|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the grownups that greet Annie and her parents when they arrive home from the train station?
2. Why does Andrew not say goodbye to Annie as she leaves after visiting the hospital for a second time?
3. Why doesn't Annie enjoy the fireworks on the Fourth of July?
4. When Annie visits St. John's again, what does she bring to share?
5. Why does Annie sometimes feel shut out of her mother's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ruth Sylvester.
2. What did Dr. Metcalf tell Annie before he left home nearly two years ago?
3. How do Annie, her family, and Ruth feel about the new war monument?
4. What two events drew Annie and her Uncle Paul closer together? Why?
5. Why doesn't Annie's mother want her to visit St. John's?
6. Why, if the war ended last year, does the newspaper run an article about a peace treaty?
7. How did Annie and her mother get along while Dr. Metcalf was gone?
8. Who is Timothy Lewis?
9. Why did Uncle Paul visit Annie's mother frequently?
10. Why does Annie think she knows how much her mother missed Dr. Metcalf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, Annie is troubled by the wounded soldiers she sees at the train station. Throughout the novel, she struggles with mixed feelings about the wounded men. Annie's mother is even more disturbed by the wounded men. Explore whether Mrs. Metcalf's attitude toward the war and the wounded soldiers influenced Annie. Did Mrs. Metcalf's refusal to discuss the men make Annie determined to prove her mother wrong? Does Mrs. Metcalf's declaration that Annie will be bothered by the men give Annie the courage to face the men and show her mother how strong she is? Explore reasons why Mrs. Metcalf's attitude may have given Annie the strength to face the men and think for herself.
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Metcalf's attitudes change over the course of the novel. Describe her feelings at the beginning of the novel. List examples that show how she changes. Especially compare her attitude toward Andrew at the beginning and at the end of the novel. Explain why you think her attitude changes.
Essay Topic 3
Andrew enlists in the war voluntarily. As the son of a farmer, he could have stayed home. If Andrew could turn back the clock, do you think he would decide not to enlist? Do you think he is the type of person that would have felt he needed to serve regardless of the cost?Explain why or why not he would choose to enlist if he knew he would be horribly injured.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)