|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age was Miro expected to die?
2. What did the hijackers want to do with Inner Delta?
3. What is one thing the terrorists hope to gain from the hijacking?
4. What has Artkin promised to treat Miro as?
5. In Part 1, what is Ben anticipating?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Artkin summons Miro, what does he tell him about?
2. What do the terrorists do with the child who has died?
3. How do the terrorists get all the children to fall asleep?
4. When Kate asks to take all of the children to the bathroom, what is she given instead?
5. When Ben's father arrives at Ben's dorm, what do the two men do?
6. Why doesn't Raymond fall asleep?
7. According to Ben's father, what do the terrorists want?
8. What type of life did Ben lead while he was growing up?
9. What does the reader realize as the narration of the novel continues?
10. What does Ben remember about the morning of the hijacking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the author do a good job of hiding the surprise ending in the novel?
How does he create intensity as the great revelation gets closer?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Kate's character. Consider the following questions:
- What is the purpose of Kate's character?
- How does she attempt to use her own sexuality to free herself and the children?
Essay Topic 3
Ben yearns for love but is unable to find it with Nettie.
Is this because he is not ready to love? Or has he not had enough life experiences to find this type of love.
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)