Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Grandpa Izzy angry at Rachel in Chapter 20?
2. Why does Helena apologize to Rachel in Chapter 12?
3. What does Rachel want to be when she grows up?
4. What book does Rachel say she read five times when she was ten years old?
5. What is true of Izzy and Rachel's walk up Schyler Hill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mood like in the Cooper's house in Chapter 14?
2. What shows the growing relationship between Rachel and Izzy in Chapter 25?
3. What is the tone of Rachel and Lewis's first two phone calls?
4. How does Rachel recognize Izzy's bad mood in Chapter 22?
5. Describe Izzy's surroundings in Chapter 35.
6. How does Izzy's death impact his family as a whole?
7. Why are Izzy's houseplants so important to him?
8. How does Rachel react to her Grandfather's groans as she waits outside his hospital room in Chapter 34?
9. What does the doctor say is wrong with Grandpa Izzy after his initial tests?
10. Is Rachel responsible, as of Chapter 31?
Essay Topic 1
One theme of After the Rain is the competition for affection and attention. Analyze how this plays out between the following sets of characters:
1) Lewis and Izzy.
2) Helena and Rachel.
3) Rachel and Alice Farnum.
Essay Topic 2
Select one of these options to write about:
1) Explain why you think visual imagery, symbolism, or irony is the most important literary technique in the novel.
2) Analyze animal metaphors in the story.
Essay Topic 3
The change in Rachel and Izzy's relationship as the older man gets sicker and closer to death is the basis for much of Rachel's personal growth in the story and perhaps his too.
1) Select three pivotal moments in the story that changed Rachel and Izzy's relationship, and explain your choices.
2) Why is Rachel the only person in the family that Izzy seems willing to get close to?
3) Could a positive event have served as the catalyst to change Rachel and Izzy's relationship? Support your answer.
This section contains 1,804 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)