|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Izzy tell Rachel he left on one of the bridges he worked on?
2. After meeting with Dr. North, what does Shirley tell her father about his health?
3. What is true of Izzy and Rachel's walk up Schyler Hill?
4. What is one thing Manny does to anger Rachel in Chapter 2?
5. Who writes a letter and who is the recipient in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rachel's first kiss.
2. Why does Rachel think that something is wrong with her in Chapter 13?
3. Why did Uncle Lenny and Izzy have a falling out?
4. What does the doctor say is wrong with Grandpa Izzy after his initial tests?
5. Why are Izzy's houseplants so important to him?
6. Based on his actions in Chapter 12, is Lewis a sympathetic person?
7. How does Rachel's handling of Izzy's fall affect her parent's perception of her?
8. Describe Rachel and Lewis's first interactions.
9. What is the mood like in the Cooper's house in Chapter 14?
10. Describe the relationship between Rachel and Jeremy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many minor characters in After the Rain have a large effect on the direction of the plot line and the character development of the main characters.
1) Compare and contrast two minor characters that you think are most important to the development of Rachel or Izzy.
2) Take one minor characters from the story and write a proposal for a novel based on that character.
3) Which of these characters has the biggest and smallest impact on the story: Alice Farnum, Nurse Brandy, Coach Al, Mikey, the Minors, or Helena? Support you answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the feelings that Rachel expresses in her journal, to those she express in her letters to Jeremy, and to those feelings that the author narrates. Be sure to refer to specific examples in the story to illustrate the differences between the expression of her feelings in these different formats.
Essay Topic 3
Parent-Child relationships play an important part in After the Rain.
1) Select a parent child relationship from the story and explain how both the parent and the child impact each others' lives.
2) Decide who you think the best and worst parents in the story are. Compare and contrast the two characters.
3) Take the two parents you selected in number two. Reverse your answer and write a defense of the worst parent as a good parent and of the best parent as a bad parent.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)