|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else does Izzy say to Rachel every day after their walks when they reach his apartment lobby?
2. What do the Coopers do while they are at Grandpa Izzy's in Chapter 15?
3. Where do Rachel and her friends go after school lets out in Chapter 19?
4. What happens to Rachel at school on Monday in Chapter 7?
5. How does Rachel begin Monday morning in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shirley feel about the weekly visit to Izzy's after she first learns he has cancer?
2. Explain why Rachel feels trapped into walking with Grandpa Izzy in Chapter 20.
3. Describe the Scrabble game in Chapter 24.
4. Describe the place where Eva is buried.
5. Describe Izzy and Rachel's bus trip.
6. Describe Alice Farnum's appearance.
7. Based on his actions in Chapter 12, is Lewis a sympathetic person?
8. What does Rachel learn about Coach Al?
9. Describe the relationship between Rachel and Jeremy.
10. Why are Izzy's houseplants so important to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The change in Rachel and Izzy's relationship as the older man gets sicker and closer to death is the basis for much of Rachel's personal growth in the story and perhaps his too.
1) Select three pivotal moments in the story that changed Rachel and Izzy's relationship, and explain your choices.
2) Why is Rachel the only person in the family that Izzy seems willing to get close to?
3) Could a positive event have served as the catalyst to change Rachel and Izzy's relationship? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Should the Coopers have told Izzy about the severity of his illness earlier, or was Dr. North right not to tell him since there was not a cure for his cancer? What determines whether it is right or wrong to give someone this sort of information? Under what circumstances would you change your answer?
Essay Topic 3
The role of a caregiver can be overwhelming, yet rewarding. Select 3 characters in After the Rain who filled a caregiver role and explain how the story would have been altered if each person was not included in it. Explain how each person did or did not gain from their role as caregiver.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)