Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who calms the ocean so Aeneas and his men can make it safely to land?
2. Why does Venus at first think Juno's idea to have Dido and Aeneas marry and rule Carthage side by side is a bad one?
(a) She does not think it fair to Dido to make her rule with Aeneas.
(b) She does not think their love will last.
(c) She wants Aeneas to be the sole ruler of Carthage.
(d) She does not want Italy's future power diverted to Carthage.
3. What is Coroebus' idea for how he, Aeneas, and their companions can pass to safety?
(a) They will escape through a secret tunnel under the city.
(b) They will disguise themselves in Greek armor.
(c) They will call on Venus to come save them.
(d) They will hide inside the wooden horse until the Greeks take it back outside.
4. For whom does Aeneas return to Troy to search?
(a) His wife, Creusa.
(b) His sworn enemy, Sinon.
(c) His mother, Venus.
(d) His dead king Priam's body.
5. What does the fake Iulus make Dido forget?
(a) The memory of her dead husband, Sychaeus.
(b) Her responsibilities as queen.
(c) The counsel of her sister.
(d) Her duty to help Aeneas.
6. What does Jupiter want from Aeneas?
(a) For Aeneas to stop being distracted by Dido and her city and go build his own kingdom.
(b) He wants Aeneas to do the right thing and marry Dido properly.
(c) He wants Aeneas to stop praying to him.
(d) He wants Aeneas to help Dido build Carthage into the finest city in the world.
7. What does Neptune say must happen for Aeneas and his followers to have save passage over the seas?
(a) One life must be sacrificed.
(b) Aeneas must promise not to go to Italy.
(c) Venus must sail with them.
(d) Aeneas must find and give a pair of perfect horses to Neptune.
8. Which of the following is NOT a type of funeral game?
(a) A foot race.
(b) A chariot race.
(c) Javelin and archery contests.
(d) A ship race.
9. What does Aeneas ask the gods through the Sibyl?
(a) He wants to settle peacefully in Latium.
(b) He wants help rebuilding the original Troy.
(c) He wants revenge on those who ruined Troy.
(d) He wants his father brought back to life.
10. Why does Venus send a fake Ascanius to Dido?
(a) To charm her into loving Aeneas.
(b) To learn what Dido's true thoughts about the Trojans are.
(c) To destroy the Trojans.
(d) To win a bet with Jupiter.
11. Which of the following is not an effect that Dido says has been caused by her love affair with Aeneas?
(a) Her own people hate her.
(b) She is stuck with his child to raise.
(c) She has lost her integrity.
(d) Libyans and nomad kings hate her.
12. At the beginning of Book V, why is the city behind Aeneas' departing ships bright?
(a) Dido has lit all the torches to light him on his journey.
(b) Dido's pyre is burning.
(c) The gods are shedding light on it to bless it.
(d) DIdo is burning a dummy figure of Aeneas in revenge.
13. Why did the Trojans think the Danaans had left?
(a) The Danaans hid their ships behind a nearby island.
(b) The Danaans sent a letter announcing that they were leaving.
(c) The Danaans surrendered and promised to go.
(d) The Danaans set fire to their campsite and let it burn to the ground.
14. Who uses his or her powers to keep the Trojans lost at sea?
15. Who appears in a dream to warn Aeneas to flee Troy?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does the Sibyl NOT predict awaits Aeneas where he is going?
2. How does Anchises act when Aeneas first comes to help him escape?
3. What omen does everyone witness when Acestës is shooting arrows?
4. Whom does Jupiter send to talk to Aeneas?
5. Where does Anchises think the voice in the temple is telling them to go build their new city?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)