|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rachel takes Izzy to a café in Chapter 28, what does she buy him?
2. What does Rachel describe happening in Chapter 2 at the kitchen table?
3. What is Rachel's nickname within her family?
4. What does Dr. North say is wrong with Grandpa Izzy when Rachel and Shirley meet him in Chapter 10?
5. Who does Izzy tell Rachel called to check on him after his fall?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rachel feel about the possibility of Izzy coming to live at her house?
2. What does the doctor say is wrong with Grandpa Izzy after his initial tests?
3. Why are Izzy's houseplants so important to him?
4. How does Shirley feel about the weekly visit to Izzy's after she first learns he has cancer?
5. How do the Coopers usually spend Sunday mornings?
6. Based on his actions in Chapter 12, is Lewis a sympathetic person?
7. What is the mood like in the Cooper's house in Chapter 14?
8. Describe the relationship between Rachel and Jeremy.
9. How does Rachel feel about playing paddleball with Helena's family?
10. Why does Rachel think that something is wrong with her in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one question to answer:
1) What if Dr. North had told Izzy about his impending death, rather than just Shirley? Explain how the event of the story might have unfolded differently.
2) How would the story have been different if it was Rachel, rather than Izzy, who was dying of cancer?
3) Analyze what the future would hold for Rachel and Izzy if the old man had recovered and lived?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the feelings that Rachel expresses in her journal, to those she express in her letters to Jeremy, and to those feelings that the author narrates. Be sure to refer to specific examples in the story to illustrate the differences between the expression of her feelings in these different formats.
Essay Topic 3
Should the Coopers have told Izzy about the severity of his illness earlier, or was Dr. North right not to tell him since there was not a cure for his cancer? What determines whether it is right or wrong to give someone this sort of information? Under what circumstances would you change your answer?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)