|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Rachel headed at the end of After the Rain?
(a) To class.
(c) To go to work.
(d) To take a walk.
2. What term of endearment does Izzy call Rachel on the day of the birthday party?
3. Who does Rachel thank in Chapter 45?
4. Where does Rachel take Izzy when he starts to collapse on Baker Street during their Saturday walk?
(a) Into a nearby hardware story.
(b) Into a nearby ice cream shop.
(c) Into a nearby restaurant.
(d) To a shaded tree and lets him rest on the ground.
5. How does the person that Rachel thanks react in the final chapter of the story?
(a) The person insists it was nothing.
(b) The person hugs Rachel.
(c) The person says that she is worth it.
(d) The person kisses Rachel.
6. What change does Rachel notice in Izzy during his hospital stay?
(a) He is slower to criticize Shirley.
(b) He is more energetic than before.
(c) He loses weight rapidly.
(d) He is less gruff with the doctors and nurses.
7. Where are Rachel and Lewis when they speak in Chapter 37?
(a) In the hospital cafeteria.
(b) In Poppie's Diner.
(c) On the phone.
(d) At Rachel's kitchen table.
8. What does Grandpa Izzy talk about in his sleep on the night that Rachel stays with him at the hospital?
(a) Tickets and boats.
(b) Building a bridge.
(c) A book he has read.
9. What does Rachel eat at the hospital cafeteria with her parents when Shirley complains about the food?
(a) American goulash.
(b) Macaroni and cheese.
(c) A tuna salad sandwich.
(d) A chef salad.
10. What does Rachel find in Izzy's hospital room when she returns on the day following his first treatment?
(a) Balloons from Helena.
(b) A plant from Alice Farnum.
(c) An empty bed.
(d) Someone else in Izzy's bed.
11. What does Rachel say that her parents look like on the night that she stays at the hospital with Izzy?
(a) Lost children.
(c) Deer caught in headlights.
(d) Big, tired animals.
12. What do Izzy and Rachel share on the park bench in Chapter 33?
(a) Coffee ice cream.
(b) Black jellybeans.
13. What does Uncle Lenny tell Rachel that surprises her?
(a) That Izzy sent him a card once a year.
(b) That she speaks a lot like Izzy.
(c) That she looks like Eva.
(d) That he had spoken to Izzy recently.
14. What did Izzy leave in his medicine cabinet that his family finds after his death?
(a) An appointment card for a different doctor.
(b) A short letter to Rachel.
(c) A bag of black jellybeans.
(d) A note with instrutions about his death.
15. What does Shirley do when Rachel tells her about Izzy's second fall a full day after it occurs?
(a) Thanks her for devoting so much time to Izzy.
(b) Calls her irresponsible.
(c) Calls her self-centered.
(d) Sits down at the kitchen table and cries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Izzy complain about in Chapter 38?
2. How is Rachel's issue that she brings up to Shirley settled on the Monday after Izzy is hospitalized?
3. Where does Uncle Lenny call from?
4. Who arrives in Manny's room and asks Rachel to leave around 11 each day?
5. What does Rachel discover in Chapter 44 that makes her feel like Izzy left a legacy after all?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)