|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tom blow out Becky's candle?
2. Why does Tom say robbers fail to come get their treasures?
3. When does Mrs. Thatcher find out that Becky's not where she's supposed to be?
4. What disconcerts Becky when Tom shouts to the other picnickers?
5. Where had Joe gotten water?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the town's reaction after the murder trial?
2. What is kept in the mysterious room at the tavern?
3. Does the Welshman take credit for saving Widow Douglas?
4. What is Tom's prior experience with the boy he saw Becky with?
5. Describe what happens in the courtroom during Tom's testimony.
6. How does Tom treat Amy Lawrence when he comes back to school?
7. What evidence of Becky and Tom do the searchers find in the cave?
8. How does Tom feel when Injun Joe is found dead?
9. What is Tom's approach to finding buried treasure?
10. What does Tom think when he's whipped for ruining his schoolbook?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss love and jealousy in the novel by examining the relationship between Becky and Tom.
1) Is Tom really in love with Becky? Is his love for Becky different from his "love" for Amy Lawrence, whom he so easily dismisses? How is his love of Becky different from his love for Aunt Polly?
2) Describe Becky's feelings for Tom. What attracts Becky to Tom? How deep are her emotions for him? How does the experience in the caves change their relationship?
3) How do the characters experience and use jealousy in their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is filled with stereotypes. Discuss stereotypes in the novel.
1) What are the racial stereotypes in the novel? How is Injun Joe a stereotype of the author, and how is he stereotyped by the town?
2) What are the gender stereotypes in the novel? Discuss Aunt Polly, Widow Douglas, Becky Thatcher, and Amy Lawrence as examples of female stereotypes.
3) How are Tom Sawyer and Huck Finns stereotypes of boys?
Essay Topic 3
Injun Joe is motivated to murder out of revenge. Discuss Injun Joe's desire for revenge.
1) What has happened to Injun Joe that caused him to seek revenge? Why have these events happened to Injun Joe?
2) What characteristics of Injun Joe's personality lead to him seeking revenge? To what extent is Joe's desire for revenge fueled by his personality, and to what extent is it fueled by how others have treated him?
3) Widow Douglas says of Huck that God's hand is seen in every creature he makes. Is this true of Injun Joe as well?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)