|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Becky do that she thinks will get her in trouble?
2. When does Mrs. Thatcher find out that Becky's not where she's supposed to be?
3. What speech does Tom make on examination day?
4. What does Tom say the Widow Douglas has for children?
5. What does Tom say that robbers bury under a tree with their treasure?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Becky react when she first realizes she and Tom are lost?
2. Describe the Spaniard.
3. Describe what happens in the courtroom during Tom's testimony.
4. What is the town's reaction after the murder trial?
5. How does Tom feel when Injun Joe is found dead?
6. Describe what happens the first time Becky goes to sleep in the cave.
7. How does Mrs. Thatcher react as Tuesday comes and Becky is still missing?
8. What does Tom think when he's whipped for ruining his schoolbook?
9. What does Tom say that people often find that leads them to a buried treasure?
10. How does Tom treat Amy Lawrence when he comes back to school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
1) In what ways is the structure of the novel episodic? What does the episodic nature of the novel add to its story?
2) What things does the author keep from the reader to build suspense? How does the author use surprise?
3) How does the structure of the novel follow the stages of Tom's development?
Essay Topic 2
Culture is the values, beliefs, and attitudes of a society, reflected in what they do and make and how they communicate. Describe the culture of Tom and Huck's town. What do the townspeople value and admire? What are the religious and political beliefs and values of the town? How do they enforce good behavior? What are the beliefs about child-rearing? What other important beliefs or attitudes can you identify?
Essay Topic 3
Tom Sawyer is set in a small town in middle-America in the mid-1800s. Discuss the importance of the setting of Tom Sawyer.
1) How are the qualities of Tom's childhood determined by the setting?
2) What type of independence does the setting allow Tom? What types of constraints does the setting put on Tom?
3) How might Tom's childhood be different in a different location or time?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)