Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the bus taken?
2. What does Miro admire about Artkin?
3. What does Ben Marchand seem to carry around with him?
4. Why does Kate start to talk with Miro?
5. What do both Ben and the General choose to use to convey their feelings throughout the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Artkin die?
2. Why are the deaths horribly tragic in the book?
3. When Kate is using the bathroom, what does she find?
4. Who has taken over the narration of the novel in this section?
5. What does Kate underestimate about Miro?
6. What explains Ben's need for forgiveness from his father.
7. When Kate asks to take all of the children to the bathroom, what is she given instead?
8. Why does Artkin kill Raymond?
9. Why doesn't Raymond fall asleep?
10. When the assault happens, what does Miro do?
Essay Topic 1
How has the General's actions caused Ben to commit suicide?
How could the General have prevented the death of his son?
Essay Topic 2
What American rites of passage are present or mentioned in this novel?
What characters are forced to go through these?
How might these rites of passage differ from ones that Miro was forced to live through.
Essay Topic 3
Kate, Ben, and Raymond are all but in a very dangerous situation in which there is little hope and a large amount of doubt.
How do characters deal with doubt in the novel?
What do they look to in order to carry themselves through the difficult situations they have been put in?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)