|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Annie and Mrs. Metcalf talk over breakfast the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home, what does Annie's mother say about what they saw at the train station?
2. What do Mrs. Metcalf and her first group of friends like to do?
3. Where is the first place that Annie goes with her Sunday School class?
4. What is the name of Annie's dog?
5. How does Annie's mother react to what she sees at the train station?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were many soldiers burned?
2. Describe Dr. Metcalf's appearance the day after he returns home.
3. Why do you think Annie decides to go back to St. John's?
4. Describe the two groups of soldiers that get off the train when Dr. Metcalf arrives.
5. How did Annie's grandparents react when they learned that Uncle Paul had died?
6. How do Annie, her family, and Ruth feel about the new war monument?
7. Describe Ruth Sylvester.
8. Why is Annie so bothered by the wounded soldiers she saw at the train station?
9. How does Annie feel about her visit to St. John's?
10. What two events drew Annie and her Uncle Paul closer together? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grandfather and Grandmother have very different reactions to Paul's death. Write how their reactions differed when they first heard the news. List examples of other times when the author shows how differently they are coping with Uncle Paul's death. Explain why they might have different ways of coping. Do you think one method of dealing with Paul's death is better than another? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Metcalf's attitudes change over the course of the novel. Describe her feelings at the beginning of the novel. List examples that show how she changes. Especially compare her attitude toward Andrew at the beginning and at the end of the novel. Explain why you think her attitude changes.
Essay Topic 3
Miss Peterson, Emily, a trolley conductor, and even Mrs. Metcalf wish to forget the war and forget the men wounded in the war. Why do you think they don't honor the men for the sacrifices they made? Explain the reasons why the different characters might feel that way. Especially focus on the reasons why Mrs. Metcalf doesn't want to discuss the war. Did Mrs. Metcalf always hate the war? Why or why not?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)