|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Helenus advises Aeneas and his followers to do?
(a) To look for a sign--a giant white sow nursing a litter of piglets.
(b) To make prayers and sacrifices to Juno.
(c) To watch out for Scylla and Charybdis.
(d) To head for the shoreline to the west.
2. What does Aeneas ask the gods through the Sibyl?
(a) He wants revenge on those who ruined Troy.
(b) He wants to settle peacefully in Latium.
(c) He wants help rebuilding the original Troy.
(d) He wants his father brought back to life.
3. Who does Venus send to Carthage disguised as Aeneas' son?
(a) A huntress.
(d) Her son, Cupid.
4. What sign does Aeneas see during the ritual for his father?
(a) A cloud.
(b) A tongue of fire.
(c) A snake.
(d) A flash of lightning.
5. What portent appears relating to Iulus?
(a) A cloud of smoke that covers up his face.
(b) A tongue of flame on his head.
(c) A bird that lands on his left shoulder.
(d) A snake that wraps around his ankle.
6. Who dies at the end of Book 3?
7. Who does Anchises predict will bring and Age of Gold to Latium?
(b) Caesar Augustus.
8. How does Aeneas put out the burning Trojan ships after the Trojan women set them on fire?
(a) He asks Neptune to cover the ships with tall waves.
(b) He prays to Jupiter and a storm comes.
(c) He must let the fire burn out on its own.
(d) He calls on Aeolus to blow the fire out.
9. At the beginning of Book V, why is the city behind Aeneas' departing ships bright?
(a) The gods are shedding light on it to bless it.
(b) Dido has lit all the torches to light him on his journey.
(c) DIdo is burning a dummy figure of Aeneas in revenge.
(d) Dido's pyre is burning.
10. How is Anchises spending his time in the underworld?
(a) He is resting peacefully.
(b) He is lamenting his fate.
(c) He is studying the futures and fates of his descendants.
(d) He is trading stories with the founders of Troy.
11. How does Anchises act when Aeneas first comes to help him escape?
(a) He is sleeping too soundly to be awakened.
(b) He berates Aeneas for not coming to get him sooner.
(c) He is crying too hard to get any words out.
(d) He urges the others to escape and leave him behind.
12. Why has Dido turned her face against remarriage?
(a) She is pledged to Diana.
(b) She must wait until her sister Anna gets married first.
(c) She does not want any man taking over her kingdom.
(d) Her brother killed her last husband.
13. What hides Aeneas' identity as he travels through Carthage?
(a) A magic cape.
(b) A huge bronze shield.
(c) A cloud of mist.
(d) A leather mask.
14. What curse does Celaeno lay on the Trojans?
(a) That they will be turned into Harpies as well.
(b) That they will be shipwrecked every time they try to set sail.
(c) That the Trojans will never build their new city until they have experienced famine.
(d) That they will wander the sea forever without finding a new place to settle.
15. Who is a figure from Greek and Roman mythology NOT depicted in the temple of Apollo?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Trojan women set fire to the Trojan ships in Book V?
2. Why did the Trojans think the Danaans had left?
3. What does the fake Iulus make Dido forget?
4. What is the job of the Sibyl?
5. Who will not be a descendant of Aeneas' line?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)