|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Shirley mad at Rachel in Chapter 13?
2. Where do Rachel and her mother go to picky up Izzy in Chapter 7?
3. Why does Helena apologize to Rachel in Chapter 12?
4. Where do the Coopers go on Sunday mornings?
5. What performance comes to town in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Rachel and Jeremy.
2. How does Shirley feel about the weekly visit to Izzy's after she first learns he has cancer?
3. Describe the place where Eva is buried.
4. Describe the picture of Izzy and Eva that Izzy gives to Rachel.
5. Based on his actions in Chapter 12, is Lewis a sympathetic person?
6. How does Rachel feel about the possibility of Izzy coming to live at her house?
7. Is Rachel mature or immature?
8. Explain why Rachel feels trapped into walking with Grandpa Izzy in Chapter 20.
9. How does Rachel recognize Izzy's bad mood in Chapter 22?
10. Why did Uncle Lenny and Izzy have a falling out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one question to answer:
1) What if Dr. North had told Izzy about his impending death, rather than just Shirley? Explain how the event of the story might have unfolded differently.
2) How would the story have been different if it was Rachel, rather than Izzy, who was dying of cancer?
3) Analyze what the future would hold for Rachel and Izzy if the old man had recovered and lived?
Essay Topic 2
Lewis and Helena have special roles as Rachel's peers in After the Rain.
1) Compare and contrast these two characters.
2) Why do you think these two young people are attracted to Rachel?
3) Of Lewis, Helena, and Rachel who would you want to have as a friend and why?
Essay Topic 3
The change in Rachel and Izzy's relationship as the older man gets sicker and closer to death is the basis for much of Rachel's personal growth in the story and perhaps his too.
1) Select three pivotal moments in the story that changed Rachel and Izzy's relationship, and explain your choices.
2) Why is Rachel the only person in the family that Izzy seems willing to get close to?
3) Could a positive event have served as the catalyst to change Rachel and Izzy's relationship? Support your answer.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)