|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Izzy insist that Shirley take home with her, even though she made it for him?
(a) Zucchini bread.
(b) A sweater.
(c) An afghan.
2. What does Rachel discover in Chapter 44 that makes her feel like Izzy left a legacy after all?
(a) His handprint and initials.
(b) A tree with a plaque donated by the stonemasons.
(c) The names of his children in a stone wall.
(d) The small footbridge he made for Eva.
3. What is the weather like when Izzy and Rachel walk for the first time after his second fall?
(a) Sunny and pleasant.
(b) Overcast, but not raining.
(c) Foggy and muggy.
(d) Drizzly and wet.
4. How does Izzy treat the person who visits him in Chapter 39?
(a) He is gruff and unfriendly.
(b) He is unresponsive.
(c) He is condescending.
(d) He tries to be sociable.
5. What does Shirley do when Rachel tells her about Izzy's second fall a full day after it occurs?
(a) Calls her irresponsible.
(b) Sits down at the kitchen table and cries.
(c) Thanks her for devoting so much time to Izzy.
(d) Calls her self-centered.
6. What does Jeremy point out to Rachel when they take their walk on the day they scatter Izzy's ashes?
(a) A park where he used to go to draw and paint.
(b) A crummy little market where teens used to hang out.
(c) A drugstore where he worked as a teenager.
(d) A park that Manny took him to.
7. On Tuesday night in Chapter 40, what does Rachel do when Manny holds the elevator door open for her?
(a) Nothing, she can't make herself get on it.
(b) She gets in, but presses the wrong button.
(c) She crumbles to the floor in tears.
(d) She runs back to Izzy's room.
8. What does the hospital technician give to Izzy in Chapter 35?
(a) A balloon animal.
(b) An x-ray of his lungs.
(c) A portable oxygen machine.
(d) A card that was left for him at the front desk.
9. What does Rachel ask Jeremy on their walk?
(a) If she can come to visit him.
(b) If she should stop sending letters.
(c) Why he moved so far away.
(d) Why he never answers her letters.
10. How does Rachel envision herself in Chapter 41 when she thinks about Izzy never having another glass of water?
(a) Drinking glass after glass but remaining thirsty.
(b) On a dark road with hard streams of water falling down.
(c) By a pond as the water evaporate in streams up to heaven.
(d) Drowning in endless glasses of water.
11. What do Lewis and Rachel go look for on the Saturday they fill their back packs with food?
(a) The bridge where Izzy proposed to Eva.
(b) The firetower.
(c) Eva's handprint.
(d) Izzy's handprint.
12. Where are Rachel and Izzy when the old man falls again in Chapter 31?
(a) In a park.
(b) Near a bus stop.
(c) In a library.
(d) Outside of a market.
13. Who is Phil?
(a) Lewis's father.
(b) Izzy's brother.
(c) Alice Farnum's son.
(d) Rachel's brother.
14. In Chapter 44, what does Rachel complain to Manny about?
(a) That they never talk about Izzy anymore.
(b) That she doesn't know what to do without Izzy around.
(c) That Helena has a later curfew than she does.
(d) That it has been raining for ages.
15. What did Izzy leave in his medicine cabinet that his family finds after his death?
(a) A bag of black jellybeans.
(b) An appointment card for a different doctor.
(c) A note with instrutions about his death.
(d) A short letter to Rachel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Shirley react to Rachel's request on the Monday after Izzy is hospitalized?
2. Where are Rachel and Lewis when they speak in Chapter 37?
3. Who comes to visit Izzy on Sunday in Chapter 39?
4. What do Izzy and Rachel share on the park bench in Chapter 33?
5. What is life like for Rachel at the start of Chapter 44.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)