|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Judge Frazer let Tom down?
2. What does Tom find in No. 2?
3. How did the boys get to shore from their island?
4. Does Huck tell the Welshman the Spaniard's true identity?
5. What speech does Tom make on examination day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the Fourth of July celebration?
2. What does Tom say that people often find that leads them to a buried treasure?
3. How does Tom feel when Injun Joe is found dead?
4. What happens during Tom's speech on examination day?
5. What evidence of Becky and Tom do the searchers find in the cave?
6. How does Becky react when she first realizes she and Tom are lost?
7. What good deed does Tom do for Becky?
8. What is Tom's prior experience with the boy he saw Becky with?
9. Does the Welshman take credit for saving Widow Douglas?
10. What does Tom think when he's whipped for ruining his schoolbook?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel contains many examples of guilt and self-condemnation. For example, Muff Potter condemns himself for a crime he didn't commit, saying it's right that he should die for it, while Tom and Huck are overcome with guilt for not telling what they know.
1) Tom is always misbehaving and doesn't feel guilty at all. What types of circumstances will or won't make Tom feel guilty?
2) Muff Potter and Huck Finn both feel that they deserve condemnation, in part because of the society's condemnation of them. How does societal condemnation relate to self-condemnation?
3) In what ways is guilt a valuable feeling? How does it help or hinder the characters? Use examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss love and jealousy in the novel by examining the relationship between Becky and Tom.
1) Is Tom really in love with Becky? Is his love for Becky different from his "love" for Amy Lawrence, whom he so easily dismisses? How is his love of Becky different from his love for Aunt Polly?
2) Describe Becky's feelings for Tom. What attracts Becky to Tom? How deep are her emotions for him? How does the experience in the caves change their relationship?
3) How do the characters experience and use jealousy in their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what creates value and desire in the novel.
1) How does Tom manipulate value and desire to get the other boys to whitewash the fence for him? Why does this work? Is it realistic?
2) Why are Tom and Huck willing to put in hard labor to search for imagined treasure? Why does Tom decide he will stay overnight at the Widow Douglas' house instead of waiting for Huck's signal, when the possible treasure is more immediate and real?
3) Why does Tom feel an intense desire to swear, smoke, chew, and do other forbidden acts while he's a member of the temperance group but loses his desire as soon as he leaves the group?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)