|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Aeneas know Antheus, Sergestus, Cloanthus, and Ilioneus?
(a) He fought against them in the Trojan War.
(b) They are fellow Trojans.
(c) He has heard tales of their great feats.
(d) He does not know who they are.
2. Which of the following does the Sibyl NOT predict awaits Aeneas where he is going?
(a) Continued harassment from Juno.
(b) Marriage with a foreign bride.
(c) The death of Ascanius.
(d) Vicious wars.
3. What is the job of the Sibyl?
(a) To guard a special cave entrance.
(b) To tell people what will happen.
(c) To advise people on what jobs to take.
(d) To give directions on where to go.
4. What does Palinurus' ghost ask Aeneas to do when he returns to the world?
(a) To avenge his death.
(b) To find and bury his body.
(c) Never to let Achates helm the boat.
(d) To do anything to make Iulus a king.
5. What does Jupiter predict awaits Aeneas in Italy?
(a) Death and betrayal.
(b) A happy marriage with Queen Dido.
(c) A rematch with the same soldiers that destroyed Troy.
(d) A massive war followed by the establishment of a new city and a new way of life.
6. What important things has Aeneas carried with him from Troy?
(a) A herd of beasts to sacrifice to the gods.
(b) The Phrygian hearth-gods.
(c) Three wooden splinters from the wooden horse.
(d) King Priam's sword and shield.
7. What does Aeneas see depicted on the walls of the temple that the people of Carthage are building?
(a) Scenes of the Trojan War.
(b) A map to the underworld.
(c) Pictures of the gods and goddesses quarreling in Olympus.
(d) Portraits of monsters such as the Harpies and the Cyclops.
8. Why does Venus send a fake Ascanius to Dido?
(a) To learn what Dido's true thoughts about the Trojans are.
(b) To win a bet with Jupiter.
(c) To destroy the Trojans.
(d) To charm her into loving Aeneas.
9. What does Aeneas think when he spots Helen while Troy is being destroyed all around them?
(a) He wants to save her from her fate.
(b) He feels an impulse to kill her to punish her.
(c) He feels pity for her circumstances.
(d) He wants to carry her off and marry her.
10. Why did Dido's people take on a peaceful mood toward Aeneas' people?
(a) They were visited by Mercury.
(b) Queen Dido commanded them to welcome all new visitors.
(c) They were well known for always welcoming new people.
(d) They had heard great things about the Trojans from the Greeks.
11. What meaning does Anchises say the portent of four white horses can have?
(a) Both war and peace.
(b) Both feast and famine.
(c) Both fame and fortune.
(d) Both laughter and tears.
12. Who will bury Palinurus' body?
(a) People who live near where his body washed up.
13. Which of the following is NOT a type of funeral game?
(a) A ship race.
(b) A foot race.
(c) Javelin and archery contests.
(d) A chariot race.
14. Of what is Helenus' city a replica?
15. What reason does Entellus give for why he didn't volunteer immediately to fight Darës?
(a) He is getting older and his body is slower than it was.
(b) He would be embarrased to lose to Darës.
(c) He no longer believes that fighting is a good thing to do.
(d) He didn't want to take the chance to fight Darës away from Acestës.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Misenus meet an early death?
2. Why does Acestës welcome Aeneas and his followers?
3. To what does Aeneas attribute Darës' inability to beat Entellus?
4. What does Aeneas promise to do if the gods grant his wish?
5. What danger do Aeneas and his men face by Aetna?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)