|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Annie returns from the Sunday School outing, what does she tell her parents?
2. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's after her second visit, what behavior bothers her and her grandfather?
3. The first Saturday after her father arrives, Annie's father is already awake and gone. Why is Annie almost glad he isn't home?
4. After Dr. Metcalf arrives on the train, who drives home from the station?
5. What book is Grandfather reading to the soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Annie's feelings as she goes to meet her father at the train station.
2. Describe Dr. Metcalf's appearance the day after he returns home.
3. Why doesn't Annie's mother want her to visit St. John's?
4. Why does Annie think she knows how much her mother missed Dr. Metcalf?
5. Why does Annie wish to visit St. John's?
6. What are Annie's activities when summer comes?
7. What did Dr. Metcalf tell Annie before he left home nearly two years ago?
8. How did Annie's grandparents react when they learned that Uncle Paul had died?
9. In Chapter 10, why is Annie angry with her mother?
10. Why do you think Andrew wants to see pictures of France?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Metcalf's attitudes change over the course of the novel. Describe her feelings at the beginning of the novel. List examples that show how she changes. Especially compare her attitude toward Andrew at the beginning and at the end of the novel. Explain why you think her attitude changes.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Paul and Andrew. Write about their differences and similarities. How would the novel have been different if Uncle Paul had been wounded instead of killed?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the characters deal with several internal and external struggles. Provide examples of these struggles and explain how they are resolved at the end of the novel.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)