|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Joe tell his partner he plans on running after the "dangerous" job?
2. How does Tom react to Becky when he goes back to school?
3. When does Mrs. Thatcher find out that Becky's not where she's supposed to be?
4. How does Polly learn that Tom was lying about his dream?
5. What does Tom dump onto the table?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Spaniard.
2. What does Tom say that people often find that leads them to a buried treasure?
3. What good deed does Tom do for Becky?
4. What is Tom's prior experience with the boy he saw Becky with?
5. What happens at the Fourth of July celebration?
6. What happens during Tom's speech on examination day?
7. Does the Welshman take credit for saving Widow Douglas?
8. What happens to Tom and Huck's treasure?
9. Describe what happens in the courtroom during Tom's testimony.
10. Where does Tom think he's found No. 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
1) In what ways is the structure of the novel episodic? What does the episodic nature of the novel add to its story?
2) What things does the author keep from the reader to build suspense? How does the author use surprise?
3) How does the structure of the novel follow the stages of Tom's development?
Essay Topic 2
Tom Sawyer lives in a world of fantasy. Not only does he play Robin Hood, but he imagines that adventure stories about pirates and robbers are true, as well as stories of witches, ghosts, and magic. Discuss fantasy and reality in the novel.
1) In what ways does Tom's experience of fiction change the way he views the world?
2) How do Tom's fantasy games become reality?
3) How does Tom twist reality to make it more fantastical?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss religion in the novel.
1) Is Tom religious? Discuss his reactions to Sunday school, his behavior in church, his beliefs in superstition, and his beliefs about the afterlife.
2) What role does religion play in Tom's family? What purposes does the Sunday-morning family ritual serve?
3) Do the community's religious leaders influence thought in the community? How?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)