|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Did Nettie seem to be in love with Ben?
2. What is a second thing the terrorists hope to gain from the hijacking?
3. What does Kate remember about Miro?
4. Why did the hijackers want money?
5. Who is in charge with negotiations with the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the General in charge of while he worked at Forte Delta?
2. What is Ben very eager to do?
3. When was the first time that Ben had learned about Inner Delta?
4. Why doesn't Raymond fall asleep?
5. Where do the terrorists take the children?
6. As the novel begins, what is Ben Marchand waiting for?
7. Why did the author choose to pick the 1970s for the setting of the novel?
8. What does the reader realize as the narration of the novel continues?
9. What does the reader immediately pick up on between Ben and his family?
10. Why does Kate get nervous about having the responsibility of saving the children that are on the bus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kate, Ben, and Raymond are all but in a very dangerous situation in which there is little hope and a large amount of doubt.
How do characters deal with doubt in the novel?
What do they look to in order to carry themselves through the difficult situations they have been put in?
Essay Topic 2
Is foreshadowing a device that Cormier uses throughout his novel?
If so, what characters, or section of the novel does he choose to use this device in.
Give 3 instances of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Kate's character. Consider the following questions:
- What is the purpose of Kate's character?
- How does she attempt to use her own sexuality to free herself and the children?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)