|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians?
(a) Flashes of lightning that spell out Turnus' name in the sky.
(b) Jupiter's golden bird chased off by a group of smaller birds working together after it tries to take a swan.
(c) A horde of snakes that drive the Rutulians closer to the Trojans.
(d) A crown of flame that encircles Turnus' head.
2. Why does Aeneas lose his temper and kill Turnus instead of showing mercy?
(a) He sees Turnus wearing Pallas' swordbelt.
(b) Jupiter commands him to do so.
(c) He knows he will never have peace as long as Turnus lives.
(d) Allecto plants anger in his heart.
3. What does Virgil do to prepare to talk about the warfare between the Trojans and the Rutulians?
(a) Blames Juno for the upcoming bloodshed.
(b) Chastizes Allecto for helping Juno start this war.
(c) Provides the reader with information about the ancestries of the major warriors.
(d) Calls on the Muse Calliope for help.
4. How does Arruns kill Camilla?
(a) He only wounds her.
(b) In hand-to-hand combat.
(c) Accidentally, with a misplaced axe swing.
(d) With a thrown javelin.
5. What had Jupiter forbidden to happen?
(a) Aeneas to ally with the Arcadians.
(b) The Trojans to hole up in their camp.
(c) Lavinia and Aeneas to marry.
(d) Italy and the Trojans to go to war with each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Queen Amata turned thoroughly against the idea of Aeneas marrying her daughter Lavinia?
2. What causes the Ausonians to attack the Trojans?
3. What problem does Turnus face when he tries to attack the Trojan camp?
4. What does Aeneas promise to the Italians if he wins his fight with Turnus?
5. What do Nisus and Euryalus do as they move through Turnus' camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Evander mean when he tells Aeneas that Aeneas must have the courage to shape himself to fit through the low doorway into Evander's humble home, besides the literal fact that Aeneas is too tall to walk through the doorway without stooping a bit?
2. What transition occurs around lines 46-47 in Book VII and how does Virgil handle this shift?
3. Why is it significant that in Latinum, Aeneas and some of his followers eat the wheaten cakes they were using as plates for their meal?
4. What does Evander tell Aeneas about Latin history?
5. What does Jupiter mean when he says that to everyone (Trojan or Rutulian), he is the same king?
6. How does Jupiter ensure that Aeneas will win the combat with Turnus?
7. Who are the princes referred to in the book title, how do they die, and why might their deaths be particularly significant?
8. Why does Juno send Juturna to interfere with the war?
9. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians and how do they interpret it?
10. What are some actions that demonstrate the strong friendship between Nisus and Euryalus?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)