Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Grandpa Izzy angry at Rachel in Chapter 20?
2. Why does Helena apologize to Rachel in Chapter 12?
3. What does Rachel want to be when she grows up?
4. What book does Rachel say she read five times when she was ten years old?
5. What is true of Izzy and Rachel's walk up Schyler Hill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mood like in the Cooper's house in Chapter 14?
2. What shows the growing relationship between Rachel and Izzy in Chapter 25?
3. What is the tone of Rachel and Lewis's first two phone calls?
4. How does Rachel recognize Izzy's bad mood in Chapter 22?
5. Describe Izzy's surroundings in Chapter 35.
6. How does Izzy's death impact his family as a whole?
7. Why are Izzy's houseplants so important to him?
8. How does Rachel react to her Grandfather's groans as she waits outside his hospital room in Chapter 34?
9. What does the doctor say is wrong with Grandpa Izzy after his initial tests?
10. Is Rachel responsible, as of Chapter 31?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the feelings that Rachel expresses in her journal, to those she express in her letters to Jeremy, and to those feelings that the author narrates. Be sure to refer to specific examples in the story to illustrate the differences between the expression of her feelings in these different formats.
Essay Topic 2
Izzy's death leaves some of his family members regretting their unfinished business with him. Why do you think Izzy was unable to form close and lasting ties with anyone but Eva and Rachel? Is the Cooper family better off now that he is dead? Support and analyze both of your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The process of Izzy's death moved Rachel from disbelief to grief and back to hope again.
1) Describe the process of accepting the death of a loved one as illustrated in this story.
2) Explain how grief affected the actions of at least 3 characters in the novel.
3) Analyze the correlation between transformation and loss.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)