|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aeneas ask the gods through the Sibyl?
(a) He wants help rebuilding the original Troy.
(b) He wants his father brought back to life.
(c) He wants revenge on those who ruined Troy.
(d) He wants to settle peacefully in Latium.
2. Whom does Helenus say Aeneas should visit for advice?
(d) The sibyl of Cumae.
3. How does Anchises act when Aeneas first comes to help him escape?
(a) He urges the others to escape and leave him behind.
(b) He berates Aeneas for not coming to get him sooner.
(c) He is sleeping too soundly to be awakened.
(d) He is crying too hard to get any words out.
4. Who travels with Aeneas to check out the place where they have landed?
5. When Aeneas and the Trojans land in Sicily at the beginning of Book V, a year has passed since which important event?
(a) Leaving Dido's city.
(b) Paris taking Helen.
(c) The death of Anchises.
(d) The fall of Troy.
6. How does Cloanthus win the boat race during the funeral games?
(a) He constructs the best boat.
(b) His prayers convince the harbor god to help him.
(c) He has Aeneas help him.
(d) He capsizes the boats of his opponents.
7. Who does Venus send to Carthage disguised as Aeneas' son?
(a) A huntress.
(b) Her son, Cupid.
8. Why are Aeneas and his people supposed to settle in Hesperia?
(a) It is their true home, the land from which the forefathers of their people came.
(b) It is Venus' land and she promises it to them.
(c) They only have enough food to make it that far.
(d) The Greeks will never be able to find and attack them there.
9. What is the job of the Sibyl?
(a) To advise people on what jobs to take.
(b) To give directions on where to go.
(c) To guard a special cave entrance.
(d) To tell people what will happen.
10. What does Jupiter predict awaits Aeneas in Italy?
(a) A happy marriage with Queen Dido.
(b) A massive war followed by the establishment of a new city and a new way of life.
(c) Death and betrayal.
(d) A rematch with the same soldiers that destroyed Troy.
11. Why does Juno say Venus has made Dido fall in love with Aeneas?
(a) Because Venus was afraid of and wanted to stop the growing power of Carthage.
(b) Because Venus wanted to cheer her son up.
(c) To keep Dido from falling in love with a Greek.
(d) Because Venus could not bear to see Dido so unhappy.
12. What danger do Aeneas and his men face by Aetna?
(a) Another flock of Harpies.
(b) A herd of Cyclops.
(c) The wrath of Juno.
(d) A group of sirens.
13. For whom does Aeneas return to Troy to search?
(a) His dead king Priam's body.
(b) His mother, Venus.
(c) His sworn enemy, Sinon.
(d) His wife, Creusa.
14. Why does King Iarbas pray to Jove/Jupiter?
(a) He wants Juno to stop bothering his country.
(b) He wants counsel about how best to attack Dido's lands while she is distracted with Aeneas.
(c) He is good friends with Dido and wants Jupiter to protect her new love.
(d) He is angry that after he gave Dido land for her city, she has taken up with someone else.
15. What action does the goddess Rumor take after Dido and Aeneas begin to revel in each others' company?
(a) She travels from country to country telling people that it isn't true that they are together.
(b) She tells the world of their love to encourage everyone to celebrate their union.
(c) She tattles to Juno about what they have done.
(d) She spreads whispers and gossip to make Dido's other suitors angry and jealous.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Trojans think the Danaans had left?
2. How does Dido's ghost react to seeing Aeneas?
3. Which of the following is NOT a type of funeral game?
4. How does Aeneas put out the burning Trojan ships after the Trojan women set them on fire?
5. What does Anchises pray to the gods for?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)