|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is at Izzy's apartment when he and Rachel return from their first walk after his second fall?
(a) Manny and Shirley.
(b) Jeremy and Lenny.
(c) Alice Farnum.
(d) Helena, Mikey, and Lewis.
2. What does Rachel hear in Chapter 34 when she is outside of Izzy's hospital room?
(a) Shirley crying.
(b) Alice Farnum laughing.
(c) Izzy groaning.
(d) The nurses gossiping.
3. How does Izzy greet Rachel each day, as of Chapter 36, when she arrives at the hospital to visit him?
(a) With a laugh and comment on her nerve.
(b) With a weak smile.
(c) He is usually sleeping when she arrives.
(d) With disapproval and relief.
4. When does Rachel start arriving at the hospital each day in Chapter 36?
(a) By 8 am.
(b) By noon and again by 4 pm.
(c) From 6 pm every evening.
(d) By 3 pm.
5. What does Rachel discover in Chapter 44 that makes her feel like Izzy left a legacy after all?
(a) His handprint and initials.
(b) The small footbridge he made for Eva.
(c) The names of his children in a stone wall.
(d) A tree with a plaque donated by the stonemasons.
6. How is Izzy's mood the day after his treatment?
(a) Agitated and restless.
(b) He seems resigned and lacks energy.
(c) Better, he is his crotchedy old self.
(d) Subdued, as he sleeps most of the day.
7. Whose birthday occurs in Chapter 32?
(a) Alice Farnum's.
8. When they speak in Chapter 37, what is the tone of the conversation that Rachel and Lewis have?
9. What does Jeremy ask Rachel to do in Chapter 43?
(a) To come and visit him.
(b) To keep her eyes open for a job.
(c) To keep sending letters.
(d) To meet his fiance.
10. What does Rachel's family do when they go to the cemetery in Chapter 42?
(a) Sit and tell stories at Eva's grave.
(b) String a branch of flowers from Eva's grave to Izzy's.
(c) Sets flowers on his grave site.
(d) Scatters Izzy's ashes over Eva's grave.
11. Who waits outside of Izzy's hotel room with Rachel in Chapter 34?
(b) Manny and Shirley.
(c) Jeremy and Alice Farnum.
12. What does the hospital technician give to Izzy in Chapter 35?
(a) An x-ray of his lungs.
(b) A balloon animal.
(c) A card that was left for him at the front desk.
(d) A portable oxygen machine.
13. What does the family plant in Izzy's memory?
(a) An oak tree.
(b) A blue spruce.
(c) A rosebush.
(d) A peace lily.
14. In Chapter 39, what is true about Izzy's lunch on Monday?
(a) He doesn't eat it.
(b) He says it's salty.
(c) He only eats the lime jello.
(d) He says it's bland.
15. What does Rachel say that her parents look like on the night that she stays at the hospital with Izzy?
(a) Lost children.
(b) Big, tired animals.
(d) Deer caught in headlights.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Rachel to find out how Izzy is doing on Saturday in Chapter 33?
2. What does Lewis tell Rachel occurred at school when they speak in Chapter 37?
3. What does Rachel thank the person she speaks to in Chapter 45 for doing?
4. Where does that last chapter of this book take place?
5. What is the funny story that Phil tells about Izzy?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)