Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Frances and Charlie?
2. Annie runs away from one of the patients on her first visit to St. John's. Why does she go back?
3. After their first dinner together with father and their guests leave, what do the Metcalfs do together?
4. Why doesn't Annie enjoy the fireworks on the Fourth of July?
5. Which army used the agent that injured the soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Annie and Emily put their differences behind them after Grandfather's heart attack?
2. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
3. When Annie and her parents got home, why did Annie not run and hug her father like her cousins did?
4. Why does Annie have to help her Grandfather get off the trolley when she visits St. John's for a second time?
5. Why do you think Andrew gave Annie his Purple Heart?
6. What do Mrs. Metcalf and Annie find unfair about everything that has happened concerning Uncle Paul's death and how he died?
7. How were many soldiers burned?
8. Do you think Annie was right to disobey her mother and visit St. John's again?
9. Describe the two groups of soldiers that get off the train when Dr. Metcalf arrives.
10. How was Andrew injured?
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, Annie is troubled by the wounded soldiers she sees at the train station. Throughout the novel, she struggles with mixed feelings about the wounded men. Annie's mother is even more disturbed by the wounded men. Explore whether Mrs. Metcalf's attitude toward the war and the wounded soldiers influenced Annie. Did Mrs. Metcalf's refusal to discuss the men make Annie determined to prove her mother wrong? Does Mrs. Metcalf's declaration that Annie will be bothered by the men give Annie the courage to face the men and show her mother how strong she is? Explore reasons why Mrs. Metcalf's attitude may have given Annie the strength to face the men and think for herself.
Essay Topic 2
Although Ruth is not a major character, she plays an important role in the novel. How would the story have been different if she was not a part of the story? List scenes from the book where she influenced other characters and has an impact on decisions they make.
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Metcalf says that "all the treaties in the world won't end the war for [the soldiers]." What do you think Dr. Metcalf meant by that? List reasons why the war is not over for the wounded soldiers. Show incidents from the novel that show how the soldiers are still in a battle.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)