|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the General leading this new life?
2. Once Kate finally starts the bus, what happens?
3. How do the General's thoughts seem to be organized?
4. How do the terrorists react to this death?
5. While everything happens, what happens to the helicopter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miro decide to kill Kate?
2. What happens to Kate's rescue/escape attempt?
3. Why are the deaths horribly tragic in the book?
4. What is shocking about the end of the novel?
5. How does Artkin die?
6. What does Kate underestimate about Miro?
7. Where does Miro leave Kate's body?
8. Why has Ben felt so much guilt over the past few years?
9. Why is Raymond forced to take more candy?
10. Prior to Ben's death, what type of the man was the General?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two thirds of the way through the novel, the author begins to focus on two relationships. When it is revealed that Artkin in Miro's father, the author shifts the reader's attention to their apparent father/son relationship. Compare this relationship to Ben and the General.
Essay Topic 2
Ben yearns for love but is unable to find it with Nettie.
Is this because he is not ready to love? Or has he not had enough life experiences to find this type of love.
Essay Topic 3
The author likens the children and young adults in the novel to game pawns.
Do you think this is an appropriate comparison for the author to make?
How do the adults use the children in the novel.
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)