|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Raymond's death so sad?
2. What does the General make sure that Ben had?
3. Who is shot by a sniper?
4. Once Kate finally starts the bus, what happens?
5. What does the leader learn about Ben?
Short Essay Questions
1. Prior to Ben's death, what type of the man was the General?
2. Why is Raymond forced to take more candy?
3. Why isn't Miro blamed for his inability to control Kate?
4. How does Artkin die?
5. What led to Ben's suicide.
6. To the reader, what does it seem like the General has chosen?
7. What did the General do to Ben to make sure, that he could always know what was happening with Ben?
8. Why does Miro decide to kill Kate?
9. How does Kate start the bus?
10. What does the reader begin to wonder about Ben's involvement with the terrorists?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ben's character is used to show several themes throughout the story. He is an innocent young man that is used by his father and others to get what they want.
Through Ben's character, what themes are explored by the author?
Which theme is the most prevalent throughout the story.
Essay Topic 2
Cruelty is another major theme in the novel. How do the following characters, act cruelly towards another human being?
- The General
Essay Topic 3
What American rites of passage are present or mentioned in this novel?
What characters are forced to go through these?
How might these rites of passage differ from ones that Miro was forced to live through.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)