|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Aeneas lose his temper and kill Turnus instead of showing mercy?
(a) He knows he will never have peace as long as Turnus lives.
(b) Jupiter commands him to do so.
(c) Allecto plants anger in his heart.
(d) He sees Turnus wearing Pallas' swordbelt.
2. For what purpose does Virgil invoke Erato, the Muse of Desire?
(a) To help him retell the history of the early kings of Latium.
(b) To help him talk about how Aeneas still mourned for Dido.
(c) To help him woo the goddess Venus.
(d) To help him describe the goddess Circe.
3. What favor does Aeneas generously grant the Latin petition?
(a) He will return their dead for proper burial.
(b) He will return Mezentius' weapons and armor.
(c) He will speak to Turnus about ending the conflict.
(d) He will pray to Jupiter and the gods on their behalf.
4. What is Iulus' first feat of arms?
(a) He uses his shield to protect another soldier from a rain of arrows.
(b) He cuts down with his sword a Rutulian trying to climb into the Trojan camp.
(c) He fights Turnus with an ax.
(d) He shoots Remulus through the head with an arrow.
5. What do Nisus and Euryalus do as they move through Turnus' camp?
(a) They call on Venus to protect them.
(b) They slaughter sleeping warriors.
(c) They make note of how many soldiers are there.
(d) They bind their feet up in cloth to move silently.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nisus die?
2. Why does Nisus surrender to the Rutulians?
3. What does Virgil do to prepare to talk about the warfare between the Trojans and the Rutulians?
4. For what does Juno blame Aeneas in regard to the current conflict?
5. What does Juno plan to do in Book VII to stop Aeneas from ruling Italy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What transition occurs around lines 46-47 in Book VII and how does Virgil handle this shift?
2. How does Venus use references to the Trojan War when meeting with Jupiter at the beginning of Book X?
3. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians and how do they interpret it?
4. Why does Juno send Juturna to interfere with the war?
5. What are some actions that demonstrate the strong friendship between Nisus and Euryalus?
6. How might Turnus be turning into a mini-Achilles (as predicted) in Book IX?
7. What suggestions are given in this book as to how the conflict can be resolved?
8. What might Evander mean when he says that it isn't empty-headed superstition that leads them to celebrate?
9. What does the use of Iris as a messenger at the end of Book IX tell the reader about the balance of power between the gods?
10. Describe Latinus' actions once he sees his people fighting with the Trojans.
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)