|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is sent by Juno to Turnus at the beginning of Book IX to tell him now is the time to attack the Trojans?
(c) Juno goes herself.
2. With whose funeral does Book VII open?
3. What does King Latinus propose to give to the Trojans?
(a) A region of land to settle or ships in which to depart.
(b) The battle of a lifetime.
(c) Turnus' head on a spear.
(d) Chests of treasure.
4. Who finds his or her way inside the Trojan camp at the end of Book IX and begins to massacre Trojans?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the examples that Venus lists of ways that Juno ignored Jupiter's will and tried to form new destinies for men?
(a) She caused the women to burn the Trojans' ships on Eryx's shore.
(b) She used Iris as a helper.
(c) She asked Vulcan to craft a special shield.
(d) She used Allecto to stir up a frenzy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fills Tarchon with anger so that he will fight and lead his warriors better?
2. What does the feast the Arcadians are having celebrate?
3. What does Ilioneus ask for from King Latinus?
4. How does Arruns kill Camilla?
5. Why does Turnus think he can beat Aeneas in single combat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What transition occurs around lines 46-47 in Book VII and how does Virgil handle this shift?
2. How does Jupiter ensure that Aeneas will win the combat with Turnus?
3. Did Nisus and Euryalus act wisely when attempting to carry out their mission? Why or why not?
4. How has King Latinus' method of dealing with the war changed since Book VII?
5. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians and how do they interpret it?
6. Why would Aeneas' shield be covered with the deeds of his descendants?
7. Why is it significant that in Latinum, Aeneas and some of his followers eat the wheaten cakes they were using as plates for their meal?
8. What does Evander tell Aeneas about Latin history?
9. What might Evander mean when he says that it isn't empty-headed superstition that leads them to celebrate?
10. Under what conditions does Jupiter allow Juno to remove Turnus from the fight?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)