|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What important things has Aeneas carried with him from Troy?
(a) The Phrygian hearth-gods.
(b) Three wooden splinters from the wooden horse.
(c) King Priam's sword and shield.
(d) A herd of beasts to sacrifice to the gods.
2. What does Creusa's ghost tell Aeneas?
(a) If he will only travel to the underworld, he can bring her back to life.
(b) Though he will try to run, he will never escape the Danaans.
(c) After a long exile, Aeneas will land in Hesperia and rule a new kingdom.
(d) After years of hard work, he will rebuild Troy in the same place as it once was.
3. Who uses his or her powers to keep the Trojans lost at sea?
4. What is remarkable about the boxing gloves of Eryx?
(a) He had a rule that no one could use them but him.
(b) They are heavy and huge.
(c) They are unused.
(d) He left them to his half-brother, Aeneas.
5. What do the crowd of refugees expect from Aeneas?
(a) They want him to apologize for letting Troy fall.
(b) They want him to lead them by sea to new lands.
(c) They want him to train them in battle so they can fight the Danaans better.
(d) They want him to lead them in a prayer of thanks for their escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Coroebus' idea for how he, Aeneas, and their companions can pass to safety?
2. Why does Juno say Venus has made Dido fall in love with Aeneas?
3. Why does Venus send a fake Ascanius to Dido?
4. At the beginning of Book V, why is the city behind Aeneas' departing ships bright?
5. Whom does Helenus say Aeneas should visit for advice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which gods and goddesses are actually involved in the fall of Troy and what actions do they take?
2. How does Aeneas demonstrate skill as a leader after the Trojans finally make it to shore?
3. What sorts of souls live under Cretan Rhadamanthus' rule?
4. What does Jupiter predict will be the destiny of the Trojans?
5. Explain how Deïphobus died and why his body is mutilated.
6. What are some ways the characters in Book 2 are affected by fate?
7. What fate does Laocoön meet and why?
8. Describe the state of construction in Carthage in Book 1.
9. Why might the Trojan women have been tempted to set fire to the ships even without Juno and Iris befuddling them?
10. How does Priam compare and contrast Achilles and Pyrrhus?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)