|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rachel suggest that Lewis was staring at her?
2. In Chapter 13, what does Lewis give Rachel after their date, when they are at the burger place?
3. What does Izzy tell Rachel about Eva, on their walk in Chapter 22?
4. What reason does Rachel gives for ending the interview for the school paper in Chapter 11?
5. In Chapter 16, who calls the Cooper's house while Rachel is home alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Coopers usually spend Sunday mornings?
2. Describe the Scrabble game in Chapter 24.
3. What does Rachel learn about Coach Al?
4. Describe Rachel's first kiss.
5. How does Rachel feel about the possibility of Izzy coming to live at her house?
6. What does Izzy tell Rachel about his handprint in Chapter 29?
7. Why does Rachel think that something is wrong with her in Chapter 13?
8. What kind of a person is Helena?
9. Describe the relationship between Rachel and Jeremy.
10. How does Rachel feel about her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the feelings that Rachel expresses in her journal, to those she express in her letters to Jeremy, and to those feelings that the author narrates. Be sure to refer to specific examples in the story to illustrate the differences between the expression of her feelings in these different formats.
Essay Topic 2
The role of a caregiver can be overwhelming, yet rewarding. Select 3 characters in After the Rain who filled a caregiver role and explain how the story would have been altered if each person was not included in it. Explain how each person did or did not gain from their role as caregiver.
Essay Topic 3
The process of Izzy's death moved Rachel from disbelief to grief and back to hope again.
1) Describe the process of accepting the death of a loved one as illustrated in this story.
2) Explain how grief affected the actions of at least 3 characters in the novel.
3) Analyze the correlation between transformation and loss.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)