|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nisus try to help his friend Euryalus win first prize in the foot race?
(a) He trips Salius.
(b) He cheers loudly for him.
(c) He discourages others from entering the contest.
(d) He refuses to compete himself.
2. Why does Juno say Venus has made Dido fall in love with Aeneas?
(a) Because Venus was afraid of and wanted to stop the growing power of Carthage.
(b) To keep Dido from falling in love with a Greek.
(c) Because Venus could not bear to see Dido so unhappy.
(d) Because Venus wanted to cheer her son up.
3. Why did Misenus meet an early death?
(a) He looked straight into the Sibyl's eyes.
(b) He ate the fruit of the golden bough.
(c) He pretended he could make music as well as the gods and Triton drowned him.
(d) He went looking for Palinurus under the water and drowned too.
4. What does Ilioneus ask of Dido?
(a) To help them build a shrine to Venus .
(b) For permission to woo her.
(c) For directions to Troy.
(d) To help them mend their ships or to let them stay in Carthage.
5. What hides Aeneas' identity as he travels through Carthage?
(a) A huge bronze shield.
(b) A leather mask.
(c) A magic cape.
(d) A cloud of mist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not an excuse Aeneas offers to Dido for why he must leave her?
2. What action does the goddess Rumor take after Dido and Aeneas begin to revel in each others' company?
3. What atrocity does Pyrrhus commit in front of Priam?
4. Who is a figure from Greek and Roman mythology NOT depicted in the temple of Apollo?
5. How does Aeneas transport Anchises out of Troy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Sibyl.
2. Why might the Trojan women have been tempted to set fire to the ships even without Juno and Iris befuddling them?
3. What fate does Laocoön meet and why?
4. How does talking to Anchises prepare Aeneas to go build a new city for the Trojans in Italy?
5. Describe the state of construction in Carthage in Book 1.
6. What are some instances where Aeneas betrays a hastiness in temperament in Book 2?
7. What does Jupiter predict will be the destiny of the Trojans?
8. What sorts of souls live under Cretan Rhadamanthus' rule?
9. How does Aeneas feel about having to leave Dido and to what extent does he allow his feelings to influence his decision to leave her?
10. Compare and contrast the Greeks with the Trojans in the affair of the wooden horse.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)