|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Coroebus' idea for how he, Aeneas, and their companions can pass to safety?
(a) They will disguise themselves in Greek armor.
(b) They will hide inside the wooden horse until the Greeks take it back outside.
(c) They will call on Venus to come save them.
(d) They will escape through a secret tunnel under the city.
2. Whom does Jupiter send to talk to Aeneas?
3. Who dies at the end of Book 3?
4. What do the crowd of refugees expect from Aeneas?
(a) They want him to lead them by sea to new lands.
(b) They want him to lead them in a prayer of thanks for their escape.
(c) They want him to apologize for letting Troy fall.
(d) They want him to train them in battle so they can fight the Danaans better.
5. What does Aeneas think when he spots Helen while Troy is being destroyed all around them?
(a) He wants to carry her off and marry her.
(b) He feels pity for her circumstances.
(c) He wants to save her from her fate.
(d) He feels an impulse to kill her to punish her.
6. What important things has Aeneas carried with him from Troy?
(a) The Phrygian hearth-gods.
(b) King Priam's sword and shield.
(c) A herd of beasts to sacrifice to the gods.
(d) Three wooden splinters from the wooden horse.
7. Who appears in a dream to warn Aeneas to flee Troy?
8. What does Creusa's ghost tell Aeneas?
(a) After a long exile, Aeneas will land in Hesperia and rule a new kingdom.
(b) After years of hard work, he will rebuild Troy in the same place as it once was.
(c) If he will only travel to the underworld, he can bring her back to life.
(d) Though he will try to run, he will never escape the Danaans.
9. What does Palinurus' ghost ask Aeneas to do when he returns to the world?
(a) To find and bury his body.
(b) Never to let Achates helm the boat.
(c) To do anything to make Iulus a king.
(d) To avenge his death.
10. What meaning does Anchises say the portent of four white horses can have?
(a) Both fame and fortune.
(b) Both feast and famine.
(c) Both laughter and tears.
(d) Both war and peace.
11. What does Aeneas see depicted on the walls of the temple that the people of Carthage are building?
(a) Pictures of the gods and goddesses quarreling in Olympus.
(b) Scenes of the Trojan War.
(c) Portraits of monsters such as the Harpies and the Cyclops.
(d) A map to the underworld.
12. What atrocity does Pyrrhus commit in front of Priam?
(a) He claims to be Priam's son.
(b) He sets fire to a holy altar.
(c) He takes away Priam's sword.
(d) He murders Priam's son.
13. How does Dido's ghost react to seeing Aeneas?
(a) She falls to her knees and pleads with him to take her away with him.
(b) She smiles and tells him all is forgiven.
(c) She flees from him and returns to her first husband, Sychaeus.
(d) She reenacts her suicide.
14. What happens to everything the Harpies touch?
(a) It disappears.
(b) It becomes theirs forever.
(c) It becomes covered in filth.
(d) It turns to gold.
15. Which of the following is NOT a type of funeral game?
(a) Javelin and archery contests.
(b) A foot race.
(c) A chariot race.
(d) A ship race.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aeneas ask the gods through the Sibyl?
2. Who tells Aeneas he is in Carthage?
3. Why is Aeneas' appearance a surprise to Dido and the crowd?
4. What omen does everyone witness when Acestës is shooting arrows?
5. To what does Aeneas attribute Darës' inability to beat Entellus?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)