|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far away from the cave entrance are Becky and Tom when they emerge?
2. What is Tom's attitude when he first takes the stand?
3. What makes Aunt Polly able to forgive Tom anything?
4. What does Tom dump onto the table?
5. What does Becky do that she thinks will get her in trouble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bravery is an important issue in the novel. For example, when Tom Sawyer bravely takes on Becky's punishment, he wins her love.
1) In what ways is Tom Sawyer brave and in what ways is he not brave? What leads to Tom's brave acts?
2) What other characters exhibit bravery, and what is their motivation?
3) Does bravery have any disadvantages or negative aspects in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Tom Sawyer lives in a world of fantasy. Not only does he play Robin Hood, but he imagines that adventure stories about pirates and robbers are true, as well as stories of witches, ghosts, and magic. Discuss fantasy and reality in the novel.
1) In what ways does Tom's experience of fiction change the way he views the world?
2) How do Tom's fantasy games become reality?
3) How does Tom twist reality to make it more fantastical?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss morality and punishment in the novel.
1) Why does Aunt Polly feel morally obligated to punish Tom? Where does the belief that she should punish Tom come from?
2) How do Tom and Huck define morality? Do they think of themselves as moral people? Why or why not?
3) How do Tom and Huck view punishment? What does punishing the boys accomplish?
This section contains 1,884 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)