|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. North give Shirley before she and Rachel leave his office?
(a) A prescription for pain medication.
(b) A jar of jelly his wife made.
(c) A phone number for hospice.
(d) A message for Manny.
2. What does Izzy tell Rachel about the stone wall they see on their walk in Chapter 23?
(a) He threw rocks at the wall after Eva's death.
(b) He proposed to Eve next to the wall.
(c) He built the wall.
(d) He repaired the wall.
3. What does Izzy cook for Rachel in Chapter 27?
(a) Macaroni and cheese.
(b) Scrambled eggs.
(c) Spaghetti and meatballs.
(d) Chicken marsala.
4. Why does Izzy cook for Rachel in Chapter 27?
(a) He wants to take her to a movie.
(b) To prove that he can.
(c) He is tired of people fussing over him.
(d) Shirley and Manny work late.
5. Who accompanies Rachel to Poppie's Diner in Chapter 21?
(c) Granpa Izzy.
6. What is true of Jeremy?
(a) He is a writer.
(b) He has a chronic illness that prevents him from working.
(c) He has a pregnant wife.
(d) He was in the Vietnam War.
7. Where does Izzy take Rachel on their bus ride together?
(a) To see where he proposed to Eva.
(b) To his old home.
(c) To see the bridges he built.
(d) To the hospital.
8. What does Grandpa Izzy do every day?
(a) Walks four miles.
(b) Takes meals to an elderly woman.
(d) Gets a shot.
9. Why does Helena apologize to Rachel in Chapter 12?
(a) She forgot how real the doctor's office visit was for Rachel.
(b) She called Rachel stupid for telling her about Izzy's illness.
(c) For taking Rachel's journal.
(d) For yelling at Rachel on the way home from school.
10. What does Rachel learn about Shirley and Manny in Chapter 30?
(a) That they eloped.
(b) That they quit college when she was born.
(c) That Shirley left another man to be with Manny.
(d) That they had a child who died before she was born.
11. What does Shirley tell Manny she wants in Chapter 18?
(a) To go and stay with Izzy for a while.
(b) To hire an aide for Izzy.
(c) For Izzy to live with them.
(d) To tell Izzy about his cancer.
12. What happens to Grandpa Izzy that requires Rachel to go get him in Chapter 16?
(a) He is hit by a baseball.
(b) He is hit by a car.
(c) He has a seizure and falls in a ditch.
(d) He falls while walking.
13. Where do Rachel's parents go in Chapter 9?
(a) To a funeral.
(b) On a date.
(c) For a hike.
(d) To a friend's house.
14. Where do Rachel and her mother go to picky up Izzy in Chapter 7?
(a) The senior center.
(b) The mall.
(c) The hospital.
(d) His apartment.
15. Who calls Rachel when she is home alone in Chapter 9?
(b) Grandpa Izzy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rachel suggest that Lewis was staring at her?
2. Who ran away to England when he was younger than Rachel is in the story?
3. How can Rachel tell that Izzy is in a bad mood when she arrives for their walk on Friday in Chapter 22?
4. Who does Rachel interview for the school paper?
5. Where do Izzy and Rachel go together in Chapter 23?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)