|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, who says "I hope I never have to go out there. From what I hear, those fellows aren't very pretty"?
2. Why does Annie sometimes feel shut out of her mother's life?
3. Where did Annie's father serve during the war?
4. On the way home from the train station, what day does Annie remember?
5. Who has Annie's grandfather been visiting at St. John's Hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Annie's mother want her to visit St. John's?
2. Why is Annie so bothered by the wounded soldiers she saw at the train station?
3. What two events drew Annie and her Uncle Paul closer together? Why?
4. How did Annie's grandparents react when they learned that Uncle Paul had died?
5. How did Lieutenant McFarland describe Uncle Paul and his death?
6. Why does Annie have to help her Grandfather get off the trolley when she visits St. John's for a second time?
7. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
8. Describe the two groups of soldiers that get off the train when Dr. Metcalf arrives.
9. What are Annie's activities when summer comes?
10. Grandfather visits St. John's for the first time since his heart attack. Why does Annie's mother drive Annie and Grandfather to St. John's?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Paul and Andrew. Write about their differences and similarities. How would the novel have been different if Uncle Paul had been wounded instead of killed?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Metcalf says that "all the treaties in the world won't end the war for [the soldiers]." What do you think Dr. Metcalf meant by that? List reasons why the war is not over for the wounded soldiers. Show incidents from the novel that show how the soldiers are still in a battle.
Essay Topic 3
After her mother leaves for Colorado, Annie deliberately disobeys her mother and continues to visit St. John's. Describe the struggle Annie has with her conscience as she lies to both her parents. Include examples that show her struggle. Do you think the good that Annie was doing excused the fact that she was disobeying her mother?
This section contains 1,905 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)