|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Izzy say Rachel should have been named for?
(a) Beth, his mother.
(b) The patron saint of patience.
(c) Eva, his wife.
(d) A poet named Elsbeth.
2. Who plays basketball every Saturday?
(a) The Minors.
(b) Manny and Rachel.
(c) Lewis and Mikey.
3. What is true of Jeremy?
(a) He was in the Vietnam War.
(b) He is a writer.
(c) He has a pregnant wife.
(d) He has a chronic illness that prevents him from working.
4. In Chapter 16, who calls the Cooper's house while Rachel is home alone?
(a) Rachel's boss.
(b) Dr. North.
(c) Alice Farnum.
(d) Coach Al.
5. What item gets broken in Chapter 13?
(a) A cut crystal vase.
(b) An Oriental lampshade.
(c) A ceramic candle holder.
(d) An English china sugar bowl.
6. What best describes Izzy's mood at the family dinner in Chapter 15?
(a) Angier that usual.
(b) Contentious and gruff.
(c) Uncharacteristically kind.
(d) Subdued and silent.
7. Why is Grandpa Izzy angry at Rachel in Chapter 20?
(a) She didn't come to walk with him.
(b) She is being too pushy.
(c) She won't buy him cigarettes at the market.
(d) She makes her mother cry.
8. Izzy is not waiting in the lobby in Chapter 24. What does Rachel do when she finally finds him?
(a) Hugs him.
(b) Cries with relief.
(c) Grabs his hand and kisses it.
(d) Yells at him for scaring her.
9. Where do Rachel's parents go in Chapter 9?
(a) To a friend's house.
(b) For a hike.
(c) To a funeral.
(d) On a date.
10. What does Izzy tell Rachel he left on one of the bridges he worked on?
(a) A present for Eva.
(b) A footprint.
(c) A handprint.
(d) His favorite coat.
11. What does Dr. North say about Izzy's fall?
(a) It is unrealted to his illness.
(b) He is losing control of his legs.
(c) It has made his situation more severe.
(d) It was caused by breating difficulties.
12. Why does Rachel suggest that Lewis was staring at her?
(a) Because someone is spreading rumors about her.
(b) Because he is a spaced out druggie.
(c) Because his is nearsighted.
(d) Because he hates her.
13. Why does Helena apologize to Rachel in Chapter 12?
(a) She forgot how real the doctor's office visit was for Rachel.
(b) She called Rachel stupid for telling her about Izzy's illness.
(c) For taking Rachel's journal.
(d) For yelling at Rachel on the way home from school.
14. What else does Izzy say to Rachel every day after their walks when they reach his apartment lobby?
(a) To wear headphones.
(b) That they go to the zoo.
(c) That Helena goes with them.
(d) To get to know him better.
15. What does Dr. North say is wrong with Grandpa Izzy when Rachel and Shirley meet him in Chapter 10?
(a) He has severe allergies and asthma.
(b) He needs a heart transplant.
(c) He has a form of cancer.
(d) There is nothing wrong with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies Rachel to Poppie's Diner in Chapter 21?
2. What happens to Grandpa Izzy that requires Rachel to go get him in Chapter 16?
3. Who calls Rachel when she is home alone in Chapter 9?
4. What does Izzy tell Rachel about the stone wall they see on their walk in Chapter 23?
5. Who does Izzy tell Rachel called to check on him after his fall?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)