|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What change does Rachel notice in Izzy during his hospital stay?
(a) He is less gruff with the doctors and nurses.
(b) He loses weight rapidly.
(c) He is slower to criticize Shirley.
(d) He is more energetic than before.
2. When Rachel spends the night at the hospital with Izzy, what does he ask her to do when he wakes up around midnight?
(a) Go for a walk in the corridor.
(b) Hold his hand.
(c) Remember him.
(d) To tell him a story about her life at high school.
3. What does Izzy want to do in Chapter 33 when Rachel arrives at his house early on Saturday morning?
(a) Take her to the bridges again.
(b) Go to the hardware store.
(c) Stay outside all day.
(d) Stay inside and rest.
4. What does Rachel thank the person she speaks to in Chapter 45 for doing?
(a) Encouraging her.
(b) Sticking with her.
(c) Putting up with her.
(d) Being so patient.
5. What does Dr. North tell Shirley about Izzy's condition after his second fall?
(a) That Izzy will keep getting weaker.
(b) That Izzy should get his affairs in order.
(c) That Izzy must be hospitalized to get better.
(d) That Izzy needs an organ transplant.
6. What does Shirley do when Rachel tells her about Izzy's second fall a full day after it occurs?
(a) Sits down at the kitchen table and cries.
(b) Calls her self-centered.
(c) Calls her irresponsible.
(d) Thanks her for devoting so much time to Izzy.
7. What do the Coopers and Izzy do in Chapter 35?
(a) Everyone listens to Rachel read a western that Izzy likes.
(b) Watch golf on TV.
(c) Everyone reads their own book.
(d) Watch a Marx Brothers movie.
8. What does Rachel do when she returns to school the Wednesday after Izzy is hospitalized?
(a) Leaves without telling anyone and goes back to the hospital.
(b) Asks her teachers for her work for the following week.
(c) Spends the day in the nurse's office.
(d) Spends the day in the guidance counselor's office.
9. What does Izzy complain about in Chapter 38?
(a) Shirley is hovering.
(b) He can't go to the bathroom without help.
(c) He cant walk, breathe, or spit up whats in his chest.
(d) The crying patient in the room next door.
10. What does Rachel's family do when they go to the cemetery in Chapter 42?
(a) Sets flowers on his grave site.
(b) Sit and tell stories at Eva's grave.
(c) Scatters Izzy's ashes over Eva's grave.
(d) String a branch of flowers from Eva's grave to Izzy's.
11. Where is Rachel headed at the end of After the Rain?
(a) To take a walk.
(b) To class.
(c) To go to work.
12. What does Grandpa Izzy talk about in his sleep on the night that Rachel stays with him at the hospital?
(b) Building a bridge.
(c) A book he has read.
(d) Tickets and boats.
13. Who does Rachel thank in Chapter 45?
14. What do Lewis and Rachel go look for on the Saturday they fill their back packs with food?
(a) Izzy's handprint.
(b) The firetower.
(c) Eva's handprint.
(d) The bridge where Izzy proposed to Eva.
15. Who waits outside of Izzy's hotel room with Rachel in Chapter 34?
(c) Jeremy and Alice Farnum.
(d) Manny and Shirley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel do when Izzy falls, for a second time, according to her journal entries?
2. What does Izzy insist that Shirley take home with her, even though she made it for him?
3. What does Rachel eat at the hospital cafeteria with her parents when Shirley complains about the food?
4. How does Jeremy feel about Izzy?
5. What happens when the Coopers go to leave Izzy's room in the last part of Chapter 38?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)