|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the terrorists dispose of the dead body?
2. What does Miro and Artkin's relationship resemble?
3. According to Artkin, what will promote their cause?
4. As Chapter 5 begins, what does Ben hope he can gain from his father?
5. Why is Miro anxious about the hijacking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author choose to pick the 1970s for the setting of the novel?
2. What does the reader begin to understand about Miro as the events of the novel play out?
3. According to Ben's father, what do the terrorists want?
4. Why doesn't Raymond fall asleep?
5. How do events begin to take a turn for the worse?
6. Why is Miro excited for this day?
7. What does Ben remember about the morning of the hijacking?
8. When Kate asks to take all of the children to the bathroom, what is she given instead?
9. When Kate is using the bathroom, what does she find?
10. As the novel begins, what is Ben Marchand waiting for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Kate's character. Consider the following questions:
- What is the purpose of Kate's character?
- How does she attempt to use her own sexuality to free herself and the children?
Essay Topic 2
What qualities do Artkin and Miro share with one another? Are they typical father and son similarities
How has Artkin trained Miro to become a terrorist and how does Miro fight the urge to become a terrorist?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in the novel feel regret over their past actions.
Examine the motives and actions of the following characters. If they regretted any of their actions, describe it:
- The General
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)