|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Izzy tell Rachel called to check on him after his fall?
2. What does Izzy tell Rachel about the stone wall they see on their walk in Chapter 23?
3. What does Dr. North give Shirley before she and Rachel leave his office?
4. Who does Izzy say Rachel should have been named for?
5. What do the Coopers do while they are at Grandpa Izzy's in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rachel's first kiss.
2. What kind of a person is Helena?
3. What does the doctor say is wrong with Grandpa Izzy after his initial tests?
4. Describe the dinner when Izzy cooks for Rachel.
5. What does Izzy tell Rachel about his handprint in Chapter 29?
6. Based on his actions in Chapter 12, is Lewis a sympathetic person?
7. How does Rachel's handling of Izzy's fall affect her parent's perception of her?
8. Describe the place where Eva is buried.
9. Describe Rachel and Lewis's first interactions.
10. Explain why Rachel feels trapped into walking with Grandpa Izzy in Chapter 20.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many minor characters in After the Rain have a large effect on the direction of the plot line and the character development of the main characters.
1) Compare and contrast two minor characters that you think are most important to the development of Rachel or Izzy.
2) Take one minor characters from the story and write a proposal for a novel based on that character.
3) Which of these characters has the biggest and smallest impact on the story: Alice Farnum, Nurse Brandy, Coach Al, Mikey, the Minors, or Helena? Support you answer.
Essay Topic 2
Rachel's coming of age and Izzy's death are intricately woven together in After the Rain.
1) Analyze how Izzy's deaths contributes to Rachel's growth.
2) Who changes more during their relationship, Rachel or Izzy? Support your response.
3) How does the dead character of Eva affect both Rachel's growth and Izzy's feelings about dying?
Essay Topic 3
Acceptance of death is an on-going theme in the novel.
1) Which character does the best job of dealing with Izzy's impending death and why?
2) Which character will have the most difficult time after Izzy's death?
3) Based on events in the story, explain whether it is easier to deal with a family member death if you have a good relationship with them or a strained one.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)