|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what is Helenus' city a replica?
2. Why has Dido turned her face against remarriage?
(a) She must wait until her sister Anna gets married first.
(b) She is pledged to Diana.
(c) Her brother killed her last husband.
(d) She does not want any man taking over her kingdom.
3. What does Anchises pray to the gods for?
(a) For the strength to stand up and run.
(b) To take revenge on the Greeks for sacking Troy.
(c) To keep his grandson Iulus safe.
(d) To punish Aeneas for not protecting the city better.
4. What is the job of the Sibyl?
(a) To advise people on what jobs to take.
(b) To give directions on where to go.
(c) To tell people what will happen.
(d) To guard a special cave entrance.
5. What does Dido tell Aeneas she will do after he leaves?
(a) Follow him to kill him.
(b) Haunt him as a spirit after she dies.
(c) Marry a neighboring king to keep her lands safe.
(d) Construct a temple in his honor.
6. Whom does Helenus say Aeneas should visit for advice?
(b) The sibyl of Cumae.
7. What does Aeneas tell the ghost of Dido?
(a) That she should have waited becauase he was coming back for her.
(b) That he left her lands against his will.
(c) That he can bring her back to life now.
(d) That he needs her help to find his father's ghost.
8. Who does Anchises predict will bring and Age of Gold to Latium?
(b) Caesar Augustus.
9. How does Darës get Entellus to fall during their boxing match?
(a) He has the advantage of using heavier gloves.
(b) Entellus makes Darës fall.
(c) He ducks his punch and Entellus topples over.
(d) He knocks him out with one solid blow.
10. What is Coroebus' idea for how he, Aeneas, and their companions can pass to safety?
(a) They will escape through a secret tunnel under the city.
(b) They will disguise themselves in Greek armor.
(c) They will hide inside the wooden horse until the Greeks take it back outside.
(d) They will call on Venus to come save them.
11. What danger do Aeneas and his men face by Aetna?
(a) Another flock of Harpies.
(b) A herd of Cyclops.
(c) A group of sirens.
(d) The wrath of Juno.
12. What does the plague that descends on the new city Aeneas founds at Pergamum tell the settlers?
(a) That the settlers must practice better hygiene.
(b) That the gods wish to make the city stronger by weeding out the weak.
(c) That they are being punished for not defending Troy better.
(d) That this is the wrong coast to settle and that they should leave for other lands.
13. Why does Acestës welcome Aeneas and his followers?
(a) He empathizes with their sufferings.
(b) Jupiter commands him to welcome them.
(c) His mother was Trojan.
(d) He is secretly plotting against them.
14. Which of the following is not an excuse Aeneas offers to Dido for why he must leave her?
(a) He is not being deceitful because he never entered a pact of marriage with her.
(b) His fate, oracles, and dreams all tell him he must go found a city.
(c) A messenger from Jupiter commands him to go against his will.
(d) His men cannot protect her and Carthage adequately.
15. After first meeting Dido, what does Aeneas send for from his ships?
(a) For weapons to surrender them up to Dido's people.
(b) For his son Ascanius and for gifts for Carthage.
(c) For his best toga and shield.
(d) For his father Anchises and his medicine.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Aeneas transport Anchises out of Troy?
2. Why did the Trojans think the Danaans had left?
3. Where does Anchises think the voice in the temple is telling them to go build their new city?
4. From whom will Julius Caesar get his name?
5. What does Sinon say is the purpose of the big wooden horse?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)