|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the two characters' days contrasting with one another?
2. When will they hijack the bus?
3. Who is responsible for these three teenagers' problems?
4. Early in the morning what does Miro wait for?
5. Why is Miro anxious about the hijacking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Ben fall in love with Nettie Haversham?
2. Why did the author choose to pick the 1970s for the setting of the novel?
3. When Artkin summons Miro, what does he tell him about?
4. What was the General in charge of while he worked at Forte Delta?
5. How do the terrorists get all the children to fall asleep?
6. What do the terrorists hope to gain from the negotiations?
7. What does the reader immediately pick up on between Ben and his family?
8. What does the reader begin to understand about Miro as the events of the novel play out?
9. According to Ben's father, what do the terrorists want?
10. What is different about Miro and Ben?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of forgiveness throughout the book. Choose three instances in which a character attempts to ask for forgiveness.
Essay Topic 2
To you, what is the definition of humanity?
How do certain characters live up to this definition or fail?
Think of two instances in with a character has acted cruelly or against another human's rights.
Essay Topic 3
Ben's character is used to show several themes throughout the story. He is an innocent young man that is used by his father and others to get what they want.
Through Ben's character, what themes are explored by the author?
Which theme is the most prevalent throughout the story.
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)