|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the job of the Sibyl?
(a) To guard a special cave entrance.
(b) To tell people what will happen.
(c) To give directions on where to go.
(d) To advise people on what jobs to take.
2. How does Nisus try to help his friend Euryalus win first prize in the foot race?
(a) He discourages others from entering the contest.
(b) He cheers loudly for him.
(c) He refuses to compete himself.
(d) He trips Salius.
3. What happens when souls are destined to be reborn in a second body?
(a) They must craft new bodies for themselves.
(b) They must drink from the water of Lethe to forget their memories.
(c) They must petition the kind of the underworld to be reborn.
(d) They must sneak past Charon.
4. What does Aeneas see depicted on the walls of the temple that the people of Carthage are building?
(a) Scenes of the Trojan War.
(b) Pictures of the gods and goddesses quarreling in Olympus.
(c) Portraits of monsters such as the Harpies and the Cyclops.
(d) A map to the underworld.
5. Who appears in a dream to warn Aeneas to flee Troy?
6. Who is Andromache's new husband?
7. Which of the following must Aeneas do to enter the underworld?
(a) He must pick the golden bough.
(b) He must wrestle the gatekeeper and win.
(c) He must find and follow Orpheus down.
(d) He must wait for Venus to come take him.
8. Why does Venus at first think Juno's idea to have Dido and Aeneas marry and rule Carthage side by side is a bad one?
(a) She does not think their love will last.
(b) She does not want Italy's future power diverted to Carthage.
(c) She does not think it fair to Dido to make her rule with Aeneas.
(d) She wants Aeneas to be the sole ruler of Carthage.
9. Where do malefactors live in the underworld?
(a) In the Blessed Groves.
(d) In the River Styx.
10. What does Jupiter predict awaits Aeneas in Italy?
(a) A happy marriage with Queen Dido.
(b) A massive war followed by the establishment of a new city and a new way of life.
(c) A rematch with the same soldiers that destroyed Troy.
(d) Death and betrayal.
11. After first meeting Dido, what does Aeneas send for from his ships?
(a) For his son Ascanius and for gifts for Carthage.
(b) For weapons to surrender them up to Dido's people.
(c) For his best toga and shield.
(d) For his father Anchises and his medicine.
12. What does Jupiter want from Aeneas?
(a) He wants Aeneas to stop praying to him.
(b) He wants Aeneas to do the right thing and marry Dido properly.
(c) He wants Aeneas to help Dido build Carthage into the finest city in the world.
(d) For Aeneas to stop being distracted by Dido and her city and go build his own kingdom.
13. Why did the Trojans think the Danaans had left?
(a) The Danaans set fire to their campsite and let it burn to the ground.
(b) The Danaans surrendered and promised to go.
(c) The Danaans hid their ships behind a nearby island.
(d) The Danaans sent a letter announcing that they were leaving.
14. Who travels with Aeneas to check out the place where they have landed?
15. Who sends Iris to talk to the mourning Trojan women?
(d) Dido's ghost.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads Aeneas to the golden bough?
2. Of what is Helenus' city a replica?
3. Who does Anchises predict will bring and Age of Gold to Latium?
4. What happens to everything the Harpies touch?
5. From whom will Julius Caesar get his name?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)