Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary promise Tom for memorizing his Bible verses?
2. What does Muff leave behind?
3. How does Tom get his tickets?
4. Why does Tom decide to run away?
5. How does Huck sign his name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the boys' reactions to realizing that the townspeople think they're dead?
2. What happens to Tom and Huck's treasure?
3. How are Sid and Tom different?
4. How does Tom get shooed away from Jeff Thatcher's house?
5. What is kept in the mysterious room at the tavern?
6. Describe Polly's reaction when Tom says he's done with the whitewashing.
7. What mistake does Tom make that gives away to Polly that he played hooky?
8. What do the villagers want to do to Injun Joe?
9. What about Tom's behavior at school strikes Sid as strange?
10. What is Tom and Joe's plan to run away?
Essay Topic 1
Tom Sawyer is a mischievous trickster. Discuss the role of mischief and trickery in the novel.
1) Aunt Polly scolds and punishes Tom for his mischief, but she forgives him easily, too. When Tom thinks he'll die, he believes he'll go to hell for his misbehavior, but at his funeral, the pastor has nothing but good to say of the boys. How bad or wrong is Tom's mischief?
2) Why does Tom misbehave? What does Tom gain from his antics, and is the gain worth the price?
3) Besides Tom, how do other characters get into mischief? Compare and contrast other characters' mischievous behavior with Tom's.
Essay Topic 2
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is filled with stereotypes. Discuss stereotypes in the novel.
1) What are the racial stereotypes in the novel? How is Injun Joe a stereotype of the author, and how is he stereotyped by the town?
2) What are the gender stereotypes in the novel? Discuss Aunt Polly, Widow Douglas, Becky Thatcher, and Amy Lawrence as examples of female stereotypes.
3) How are Tom Sawyer and Huck Finns stereotypes of boys?
Essay Topic 3
Injun Joe is motivated to murder out of revenge. Discuss Injun Joe's desire for revenge.
1) What has happened to Injun Joe that caused him to seek revenge? Why have these events happened to Injun Joe?
2) What characteristics of Injun Joe's personality lead to him seeking revenge? To what extent is Joe's desire for revenge fueled by his personality, and to what extent is it fueled by how others have treated him?
3) Widow Douglas says of Huck that God's hand is seen in every creature he makes. Is this true of Injun Joe as well?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)