|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Annie so interested in the things that Ruth shows her?
2. How many siblings does Annie have?
3. What is the name of the performance that Uncle Paul and Annie view together?
4. What happens when Uncle Paul visits one evening and Mrs. Metcalf is gone?
5. How does Annie's mother react to what she sees at the train station?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Annie, her family, and Ruth feel about the new war monument?
2. What is Bible School?
3. How does Annie feel about her visit to St. John's?
4. Why is Annie so bothered by the wounded soldiers she saw at the train station?
5. Why do you think Annie decides to go back to St. John's?
6. Describe the soldier Annie meets at the hospital during her first visit to St. John's.
7. When Annie and her parents got home, why did Annie not run and hug her father like her cousins did?
8. Why does Annie have to help her Grandfather get off the trolley when she visits St. John's for a second time?
9. Who is Timothy Lewis?
10. What keeps Mrs. Metcalf so busy that Annie has learned to play alone or to spend time at her grandparents' home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grandfather and Grandmother have very different reactions to Paul's death. Write how their reactions differed when they first heard the news. List examples of other times when the author shows how differently they are coping with Uncle Paul's death. Explain why they might have different ways of coping. Do you think one method of dealing with Paul's death is better than another? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, Annie's parents both brush away her fears about the wounded soldiers. Later, Annie will accuse her father of lying to her. Why do you think Annie's parents don't tell her the truth? Why do you think Annie's mother did not want Annie to worry about the soldiers? Why do you think Annie's father did not want her to worry about the soldiers?
Essay Topic 3
Annie has changed since her father left home and she will continue to change and grow up during the course of the novel. Describe the changes in Annie. Provide examples of how she changes, especially in the way she thinks about life and how she relates to her parents.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)