|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Izzy take Rachel on their bus ride together?
2. What does Rachel want to be when she grows up?
3. What do Rachel and Izzy do when their walk gets rained out in Chapter 24?
4. Who does Rachel interview for the school paper?
5. What does Rachel realize is the reason for Izzy's bad mood in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the place where Eva is buried.
2. Is Rachel's life back to normal after Izzy's death once she returns to school.
3. How does Shirley cope with her father's illness?
4. Describe Lewis Olswanger.
5. Explain Izzy's instructions regarding his death.
6. Describe the meal the Coopers share in the hospital cafeteria in Chapter 38.
7. Why is Izzy furious with everyone in Chapter 38?
8. Describe Uncle Lenny's phone call.
9. Is Rachel responsible, as of Chapter 31?
10. Describe the picture of Izzy and Eva that Izzy gives to Rachel.
Essay Topic 1
Rachel and Izzy have striking similarities in their personalities and the way they deal with people.
1) Of Rachel and Izzy, who is more mature for their age?
2) Compare and contrast this granddaughter and grandfather.
3) Of Rachel and Izzy, whose way of dealing with the world is most effective?
Essay Topic 2
Should the Coopers have told Izzy about the severity of his illness earlier, or was Dr. North right not to tell him since there was not a cure for his cancer? What determines whether it is right or wrong to give someone this sort of information? Under what circumstances would you change your answer?
Essay Topic 3
Certain objects in After the Rain have significance to the story or certain characters. Select 3 items such as the jade plant, jelly beans, Alice's turban, Izzy's handprint, the bridges, dogs, or any others and analyze their importance in the story.
This section contains 1,811 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)