|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What omen does everyone witness when Acestës is shooting arrows?
(a) His arrow makes a trail of flame and burns away to nothing.
(b) There is a flash of lightning followed by a clap of thunder.
(c) It begins to rain.
(d) A rainbow appears in the sky.
2. What reason does Entellus give for why he didn't volunteer immediately to fight Darës?
(a) He would be embarrased to lose to Darës.
(b) He is getting older and his body is slower than it was.
(c) He didn't want to take the chance to fight Darës away from Acestës.
(d) He no longer believes that fighting is a good thing to do.
3. How does Cloanthus win the boat race during the funeral games?
(a) He constructs the best boat.
(b) He capsizes the boats of his opponents.
(c) He has Aeneas help him.
(d) His prayers convince the harbor god to help him.
4. Why is Aeneas' appearance a surprise to Dido and the crowd?
(a) He appears accompanied by the goddess Venus.
(b) He appears out of a thinning cloud as if from thin air.
(c) He appears swearing vengeance on them all.
(d) He appears wearing women's garb as a disguise.
5. What does Creusa's ghost tell Aeneas?
(a) After years of hard work, he will rebuild Troy in the same place as it once was.
(b) After a long exile, Aeneas will land in Hesperia and rule a new kingdom.
(c) If he will only travel to the underworld, he can bring her back to life.
(d) Though he will try to run, he will never escape the Danaans.
6. Who appears in a dream to warn Aeneas to flee Troy?
7. What does Aeneas think when he spots Helen while Troy is being destroyed all around them?
(a) He wants to save her from her fate.
(b) He wants to carry her off and marry her.
(c) He feels pity for her circumstances.
(d) He feels an impulse to kill her to punish her.
8. What does Dido tell Aeneas she will do after he leaves?
(a) Marry a neighboring king to keep her lands safe.
(b) Construct a temple in his honor.
(c) Follow him to kill him.
(d) Haunt him as a spirit after she dies.
9. What hides Aeneas' identity as he travels through Carthage?
(a) A huge bronze shield.
(b) A magic cape.
(c) A leather mask.
(d) A cloud of mist.
10. What is Aetna?
(a) A large river.
(b) A volcano.
(c) A geyser that sprays from the ground.
(d) A huge waterfall.
11. Which of the following is not an excuse Aeneas offers to Dido for why he must leave her?
(a) His men cannot protect her and Carthage adequately.
(b) He is not being deceitful because he never entered a pact of marriage with her.
(c) A messenger from Jupiter commands him to go against his will.
(d) His fate, oracles, and dreams all tell him he must go found a city.
12. What does Palinurus' ghost ask Aeneas to do when he returns to the world?
(a) To do anything to make Iulus a king.
(b) To avenge his death.
(c) To find and bury his body.
(d) Never to let Achates helm the boat.
13. What important things has Aeneas carried with him from Troy?
(a) King Priam's sword and shield.
(b) Three wooden splinters from the wooden horse.
(c) A herd of beasts to sacrifice to the gods.
(d) The Phrygian hearth-gods.
14. Who blinded Polyphemus?
(a) the Furies.
(d) Ulysses and his crewmen.
15. Who dies at the end of Book 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aeneas see depicted on the walls of the temple that the people of Carthage are building?
2. Who is the deity in charge of marriage?
3. What does the plague that descends on the new city Aeneas founds at Pergamum tell the settlers?
4. Who travels with Aeneas to check out the place where they have landed?
5. Who does Anchises predict will bring and Age of Gold to Latium?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)