|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does King Latinus welcome the Trojans to Latinum?
(a) Sadly, because he knows their coming fortells his death.
(b) Angrily, because the queen is forcing him to be polite to them.
(c) Gladly, because he wants Aeneas to marry his daughter.
(d) Duplicitously, because he plans to murder them and take their treasure and ships.
2. Who tells Aeneas that Ascanius and the Trojans are under siege?
(a) The ghost of Euryalus.
(b) The sea nymphs that were once his ships.
(d) The ghost of Nisus.
3. What does the feast the Arcadians are having celebrate?
(a) When the Arcadians defeated the Latins in battle.
(b) When Dardandus left to found Troy.
(c) When Hercules slew the beast Cacus.
(d) The anniversary of Evander becoming king.
4. What does Drancës call on Turnus to do?
(a) Go into exile.
(b) Relinquish his claim to Lavinia and meet Aeneas in single combat.
(c) Surrender himself as Aeneas' prisoner.
(d) Pay Lavinia's ransom.
5. How is Queen Amata turned thoroughly against the idea of Aeneas marrying her daughter Lavinia?
(a) The goddess Juno threatens her with destruction if she allows the wedding to take place.
(b) The goddess Venus influences her to save Aeneas for another bride.
(c) The goddess Allecto attaches a snake to her that poisons her mind.
(d) One of Aeneas' followers tells her the story of how he treated Dido.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the Trojans' ships when Turnus tries to burn them?
2. What does Jupiter tell Hercules is the labor of the brave, since human lifetimes are so short?
3. What does Juno plan to do in Book VII to stop Aeneas from ruling Italy?
4. What did the god Saturn give the first people in Latinum to start their civilization?
5. What does the soothsayer say it means when bees cluster together and weigh down the branch of King Latinus' laurel tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Juno send Juturna to interfere with the war?
2. What might Evander mean when he says that it isn't empty-headed superstition that leads them to celebrate?
3. Examine the advice and prophecy that Faunus gives his son Latinus. Rewrite in your own words what he is saying.
4. How might Turnus be turning into a mini-Achilles (as predicted) in Book IX?
5. What does the use of Iris as a messenger at the end of Book IX tell the reader about the balance of power between the gods?
6. How has King Latinus' method of dealing with the war changed since Book VII?
7. Describe Latinus' actions once he sees his people fighting with the Trojans.
8. Why would Aeneas' shield be covered with the deeds of his descendants?
9. What arguments does Sacës use to persuade Turnus to return to the fight?
10. What suggestions are given in this book as to how the conflict can be resolved?
This section contains 1,355 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)