|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first time Annie visits the hospital, who gives her a tour?
2. The first Saturday after her father arrives, Annie's father is already awake and gone. Why is Annie almost glad he isn't home?
3. The newspaper is on the steps when Annie returns home from the Sunday School outing. What is the front page headline?
4. How has Annie's grandmother changed since Uncle Paul died?
5. Annie is meeting her father at the station. Who else would Annie like to be meeting at the train station?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Annie and her mother get along while Dr. Metcalf was gone?
2. Why does Annie become angry with Miss Peterson and Emily?
3. What two events drew Annie and her Uncle Paul closer together? Why?
4. In Chapter 3, why is Annie almost glad that her father is up and gone when she gets up in the morning?
5. What keeps Mrs. Metcalf so busy that Annie has learned to play alone or to spend time at her grandparents' home?
6. Why did Uncle Paul visit Annie's mother frequently?
7. What is Bible School?
8. Why do you think Andrew wants to see pictures of France?
9. Why does Annie wish to visit St. John's?
10. Why does Annie have to help her Grandfather get off the trolley when she visits St. John's for a second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the first time Annie sees Andrew at the train station to her encounters with him at the hospital, she struggles with her natural reaction to turn away and her desire to be kind. Write about Annie's encounters with Andrew and explain why you think she is finally able to become friends with Andrew.
Essay Topic 2
Explore how the different characters react to Paul's death. Are the reactions of the various characters typical of what you would expect based on their relationship to Paul? Would you expect Grandmother to react more strongly than Annie? Compare the reactions of the different characters.
Essay Topic 3
Andrew enlists in the war voluntarily. As the son of a farmer, he could have stayed home. If Andrew could turn back the clock, do you think he would decide not to enlist? Do you think he is the type of person that would have felt he needed to serve regardless of the cost?Explain why or why not he would choose to enlist if he knew he would be horribly injured.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)