|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose birthday occurs in Chapter 32?
(a) Alice Farnum's.
2. How does Shirley react to Rachel's request on the Monday after Izzy is hospitalized?
(a) She thinks it makes sense and argues about it with Manny.
(b) She hugs Rachel and tells her she is growing up too fast.
(c) She thinks its a bad idea and they argue.
(d) She says she can't make any more decisions right now.
3. In Rachel's journal account of Chapter 39, why does she say that Shirley had to leave Izzy on Sunday?
(a) She vomited and started running a fever.
(b) She had groceries in the car.
(c) She couldn't bear to see him in pain.
(d) She had to go to a funeral for a friend's child.
4. What does Dr. North tell Izzy when the patient asks when he will be able to go home?
(a) That he should consider saying his goodbyes here.
(b) That this is the best place for him for now.
(c) That it won't be long.
(d) That he can go home on Monday.
5. How does Jeremy get home?
(a) He rides a motorcycle.
(b) He flies.
(c) He hitchhikes.
(d) He rides out with MB.
6. Why does Rachel finally decide that she is so angry in Chapter 31?
(a) She is angry that her mother treats her like a child.
(b) She is angry that Helena leads such a charmed life.
(c) She is angry that Izzy is too stubborn to go to the hospital.
(d) She is angry that Izzy is dying.
7. When they talk about Grandpa Izzy in Chapter 37, how does Rachel say she sometimes feels?
8. What does the hospital technician give to Izzy in Chapter 35?
(a) An x-ray of his lungs.
(b) A portable oxygen machine.
(c) A balloon animal.
(d) A card that was left for him at the front desk.
9. What is life like for Rachel at the start of Chapter 44.
(b) She is constantly sad and crying.
(c) Busy as all her family is still in town.
(d) Back to normal.
10. What makes Rachel jealous when at Izzy's apartment in Chapter 32?
(a) Lewis's attention to Helena.
(b) Jeremy's attention to Shirley.
(c) Izzy's attention to Helena.
(d) Izzy's attention to Alice.
11. On the second day in Chapter 38, what does Izzy talk to Rachel about?
(a) Nothing, he refuses to speak to anyone.
(b) His courtship with Eva and her relationship with Lewis.
(c) His career as a stone mason.
(d) Shirley and Manny.
12. What does Rachel tell Lewis that it seems like her grandfather is doing when they speak in Chapter 37?
(a) Pushing her away.
(b) Trying to squeeze in a lifetime of conversations.
(d) Waiting to die.
13. Who spends the night with Izzy on the Saturday he says he is afraid to sleep?
14. When Rachel spends the night at the hospital with Izzy, what does he ask her to do when he wakes up around midnight?
(a) Go for a walk in the corridor.
(b) To tell him a story about her life at high school.
(c) Remember him.
(d) Hold his hand.
15. Where does that last chapter of this book take place?
(a) At the Cooper's home.
(b) In a grocery store.
(c) At a graduation party.
(d) At school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel thank the person she speaks to in Chapter 45 for doing?
2. In Chapter 39, what is true about Izzy's lunch on Monday?
3. Where does the person who spends the night with Izzy on the Saturday he says he is afraid to sleep actually sleep?
4. On Tuesday night in Chapter 40, what does Rachel do when Manny holds the elevator door open for her?
5. How does the person that Rachel thanks react in the final chapter of the story?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)