|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dido know that Aeneas plans to leave?
(a) Aeneas tells her.
(b) Juno tells her.
(c) Rumor tells her.
(d) Jupiter tells her.
2. What curse does Celaeno lay on the Trojans?
(a) That they will be turned into Harpies as well.
(b) That they will wander the sea forever without finding a new place to settle.
(c) That the Trojans will never build their new city until they have experienced famine.
(d) That they will be shipwrecked every time they try to set sail.
3. On what do the gods take oaths that they fear to break?
(a) The Sibyl.
(b) The river Styx.
(c) The golden bough.
(d) Charon's boat.
4. Who tells Aeneas he is in Carthage?
5. When Aeneas and the Trojans land in Sicily at the beginning of Book V, a year has passed since which important event?
(a) The fall of Troy.
(b) The death of Anchises.
(c) Paris taking Helen.
(d) Leaving Dido's city.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Andromache's new husband?
2. What does the fake Iulus make Dido forget?
3. How does Anchises act when Aeneas first comes to help him escape?
4. Why has Dido turned her face against remarriage?
5. What atrocity does Pyrrhus commit in front of Priam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fate does Laocoön meet and why?
2. What instances in Book V reveal how the Trojans feel about burying their dead?
3. What does Evander mean when he tells Aeneas that Aeneas must have the courage to shape himself to fit through the low doorway into Evander's humble home, besides the literal fact that Aeneas is too tall to walk through the doorway without stooping a bit?
4. What are Neptune's feelings toward Troy and toward Aeneas? How do these feelings affect Aeneas' journey on the sea?
5. What suggestions are given in this book as to how the conflict can be resolved?
6. Why is Juno so angry with the Trojans?
7. Describe the Sibyl.
8. Describe how Venus acts as a mother toward Aeneas.
9. Describe the state of construction in Carthage in Book 1.
10. What ties Aeneas and his people to the land to which they are headed to settle?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)