|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel do to occupy her mind while walking with Izzy after school in Chapter 20?
2. Why did Izzy get fired from his stonemason job?
3. In Chapter 16, who calls the Cooper's house while Rachel is home alone?
4. Where does Lewis take Rachel in Chapter 30?
5. What does Grandpa Izzy tell Rachel about when she calls him in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mood like in the Cooper's house in Chapter 14?
2. How does Rachel feel about her family?
3. Why are Izzy's houseplants so important to him?
4. What does Rachel learn about Coach Al?
5. What shows the growing relationship between Rachel and Izzy in Chapter 25?
6. Is Rachel mature or immature?
7. What kind of a person is Helena?
8. Describe Alice Farnum's appearance.
9. Describe the picture of Izzy and Eva that Izzy gives to Rachel.
10. Based on his actions in Chapter 12, is Lewis a sympathetic person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Should the Coopers have told Izzy about the severity of his illness earlier, or was Dr. North right not to tell him since there was not a cure for his cancer? What determines whether it is right or wrong to give someone this sort of information? Under what circumstances would you change your answer?
Essay Topic 2
Parent-Child relationships play an important part in After the Rain.
1) Select a parent child relationship from the story and explain how both the parent and the child impact each others' lives.
2) Decide who you think the best and worst parents in the story are. Compare and contrast the two characters.
3) Take the two parents you selected in number two. Reverse your answer and write a defense of the worst parent as a good parent and of the best parent as a bad parent.
Essay Topic 3
As Rachel matures, she starts to see the people in her life as individual humans, rather than as the roles they play like parent or grandparent. What events occur to help Rachel see Shirley, Manny, and Izzy as people she can empathize with rather than merely as mom, dad, and grandfather? Write at least a paragraph to describe what happens to alter Rachel's perception of these characters.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)