|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dido kill herself?
(a) With a sword.
(b) With poison.
(c) With a lion bite.
(d) By drowning.
2. Which of the following is NOT something Helenus advises Aeneas and his followers to do?
(a) To look for a sign--a giant white sow nursing a litter of piglets.
(b) To watch out for Scylla and Charybdis.
(c) To make prayers and sacrifices to Juno.
(d) To head for the shoreline to the west.
3. On what do the gods take oaths that they fear to break?
(a) Charon's boat.
(b) The golden bough.
(c) The Sibyl.
(d) The river Styx.
4. How does Darës get Entellus to fall during their boxing match?
(a) He knocks him out with one solid blow.
(b) He ducks his punch and Entellus topples over.
(c) He has the advantage of using heavier gloves.
(d) Entellus makes Darës fall.
5. Why is Aeneas' appearance a surprise to Dido and the crowd?
(a) He appears out of a thinning cloud as if from thin air.
(b) He appears accompanied by the goddess Venus.
(c) He appears swearing vengeance on them all.
(d) He appears wearing women's garb as a disguise.
6. Where do malefactors live in the underworld?
(a) In the Blessed Groves.
(c) In the River Styx.
7. How did Polydorus die?
(a) Sickened by a terrible plague.
(b) Murdered by his host, the Thracian king, for the gold he held.
(c) Killed in a battle during the siege of Troy.
(d) Attacked and smothered by plants.
8. To what does Aeneas attribute Darës' inability to beat Entellus?
(a) The inadequate gloves Darës is using.
(b) The changed will of the gods.
(c) Darës' lack of skill.
(d) The fact that Darës does not want to win badly enough.
9. Who does Venus send to Carthage disguised as Aeneas' son?
(b) A huntress.
(c) Her son, Cupid.
10. Who travels with Aeneas to check out the place where they have landed?
11. Where does Anchises think the voice in the temple is telling them to go build their new city?
12. What does Jupiter want from Aeneas?
(a) He wants Aeneas to do the right thing and marry Dido properly.
(b) He wants Aeneas to stop praying to him.
(c) For Aeneas to stop being distracted by Dido and her city and go build his own kingdom.
(d) He wants Aeneas to help Dido build Carthage into the finest city in the world.
13. Why did Dido's people take on a peaceful mood toward Aeneas' people?
(a) Queen Dido commanded them to welcome all new visitors.
(b) They were visited by Mercury.
(c) They had heard great things about the Trojans from the Greeks.
(d) They were well known for always welcoming new people.
14. What is Aetna?
(a) A large river.
(b) A volcano.
(c) A huge waterfall.
(d) A geyser that sprays from the ground.
15. How does Dido know that Aeneas plans to leave?
(a) Juno tells her.
(b) Jupiter tells her.
(c) Aeneas tells her.
(d) Rumor tells her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Trojans think the Danaans had left?
2. Who is the deity in charge of marriage?
3. What portent appears relating to Iulus?
4. Who tells Aeneas he is in Carthage?
5. Who is a figure from Greek and Roman mythology NOT depicted in the temple of Apollo?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)