|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rachel want to be when she grows up?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A chef.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A writer.
2. What happens to Grandpa Izzy that requires Rachel to go get him in Chapter 16?
(a) He is hit by a car.
(b) He is hit by a baseball.
(c) He falls while walking.
(d) He has a seizure and falls in a ditch.
3. What does Dr. North give Shirley before she and Rachel leave his office?
(a) A message for Manny.
(b) A jar of jelly his wife made.
(c) A prescription for pain medication.
(d) A phone number for hospice.
4. What does Rachel describe happening in Chapter 2 at the kitchen table?
(a) Her father says he has lost his job.
(b) She explodes in anger at ther parents.
(c) Her mother drinks too much.
(d) Her parents have a violent argument.
5. What does Rachel tell Izzy to do in Chapter 18?
(a) To take the medicine his doctor prescribed.
(b) To walk in the park where people are around.
(c) To wait for his walk until she gets there.
(d) To stop being so mean to his own family.
6. Why does Izzy cook for Rachel in Chapter 27?
(a) He is tired of people fussing over him.
(b) He wants to take her to a movie.
(c) Shirley and Manny work late.
(d) To prove that he can.
7. What else does Izzy say to Rachel every day after their walks when they reach his apartment lobby?
(a) That Helena goes with them.
(b) To get to know him better.
(c) To wear headphones.
(d) That they go to the zoo.
8. Who is Rachel's best friend?
9. Who does Rachel interview for the school paper?
(a) Helena's father.
(b) Grandpa Izzy.
(c) An actor.
(d) The school nurse.
10. Who is the second person that Rachel interviews for the school paper?
(a) Principal Norris.
(c) Coach Al.
(d) Wilda Sycora.
11. What does Rachel say she is afraid of in Chapter 6?
12. Why does Helena apologize to Rachel in Chapter 12?
(a) For yelling at Rachel on the way home from school.
(b) For taking Rachel's journal.
(c) She called Rachel stupid for telling her about Izzy's illness.
(d) She forgot how real the doctor's office visit was for Rachel.
13. What does Izzy give to Alice Farnum in Chapter 26?
(a) A cup of sugar.
(b) A record album.
(c) A plant.
(d) A book.
14. What does Rachel realize is the reason for Izzy's bad mood in Chapter 22?
(a) Alice Farnum has upset him.
(b) He just got off the phone with Shirley.
(c) He just got off the phone with Dr. North.
(d) He doesn't get to walk on Thursdays.
15. What does Izzy tell Rachel about the stone wall they see on their walk in Chapter 23?
(a) He proposed to Eve next to the wall.
(b) He built the wall.
(c) He threw rocks at the wall after Eva's death.
(d) He repaired the wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Rachel and Helena do in Chapter 5?
2. Izzy is not waiting in the lobby in Chapter 24. What does Rachel do when she finally finds him?
3. Where do Rachel and her friends go after school lets out in Chapter 19?
4. Where do Rachel and Lewis go together on a Saturday in Chapter 13?
5. What happens to Rachel at school on Monday in Chapter 7?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)