|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom say that he dreamed?
2. What makes Aunt Polly able to forgive Tom anything?
3. What is found by Injun Joe's body?
4. Who is the first friend who agrees to go hunting for treasure with Tom?
5. How did the boys get to shore from their island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tom Sawyer lives in a world of fantasy. Not only does he play Robin Hood, but he imagines that adventure stories about pirates and robbers are true, as well as stories of witches, ghosts, and magic. Discuss fantasy and reality in the novel.
1) In what ways does Tom's experience of fiction change the way he views the world?
2) How do Tom's fantasy games become reality?
3) How does Tom twist reality to make it more fantastical?
Essay Topic 2
Bravery is an important issue in the novel. For example, when Tom Sawyer bravely takes on Becky's punishment, he wins her love.
1) In what ways is Tom Sawyer brave and in what ways is he not brave? What leads to Tom's brave acts?
2) What other characters exhibit bravery, and what is their motivation?
3) Does bravery have any disadvantages or negative aspects in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Superstition and myth is an important part of Tom Sawyer's worldview. Discuss superstition and myth in the novel.
1) What superstitions and myths does Tom believe in? Why does Tom believe in these superstitions and myths?
2) What does Tom do when events in reality contradict the myths or superstitions he believes in? Why does he react this way?
3) What are the other characters' opinions and beliefs about myths, superstitions, or the supernatural? How does Tom use Polly's belief in the supernatural to manipulate her?
This section contains 1,910 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)