|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Aeneas' appearance a surprise to Dido and the crowd?
(a) He appears wearing women's garb as a disguise.
(b) He appears swearing vengeance on them all.
(c) He appears accompanied by the goddess Venus.
(d) He appears out of a thinning cloud as if from thin air.
2. Of what is Helenus' city a replica?
3. How does Darës get Entellus to fall during their boxing match?
(a) He has the advantage of using heavier gloves.
(b) He ducks his punch and Entellus topples over.
(c) He knocks him out with one solid blow.
(d) Entellus makes Darës fall.
4. Who does Dido send to plead with Aeneas?
(a) Her favorite handmaiden.
(b) King Iarbas.
5. What omen does everyone witness when Acestës is shooting arrows?
(a) His arrow makes a trail of flame and burns away to nothing.
(b) A rainbow appears in the sky.
(c) There is a flash of lightning followed by a clap of thunder.
(d) It begins to rain.
6. At the beginning of Book V, why is the city behind Aeneas' departing ships bright?
(a) The gods are shedding light on it to bless it.
(b) DIdo is burning a dummy figure of Aeneas in revenge.
(c) Dido's pyre is burning.
(d) Dido has lit all the torches to light him on his journey.
7. What tale does Dido want Aeneas to tell?
(a) What happened to Odysseus during his Odyssey.
(b) How Troy fell and how the Trojans traveled to Carthage.
(c) The story of Eros and Psyche.
(d) How his parents met and had hims
8. How does Nisus try to help his friend Euryalus win first prize in the foot race?
(a) He discourages others from entering the contest.
(b) He cheers loudly for him.
(c) He trips Salius.
(d) He refuses to compete himself.
9. From whom will Julius Caesar get his name?
(a) Aeneas' son Ascanius, renamed Iulus.
(b) Aeneas' daughter Creusa, renamed Julia.
(c) Aeneas' sister, Ilia.
(d) Aeneas' grandfather, Ilium.
10. Whom does Jupiter send to talk to Aeneas?
11. What does Anchises show Aeneas in the underworld?
(a) Scenes of what his followers are doing at the present moment.
(b) Scenes of his future descendants in Italy.
(c) Scenes from the past history of Troy.
(d) Scenes of what the deities are doing in Olympus.
12. Who dies at the end of Book 3?
13. For whom does Aeneas return to Troy to search?
(a) His dead king Priam's body.
(b) His mother, Venus.
(c) His wife, Creusa.
(d) His sworn enemy, Sinon.
14. How did Polydorus die?
(a) Attacked and smothered by plants.
(b) Killed in a battle during the siege of Troy.
(c) Sickened by a terrible plague.
(d) Murdered by his host, the Thracian king, for the gold he held.
15. How do the Danaans get inside the walls of Troy?
(a) The Danaans are still unable to breach the walls of Troy.
(b) The Trojans carry the horse inside and Sinon lets the soldiers inside it out.
(c) The Trojans move the horse next to their walls and the soldiers use it as a ladder.
(d) While the Trojans are busy looking at the horse, the Danaans storm the front gates of Troy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not an excuse Aeneas offers to Dido for why he must leave her?
2. How does Dido's ghost react to seeing Aeneas?
3. What portent appears relating to Iulus?
4. What do the crowd of refugees expect from Aeneas?
5. Who is the deity in charge of marriage?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)