|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Widow Douglas say she will do for Huck?
2. How does Becky make Tom jealous?
3. What speech does Tom make on examination day?
4. What reason does Tom give for not letting Polly know he was alive?
5. What does the boy Becky spent time with do to Tom when he finds out he's been used?
Essay Topic 1
Injun Joe is motivated to murder out of revenge. Discuss Injun Joe's desire for revenge.
1) What has happened to Injun Joe that caused him to seek revenge? Why have these events happened to Injun Joe?
2) What characteristics of Injun Joe's personality lead to him seeking revenge? To what extent is Joe's desire for revenge fueled by his personality, and to what extent is it fueled by how others have treated him?
3) Widow Douglas says of Huck that God's hand is seen in every creature he makes. Is this true of Injun Joe as well?
Essay Topic 2
Tom Sawyer is a mischievous trickster. Discuss the role of mischief and trickery in the novel.
1) Aunt Polly scolds and punishes Tom for his mischief, but she forgives him easily, too. When Tom thinks he'll die, he believes he'll go to hell for his misbehavior, but at his funeral, the pastor has nothing but good to say of the boys. How bad or wrong is Tom's mischief?
2) Why does Tom misbehave? What does Tom gain from his antics, and is the gain worth the price?
3) Besides Tom, how do other characters get into mischief? Compare and contrast other characters' mischievous behavior with Tom's.
Essay Topic 3
Tom Sawyer never learns his verses in Sunday School, and he doesn't seem to interested in his schoolwork during the week, either. However, Tom knows passages of Robin Hood by heart, which he reenacts with great accuracy.
1) What is the role of interest and engagement in learning? Why is Tom drawn to some types of learning but not others?
2) How could Tom's teachers make learning more interesting for him?
This section contains 1,925 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)