|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age was Miro expected to die?
2. Did Nettie seem to be in love with Ben?
3. What does Miro admire about Artkin?
4. What does Kate gain by Raymond's deception?
5. What is Miro eager for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the terrorists get all the children to fall asleep?
2. Where did Ben fall in love with Nettie Haversham?
3. How do events begin to take a turn for the worse?
4. What was the General in charge of while he worked at Forte Delta?
5. What does Ben remember about the morning of the hijacking?
6. Why does Kate get nervous about having the responsibility of saving the children that are on the bus?
7. What does the reader immediately pick up on between Ben and his family?
8. Where do the terrorists take the children?
9. When Ben's father arrives at Ben's dorm, what do the two men do?
10. When Kate is using the bathroom, what does she find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems as though the author is constantly trying to compare the lives of the three main characters. What themes does the author seem to emphasize with Kate, Ben, and Miro?
Essay Topic 2
Ben yearns for love but is unable to find it with Nettie.
Is this because he is not ready to love? Or has he not had enough life experiences to find this type of love.
Essay Topic 3
What American rites of passage are present or mentioned in this novel?
What characters are forced to go through these?
How might these rites of passage differ from ones that Miro was forced to live through.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)