|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a second thing the terrorists hope to gain from the hijacking?
2. What do both Ben and the General choose to use to convey their feelings throughout the novel?
3. Where is the bus taken?
4. What is the driver now fighting for?
5. To Ben, the day of the hijacking begins as __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ben remember about the morning of the hijacking?
2. What do the events of the novel show to the reader?
3. When Kate asks to take all of the children to the bathroom, what is she given instead?
4. Where did Ben fall in love with Nettie Haversham?
5. What does Kate discover about Miro?
6. According to Ben's father, what do the terrorists want?
7. When Kate is using the bathroom, what does she find?
8. When was the first time that Ben had learned about Inner Delta?
9. Why is Miro excited about finally getting to participate with Artkin's plans?
10. How do events begin to take a turn for the worse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author believes that many of the characters have had their innocence stolen. Explain how the following characters have had this taken away from them:
Essay Topic 2
It seems as though the author is constantly trying to compare the lives of the three main characters. What themes does the author seem to emphasize with Kate, Ben, and Miro?
Essay Topic 3
Two thirds of the way through the novel, the author begins to focus on two relationships. When it is revealed that Artkin in Miro's father, the author shifts the reader's attention to their apparent father/son relationship. Compare this relationship to Ben and the General.
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)