Rachel's feelings about Izzy's death based on her phone call with Lewis in Chapter 37.
10. How does Rachel react to her Grandfather's groans as she waits outside his hospital room in Chapter 34?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lewis and Helena have special roles as Rachel's peers in After the Rain.
1) Compare and contrast these two characters.
2) Why do you think these two young people are attracted to Rachel?
3) Of Lewis, Helena, and Rachel who would you want to have as a friend and why?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one question to answer:
1) What if Dr. North had told Izzy about his impending death, rather than just Shirley? Explain how the event of the story might have unfolded differently.
2) How would the story have been different if it was Rachel, rather than Izzy, who was dying of cancer?
3) Analyze what the future would hold for Rachel and Izzy if the old man had recovered and lived?
Essay Topic 3
One theme of After the Rain is the competition for affection and attention. Analyze how this plays out between the following sets of characters:
1) Lewis and Izzy.
2) Helena and Rachel.
3) Rachel and Alice Farnum.
This section contains 1,815 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)