|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Aetna?
(a) A volcano.
(b) A huge waterfall.
(c) A geyser that sprays from the ground.
(d) A large river.
2. Who will not be a descendant of Aeneas' line?
3. Who or what does Venus say is the cause of the fall of Troy?
(a) Priam for being too proud.
(b) the Trojans for letting the Danaans trick them.
(c) Helen and Paris for running away together.
(d) The harsh will of the gods.
4. Why does King Iarbas pray to Jove/Jupiter?
(a) He is good friends with Dido and wants Jupiter to protect her new love.
(b) He wants Juno to stop bothering his country.
(c) He wants counsel about how best to attack Dido's lands while she is distracted with Aeneas.
(d) He is angry that after he gave Dido land for her city, she has taken up with someone else.
5. Where do malefactors live in the underworld?
(a) In the Blessed Groves.
(b) In the River Styx.
6. What does Anchises pray to the gods for?
(a) To keep his grandson Iulus safe.
(b) For the strength to stand up and run.
(c) To punish Aeneas for not protecting the city better.
(d) To take revenge on the Greeks for sacking Troy.
7. How do the Danaans get inside the walls of Troy?
(a) While the Trojans are busy looking at the horse, the Danaans storm the front gates of Troy.
(b) The Trojans move the horse next to their walls and the soldiers use it as a ladder.
(c) The Trojans carry the horse inside and Sinon lets the soldiers inside it out.
(d) The Danaans are still unable to breach the walls of Troy.
8. Who is the deity in charge of marriage?
9. How does Dido kill herself?
(a) With a sword.
(b) With poison.
(c) By drowning.
(d) With a lion bite.
10. Why does Venus send a fake Ascanius to Dido?
(a) To learn what Dido's true thoughts about the Trojans are.
(b) To win a bet with Jupiter.
(c) To charm her into loving Aeneas.
(d) To destroy the Trojans.
11. What happens to everything the Harpies touch?
(a) It becomes covered in filth.
(b) It becomes theirs forever.
(c) It turns to gold.
(d) It disappears.
12. Which of the following is NOT an effect of Dido's love for Aeneas?
(a) All construction of the city of Carthage stops.
(b) Dido persuades Aeneas to help her people build better ships.
(c) Dido keeps holding Ascanius on her lap because he looks like Aeneas.
(d) Dido presses herself against the couch where Aeneas sat.
13. What does Aeneas think when he spots Helen while Troy is being destroyed all around them?
(a) He wants to save her from her fate.
(b) He wants to carry her off and marry her.
(c) He feels an impulse to kill her to punish her.
(d) He feels pity for her circumstances.
14. Why does Venus at first think Juno's idea to have Dido and Aeneas marry and rule Carthage side by side is a bad one?
(a) She wants Aeneas to be the sole ruler of Carthage.
(b) She does not want Italy's future power diverted to Carthage.
(c) She does not think their love will last.
(d) She does not think it fair to Dido to make her rule with Aeneas.
15. How does Nisus try to help his friend Euryalus win first prize in the foot race?
(a) He cheers loudly for him.
(b) He trips Salius.
(c) He discourages others from entering the contest.
(d) He refuses to compete himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Misenus meet an early death?
2. What happens every time Aeneas tries to tear a branch from a tree in Thrace to construct a roof for the altar of his new colony?
3. What does Neptune say must happen for Aeneas and his followers to have save passage over the seas?
4. Which of the following is NOT a type of funeral game?
5. What does Ilioneus ask of Dido?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)