|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the soothsayer say it means when bees cluster together and weigh down the branch of King Latinus' laurel tree?
(a) That a special stranger will come with a body of men to take Latinus' fortress.
(b) That the tree must be cut down or Latium will fall.
(c) That there will be a good harvest that year.
(d) That Latinus and his subjects must band together against strangers.
2. Which of the following must Aeneas do to enter the underworld?
(a) He must wait for Venus to come take him.
(b) He must find and follow Orpheus down.
(c) He must pick the golden bough.
(d) He must wrestle the gatekeeper and win.
3. For what purpose does Virgil invoke Erato, the Muse of Desire?
(a) To help him retell the history of the early kings of Latium.
(b) To help him describe the goddess Circe.
(c) To help him woo the goddess Venus.
(d) To help him talk about how Aeneas still mourned for Dido.
4. Why are Aeneas and his people supposed to settle in Hesperia?
(a) It is Venus' land and she promises it to them.
(b) They only have enough food to make it that far.
(c) The Greeks will never be able to find and attack them there.
(d) It is their true home, the land from which the forefathers of their people came.
5. How does Dido's ghost react to seeing Aeneas?
(a) She flees from him and returns to her first husband, Sychaeus.
(b) She falls to her knees and pleads with him to take her away with him.
(c) She reenacts her suicide.
(d) She smiles and tells him all is forgiven.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a reason why Anna thinks Dido should make a match with Aeneas?
2. What do the crowd of refugees expect from Aeneas?
3. What danger do Aeneas and his men face by Aetna?
4. Why does Venus at first think Juno's idea to have Dido and Aeneas marry and rule Carthage side by side is a bad one?
5. Where do Dido and Aeneas become "married"?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)