|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Aeneas and the Trojans land in Sicily at the beginning of Book V, a year has passed since which important event?
(a) The death of Anchises.
(b) The fall of Troy.
(c) Leaving Dido's city.
(d) Paris taking Helen.
2. What sign does Aeneas see during the ritual for his father?
(a) A flash of lightning.
(b) A tongue of fire.
(c) A cloud.
(d) A snake.
3. When Dido sees Aeneas' men readying their ships to sail, for what does she plead?
(a) That they take her sister Anna with them as a guide.
(b) For them to leave plans with her people for how to build such wonderful ships.
(c) For Aeneas to wait to sail until the weather is better.
(d) That they sabotage the ships to keep Aeneas in Carthage.
4. What hides Aeneas' identity as he travels through Carthage?
(a) A cloud of mist.
(b) A magic cape.
(c) A leather mask.
(d) A huge bronze shield.
5. What does Creusa's ghost tell Aeneas?
(a) After years of hard work, he will rebuild Troy in the same place as it once was.
(b) Though he will try to run, he will never escape the Danaans.
(c) After a long exile, Aeneas will land in Hesperia and rule a new kingdom.
(d) If he will only travel to the underworld, he can bring her back to life.
6. Which of the following is NOT something Helenus advises Aeneas and his followers to do?
(a) To head for the shoreline to the west.
(b) To make prayers and sacrifices to Juno.
(c) To watch out for Scylla and Charybdis.
(d) To look for a sign--a giant white sow nursing a litter of piglets.
7. Where does Anchises think the voice in the temple is telling them to go build their new city?
8. Why does Juno say Venus has made Dido fall in love with Aeneas?
(a) Because Venus was afraid of and wanted to stop the growing power of Carthage.
(b) Because Venus wanted to cheer her son up.
(c) Because Venus could not bear to see Dido so unhappy.
(d) To keep Dido from falling in love with a Greek.
9. What reason does Entellus give for why he didn't volunteer immediately to fight Darës?
(a) He is getting older and his body is slower than it was.
(b) He didn't want to take the chance to fight Darës away from Acestës.
(c) He would be embarrased to lose to Darës.
(d) He no longer believes that fighting is a good thing to do.
10. How does Dido know that Aeneas plans to leave?
(a) Jupiter tells her.
(b) Juno tells her.
(c) Rumor tells her.
(d) Aeneas tells her.
11. What atrocity does Pyrrhus commit in front of Priam?
(a) He sets fire to a holy altar.
(b) He takes away Priam's sword.
(c) He claims to be Priam's son.
(d) He murders Priam's son.
12. What does Aeneas see depicted on the walls of the temple that the people of Carthage are building?
(a) A map to the underworld.
(b) Portraits of monsters such as the Harpies and the Cyclops.
(c) Scenes of the Trojan War.
(d) Pictures of the gods and goddesses quarreling in Olympus.
13. What does Jupiter predict awaits Aeneas in Italy?
(a) A happy marriage with Queen Dido.
(b) Death and betrayal.
(c) A rematch with the same soldiers that destroyed Troy.
(d) A massive war followed by the establishment of a new city and a new way of life.
14. Who warns the Trojans not to trust in the wooden horse the Danaans left behind?
15. Who blinded Polyphemus?
(a) Ulysses and his crewmen.
(d) the Furies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what does Venus say is the cause of the fall of Troy?
2. Why does Acestës welcome Aeneas and his followers?
3. What omen does everyone witness when Acestës is shooting arrows?
4. For whom does Aeneas return to Troy to search?
5. Why is Aeneas' appearance a surprise to Dido and the crowd?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)