|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Artkin's character perceived to be?
2. When does Kate think she can steal the bus?
3. How do the terrorists react to this death?
4. What does Kate realize about Artkin and Miro's relationship?
5. Does the author provide some kind of closure for Kate's character and her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miro think about as Artkin tortures Ben?
2. Why is Raymond forced to take more candy?
3. What shocks the reader in this section?
4. What does the reader discover about the General in this section?
5. How does Miro get away from the ambush?
6. Why isn't Kate killed during or after her escape attempt?
7. What is shocking about the end of the novel?
8. Why has Ben felt so much guilt over the past few years?
9. What does the General remember about the day of the hijacking?
10. How is the book's ending ironic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What qualities do Artkin and Miro share with one another? Are they typical father and son similarities
How has Artkin trained Miro to become a terrorist and how does Miro fight the urge to become a terrorist?
Essay Topic 2
The author likens the children and young adults in the novel to game pawns.
Do you think this is an appropriate comparison for the author to make?
How do the adults use the children in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Kate's character. Consider the following questions:
- What is the purpose of Kate's character?
- How does she attempt to use her own sexuality to free herself and the children?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)