|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Aeneas and his people supposed to settle in Hesperia?
(a) They only have enough food to make it that far.
(b) The Greeks will never be able to find and attack them there.
(c) It is Venus' land and she promises it to them.
(d) It is their true home, the land from which the forefathers of their people came.
2. Why did the Trojans think the Danaans had left?
(a) The Danaans set fire to their campsite and let it burn to the ground.
(b) The Danaans sent a letter announcing that they were leaving.
(c) The Danaans surrendered and promised to go.
(d) The Danaans hid their ships behind a nearby island.
3. Which of the following is NOT an effect of Dido's love for Aeneas?
(a) Dido presses herself against the couch where Aeneas sat.
(b) All construction of the city of Carthage stops.
(c) Dido keeps holding Ascanius on her lap because he looks like Aeneas.
(d) Dido persuades Aeneas to help her people build better ships.
4. Who warns the Trojans not to trust in the wooden horse the Danaans left behind?
5. What does Creusa's ghost tell Aeneas?
(a) Though he will try to run, he will never escape the Danaans.
(b) After years of hard work, he will rebuild Troy in the same place as it once was.
(c) If he will only travel to the underworld, he can bring her back to life.
(d) After a long exile, Aeneas will land in Hesperia and rule a new kingdom.
6. What prize is Nisus given by Aeneas?
(a) A vial of precious oil.
(b) A shield.
(c) A new boat.
(d) sturdy shoes.
7. What does Aeneas tell the ghost of Dido?
(a) That he needs her help to find his father's ghost.
(b) That he left her lands against his will.
(c) That he can bring her back to life now.
(d) That she should have waited becauase he was coming back for her.
8. What is remarkable about the boxing gloves of Eryx?
(a) He left them to his half-brother, Aeneas.
(b) They are unused.
(c) They are heavy and huge.
(d) He had a rule that no one could use them but him.
9. Who appears in a dream to warn Aeneas to flee Troy?
10. What does Neptune say must happen for Aeneas and his followers to have save passage over the seas?
(a) Aeneas must promise not to go to Italy.
(b) Venus must sail with them.
(c) Aeneas must find and give a pair of perfect horses to Neptune.
(d) One life must be sacrificed.
11. How does Dido kill herself?
(a) With poison.
(b) With a sword.
(c) With a lion bite.
(d) By drowning.
12. Who does Dido send to plead with Aeneas?
(b) King Iarbas.
(c) Her favorite handmaiden.
13. Why has Dido turned her face against remarriage?
(a) She does not want any man taking over her kingdom.
(b) Her brother killed her last husband.
(c) She must wait until her sister Anna gets married first.
(d) She is pledged to Diana.
14. Who will not be a descendant of Aeneas' line?
15. How does Aeneas transport Anchises out of Troy?
(a) In a wheeled cart.
(b) On a stretcher after the Danaans wound him.
(c) By pulling him along by the hand.
(d) On his back.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Polydorus die?
2. What happens to everything the Harpies touch?
3. What do the crowd of refugees expect from Aeneas?
4. Why is Aeneas' appearance a surprise to Dido and the crowd?
5. What happens every time Aeneas tries to tear a branch from a tree in Thrace to construct a roof for the altar of his new colony?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)