|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the Coopers go to leave Izzy's room in the last part of Chapter 38?
(a) He tells Shirley to leave the gift after all.
(b) He falls and hits his head.
(c) He tears off his oxygen mask.
(d) He collapses again.
2. Who arrives in Manny's room and asks Rachel to leave around 11 each day?
(a) Dr. North.
(b) A lab tach.
(c) The red haired nurse.
(d) Alice Farnum.
3. What term of endearment does Izzy call Rachel on the day of the birthday party?
4. When do Rachel and Jeremy go for a walk in Chapter 43?
(a) Late in the afternoon.
(b) At sunset.
(c) As it starts to sprinkle.
(d) First thing in the morning.
5. What does Rachel tell Lewis that it seems like her grandfather is doing when they speak in Chapter 37?
(b) Trying to squeeze in a lifetime of conversations.
(c) Pushing her away.
(d) Waiting to die.
6. What does Izzy demand, as the Coopers are leaving, in Chapter 38?
(a) To be told everything the doctor says.
(b) To be told when he can go home.
(c) To be moved to another room.
(d) That Rachel return to school.
7. Who waits outside of Izzy's hotel room with Rachel in Chapter 34?
(b) Jeremy and Alice Farnum.
(d) Manny and Shirley.
8. Why doesn't Rachel tell her parents about Izzy's second fall right away?
(a) She is still mad at her mother.
(b) She knows they will worry.
(c) She is afraid they will hospitalize him.
(d) She gets distracted by Lewis.
9. What does Rachel do when she returns to school the Wednesday after Izzy is hospitalized?
(a) Spends the day in the guidance counselor's office.
(b) Spends the day in the nurse's office.
(c) Asks her teachers for her work for the following week.
(d) Leaves without telling anyone and goes back to the hospital.
10. What is life like for Rachel at the start of Chapter 44.
(a) Busy as all her family is still in town.
(b) She is constantly sad and crying.
(c) Back to normal.
11. Where does Rachel take Izzy when he starts to collapse on Baker Street during their Saturday walk?
(a) To a shaded tree and lets him rest on the ground.
(b) Into a nearby ice cream shop.
(c) Into a nearby restaurant.
(d) Into a nearby hardware story.
12. What does Izzy insist that Shirley take home with her, even though she made it for him?
(a) An afghan.
(c) A sweater.
(d) Zucchini bread.
13. How does Jeremy get home?
(a) He rides out with MB.
(b) He flies.
(c) He rides a motorcycle.
(d) He hitchhikes.
14. Where does the person who spends the night with Izzy on the Saturday he says he is afraid to sleep actually sleep?
(a) In the big chair.
(b) On a small pull out couch.
(c) On a cot.
(d) In an empty patient bed.
15. Why is Rachel jealous of MB?
(a) Because MB is going to college for journalism.
(b) Because MB has no responsilities.
(c) Because MB's grandparents are still alive.
(d) Because Helena is fond of MB.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Izzy complain about in Chapter 38?
2. In Rachel's journal account of Chapter 39, why does she say that Shirley had to leave Izzy on Sunday?
3. On Tuesday night in Chapter 40, what does Rachel do when Manny holds the elevator door open for her?
4. Where is Rachel headed at the end of After the Rain?
5. What does Rachel tell Shirley she wants to do the Monday after Izzy is hospitalized?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)