Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Frances and Charlie?
2. Annie runs away from one of the patients on her first visit to St. John's. Why does she go back?
3. After their first dinner together with father and their guests leave, what do the Metcalfs do together?
4. Why doesn't Annie enjoy the fireworks on the Fourth of July?
5. Which army used the agent that injured the soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Annie and Emily put their differences behind them after Grandfather's heart attack?
2. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
3. When Annie and her parents got home, why did Annie not run and hug her father like her cousins did?
4. Why does Annie have to help her Grandfather get off the trolley when she visits St. John's for a second time?
5. Why do you think Andrew gave Annie his Purple Heart?
6. What do Mrs. Metcalf and Annie find unfair about everything that has happened concerning Uncle Paul's death and how he died?
7. How were many soldiers burned?
8. Do you think Annie was right to disobey her mother and visit St. John's again?
9. Describe the two groups of soldiers that get off the train when Dr. Metcalf arrives.
10. How was Andrew injured?
Essay Topic 1
The Purple Heart is one of the highest honors that a soldier can receive. Describe how Andrew feels about his Purple Heart. List examples from the novel that show Andrew's feelings about the medal. How do you think other soldiers at the hospital feel about their medals? Explore why they might feel that way.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, Annie's parents both brush away her fears about the wounded soldiers. Later, Annie will accuse her father of lying to her. Why do you think Annie's parents don't tell her the truth? Why do you think Annie's mother did not want Annie to worry about the soldiers? Why do you think Annie's father did not want her to worry about the soldiers?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the author uses foreshadowing regarding Uncle Paul's death. List examples of where the author uses foreshadowing to make you question the circumstances behind his death.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)