|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, who says "I hope I never have to go out there. From what I hear, those fellows aren't very pretty"?
2. When Annie's grandfather visits St. John's, what does he do?
3. On the way home from the train station, what day does Annie remember?
4. What did Annie's grandmother do when she heard that her son had died?
5. Why is Annie nervous about seeing her father again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Annie so bothered by the wounded soldiers she saw at the train station?
2. Why doesn't Annie's mother want her to visit St. John's?
3. Describe Annie's feelings as she goes to meet her father at the train station.
4. Why is Annie so disturbed when Father and Grandfather look at Uncle Paul's motorcycle?
5. How does Annie feel about her visit to St. John's?
6. How did Annie and her mother get along while Dr. Metcalf was gone?
7. Why did Uncle Paul visit Annie's mother frequently?
8. Describe Mrs. Metcalf's friends.
9. Why do you think Andrew wants to see pictures of France?
10. Describe the two groups of soldiers that get off the train when Dr. Metcalf arrives.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grandfather and Grandmother have very different reactions to Paul's death. Write how their reactions differed when they first heard the news. List examples of other times when the author shows how differently they are coping with Uncle Paul's death. Explain why they might have different ways of coping. Do you think one method of dealing with Paul's death is better than another? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the author uses foreshadowing regarding Uncle Paul's death. List examples of where the author uses foreshadowing to make you question the circumstances behind his death.
Essay Topic 3
Andrew enlists in the war voluntarily. As the son of a farmer, he could have stayed home. If Andrew could turn back the clock, do you think he would decide not to enlist? Do you think he is the type of person that would have felt he needed to serve regardless of the cost?Explain why or why not he would choose to enlist if he knew he would be horribly injured.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)