|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevented Injun Joe from taking off on Friday?
2. Why do Tom and Huck think it's useless to break Muff out of prison?
3. Where had Joe gotten water?
4. When Tom awakens the next morning, what does he think of his and Huck's adventure in the haunted house?
5. What does Tom find in No. 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Becky react when she first realizes she and Tom are lost?
2. Describe the Spaniard.
3. What evidence of Becky and Tom do the searchers find in the cave?
4. How does Tom treat Amy Lawrence when he comes back to school?
5. What does Tom say that people often find that leads them to a buried treasure?
6. Does the Welshman take credit for saving Widow Douglas?
7. Describe Huck's reaction to living with the Widow Douglas.
8. What happens at the Fourth of July celebration?
9. Describe what happens in the courtroom during Tom's testimony.
10. Describe what happens the first time Becky goes to sleep in the cave.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tom Sawyer lives in a world of fantasy. Not only does he play Robin Hood, but he imagines that adventure stories about pirates and robbers are true, as well as stories of witches, ghosts, and magic. Discuss fantasy and reality in the novel.
1) In what ways does Tom's experience of fiction change the way he views the world?
2) How do Tom's fantasy games become reality?
3) How does Tom twist reality to make it more fantastical?
Essay Topic 2
Superstition and myth is an important part of Tom Sawyer's worldview. Discuss superstition and myth in the novel.
1) What superstitions and myths does Tom believe in? Why does Tom believe in these superstitions and myths?
2) What does Tom do when events in reality contradict the myths or superstitions he believes in? Why does he react this way?
3) What are the other characters' opinions and beliefs about myths, superstitions, or the supernatural? How does Tom use Polly's belief in the supernatural to manipulate her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss religion in the novel.
1) Is Tom religious? Discuss his reactions to Sunday school, his behavior in church, his beliefs in superstition, and his beliefs about the afterlife.
2) What role does religion play in Tom's family? What purposes does the Sunday-morning family ritual serve?
3) Do the community's religious leaders influence thought in the community? How?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)