|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what purpose does Virgil invoke Erato, the Muse of Desire?
(a) To help him woo the goddess Venus.
(b) To help him retell the history of the early kings of Latium.
(c) To help him talk about how Aeneas still mourned for Dido.
(d) To help him describe the goddess Circe.
2. What is one of Juno's arguments for why it was right for her to have helped the Rutulians?
(a) The Rutulians made all the right sacrifices to her.
(b) She is spending an equal amount of time helping Aeneas.
(c) Other gods helped Aeneas by spiriting him to safety and turning his ships into nymphs.
(d) The Rutulians are fated to rule, and she is just helping them fulfill that fate.
3. What does Virgil do to prepare to talk about the warfare between the Trojans and the Rutulians?
(a) Provides the reader with information about the ancestries of the major warriors.
(b) Chastizes Allecto for helping Juno start this war.
(c) Calls on the Muse Calliope for help.
(d) Blames Juno for the upcoming bloodshed.
4. Who fills Tarchon with anger so that he will fight and lead his warriors better?
5. Who is Aeneas told will be willing to fight with him against the Latins?
(a) Turnus and his Etruscans.
(c) King Evander and his Arcadians.
(d) King Latinus and his Latins.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Aeneas healed in Book XII after war breaks out again and he is injured?
2. What do seers say it means when Lavinia's hair glows with divine fire?
3. For what does Juno blame Aeneas in regard to the current conflict?
4. What reason does Latinus give to Turnus for why the Rutulians got involved in bloody wars with the Trojans?
5. Who does Aeneas convince to pledge to fight with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Aeneas' shield be covered with the deeds of his descendants?
2. How does Jupiter ensure that Aeneas will win the combat with Turnus?
3. What does Evander mean when he tells Aeneas that Aeneas must have the courage to shape himself to fit through the low doorway into Evander's humble home, besides the literal fact that Aeneas is too tall to walk through the doorway without stooping a bit?
4. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians and how do they interpret it?
5. What does the use of Iris as a messenger at the end of Book IX tell the reader about the balance of power between the gods?
6. What does Jupiter mean when he says that to everyone (Trojan or Rutulian), he is the same king?
7. How does Jupiter become involved with the war in Book XI, and does this seem fair after he said before in Book X about being the same king to both Trojans and Rutulians?
8. What are some actions that demonstrate the strong friendship between Nisus and Euryalus?
9. Describe Latinus' actions once he sees his people fighting with the Trojans.
10. Under what conditions does Jupiter allow Juno to remove Turnus from the fight?
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)