|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What meaning does Anchises say the portent of four white horses can have?
(a) Both laughter and tears.
(b) Both war and peace.
(c) Both fame and fortune.
(d) Both feast and famine.
2. Who does Dido send to plead with Aeneas?
(c) Her favorite handmaiden.
(d) King Iarbas.
3. After first meeting Dido, what does Aeneas send for from his ships?
(a) For his son Ascanius and for gifts for Carthage.
(b) For weapons to surrender them up to Dido's people.
(c) For his best toga and shield.
(d) For his father Anchises and his medicine.
4. Why has Dido turned her face against remarriage?
(a) Her brother killed her last husband.
(b) She must wait until her sister Anna gets married first.
(c) She is pledged to Diana.
(d) She does not want any man taking over her kingdom.
5. Where do Dido and Aeneas become "married"?
(a) At the ruins of Troy.
(b) In a cave.
(c) At the altar of Juno.
(d) On a boat at sea.
6. Which of the following is NOT something Helenus advises Aeneas and his followers to do?
(a) To watch out for Scylla and Charybdis.
(b) To look for a sign--a giant white sow nursing a litter of piglets.
(c) To head for the shoreline to the west.
(d) To make prayers and sacrifices to Juno.
7. What is Coroebus' idea for how he, Aeneas, and their companions can pass to safety?
(a) They will call on Venus to come save them.
(b) They will hide inside the wooden horse until the Greeks take it back outside.
(c) They will disguise themselves in Greek armor.
(d) They will escape through a secret tunnel under the city.
8. What does Sinon say will happen if the Trojans violate the wooden horse?
(a) They will win the favor of the god Pallas.
(c) They will face the wrath of the goddess Minerva.
(d) They will win the war against the Danaans.
9. Who is Andromache's new husband?
10. What reason does Entellus give for why he didn't volunteer immediately to fight Darës?
(a) He is getting older and his body is slower than it was.
(b) He would be embarrased to lose to Darës.
(c) He didn't want to take the chance to fight Darës away from Acestës.
(d) He no longer believes that fighting is a good thing to do.
11. Who warns the Trojans not to trust in the wooden horse the Danaans left behind?
12. Who does Anchises predict will bring and Age of Gold to Latium?
(c) Caesar Augustus.
13. Which of the following is NOT a reason why Anna thinks Dido should make a match with Aeneas?
(a) Their brother could find and attack them in the future.
(b) Dido should enjoy love and children.
(c) It is Jupiter's will.
(d) Dido's lands are surrounded by hostile people.
14. Why does Juno say Venus has made Dido fall in love with Aeneas?
(a) Because Venus wanted to cheer her son up.
(b) Because Venus could not bear to see Dido so unhappy.
(c) To keep Dido from falling in love with a Greek.
(d) Because Venus was afraid of and wanted to stop the growing power of Carthage.
15. When Dido sees Aeneas' men readying their ships to sail, for what does she plead?
(a) That they take her sister Anna with them as a guide.
(b) For them to leave plans with her people for how to build such wonderful ships.
(c) That they sabotage the ships to keep Aeneas in Carthage.
(d) For Aeneas to wait to sail until the weather is better.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Trojans think the Danaans had left?
2. Why is Aeneas' appearance a surprise to Dido and the crowd?
3. How does Aeneas transport Anchises out of Troy?
4. How does Aeneas know Antheus, Sergestus, Cloanthus, and Ilioneus?
5. What omen does everyone witness when Acestës is shooting arrows?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)