|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sends Iris to talk to the mourning Trojan women?
(a) Dido's ghost.
2. How does Dido know that Aeneas plans to leave?
(a) Jupiter tells her.
(b) Juno tells her.
(c) Rumor tells her.
(d) Aeneas tells her.
3. For whom does Aeneas return to Troy to search?
(a) His dead king Priam's body.
(b) His sworn enemy, Sinon.
(c) His mother, Venus.
(d) His wife, Creusa.
4. Who will bury Palinurus' body?
(d) People who live near where his body washed up.
5. Who blinded Polyphemus?
(b) the Furies.
(c) Ulysses and his crewmen.
6. Whom does Jupiter send to talk to Aeneas?
7. Which of the following is not an excuse Aeneas offers to Dido for why he must leave her?
(a) His fate, oracles, and dreams all tell him he must go found a city.
(b) His men cannot protect her and Carthage adequately.
(c) A messenger from Jupiter commands him to go against his will.
(d) He is not being deceitful because he never entered a pact of marriage with her.
8. How does Dido's ghost react to seeing Aeneas?
(a) She falls to her knees and pleads with him to take her away with him.
(b) She reenacts her suicide.
(c) She flees from him and returns to her first husband, Sychaeus.
(d) She smiles and tells him all is forgiven.
9. How is Anchises spending his time in the underworld?
(a) He is trading stories with the founders of Troy.
(b) He is studying the futures and fates of his descendants.
(c) He is lamenting his fate.
(d) He is resting peacefully.
10. What do the crowd of refugees expect from Aeneas?
(a) They want him to apologize for letting Troy fall.
(b) They want him to train them in battle so they can fight the Danaans better.
(c) They want him to lead them by sea to new lands.
(d) They want him to lead them in a prayer of thanks for their escape.
11. To what does Aeneas attribute Darës' inability to beat Entellus?
(a) Darës' lack of skill.
(b) The changed will of the gods.
(c) The fact that Darës does not want to win badly enough.
(d) The inadequate gloves Darës is using.
12. What does the fake Iulus make Dido forget?
(a) Her duty to help Aeneas.
(b) Her responsibilities as queen.
(c) The memory of her dead husband, Sychaeus.
(d) The counsel of her sister.
13. How did Polydorus die?
(a) Murdered by his host, the Thracian king, for the gold he held.
(b) Killed in a battle during the siege of Troy.
(c) Sickened by a terrible plague.
(d) Attacked and smothered by plants.
14. Which of the following does the Sibyl NOT predict awaits Aeneas where he is going?
(a) Vicious wars.
(b) The death of Ascanius.
(c) Continued harassment from Juno.
(d) Marriage with a foreign bride.
15. What does Jupiter predict awaits Aeneas in Italy?
(a) Death and betrayal.
(b) A happy marriage with Queen Dido.
(c) A rematch with the same soldiers that destroyed Troy.
(d) A massive war followed by the establishment of a new city and a new way of life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What omen does everyone witness when Acestës is shooting arrows?
2. Who appears in a dream to warn Aeneas to flee Troy?
3. How does Aeneas put out the burning Trojan ships after the Trojan women set them on fire?
4. Why does Juno say Venus has made Dido fall in love with Aeneas?
5. What does Anchises show Aeneas in the underworld?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)