|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the bus driver's name?
2. What is the General's name when he is doing Inner Delta business?
3. What did the hijackers want to do with Inner Delta?
4. On what continent does the beginning of the novel take place?
5. What is a third thing the terrorists hope to gain from the hijacking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author choose to pick the 1970s for the setting of the novel?
2. Where do the terrorists take the children?
3. When Kate asks to take all of the children to the bathroom, what is she given instead?
4. What does the reader begin to understand about Miro as the events of the novel play out?
5. When was the first time that Ben had learned about Inner Delta?
6. As the novel begins, what is Ben Marchand waiting for?
7. What does the reader immediately pick up on between Ben and his family?
8. Why doesn't Raymond fall asleep?
9. What is different about Miro and Ben?
10. Why is Miro excited for this day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems as though the author is constantly trying to compare the lives of the three main characters. What themes does the author seem to emphasize with Kate, Ben, and Miro?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the ending of the novel and then discuss how the ending of the novel tragic and unfair.
What is an alternate ending you would have liked to see for the story?
Essay Topic 3
How has the General's actions caused Ben to commit suicide?
How could the General have prevented the death of his son?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)