|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the General use Ben to go into the hijacking situation?
2. Why don't the terrorists decide to kill Kate?
3. How does the reader sense that Artkin's and Miro's relationship is different?
4. What is unique about all of the children who have died?
5. Before the assault, how did Miro feel about the violence he was participating in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Miro leave Kate's body?
2. As the General looks back on the day of the hijacking, what does he wonder?
3. Why does Miro decide to kill Kate?
4. How does Miro get away from the ambush?
5. Why has Ben felt so much guilt over the past few years?
6. How does Kate start the bus?
7. Why does Artkin kill Raymond?
8. What shocks the reader in this section?
9. Why are the deaths horribly tragic in the book?
10. What explains Ben's need for forgiveness from his father.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has the General's actions caused Ben to commit suicide?
How could the General have prevented the death of his son?
Essay Topic 2
Does the author do a good job of hiding the surprise ending in the novel?
How does he create intensity as the great revelation gets closer?
Essay Topic 3
What American rites of passage are present or mentioned in this novel?
What characters are forced to go through these?
How might these rites of passage differ from ones that Miro was forced to live through.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)