|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Anchises think the voice in the temple is telling them to go build their new city?
2. Who is Andromache's new husband?
3. Who leads Aeneas to the golden bough?
(a) Two doves from Venus.
(b) He finds it on his own.
(c) The ghost of Misenus.
(d) The Sibyl.
4. What does Aeneas promise to do if the gods grant his wish?
(a) He will name his new city after Jupiter.
(b) He will honor his mother Venus more.
(c) He will build a temple to Phoebus and Diana of the Crossroads.
(d) He will make a sacrifice to Juno.
5. Which of the following is NOT an effect of Dido's love for Aeneas?
(a) Dido persuades Aeneas to help her people build better ships.
(b) Dido keeps holding Ascanius on her lap because he looks like Aeneas.
(c) Dido presses herself against the couch where Aeneas sat.
(d) All construction of the city of Carthage stops.
6. What does Palinurus' ghost ask Aeneas to do when he returns to the world?
(a) Never to let Achates helm the boat.
(b) To find and bury his body.
(c) To avenge his death.
(d) To do anything to make Iulus a king.
7. What important things has Aeneas carried with him from Troy?
(a) Three wooden splinters from the wooden horse.
(b) A herd of beasts to sacrifice to the gods.
(c) The Phrygian hearth-gods.
(d) King Priam's sword and shield.
8. What does Anchises pray to the gods for?
(a) To keep his grandson Iulus safe.
(b) To take revenge on the Greeks for sacking Troy.
(c) For the strength to stand up and run.
(d) To punish Aeneas for not protecting the city better.
9. Which of the following is not an excuse Aeneas offers to Dido for why he must leave her?
(a) His men cannot protect her and Carthage adequately.
(b) His fate, oracles, and dreams all tell him he must go found a city.
(c) A messenger from Jupiter commands him to go against his will.
(d) He is not being deceitful because he never entered a pact of marriage with her.
10. Why do the Trojan women set fire to the Trojan ships in Book V?
(a) They are afraid Aeneas will leave without them.
(b) It is a sign of respect and morning.
(c) They are dazzled by signs and portents and want to make their home where they are.
(d) It was a mistake and they actually meant to burn Acestës' ships.
11. Who warns the Trojans not to trust in the wooden horse the Danaans left behind?
12. Why are Aeneas and his people supposed to settle in Hesperia?
(a) The Greeks will never be able to find and attack them there.
(b) It is Venus' land and she promises it to them.
(c) They only have enough food to make it that far.
(d) It is their true home, the land from which the forefathers of their people came.
13. Why did Dido's people take on a peaceful mood toward Aeneas' people?
(a) They were visited by Mercury.
(b) They were well known for always welcoming new people.
(c) Queen Dido commanded them to welcome all new visitors.
(d) They had heard great things about the Trojans from the Greeks.
14. Who travels with Aeneas to check out the place where they have landed?
15. Whom does Helenus say Aeneas should visit for advice?
(d) The sibyl of Cumae.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Anchises spending his time in the underworld?
2. Why is Aeneas' appearance a surprise to Dido and the crowd?
3. How does Nisus try to help his friend Euryalus win first prize in the foot race?
4. Why does King Iarbas pray to Jove/Jupiter?
5. Of what is Helenus' city a replica?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)