|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What action does the goddess Rumor take after Dido and Aeneas begin to revel in each others' company?
(a) She travels from country to country telling people that it isn't true that they are together.
(b) She tells the world of their love to encourage everyone to celebrate their union.
(c) She spreads whispers and gossip to make Dido's other suitors angry and jealous.
(d) She tattles to Juno about what they have done.
2. What does Aeneas ask the gods through the Sibyl?
(a) He wants help rebuilding the original Troy.
(b) He wants his father brought back to life.
(c) He wants to settle peacefully in Latium.
(d) He wants revenge on those who ruined Troy.
3. What happens every time Aeneas tries to tear a branch from a tree in Thrace to construct a roof for the altar of his new colony?
(a) Blood flows from the plant.
(b) Fire surrounds his head.
(c) Jupiter's voice thunders above.
(d) Lightning flashes in the sky.
4. Who sends Iris to talk to the mourning Trojan women?
(c) Dido's ghost.
5. For whom does Aeneas return to Troy to search?
(a) His wife, Creusa.
(b) His mother, Venus.
(c) His sworn enemy, Sinon.
(d) His dead king Priam's body.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies at the end of Book 3?
2. How does Nisus try to help his friend Euryalus win first prize in the foot race?
3. Which of the following is NOT an effect of Dido's love for Aeneas?
4. What does Ilioneus ask of Dido?
5. Where do malefactors live in the underworld?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem with Aeneas remaining in Carthage?
2. What sorts of souls live under Cretan Rhadamanthus' rule?
3. What ties Aeneas and his people to the land to which they are headed to settle?
4. What does Jupiter predict will be the destiny of the Trojans?
5. What can you tell about how Aeneas is growing as a leader from his behavior at the funeral games?
6. Describe the Sibyl.
7. How does Aeneas make sure that people notice his son Iulus?
8. Why are Dido's suitors so angry when she takes up with Aeneas?
9. Describe the "marriage" between Dido and Aeneas.
10. Describe the state of construction in Carthage in Book 1.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)