|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Artkin learn about the assault on the terrorists?
2. What did the General do to Ben's phone?
3. Why did the General use Ben to go into the hijacking situation?
4. How had the General learned almost everything he knew about Ben?
5. Besides just knowing about his son's behavior, what has the General also learned about his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miro think about as Artkin tortures Ben?
2. What happens to Kate's rescue/escape attempt?
3. How does Artkin die?
4. Why are the deaths horribly tragic in the book?
5. What did the General do to Ben to make sure, that he could always know what was happening with Ben?
6. Why has Ben felt so much guilt over the past few years?
7. Who has taken over the narration of the novel in this section?
8. Why does Miro decide to kill Kate?
9. What does Kate underestimate about Miro?
10. Why isn't Miro blamed for his inability to control Kate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two thirds of the way through the novel, the author begins to focus on two relationships. When it is revealed that Artkin in Miro's father, the author shifts the reader's attention to their apparent father/son relationship. Compare this relationship to Ben and the General.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the ending of the novel and then discuss how the ending of the novel tragic and unfair.
What is an alternate ending you would have liked to see for the story?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in the novel feel regret over their past actions.
Examine the motives and actions of the following characters. If they regretted any of their actions, describe it:
- The General
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)