Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Frances and Charlie?
2. Annie runs away from one of the patients on her first visit to St. John's. Why does she go back?
3. After their first dinner together with father and their guests leave, what do the Metcalfs do together?
4. Why doesn't Annie enjoy the fireworks on the Fourth of July?
5. Which army used the agent that injured the soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Annie and Emily put their differences behind them after Grandfather's heart attack?
2. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
3. When Annie and her parents got home, why did Annie not run and hug her father like her cousins did?
4. Why does Annie have to help her Grandfather get off the trolley when she visits St. John's for a second time?
5. Why do you think Andrew gave Annie his Purple Heart?
6. What do Mrs. Metcalf and Annie find unfair about everything that has happened concerning Uncle Paul's death and how he died?
7. How were many soldiers burned?
8. Do you think Annie was right to disobey her mother and visit St. John's again?
9. Describe the two groups of soldiers that get off the train when Dr. Metcalf arrives.
10. How was Andrew injured?
Essay Topic 1
A war memorial is being built to honor the soldiers who gave their lives in the war. There is no memorial being planned for those who have been wounded. Why do you think only the soldiers who died are being honored? Do you think the wounded men would appreciate being included on the memorial? Why or why not? Present reasons why the wounded men also should be honored for their sacrifices.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the author uses foreshadowing regarding Uncle Paul's death. List examples of where the author uses foreshadowing to make you question the circumstances behind his death.
Essay Topic 3
After her mother leaves for Colorado, Annie deliberately disobeys her mother and continues to visit St. John's. Describe the struggle Annie has with her conscience as she lies to both her parents. Include examples that show her struggle. Do you think the good that Annie was doing excused the fact that she was disobeying her mother?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)