|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Evander plan to use as Aeneas' new army?
(a) The Ithacans.
(b) The Rutulians.
(c) The Etruscans.
(d) The Spartans.
2. Why does Turnus think he can beat Aeneas in single combat?
(a) Because Jupiter has decreed that he will win.
(b) Because Lavinia promises to help him.
(c) Because Venus will not be allowed to intervene.
(d) Because Juno will fight alongside him.
3. How does Arruns kill Camilla?
(a) In hand-to-hand combat.
(b) With a thrown javelin.
(c) Accidentally, with a misplaced axe swing.
(d) He only wounds her.
4. Who does Aeneas convince to pledge to fight with him?
(a) The Rutulians.
(b) The Etruscans.
5. Who is sent by Juno to Turnus at the beginning of Book IX to tell him now is the time to attack the Trojans?
(d) Juno goes herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Aeneas trust he can approach Evander safely as a supplicant?
2. Which monsters help Vulcan in his forge?
3. Who does the queen of Latium want her daughter to marry?
4. Which of the following is NOT one of the examples that Venus lists of ways that Juno ignored Jupiter's will and tried to form new destinies for men?
5. Who does Venus want to keep safe by removing him or her from the war between the Trojans and Latins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How might Turnus be turning into a mini-Achilles (as predicted) in Book IX?
2. Describe Latinus' actions once he sees his people fighting with the Trojans.
3. What does Jupiter mean when he says that to everyone (Trojan or Rutulian), he is the same king?
4. How has King Latinus' method of dealing with the war changed since Book VII?
5. How does Jupiter become involved with the war in Book XI, and does this seem fair after he said before in Book X about being the same king to both Trojans and Rutulians?
6. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians and how do they interpret it?
7. What suggestions are given in this book as to how the conflict can be resolved?
8. How does Venus use references to the Trojan War when meeting with Jupiter at the beginning of Book X?
9. Examine the advice and prophecy that Faunus gives his son Latinus. Rewrite in your own words what he is saying.
10. What does the use of Iris as a messenger at the end of Book IX tell the reader about the balance of power between the gods?
This section contains 1,424 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)