|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie's father want to discuss after dinner the day Annie visits St. John's for the first time?
2. When Annie's grandfather visits St. John's, what does he do?
3. Annie is meeting her father at the station. Who else would Annie like to be meeting at the train station?
4. Wounded soldiers arrive on the same train with Dr. Metcalf. Where are they going?
5. What do Annie and her grandfather discuss when they play checkers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the soldier Annie meets at the hospital during her first visit to St. John's.
2. Who is Timothy Lewis?
3. How did Annie and her mother get along while Dr. Metcalf was gone?
4. Why does Annie have to help her Grandfather get off the trolley when she visits St. John's for a second time?
5. What two events drew Annie and her Uncle Paul closer together? Why?
6. How do Annie, her family, and Ruth feel about the new war monument?
7. Describe the two groups of soldiers that get off the train when Dr. Metcalf arrives.
8. Why, if the war ended last year, does the newspaper run an article about a peace treaty?
9. Why does Annie become angry with Miss Peterson and Emily?
10. Why doesn't Annie's mother want her to visit St. John's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the song lyrics that are included at the beginning of the novel? Why do you think the author chose a line from that song for the title of the book? Find and write about scenes from the book that relate to the song.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, Annie's parents both brush away her fears about the wounded soldiers. Later, Annie will accuse her father of lying to her. Why do you think Annie's parents don't tell her the truth? Why do you think Annie's mother did not want Annie to worry about the soldiers? Why do you think Annie's father did not want her to worry about the soldiers?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Metcalf's attitudes change over the course of the novel. Describe her feelings at the beginning of the novel. List examples that show how she changes. Especially compare her attitude toward Andrew at the beginning and at the end of the novel. Explain why you think her attitude changes.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)