|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing Manny does to anger Rachel in Chapter 2?
(a) Compares her to another girl.
(b) Called her by a hated nickname.
(c) Makes her mother cry.
(d) Says he didn't need that job anyway.
2. Who does Rachel interview for the school paper?
(a) Helena's father.
(b) An actor.
(c) The school nurse.
(d) Grandpa Izzy.
3. Who writes a letter and who is the recipient in Chapter 2?
(a) Helena writes to Rachel.
(b) Rachel writers to Jeremy.
(c) Rachel writes to an unnamed pen pal.
(d) Jeremy writes to Rachel.
4. What does Mikey want to be when he grows up?
(a) A basketball player.
(b) A physical therapist.
(c) An airline pilot.
(d) A politician.
5. Who accompanies Rachel to Poppie's Diner in Chapter 21?
(c) Granpa Izzy.
6. What does Izzy say to Rachel every day after their walks when they reach his apartment lobby?
(a) Don't do me any favors tomorrow.
(b) Who knows if I'll be here tomorrow.
(c) Same time tomorrow?
(d) I suppose you're coming tomorrow?
7. Why does Rachel suggest that Lewis was staring at her?
(a) Because his is nearsighted.
(b) Because he is a spaced out druggie.
(c) Because someone is spreading rumors about her.
(d) Because he hates her.
8. How can Rachel tell that Izzy is in a bad mood when she arrives for their walk on Friday in Chapter 22?
(a) His fists are clenched and he makes her paces in the lobby.
(b) He tells her he is in a bad mood.
(c) He kicks over a trashcan.
(d) His eyebrows and furrowed and he is silent.
9. What does Shirley tell Manny she wants in Chapter 18?
(a) To hire an aide for Izzy.
(b) For Izzy to live with them.
(c) To go and stay with Izzy for a while.
(d) To tell Izzy about his cancer.
10. Where does Rachel work from 5 to 9?
(a) At a grocery store.
(b) At a fast food restaurant.
(c) At a drycleaning facility.
(d) At a library.
11. What does Izzy give to Rachel in Chapter 30?
(a) A key to his apartment.
(b) A picture of Shirley and Eva.
(c) A picture of Izzy and Eva.
(d) His old union card.
12. Why is Shirley mad at Rachel in Chapter 13?
(a) For getting in trouble at school.
(b) Because Rachel didn't empty the garbage on pick up day.
(c) She says Rachel doesn't care about Izzy.
(d) For forgetting to tell Shirley about the concert.
13. What is Shirley doing when Rachel apologizes to her in Chapter 3?
(a) Knitting a scarf for Grandpa Izzy.
(b) Playing solitaire.
(c) Drinking from a bottle of gin.
(d) Snoring loudly.
14. Why does Rachel argue with Lewis after their first kiss?
(a) She is laughing.
(b) She is embarrased.
(c) She is crying.
(d) She is jealous.
15. In Chapter 13, what does Lewis give Rachel after their date, when they are at the burger place?
(a) A music tape.
(b) A picture of himself.
(c) An eskimo kiss.
(d) A love letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Izzy tell Rachel about the stone wall they see on their walk in Chapter 23?
2. What do Rachel and Helena do in Chapter 5?
3. Why does Izzy cook for Rachel in Chapter 27?
4. What does Izzy say about Rachel to a neighbor after their walk?
5. What happens to Rachel at school on Monday in Chapter 7?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)