Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary promise Tom for memorizing his Bible verses?
2. What does Muff leave behind?
3. How does Tom get his tickets?
4. Why does Tom decide to run away?
5. How does Huck sign his name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the boys' reactions to realizing that the townspeople think they're dead?
2. What happens to Tom and Huck's treasure?
3. How are Sid and Tom different?
4. How does Tom get shooed away from Jeff Thatcher's house?
5. What is kept in the mysterious room at the tavern?
6. Describe Polly's reaction when Tom says he's done with the whitewashing.
7. What mistake does Tom make that gives away to Polly that he played hooky?
8. What do the villagers want to do to Injun Joe?
9. What about Tom's behavior at school strikes Sid as strange?
10. What is Tom and Joe's plan to run away?
Essay Topic 1
Tom Sawyer is set in a small town in middle-America in the mid-1800s. Discuss the importance of the setting of Tom Sawyer.
1) How are the qualities of Tom's childhood determined by the setting?
2) What type of independence does the setting allow Tom? What types of constraints does the setting put on Tom?
3) How might Tom's childhood be different in a different location or time?
Essay Topic 2
Culture is the values, beliefs, and attitudes of a society, reflected in what they do and make and how they communicate. Describe the culture of Tom and Huck's town. What do the townspeople value and admire? What are the religious and political beliefs and values of the town? How do they enforce good behavior? What are the beliefs about child-rearing? What other important beliefs or attitudes can you identify?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss love and jealousy in the novel by examining the relationship between Becky and Tom.
1) Is Tom really in love with Becky? Is his love for Becky different from his "love" for Amy Lawrence, whom he so easily dismisses? How is his love of Becky different from his love for Aunt Polly?
2) Describe Becky's feelings for Tom. What attracts Becky to Tom? How deep are her emotions for him? How does the experience in the caves change their relationship?
3) How do the characters experience and use jealousy in their relationship?
This section contains 2,377 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)