|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the Trojans' ships when Turnus tries to burn them?
(a) At the command of the mother of the gods, Jupiter turns the ships into sea-goddesses and sets them free.
(b) At the request of Venus, Jupiter causes it to rain and put the fire out.
(c) They go up in ashes, trapping the Trojans in Italy.
(d) They are hidden from view in mist by Venus.
2. What does Juno plan to do in Book VII to stop Aeneas from ruling Italy?
(a) She will spirit Aeneas away to another land.
(b) She will enlist Apollo's aid in frightening Aeneas away.
(c) She will delay the wedding with Lavinia and destroy both peoples.
(d) She will bring down a plague on Latium until Aeneas leaves.
3. Why does Aeneas trust he can approach Evander safely as a supplicant?
(a) A white pig in a dream tells him he can.
(b) They are related through their ancestors.
(c) Evander is an enemy to Juno.
(d) Cupid has gone before him and won Evander over.
4. For what does Juno blame Aeneas in regard to the current conflict?
(a) She blames him for the unfair advantage of his new armor.
(b) She blames him for leaving camp in charge of Ascanius.
(c) She blames him for trying to abduct Lavinia.
(d) She blames him for relying on Venus' help.
5. Why does Turnus think he can beat Aeneas in single combat?
(a) Because Juno will fight alongside him.
(b) Because Jupiter has decreed that he will win.
(c) Because Venus will not be allowed to intervene.
(d) Because Lavinia promises to help him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Virgil do to prepare to talk about the warfare between the Trojans and the Rutulians?
2. Who is Aeneas told will be willing to fight with him against the Latins?
3. How does Diomedes know Aeneas?
4. What is one of Juno's arguments for why it was right for her to have helped the Rutulians?
5. Who fills Tarchon with anger so that he will fight and lead his warriors better?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what conditions does Jupiter allow Juno to remove Turnus from the fight?
2. Why does Juno send Juturna to interfere with the war?
3. What might Evander mean when he says that it isn't empty-headed superstition that leads them to celebrate?
4. What transition occurs around lines 46-47 in Book VII and how does Virgil handle this shift?
5. Who are the princes referred to in the book title, how do they die, and why might their deaths be particularly significant?
6. What are some actions that demonstrate the strong friendship between Nisus and Euryalus?
7. What does the use of Iris as a messenger at the end of Book IX tell the reader about the balance of power between the gods?
8. Why is it significant that in Latinum, Aeneas and some of his followers eat the wheaten cakes they were using as plates for their meal?
9. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians and how do they interpret it?
10. How does Jupiter become involved with the war in Book XI, and does this seem fair after he said before in Book X about being the same king to both Trojans and Rutulians?
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)