|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Danaans get inside the walls of Troy?
(a) The Trojans move the horse next to their walls and the soldiers use it as a ladder.
(b) The Trojans carry the horse inside and Sinon lets the soldiers inside it out.
(c) The Danaans are still unable to breach the walls of Troy.
(d) While the Trojans are busy looking at the horse, the Danaans storm the front gates of Troy.
2. Who calms the ocean so Aeneas and his men can make it safely to land?
3. Who or what does Venus say is the cause of the fall of Troy?
(a) the Trojans for letting the Danaans trick them.
(b) Priam for being too proud.
(c) Helen and Paris for running away together.
(d) The harsh will of the gods.
4. Which of the following is NOT an effect of Dido's love for Aeneas?
(a) Dido presses herself against the couch where Aeneas sat.
(b) All construction of the city of Carthage stops.
(c) Dido keeps holding Ascanius on her lap because he looks like Aeneas.
(d) Dido persuades Aeneas to help her people build better ships.
5. When Dido sees Aeneas' men readying their ships to sail, for what does she plead?
(a) That they take her sister Anna with them as a guide.
(b) For them to leave plans with her people for how to build such wonderful ships.
(c) That they sabotage the ships to keep Aeneas in Carthage.
(d) For Aeneas to wait to sail until the weather is better.
6. When Aeneas and the Trojans land in Sicily at the beginning of Book V, a year has passed since which important event?
(a) The death of Anchises.
(b) The fall of Troy.
(c) Leaving Dido's city.
(d) Paris taking Helen.
7. What does Sinon say is the purpose of the big wooden horse?
(a) It is a gift to tell the Trojans they are sorry for attacking Troy.
(b) It is an offering to apologize for stealing the Palladium.
(c) It is meant to be fuel for a bonfire when the Danaans return to destroy Troy.
(d) It is a lighthouse to guide the Danaan ships back to Troy.
8. Who tells Aeneas he is in Carthage?
9. How does Anchises act when Aeneas first comes to help him escape?
(a) He is crying too hard to get any words out.
(b) He berates Aeneas for not coming to get him sooner.
(c) He urges the others to escape and leave him behind.
(d) He is sleeping too soundly to be awakened.
10. What does Aeneas see depicted on the walls of the temple that the people of Carthage are building?
(a) Portraits of monsters such as the Harpies and the Cyclops.
(b) Scenes of the Trojan War.
(c) Pictures of the gods and goddesses quarreling in Olympus.
(d) A map to the underworld.
11. Why does Acestës welcome Aeneas and his followers?
(a) He empathizes with their sufferings.
(b) He is secretly plotting against them.
(c) His mother was Trojan.
(d) Jupiter commands him to welcome them.
12. What do the crowd of refugees expect from Aeneas?
(a) They want him to train them in battle so they can fight the Danaans better.
(b) They want him to lead them in a prayer of thanks for their escape.
(c) They want him to lead them by sea to new lands.
(d) They want him to apologize for letting Troy fall.
13. What happens when souls are destined to be reborn in a second body?
(a) They must petition the kind of the underworld to be reborn.
(b) They must craft new bodies for themselves.
(c) They must sneak past Charon.
(d) They must drink from the water of Lethe to forget their memories.
14. What important things has Aeneas carried with him from Troy?
(a) A herd of beasts to sacrifice to the gods.
(b) The Phrygian hearth-gods.
(c) King Priam's sword and shield.
(d) Three wooden splinters from the wooden horse.
15. What danger do Aeneas and his men face by Aetna?
(a) Another flock of Harpies.
(b) A herd of Cyclops.
(c) A group of sirens.
(d) The wrath of Juno.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Aeneas and his people supposed to settle in Hesperia?
2. What does Neptune say must happen for Aeneas and his followers to have save passage over the seas?
3. What reason does Entellus give for why he didn't volunteer immediately to fight Darës?
4. What does the fake Iulus make Dido forget?
5. Which of the following is NOT a type of funeral game?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)