|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens every time Aeneas tries to tear a branch from a tree in Thrace to construct a roof for the altar of his new colony?
(a) Blood flows from the plant.
(b) Jupiter's voice thunders above.
(c) Lightning flashes in the sky.
(d) Fire surrounds his head.
2. Why did Misenus meet an early death?
(a) He ate the fruit of the golden bough.
(b) He looked straight into the Sibyl's eyes.
(c) He went looking for Palinurus under the water and drowned too.
(d) He pretended he could make music as well as the gods and Triton drowned him.
3. Of what is Helenus' city a replica?
4. Why is Aeneas' appearance a surprise to Dido and the crowd?
(a) He appears out of a thinning cloud as if from thin air.
(b) He appears wearing women's garb as a disguise.
(c) He appears accompanied by the goddess Venus.
(d) He appears swearing vengeance on them all.
5. Which of the following is NOT a type of funeral game?
(a) A foot race.
(b) Javelin and archery contests.
(c) A chariot race.
(d) A ship race.
6. What hides Aeneas' identity as he travels through Carthage?
(a) A cloud of mist.
(b) A magic cape.
(c) A huge bronze shield.
(d) A leather mask.
7. Why does Palinurus fall overboard?
(a) The boat lurches unexpectedly during a storm sent by Jupiter.
(b) He trips over Ascanius and falls.
(c) Somnus puts him to sleep and shoves him into the water.
(d) He is drunk while on duty.
8. When Aeneas and the Trojans land in Sicily at the beginning of Book V, a year has passed since which important event?
(a) Leaving Dido's city.
(b) The fall of Troy.
(c) Paris taking Helen.
(d) The death of Anchises.
9. Why are Aeneas and his people supposed to settle in Hesperia?
(a) The Greeks will never be able to find and attack them there.
(b) They only have enough food to make it that far.
(c) It is Venus' land and she promises it to them.
(d) It is their true home, the land from which the forefathers of their people came.
10. What does Sinon claim is the reason he was left behind?
(a) He was left behind to spy on the Trojans.
(b) He has been sent to the Trojans as an ambassador of peace.
(c) He escaped before the Danaans could sacrifice him in exchange for good winds home.
(d) He snuck away because he wants to help the Trojans beat the Danaans.
11. For whom does Aeneas return to Troy to search?
(a) His sworn enemy, Sinon.
(b) His wife, Creusa.
(c) His dead king Priam's body.
(d) His mother, Venus.
12. Which of the following must Aeneas do to enter the underworld?
(a) He must wait for Venus to come take him.
(b) He must find and follow Orpheus down.
(c) He must pick the golden bough.
(d) He must wrestle the gatekeeper and win.
13. Which of the following is NOT an effect of Dido's love for Aeneas?
(a) All construction of the city of Carthage stops.
(b) Dido presses herself against the couch where Aeneas sat.
(c) Dido persuades Aeneas to help her people build better ships.
(d) Dido keeps holding Ascanius on her lap because he looks like Aeneas.
14. Whom does Jupiter send to talk to Aeneas?
15. What does Aeneas promise to do if the gods grant his wish?
(a) He will honor his mother Venus more.
(b) He will build a temple to Phoebus and Diana of the Crossroads.
(c) He will name his new city after Jupiter.
(d) He will make a sacrifice to Juno.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do malefactors live in the underworld?
2. What does Sinon say will happen if the Trojans violate the wooden horse?
3. What does Jupiter want from Aeneas?
4. What omen does everyone witness when Acestës is shooting arrows?
5. How does Dido know that Aeneas plans to leave?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)