|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Cloanthus win the boat race during the funeral games?
(a) He constructs the best boat.
(b) He has Aeneas help him.
(c) He capsizes the boats of his opponents.
(d) His prayers convince the harbor god to help him.
2. Why does Juno say Venus has made Dido fall in love with Aeneas?
(a) Because Venus wanted to cheer her son up.
(b) Because Venus was afraid of and wanted to stop the growing power of Carthage.
(c) Because Venus could not bear to see Dido so unhappy.
(d) To keep Dido from falling in love with a Greek.
3. Why did Dido's people take on a peaceful mood toward Aeneas' people?
(a) They were visited by Mercury.
(b) They were well known for always welcoming new people.
(c) They had heard great things about the Trojans from the Greeks.
(d) Queen Dido commanded them to welcome all new visitors.
4. Who does Dido send to plead with Aeneas?
(a) King Iarbas.
(c) Her favorite handmaiden.
5. What does Creusa's ghost tell Aeneas?
(a) If he will only travel to the underworld, he can bring her back to life.
(b) Though he will try to run, he will never escape the Danaans.
(c) After a long exile, Aeneas will land in Hesperia and rule a new kingdom.
(d) After years of hard work, he will rebuild Troy in the same place as it once was.
6. Which of the following is NOT a reason why Anna thinks Dido should make a match with Aeneas?
(a) Their brother could find and attack them in the future.
(b) It is Jupiter's will.
(c) Dido's lands are surrounded by hostile people.
(d) Dido should enjoy love and children.
7. How does Dido know that Aeneas plans to leave?
(a) Aeneas tells her.
(b) Jupiter tells her.
(c) Rumor tells her.
(d) Juno tells her.
8. What important things has Aeneas carried with him from Troy?
(a) The Phrygian hearth-gods.
(b) A herd of beasts to sacrifice to the gods.
(c) King Priam's sword and shield.
(d) Three wooden splinters from the wooden horse.
9. Who calms the ocean so Aeneas and his men can make it safely to land?
10. On what do the gods take oaths that they fear to break?
(a) The Sibyl.
(b) The river Styx.
(c) The golden bough.
(d) Charon's boat.
11. Who or what does Venus say is the cause of the fall of Troy?
(a) Priam for being too proud.
(b) the Trojans for letting the Danaans trick them.
(c) Helen and Paris for running away together.
(d) The harsh will of the gods.
12. What is the job of the Sibyl?
(a) To guard a special cave entrance.
(b) To give directions on where to go.
(c) To tell people what will happen.
(d) To advise people on what jobs to take.
13. What omen does everyone witness when Acestës is shooting arrows?
(a) There is a flash of lightning followed by a clap of thunder.
(b) It begins to rain.
(c) His arrow makes a trail of flame and burns away to nothing.
(d) A rainbow appears in the sky.
14. What does Anchises show Aeneas in the underworld?
(a) Scenes of what the deities are doing in Olympus.
(b) Scenes from the past history of Troy.
(c) Scenes of his future descendants in Italy.
(d) Scenes of what his followers are doing at the present moment.
15. What hides Aeneas' identity as he travels through Carthage?
(a) A magic cape.
(b) A huge bronze shield.
(c) A leather mask.
(d) A cloud of mist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is a figure from Greek and Roman mythology NOT depicted in the temple of Apollo?
2. Which of the following does the Sibyl NOT predict awaits Aeneas where he is going?
3. How does Dido kill herself?
4. Who warns the Trojans not to trust in the wooden horse the Danaans left behind?
5. Whom does Helenus say Aeneas should visit for advice?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)