|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rachel say when the family reminisces about Izzy in Chapter 42?
(a) We both like black jellybeans.
(b) He built bridges.
(c) He beat me at Scrabble.
(d) I loved Grandpa.
2. What does Rachel ask Jeremy on their walk?
(a) If she should stop sending letters.
(b) Why he never answers her letters.
(c) Why he moved so far away.
(d) If she can come to visit him.
3. When they talk about Grandpa Izzy in Chapter 37, how does Rachel say she sometimes feels?
4. What does Jeremy ask Rachel to do in Chapter 43?
(a) To meet his fiance.
(b) To keep sending letters.
(c) To come and visit him.
(d) To keep her eyes open for a job.
5. When does Rachel start arriving at the hospital each day in Chapter 36?
(a) By noon and again by 4 pm.
(b) By 3 pm.
(c) From 6 pm every evening.
(d) By 8 am.
6. On the second day in Chapter 38, what does Izzy talk to Rachel about?
(a) His courtship with Eva and her relationship with Lewis.
(b) Nothing, he refuses to speak to anyone.
(c) His career as a stone mason.
(d) Shirley and Manny.
7. What special request did Izzy have in regards to his funeral?
(a) He asked to have Rachel read a passage.
(b) He specified that there should be no funeral.
(c) He asked to be cremated.
(d) He wanted the funeral to be simple with no flowers or fuss.
8. What do Manny and Shirley do when they come by after work?
(a) Clean things that aren't messy.
(b) Bring gifts from the gift shop.
(c) Bring mail from Izzy's house.
(d) Laugh at things that aren't funny.
9. In Rachel's journal account of Chapter 39, why does she say that Shirley had to leave Izzy on Sunday?
(a) She couldn't bear to see him in pain.
(b) She had to go to a funeral for a friend's child.
(c) She vomited and started running a fever.
(d) She had groceries in the car.
10. What makes Rachel jealous when at Izzy's apartment in Chapter 32?
(a) Izzy's attention to Alice.
(b) Izzy's attention to Helena.
(c) Jeremy's attention to Shirley.
(d) Lewis's attention to Helena.
11. What happens when the Coopers go to leave Izzy's room in the last part of Chapter 38?
(a) He falls and hits his head.
(b) He collapses again.
(c) He tells Shirley to leave the gift after all.
(d) He tears off his oxygen mask.
12. How does the person that Rachel thanks react in the final chapter of the story?
(a) The person hugs Rachel.
(b) The person insists it was nothing.
(c) The person says that she is worth it.
(d) The person kisses Rachel.
13. What does Rachel find in Izzy's hospital room when she returns on the day following his first treatment?
(a) Someone else in Izzy's bed.
(b) Balloons from Helena.
(c) A plant from Alice Farnum.
(d) An empty bed.
14. Where does Uncle Lenny call from?
(b) His hospital bed.
(c) The airport.
15. On Tuesday night in Chapter 40, what does Rachel do when Manny holds the elevator door open for her?
(a) She gets in, but presses the wrong button.
(b) Nothing, she can't make herself get on it.
(c) She crumbles to the floor in tears.
(d) She runs back to Izzy's room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the person who spends the night with Izzy on the Saturday he says he is afraid to sleep actually sleep?
2. How does Jeremy feel about Izzy?
3. Where does that last chapter of this book take place?
4. Whose birthday occurs in Chapter 32?
5. What is the funny story that Phil tells about Izzy?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)