|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kate finally encourage Raymond to eat the candy?
2. Why is Raymond's death so sad?
3. How does Artkin die?
4. While everything happens, what happens to the helicopter?
5. What does he hope to do now that the mission is over?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Artkin kill Raymond?
2. What happens to Kate's rescue/escape attempt?
3. What do the terrorists think will happen with the attack from Inner Delta?
4. How is the book's ending ironic?
5. What does the General remember about the day of the hijacking?
6. What does the reader begin to wonder about Ben's involvement with the terrorists?
7. What explains Ben's need for forgiveness from his father.
8. Why are the deaths horribly tragic in the book?
9. Why does Miro decide to kill Kate?
10. How does Miro get away from the ambush?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What American rites of passage are present or mentioned in this novel?
What characters are forced to go through these?
How might these rites of passage differ from ones that Miro was forced to live through.
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, did Ben's father choose this work over his son's life?
Explain your stance. Provide information from the book to support your point.
Essay Topic 3
Kate, Ben, and Raymond are all but in a very dangerous situation in which there is little hope and a large amount of doubt.
How do characters deal with doubt in the novel?
What do they look to in order to carry themselves through the difficult situations they have been put in?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)