|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Diomedes know Aeneas?
(a) He has heard tales from friends who traveled to Troy.
(b) They fought against each other in the Trojan War.
(c) Together, they stole the Palladium.
(d) Aeneas tracked him down to punish him for wounding Venus.
2. Which of the following is not one of the ways Juno suggests Juturna try to save Turnus?
(a) To start the war again.
(b) To snatch him back from death.
(c) To get the two sides to break the pact.
(d) To convince Jupiter to intervene.
3. Why does Aeneas lose his temper and kill Turnus instead of showing mercy?
(a) He sees Turnus wearing Pallas' swordbelt.
(b) Allecto plants anger in his heart.
(c) Jupiter commands him to do so.
(d) He knows he will never have peace as long as Turnus lives.
4. What favor does Aeneas generously grant the Latin petition?
(a) He will pray to Jupiter and the gods on their behalf.
(b) He will return Mezentius' weapons and armor.
(c) He will return their dead for proper burial.
(d) He will speak to Turnus about ending the conflict.
5. What portent announces the arrival of Venus with Aeneas' new armor?
(a) A flock of doves.
(b) A gentle breeze.
(c) Flashing lightning and a thunder crack.
(d) A tongue of fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians?
2. What does Jupiter tell Hercules is the labor of the brave, since human lifetimes are so short?
3. What had Jupiter forbidden to happen?
4. What does Venus use to convince her husband Vulcan to make armor for Aeneas?
5. What does the feast the Arcadians are having celebrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it significant that in Latinum, Aeneas and some of his followers eat the wheaten cakes they were using as plates for their meal?
2. How has King Latinus' method of dealing with the war changed since Book VII?
3. Why does Juno send Juturna to interfere with the war?
4. What suggestions are given in this book as to how the conflict can be resolved?
5. What does Jupiter mean when he says that to everyone (Trojan or Rutulian), he is the same king?
6. How does Jupiter ensure that Aeneas will win the combat with Turnus?
7. What arguments does Sacës use to persuade Turnus to return to the fight?
8. How does Venus use references to the Trojan War when meeting with Jupiter at the beginning of Book X?
9. What does Evander tell Aeneas about Latin history?
10. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians and how do they interpret it?
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)