|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Mrs. Metcalf's second group of friends?
2. When Miss Peterson makes insensitive comments during the Sunday School class outing, who does Annie defend?
3. Where does Uncle Paul invite Annie to go with him on one night in June?
4. What happens when Uncle Paul visits one evening and Mrs. Metcalf is gone?
5. Wounded soldiers arrive on the same train with Dr. Metcalf. Where are they going?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think it is so important to Annie that Uncle Paul get a Purple Heart?
2. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
3. Why doesn't Annie go to Colorado?
4. Describe Annie's thoughts when the boy delivered the telegram telling them that Uncle Paul had died.
5. Why does Annie think she knows how much her mother missed Dr. Metcalf?
6. Do you think Annie was right to disobey her mother and visit St. John's again?
7. Why does Annie run when she learn how Uncle Paul died?
8. Why, if the war ended last year, does the newspaper run an article about a peace treaty?
9. Why are Dr. and Mrs. Metcalf angry when they discuss Annie's visits to St. John's?
10. In Chapter 3, why is Annie almost glad that her father is up and gone when she gets up in the morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore how the different characters react to Paul's death. Are the reactions of the various characters typical of what you would expect based on their relationship to Paul? Would you expect Grandmother to react more strongly than Annie? Compare the reactions of the different characters.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Metcalf says that "all the treaties in the world won't end the war for [the soldiers]." What do you think Dr. Metcalf meant by that? List reasons why the war is not over for the wounded soldiers. Show incidents from the novel that show how the soldiers are still in a battle.
Essay Topic 3
The Purple Heart is one of the highest honors that a soldier can receive. Describe how Andrew feels about his Purple Heart. List examples from the novel that show Andrew's feelings about the medal. How do you think other soldiers at the hospital feel about their medals? Explore why they might feel that way.
This section contains 1,959 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)