|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ilioneus ask of Dido?
(a) For directions to Troy.
(b) For permission to woo her.
(c) To help them build a shrine to Venus .
(d) To help them mend their ships or to let them stay in Carthage.
2. How is Anchises spending his time in the underworld?
(a) He is lamenting his fate.
(b) He is resting peacefully.
(c) He is studying the futures and fates of his descendants.
(d) He is trading stories with the founders of Troy.
3. What does Palinurus' ghost ask Aeneas to do when he returns to the world?
(a) Never to let Achates helm the boat.
(b) To avenge his death.
(c) To do anything to make Iulus a king.
(d) To find and bury his body.
4. Who warns the Trojans not to trust in the wooden horse the Danaans left behind?
5. Which of the following is not an effect that Dido says has been caused by her love affair with Aeneas?
(a) She is stuck with his child to raise.
(b) She has lost her integrity.
(c) Her own people hate her.
(d) Libyans and nomad kings hate her.
6. Who tells Aeneas he is in Carthage?
7. What curse does Celaeno lay on the Trojans?
(a) That they will wander the sea forever without finding a new place to settle.
(b) That they will be shipwrecked every time they try to set sail.
(c) That the Trojans will never build their new city until they have experienced famine.
(d) That they will be turned into Harpies as well.
8. From whom will Julius Caesar get his name?
(a) Aeneas' son Ascanius, renamed Iulus.
(b) Aeneas' daughter Creusa, renamed Julia.
(c) Aeneas' grandfather, Ilium.
(d) Aeneas' sister, Ilia.
9. How does Aeneas transport Anchises out of Troy?
(a) In a wheeled cart.
(b) On a stretcher after the Danaans wound him.
(c) By pulling him along by the hand.
(d) On his back.
10. Which of the following is NOT a type of funeral game?
(a) A foot race.
(b) Javelin and archery contests.
(c) A chariot race.
(d) A ship race.
11. Why did the Trojans think the Danaans had left?
(a) The Danaans hid their ships behind a nearby island.
(b) The Danaans sent a letter announcing that they were leaving.
(c) The Danaans surrendered and promised to go.
(d) The Danaans set fire to their campsite and let it burn to the ground.
12. What sign does Aeneas see during the ritual for his father?
(a) A flash of lightning.
(b) A snake.
(c) A tongue of fire.
(d) A cloud.
13. What prize is Nisus given by Aeneas?
(a) sturdy shoes.
(b) A shield.
(c) A vial of precious oil.
(d) A new boat.
14. What does Anchises pray to the gods for?
(a) To punish Aeneas for not protecting the city better.
(b) To keep his grandson Iulus safe.
(c) For the strength to stand up and run.
(d) To take revenge on the Greeks for sacking Troy.
15. How does Nisus try to help his friend Euryalus win first prize in the foot race?
(a) He discourages others from entering the contest.
(b) He refuses to compete himself.
(c) He cheers loudly for him.
(d) He trips Salius.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Helenus' city a replica?
2. What is Aetna?
3. What does the plague that descends on the new city Aeneas founds at Pergamum tell the settlers?
4. What does Creusa's ghost tell Aeneas?
5. What does Dido tell Aeneas she will do after he leaves?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)