|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 19 and 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why, on her first visit to St. John's, does Annie run away when she meets a patient?
(a) He is horribly disfigured.
(b) She's shy and doesn't know what to say.
(c) He reminds her of Uncle Paul.
(d) He tries to flirt with her.
2. Why didn't Uncle Paul die in battle on June 6?
(a) His unit didn't fight a battle until June 14.
(b) The army listed the wrong date in the telegram sent to Annie's family.
(c) He wasn't in France on June 6.
(d) He was in Britain on June 6.
3. Why is Annie's mother planning a trip the day after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) She needs more books from the library.
(b) She has an invitation to play a new piece of music at a concert.
(c) She and Grandmother will take Grandfather on a trip to recuperate.
(d) She had an argument with Annie's father.
4. Why does Annie's mother not want Annie to visit St. John's for a third time?
(a) Because Annie needs to go to Bible School.
(b) She doesn't think Annie will be able to get all her chores done.
(c) Because Annie is supposed to be helping Grandmother.
(d) She does not want Annie exposed to all the ugliness.
5. What does Annie begin to realize about her mother and her mother's behavior after her second visit to St. John's?
(a) Her mother is irrational.
(b) Her mother ignores things that are unpleasant.
(c) Her mother's dislike of anything that relates to the war must influence her mother's behavior.
(d) Her mother needs to talk about the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ruth come over to Annie's house the evening after Annie visits St. John's for a second time?
2. What does Annie's father talk about in the evenings after work?
3. The first time Annie visits the hospital, who gives her a tour?
4. As the days pass since her grandparents and mother left, what does Annie begin to dread?
5. Why does Annie's mother often leave the room when Annie's father talks about his work?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)