|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Izzy get fired from his stonemason job?
2. Why does Izzy cook for Rachel in Chapter 27?
3. Where do the Coopers go on Sunday mornings?
4. Who does Rachel interview for the school paper?
5. What does Dr. North give Shirley before she and Rachel leave his office?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rachel feel about her family?
2. What does the doctor say is wrong with Grandpa Izzy after his initial tests?
3. How does Shirley feel about the weekly visit to Izzy's after she first learns he has cancer?
4. How does Rachel recognize Izzy's bad mood in Chapter 22?
5. How do the Coopers usually spend Sunday mornings?
6. Explain why Rachel feels trapped into walking with Grandpa Izzy in Chapter 20.
7. What is the mood like in the Cooper's house in Chapter 14?
8. Describe the dinner when Izzy cooks for Rachel.
9. Describe the Scrabble game in Chapter 24.
10. Describe Rachel's first kiss.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the feelings that Rachel expresses in her journal, to those she express in her letters to Jeremy, and to those feelings that the author narrates. Be sure to refer to specific examples in the story to illustrate the differences between the expression of her feelings in these different formats.
Essay Topic 2
Izzy's death leaves some of his family members regretting their unfinished business with him. Why do you think Izzy was unable to form close and lasting ties with anyone but Eva and Rachel? Is the Cooper family better off now that he is dead? Support and analyze both of your answers.
Essay Topic 3
As Rachel matures, she starts to see the people in her life as individual humans, rather than as the roles they play like parent or grandparent. What events occur to help Rachel see Shirley, Manny, and Izzy as people she can empathize with rather than merely as mom, dad, and grandfather? Write at least a paragraph to describe what happens to alter Rachel's perception of these characters.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)