|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tom say robbers fail to come get their treasures?
2. What is in the first closet Huck and Tom search in the haunted house?
3. What color is the schoolmaster's bald head, when the pranksters cause a cat to snatch his wig away?
4. Who tells Tom that the Welshman is going to announce Huck's role in saving the Widow Douglas?
5. What does Tom say the Widow Douglas has for children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom think when he's whipped for ruining his schoolbook?
2. How does Mrs. Thatcher react as Tuesday comes and Becky is still missing?
3. What good deed does Tom do for Becky?
4. What happens during Tom's speech on examination day?
5. What is kept in the mysterious room at the tavern?
6. Why does Injun Joe want to harm the Widow Douglas?
7. What is the town's reaction after the murder trial?
8. Does the Welshman take credit for saving Widow Douglas?
9. What is Tom's approach to finding buried treasure?
10. Describe Huck's reaction to living with the Widow Douglas.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss love and jealousy in the novel by examining the relationship between Becky and Tom.
1) Is Tom really in love with Becky? Is his love for Becky different from his "love" for Amy Lawrence, whom he so easily dismisses? How is his love of Becky different from his love for Aunt Polly?
2) Describe Becky's feelings for Tom. What attracts Becky to Tom? How deep are her emotions for him? How does the experience in the caves change their relationship?
3) How do the characters experience and use jealousy in their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Culture is the values, beliefs, and attitudes of a society, reflected in what they do and make and how they communicate. Describe the culture of Tom and Huck's town. What do the townspeople value and admire? What are the religious and political beliefs and values of the town? How do they enforce good behavior? What are the beliefs about child-rearing? What other important beliefs or attitudes can you identify?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss morality and punishment in the novel.
1) Why does Aunt Polly feel morally obligated to punish Tom? Where does the belief that she should punish Tom come from?
2) How do Tom and Huck define morality? Do they think of themselves as moral people? Why or why not?
3) How do Tom and Huck view punishment? What does punishing the boys accomplish?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)