|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character?
2. What did Annie's grandmother do when she heard that her son had died?
3. Who takes Annie to St. John's the first time she visits?
4. What does Annie's Sunday School teacher find disgusting?
5. What does Annie do when her mother is working or playing the piano?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were many soldiers burned?
2. In Chapter 3, why is Annie almost glad that her father is up and gone when she gets up in the morning?
3. Why does Annie become angry with Miss Peterson and Emily?
4. Describe Mrs. Metcalf's friends.
5. Describe the two groups of soldiers that get off the train when Dr. Metcalf arrives.
6. Why does Annie think she knows how much her mother missed Dr. Metcalf?
7. In Chapter 10, why is Annie angry with her mother?
8. Describe Dr. Metcalf's appearance the day after he returns home.
9. Why is Annie so bothered by the wounded soldiers she saw at the train station?
10. What two events drew Annie and her Uncle Paul closer together? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the characters deal with several internal and external struggles. Provide examples of these struggles and explain how they are resolved at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, Annie is troubled by the wounded soldiers she sees at the train station. Throughout the novel, she struggles with mixed feelings about the wounded men. Annie's mother is even more disturbed by the wounded men. Explore whether Mrs. Metcalf's attitude toward the war and the wounded soldiers influenced Annie. Did Mrs. Metcalf's refusal to discuss the men make Annie determined to prove her mother wrong? Does Mrs. Metcalf's declaration that Annie will be bothered by the men give Annie the courage to face the men and show her mother how strong she is? Explore reasons why Mrs. Metcalf's attitude may have given Annie the strength to face the men and think for herself.
Essay Topic 3
The Purple Heart is one of the highest honors that a soldier can receive. Describe how Andrew feels about his Purple Heart. List examples from the novel that show Andrew's feelings about the medal. How do you think other soldiers at the hospital feel about their medals? Explore why they might feel that way.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)