|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Joe found in the cave to eat?
2. What food do Tom and Becky have left from the picnic?
3. What reason does Tom give Becky for his shout, when he sees Injun Joe?
4. What color is the schoolmaster's bald head, when the pranksters cause a cat to snatch his wig away?
5. What is Tom's attitude when he first takes the stand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom say that people often find that leads them to a buried treasure?
2. How does Mrs. Thatcher react as Tuesday comes and Becky is still missing?
3. What is the town's reaction after the murder trial?
4. Does the Welshman take credit for saving Widow Douglas?
5. Why does Injun Joe want to harm the Widow Douglas?
6. What happens to Tom and Huck's treasure?
7. What is Tom's prior experience with the boy he saw Becky with?
8. What does Tom think when he's whipped for ruining his schoolbook?
9. What evidence of Becky and Tom do the searchers find in the cave?
10. Describe what happens in the courtroom during Tom's testimony.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bravery is an important issue in the novel. For example, when Tom Sawyer bravely takes on Becky's punishment, he wins her love.
1) In what ways is Tom Sawyer brave and in what ways is he not brave? What leads to Tom's brave acts?
2) What other characters exhibit bravery, and what is their motivation?
3) Does bravery have any disadvantages or negative aspects in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss religion in the novel.
1) Is Tom religious? Discuss his reactions to Sunday school, his behavior in church, his beliefs in superstition, and his beliefs about the afterlife.
2) What role does religion play in Tom's family? What purposes does the Sunday-morning family ritual serve?
3) Do the community's religious leaders influence thought in the community? How?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, people show off, or posture. Tom shows off when he wants to get Becky's attention, but showing off is not just for children. The Sunday School teacher shows off for important guests, and the schoolmaster shows off for the parents and town.
1) Why do the characters in the novel show off? What do they hope to gain?
2) What different forms does "showing off" take? Why are these actions supposed to impress others?
3) How aware are the characters of others' "showing off"? How effective is it?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)