|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kate gain by Raymond's deception?
2. What does Ben Marchand seem to carry around with him?
3. What did the hijackers want to do with Inner Delta?
4. What is the General's name when he is doing Inner Delta business?
5. Where did Ben grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the terrorists get all the children to fall asleep?
2. What does the reader realize as the narration of the novel continues?
3. What was the General in charge of while he worked at Forte Delta?
4. What type of life did Ben lead while he was growing up?
5. Where did Ben fall in love with Nettie Haversham?
6. What does the reader begin to understand about Miro as the events of the novel play out?
7. When Ben's father arrives at Ben's dorm, what do the two men do?
8. Why is Miro excited about finally getting to participate with Artkin's plans?
9. When Kate asks to take all of the children to the bathroom, what is she given instead?
10. When Artkin summons Miro, what does he tell him about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the ending of the novel and then discuss how the ending of the novel tragic and unfair.
What is an alternate ending you would have liked to see for the story?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Kate's character. Consider the following questions:
- What is the purpose of Kate's character?
- How does she attempt to use her own sexuality to free herself and the children?
Essay Topic 3
It seems as though the author is constantly trying to compare the lives of the three main characters. What themes does the author seem to emphasize with Kate, Ben, and Miro?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)