|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term of endearment does Izzy call Rachel on the day of the birthday party?
2. Where is Rachel headed at the end of After the Rain?
(b) To class.
(c) To take a walk.
(d) To go to work.
3. What does the hospital technician give to Izzy in Chapter 35?
(a) A balloon animal.
(b) A portable oxygen machine.
(c) A card that was left for him at the front desk.
(d) An x-ray of his lungs.
4. What does Rachel do when she returns to school the Wednesday after Izzy is hospitalized?
(a) Asks her teachers for her work for the following week.
(b) Spends the day in the guidance counselor's office.
(c) Spends the day in the nurse's office.
(d) Leaves without telling anyone and goes back to the hospital.
5. What does Rachel tell Shirley she wants to do the Monday after Izzy is hospitalized?
(a) Interview Izzy with a cassette recorder.
(b) Skip school to be with Izzy.
(c) Spend the nights with Izzy and catch the school bus near the hospital.
(d) Bring Izzy to stay at the Cooper's house.
6. What happens after Izzy's treatment in the hospital?
(a) He has a reaction and is put in the Intensive Care Unit.
(b) He falls asleep and the Coopers go home.
(c) He falls asleep and Manny takes Rachel home.
(d) He is restless and Rachel stays past visiting hours.
7. Who calls Rachel to find out how Izzy is doing on Saturday in Chapter 33?
(b) Helena and Lewis.
(c) Alice Farnum.
8. What does Dr. North tell Izzy when the patient asks when he will be able to go home?
(a) That he can go home on Monday.
(b) That he should consider saying his goodbyes here.
(c) That this is the best place for him for now.
(d) That it won't be long.
9. What do Lewis and Rachel go look for on the Saturday they fill their back packs with food?
(a) The firetower.
(b) The bridge where Izzy proposed to Eva.
(c) Izzy's handprint.
(d) Eva's handprint.
10. How does Rachel feel, after she cries for Izzy, in Chapter 43?
(c) Full of grief.
11. What does the family plant in Izzy's memory?
(a) A peace lily.
(b) A blue spruce.
(c) An oak tree.
(d) A rosebush.
12. Who waits outside of Izzy's hotel room with Rachel in Chapter 34?
(c) Manny and Shirley.
(d) Jeremy and Alice Farnum.
13. In Rachel's journal account of Chapter 39, why does she say that Shirley had to leave Izzy on Sunday?
(a) She couldn't bear to see him in pain.
(b) She had groceries in the car.
(c) She vomited and started running a fever.
(d) She had to go to a funeral for a friend's child.
14. Whose birthday occurs in Chapter 32?
(c) Alice Farnum's.
15. What do the Coopers and Izzy do in Chapter 35?
(a) Watch a Marx Brothers movie.
(b) Watch golf on TV.
(c) Everyone reads their own book.
(d) Everyone listens to Rachel read a western that Izzy likes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jeremy ask Rachel to do in Chapter 43?
2. Who is Phil?
3. What does Rachel's family do when they go to the cemetery in Chapter 42?
4. What does Izzy demand, as the Coopers are leaving, in Chapter 38?
5. What does Rachel do when Izzy falls, for a second time, according to her journal entries?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)