|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Dido and Aeneas become "married"?
(a) On a boat at sea.
(b) At the ruins of Troy.
(c) In a cave.
(d) At the altar of Juno.
2. Who blinded Polyphemus?
(b) the Furies.
(d) Ulysses and his crewmen.
3. What is the job of the Sibyl?
(a) To tell people what will happen.
(b) To guard a special cave entrance.
(c) To give directions on where to go.
(d) To advise people on what jobs to take.
4. Why did Dido's people take on a peaceful mood toward Aeneas' people?
(a) They had heard great things about the Trojans from the Greeks.
(b) They were well known for always welcoming new people.
(c) Queen Dido commanded them to welcome all new visitors.
(d) They were visited by Mercury.
5. What does Ilioneus ask of Dido?
(a) For directions to Troy.
(b) To help them mend their ships or to let them stay in Carthage.
(c) To help them build a shrine to Venus .
(d) For permission to woo her.
6. How does Dido know that Aeneas plans to leave?
(a) Rumor tells her.
(b) Juno tells her.
(c) Aeneas tells her.
(d) Jupiter tells her.
7. What does Anchises show Aeneas in the underworld?
(a) Scenes of what his followers are doing at the present moment.
(b) Scenes of what the deities are doing in Olympus.
(c) Scenes from the past history of Troy.
(d) Scenes of his future descendants in Italy.
8. What is Aetna?
(a) A volcano.
(b) A huge waterfall.
(c) A large river.
(d) A geyser that sprays from the ground.
9. What does Aeneas promise to do if the gods grant his wish?
(a) He will name his new city after Jupiter.
(b) He will make a sacrifice to Juno.
(c) He will build a temple to Phoebus and Diana of the Crossroads.
(d) He will honor his mother Venus more.
10. What does Jupiter predict awaits Aeneas in Italy?
(a) A rematch with the same soldiers that destroyed Troy.
(b) A massive war followed by the establishment of a new city and a new way of life.
(c) Death and betrayal.
(d) A happy marriage with Queen Dido.
11. Why are Aeneas and his people supposed to settle in Hesperia?
(a) It is their true home, the land from which the forefathers of their people came.
(b) It is Venus' land and she promises it to them.
(c) The Greeks will never be able to find and attack them there.
(d) They only have enough food to make it that far.
12. Why does Acestës welcome Aeneas and his followers?
(a) Jupiter commands him to welcome them.
(b) He is secretly plotting against them.
(c) He empathizes with their sufferings.
(d) His mother was Trojan.
13. Why does King Iarbas pray to Jove/Jupiter?
(a) He is good friends with Dido and wants Jupiter to protect her new love.
(b) He wants Juno to stop bothering his country.
(c) He is angry that after he gave Dido land for her city, she has taken up with someone else.
(d) He wants counsel about how best to attack Dido's lands while she is distracted with Aeneas.
14. When Dido sees Aeneas' men readying their ships to sail, for what does she plead?
(a) For Aeneas to wait to sail until the weather is better.
(b) That they take her sister Anna with them as a guide.
(c) That they sabotage the ships to keep Aeneas in Carthage.
(d) For them to leave plans with her people for how to build such wonderful ships.
15. Who does Dido send to plead with Aeneas?
(c) Her favorite handmaiden.
(d) King Iarbas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Juno say Venus has made Dido fall in love with Aeneas?
2. What does Aeneas think when he spots Helen while Troy is being destroyed all around them?
3. What happens to everything the Harpies touch?
4. Who travels with Aeneas to check out the place where they have landed?
5. What does Creusa's ghost tell Aeneas?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)