|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country do the terrorists seem to be fighting for?
2. Before the assault, how did Miro feel about the violence he was participating in?
3. Does Miro accept Kate's apology?
4. What did the General know that Ben would do if he was captured?
5. Who is Artkin shot by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What explains Ben's need for forgiveness from his father.
2. Where does Miro leave Kate's body?
3. Who has taken over the narration of the novel in this section?
4. Why has Ben felt so much guilt over the past few years?
5. What shocks the reader in this section?
6. What does the reader discover about the General in this section?
7. Why is Raymond forced to take more candy?
8. How does Miro get away from the ambush?
9. What does the reader begin to wonder about Ben's involvement with the terrorists?
10. What is shocking about the end of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of forgiveness throughout the book. Choose three instances in which a character attempts to ask for forgiveness.
Essay Topic 2
Is foreshadowing a device that Cormier uses throughout his novel?
If so, what characters, or section of the novel does he choose to use this device in.
Give 3 instances of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Cruelty is another major theme in the novel. How do the following characters, act cruelly towards another human being?
- The General
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)