|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the mayor's big announcement on the Fourth of July, why don't Father and Ruth want to see the plans?
2. Why, on her first visit to St. John's, does Annie run away when she meets a patient?
3. Who are Frances and Charlie?
4. What does Annie's father talk about in the evenings after work?
5. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does Annie's grandfather do while she talks to one of the patients?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the soldier Annie meets at the hospital during her first visit to St. John's.
2. In Chapter 10, why is Annie angry with her mother?
3. Why does Annie wish to visit St. John's?
4. Describe Ruth Sylvester.
5. Why doesn't Annie's mother want her to visit St. John's?
6. Why does Annie think she knows how much her mother missed Dr. Metcalf?
7. How did Annie and her mother get along while Dr. Metcalf was gone?
8. How do Annie, her family, and Ruth feel about the new war monument?
9. Describe the two groups of soldiers that get off the train when Dr. Metcalf arrives.
10. What is Bible School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Peterson, Emily, a trolley conductor, and even Mrs. Metcalf wish to forget the war and forget the men wounded in the war. Why do you think they don't honor the men for the sacrifices they made? Explain the reasons why the different characters might feel that way. Especially focus on the reasons why Mrs. Metcalf doesn't want to discuss the war. Did Mrs. Metcalf always hate the war? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Examine how Ruth, Dr. Metcalf, Mrs. Metcalf, and Grandmother feel about the war memorial. Contrast their reactions and explain why the characters like or dislike the memorial. Explain what circumstances in their lives might have caused them to develop these opinions.
Essay Topic 3
The Purple Heart is one of the highest honors that a soldier can receive. Describe how Andrew feels about his Purple Heart. List examples from the novel that show Andrew's feelings about the medal. How do you think other soldiers at the hospital feel about their medals? Explore why they might feel that way.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)