Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Grandpa Izzy angry at Rachel in Chapter 20?
2. Why does Helena apologize to Rachel in Chapter 12?
3. What does Rachel want to be when she grows up?
4. What book does Rachel say she read five times when she was ten years old?
5. What is true of Izzy and Rachel's walk up Schyler Hill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mood like in the Cooper's house in Chapter 14?
2. What shows the growing relationship between Rachel and Izzy in Chapter 25?
3. What is the tone of Rachel and Lewis's first two phone calls?
4. How does Rachel recognize Izzy's bad mood in Chapter 22?
5. Describe Izzy's surroundings in Chapter 35.
6. How does Izzy's death impact his family as a whole?
7. Why are Izzy's houseplants so important to him?
8. How does Rachel react to her Grandfather's groans as she waits outside his hospital room in Chapter 34?
9. What does the doctor say is wrong with Grandpa Izzy after his initial tests?
10. Is Rachel responsible, as of Chapter 31?
The role of a caregiver can be overwhelming, yet rewarding. Select 3 characters in After the Rain who filled a caregiver role and explain how the story would have been altered if each person was not included in it. Explain how each person did or did not gain from their role as caregiver.
Certain objects in After the Rain have significance to the story or certain characters. Select 3 items such as the jade plant, jelly beans, Alice's turban, Izzy's handprint, the bridges, dogs, or any others and analyze their importance in the story.
Should the Coopers have told Izzy about the severity of his illness earlier, or was Dr. North right not to tell him since there was not a cure for his cancer? What determines whether it is right or wrong to give someone this sort of information? Under what circumstances would you change your answer?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)