|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who leads Aeneas to the golden bough?
(a) The ghost of Misenus.
(b) The Sibyl.
(c) Two doves from Venus.
(d) He finds it on his own.
2. Why does King Iarbas pray to Jove/Jupiter?
(a) He is good friends with Dido and wants Jupiter to protect her new love.
(b) He is angry that after he gave Dido land for her city, she has taken up with someone else.
(c) He wants Juno to stop bothering his country.
(d) He wants counsel about how best to attack Dido's lands while she is distracted with Aeneas.
3. How does Cloanthus win the boat race during the funeral games?
(a) His prayers convince the harbor god to help him.
(b) He constructs the best boat.
(c) He capsizes the boats of his opponents.
(d) He has Aeneas help him.
4. Who calms the ocean so Aeneas and his men can make it safely to land?
5. What meaning does Anchises say the portent of four white horses can have?
(a) Both feast and famine.
(b) Both laughter and tears.
(c) Both fame and fortune.
(d) Both war and peace.
6. Why does Juno say Venus has made Dido fall in love with Aeneas?
(a) To keep Dido from falling in love with a Greek.
(b) Because Venus could not bear to see Dido so unhappy.
(c) Because Venus wanted to cheer her son up.
(d) Because Venus was afraid of and wanted to stop the growing power of Carthage.
7. What do the crowd of refugees expect from Aeneas?
(a) They want him to apologize for letting Troy fall.
(b) They want him to lead them in a prayer of thanks for their escape.
(c) They want him to lead them by sea to new lands.
(d) They want him to train them in battle so they can fight the Danaans better.
8. What omen does everyone witness when Acestës is shooting arrows?
(a) There is a flash of lightning followed by a clap of thunder.
(b) His arrow makes a trail of flame and burns away to nothing.
(c) A rainbow appears in the sky.
(d) It begins to rain.
9. Which of the following must Aeneas do to enter the underworld?
(a) He must wrestle the gatekeeper and win.
(b) He must pick the golden bough.
(c) He must find and follow Orpheus down.
(d) He must wait for Venus to come take him.
10. What reason does Entellus give for why he didn't volunteer immediately to fight Darës?
(a) He would be embarrased to lose to Darës.
(b) He no longer believes that fighting is a good thing to do.
(c) He didn't want to take the chance to fight Darës away from Acestës.
(d) He is getting older and his body is slower than it was.
11. Why does Venus at first think Juno's idea to have Dido and Aeneas marry and rule Carthage side by side is a bad one?
(a) She does not think it fair to Dido to make her rule with Aeneas.
(b) She does not want Italy's future power diverted to Carthage.
(c) She wants Aeneas to be the sole ruler of Carthage.
(d) She does not think their love will last.
12. Who does Anchises predict will bring and Age of Gold to Latium?
(c) Caesar Augustus.
13. To what does Aeneas attribute Darës' inability to beat Entellus?
(a) The changed will of the gods.
(b) Darës' lack of skill.
(c) The fact that Darës does not want to win badly enough.
(d) The inadequate gloves Darës is using.
14. What portent appears relating to Iulus?
(a) A tongue of flame on his head.
(b) A snake that wraps around his ankle.
(c) A cloud of smoke that covers up his face.
(d) A bird that lands on his left shoulder.
15. Who warns the Trojans not to trust in the wooden horse the Danaans left behind?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Dido's people take on a peaceful mood toward Aeneas' people?
2. What does Palinurus' ghost ask Aeneas to do when he returns to the world?
3. What does Dido tell Aeneas she will do after he leaves?
4. What happens to everything the Harpies touch?
5. What does Sinon claim is the reason he was left behind?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)