|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Aeneas mourning at the beginning of Book XI?
2. What causes the Ausonians to attack the Trojans?
(a) A snake startles them and a soldier striking at it causes everyone to start fighting.
(b) Iulus hunted and shot a deer he didn't know was a favored pet.
(c) Trojan soldiers insult Lavinia.
(d) Aeneas does not show proper reverence to King Latinus' laurel tree.
3. What does Jupiter promise Juno about the Latin folk?
(a) They will win the day and turn the Trojans from their land.
(b) They will be allowed to keep their language and way of life.
(c) They will be allowed to leave the land freely.
(d) They will adopt all Trojan customs and ways.
4. What does Venus use to convince her husband Vulcan to make armor for Aeneas?
(a) The flame of love.
(b) Threats of Jupiter's anger.
(c) Cool reason.
5. Who finds his or her way inside the Trojan camp at the end of Book IX and begins to massacre Trojans?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juno plan to do in Book VII to stop Aeneas from ruling Italy?
2. How does Nisus die?
3. With whose funeral does Book VII open?
4. Who fills Tarchon with anger so that he will fight and lead his warriors better?
5. What do seers say it means when Lavinia's hair glows with divine fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some actions that demonstrate the strong friendship between Nisus and Euryalus?
2. What transition occurs around lines 46-47 in Book VII and how does Virgil handle this shift?
3. Who are the princes referred to in the book title, how do they die, and why might their deaths be particularly significant?
4. What does Evander tell Aeneas about Latin history?
5. Why would Aeneas' shield be covered with the deeds of his descendants?
6. Why is it significant that in Latinum, Aeneas and some of his followers eat the wheaten cakes they were using as plates for their meal?
7. Did Nisus and Euryalus act wisely when attempting to carry out their mission? Why or why not?
8. Why does Juno send Juturna to interfere with the war?
9. How does Venus use references to the Trojan War when meeting with Jupiter at the beginning of Book X?
10. What might Evander mean when he says that it isn't empty-headed superstition that leads them to celebrate?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)