|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Polydorus die?
(a) Attacked and smothered by plants.
(b) Killed in a battle during the siege of Troy.
(c) Sickened by a terrible plague.
(d) Murdered by his host, the Thracian king, for the gold he held.
2. When Dido sees Aeneas' men readying their ships to sail, for what does she plead?
(a) That they sabotage the ships to keep Aeneas in Carthage.
(b) For them to leave plans with her people for how to build such wonderful ships.
(c) That they take her sister Anna with them as a guide.
(d) For Aeneas to wait to sail until the weather is better.
3. How do the Danaans get inside the walls of Troy?
(a) While the Trojans are busy looking at the horse, the Danaans storm the front gates of Troy.
(b) The Trojans move the horse next to their walls and the soldiers use it as a ladder.
(c) The Trojans carry the horse inside and Sinon lets the soldiers inside it out.
(d) The Danaans are still unable to breach the walls of Troy.
4. What tale does Dido want Aeneas to tell?
(a) What happened to Odysseus during his Odyssey.
(b) How his parents met and had hims
(c) The story of Eros and Psyche.
(d) How Troy fell and how the Trojans traveled to Carthage.
5. What kind of countryman is Achaemenidës?
6. What does Creusa's ghost tell Aeneas?
(a) After a long exile, Aeneas will land in Hesperia and rule a new kingdom.
(b) Though he will try to run, he will never escape the Danaans.
(c) After years of hard work, he will rebuild Troy in the same place as it once was.
(d) If he will only travel to the underworld, he can bring her back to life.
7. What does Neptune say must happen for Aeneas and his followers to have save passage over the seas?
(a) Venus must sail with them.
(b) Aeneas must find and give a pair of perfect horses to Neptune.
(c) Aeneas must promise not to go to Italy.
(d) One life must be sacrificed.
8. Who calms the ocean so Aeneas and his men can make it safely to land?
9. What does Anchises pray to the gods for?
(a) For the strength to stand up and run.
(b) To punish Aeneas for not protecting the city better.
(c) To take revenge on the Greeks for sacking Troy.
(d) To keep his grandson Iulus safe.
10. What omen does everyone witness when Acestës is shooting arrows?
(a) There is a flash of lightning followed by a clap of thunder.
(b) It begins to rain.
(c) A rainbow appears in the sky.
(d) His arrow makes a trail of flame and burns away to nothing.
11. What does the plague that descends on the new city Aeneas founds at Pergamum tell the settlers?
(a) That they are being punished for not defending Troy better.
(b) That this is the wrong coast to settle and that they should leave for other lands.
(c) That the gods wish to make the city stronger by weeding out the weak.
(d) That the settlers must practice better hygiene.
12. What action does the goddess Rumor take after Dido and Aeneas begin to revel in each others' company?
(a) She tattles to Juno about what they have done.
(b) She travels from country to country telling people that it isn't true that they are together.
(c) She spreads whispers and gossip to make Dido's other suitors angry and jealous.
(d) She tells the world of their love to encourage everyone to celebrate their union.
13. For whom does Aeneas return to Troy to search?
(a) His wife, Creusa.
(b) His sworn enemy, Sinon.
(c) His dead king Priam's body.
(d) His mother, Venus.
14. Why has Dido turned her face against remarriage?
(a) Her brother killed her last husband.
(b) She does not want any man taking over her kingdom.
(c) She must wait until her sister Anna gets married first.
(d) She is pledged to Diana.
15. What does Jupiter want from Aeneas?
(a) He wants Aeneas to do the right thing and marry Dido properly.
(b) He wants Aeneas to stop praying to him.
(c) He wants Aeneas to help Dido build Carthage into the finest city in the world.
(d) For Aeneas to stop being distracted by Dido and her city and go build his own kingdom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Juno say Venus has made Dido fall in love with Aeneas?
2. What does Jupiter predict awaits Aeneas in Italy?
3. How does Aeneas transport Anchises out of Troy?
4. To what does Aeneas attribute Darës' inability to beat Entellus?
5. What is remarkable about the boxing gloves of Eryx?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)