Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the schoolmaster's bald head, when the pranksters cause a cat to snatch his wig away?
2. What is the cave opening shaped like?
3. Why does Tom join the Cadets of Temperance?
4. What happens to Injun Joe's accomplice?
5. Does Huck tell the Welshman the Spaniard's true identity?
The novel contains many examples of guilt and self-condemnation. For example, Muff Potter condemns himself for a crime he didn't commit, saying it's right that he should die for it, while Tom and Huck are overcome with guilt for not telling what they know.
1) Tom is always misbehaving and doesn't feel guilty at all. What types of circumstances will or won't make Tom feel guilty?
2) Muff Potter and Huck Finn both feel that they deserve condemnation, in part because of the society's condemnation of them. How does societal condemnation relate to self-condemnation?
3) In what ways is guilt a valuable feeling? How does it help or hinder the characters? Use examples from the novel.
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is filled with stereotypes. Discuss stereotypes in the novel.
1) What are the racial stereotypes in the novel? How is Injun Joe a stereotype of the author, and how is he stereotyped by the town?
2) What are the gender stereotypes in the novel? Discuss Aunt Polly, Widow Douglas, Becky Thatcher, and Amy Lawrence as examples of female stereotypes.
3) How are Tom Sawyer and Huck Finns stereotypes of boys?
Injun Joe is motivated to murder out of revenge. Discuss Injun Joe's desire for revenge.
1) What has happened to Injun Joe that caused him to seek revenge? Why have these events happened to Injun Joe?
2) What characteristics of Injun Joe's personality lead to him seeking revenge? To what extent is Joe's desire for revenge fueled by his personality, and to what extent is it fueled by how others have treated him?
3) Widow Douglas says of Huck that God's hand is seen in every creature he makes. Is this true of Injun Joe as well?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)