|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Izzy cook for Rachel in Chapter 27?
(a) Chicken marsala.
(b) Spaghetti and meatballs.
(c) Scrambled eggs.
(d) Macaroni and cheese.
2. How can Rachel tell that Izzy is in a bad mood when she arrives for their walk on Friday in Chapter 22?
(a) His eyebrows and furrowed and he is silent.
(b) He tells her he is in a bad mood.
(c) He kicks over a trashcan.
(d) His fists are clenched and he makes her paces in the lobby.
3. Who stares at Rachel during seventh period in Chapter 4?
(b) A male teacher.
(d) The new girl.
4. What does Mikey want to be when he grows up?
(a) A politician.
(b) A physical therapist.
(c) A basketball player.
(d) An airline pilot.
5. What is Rachel's nickname within her family?
6. What did Grandpa Izzy do for a living before he retired?
(a) He was a mechanic.
(b) He was a soldier.
(c) He was a stonemason.
(d) He was a teacher.
7. What does Izzy ask Rachel in Chapter 27?
(a) Why she walks with him.
(b) What she wants to be when she grows up.
(c) What the doctor said.
(d) Where Shirley went.
8. Why are Rachel's parents annoyed with her when she first arrives home in the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) She interrupts their argument.
(b) She didn't leave a note.
(c) They got a phone call from her school.
(d) She didn't do her chores.
9. What does Rachel learn about Shirley and Manny in Chapter 30?
(a) That they eloped.
(b) That they quit college when she was born.
(c) That they had a child who died before she was born.
(d) That Shirley left another man to be with Manny.
10. Izzy is not waiting in the lobby in Chapter 24. What does Rachel do when she finally finds him?
(a) Grabs his hand and kisses it.
(b) Hugs him.
(c) Cries with relief.
(d) Yells at him for scaring her.
11. What does Izzy say to Rachel every day after their walks when they reach his apartment lobby?
(a) I suppose you're coming tomorrow?
(b) Same time tomorrow?
(c) Don't do me any favors tomorrow.
(d) Who knows if I'll be here tomorrow.
12. How does Rachel begin Monday morning in Chapter 7?
(a) She is in a car accident.
(b) She eats bacon and pancakes with her parents.
(c) She get to school early for a school paper meeting.
(d) She is running late.
13. Who accompanies Rachel to Poppie's Diner in Chapter 21?
(d) Granpa Izzy.
14. What does Rachel do to occupy her mind while walking with Izzy after school in Chapter 20?
(a) Sings a song she is learning in chorus.
(b) Makes up stories and thinks about Lewis.
(c) Counts the number of pigeons they see.
(d) Imagines being a world famous reporter.
15. When Rachel takes Izzy to a café in Chapter 28, what does she buy him?
(a) Hot cocoa.
(b) Apple pie a la mode.
(c) Black coffee.
(d) Maple syrup ice cream.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ran away to England when he was younger than Rachel is in the story?
2. Who is Rachel's best friend?
3. Who does Izzy tell Rachel called to check on him after his fall?
4. What does Rachel say she is afraid of in Chapter 6?
5. Who writes a letter and who is the recipient in Chapter 2?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)