|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ben Rogers doing when he comes across Tom?
2. Why does Becky miss school?
3. How does Tom wake Sid?
4. What does Tom do when he sees the new girl?
5. How is Aunt Polly related to Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tom's objection after the initial reaction to the boys' homecoming?
2. What does Sid do to try to hear what Tom is saying in his sleep?
3. What does Huck caution Tom about when speaking of the dead?
4. What does Tom tutor Becky in when they meet surreptitiously during lunch?
5. What is kept in the mysterious room at the tavern?
6. How does Tom treat Amy Lawrence when he comes back to school?
7. What do the boys do after witnessing the murder?
8. Describe Amy Lawrence's reactions during Sunday School.
9. What happens to Tom and Huck's treasure?
10. What is Tom's prior experience with the boy he saw Becky with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, people show off, or posture. Tom shows off when he wants to get Becky's attention, but showing off is not just for children. The Sunday School teacher shows off for important guests, and the schoolmaster shows off for the parents and town.
1) Why do the characters in the novel show off? What do they hope to gain?
2) What different forms does "showing off" take? Why are these actions supposed to impress others?
3) How aware are the characters of others' "showing off"? How effective is it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what creates value and desire in the novel.
1) How does Tom manipulate value and desire to get the other boys to whitewash the fence for him? Why does this work? Is it realistic?
2) Why are Tom and Huck willing to put in hard labor to search for imagined treasure? Why does Tom decide he will stay overnight at the Widow Douglas' house instead of waiting for Huck's signal, when the possible treasure is more immediate and real?
3) Why does Tom feel an intense desire to swear, smoke, chew, and do other forbidden acts while he's a member of the temperance group but loses his desire as soon as he leaves the group?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss love and jealousy in the novel by examining the relationship between Becky and Tom.
1) Is Tom really in love with Becky? Is his love for Becky different from his "love" for Amy Lawrence, whom he so easily dismisses? How is his love of Becky different from his love for Aunt Polly?
2) Describe Becky's feelings for Tom. What attracts Becky to Tom? How deep are her emotions for him? How does the experience in the caves change their relationship?
3) How do the characters experience and use jealousy in their relationship?
This section contains 2,287 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)