|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom and Huck's treasure lead local men to do?
2. Who takes care of Huck when he's ill?
3. What do Tom and Huck do instead of going to the haunted house?
4. Why do Tom and Huck think it's useless to break Muff out of prison?
5. Where does Joe tell his partner he plans on running after the "dangerous" job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens the first time Becky goes to sleep in the cave.
2. What happens at the Fourth of July celebration?
3. What happens to Tom and Huck's treasure?
4. How does Mrs. Thatcher react as Tuesday comes and Becky is still missing?
5. Describe the Spaniard.
6. What evidence of Becky and Tom do the searchers find in the cave?
7. What is Tom's prior experience with the boy he saw Becky with?
8. Why does Injun Joe want to harm the Widow Douglas?
9. How does Tom feel when Injun Joe is found dead?
10. Describe what happens in the courtroom during Tom's testimony.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tom Sawyer is set in a small town in middle-America in the mid-1800s. Discuss the importance of the setting of Tom Sawyer.
1) How are the qualities of Tom's childhood determined by the setting?
2) What type of independence does the setting allow Tom? What types of constraints does the setting put on Tom?
3) How might Tom's childhood be different in a different location or time?
Essay Topic 2
Tom Sawyer is a mischievous trickster. Discuss the role of mischief and trickery in the novel.
1) Aunt Polly scolds and punishes Tom for his mischief, but she forgives him easily, too. When Tom thinks he'll die, he believes he'll go to hell for his misbehavior, but at his funeral, the pastor has nothing but good to say of the boys. How bad or wrong is Tom's mischief?
2) Why does Tom misbehave? What does Tom gain from his antics, and is the gain worth the price?
3) Besides Tom, how do other characters get into mischief? Compare and contrast other characters' mischievous behavior with Tom's.
Essay Topic 3
Bravery is an important issue in the novel. For example, when Tom Sawyer bravely takes on Becky's punishment, he wins her love.
1) In what ways is Tom Sawyer brave and in what ways is he not brave? What leads to Tom's brave acts?
2) What other characters exhibit bravery, and what is their motivation?
3) Does bravery have any disadvantages or negative aspects in the novel?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)