Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who calms the ocean so Aeneas and his men can make it safely to land?
2. Why does Venus at first think Juno's idea to have Dido and Aeneas marry and rule Carthage side by side is a bad one?
(a) She does not think it fair to Dido to make her rule with Aeneas.
(b) She does not think their love will last.
(c) She wants Aeneas to be the sole ruler of Carthage.
(d) She does not want Italy's future power diverted to Carthage.
3. What is Coroebus' idea for how he, Aeneas, and their companions can pass to safety?
(a) They will escape through a secret tunnel under the city.
(b) They will disguise themselves in Greek armor.
(c) They will call on Venus to come save them.
(d) They will hide inside the wooden horse until the Greeks take it back outside.
4. For whom does Aeneas return to Troy to search?
(a) His wife, Creusa.
(b) His sworn enemy, Sinon.
(c) His mother, Venus.
(d) His dead king Priam's body.
5. What does the fake Iulus make Dido forget?
(a) The memory of her dead husband, Sychaeus.
(b) Her responsibilities as queen.
(c) The counsel of her sister.
(d) Her duty to help Aeneas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jupiter want from Aeneas?
2. What does Neptune say must happen for Aeneas and his followers to have save passage over the seas?
3. Which of the following is NOT a type of funeral game?
4. What does Aeneas ask the gods through the Sibyl?
5. Why does Venus send a fake Ascanius to Dido?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reversals of fate has Helenus faced?
2. How has King Latinus' method of dealing with the war changed since Book VII?
3. How might Turnus be turning into a mini-Achilles (as predicted) in Book IX?
4. How does Anchises explain the process by which souls become reborn?
5. What does Dido ask her people to do and what does she personally vow to do before she committed suicide?
6. Describe the Harpies.
7. What does Evander tell Aeneas about Latin history?
8. Once Aeneas is definitely leaving, what disagreeable options lay before Dido that make death seem the best choice?
9. Which gods and goddesses are actually involved in the fall of Troy and what actions do they take?
10. What arguments does Sacës use to persuade Turnus to return to the fight?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)