|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Early in the morning what does Miro wait for?
2. How many people will work to hijack the bus?
3. What does Kate hope she can do to save the day?
4. In this section, what does the reader begin to understand about Ben's story?
5. Why is Miro surprised when he meets the driver?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the terrorists take the children?
2. What do the terrorists hope to gain from the negotiations?
3. When Ben's father arrives at Ben's dorm, what do the two men do?
4. What is Ben very eager to do?
5. Why does Kate get nervous about having the responsibility of saving the children that are on the bus?
6. Where did Ben fall in love with Nettie Haversham?
7. What type of life did Ben lead while he was growing up?
8. Why doesn't Raymond fall asleep?
9. As the novel begins, what is Ben Marchand waiting for?
10. What does Ben remember about the morning of the hijacking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kate, Ben, and Raymond are all but in a very dangerous situation in which there is little hope and a large amount of doubt.
How do characters deal with doubt in the novel?
What do they look to in order to carry themselves through the difficult situations they have been put in?
Essay Topic 2
Ben's character is used to show several themes throughout the story. He is an innocent young man that is used by his father and others to get what they want.
Through Ben's character, what themes are explored by the author?
Which theme is the most prevalent throughout the story.
Essay Topic 3
What American rites of passage are present or mentioned in this novel?
What characters are forced to go through these?
How might these rites of passage differ from ones that Miro was forced to live through.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)