|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The hijackers give the children candy, but what is wrong with it?
2. When was the first time that Ben had ever heard of the Inner Delta?
3. Where does Ben recall falling in love?
4. What has Miro never seen?
5. Why does Miro think it is right for him to commit murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader immediately pick up on between Ben and his family?
2. What was the General in charge of while he worked at Forte Delta?
3. Where did Ben fall in love with Nettie Haversham?
4. Why is Miro excited about finally getting to participate with Artkin's plans?
5. What does Ben remember about the morning of the hijacking?
6. What do the terrorists hope to gain from the negotiations?
7. When Kate is using the bathroom, what does she find?
8. As Part 3 begins, what is Ben hoping happens?
9. What does the reader realize as the narration of the novel continues?
10. When Kate asks to take all of the children to the bathroom, what is she given instead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What American rites of passage are present or mentioned in this novel?
What characters are forced to go through these?
How might these rites of passage differ from ones that Miro was forced to live through.
Essay Topic 2
Ben yearns for love but is unable to find it with Nettie.
Is this because he is not ready to love? Or has he not had enough life experiences to find this type of love.
Essay Topic 3
What qualities do Artkin and Miro share with one another? Are they typical father and son similarities
How has Artkin trained Miro to become a terrorist and how does Miro fight the urge to become a terrorist?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)