|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ben feel he needs forgiveness?
2. What has the military not figured out about capturing the terrorist leader?
3. What does Kate underestimate?
4. How was the General involved in Ben's school?
5. What causes mass confusion at the hijacking site?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the General do to Ben to make sure, that he could always know what was happening with Ben?
2. What does Kate underestimate about Miro?
3. What does the reader begin to wonder about Ben's involvement with the terrorists?
4. How does Miro get away from the ambush?
5. What led to Ben's suicide.
6. When the assault happens, what does Miro do?
7. Why are the deaths horribly tragic in the book?
8. What shocks the reader in this section?
9. What does Miro think about as Artkin tortures Ben?
10. How is the book's ending ironic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ben's character is used to show several themes throughout the story. He is an innocent young man that is used by his father and others to get what they want.
Through Ben's character, what themes are explored by the author?
Which theme is the most prevalent throughout the story.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in the novel feel regret over their past actions.
Examine the motives and actions of the following characters. If they regretted any of their actions, describe it:
- The General
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Kate's character. Consider the following questions:
- What is the purpose of Kate's character?
- How does she attempt to use her own sexuality to free herself and the children?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)