|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people will work to hijack the bus?
2. In what time period is the novel set?
3. Why is Miro anxious about the hijacking?
4. How are the two characters' days contrasting with one another?
5. Why is Miro surprised when he meets the driver?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the novel begins, what is Ben Marchand waiting for?
2. What is different about Miro and Ben?
3. Where do the terrorists take the children?
4. Why does Kate get nervous about having the responsibility of saving the children that are on the bus?
5. What do the terrorists hope to gain from the negotiations?
6. Why is Miro excited for this day?
7. When Kate asks to take all of the children to the bathroom, what is she given instead?
8. How do the terrorists get all the children to fall asleep?
9. Where did Ben fall in love with Nettie Haversham?
10. What does the reader begin to understand about Miro as the events of the novel play out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your opinion, did Ben's father choose this work over his son's life?
Explain your stance. Provide information from the book to support your point.
Essay Topic 2
Kate, Ben, and Raymond are all but in a very dangerous situation in which there is little hope and a large amount of doubt.
How do characters deal with doubt in the novel?
What do they look to in order to carry themselves through the difficult situations they have been put in?
Essay Topic 3
The author believes that many of the characters have had their innocence stolen. Explain how the following characters have had this taken away from them:
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)