|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At first, what does Potter think gave him away?
2. What does Tom ask Becky?
3. What can the children get with their Sunday School tickets?
4. What animal gets into a conflict with the bug Tom has brought into church?
5. What does Sid do that Tom gets blamed for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Huck caution Tom about when speaking of the dead?
2. What do the villagers want to do to Injun Joe?
3. Describe some of the ways Tom and Huck discuss to remove warts.
4. What does Sid do to try to hear what Tom is saying in his sleep?
5. How does Tom trick other boys into doing his work for him?
6. Describe Polly's reaction when Tom says he's done with the whitewashing.
7. How does Tom find his lost marble?
8. What do the boys do after witnessing the murder?
9. What is Tom dissatisfied with by the end of the Sunday service?
10. What does the minister say about the boys at the funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is filled with stereotypes. Discuss stereotypes in the novel.
1) What are the racial stereotypes in the novel? How is Injun Joe a stereotype of the author, and how is he stereotyped by the town?
2) What are the gender stereotypes in the novel? Discuss Aunt Polly, Widow Douglas, Becky Thatcher, and Amy Lawrence as examples of female stereotypes.
3) How are Tom Sawyer and Huck Finns stereotypes of boys?
Essay Topic 2
Injun Joe is motivated to murder out of revenge. Discuss Injun Joe's desire for revenge.
1) What has happened to Injun Joe that caused him to seek revenge? Why have these events happened to Injun Joe?
2) What characteristics of Injun Joe's personality lead to him seeking revenge? To what extent is Joe's desire for revenge fueled by his personality, and to what extent is it fueled by how others have treated him?
3) Widow Douglas says of Huck that God's hand is seen in every creature he makes. Is this true of Injun Joe as well?
Essay Topic 3
Tom Sawyer never learns his verses in Sunday School, and he doesn't seem to interested in his schoolwork during the week, either. However, Tom knows passages of Robin Hood by heart, which he reenacts with great accuracy.
1) What is the role of interest and engagement in learning? Why is Tom drawn to some types of learning but not others?
2) How could Tom's teachers make learning more interesting for him?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)