|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wins the battle?
2. What does Tom answer when the judge asks him who the first two apostles were?
3. What does Aunt Polly do about Tom's loose tooth?
4. What time is it, when Tom thinks it must be dawn while he is waiting to meet Huck?
5. What animal gets into a conflict with the bug Tom has brought into church?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tom and Joe's plan to run away?
2. Describe the analogy between Peter, the cat, and Tom.
3. What do the villagers want to do to Injun Joe?
4. What do the boys do after witnessing the murder?
5. What is Tom's objection after the initial reaction to the boys' homecoming?
6. Describe Tom's high spirits at suppertime.
7. Describe Amy Lawrence's reactions during Sunday School.
8. What is Aunt Polly's reaction to Tom's disappearance?
9. Describe the reaction to the Sunday School visitors.
10. How does Tom trick other boys into doing his work for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Injun Joe is motivated to murder out of revenge. Discuss Injun Joe's desire for revenge.
1) What has happened to Injun Joe that caused him to seek revenge? Why have these events happened to Injun Joe?
2) What characteristics of Injun Joe's personality lead to him seeking revenge? To what extent is Joe's desire for revenge fueled by his personality, and to what extent is it fueled by how others have treated him?
3) Widow Douglas says of Huck that God's hand is seen in every creature he makes. Is this true of Injun Joe as well?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss morality and punishment in the novel.
1) Why does Aunt Polly feel morally obligated to punish Tom? Where does the belief that she should punish Tom come from?
2) How do Tom and Huck define morality? Do they think of themselves as moral people? Why or why not?
3) How do Tom and Huck view punishment? What does punishing the boys accomplish?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss religion in the novel.
1) Is Tom religious? Discuss his reactions to Sunday school, his behavior in church, his beliefs in superstition, and his beliefs about the afterlife.
2) What role does religion play in Tom's family? What purposes does the Sunday-morning family ritual serve?
3) Do the community's religious leaders influence thought in the community? How?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)