|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not an excuse Aeneas offers to Dido for why he must leave her?
(a) He is not being deceitful because he never entered a pact of marriage with her.
(b) His men cannot protect her and Carthage adequately.
(c) A messenger from Jupiter commands him to go against his will.
(d) His fate, oracles, and dreams all tell him he must go found a city.
2. For what purpose does Virgil invoke Erato, the Muse of Desire?
(a) To help him describe the goddess Circe.
(b) To help him retell the history of the early kings of Latium.
(c) To help him talk about how Aeneas still mourned for Dido.
(d) To help him woo the goddess Venus.
3. With whose funeral does Book VII open?
4. How does Dido's ghost react to seeing Aeneas?
(a) She falls to her knees and pleads with him to take her away with him.
(b) She flees from him and returns to her first husband, Sychaeus.
(c) She smiles and tells him all is forgiven.
(d) She reenacts her suicide.
5. Why did Misenus meet an early death?
(a) He ate the fruit of the golden bough.
(b) He looked straight into the Sibyl's eyes.
(c) He pretended he could make music as well as the gods and Triton drowned him.
(d) He went looking for Palinurus under the water and drowned too.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Dido turned her face against remarriage?
2. Which of the following is NOT an effect of Dido's love for Aeneas?
3. Who does Dido send to plead with Aeneas?
4. Why did the Trojans think the Danaans had left?
5. Which of the following does the Sibyl NOT predict awaits Aeneas where he is going?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)