|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the terrorists take the dead child outside?
2. At what age was Miro expected to die?
3. What is Ben very eager to find?
4. If all the terrorists die, what do they think will happen to their cause?
5. What is a third thing the terrorists hope to gain from the hijacking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the terrorists hope to gain from the negotiations?
2. How do the terrorists get all the children to fall asleep?
3. When Ben's father arrives at Ben's dorm, what do the two men do?
4. As the novel begins, what is Ben Marchand waiting for?
5. According to Ben's father, what do the terrorists want?
6. When was the first time that Ben had learned about Inner Delta?
7. When Artkin summons Miro, what does he tell him about?
8. As Part 3 begins, what is Ben hoping happens?
9. Where did Ben fall in love with Nettie Haversham?
10. Why does Kate get nervous about having the responsibility of saving the children that are on the bus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author believes that many of the characters have had their innocence stolen. Explain how the following characters have had this taken away from them:
Essay Topic 2
Ben's character is used to show several themes throughout the story. He is an innocent young man that is used by his father and others to get what they want.
Through Ben's character, what themes are explored by the author?
Which theme is the most prevalent throughout the story.
Essay Topic 3
Two thirds of the way through the novel, the author begins to focus on two relationships. When it is revealed that Artkin in Miro's father, the author shifts the reader's attention to their apparent father/son relationship. Compare this relationship to Ben and the General.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)