|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sinon say is the purpose of the big wooden horse?
(a) It is an offering to apologize for stealing the Palladium.
(b) It is meant to be fuel for a bonfire when the Danaans return to destroy Troy.
(c) It is a lighthouse to guide the Danaan ships back to Troy.
(d) It is a gift to tell the Trojans they are sorry for attacking Troy.
2. What curse does Celaeno lay on the Trojans?
(a) That the Trojans will never build their new city until they have experienced famine.
(b) That they will be turned into Harpies as well.
(c) That they will wander the sea forever without finding a new place to settle.
(d) That they will be shipwrecked every time they try to set sail.
3. Which of the following is NOT a reason why Anna thinks Dido should make a match with Aeneas?
(a) Dido should enjoy love and children.
(b) Dido's lands are surrounded by hostile people.
(c) Their brother could find and attack them in the future.
(d) It is Jupiter's will.
4. Which of the following must Aeneas do to enter the underworld?
(a) He must pick the golden bough.
(b) He must wrestle the gatekeeper and win.
(c) He must wait for Venus to come take him.
(d) He must find and follow Orpheus down.
5. What does Aeneas think when he spots Helen while Troy is being destroyed all around them?
(a) He feels an impulse to kill her to punish her.
(b) He wants to carry her off and marry her.
(c) He feels pity for her circumstances.
(d) He wants to save her from her fate.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Anchises act when Aeneas first comes to help him escape?
2. Whom does Jupiter send to talk to Aeneas?
3. Who does Anchises predict will bring and Age of Gold to Latium?
4. What happens every time Aeneas tries to tear a branch from a tree in Thrace to construct a roof for the altar of his new colony?
5. Whom does Helenus say Aeneas should visit for advice?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Priam compare and contrast Achilles and Pyrrhus?
2. What can you tell about how Aeneas is growing as a leader from his behavior at the funeral games?
3. What sorts of souls live under Cretan Rhadamanthus' rule?
4. What is the problem with Aeneas remaining in Carthage?
5. Did Nisus and Euryalus act wisely when attempting to carry out their mission? Why or why not?
6. What might Evander mean when he says that it isn't empty-headed superstition that leads them to celebrate?
7. What are Neptune's feelings toward Troy and toward Aeneas? How do these feelings affect Aeneas' journey on the sea?
8. What does Jupiter predict will be the destiny of the Trojans?
9. What does the use of Iris as a messenger at the end of Book IX tell the reader about the balance of power between the gods?
10. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians and how do they interpret it?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)