|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a second thing the terrorists hope to gain from the hijacking?
2. In what time period is the novel set?
3. Why is Miro anxious about the hijacking?
4. To what group does his father belong?
5. What is Miro eager for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kate get nervous about having the responsibility of saving the children that are on the bus?
2. What does the reader realize as the narration of the novel continues?
3. When was the first time that Ben had learned about Inner Delta?
4. What does Ben remember about the morning of the hijacking?
5. How do the terrorists get all the children to fall asleep?
6. As Part 3 begins, what is Ben hoping happens?
7. What does Kate discover about Miro?
8. Why is Miro excited for this day?
9. As the novel begins, what is Ben Marchand waiting for?
10. What type of life did Ben lead while he was growing up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is foreshadowing a device that Cormier uses throughout his novel?
If so, what characters, or section of the novel does he choose to use this device in.
Give 3 instances of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the ending of the novel and then discuss how the ending of the novel tragic and unfair.
What is an alternate ending you would have liked to see for the story?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in the novel feel regret over their past actions.
Examine the motives and actions of the following characters. If they regretted any of their actions, describe it:
- The General
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)