|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By Monday morning, what do the men searching the cave send word to town for?
2. What is Tom's attitude when he first takes the stand?
3. What happens to Injun Joe's accomplice?
4. What does Tom fear whenever someone gossips to him about the murder?
5. What does Widow Douglas say she will do for Huck?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Becky react when she first realizes she and Tom are lost?
2. Why does Injun Joe want to harm the Widow Douglas?
3. Describe the Spaniard.
4. What does Tom think when he's whipped for ruining his schoolbook?
5. What evidence of Becky and Tom do the searchers find in the cave?
6. What does Tom say that people often find that leads them to a buried treasure?
7. How does Mrs. Thatcher react as Tuesday comes and Becky is still missing?
8. How does Tom treat Amy Lawrence when he comes back to school?
9. How does Tom feel when Injun Joe is found dead?
10. Describe what happens the first time Becky goes to sleep in the cave.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Culture is the values, beliefs, and attitudes of a society, reflected in what they do and make and how they communicate. Describe the culture of Tom and Huck's town. What do the townspeople value and admire? What are the religious and political beliefs and values of the town? How do they enforce good behavior? What are the beliefs about child-rearing? What other important beliefs or attitudes can you identify?
Essay Topic 2
Bravery is an important issue in the novel. For example, when Tom Sawyer bravely takes on Becky's punishment, he wins her love.
1) In what ways is Tom Sawyer brave and in what ways is he not brave? What leads to Tom's brave acts?
2) What other characters exhibit bravery, and what is their motivation?
3) Does bravery have any disadvantages or negative aspects in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, people show off, or posture. Tom shows off when he wants to get Becky's attention, but showing off is not just for children. The Sunday School teacher shows off for important guests, and the schoolmaster shows off for the parents and town.
1) Why do the characters in the novel show off? What do they hope to gain?
2) What different forms does "showing off" take? Why are these actions supposed to impress others?
3) How aware are the characters of others' "showing off"? How effective is it?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)