|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Annie concerned about her grandfather as they begin the journey to go to St. John's for a second time?
2. Why does Annie sometimes feel shut out of her mother's life?
3. What did Annie's grandfather do when he heard his son had died?
4. Why, on her first visit to St. John's, does Annie run away when she meets a patient?
5. How were most of the burned soldiers injured?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two events drew Annie and her Uncle Paul closer together? Why?
2. Describe Dr. Metcalf's appearance the day after he returns home.
3. Why does Annie think she knows how much her mother missed Dr. Metcalf?
4. What did Dr. Metcalf tell Annie before he left home nearly two years ago?
5. Why do you think Annie decides to go back to St. John's?
6. Why is Annie so disturbed when Father and Grandfather look at Uncle Paul's motorcycle?
7. Why is Annie so bothered by the wounded soldiers she saw at the train station?
8. Why, if the war ended last year, does the newspaper run an article about a peace treaty?
9. Why does Annie become angry with Miss Peterson and Emily?
10. Describe Ruth Sylvester.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After her mother leaves for Colorado, Annie deliberately disobeys her mother and continues to visit St. John's. Describe the struggle Annie has with her conscience as she lies to both her parents. Include examples that show her struggle. Do you think the good that Annie was doing excused the fact that she was disobeying her mother?
Essay Topic 2
A war memorial is being built to honor the soldiers who gave their lives in the war. There is no memorial being planned for those who have been wounded. Why do you think only the soldiers who died are being honored? Do you think the wounded men would appreciate being included on the memorial? Why or why not? Present reasons why the wounded men also should be honored for their sacrifices.
Essay Topic 3
Although Ruth is not a major character, she plays an important role in the novel. How would the story have been different if she was not a part of the story? List scenes from the book where she influenced other characters and has an impact on decisions they make.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)