|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom and Huck's treasure lead local men to do?
2. When Tom awakens the next morning, what does he think of his and Huck's adventure in the haunted house?
3. Who takes care of Huck when he's ill?
4. Why do Tom and Huck think it's useless to break Muff out of prison?
5. What food do Tom and Becky have left from the picnic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Spaniard.
2. Describe what happens the first time Becky goes to sleep in the cave.
3. Why does Injun Joe want to harm the Widow Douglas?
4. What is Tom's prior experience with the boy he saw Becky with?
5. What is kept in the mysterious room at the tavern?
6. What happens at the Fourth of July celebration?
7. How does Tom treat Amy Lawrence when he comes back to school?
8. What happens during Tom's speech on examination day?
9. What evidence of Becky and Tom do the searchers find in the cave?
10. How does Becky react when she first realizes she and Tom are lost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is filled with stereotypes. Discuss stereotypes in the novel.
1) What are the racial stereotypes in the novel? How is Injun Joe a stereotype of the author, and how is he stereotyped by the town?
2) What are the gender stereotypes in the novel? Discuss Aunt Polly, Widow Douglas, Becky Thatcher, and Amy Lawrence as examples of female stereotypes.
3) How are Tom Sawyer and Huck Finns stereotypes of boys?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss morality and punishment in the novel.
1) Why does Aunt Polly feel morally obligated to punish Tom? Where does the belief that she should punish Tom come from?
2) How do Tom and Huck define morality? Do they think of themselves as moral people? Why or why not?
3) How do Tom and Huck view punishment? What does punishing the boys accomplish?
Essay Topic 3
Culture is the values, beliefs, and attitudes of a society, reflected in what they do and make and how they communicate. Describe the culture of Tom and Huck's town. What do the townspeople value and admire? What are the religious and political beliefs and values of the town? How do they enforce good behavior? What are the beliefs about child-rearing? What other important beliefs or attitudes can you identify?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)