|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first evening Annie spends alone with her uncle, he tells her that she is "a person of taste." Why does he say that?
2. When her father was gone, what time of day did Annie most miss her father?
3. The first Saturday after her father arrives, Annie's father is already awake and gone. Why is Annie almost glad he isn't home?
4. What is the name of the performance that Uncle Paul and Annie view together?
5. What do Annie and her grandfather discuss when they play checkers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Timothy Lewis?
2. Why, if the war ended last year, does the newspaper run an article about a peace treaty?
3. How were many soldiers burned?
4. Why does Annie think she knows how much her mother missed Dr. Metcalf?
5. In Chapter 10, why is Annie angry with her mother?
6. Describe Mrs. Metcalf's friends.
7. Why does Annie wish to visit St. John's?
8. What keeps Mrs. Metcalf so busy that Annie has learned to play alone or to spend time at her grandparents' home?
9. What is Bible School?
10. What are Annie's activities when summer comes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grandfather and Grandmother have very different reactions to Paul's death. Write how their reactions differed when they first heard the news. List examples of other times when the author shows how differently they are coping with Uncle Paul's death. Explain why they might have different ways of coping. Do you think one method of dealing with Paul's death is better than another? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Although Ruth is not a major character, she plays an important role in the novel. How would the story have been different if she was not a part of the story? List scenes from the book where she influenced other characters and has an impact on decisions they make.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the novel, Annie's parents both brush away her fears about the wounded soldiers. Later, Annie will accuse her father of lying to her. Why do you think Annie's parents don't tell her the truth? Why do you think Annie's mother did not want Annie to worry about the soldiers? Why do you think Annie's father did not want her to worry about the soldiers?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)