|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Mrs. Metcalf's first group of friends?
2. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does Annie discuss with one of the patients?
3. How does Annie's mother react to what she sees at the train station?
4. When does Chapter 3 take place?
5. Why doesn't Annie enjoy the fireworks on the Fourth of July?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Annie run when she learn how Uncle Paul died?
2. Why does Annie have to help her Grandfather get off the trolley when she visits St. John's for a second time?
3. What advice does Grandfather give Annie in Chapter 28?
4. The evening Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening, what makes Annie's father realize how much she has grown since he has been gone?
5. Why are Dr. and Mrs. Metcalf angry when they discuss Annie's visits to St. John's?
6. How do Annie, her family, and Ruth feel about the new war monument?
7. Why, if the war ended last year, does the newspaper run an article about a peace treaty?
8. Why doesn't Annie go to Colorado?
9. In Chapter 3, why is Annie almost glad that her father is up and gone when she gets up in the morning?
10. Why do you think Andrew gave Annie his Purple Heart?
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the song lyrics that are included at the beginning of the novel? Why do you think the author chose a line from that song for the title of the book? Find and write about scenes from the book that relate to the song.
Essay Topic 2
Miss Peterson, Emily, a trolley conductor, and even Mrs. Metcalf wish to forget the war and forget the men wounded in the war. Why do you think they don't honor the men for the sacrifices they made? Explain the reasons why the different characters might feel that way. Especially focus on the reasons why Mrs. Metcalf doesn't want to discuss the war. Did Mrs. Metcalf always hate the war? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Paul and Andrew. Write about their differences and similarities. How would the novel have been different if Uncle Paul had been wounded instead of killed?
This section contains 1,999 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)