|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Annie's father work?
2. Why is Annie concerned about her grandfather as they begin the journey to go to St. John's for a second time?
3. Annie is meeting her father at the station. Who else would Annie like to be meeting at the train station?
4. When Annie and Mrs. Metcalf talk over breakfast the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home, what does Annie's mother say about what they saw at the train station?
5. The evening after the Sunday School outing, why does Grandfather ask Annie if she is scared?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Timothy Lewis?
2. Describe Ruth Sylvester.
3. What two events drew Annie and her Uncle Paul closer together? Why?
4. How did Annie and her mother get along while Dr. Metcalf was gone?
5. Describe Annie's thoughts when the boy delivered the telegram telling them that Uncle Paul had died.
6. Describe Mrs. Metcalf's friends.
7. Why do you think Annie decides to go back to St. John's?
8. Why do you think Andrew wants to see pictures of France?
9. Why does Annie wish to visit St. John's?
10. Why, if the war ended last year, does the newspaper run an article about a peace treaty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the characters deal with several internal and external struggles. Provide examples of these struggles and explain how they are resolved at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Annie has changed since her father left home and she will continue to change and grow up during the course of the novel. Describe the changes in Annie. Provide examples of how she changes, especially in the way she thinks about life and how she relates to her parents.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the author uses foreshadowing regarding Uncle Paul's death. List examples of where the author uses foreshadowing to make you question the circumstances behind his death.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)