|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Arruns kill Camilla?
(a) With a thrown javelin.
(b) In hand-to-hand combat.
(c) He only wounds her.
(d) Accidentally, with a misplaced axe swing.
2. What does King Latinus propose to give to the Trojans?
(a) Chests of treasure.
(b) Turnus' head on a spear.
(c) The battle of a lifetime.
(d) A region of land to settle or ships in which to depart.
3. Which monsters help Vulcan in his forge?
(c) Scylla and Charybdis.
4. What is Iulus' first feat of arms?
(a) He shoots Remulus through the head with an arrow.
(b) He uses his shield to protect another soldier from a rain of arrows.
(c) He cuts down with his sword a Rutulian trying to climb into the Trojan camp.
(d) He fights Turnus with an ax.
5. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians?
(a) Flashes of lightning that spell out Turnus' name in the sky.
(b) Jupiter's golden bird chased off by a group of smaller birds working together after it tries to take a swan.
(c) A crown of flame that encircles Turnus' head.
(d) A horde of snakes that drive the Rutulians closer to the Trojans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the god Saturn give the first people in Latinum to start their civilization?
2. Who is sent by Juno to Turnus at the beginning of Book IX to tell him now is the time to attack the Trojans?
3. What does Juno plan to do in Book VII to stop Aeneas from ruling Italy?
4. Who does Aeneas convince to pledge to fight with him?
5. What pictures are shown on the shield Venus gives to Aeneas?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jupiter become involved with the war in Book XI, and does this seem fair after he said before in Book X about being the same king to both Trojans and Rutulians?
2. How has King Latinus' method of dealing with the war changed since Book VII?
3. Why does Juno send Juturna to interfere with the war?
4. Describe Latinus' actions once he sees his people fighting with the Trojans.
5. How does Venus use references to the Trojan War when meeting with Jupiter at the beginning of Book X?
6. What does Evander tell Aeneas about Latin history?
7. What are some actions that demonstrate the strong friendship between Nisus and Euryalus?
8. What arguments does Sacës use to persuade Turnus to return to the fight?
9. Under what conditions does Jupiter allow Juno to remove Turnus from the fight?
10. Examine the advice and prophecy that Faunus gives his son Latinus. Rewrite in your own words what he is saying.
This section contains 1,287 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)