|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Venus send to Carthage disguised as Aeneas' son?
(a) A huntress.
(c) Her son, Cupid.
2. Where does Anchises think the voice in the temple is telling them to go build their new city?
3. What does Creusa's ghost tell Aeneas?
(a) If he will only travel to the underworld, he can bring her back to life.
(b) After a long exile, Aeneas will land in Hesperia and rule a new kingdom.
(c) Though he will try to run, he will never escape the Danaans.
(d) After years of hard work, he will rebuild Troy in the same place as it once was.
4. Which of the following is not an effect that Dido says has been caused by her love affair with Aeneas?
(a) She has lost her integrity.
(b) She is stuck with his child to raise.
(c) Libyans and nomad kings hate her.
(d) Her own people hate her.
5. What prize is Nisus given by Aeneas?
(a) A vial of precious oil.
(b) A new boat.
(c) sturdy shoes.
(d) A shield.
6. How does Darës get Entellus to fall during their boxing match?
(a) He ducks his punch and Entellus topples over.
(b) He has the advantage of using heavier gloves.
(c) He knocks him out with one solid blow.
(d) Entellus makes Darës fall.
7. Who uses his or her powers to keep the Trojans lost at sea?
8. What does Jupiter predict awaits Aeneas in Italy?
(a) Death and betrayal.
(b) A rematch with the same soldiers that destroyed Troy.
(c) A massive war followed by the establishment of a new city and a new way of life.
(d) A happy marriage with Queen Dido.
9. How is Anchises spending his time in the underworld?
(a) He is lamenting his fate.
(b) He is studying the futures and fates of his descendants.
(c) He is trading stories with the founders of Troy.
(d) He is resting peacefully.
10. Whom does Jupiter send to talk to Aeneas?
11. What does Jupiter want from Aeneas?
(a) For Aeneas to stop being distracted by Dido and her city and go build his own kingdom.
(b) He wants Aeneas to do the right thing and marry Dido properly.
(c) He wants Aeneas to help Dido build Carthage into the finest city in the world.
(d) He wants Aeneas to stop praying to him.
12. What does Aeneas promise to do if the gods grant his wish?
(a) He will make a sacrifice to Juno.
(b) He will build a temple to Phoebus and Diana of the Crossroads.
(c) He will honor his mother Venus more.
(d) He will name his new city after Jupiter.
13. What kind of countryman is Achaemenidës?
14. How does Dido's ghost react to seeing Aeneas?
(a) She reenacts her suicide.
(b) She falls to her knees and pleads with him to take her away with him.
(c) She smiles and tells him all is forgiven.
(d) She flees from him and returns to her first husband, Sychaeus.
15. Who is a figure from Greek and Roman mythology NOT depicted in the temple of Apollo?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Aeneas and his people supposed to settle in Hesperia?
2. What hides Aeneas' identity as he travels through Carthage?
3. Which of the following is NOT a reason why Anna thinks Dido should make a match with Aeneas?
4. What action does the goddess Rumor take after Dido and Aeneas begin to revel in each others' company?
5. What does Palinurus' ghost ask Aeneas to do when he returns to the world?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)