|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rachel eat at the hospital cafeteria with her parents when Shirley complains about the food?
(a) American goulash.
(b) A tuna salad sandwich.
(c) A chef salad.
(d) Macaroni and cheese.
2. What term of endearment does Izzy call Rachel on the day of the birthday party?
3. Who spends the night with Izzy on the Saturday he says he is afraid to sleep?
4. On the second day in Chapter 38, what does Izzy talk to Rachel about?
(a) His courtship with Eva and her relationship with Lewis.
(b) Nothing, he refuses to speak to anyone.
(c) His career as a stone mason.
(d) Shirley and Manny.
5. What does Shirley do when Rachel tells her about Izzy's second fall a full day after it occurs?
(a) Sits down at the kitchen table and cries.
(b) Calls her self-centered.
(c) Thanks her for devoting so much time to Izzy.
(d) Calls her irresponsible.
6. What does Dr. North tell Shirley about Izzy's condition after his second fall?
(a) That Izzy will keep getting weaker.
(b) That Izzy should get his affairs in order.
(c) That Izzy must be hospitalized to get better.
(d) That Izzy needs an organ transplant.
7. Why does Rachel finally decide that she is so angry in Chapter 31?
(a) She is angry that Izzy is dying.
(b) She is angry that her mother treats her like a child.
(c) She is angry that Izzy is too stubborn to go to the hospital.
(d) She is angry that Helena leads such a charmed life.
8. What do Manny and Shirley do when they come by after work?
(a) Laugh at things that aren't funny.
(b) Bring mail from Izzy's house.
(c) Bring gifts from the gift shop.
(d) Clean things that aren't messy.
9. What does Jeremy point out to Rachel when they take their walk on the day they scatter Izzy's ashes?
(a) A park where he used to go to draw and paint.
(b) A park that Manny took him to.
(c) A crummy little market where teens used to hang out.
(d) A drugstore where he worked as a teenager.
10. What do Lewis and Rachel go look for on the Saturday they fill their back packs with food?
(a) Izzy's handprint.
(b) The firetower.
(c) Eva's handprint.
(d) The bridge where Izzy proposed to Eva.
11. What happens during the night that Rachel stays at the hotel with Izzy?
(a) Izzy dies.
(b) Izzy stops breathing and is revived.
(c) Rachel breaks out in hives.
(d) Rachels sees a dead patient removed from the room next door.
12. How is Rachel's issue that she brings up to Shirley settled on the Monday after Izzy is hospitalized?
(a) Dr. North says its a bad idea and Rachel drops the subject.
(b) Shirley gives in and Rachel gets her way.
(c) Manny gives in and Rachel gets her way.
(d) Izzy collapses again and the topic is dropped.
13. What does Rachel thank the person she speaks to in Chapter 45 for doing?
(a) Putting up with her.
(b) Being so patient.
(c) Sticking with her.
(d) Encouraging her.
14. What does Izzy complain about in Chapter 38?
(a) The crying patient in the room next door.
(b) He can't go to the bathroom without help.
(c) He cant walk, breathe, or spit up whats in his chest.
(d) Shirley is hovering.
15. What change does Rachel notice in Izzy during his hospital stay?
(a) He is slower to criticize Shirley.
(b) He is less gruff with the doctors and nurses.
(c) He loses weight rapidly.
(d) He is more energetic than before.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Rachel tell her parents about Izzy's second fall right away?
2. Who is Phil?
3. What happens when the Coopers go to leave Izzy's room in the last part of Chapter 38?
4. How does Rachel feel, after she cries for Izzy, in Chapter 43?
5. What does Rachel do when Izzy falls, for a second time, according to her journal entries?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)