Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Frances and Charlie?
2. Annie runs away from one of the patients on her first visit to St. John's. Why does she go back?
3. After their first dinner together with father and their guests leave, what do the Metcalfs do together?
4. Why doesn't Annie enjoy the fireworks on the Fourth of July?
5. Which army used the agent that injured the soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Annie and Emily put their differences behind them after Grandfather's heart attack?
2. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
3. When Annie and her parents got home, why did Annie not run and hug her father like her cousins did?
4. Why does Annie have to help her Grandfather get off the trolley when she visits St. John's for a second time?
5. Why do you think Andrew gave Annie his Purple Heart?
6. What do Mrs. Metcalf and Annie find unfair about everything that has happened concerning Uncle Paul's death and how he died?
7. How were many soldiers burned?
8. Do you think Annie was right to disobey her mother and visit St. John's again?
9. Describe the two groups of soldiers that get off the train when Dr. Metcalf arrives.
10. How was Andrew injured?
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, Annie's parents both brush away her fears about the wounded soldiers. Later, Annie will accuse her father of lying to her. Why do you think Annie's parents don't tell her the truth? Why do you think Annie's mother did not want Annie to worry about the soldiers? Why do you think Annie's father did not want her to worry about the soldiers?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Metcalf says that "all the treaties in the world won't end the war for [the soldiers]." What do you think Dr. Metcalf meant by that? List reasons why the war is not over for the wounded soldiers. Show incidents from the novel that show how the soldiers are still in a battle.
Essay Topic 3
Explore how the different characters react to Paul's death. Are the reactions of the various characters typical of what you would expect based on their relationship to Paul? Would you expect Grandmother to react more strongly than Annie? Compare the reactions of the different characters.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)