|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plays basketball every Saturday?
2. What happens to Grandpa Izzy that requires Rachel to go get him in Chapter 16?
3. What do Rachel and Izzy do when their walk gets rained out in Chapter 24?
4. Why are Rachel's parents annoyed with her when she first arrives home in the beginning of Chapter 17?
5. What is Shirley doing when Rachel apologizes to her in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Izzy and Rachel's bus trip.
2. Is Rachel mature or immature?
3. What does the doctor say is wrong with Grandpa Izzy after his initial tests?
4. What shows the growing relationship between Rachel and Izzy in Chapter 25?
5. Based on his actions in Chapter 12, is Lewis a sympathetic person?
6. Describe Rachel's first kiss.
7. How do the Coopers usually spend Sunday mornings?
8. Why does Rachel think that something is wrong with her in Chapter 13?
9. How does Rachel feel about playing paddleball with Helena's family?
10. How does Rachel feel about her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many minor characters in After the Rain have a large effect on the direction of the plot line and the character development of the main characters.
1) Compare and contrast two minor characters that you think are most important to the development of Rachel or Izzy.
2) Take one minor characters from the story and write a proposal for a novel based on that character.
3) Which of these characters has the biggest and smallest impact on the story: Alice Farnum, Nurse Brandy, Coach Al, Mikey, the Minors, or Helena? Support you answer.
Essay Topic 2
Grandpa Izzy dies leaving a legacy of ill feelings behind him. How would the story have progressed differently if Izzy had resolved his issues with Jeremy and Lenny before he died? Examine the impact this might have had on key characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The role of a caregiver can be overwhelming, yet rewarding. Select 3 characters in After the Rain who filled a caregiver role and explain how the story would have been altered if each person was not included in it. Explain how each person did or did not gain from their role as caregiver.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)