|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel do to occupy her mind while walking with Izzy after school in Chapter 20?
2. What does Izzy tell Rachel he left on one of the bridges he worked on?
3. Why is Grandpa Izzy angry at Rachel in Chapter 20?
4. Who does Izzy say Rachel should have been named for?
5. Who ran away to England when he was younger than Rachel is in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the picture of Izzy and Eva that Izzy gives to Rachel.
2. How does Rachel's handling of Izzy's fall affect her parent's perception of her?
3. How does Rachel recognize Izzy's bad mood in Chapter 22?
4. What does the doctor say is wrong with Grandpa Izzy after his initial tests?
5. Why does Rachel think that something is wrong with her in Chapter 13?
6. Is Rachel mature or immature?
7. Describe the relationship between Rachel and Jeremy.
8. Describe the place where Eva is buried.
9. Describe Izzy and Rachel's bus trip.
10. How do the Coopers usually spend Sunday mornings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lewis and Helena have special roles as Rachel's peers in After the Rain.
1) Compare and contrast these two characters.
2) Why do you think these two young people are attracted to Rachel?
3) Of Lewis, Helena, and Rachel who would you want to have as a friend and why?
Essay Topic 2
Izzy's death leaves some of his family members regretting their unfinished business with him. Why do you think Izzy was unable to form close and lasting ties with anyone but Eva and Rachel? Is the Cooper family better off now that he is dead? Support and analyze both of your answers.
Essay Topic 3
As Rachel matures, she starts to see the people in her life as individual humans, rather than as the roles they play like parent or grandparent. What events occur to help Rachel see Shirley, Manny, and Izzy as people she can empathize with rather than merely as mom, dad, and grandfather? Write at least a paragraph to describe what happens to alter Rachel's perception of these characters.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)