|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the first closet Huck and Tom search in the haunted house?
2. Before the trial, does any of the town gossip speculate that Muff Potter is innocent?
3. What color is the schoolmaster's bald head, when the pranksters cause a cat to snatch his wig away?
4. How does Judge Frazer let Tom down?
5. What is Muff Potter's reaction when Tom is called as a witness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens the first time Becky goes to sleep in the cave.
2. How does Becky react when she first realizes she and Tom are lost?
3. How does Tom feel when Injun Joe is found dead?
4. Where does Tom think he's found No. 2?
5. What happens to Tom and Huck's treasure?
6. How does Mrs. Thatcher react as Tuesday comes and Becky is still missing?
7. What is the town's reaction after the murder trial?
8. Describe what happens in the courtroom during Tom's testimony.
9. What does Tom say that people often find that leads them to a buried treasure?
10. What is Tom's prior experience with the boy he saw Becky with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tom Sawyer is a dramatic person. He creates melodrama out of the events of his life.
1) Why does Tom Sawyer take on a melodramatic attitude of pining for Becky and then depression when Becky rejects him? Who is this attitude aimed at?
2) How and why does Tom dramatize the things that he does, such as running away to become a pirate? Why does Tom choose to let his family suffer, thinking he's dead, so that he can make his reemergence more dramatic?
3) What is the origin of Tom's desire for drama?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, people show off, or posture. Tom shows off when he wants to get Becky's attention, but showing off is not just for children. The Sunday School teacher shows off for important guests, and the schoolmaster shows off for the parents and town.
1) Why do the characters in the novel show off? What do they hope to gain?
2) What different forms does "showing off" take? Why are these actions supposed to impress others?
3) How aware are the characters of others' "showing off"? How effective is it?
Essay Topic 3
As the author says, the story of Tom Sawyer is the story of a boy, and at the end of the story, he is on his way to manhood. Describe how The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is a coming of age story. What are the qualities of boyhood in Tom during the story? What are the qualities that make a person adult in the story? What steps does Tom take toward adulthood? How much further does Tom have to go toward adulthood at the end of the novel?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)