|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rachel say when the family reminisces about Izzy in Chapter 42?
(a) We both like black jellybeans.
(b) He beat me at Scrabble.
(c) I loved Grandpa.
(d) He built bridges.
2. What object are Rachel and the person she talks to in Chapter 45 standing in front of?
(a) A book shelf.
(b) A trophy case.
(c) A table.
(d) A cake.
3. Where is Rachel headed at the end of After the Rain?
(a) To take a walk.
(b) To class.
(d) To go to work.
4. What does Lewis tell Rachel occurred at school when they speak in Chapter 37?
(a) A sit-in.
(b) A power outage.
(c) An assembly.
(d) A fire drill.
5. What do Lewis and Rachel go look for on the Saturday they fill their back packs with food?
(a) Izzy's handprint.
(b) The firetower.
(c) Eva's handprint.
(d) The bridge where Izzy proposed to Eva.
6. What does Rachel discover in Chapter 44 that makes her feel like Izzy left a legacy after all?
(a) His handprint and initials.
(b) The names of his children in a stone wall.
(c) A tree with a plaque donated by the stonemasons.
(d) The small footbridge he made for Eva.
7. What does Rachel do when she returns to school the Wednesday after Izzy is hospitalized?
(a) Leaves without telling anyone and goes back to the hospital.
(b) Asks her teachers for her work for the following week.
(c) Spends the day in the nurse's office.
(d) Spends the day in the guidance counselor's office.
8. Why does Rachel decide to skip the birthday party in Chapter 32?
(a) To make her mom angry.
(b) To go out with Lewis.
(c) She is jealous.
(d) To take care of Izzy.
9. What does Grandpa Izzy talk about in his sleep on the night that Rachel stays with him at the hospital?
(a) A book he has read.
(b) Tickets and boats.
(c) Building a bridge.
10. What is the funny story that Phil tells about Izzy?
(a) When Izzy saved him from a chihuahua.
(b) When Izzy pulled his tooth out.
(c) When Izzy got flustered by a pretty woman.
(d) When Izzy gave him cookies before dinner.
11. What does Rachel's family do when they go to the cemetery in Chapter 42?
(a) Scatters Izzy's ashes over Eva's grave.
(b) Sets flowers on his grave site.
(c) String a branch of flowers from Eva's grave to Izzy's.
(d) Sit and tell stories at Eva's grave.
12. How does Izzy treat the person who visits him in Chapter 39?
(a) He is gruff and unfriendly.
(b) He tries to be sociable.
(c) He is condescending.
(d) He is unresponsive.
13. What does Rachel say that her parents look like on the night that she stays at the hospital with Izzy?
(b) Big, tired animals.
(c) Lost children.
(d) Deer caught in headlights.
14. What is the day like when Rachel walks up and down West Creek Street counting the bridges?
(a) Hazy, but the rain has stopped.
(b) Sun is starting to peek through the cloud cover.
(c) Drizzly and dirty.
15. How is Izzy's mood the day after his treatment?
(a) He seems resigned and lacks energy.
(b) Subdued, as he sleeps most of the day.
(c) Agitated and restless.
(d) Better, he is his crotchedy old self.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the second day in Chapter 38, what does Izzy talk to Rachel about?
2. How does Rachel feel, after she cries for Izzy, in Chapter 43?
3. How is Rachel's issue that she brings up to Shirley settled on the Monday after Izzy is hospitalized?
4. Who waits outside of Izzy's hotel room with Rachel in Chapter 34?
5. What does Izzy complain about in Chapter 38?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)