|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Aeneas convince to pledge to fight with him?
(a) The Rutulians.
(b) The Etruscans.
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the examples that Venus lists of ways that Juno ignored Jupiter's will and tried to form new destinies for men?
(a) She used Iris as a helper.
(b) She asked Vulcan to craft a special shield.
(c) She used Allecto to stir up a frenzy.
(d) She caused the women to burn the Trojans' ships on Eryx's shore.
3. What problem does Turnus face when he tries to attack the Trojan camp?
(a) The Trojans hole up in their camp and won't come out.
(b) King Latinus interferes and stops him.
(c) He is vastly outnumbered by the Trojan fighters.
(d) He can't locate the camp because the Trojans have moved it.
4. What mission do Nisus and Euryalus take on?
(a) They intend to go plead with King Latinus to stop the siege.
(b) They intend to abduct Lavinia and bring her back to the Trojan camp.
(c) They intend to go find Aeneas and tell him about the siege.
(d) They intend to find reinforcements.
5. Which of the following is not one of the ways Juno suggests Juturna try to save Turnus?
(a) To convince Jupiter to intervene.
(b) To get the two sides to break the pact.
(c) To start the war again.
(d) To snatch him back from death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Juno craft a phantom Aeneas and lure Turnus onto a departing boat?
2. What betrays the presence of Euryalus to the enemy?
3. Who is Aeneas told will be willing to fight with him against the Latins?
4. Who does Venus want to keep safe by removing him or her from the war between the Trojans and Latins?
5. How does Juturna cause unrest in the ranks of the Rutulians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Evander mean when he tells Aeneas that Aeneas must have the courage to shape himself to fit through the low doorway into Evander's humble home, besides the literal fact that Aeneas is too tall to walk through the doorway without stooping a bit?
2. What are some actions that demonstrate the strong friendship between Nisus and Euryalus?
3. Describe Latinus' actions once he sees his people fighting with the Trojans.
4. Why does Juno send Juturna to interfere with the war?
5. How has King Latinus' method of dealing with the war changed since Book VII?
6. What arguments does Sacës use to persuade Turnus to return to the fight?
7. Why is it significant that in Latinum, Aeneas and some of his followers eat the wheaten cakes they were using as plates for their meal?
8. How does Jupiter ensure that Aeneas will win the combat with Turnus?
9. Who are the princes referred to in the book title, how do they die, and why might their deaths be particularly significant?
10. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians and how do they interpret it?
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)