|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can Rachel tell that Izzy is in a bad mood when she arrives for their walk on Friday in Chapter 22?
2. What best describes Izzy's mood at the family dinner in Chapter 15?
3. Who ran away to England when he was younger than Rachel is in the story?
4. Who does Rachel see at the Civic Center when she and her father go to the performance there?
5. Who does Izzy say Rachel should have been named for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tone of Rachel and Lewis's first two phone calls?
2. Describe the Scrabble game in Chapter 24.
3. How does Rachel feel about her family?
4. Is Rachel mature or immature?
5. Describe Izzy and Rachel's bus trip.
6. What shows the growing relationship between Rachel and Izzy in Chapter 25?
7. Describe Rachel's first kiss.
8. Describe the dinner when Izzy cooks for Rachel.
9. How does Rachel feel about the possibility of Izzy coming to live at her house?
10. How does Shirley feel about the weekly visit to Izzy's after she first learns he has cancer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Parent-Child relationships play an important part in After the Rain.
1) Select a parent child relationship from the story and explain how both the parent and the child impact each others' lives.
2) Decide who you think the best and worst parents in the story are. Compare and contrast the two characters.
3) Take the two parents you selected in number two. Reverse your answer and write a defense of the worst parent as a good parent and of the best parent as a bad parent.
Essay Topic 2
As Rachel matures, she starts to see the people in her life as individual humans, rather than as the roles they play like parent or grandparent. What events occur to help Rachel see Shirley, Manny, and Izzy as people she can empathize with rather than merely as mom, dad, and grandfather? Write at least a paragraph to describe what happens to alter Rachel's perception of these characters.
Essay Topic 3
Select one of these options to write about:
1) Explain why you think visual imagery, symbolism, or irony is the most important literary technique in the novel.
2) Analyze animal metaphors in the story.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)