Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the schoolmaster's bald head, when the pranksters cause a cat to snatch his wig away?
2. What is the cave opening shaped like?
3. Why does Tom join the Cadets of Temperance?
4. What happens to Injun Joe's accomplice?
5. Does Huck tell the Welshman the Spaniard's true identity?
Essay Topic 1
Tom Sawyer is set in a small town in middle-America in the mid-1800s. Discuss the importance of the setting of Tom Sawyer.
1) How are the qualities of Tom's childhood determined by the setting?
2) What type of independence does the setting allow Tom? What types of constraints does the setting put on Tom?
3) How might Tom's childhood be different in a different location or time?
Essay Topic 2
Injun Joe is motivated to murder out of revenge. Discuss Injun Joe's desire for revenge.
1) What has happened to Injun Joe that caused him to seek revenge? Why have these events happened to Injun Joe?
2) What characteristics of Injun Joe's personality lead to him seeking revenge? To what extent is Joe's desire for revenge fueled by his personality, and to what extent is it fueled by how others have treated him?
3) Widow Douglas says of Huck that God's hand is seen in every creature he makes. Is this true of Injun Joe as well?
Essay Topic 3
As the author says, the story of Tom Sawyer is the story of a boy, and at the end of the story, he is on his way to manhood. Describe how The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is a coming of age story. What are the qualities of boyhood in Tom during the story? What are the qualities that make a person adult in the story? What steps does Tom take toward adulthood? How much further does Tom have to go toward adulthood at the end of the novel?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)