|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom steal as he goes out to play after whitewashing the fence?
2. What do the boys expect to happen when Injun Joe lies about the murder?
3. What does Huck tell Tom is bound to happen if the doctor is dead?
4. What do the men fight over?
5. What wakes Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Huck Finn recall to cast doubt on the omen the boys see?
2. How does Tom trick other boys into doing his work for him?
3. What grievance does Injun Joe have against the doctor?
4. What is Tom's objection after the initial reaction to the boys' homecoming?
5. Describe the analogy between Peter, the cat, and Tom.
6. Describe Tom's high spirits at suppertime.
7. Describe the graveyard.
8. What mistake does Tom make that gives away to Polly that he played hooky?
9. What do Tom and Huck do with their pact after they sign it?
10. What do Tom and Becky talk about before their discussion turns to romance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tom Sawyer never learns his verses in Sunday School, and he doesn't seem to interested in his schoolwork during the week, either. However, Tom knows passages of Robin Hood by heart, which he reenacts with great accuracy.
1) What is the role of interest and engagement in learning? Why is Tom drawn to some types of learning but not others?
2) How could Tom's teachers make learning more interesting for him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what creates value and desire in the novel.
1) How does Tom manipulate value and desire to get the other boys to whitewash the fence for him? Why does this work? Is it realistic?
2) Why are Tom and Huck willing to put in hard labor to search for imagined treasure? Why does Tom decide he will stay overnight at the Widow Douglas' house instead of waiting for Huck's signal, when the possible treasure is more immediate and real?
3) Why does Tom feel an intense desire to swear, smoke, chew, and do other forbidden acts while he's a member of the temperance group but loses his desire as soon as he leaves the group?
Essay Topic 3
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is filled with stereotypes. Discuss stereotypes in the novel.
1) What are the racial stereotypes in the novel? How is Injun Joe a stereotype of the author, and how is he stereotyped by the town?
2) What are the gender stereotypes in the novel? Discuss Aunt Polly, Widow Douglas, Becky Thatcher, and Amy Lawrence as examples of female stereotypes.
3) How are Tom Sawyer and Huck Finns stereotypes of boys?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)