|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Izzy and Eva meet?
2. Who accompanies Rachel to Poppie's Diner in Chapter 21?
3. What does Grandpa Izzy tell Rachel about when she calls him in Chapter 17?
4. What is one of the things that Eva asked Izzy to do after she died?
5. What does Rachel learn about Shirley and Manny in Chapter 30?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Rachel mature or immature?
2. What does Izzy tell Rachel about his handprint in Chapter 29?
3. How does Shirley feel about the weekly visit to Izzy's after she first learns he has cancer?
4. Describe Izzy and Rachel's bus trip.
5. Describe the place where Eva is buried.
6. Describe Alice Farnum's appearance.
7. Describe the picture of Izzy and Eva that Izzy gives to Rachel.
8. How does Rachel's handling of Izzy's fall affect her parent's perception of her?
9. Describe Rachel and Lewis's first interactions.
10. Why did Uncle Lenny and Izzy have a falling out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Should the Coopers have told Izzy about the severity of his illness earlier, or was Dr. North right not to tell him since there was not a cure for his cancer? What determines whether it is right or wrong to give someone this sort of information? Under what circumstances would you change your answer?
Essay Topic 2
Parent-Child relationships play an important part in After the Rain.
1) Select a parent child relationship from the story and explain how both the parent and the child impact each others' lives.
2) Decide who you think the best and worst parents in the story are. Compare and contrast the two characters.
3) Take the two parents you selected in number two. Reverse your answer and write a defense of the worst parent as a good parent and of the best parent as a bad parent.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one question to answer:
1) What if Dr. North had told Izzy about his impending death, rather than just Shirley? Explain how the event of the story might have unfolded differently.
2) How would the story have been different if it was Rachel, rather than Izzy, who was dying of cancer?
3) Analyze what the future would hold for Rachel and Izzy if the old man had recovered and lived?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)