|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Mrs. Metcalf's second group of friends?
2. Annie runs away from one of the patients on her first visit to St. John's. Why does she go back?
3. How were most of the burned soldiers injured?
4. What book is Grandfather reading to the soldiers?
5. Who has dinner almost ready when the Metcalfs arrive home from the train station?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Timothy Lewis?
2. Describe Annie's thoughts when the boy delivered the telegram telling them that Uncle Paul had died.
3. In Chapter 3, why is Annie almost glad that her father is up and gone when she gets up in the morning?
4. When Annie and her parents got home, why did Annie not run and hug her father like her cousins did?
5. Describe Dr. Metcalf's appearance the day after he returns home.
6. How does Annie feel about her visit to St. John's?
7. How do Annie, her family, and Ruth feel about the new war monument?
8. Why does Annie think she knows how much her mother missed Dr. Metcalf?
9. Describe the soldier Annie meets at the hospital during her first visit to St. John's.
10. Why doesn't Annie's mother want her to visit St. John's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Ruth is not a major character, she plays an important role in the novel. How would the story have been different if she was not a part of the story? List scenes from the book where she influenced other characters and has an impact on decisions they make.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, Annie is troubled by the wounded soldiers she sees at the train station. Throughout the novel, she struggles with mixed feelings about the wounded men. Annie's mother is even more disturbed by the wounded men. Explore whether Mrs. Metcalf's attitude toward the war and the wounded soldiers influenced Annie. Did Mrs. Metcalf's refusal to discuss the men make Annie determined to prove her mother wrong? Does Mrs. Metcalf's declaration that Annie will be bothered by the men give Annie the courage to face the men and show her mother how strong she is? Explore reasons why Mrs. Metcalf's attitude may have given Annie the strength to face the men and think for herself.
Essay Topic 3
Andrew enlists in the war voluntarily. As the son of a farmer, he could have stayed home. If Andrew could turn back the clock, do you think he would decide not to enlist? Do you think he is the type of person that would have felt he needed to serve regardless of the cost?Explain why or why not he would choose to enlist if he knew he would be horribly injured.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)