|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kate hope she can do to save the day?
2. How do the terrorists dispose of the dead body?
3. On what continent does the beginning of the novel take place?
4. What does Kate wonder about in this section?
5. What is the General's name when he is doing Inner Delta business?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the terrorists take the children?
2. Why has Ben felt so much guilt over the past few years?
3. What explains Ben's need for forgiveness from his father.
4. How does Artkin die?
5. What do the terrorists think will happen with the attack from Inner Delta?
6. When Kate is using the bathroom, what does she find?
7. What do the terrorists hope to gain from the negotiations?
8. What does the General remember about the day of the hijacking?
9. What does the reader immediately pick up on between Ben and his family?
10. Why isn't Miro blamed for his inability to control Kate?
Essay Topic 1
A little over half way through the novel, the reader is surprised when the narrator changes.
How does the change in narrator create a different tone and feeling in the novel?
Why do you think Cormier chose to change the narrator.
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, did Ben's father choose this work over his son's life?
Explain your stance. Provide information from the book to support your point.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Kate's character. Consider the following questions:
- What is the purpose of Kate's character?
- How does she attempt to use her own sexuality to free herself and the children?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)