|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom do that makes Becky cry?
2. Does Tom leave Aunt Polly his note?
3. How does Tom feel when he gets to school?
4. What do the boys eat for breakfast after running away?
5. What does Tom offer Becky to console her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Tom and Huck agree to meet next?
2. How does Tom find his lost marble?
3. Describe the graveyard.
4. Describe Tom's high spirits at suppertime.
5. Describe Polly's reaction when Tom says he's done with the whitewashing.
6. Describe what Tom draws on his slate for Becky.
7. Describe some of the ways Tom and Huck discuss to remove warts.
8. Describe the analogy between Peter, the cat, and Tom.
9. What do Tom and Huck do with their pact after they sign it?
10. How does Tom get shooed away from Jeff Thatcher's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tom Sawyer is a mischievous trickster. Discuss the role of mischief and trickery in the novel.
1) Aunt Polly scolds and punishes Tom for his mischief, but she forgives him easily, too. When Tom thinks he'll die, he believes he'll go to hell for his misbehavior, but at his funeral, the pastor has nothing but good to say of the boys. How bad or wrong is Tom's mischief?
2) Why does Tom misbehave? What does Tom gain from his antics, and is the gain worth the price?
3) Besides Tom, how do other characters get into mischief? Compare and contrast other characters' mischievous behavior with Tom's.
Essay Topic 2
Culture is the values, beliefs, and attitudes of a society, reflected in what they do and make and how they communicate. Describe the culture of Tom and Huck's town. What do the townspeople value and admire? What are the religious and political beliefs and values of the town? How do they enforce good behavior? What are the beliefs about child-rearing? What other important beliefs or attitudes can you identify?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss morality and punishment in the novel.
1) Why does Aunt Polly feel morally obligated to punish Tom? Where does the belief that she should punish Tom come from?
2) How do Tom and Huck define morality? Do they think of themselves as moral people? Why or why not?
3) How do Tom and Huck view punishment? What does punishing the boys accomplish?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)