|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mission do Nisus and Euryalus take on?
(a) They intend to go plead with King Latinus to stop the siege.
(b) They intend to abduct Lavinia and bring her back to the Trojan camp.
(c) They intend to find reinforcements.
(d) They intend to go find Aeneas and tell him about the siege.
2. Who appears to Aeneas in a dream to tell him where to find people willing to ally themselves with the Trojans against the Latins?
(a) Allecto, who hopes to lead him astray.
(b) Venus, to help her son.
(c) Anchises, to confirm for Aeneas that he is in the right place.
(d) Tiberinus, the river god of the Tiber.
3. Which monsters help Vulcan in his forge?
(a) Scylla and Charybdis.
4. What does King Latinus propose to give to the Trojans?
(a) Chests of treasure.
(b) The battle of a lifetime.
(c) Turnus' head on a spear.
(d) A region of land to settle or ships in which to depart.
5. Who does Venus want to keep safe by removing him or her from the war between the Trojans and Latins?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Aeneas that Ascanius and the Trojans are under siege?
2. How does Nisus die?
3. How is Queen Amata turned thoroughly against the idea of Aeneas marrying her daughter Lavinia?
4. What does Jupiter tell Hercules is the labor of the brave, since human lifetimes are so short?
5. What does Venus use to convince her husband Vulcan to make armor for Aeneas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Did Nisus and Euryalus act wisely when attempting to carry out their mission? Why or why not?
2. What suggestions are given in this book as to how the conflict can be resolved?
3. Why is it significant that in Latinum, Aeneas and some of his followers eat the wheaten cakes they were using as plates for their meal?
4. Describe Latinus' actions once he sees his people fighting with the Trojans.
5. What does Evander tell Aeneas about Latin history?
6. What does Jupiter mean when he says that to everyone (Trojan or Rutulian), he is the same king?
7. Why does Juno send Juturna to interfere with the war?
8. How has King Latinus' method of dealing with the war changed since Book VII?
9. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians and how do they interpret it?
10. What does Evander mean when he tells Aeneas that Aeneas must have the courage to shape himself to fit through the low doorway into Evander's humble home, besides the literal fact that Aeneas is too tall to walk through the doorway without stooping a bit?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)