|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aeneas tell the ghost of Dido?
(a) That he can bring her back to life now.
(b) That she should have waited becauase he was coming back for her.
(c) That he needs her help to find his father's ghost.
(d) That he left her lands against his will.
2. What curse does Celaeno lay on the Trojans?
(a) That the Trojans will never build their new city until they have experienced famine.
(b) That they will be turned into Harpies as well.
(c) That they will wander the sea forever without finding a new place to settle.
(d) That they will be shipwrecked every time they try to set sail.
3. Who is Andromache's new husband?
4. Why does Acestës welcome Aeneas and his followers?
(a) He is secretly plotting against them.
(b) He empathizes with their sufferings.
(c) His mother was Trojan.
(d) Jupiter commands him to welcome them.
5. Who is a figure from Greek and Roman mythology NOT depicted in the temple of Apollo?
6. What does Sinon say will happen if the Trojans violate the wooden horse?
(b) They will win the favor of the god Pallas.
(c) They will win the war against the Danaans.
(d) They will face the wrath of the goddess Minerva.
7. What happens when souls are destined to be reborn in a second body?
(a) They must sneak past Charon.
(b) They must petition the kind of the underworld to be reborn.
(c) They must drink from the water of Lethe to forget their memories.
(d) They must craft new bodies for themselves.
8. What happens every time Aeneas tries to tear a branch from a tree in Thrace to construct a roof for the altar of his new colony?
(a) Jupiter's voice thunders above.
(b) Lightning flashes in the sky.
(c) Fire surrounds his head.
(d) Blood flows from the plant.
9. What important things has Aeneas carried with him from Troy?
(a) Three wooden splinters from the wooden horse.
(b) A herd of beasts to sacrifice to the gods.
(c) The Phrygian hearth-gods.
(d) King Priam's sword and shield.
10. What is Coroebus' idea for how he, Aeneas, and their companions can pass to safety?
(a) They will call on Venus to come save them.
(b) They will hide inside the wooden horse until the Greeks take it back outside.
(c) They will escape through a secret tunnel under the city.
(d) They will disguise themselves in Greek armor.
11. Which of the following is NOT something Helenus advises Aeneas and his followers to do?
(a) To look for a sign--a giant white sow nursing a litter of piglets.
(b) To head for the shoreline to the west.
(c) To watch out for Scylla and Charybdis.
(d) To make prayers and sacrifices to Juno.
12. Who travels with Aeneas to check out the place where they have landed?
13. What omen does everyone witness when Acestës is shooting arrows?
(a) It begins to rain.
(b) A rainbow appears in the sky.
(c) His arrow makes a trail of flame and burns away to nothing.
(d) There is a flash of lightning followed by a clap of thunder.
14. How did Polydorus die?
(a) Sickened by a terrible plague.
(b) Attacked and smothered by plants.
(c) Murdered by his host, the Thracian king, for the gold he held.
(d) Killed in a battle during the siege of Troy.
15. Where do malefactors live in the underworld?
(a) In the Blessed Groves.
(c) In the River Styx.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Misenus meet an early death?
2. Who sends Iris to talk to the mourning Trojan women?
3. Of what is Helenus' city a replica?
4. Who calms the ocean so Aeneas and his men can make it safely to land?
5. What does Dido tell Aeneas she will do after he leaves?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)