|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Grandpa Izzy angry at Rachel in Chapter 20?
(a) She won't buy him cigarettes at the market.
(b) She is being too pushy.
(c) She makes her mother cry.
(d) She didn't come to walk with him.
2. Why does Helena apologize to Rachel in Chapter 12?
(a) For yelling at Rachel on the way home from school.
(b) She called Rachel stupid for telling her about Izzy's illness.
(c) She forgot how real the doctor's office visit was for Rachel.
(d) For taking Rachel's journal.
3. What does Rachel want to be when she grows up?
(a) A writer.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A chef.
4. What book does Rachel say she read five times when she was ten years old?
(a) My Side of the Mountain.
(b) The Trumpet of the Swans.
(c) Jane Eyre.
(d) Little Women.
5. What is true of Izzy and Rachel's walk up Schyler Hill?
(a) Izzy makes it to the top and collapses.
(b) They go to see where Izzy built a bridge.
(c) Izzy can't make it to the top.
(d) They go to see a historic landmark.
6. Who does Izzy tell Rachel called to check on him after his fall?
(a) Alice Farnum.
(b) Mrs. Minor.
(d) Dr. Roof.
7. What is one thing Manny does to anger Rachel in Chapter 2?
(a) Called her by a hated nickname.
(b) Says he didn't need that job anyway.
(c) Makes her mother cry.
(d) Compares her to another girl.
8. What does Rachel do to occupy her mind while walking with Izzy after school in Chapter 20?
(a) Sings a song she is learning in chorus.
(b) Imagines being a world famous reporter.
(c) Counts the number of pigeons they see.
(d) Makes up stories and thinks about Lewis.
9. What does Alice Farnum wear when she visits Izzy in Chapter 26?
(a) Oversized sunglasses.
(b) Black gloves.
(c) A turban.
(d) A muumuu.
10. Who ran away to England when he was younger than Rachel is in the story?
(b) Uncle Lenny.
(d) Grandpa Izzy.
11. Why is Shirley mad at Rachel in Chapter 13?
(a) Because Rachel didn't empty the garbage on pick up day.
(b) She says Rachel doesn't care about Izzy.
(c) For forgetting to tell Shirley about the concert.
(d) For getting in trouble at school.
12. Why are Rachel's parents annoyed with her when she first arrives home in the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) She didn't do her chores.
(b) She didn't leave a note.
(c) They got a phone call from her school.
(d) She interrupts their argument.
13. What does Rachel learn about Shirley and Manny in Chapter 30?
(a) That Shirley left another man to be with Manny.
(b) That they had a child who died before she was born.
(c) That they eloped.
(d) That they quit college when she was born.
14. When Rachel arrives at Izzy's for their walk in Chapter 23, what does she find?
(a) Izzy is passed out on the floor.
(b) Izzy is asleep on the sofa.
(c) Izzy has emptied the apartment.
(d) Izzy is not home.
15. What does Rachel describe happening in Chapter 2 at the kitchen table?
(a) Her parents have a violent argument.
(b) Her father says he has lost his job.
(c) Her mother drinks too much.
(d) She explodes in anger at ther parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. North say is wrong with Grandpa Izzy when Rachel and Shirley meet him in Chapter 10?
2. What does Izzy cook for Rachel in Chapter 27?
3. What does Izzy give to Rachel in Chapter 30?
4. What does Rachel say she is afraid of in Chapter 6?
5. How do Rachel and Grandpa Izzy get home from the location of Izzy's accident?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)