Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Grandpa Izzy angry at Rachel in Chapter 20?
2. Why does Helena apologize to Rachel in Chapter 12?
3. What does Rachel want to be when she grows up?
4. What book does Rachel say she read five times when she was ten years old?
5. What is true of Izzy and Rachel's walk up Schyler Hill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mood like in the Cooper's house in Chapter 14?
2. What shows the growing relationship between Rachel and Izzy in Chapter 25?
3. What is the tone of Rachel and Lewis's first two phone calls?
4. How does Rachel recognize Izzy's bad mood in Chapter 22?
5. Describe Izzy's surroundings in Chapter 35.
6. How does Izzy's death impact his family as a whole?
7. Why are Izzy's houseplants so important to him?
8. How does Rachel react to her Grandfather's groans as she waits outside his hospital room in Chapter 34?
9. What does the doctor say is wrong with Grandpa Izzy after his initial tests?
10. Is Rachel responsible, as of Chapter 31?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one question to answer:
1) What if Dr. North had told Izzy about his impending death, rather than just Shirley? Explain how the event of the story might have unfolded differently.
2) How would the story have been different if it was Rachel, rather than Izzy, who was dying of cancer?
3) Analyze what the future would hold for Rachel and Izzy if the old man had recovered and lived?
Essay Topic 2
Select one of these options to write about:
1) Explain why you think visual imagery, symbolism, or irony is the most important literary technique in the novel.
2) Analyze animal metaphors in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Parent-Child relationships play an important part in After the Rain.
1) Select a parent child relationship from the story and explain how both the parent and the child impact each others' lives.
2) Decide who you think the best and worst parents in the story are. Compare and contrast the two characters.
3) Take the two parents you selected in number two. Reverse your answer and write a defense of the worst parent as a good parent and of the best parent as a bad parent.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)