|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Tom and Huck think it's useless to break Muff out of prison?
2. What reason does Tom give Becky for his shout, when he sees Injun Joe?
3. What color is the schoolmaster's bald head, when the pranksters cause a cat to snatch his wig away?
4. What prevented Injun Joe's capture at the Widow Douglas' house?
5. Does Huck tell the Welshman the Spaniard's true identity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom treat Amy Lawrence when he comes back to school?
2. Describe what happens in the courtroom during Tom's testimony.
3. What does Tom think when he's whipped for ruining his schoolbook?
4. What is Tom's approach to finding buried treasure?
5. How does Tom feel when Injun Joe is found dead?
6. What happens during Tom's speech on examination day?
7. What is Tom's prior experience with the boy he saw Becky with?
8. Describe what happens the first time Becky goes to sleep in the cave.
9. How does Mrs. Thatcher react as Tuesday comes and Becky is still missing?
10. Why does Injun Joe want to harm the Widow Douglas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Superstition and myth is an important part of Tom Sawyer's worldview. Discuss superstition and myth in the novel.
1) What superstitions and myths does Tom believe in? Why does Tom believe in these superstitions and myths?
2) What does Tom do when events in reality contradict the myths or superstitions he believes in? Why does he react this way?
3) What are the other characters' opinions and beliefs about myths, superstitions, or the supernatural? How does Tom use Polly's belief in the supernatural to manipulate her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss religion in the novel.
1) Is Tom religious? Discuss his reactions to Sunday school, his behavior in church, his beliefs in superstition, and his beliefs about the afterlife.
2) What role does religion play in Tom's family? What purposes does the Sunday-morning family ritual serve?
3) Do the community's religious leaders influence thought in the community? How?
Essay Topic 3
Tom Sawyer never learns his verses in Sunday School, and he doesn't seem to interested in his schoolwork during the week, either. However, Tom knows passages of Robin Hood by heart, which he reenacts with great accuracy.
1) What is the role of interest and engagement in learning? Why is Tom drawn to some types of learning but not others?
2) How could Tom's teachers make learning more interesting for him?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)