|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Annie celebrate the Fourth of July this summer?
2. What do Annie and her Sunday School class see on their outing?
3. What does Annie's Sunday School teacher find disgusting?
4. When Annie visits St. John's again, what does she bring to share?
5. Where does the Sunday School class go next?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Annie and her mother get along while Dr. Metcalf was gone?
2. Why, if the war ended last year, does the newspaper run an article about a peace treaty?
3. What is Bible School?
4. How were many soldiers burned?
5. What did Dr. Metcalf tell Annie before he left home nearly two years ago?
6. Why doesn't Annie's mother want her to visit St. John's?
7. What are Annie's activities when summer comes?
8. Why does Annie think she knows how much her mother missed Dr. Metcalf?
9. Describe the two groups of soldiers that get off the train when Dr. Metcalf arrives.
10. Describe Annie's thoughts when the boy delivered the telegram telling them that Uncle Paul had died.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore how the different characters react to Paul's death. Are the reactions of the various characters typical of what you would expect based on their relationship to Paul? Would you expect Grandmother to react more strongly than Annie? Compare the reactions of the different characters.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Metcalf says that "all the treaties in the world won't end the war for [the soldiers]." What do you think Dr. Metcalf meant by that? List reasons why the war is not over for the wounded soldiers. Show incidents from the novel that show how the soldiers are still in a battle.
Essay Topic 3
Andrew enlists in the war voluntarily. As the son of a farmer, he could have stayed home. If Andrew could turn back the clock, do you think he would decide not to enlist? Do you think he is the type of person that would have felt he needed to serve regardless of the cost?Explain why or why not he would choose to enlist if he knew he would be horribly injured.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)