|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who blinded Polyphemus?
(a) the Furies.
(b) Ulysses and his crewmen.
2. Which of the following is not an effect that Dido says has been caused by her love affair with Aeneas?
(a) She has lost her integrity.
(b) Libyans and nomad kings hate her.
(c) Her own people hate her.
(d) She is stuck with his child to raise.
3. Who warns the Trojans not to trust in the wooden horse the Danaans left behind?
4. Who is the deity in charge of marriage?
5. Who is a figure from Greek and Roman mythology NOT depicted in the temple of Apollo?
6. Who will not be a descendant of Aeneas' line?
7. What does Aeneas see depicted on the walls of the temple that the people of Carthage are building?
(a) A map to the underworld.
(b) Scenes of the Trojan War.
(c) Portraits of monsters such as the Harpies and the Cyclops.
(d) Pictures of the gods and goddesses quarreling in Olympus.
8. How does Dido's ghost react to seeing Aeneas?
(a) She falls to her knees and pleads with him to take her away with him.
(b) She smiles and tells him all is forgiven.
(c) She flees from him and returns to her first husband, Sychaeus.
(d) She reenacts her suicide.
9. Why does Venus send a fake Ascanius to Dido?
(a) To destroy the Trojans.
(b) To charm her into loving Aeneas.
(c) To learn what Dido's true thoughts about the Trojans are.
(d) To win a bet with Jupiter.
10. Why does Juno say Venus has made Dido fall in love with Aeneas?
(a) Because Venus was afraid of and wanted to stop the growing power of Carthage.
(b) Because Venus wanted to cheer her son up.
(c) To keep Dido from falling in love with a Greek.
(d) Because Venus could not bear to see Dido so unhappy.
11. What meaning does Anchises say the portent of four white horses can have?
(a) Both war and peace.
(b) Both laughter and tears.
(c) Both fame and fortune.
(d) Both feast and famine.
12. Why does Palinurus fall overboard?
(a) He is drunk while on duty.
(b) He trips over Ascanius and falls.
(c) The boat lurches unexpectedly during a storm sent by Jupiter.
(d) Somnus puts him to sleep and shoves him into the water.
13. What does the plague that descends on the new city Aeneas founds at Pergamum tell the settlers?
(a) That the gods wish to make the city stronger by weeding out the weak.
(b) That the settlers must practice better hygiene.
(c) That they are being punished for not defending Troy better.
(d) That this is the wrong coast to settle and that they should leave for other lands.
14. From whom will Julius Caesar get his name?
(a) Aeneas' son Ascanius, renamed Iulus.
(b) Aeneas' sister, Ilia.
(c) Aeneas' grandfather, Ilium.
(d) Aeneas' daughter Creusa, renamed Julia.
15. Why does Venus at first think Juno's idea to have Dido and Aeneas marry and rule Carthage side by side is a bad one?
(a) She wants Aeneas to be the sole ruler of Carthage.
(b) She does not want Italy's future power diverted to Carthage.
(c) She does not think it fair to Dido to make her rule with Aeneas.
(d) She does not think their love will last.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tale does Dido want Aeneas to tell?
2. What does Neptune say must happen for Aeneas and his followers to have save passage over the seas?
3. Who uses his or her powers to keep the Trojans lost at sea?
4. At the beginning of Book V, why is the city behind Aeneas' departing ships bright?
5. What atrocity does Pyrrhus commit in front of Priam?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)