|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what group does his father belong?
2. What does Miro tell Kate about?
3. At this point in the book, what is happening with Miro?
4. Did Nettie seem to be in love with Ben?
5. When Miro hears this sound, what does he think is about to begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Ben's father, what do the terrorists want?
2. When Kate asks to take all of the children to the bathroom, what is she given instead?
3. Where did Ben fall in love with Nettie Haversham?
4. What was the General in charge of while he worked at Forte Delta?
5. What does the reader immediately pick up on between Ben and his family?
6. Why doesn't Raymond fall asleep?
7. What type of life did Ben lead while he was growing up?
8. As the novel begins, what is Ben Marchand waiting for?
9. What do the terrorists hope to gain from the negotiations?
10. When Ben's father arrives at Ben's dorm, what do the two men do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What qualities do Artkin and Miro share with one another? Are they typical father and son similarities
How has Artkin trained Miro to become a terrorist and how does Miro fight the urge to become a terrorist?
Essay Topic 2
The author believes that many of the characters have had their innocence stolen. Explain how the following characters have had this taken away from them:
Essay Topic 3
Ben yearns for love but is unable to find it with Nettie.
Is this because he is not ready to love? Or has he not had enough life experiences to find this type of love.
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)