|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie's Sunday School teacher find disgusting?
2. Why is Annie so interested in the things that Ruth shows her?
3. What is Annie's mother's name?
4. How do Annie and her grandfather get to St. John's when Annie returns for a second visit?
5. Why does Andrew not say goodbye to Annie as she leaves after visiting the hospital for a second time?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, why is Annie almost glad that her father is up and gone when she gets up in the morning?
2. What are Annie's activities when summer comes?
3. Why is Annie so bothered by the wounded soldiers she saw at the train station?
4. What keeps Mrs. Metcalf so busy that Annie has learned to play alone or to spend time at her grandparents' home?
5. Describe the soldier Annie meets at the hospital during her first visit to St. John's.
6. Describe Annie's feelings as she goes to meet her father at the train station.
7. What did Dr. Metcalf tell Annie before he left home nearly two years ago?
8. Who is Timothy Lewis?
9. Describe Dr. Metcalf's appearance the day after he returns home.
10. How did Annie and her mother get along while Dr. Metcalf was gone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A war memorial is being built to honor the soldiers who gave their lives in the war. There is no memorial being planned for those who have been wounded. Why do you think only the soldiers who died are being honored? Do you think the wounded men would appreciate being included on the memorial? Why or why not? Present reasons why the wounded men also should be honored for their sacrifices.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how Ruth, Dr. Metcalf, Mrs. Metcalf, and Grandmother feel about the war memorial. Contrast their reactions and explain why the characters like or dislike the memorial. Explain what circumstances in their lives might have caused them to develop these opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Annie's parents don't always agree. Write how they work out their differences. List specific examples of times when they disagree and how they come to an agreement.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)