|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Evander, unaware, is the founder of which of the following?
(a) The Lupercal grotto.
(b) The first military school in Italy.
(c) The sacred wood of Argiletum.
(d) Rome's great citadel.
2. What does Jupiter promise Juno about the Latin folk?
(a) They will be allowed to leave the land freely.
(b) They will be allowed to keep their language and way of life.
(c) They will adopt all Trojan customs and ways.
(d) They will win the day and turn the Trojans from their land.
3. Who tells Aeneas that Ascanius and the Trojans are under siege?
(a) The ghost of Euryalus.
(c) The sea nymphs that were once his ships.
(d) The ghost of Nisus.
4. What does Venus use to convince her husband Vulcan to make armor for Aeneas?
(a) The flame of love.
(b) Cool reason.
(d) Threats of Jupiter's anger.
5. To whom is Camilla compared to as she fights?
(b) An Amazon.
(c) A Fury.
(d) A Harpy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do seers say it means when Lavinia's hair glows with divine fire?
2. What does Jupiter tell Hercules is the labor of the brave, since human lifetimes are so short?
3. What does the goddess Circe do to those she enchants?
4. How does Nisus die?
5. What does Venus claim the Trojans would have been better off doing after Troy was destroyed by the Greeks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between what Arruns prays for and what he actually receives?
2. What suggestions are given in this book as to how the conflict can be resolved?
3. Under what conditions does Jupiter allow Juno to remove Turnus from the fight?
4. Did Nisus and Euryalus act wisely when attempting to carry out their mission? Why or why not?
5. What are some actions that demonstrate the strong friendship between Nisus and Euryalus?
6. What might Evander mean when he says that it isn't empty-headed superstition that leads them to celebrate?
7. What does Evander tell Aeneas about Latin history?
8. What transition occurs around lines 46-47 in Book VII and how does Virgil handle this shift?
9. How might Turnus be turning into a mini-Achilles (as predicted) in Book IX?
10. Examine the advice and prophecy that Faunus gives his son Latinus. Rewrite in your own words what he is saying.
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)