|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Rachel and Izzy do when their walk gets rained out in Chapter 24?
2. Why does Helena apologize to Rachel in Chapter 12?
3. What does Izzy tell Rachel about Eva, on their walk in Chapter 22?
4. Why does Rachel feel guilty about telling Helena about Grandpa Izzy's illness?
5. What does Izzy give to Rachel in Chapter 30?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on his actions in Chapter 12, is Lewis a sympathetic person?
2. Why is Rachel initially confused about whether or not Lewis likes her?
3. How does Shirley feel about the weekly visit to Izzy's after she first learns he has cancer?
4. Describe Rachel's first kiss.
5. How does Rachel feel about her family?
6. How does Rachel feel about playing paddleball with Helena's family?
7. Is Rachel mature or immature?
8. Why did Uncle Lenny and Izzy have a falling out?
9. Why does Rachel think that something is wrong with her in Chapter 13?
10. Describe the picture of Izzy and Eva that Izzy gives to Rachel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many minor characters in After the Rain have a large effect on the direction of the plot line and the character development of the main characters.
1) Compare and contrast two minor characters that you think are most important to the development of Rachel or Izzy.
2) Take one minor characters from the story and write a proposal for a novel based on that character.
3) Which of these characters has the biggest and smallest impact on the story: Alice Farnum, Nurse Brandy, Coach Al, Mikey, the Minors, or Helena? Support you answer.
Essay Topic 2
Should the Coopers have told Izzy about the severity of his illness earlier, or was Dr. North right not to tell him since there was not a cure for his cancer? What determines whether it is right or wrong to give someone this sort of information? Under what circumstances would you change your answer?
Essay Topic 3
One theme of After the Rain is the competition for affection and attention. Analyze how this plays out between the following sets of characters:
1) Lewis and Izzy.
2) Helena and Rachel.
3) Rachel and Alice Farnum.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)