Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the schoolmaster's bald head, when the pranksters cause a cat to snatch his wig away?
2. What is the cave opening shaped like?
3. Why does Tom join the Cadets of Temperance?
4. What happens to Injun Joe's accomplice?
5. Does Huck tell the Welshman the Spaniard's true identity?
Essay Topic 1
As the author says, the story of Tom Sawyer is the story of a boy, and at the end of the story, he is on his way to manhood. Describe how The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is a coming of age story. What are the qualities of boyhood in Tom during the story? What are the qualities that make a person adult in the story? What steps does Tom take toward adulthood? How much further does Tom have to go toward adulthood at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss love and jealousy in the novel by examining the relationship between Becky and Tom.
1) Is Tom really in love with Becky? Is his love for Becky different from his "love" for Amy Lawrence, whom he so easily dismisses? How is his love of Becky different from his love for Aunt Polly?
2) Describe Becky's feelings for Tom. What attracts Becky to Tom? How deep are her emotions for him? How does the experience in the caves change their relationship?
3) How do the characters experience and use jealousy in their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Tom Sawyer lives in a world of fantasy. Not only does he play Robin Hood, but he imagines that adventure stories about pirates and robbers are true, as well as stories of witches, ghosts, and magic. Discuss fantasy and reality in the novel.
1) In what ways does Tom's experience of fiction change the way he views the world?
2) How do Tom's fantasy games become reality?
3) How does Tom twist reality to make it more fantastical?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)