|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does the author provide some kind of closure for Kate's character and her family?
(a) No, the reader never knows what Kate's family thinks.
(b) Yes. Kate's life is explored in a different section of the novel.
(c) Yes. The author describes Kate's funeral.
(d) No. Kate is never avenged.
2. What does the General know about Ben?
(a) He knew Ben would be tortured.
(b) Ben would be a coward.
(c) That Ben would do anything for him.
(d) He knew Ben would make him proud.
3. While everything happens, what happens to the helicopter?
(a) It crashes into the van.
(b) It crashes into the river.
(c) It explodes from a bomb.
(d) It keeps flying away.
4. Once Kate finally starts the bus, what happens?
(a) The children wake up.
(b) The terrorists do not notice.
(c) She starts to drive it away.
(d) She has problems turning it on.
5. What does the leader learn about Ben?
(a) He has moved on with his life.
(b) He is going to college.
(c) Ben has hoped he and his father could soon become close.
(d) He has been filled with guilt over giving up information about the
6. Why is the General leading this new life?
(a) Because his wife left him.
(b) Because of his horrible decision to use his son for the military.
(c) He wanted a new start to life.
(d) He wants a new wife.
7. What were Washington's orders for the General on the morning of the hijacking?
(a) To bomb the entire hostage camp.
(b) To send Ben as the messenger.
(c) To send the General into see the hostages.
(d) To leave Ben out of the hijacking situations.
8. Because the van was wire tapped, what was the General forced to listen to?
(a) His son giving him up.
(b) The terrorists demands.
(c) The screams of children.
(d) His son being tortured.
9. Does Miro accept Kate's apology?
(a) He seems to accept it because he talks to her again.
(b) No, he understands that she is just using him to get free.
(c) Yes, because he wants to be with her.
(d) No, because she seems to be sad.
10. How long does Ben have to stay stationed?
(a) For a week.
(b) Until the negotiations were complete.
(c) For a day.
(d) Until his father came to get him.
11. Where does Miro decide to take Kate?
(a) He escapes in the bus and goes to an abandoned highway.
(b) He takes her to the woods.
(c) To an abandonned warehouse.
(d) To a lakehouse.
12. What is ironic about Miro's escape?
(a) Miro never escapes.
(b) Miro is captured by the US government after he escapes.
(c) The person who caused all the devastation, goes unharmed.
(d) Miro is injured as he escapes.
13. Why does she think the terrorists will be able to kill her?
(a) The bus stalls and they capture her.
(b) The terrorists are taking aim at the bus as it stalls.
(c) They begin running after the bus.
(d) The bus falls into a ditch.
14. Why does Kate finally encourage Raymond to eat the candy?
(a) Raymond needs food, so he has to eat the candy.
(b) She does not wish for Raymond to get hurt by the terrorists.
(c) Because the terrorists realize he is more lucid than other children.
(d) Because she wants him to get some rest.
15. How do the terrorists react to this death?
(a) They kill Raymond.
(b) They kill Ben.
(c) They kill Kate.
(d) They kill Miro.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the reader begin to wonder about Ben?
2. How does Artkin have proof of Sedeete's capture?
3. Who does Artkin shoot as he falls down?
4. What does he hope to do now that the mission is over?
5. Does the reader ever really learn about Ben's mother?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)