|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Annie sometimes feel shut out of her mother's life?
2. When does Chapter 3 take place?
3. Who has dinner almost ready when the Metcalfs arrive home from the train station?
4. What do Annie and her grandfather discuss when they play checkers?
5. When Miss Peterson makes insensitive comments during the Sunday School class outing, who does Annie defend?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
2. How do Annie and Emily put their differences behind them after Grandfather's heart attack?
3. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
4. Grandfather has had a heart attack. How is Grandfather doing and what is the plan to help him get well?
5. Why do you think Andrew wants to see pictures of France?
6. Why doesn't starting high school scare Annie?
7. Why doesn't Annie go to Colorado?
8. Why, if the war ended last year, does the newspaper run an article about a peace treaty?
9. What advice does Grandfather give Annie in Chapter 28?
10. Why do you think Henry Cook told Annie to stop asking questions about her uncle's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how Ruth, Dr. Metcalf, Mrs. Metcalf, and Grandmother feel about the war memorial. Contrast their reactions and explain why the characters like or dislike the memorial. Explain what circumstances in their lives might have caused them to develop these opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Annie's parents don't always agree. Write how they work out their differences. List specific examples of times when they disagree and how they come to an agreement.
Essay Topic 3
Although Ruth is not a major character, she plays an important role in the novel. How would the story have been different if she was not a part of the story? List scenes from the book where she influenced other characters and has an impact on decisions they make.
This section contains 1,932 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)