|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rachel learn about Shirley and Manny in Chapter 30?
(a) That Shirley left another man to be with Manny.
(b) That they eloped.
(c) That they quit college when she was born.
(d) That they had a child who died before she was born.
2. What is Shirley doing when Rachel apologizes to her in Chapter 3?
(a) Knitting a scarf for Grandpa Izzy.
(b) Playing solitaire.
(c) Drinking from a bottle of gin.
(d) Snoring loudly.
3. How can Rachel tell that Izzy is in a bad mood when she arrives for their walk on Friday in Chapter 22?
(a) He kicks over a trashcan.
(b) He tells her he is in a bad mood.
(c) His eyebrows and furrowed and he is silent.
(d) His fists are clenched and he makes her paces in the lobby.
4. What does Rachel realize is the reason for Izzy's bad mood in Chapter 22?
(a) He doesn't get to walk on Thursdays.
(b) He just got off the phone with Shirley.
(c) He just got off the phone with Dr. North.
(d) Alice Farnum has upset him.
5. Where do Izzy and Rachel go together in Chapter 23?
(a) The one room schoolhouse where Eva taught.
(b) The cemetery where Grandma Eva is buried.
(c) The church were Eva and Izzy were married.
(d) The house where Eva and Izzy used to live.
6. Where is the most recent postcard that Rachel has received from Jeremy sent from, as of Chapter 3?
(b) New Orleans.
7. What does Mikey want to be when he grows up?
(a) A basketball player.
(b) A physical therapist.
(c) A politician.
(d) An airline pilot.
8. What does Dr. North say about Izzy's fall?
(a) It has made his situation more severe.
(b) He is losing control of his legs.
(c) It is unrealted to his illness.
(d) It was caused by breating difficulties.
9. In Chapter 16, who calls the Cooper's house while Rachel is home alone?
(a) Alice Farnum.
(b) Coach Al.
(c) Dr. North.
(d) Rachel's boss.
10. Who plays basketball every Saturday?
(a) The Minors.
(b) Manny and Rachel.
(c) Lewis and Mikey.
11. What do Rachel and Helena do in Chapter 5?
(a) Play paddleball.
(b) Look at teen magazines.
(d) Make a crank phone call.
12. What do the Coopers do while they are at Grandpa Izzy's in Chapter 15?
(a) Build a house of cards.
(b) Play Euchre.
(c) Play Scrabble.
(d) Do a jigsaw puzzle.
13. What does Shirley tell Manny she wants in Chapter 18?
(a) To tell Izzy about his cancer.
(b) To go and stay with Izzy for a while.
(c) For Izzy to live with them.
(d) To hire an aide for Izzy.
14. What does Rachel do to occupy her mind while walking with Izzy after school in Chapter 20?
(a) Imagines being a world famous reporter.
(b) Counts the number of pigeons they see.
(c) Makes up stories and thinks about Lewis.
(d) Sings a song she is learning in chorus.
15. Who accompanies Rachel to Poppie's Diner in Chapter 21?
(c) Granpa Izzy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rachel's nickname within her family?
2. Why are Rachel's parents annoyed with her when she first arrives home in the beginning of Chapter 17?
3. What does Rachel tell Izzy to do in Chapter 18?
4. Why does Rachel feel guilty about telling Helena about Grandpa Izzy's illness?
5. Who stares at Rachel during seventh period in Chapter 4?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)