|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wounded soldiers arrive on the same train with Dr. Metcalf. Where are they going?
2. How do Annie and her grandfather get to St. John's when Annie returns for a second visit?
3. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's after her second visit, what behavior bothers her and her grandfather?
4. What happens when Uncle Paul visits one evening and Mrs. Metcalf is gone?
5. Why is Annie nervous about seeing her father again?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
2. Who is Timothy Lewis?
3. Why do you think Henry Cook told Annie to stop asking questions about her uncle's death?
4. How did Annie and her mother get along while Dr. Metcalf was gone?
5. Why doesn't starting high school scare Annie?
6. What advice does Grandfather give Annie in Chapter 28?
7. What two events drew Annie and her Uncle Paul closer together? Why?
8. What are Annie's activities when summer comes?
9. Why are Dr. and Mrs. Metcalf angry when they discuss Annie's visits to St. John's?
10. What did Dr. Metcalf tell Annie before he left home nearly two years ago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Annie has changed since her father left home and she will continue to change and grow up during the course of the novel. Describe the changes in Annie. Provide examples of how she changes, especially in the way she thinks about life and how she relates to her parents.
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Metcalf's attitudes change over the course of the novel. Describe her feelings at the beginning of the novel. List examples that show how she changes. Especially compare her attitude toward Andrew at the beginning and at the end of the novel. Explain why you think her attitude changes.
Essay Topic 3
After her mother leaves for Colorado, Annie deliberately disobeys her mother and continues to visit St. John's. Describe the struggle Annie has with her conscience as she lies to both her parents. Include examples that show her struggle. Do you think the good that Annie was doing excused the fact that she was disobeying her mother?
This section contains 1,941 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)