|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Anchises act when Aeneas first comes to help him escape?
(a) He is crying too hard to get any words out.
(b) He berates Aeneas for not coming to get him sooner.
(c) He is sleeping too soundly to be awakened.
(d) He urges the others to escape and leave him behind.
2. What does Creusa's ghost tell Aeneas?
(a) After years of hard work, he will rebuild Troy in the same place as it once was.
(b) Though he will try to run, he will never escape the Danaans.
(c) If he will only travel to the underworld, he can bring her back to life.
(d) After a long exile, Aeneas will land in Hesperia and rule a new kingdom.
3. What curse does Celaeno lay on the Trojans?
(a) That they will be shipwrecked every time they try to set sail.
(b) That the Trojans will never build their new city until they have experienced famine.
(c) That they will wander the sea forever without finding a new place to settle.
(d) That they will be turned into Harpies as well.
4. Who dies at the end of Book 3?
5. Why does King Iarbas pray to Jove/Jupiter?
(a) He wants Juno to stop bothering his country.
(b) He wants counsel about how best to attack Dido's lands while she is distracted with Aeneas.
(c) He is angry that after he gave Dido land for her city, she has taken up with someone else.
(d) He is good friends with Dido and wants Jupiter to protect her new love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Andromache's new husband?
2. What atrocity does Pyrrhus commit in front of Priam?
3. Which of the following does the Sibyl NOT predict awaits Aeneas where he is going?
4. Why does Venus at first think Juno's idea to have Dido and Aeneas marry and rule Carthage side by side is a bad one?
5. What does Jupiter want from Aeneas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sorts of souls live under Cretan Rhadamanthus' rule?
2. Why are Dido's suitors so angry when she takes up with Aeneas?
3. Why might the Trojan women have been tempted to set fire to the ships even without Juno and Iris befuddling them?
4. Describe the "marriage" between Dido and Aeneas.
5. How does Aeneas feel about having to leave Dido and to what extent does he allow his feelings to influence his decision to leave her?
6. How does Aeneas make sure that people notice his son Iulus?
7. How does Anchises explain the process by which souls become reborn?
8. What message does Anchises give Aeneas in a dream?
9. What does Jupiter predict will be the destiny of the Trojans?
10. How does talking to Anchises prepare Aeneas to go build a new city for the Trojans in Italy?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)