|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Muff leave behind?
2. Where does Tom sneak off to during the night on the island?
3. What does Becky wish she had?
4. Where has Tom heard of the ailment he fakes?
5. What does Aunt Polly do about Tom's loose tooth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tom's high spirits at suppertime.
2. What is Tom and Joe's plan to run away?
3. Where do Tom and Huck agree to meet next?
4. What does Tom make Becky whisper in his ear?
5. Describe Aunt Polly's dilemma in punishing Tom.
6. What grievance does Injun Joe have against the doctor?
7. What does the minister say about the boys at the funeral?
8. How does Tom find his lost marble?
9. How are Sid and Tom different?
10. What is Tom dissatisfied with by the end of the Sunday service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what creates value and desire in the novel.
1) How does Tom manipulate value and desire to get the other boys to whitewash the fence for him? Why does this work? Is it realistic?
2) Why are Tom and Huck willing to put in hard labor to search for imagined treasure? Why does Tom decide he will stay overnight at the Widow Douglas' house instead of waiting for Huck's signal, when the possible treasure is more immediate and real?
3) Why does Tom feel an intense desire to swear, smoke, chew, and do other forbidden acts while he's a member of the temperance group but loses his desire as soon as he leaves the group?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, people show off, or posture. Tom shows off when he wants to get Becky's attention, but showing off is not just for children. The Sunday School teacher shows off for important guests, and the schoolmaster shows off for the parents and town.
1) Why do the characters in the novel show off? What do they hope to gain?
2) What different forms does "showing off" take? Why are these actions supposed to impress others?
3) How aware are the characters of others' "showing off"? How effective is it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss religion in the novel.
1) Is Tom religious? Discuss his reactions to Sunday school, his behavior in church, his beliefs in superstition, and his beliefs about the afterlife.
2) What role does religion play in Tom's family? What purposes does the Sunday-morning family ritual serve?
3) Do the community's religious leaders influence thought in the community? How?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)