|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Rachel gives for ending the interview for the school paper in Chapter 11?
(a) There is another person she needs to interview.
(b) She has to go to work.
(c) Her grandfather is dying.
(d) She has all the information she needs.
2. What book does Rachel say she read five times when she was ten years old?
(a) The Trumpet of the Swans.
(b) Little Women.
(c) My Side of the Mountain.
(d) Jane Eyre.
3. Who stares at Rachel during seventh period in Chapter 4?
(a) A male teacher.
(d) The new girl.
4. What performance comes to town in Chapter 8?
(a) The Sound of Music.
(c) The HMS Pinafore.
5. Why does Rachel feel guilty about telling Helena about Grandpa Izzy's illness?
(a) It feels like she just tells her for the sympathy.
(b) Helena is already upset about Mikey.
(c) Helena's grandfather died recently.
(d) Her mother told her not to dicuss it with anyone.
6. What does Dr. North say about Izzy's fall?
(a) He is losing control of his legs.
(b) It was caused by breating difficulties.
(c) It has made his situation more severe.
(d) It is unrealted to his illness.
7. What do the Coopers do while they are at Grandpa Izzy's in Chapter 15?
(a) Build a house of cards.
(b) Play Euchre.
(c) Do a jigsaw puzzle.
(d) Play Scrabble.
8. Why does Izzy cook for Rachel in Chapter 27?
(a) To prove that he can.
(b) He is tired of people fussing over him.
(c) Shirley and Manny work late.
(d) He wants to take her to a movie.
9. Who does Izzy say Rachel should have been named for?
(a) Eva, his wife.
(b) A poet named Elsbeth.
(c) The patron saint of patience.
(d) Beth, his mother.
10. What does Dr. North say is wrong with Grandpa Izzy when Rachel and Shirley meet him in Chapter 10?
(a) There is nothing wrong with him.
(b) He has severe allergies and asthma.
(c) He needs a heart transplant.
(d) He has a form of cancer.
11. What does Izzy tell Rachel that Eva was afraid of?
(c) Being poor.
12. What happens to Grandpa Izzy that requires Rachel to go get him in Chapter 16?
(a) He falls while walking.
(b) He has a seizure and falls in a ditch.
(c) He is hit by a baseball.
(d) He is hit by a car.
13. What does Rachel do to occupy her mind while walking with Izzy after school in Chapter 20?
(a) Sings a song she is learning in chorus.
(b) Makes up stories and thinks about Lewis.
(c) Imagines being a world famous reporter.
(d) Counts the number of pigeons they see.
14. Who writes a letter and who is the recipient in Chapter 2?
(a) Jeremy writes to Rachel.
(b) Helena writes to Rachel.
(c) Rachel writes to an unnamed pen pal.
(d) Rachel writers to Jeremy.
15. Why is Shirley upset on Sunday in Chapter 15?
(a) She has to tell Izzy that he has cancer and is dying.
(b) Rachel doesn't want to go to Izzy's for the traditional Sunday meal.
(c) She doesn't want to face Izzy who doesn't know he is dying.
(d) Manny wants her to tell Izzy about the cancer, but she doesn't want to.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mikey want to be when he grows up?
2. Where do Rachel and her friends go after school lets out in Chapter 19?
3. Who calls Rachel when she is home alone in Chapter 9?
4. Where does Izzy take Rachel on their bus ride together?
5. What is Shirley doing when Rachel apologizes to her in Chapter 3?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)