|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does King Iarbas pray to Jove/Jupiter?
(a) He is angry that after he gave Dido land for her city, she has taken up with someone else.
(b) He wants Juno to stop bothering his country.
(c) He wants counsel about how best to attack Dido's lands while she is distracted with Aeneas.
(d) He is good friends with Dido and wants Jupiter to protect her new love.
2. Which of the following is not an effect that Dido says has been caused by her love affair with Aeneas?
(a) Libyans and nomad kings hate her.
(b) Her own people hate her.
(c) She has lost her integrity.
(d) She is stuck with his child to raise.
3. At the beginning of Book V, why is the city behind Aeneas' departing ships bright?
(a) Dido's pyre is burning.
(b) The gods are shedding light on it to bless it.
(c) Dido has lit all the torches to light him on his journey.
(d) DIdo is burning a dummy figure of Aeneas in revenge.
4. How is Anchises spending his time in the underworld?
(a) He is studying the futures and fates of his descendants.
(b) He is lamenting his fate.
(c) He is resting peacefully.
(d) He is trading stories with the founders of Troy.
5. How does Darës get Entellus to fall during their boxing match?
(a) He knocks him out with one solid blow.
(b) He ducks his punch and Entellus topples over.
(c) Entellus makes Darës fall.
(d) He has the advantage of using heavier gloves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Dido's people take on a peaceful mood toward Aeneas' people?
2. How does Anchises act when Aeneas first comes to help him escape?
3. What is remarkable about the boxing gloves of Eryx?
4. What action does the goddess Rumor take after Dido and Aeneas begin to revel in each others' company?
5. What is the job of the Sibyl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fate does Laocoön meet and why?
2. Which gods and goddesses are actually involved in the fall of Troy and what actions do they take?
3. Why is Juno so angry with the Trojans?
4. Why should Aeneas not have tried to found a city in Thrace?
5. What can you tell about how Aeneas is growing as a leader from his behavior at the funeral games?
6. How does Aeneas fare as a leader in Book III? Support your answer with examples from the text.
7. Describe the state of construction in Carthage in Book 1.
8. Explain how Deïphobus died and why his body is mutilated.
9. How does talking to Anchises prepare Aeneas to go build a new city for the Trojans in Italy?
10. Describe the Sibyl.
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)