|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What meaning does Anchises say the portent of four white horses can have?
(a) Both laughter and tears.
(b) Both war and peace.
(c) Both fame and fortune.
(d) Both feast and famine.
2. Why is Aeneas' appearance a surprise to Dido and the crowd?
(a) He appears accompanied by the goddess Venus.
(b) He appears out of a thinning cloud as if from thin air.
(c) He appears swearing vengeance on them all.
(d) He appears wearing women's garb as a disguise.
3. What danger do Aeneas and his men face by Aetna?
(a) A herd of Cyclops.
(b) Another flock of Harpies.
(c) The wrath of Juno.
(d) A group of sirens.
4. Who does Anchises predict will bring and Age of Gold to Latium?
(b) Caesar Augustus.
5. Who will bury Palinurus' body?
(c) People who live near where his body washed up.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not an effect that Dido says has been caused by her love affair with Aeneas?
2. What does Palinurus' ghost ask Aeneas to do when he returns to the world?
3. What does the plague that descends on the new city Aeneas founds at Pergamum tell the settlers?
4. From whom will Julius Caesar get his name?
5. Which of the following is NOT an effect of Dido's love for Aeneas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Evander tell Aeneas about Latin history?
2. What does the use of Iris as a messenger at the end of Book IX tell the reader about the balance of power between the gods?
3. Compare and contrast the Greeks with the Trojans in the affair of the wooden horse.
4. What instances in Book V reveal how the Trojans feel about burying their dead?
5. Describe the state of construction in Carthage in Book 1.
6. How does Jupiter become involved with the war in Book XI, and does this seem fair after he said before in Book X about being the same king to both Trojans and Rutulians?
7. How does Jupiter ensure that Aeneas will win the combat with Turnus?
8. What sorts of souls live under Cretan Rhadamanthus' rule?
9. Under what conditions does Jupiter allow Juno to remove Turnus from the fight?
10. What ties Aeneas and his people to the land to which they are headed to settle?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)