|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Annie spend a lot of time alone now that it is summer?
2. What does Annie do when her mother is working or playing the piano?
3. How were most of the burned soldiers injured?
4. What is Annie's mother's name?
5. After Dr. Metcalf arrives on the train, who drives home from the station?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Annie and her parents got home, why did Annie not run and hug her father like her cousins did?
2. What did Dr. Metcalf tell Annie before he left home nearly two years ago?
3. How does Annie feel about her visit to St. John's?
4. What keeps Mrs. Metcalf so busy that Annie has learned to play alone or to spend time at her grandparents' home?
5. What are Annie's activities when summer comes?
6. Describe Annie's thoughts when the boy delivered the telegram telling them that Uncle Paul had died.
7. Why does Annie have to help her Grandfather get off the trolley when she visits St. John's for a second time?
8. Who is Timothy Lewis?
9. How did Annie and her mother get along while Dr. Metcalf was gone?
10. Why do you think Annie decides to go back to St. John's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore how the different characters react to Paul's death. Are the reactions of the various characters typical of what you would expect based on their relationship to Paul? Would you expect Grandmother to react more strongly than Annie? Compare the reactions of the different characters.
Essay Topic 2
The Purple Heart is one of the highest honors that a soldier can receive. Describe how Andrew feels about his Purple Heart. List examples from the novel that show Andrew's feelings about the medal. How do you think other soldiers at the hospital feel about their medals? Explore why they might feel that way.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Paul and Andrew. Write about their differences and similarities. How would the novel have been different if Uncle Paul had been wounded instead of killed?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)