|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wounded soldiers arrive on the same train with Dr. Metcalf. Where are they going?
2. Which army used the agent that injured the soldiers?
3. How did Annie and her mother get along while her father was gone?
4. Where does the Sunday School class go next?
5. What did Annie's grandfather do when he heard his son had died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two groups of soldiers that get off the train when Dr. Metcalf arrives.
2. Why is Annie so disturbed when Father and Grandfather look at Uncle Paul's motorcycle?
3. Why do you think Andrew wants to see pictures of France?
4. Why does Annie have to help her Grandfather get off the trolley when she visits St. John's for a second time?
5. What is Bible School?
6. Describe Annie's feelings as she goes to meet her father at the train station.
7. What two events drew Annie and her Uncle Paul closer together? Why?
8. Describe Annie's thoughts when the boy delivered the telegram telling them that Uncle Paul had died.
9. Why do you think Annie decides to go back to St. John's?
10. How were many soldiers burned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Annie's parents don't always agree. Write how they work out their differences. List specific examples of times when they disagree and how they come to an agreement.
Essay Topic 2
Grandfather and Grandmother have very different reactions to Paul's death. Write how their reactions differed when they first heard the news. List examples of other times when the author shows how differently they are coping with Uncle Paul's death. Explain why they might have different ways of coping. Do you think one method of dealing with Paul's death is better than another? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Metcalf says that "all the treaties in the world won't end the war for [the soldiers]." What do you think Dr. Metcalf meant by that? List reasons why the war is not over for the wounded soldiers. Show incidents from the novel that show how the soldiers are still in a battle.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)