|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the leader learn about Ben?
2. After Ben recovered from his wounds, what happened to him?
3. Why does Miro kill Kate?
4. The General's choice to use his son was ________.
5. How does Artkin learn about the assault on the terrorists?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the General do to Ben to make sure, that he could always know what was happening with Ben?
2. What does the reader begin to wonder about Ben's involvement with the terrorists?
3. What does the General remember about the day of the hijacking?
4. Why does Kate become nervous and sad?
5. Where does Miro leave Kate's body?
6. What does the reader discover about the General in this section?
7. Why does Artkin kill Raymond?
8. Why is Raymond forced to take more candy?
9. How does Kate start the bus?
10. Prior to Ben's death, what type of the man was the General?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Kate's character. Consider the following questions:
- What is the purpose of Kate's character?
- How does she attempt to use her own sexuality to free herself and the children?
Essay Topic 2
Ben's character is used to show several themes throughout the story. He is an innocent young man that is used by his father and others to get what they want.
Through Ben's character, what themes are explored by the author?
Which theme is the most prevalent throughout the story.
Essay Topic 3
A little over half way through the novel, the reader is surprised when the narrator changes.
How does the change in narrator create a different tone and feeling in the novel?
Why do you think Cormier chose to change the narrator.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)