|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who appears to Aeneas in a dream to tell him where to find people willing to ally themselves with the Trojans against the Latins?
(a) Anchises, to confirm for Aeneas that he is in the right place.
(b) Tiberinus, the river god of the Tiber.
(c) Venus, to help her son.
(d) Allecto, who hopes to lead him astray.
2. Why does Aeneas trust he can approach Evander safely as a supplicant?
(a) A white pig in a dream tells him he can.
(b) Evander is an enemy to Juno.
(c) They are related through their ancestors.
(d) Cupid has gone before him and won Evander over.
3. What does Aeneas say is the only reason he came to Italy?
(a) Because he promised to aid Evander and the Arcadians.
(b) Because he was fleeing the Greeks.
(c) Because fate gave him this land for settlement.
(d) Because he was invited by King Latinus.
4. What is Iulus' first feat of arms?
(a) He uses his shield to protect another soldier from a rain of arrows.
(b) He fights Turnus with an ax.
(c) He shoots Remulus through the head with an arrow.
(d) He cuts down with his sword a Rutulian trying to climb into the Trojan camp.
5. Which of the following is not one of the ways Juno suggests Juturna try to save Turnus?
(a) To snatch him back from death.
(b) To get the two sides to break the pact.
(c) To start the war again.
(d) To convince Jupiter to intervene.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Drancës call on Turnus to do?
2. With whose funeral does Book VII open?
3. What does King Latinus propose to give to the Trojans?
4. What pictures are shown on the shield Venus gives to Aeneas?
5. What does Ilioneus ask for from King Latinus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jupiter mean when he says that to everyone (Trojan or Rutulian), he is the same king?
2. How has King Latinus' method of dealing with the war changed since Book VII?
3. How does Jupiter ensure that Aeneas will win the combat with Turnus?
4. What are some actions that demonstrate the strong friendship between Nisus and Euryalus?
5. What does Evander mean when he tells Aeneas that Aeneas must have the courage to shape himself to fit through the low doorway into Evander's humble home, besides the literal fact that Aeneas is too tall to walk through the doorway without stooping a bit?
6. What arguments does Sacës use to persuade Turnus to return to the fight?
7. How does Jupiter become involved with the war in Book XI, and does this seem fair after he said before in Book X about being the same king to both Trojans and Rutulians?
8. Under what conditions does Jupiter allow Juno to remove Turnus from the fight?
9. Why does Juno send Juturna to interfere with the war?
10. What does Evander tell Aeneas about Latin history?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)