|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides just knowing about his son's behavior, what has the General also learned about his son?
2. Once Kate finally starts the bus, what happens?
3. Who is Artkin shot by?
4. How does Kate use her sexuality in the book?
5. What is Artkin's character perceived to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Ben felt so much guilt over the past few years?
2. What does the General remember about the day of the hijacking?
3. How is the book's ending ironic?
4. Why are the deaths horribly tragic in the book?
5. How does Kate start the bus?
6. Why is Raymond forced to take more candy?
7. Why isn't Miro blamed for his inability to control Kate?
8. Why isn't Kate killed during or after her escape attempt?
9. To the reader, what does it seem like the General has chosen?
10. Where does Miro leave Kate's body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author likens the children and young adults in the novel to game pawns.
Do you think this is an appropriate comparison for the author to make?
How do the adults use the children in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of forgiveness throughout the book. Choose three instances in which a character attempts to ask for forgiveness.
Essay Topic 3
How has the General's actions caused Ben to commit suicide?
How could the General have prevented the death of his son?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)