|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Annie's grandfather do when he heard his son had died?
2. When Annie and Mrs. Metcalf talk over breakfast the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home, what does Annie's mother say about what they saw at the train station?
3. What does Annie's father want to discuss after dinner the day Annie visits St. John's for the first time?
4. After Dr. Metcalf arrives on the train, who drives home from the station?
5. Who are Frances and Charlie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Timothy Lewis?
2. Describe Annie's feelings as she goes to meet her father at the train station.
3. In Chapter 10, why is Annie angry with her mother?
4. What is Bible School?
5. How did Annie's grandparents react when they learned that Uncle Paul had died?
6. Why, if the war ended last year, does the newspaper run an article about a peace treaty?
7. Describe Ruth Sylvester.
8. What did Dr. Metcalf tell Annie before he left home nearly two years ago?
9. Why is Annie so disturbed when Father and Grandfather look at Uncle Paul's motorcycle?
10. In Chapter 3, why is Annie almost glad that her father is up and gone when she gets up in the morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how Ruth, Dr. Metcalf, Mrs. Metcalf, and Grandmother feel about the war memorial. Contrast their reactions and explain why the characters like or dislike the memorial. Explain what circumstances in their lives might have caused them to develop these opinions.
Essay Topic 2
After her mother leaves for Colorado, Annie deliberately disobeys her mother and continues to visit St. John's. Describe the struggle Annie has with her conscience as she lies to both her parents. Include examples that show her struggle. Do you think the good that Annie was doing excused the fact that she was disobeying her mother?
Essay Topic 3
Miss Peterson, Emily, a trolley conductor, and even Mrs. Metcalf wish to forget the war and forget the men wounded in the war. Why do you think they don't honor the men for the sacrifices they made? Explain the reasons why the different characters might feel that way. Especially focus on the reasons why Mrs. Metcalf doesn't want to discuss the war. Did Mrs. Metcalf always hate the war? Why or why not?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)