|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to visit Izzy on Sunday in Chapter 39?
(b) Alice Farnum.
2. When they talk about Grandpa Izzy in Chapter 37, how does Rachel say she sometimes feels?
3. What term of endearment does Izzy call Rachel on the day of the birthday party?
4. On the second day in Chapter 38, what does Izzy talk to Rachel about?
(a) Nothing, he refuses to speak to anyone.
(b) Shirley and Manny.
(c) His courtship with Eva and her relationship with Lewis.
(d) His career as a stone mason.
5. What does Rachel hear in Chapter 34 when she is outside of Izzy's hospital room?
(a) The nurses gossiping.
(b) Alice Farnum laughing.
(c) Izzy groaning.
(d) Shirley crying.
6. In Chapter 39, what is true about Izzy's lunch on Monday?
(a) He only eats the lime jello.
(b) He says it's bland.
(c) He doesn't eat it.
(d) He says it's salty.
7. What does Rachel tell Shirley she wants to do the Monday after Izzy is hospitalized?
(a) Bring Izzy to stay at the Cooper's house.
(b) Interview Izzy with a cassette recorder.
(c) Skip school to be with Izzy.
(d) Spend the nights with Izzy and catch the school bus near the hospital.
8. What does Rachel tell Lewis that it seems like her grandfather is doing when they speak in Chapter 37?
(a) Waiting to die.
(b) Pushing her away.
(c) Trying to squeeze in a lifetime of conversations.
9. Whose birthday occurs in Chapter 32?
(b) Alice Farnum's.
10. Who spends the night with Izzy on the Saturday he says he is afraid to sleep?
11. When Rachel spends the night at the hospital with Izzy, what does he ask her to do when he wakes up around midnight?
(a) To tell him a story about her life at high school.
(b) Hold his hand.
(c) Remember him.
(d) Go for a walk in the corridor.
12. How is Rachel's issue that she brings up to Shirley settled on the Monday after Izzy is hospitalized?
(a) Manny gives in and Rachel gets her way.
(b) Izzy collapses again and the topic is dropped.
(c) Shirley gives in and Rachel gets her way.
(d) Dr. North says its a bad idea and Rachel drops the subject.
13. Where is Izzy taken directly after collapsing on Baker Street?
(a) To his apartment.
(b) To the diner.
(c) To Rachel's house.
(d) To the hospital.
14. What does Izzy want to do in Chapter 33 when Rachel arrives at his house early on Saturday morning?
(a) Stay inside and rest.
(b) Go to the hardware store.
(c) Stay outside all day.
(d) Take her to the bridges again.
15. What does Jeremy ask Rachel to do in Chapter 43?
(a) To keep her eyes open for a job.
(b) To meet his fiance.
(c) To keep sending letters.
(d) To come and visit him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rachel envision herself in Chapter 41 when she thinks about Izzy never having another glass of water?
2. What do Lewis and Rachel go look for on the Saturday they fill their back packs with food?
3. What does Rachel discover in Chapter 44 that makes her feel like Izzy left a legacy after all?
4. What does Rachel eat at the hospital cafeteria with her parents when Shirley complains about the food?
5. Where is Rachel headed at the end of After the Rain?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)