|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Annie sometimes feel shut out of her mother's life?
2. What do Annie and her grandfather discuss when they play checkers?
3. Why does Annie's mother often leave the room when Annie's father talks about his work?
4. What did Annie and her mother talk about during her father's absence?
5. When Annie visits St. John's again, what does she bring to share?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Uncle Paul visit Annie's mother frequently?
2. How did Annie and her mother get along while Dr. Metcalf was gone?
3. Describe Annie's thoughts when the boy delivered the telegram telling them that Uncle Paul had died.
4. Why is Annie so disturbed when Father and Grandfather look at Uncle Paul's motorcycle?
5. What two events drew Annie and her Uncle Paul closer together? Why?
6. What is Bible School?
7. Describe the two groups of soldiers that get off the train when Dr. Metcalf arrives.
8. How do Annie, her family, and Ruth feel about the new war monument?
9. Describe Mrs. Metcalf's friends.
10. When Annie and her parents got home, why did Annie not run and hug her father like her cousins did?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Paul and Andrew. Write about their differences and similarities. How would the novel have been different if Uncle Paul had been wounded instead of killed?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, Annie's parents both brush away her fears about the wounded soldiers. Later, Annie will accuse her father of lying to her. Why do you think Annie's parents don't tell her the truth? Why do you think Annie's mother did not want Annie to worry about the soldiers? Why do you think Annie's father did not want her to worry about the soldiers?
Essay Topic 3
Annie's parents don't always agree. Write how they work out their differences. List specific examples of times when they disagree and how they come to an agreement.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)