|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what purpose does Virgil invoke Erato, the Muse of Desire?
(a) To help him talk about how Aeneas still mourned for Dido.
(b) To help him retell the history of the early kings of Latium.
(c) To help him woo the goddess Venus.
(d) To help him describe the goddess Circe.
2. Why does Palinurus fall overboard?
(a) He is drunk while on duty.
(b) He trips over Ascanius and falls.
(c) Somnus puts him to sleep and shoves him into the water.
(d) The boat lurches unexpectedly during a storm sent by Jupiter.
3. What did the god Saturn give the first people in Latinum to start their civilization?
(a) A special shield.
(c) Musical instruments.
4. Who sends Iris to talk to the mourning Trojan women?
(d) Dido's ghost.
5. What does the soothsayer say it means when bees cluster together and weigh down the branch of King Latinus' laurel tree?
(a) That the tree must be cut down or Latium will fall.
(b) That a special stranger will come with a body of men to take Latinus' fortress.
(c) That Latinus and his subjects must band together against strangers.
(d) That there will be a good harvest that year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juno plan to do in Book VII to stop Aeneas from ruling Italy?
2. What tale does Dido want Aeneas to tell?
3. What action does the goddess Rumor take after Dido and Aeneas begin to revel in each others' company?
4. Who travels with Aeneas to check out the place where they have landed?
5. What is the job of the Sibyl?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)