|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Seventies, what was a common occurrence in America?
2. What does Ben realize as he types his story?
3. Where is the bus taken?
4. What is a third thing the terrorists hope to gain from the hijacking?
5. What is Ben very eager to find?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader begin to understand about Miro as the events of the novel play out?
2. What type of life did Ben lead while he was growing up?
3. What do the terrorists hope to gain from the negotiations?
4. What does Kate hope for when she hears the helicopters overhead?
5. As the novel begins, what is Ben Marchand waiting for?
6. What do the events of the novel show to the reader?
7. When was the first time that Ben had learned about Inner Delta?
8. Why is Miro excited about finally getting to participate with Artkin's plans?
9. What is Ben very eager to do?
10. What does Ben remember about the morning of the hijacking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cruelty is another major theme in the novel. How do the following characters, act cruelly towards another human being?
- The General
Essay Topic 2
Two thirds of the way through the novel, the author begins to focus on two relationships. When it is revealed that Artkin in Miro's father, the author shifts the reader's attention to their apparent father/son relationship. Compare this relationship to Ben and the General.
Essay Topic 3
Ben yearns for love but is unable to find it with Nettie.
Is this because he is not ready to love? Or has he not had enough life experiences to find this type of love.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)