|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tom's attitude when he first takes the stand?
2. What is in the first closet Huck and Tom search in the haunted house?
3. What had Joe found in the cave to eat?
4. What day of the week is a bad day to visit a haunted house?
5. During the trial, what does the defense attorney ask the witness who saw Muff Potter washing at a creek?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom say that people often find that leads them to a buried treasure?
2. How does Mrs. Thatcher react as Tuesday comes and Becky is still missing?
3. Describe Huck's reaction to living with the Widow Douglas.
4. Describe what happens in the courtroom during Tom's testimony.
5. Does the Welshman take credit for saving Widow Douglas?
6. What evidence of Becky and Tom do the searchers find in the cave?
7. How does Tom treat Amy Lawrence when he comes back to school?
8. Describe what happens the first time Becky goes to sleep in the cave.
9. What happens to Tom and Huck's treasure?
10. What is Tom's prior experience with the boy he saw Becky with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Superstition and myth is an important part of Tom Sawyer's worldview. Discuss superstition and myth in the novel.
1) What superstitions and myths does Tom believe in? Why does Tom believe in these superstitions and myths?
2) What does Tom do when events in reality contradict the myths or superstitions he believes in? Why does he react this way?
3) What are the other characters' opinions and beliefs about myths, superstitions, or the supernatural? How does Tom use Polly's belief in the supernatural to manipulate her?
Essay Topic 2
Tom Sawyer lives in a world of fantasy. Not only does he play Robin Hood, but he imagines that adventure stories about pirates and robbers are true, as well as stories of witches, ghosts, and magic. Discuss fantasy and reality in the novel.
1) In what ways does Tom's experience of fiction change the way he views the world?
2) How do Tom's fantasy games become reality?
3) How does Tom twist reality to make it more fantastical?
Essay Topic 3
Huck Finn feels constrained by the Widow Douglas, just as Tom feels constrained by his Sunday shoes. Discuss freedom in the novel, and how freedom conflicts with civilization.
1) What does Huck Finn find constricting about civilization?
2) The boys admire and emulate outlaws. Why do they admire fictional outlaws? How do they feel about the real outlaws in the novel?
3) Tom Sawyer admires Huck for his free lifestyle, and yet at the end of the novel, he convinces Huck to stay with the Widow Douglas. Why does he do this?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)