|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Ben's father been speaking with?
2. What does Miro admire about Artkin?
3. What does Kate wonder about in this section?
4. How are Miro and Ben alike in a sense?
5. Why is Miro anxious about the hijacking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Miro excited for this day?
2. When Ben's father arrives at Ben's dorm, what do the two men do?
3. What does Kate hope for when she hears the helicopters overhead?
4. What type of life did Ben lead while he was growing up?
5. When Kate is using the bathroom, what does she find?
6. Where did Ben fall in love with Nettie Haversham?
7. When Kate asks to take all of the children to the bathroom, what is she given instead?
8. What does the reader immediately pick up on between Ben and his family?
9. What do the events of the novel show to the reader?
10. What is different about Miro and Ben?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two thirds of the way through the novel, the author begins to focus on two relationships. When it is revealed that Artkin in Miro's father, the author shifts the reader's attention to their apparent father/son relationship. Compare this relationship to Ben and the General.
Essay Topic 2
What American rites of passage are present or mentioned in this novel?
What characters are forced to go through these?
How might these rites of passage differ from ones that Miro was forced to live through.
Essay Topic 3
The author likens the children and young adults in the novel to game pawns.
Do you think this is an appropriate comparison for the author to make?
How do the adults use the children in the novel.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)