|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Aeneas' appearance a surprise to Dido and the crowd?
(a) He appears wearing women's garb as a disguise.
(b) He appears out of a thinning cloud as if from thin air.
(c) He appears accompanied by the goddess Venus.
(d) He appears swearing vengeance on them all.
2. Who warns the Trojans not to trust in the wooden horse the Danaans left behind?
3. Why does Acestës welcome Aeneas and his followers?
(a) He empathizes with their sufferings.
(b) Jupiter commands him to welcome them.
(c) His mother was Trojan.
(d) He is secretly plotting against them.
4. How does Dido's ghost react to seeing Aeneas?
(a) She flees from him and returns to her first husband, Sychaeus.
(b) She smiles and tells him all is forgiven.
(c) She falls to her knees and pleads with him to take her away with him.
(d) She reenacts her suicide.
5. What portent appears relating to Iulus?
(a) A bird that lands on his left shoulder.
(b) A cloud of smoke that covers up his face.
(c) A tongue of flame on his head.
(d) A snake that wraps around his ankle.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom does Aeneas return to Troy to search?
2. To what does Aeneas attribute Darës' inability to beat Entellus?
3. Who is a figure from Greek and Roman mythology NOT depicted in the temple of Apollo?
4. Who leads Aeneas to the golden bough?
5. Why did Misenus meet an early death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the "marriage" between Dido and Aeneas.
2. Which gods and goddesses are actually involved in the fall of Troy and what actions do they take?
3. How does Aeneas demonstrate skill as a leader after the Trojans finally make it to shore?
4. Describe the Sibyl.
5. What are some instances where Aeneas betrays a hastiness in temperament in Book 2?
6. How does talking to Anchises prepare Aeneas to go build a new city for the Trojans in Italy?
7. Why might the Trojan women have been tempted to set fire to the ships even without Juno and Iris befuddling them?
8. Why is Juno so angry with the Trojans?
9. What instances in Book V reveal how the Trojans feel about burying their dead?
10. Why are Dido's suitors so angry when she takes up with Aeneas?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)