|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Huck want to tell what the boys saw?
2. What game does Tom play with Joe Harper?
3. What does Tom do when he sees the new girl?
4. Who do Tom and Huck think Muff Potter, Injun Joe, and Doctor Robinson are when they first approach?
5. What is the object of the game?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the ways Tom and Huck discuss to remove warts.
2. What does Huck caution Tom about when speaking of the dead?
3. Describe what Tom draws on his slate for Becky.
4. What do the villagers want to do to Injun Joe?
5. What do the boys do after witnessing the murder?
6. What has Mary earned in Sunday School, and what did she have to do to earn it?
7. Why does Tom confess that he stopped to talk with Huckleberry Finn on the way to school?
8. When Tom talks and is restless in his sleep, how is his behavior explained?
9. Where do Tom and Huck agree to meet next?
10. How does Tom find his lost marble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
1) In what ways is the structure of the novel episodic? What does the episodic nature of the novel add to its story?
2) What things does the author keep from the reader to build suspense? How does the author use surprise?
3) How does the structure of the novel follow the stages of Tom's development?
Essay Topic 2
Injun Joe is motivated to murder out of revenge. Discuss Injun Joe's desire for revenge.
1) What has happened to Injun Joe that caused him to seek revenge? Why have these events happened to Injun Joe?
2) What characteristics of Injun Joe's personality lead to him seeking revenge? To what extent is Joe's desire for revenge fueled by his personality, and to what extent is it fueled by how others have treated him?
3) Widow Douglas says of Huck that God's hand is seen in every creature he makes. Is this true of Injun Joe as well?
Essay Topic 3
Tom Sawyer is a mischievous trickster. Discuss the role of mischief and trickery in the novel.
1) Aunt Polly scolds and punishes Tom for his mischief, but she forgives him easily, too. When Tom thinks he'll die, he believes he'll go to hell for his misbehavior, but at his funeral, the pastor has nothing but good to say of the boys. How bad or wrong is Tom's mischief?
2) Why does Tom misbehave? What does Tom gain from his antics, and is the gain worth the price?
3) Besides Tom, how do other characters get into mischief? Compare and contrast other characters' mischievous behavior with Tom's.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)