|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kate suffer from?
2. In Miro's life, who has died?
3. What did Ben's father work as?
4. What is one thing the terrorists hope to gain from the hijacking?
5. Who is in charge with negotiations with the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Kate asks to take all of the children to the bathroom, what is she given instead?
2. Why is Miro excited about finally getting to participate with Artkin's plans?
3. What do the events of the novel show to the reader?
4. When was the first time that Ben had learned about Inner Delta?
5. What do the terrorists hope to gain from the negotiations?
6. Why does Kate get nervous about having the responsibility of saving the children that are on the bus?
7. Why is Miro excited for this day?
8. When Ben's father arrives at Ben's dorm, what do the two men do?
9. What do the terrorists do with the child who has died?
10. How do events begin to take a turn for the worse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cruelty is another major theme in the novel. How do the following characters, act cruelly towards another human being?
- The General
Essay Topic 2
A little over half way through the novel, the reader is surprised when the narrator changes.
How does the change in narrator create a different tone and feeling in the novel?
Why do you think Cormier chose to change the narrator.
Essay Topic 3
The author likens the children and young adults in the novel to game pawns.
Do you think this is an appropriate comparison for the author to make?
How do the adults use the children in the novel.
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)