|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what is Helenus' city a replica?
2. Why does Venus at first think Juno's idea to have Dido and Aeneas marry and rule Carthage side by side is a bad one?
(a) She wants Aeneas to be the sole ruler of Carthage.
(b) She does not think their love will last.
(c) She does not want Italy's future power diverted to Carthage.
(d) She does not think it fair to Dido to make her rule with Aeneas.
3. Who is Andromache's new husband?
4. Why does Palinurus fall overboard?
(a) The boat lurches unexpectedly during a storm sent by Jupiter.
(b) Somnus puts him to sleep and shoves him into the water.
(c) He is drunk while on duty.
(d) He trips over Ascanius and falls.
5. What does Ilioneus ask of Dido?
(a) To help them build a shrine to Venus .
(b) For permission to woo her.
(c) For directions to Troy.
(d) To help them mend their ships or to let them stay in Carthage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Palinurus' ghost ask Aeneas to do when he returns to the world?
2. What does Aeneas see depicted on the walls of the temple that the people of Carthage are building?
3. What kind of countryman is Achaemenidës?
4. Why does Venus send a fake Ascanius to Dido?
5. What happens every time Aeneas tries to tear a branch from a tree in Thrace to construct a roof for the altar of his new colony?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aeneas make sure that people notice his son Iulus?
2. How does Aeneas fare as a leader in Book III? Support your answer with examples from the text.
3. Describe the Sibyl.
4. Describe the "marriage" between Dido and Aeneas.
5. Which gods and goddesses are actually involved in the fall of Troy and what actions do they take?
6. Why is Juno so angry with the Trojans?
7. How does Aeneas feel about having to leave Dido and to what extent does he allow his feelings to influence his decision to leave her?
8. How will Aeneas start the line that turns into the rulers of the Roman Empire?
9. Explain how Deïphobus died and why his body is mutilated.
10. How does talking to Anchises prepare Aeneas to go build a new city for the Trojans in Italy?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)