|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What portent appears relating to Iulus?
(a) A cloud of smoke that covers up his face.
(b) A snake that wraps around his ankle.
(c) A tongue of flame on his head.
(d) A bird that lands on his left shoulder.
2. What happens every time Aeneas tries to tear a branch from a tree in Thrace to construct a roof for the altar of his new colony?
(a) Fire surrounds his head.
(b) Blood flows from the plant.
(c) Jupiter's voice thunders above.
(d) Lightning flashes in the sky.
3. Where does Anchises think the voice in the temple is telling them to go build their new city?
4. What is the job of the Sibyl?
(a) To give directions on where to go.
(b) To tell people what will happen.
(c) To advise people on what jobs to take.
(d) To guard a special cave entrance.
5. Who dies at the end of Book 3?
6. What does Sinon claim is the reason he was left behind?
(a) He snuck away because he wants to help the Trojans beat the Danaans.
(b) He has been sent to the Trojans as an ambassador of peace.
(c) He was left behind to spy on the Trojans.
(d) He escaped before the Danaans could sacrifice him in exchange for good winds home.
7. To what does Aeneas attribute Darës' inability to beat Entellus?
(a) The changed will of the gods.
(b) The fact that Darës does not want to win badly enough.
(c) The inadequate gloves Darës is using.
(d) Darës' lack of skill.
8. Why did the Trojans think the Danaans had left?
(a) The Danaans hid their ships behind a nearby island.
(b) The Danaans surrendered and promised to go.
(c) The Danaans set fire to their campsite and let it burn to the ground.
(d) The Danaans sent a letter announcing that they were leaving.
9. What does Aeneas promise to do if the gods grant his wish?
(a) He will name his new city after Jupiter.
(b) He will honor his mother Venus more.
(c) He will make a sacrifice to Juno.
(d) He will build a temple to Phoebus and Diana of the Crossroads.
10. Who is a figure from Greek and Roman mythology NOT depicted in the temple of Apollo?
11. When Dido sees Aeneas' men readying their ships to sail, for what does she plead?
(a) For Aeneas to wait to sail until the weather is better.
(b) For them to leave plans with her people for how to build such wonderful ships.
(c) That they sabotage the ships to keep Aeneas in Carthage.
(d) That they take her sister Anna with them as a guide.
12. How do the Danaans get inside the walls of Troy?
(a) The Danaans are still unable to breach the walls of Troy.
(b) The Trojans move the horse next to their walls and the soldiers use it as a ladder.
(c) The Trojans carry the horse inside and Sinon lets the soldiers inside it out.
(d) While the Trojans are busy looking at the horse, the Danaans storm the front gates of Troy.
13. What does the fake Iulus make Dido forget?
(a) The counsel of her sister.
(b) Her responsibilities as queen.
(c) Her duty to help Aeneas.
(d) The memory of her dead husband, Sychaeus.
14. Why is Aeneas' appearance a surprise to Dido and the crowd?
(a) He appears swearing vengeance on them all.
(b) He appears out of a thinning cloud as if from thin air.
(c) He appears accompanied by the goddess Venus.
(d) He appears wearing women's garb as a disguise.
15. What is Aetna?
(a) A large river.
(b) A volcano.
(c) A huge waterfall.
(d) A geyser that sprays from the ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who warns the Trojans not to trust in the wooden horse the Danaans left behind?
2. Who does Venus send to Carthage disguised as Aeneas' son?
3. What prize is Nisus given by Aeneas?
4. What atrocity does Pyrrhus commit in front of Priam?
5. Who calms the ocean so Aeneas and his men can make it safely to land?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)