|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the examples that Venus lists of ways that Juno ignored Jupiter's will and tried to form new destinies for men?
(a) She caused the women to burn the Trojans' ships on Eryx's shore.
(b) She asked Vulcan to craft a special shield.
(c) She used Allecto to stir up a frenzy.
(d) She used Iris as a helper.
2. How does Arruns kill Camilla?
(a) In hand-to-hand combat.
(b) With a thrown javelin.
(c) Accidentally, with a misplaced axe swing.
(d) He only wounds her.
3. What does Aeneas say is the only reason he came to Italy?
(a) Because he promised to aid Evander and the Arcadians.
(b) Because fate gave him this land for settlement.
(c) Because he was fleeing the Greeks.
(d) Because he was invited by King Latinus.
4. Why do the Trojans and the Latins call a twelve-day truce?
(a) So they can bury their dead properly.
(b) Because the gods demand it.
(c) Because a plague has broken out on both sides.
(d) So they can prepare for the wedding of Lavinia and Aeneas.
5. Why does Turnus think he can beat Aeneas in single combat?
(a) Because Venus will not be allowed to intervene.
(b) Because Jupiter has decreed that he will win.
(c) Because Juno will fight alongside him.
(d) Because Lavinia promises to help him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Evander, unaware, is the founder of which of the following?
2. What problem does Turnus face when he tries to attack the Trojan camp?
3. What portent announces the arrival of Venus with Aeneas' new armor?
4. Who tells Aeneas that Ascanius and the Trojans are under siege?
5. What mission do Nisus and Euryalus take on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jupiter become involved with the war in Book XI, and does this seem fair after he said before in Book X about being the same king to both Trojans and Rutulians?
2. How has King Latinus' method of dealing with the war changed since Book VII?
3. How might Turnus be turning into a mini-Achilles (as predicted) in Book IX?
4. How does Jupiter ensure that Aeneas will win the combat with Turnus?
5. Why does Juno send Juturna to interfere with the war?
6. What transition occurs around lines 46-47 in Book VII and how does Virgil handle this shift?
7. Who are the princes referred to in the book title, how do they die, and why might their deaths be particularly significant?
8. What might Evander mean when he says that it isn't empty-headed superstition that leads them to celebrate?
9. What does Evander tell Aeneas about Latin history?
10. Did Nisus and Euryalus act wisely when attempting to carry out their mission? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,339 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)