|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tom awakens the next morning, what does he think of his and Huck's adventure in the haunted house?
2. What does Tom threaten to do if Huck runs away from the Widow Douglas?
3. Why does Tom remember to grab the towel before running?
4. What does Widow Douglas say she will do for Huck?
5. How does Tom react to Becky when he goes back to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the town's reaction after the murder trial?
2. What does Tom think when he's whipped for ruining his schoolbook?
3. What happens during Tom's speech on examination day?
4. How does Becky react when she first realizes she and Tom are lost?
5. How does Mrs. Thatcher react as Tuesday comes and Becky is still missing?
6. What does Tom say that people often find that leads them to a buried treasure?
7. What is Tom's approach to finding buried treasure?
8. What good deed does Tom do for Becky?
9. What is Tom's prior experience with the boy he saw Becky with?
10. Describe Huck's reaction to living with the Widow Douglas.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
1) In what ways is the structure of the novel episodic? What does the episodic nature of the novel add to its story?
2) What things does the author keep from the reader to build suspense? How does the author use surprise?
3) How does the structure of the novel follow the stages of Tom's development?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss religion in the novel.
1) Is Tom religious? Discuss his reactions to Sunday school, his behavior in church, his beliefs in superstition, and his beliefs about the afterlife.
2) What role does religion play in Tom's family? What purposes does the Sunday-morning family ritual serve?
3) Do the community's religious leaders influence thought in the community? How?
Essay Topic 3
Superstition and myth is an important part of Tom Sawyer's worldview. Discuss superstition and myth in the novel.
1) What superstitions and myths does Tom believe in? Why does Tom believe in these superstitions and myths?
2) What does Tom do when events in reality contradict the myths or superstitions he believes in? Why does he react this way?
3) What are the other characters' opinions and beliefs about myths, superstitions, or the supernatural? How does Tom use Polly's belief in the supernatural to manipulate her?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)