|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The day of the hijacking, where does the General search for his son?
2. How does Miro feel about this realization?
3. How did the General learn about Ben's school work?
4. The General's choice to use his son was ________.
5. What does Kate beg them to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the General do to Ben to make sure, that he could always know what was happening with Ben?
2. What does the reader discover about the General in this section?
3. As the General looks back on the day of the hijacking, what does he wonder?
4. Why isn't Kate killed during or after her escape attempt?
5. Where does Miro leave Kate's body?
6. Why does Artkin kill Raymond?
7. Who has taken over the narration of the novel in this section?
8. What does Miro think about as Artkin tortures Ben?
9. What does the General remember about the day of the hijacking?
10. To the reader, what does it seem like the General has chosen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kate, Ben, and Raymond are all but in a very dangerous situation in which there is little hope and a large amount of doubt.
How do characters deal with doubt in the novel?
What do they look to in order to carry themselves through the difficult situations they have been put in?
Essay Topic 2
It seems as though the author is constantly trying to compare the lives of the three main characters. What themes does the author seem to emphasize with Kate, Ben, and Miro?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Kate's character. Consider the following questions:
- What is the purpose of Kate's character?
- How does she attempt to use her own sexuality to free herself and the children?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)