|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who calms the ocean so Aeneas and his men can make it safely to land?
2. For whom does Aeneas return to Troy to search?
(a) His mother, Venus.
(b) His sworn enemy, Sinon.
(c) His dead king Priam's body.
(d) His wife, Creusa.
3. What does Sinon claim is the reason he was left behind?
(a) He snuck away because he wants to help the Trojans beat the Danaans.
(b) He escaped before the Danaans could sacrifice him in exchange for good winds home.
(c) He has been sent to the Trojans as an ambassador of peace.
(d) He was left behind to spy on the Trojans.
4. Who will bury Palinurus' body?
(a) People who live near where his body washed up.
5. What does Anchises show Aeneas in the underworld?
(a) Scenes of what his followers are doing at the present moment.
(b) Scenes of his future descendants in Italy.
(c) Scenes from the past history of Troy.
(d) Scenes of what the deities are doing in Olympus.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Danaans get inside the walls of Troy?
2. How does Aeneas put out the burning Trojan ships after the Trojan women set them on fire?
3. What curse does Celaeno lay on the Trojans?
4. What tale does Dido want Aeneas to tell?
5. On what do the gods take oaths that they fear to break?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aeneas demonstrate skill as a leader after the Trojans finally make it to shore?
2. Once Aeneas is definitely leaving, what disagreeable options lay before Dido that make death seem the best choice?
3. How does Anchises explain the process by which souls become reborn?
4. What are some instances where Aeneas betrays a hastiness in temperament in Book 2?
5. Which gods and goddesses are actually involved in the fall of Troy and what actions do they take?
6. Describe the Sibyl.
7. Why are Dido's suitors so angry when she takes up with Aeneas?
8. What message does Anchises give Aeneas in a dream?
9. How does Aeneas fare as a leader in Book III? Support your answer with examples from the text.
10. What qualities of a good queen/leader does Dido exemplify? Cite specific examples from the book in your answer.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)