|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mission do Nisus and Euryalus take on?
(a) They intend to go plead with King Latinus to stop the siege.
(b) They intend to abduct Lavinia and bring her back to the Trojan camp.
(c) They intend to find reinforcements.
(d) They intend to go find Aeneas and tell him about the siege.
2. Who is sent by Juno to Turnus at the beginning of Book IX to tell him now is the time to attack the Trojans?
(c) Juno goes herself.
3. Who does Aeneas convince to pledge to fight with him?
(a) The Rutulians.
(d) The Etruscans.
4. What does the goddess Circe do to those she enchants?
(a) She leads them to the underworld.
(b) She sings to lure them into the water, where they drown.
(c) She makes them immortal.
(d) She turns them into beasts.
5. How does Diomedes know Aeneas?
(a) Aeneas tracked him down to punish him for wounding Venus.
(b) Together, they stole the Palladium.
(c) They fought against each other in the Trojan War.
(d) He has heard tales from friends who traveled to Troy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aeneas promise to the Italians if he wins his fight with Turnus?
2. Who appears to Aeneas in a dream to tell him where to find people willing to ally themselves with the Trojans against the Latins?
3. Who is Aeneas told will be willing to fight with him against the Latins?
4. What problem does Turnus face when he tries to attack the Trojan camp?
5. With whose funeral does Book VII open?
Short Essay Questions
1. How might Turnus be turning into a mini-Achilles (as predicted) in Book IX?
2. What does Evander mean when he tells Aeneas that Aeneas must have the courage to shape himself to fit through the low doorway into Evander's humble home, besides the literal fact that Aeneas is too tall to walk through the doorway without stooping a bit?
3. How does Venus use references to the Trojan War when meeting with Jupiter at the beginning of Book X?
4. What does Jupiter mean when he says that to everyone (Trojan or Rutulian), he is the same king?
5. Why is it significant that in Latinum, Aeneas and some of his followers eat the wheaten cakes they were using as plates for their meal?
6. Who are the princes referred to in the book title, how do they die, and why might their deaths be particularly significant?
7. Why does Juno send Juturna to interfere with the war?
8. What suggestions are given in this book as to how the conflict can be resolved?
9. What transition occurs around lines 46-47 in Book VII and how does Virgil handle this shift?
10. What might Evander mean when he says that it isn't empty-headed superstition that leads them to celebrate?
This section contains 1,361 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)