|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom threaten to do if Huck runs away from the Widow Douglas?
2. What color lights are seen in the haunted house, reportedly?
3. How does Tom react to Becky when he goes back to school?
4. What does the Welshman find where the two criminals were standing outside Widow Douglas' house?
5. What reason does Tom give for not letting Polly know he was alive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Tom think he's found No. 2?
2. How does Mrs. Thatcher react as Tuesday comes and Becky is still missing?
3. What does Tom say that people often find that leads them to a buried treasure?
4. What happens to Tom and Huck's treasure?
5. How does Tom feel when Injun Joe is found dead?
6. What does Tom think when he's whipped for ruining his schoolbook?
7. Describe Huck's reaction to living with the Widow Douglas.
8. What happens at the Fourth of July celebration?
9. Describe the Spaniard.
10. How does Becky react when she first realizes she and Tom are lost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss love and jealousy in the novel by examining the relationship between Becky and Tom.
1) Is Tom really in love with Becky? Is his love for Becky different from his "love" for Amy Lawrence, whom he so easily dismisses? How is his love of Becky different from his love for Aunt Polly?
2) Describe Becky's feelings for Tom. What attracts Becky to Tom? How deep are her emotions for him? How does the experience in the caves change their relationship?
3) How do the characters experience and use jealousy in their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Tom Sawyer never learns his verses in Sunday School, and he doesn't seem to interested in his schoolwork during the week, either. However, Tom knows passages of Robin Hood by heart, which he reenacts with great accuracy.
1) What is the role of interest and engagement in learning? Why is Tom drawn to some types of learning but not others?
2) How could Tom's teachers make learning more interesting for him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss morality and punishment in the novel.
1) Why does Aunt Polly feel morally obligated to punish Tom? Where does the belief that she should punish Tom come from?
2) How do Tom and Huck define morality? Do they think of themselves as moral people? Why or why not?
3) How do Tom and Huck view punishment? What does punishing the boys accomplish?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)