|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the boys eat for breakfast after running away?
2. What do Tom's classmates do, that constantly remind him of his problems?
3. Who does Tom meet on his way to school?
4. What has Tom been eating that he wasn't supposed to eat?
5. What does Tom say the sound of the wind in the trees might be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Mary earned in Sunday School, and what did she have to do to earn it?
2. What grievance does Injun Joe have against the doctor?
3. What does Tom tutor Becky in when they meet surreptitiously during lunch?
4. How does Tom get shooed away from Jeff Thatcher's house?
5. Describe Polly's reaction when Tom says he's done with the whitewashing.
6. What do Tom and Becky talk about before their discussion turns to romance?
7. What are the boys' reactions to realizing that the townspeople think they're dead?
8. What mistake does Tom make that gives away to Polly that he played hooky?
9. What does Tom make Becky whisper in his ear?
10. How does Tom find his lost marble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what creates value and desire in the novel.
1) How does Tom manipulate value and desire to get the other boys to whitewash the fence for him? Why does this work? Is it realistic?
2) Why are Tom and Huck willing to put in hard labor to search for imagined treasure? Why does Tom decide he will stay overnight at the Widow Douglas' house instead of waiting for Huck's signal, when the possible treasure is more immediate and real?
3) Why does Tom feel an intense desire to swear, smoke, chew, and do other forbidden acts while he's a member of the temperance group but loses his desire as soon as he leaves the group?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, people show off, or posture. Tom shows off when he wants to get Becky's attention, but showing off is not just for children. The Sunday School teacher shows off for important guests, and the schoolmaster shows off for the parents and town.
1) Why do the characters in the novel show off? What do they hope to gain?
2) What different forms does "showing off" take? Why are these actions supposed to impress others?
3) How aware are the characters of others' "showing off"? How effective is it?
Essay Topic 3
Bravery is an important issue in the novel. For example, when Tom Sawyer bravely takes on Becky's punishment, he wins her love.
1) In what ways is Tom Sawyer brave and in what ways is he not brave? What leads to Tom's brave acts?
2) What other characters exhibit bravery, and what is their motivation?
3) Does bravery have any disadvantages or negative aspects in the novel?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)