|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Shirley upset on Sunday in Chapter 15?
(a) She doesn't want to face Izzy who doesn't know he is dying.
(b) Rachel doesn't want to go to Izzy's for the traditional Sunday meal.
(c) She has to tell Izzy that he has cancer and is dying.
(d) Manny wants her to tell Izzy about the cancer, but she doesn't want to.
2. Who does Rachel interview for the school paper?
(a) An actor.
(b) Grandpa Izzy.
(c) The school nurse.
(d) Helena's father.
3. What does Izzy say to Rachel every day after their walks when they reach his apartment lobby?
(a) Who knows if I'll be here tomorrow.
(b) Don't do me any favors tomorrow.
(c) I suppose you're coming tomorrow?
(d) Same time tomorrow?
4. Where do Rachel's parents go in Chapter 9?
(a) On a date.
(b) To a friend's house.
(c) To a funeral.
(d) For a hike.
5. What does Dr. North give Shirley before she and Rachel leave his office?
(a) A message for Manny.
(b) A prescription for pain medication.
(c) A jar of jelly his wife made.
(d) A phone number for hospice.
6. Who is Rachel's best friend?
7. Where do Rachel and Lewis go together on a Saturday in Chapter 13?
(a) To the movies.
(b) To a party.
(c) To the county fair.
(d) To the lake.
8. Who calls Rachel when she is home alone in Chapter 9?
(c) Grandpa Izzy.
9. What does Rachel describe happening in Chapter 2 at the kitchen table?
(a) Her father says he has lost his job.
(b) Her parents have a violent argument.
(c) She explodes in anger at ther parents.
(d) Her mother drinks too much.
10. After meeting with Dr. North, what does Shirley tell her father about his health?
(a) She tells him he has a clean bill of health.
(b) She doesn't tell him anything.
(c) That he needs a donor.
(d) That he has brought this on himself.
11. In Chapter 13, what does Lewis give Rachel after their date, when they are at the burger place?
(a) An eskimo kiss.
(b) A love letter.
(c) A picture of himself.
(d) A music tape.
12. Who ran away to England when he was younger than Rachel is in the story?
(b) Grandpa Izzy.
(c) Uncle Lenny.
13. What book does Rachel say she read five times when she was ten years old?
(a) The Trumpet of the Swans.
(b) My Side of the Mountain.
(c) Jane Eyre.
(d) Little Women.
14. Why are Rachel's parents annoyed with her when she first arrives home in the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) She didn't leave a note.
(b) They got a phone call from her school.
(c) She interrupts their argument.
(d) She didn't do her chores.
15. What does Rachel do to occupy her mind while walking with Izzy after school in Chapter 20?
(a) Imagines being a world famous reporter.
(b) Sings a song she is learning in chorus.
(c) Makes up stories and thinks about Lewis.
(d) Counts the number of pigeons they see.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Izzy cook for Rachel in Chapter 27?
2. What best describes Izzy's mood at the family dinner in Chapter 15?
3. Where do the Coopers go on Sunday mornings?
4. What is one of the things that Eva asked Izzy to do after she died?
5. What does Rachel learn about Shirley and Manny in Chapter 30?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)