Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the schoolmaster's bald head, when the pranksters cause a cat to snatch his wig away?
2. What is the cave opening shaped like?
3. Why does Tom join the Cadets of Temperance?
4. What happens to Injun Joe's accomplice?
5. Does Huck tell the Welshman the Spaniard's true identity?
Essay Topic 1
Tom Sawyer is set in a small town in middle-America in the mid-1800s. Discuss the importance of the setting of Tom Sawyer.
1) How are the qualities of Tom's childhood determined by the setting?
2) What type of independence does the setting allow Tom? What types of constraints does the setting put on Tom?
3) How might Tom's childhood be different in a different location or time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what creates value and desire in the novel.
1) How does Tom manipulate value and desire to get the other boys to whitewash the fence for him? Why does this work? Is it realistic?
2) Why are Tom and Huck willing to put in hard labor to search for imagined treasure? Why does Tom decide he will stay overnight at the Widow Douglas' house instead of waiting for Huck's signal, when the possible treasure is more immediate and real?
3) Why does Tom feel an intense desire to swear, smoke, chew, and do other forbidden acts while he's a member of the temperance group but loses his desire as soon as he leaves the group?
Essay Topic 3
Tom Sawyer never learns his verses in Sunday School, and he doesn't seem to interested in his schoolwork during the week, either. However, Tom knows passages of Robin Hood by heart, which he reenacts with great accuracy.
1) What is the role of interest and engagement in learning? Why is Tom drawn to some types of learning but not others?
2) How could Tom's teachers make learning more interesting for him?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)