|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the soothsayer say it means when bees cluster together and weigh down the branch of King Latinus' laurel tree?
(a) That there will be a good harvest that year.
(b) That a special stranger will come with a body of men to take Latinus' fortress.
(c) That the tree must be cut down or Latium will fall.
(d) That Latinus and his subjects must band together against strangers.
2. Why does Juno craft a phantom Aeneas and lure Turnus onto a departing boat?
(a) To keep him from dying in the fight.
(b) To spirit him away to a temple to become a priest for her.
(c) To let another Rutulian have a chance to lead.
(d) To remove the Rutulian leader so Aeneas' soldiers can win the battle.
3. What pictures are shown on the shield Venus gives to Aeneas?
(a) Maps of Latium.
(b) Scenes from the siege of Troy.
(c) Scenes of the gods and goddesses seated peacefully in Olympus.
(d) The acts that will make his descendants famous.
4. What does Drancës call on Turnus to do?
(a) Pay Lavinia's ransom.
(b) Surrender himself as Aeneas' prisoner.
(c) Go into exile.
(d) Relinquish his claim to Lavinia and meet Aeneas in single combat.
5. How does Juturna cause unrest in the ranks of the Rutulians?
(a) Disguised as Camers, she encourages them to think that they outnumber the Trojans and that they must fight to keep from being enslaved.
(b) Disguised as Juno, she exorts them to fight like men.
(c) Disguised as Turnus, she orders them to attack Aeneas once he is on his own.
(d) Disguised as Lavinia, she pleads with them to fight to save her from Aeneas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Turnus think he can beat Aeneas in single combat?
2. What does King Latinus propose to give to the Trojans?
3. Who does the queen of Latium want her daughter to marry?
4. Which of the following is NOT something Vulcan and the Cyclops crafted?
5. What does the feast the Arcadians are having celebrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arguments does Sacës use to persuade Turnus to return to the fight?
2. How does Jupiter ensure that Aeneas will win the combat with Turnus?
3. Why would Aeneas' shield be covered with the deeds of his descendants?
4. What does the use of Iris as a messenger at the end of Book IX tell the reader about the balance of power between the gods?
5. How has King Latinus' method of dealing with the war changed since Book VII?
6. Examine the advice and prophecy that Faunus gives his son Latinus. Rewrite in your own words what he is saying.
7. What is the difference between what Arruns prays for and what he actually receives?
8. What does Evander tell Aeneas about Latin history?
9. Did Nisus and Euryalus act wisely when attempting to carry out their mission? Why or why not?
10. How does Venus use references to the Trojan War when meeting with Jupiter at the beginning of Book X?
This section contains 1,321 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)