|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the new girl throw to Tom?
2. What do the townspeople use to try to make the boys' bodies come to the surface?
3. What do the three men have with them?
4. What task does Polly give Tom as punishment?
5. Where has Tom's cousin Mary been for the last week?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom trick Aunt Polly so that he can escape?
2. Describe Polly's reaction when Tom says he's done with the whitewashing.
3. What does Tom tutor Becky in when they meet surreptitiously during lunch?
4. Describe the analogy between Peter, the cat, and Tom.
5. What do Tom and Becky talk about before their discussion turns to romance?
6. What is Tom's objection after the initial reaction to the boys' homecoming?
7. Describe Amy Lawrence's reactions during Sunday School.
8. How does Tom get shooed away from Jeff Thatcher's house?
9. Describe Aunt Polly's dilemma in punishing Tom.
10. What are the boys' reactions to realizing that the townspeople think they're dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Culture is the values, beliefs, and attitudes of a society, reflected in what they do and make and how they communicate. Describe the culture of Tom and Huck's town. What do the townspeople value and admire? What are the religious and political beliefs and values of the town? How do they enforce good behavior? What are the beliefs about child-rearing? What other important beliefs or attitudes can you identify?
Essay Topic 2
The force of public opinion affects events in the novel, but public opinion is changeable and fallible. Discuss public opinion in the novel.
1) How does the public's opinion of Muff Potter change over the course of the novel? How does public opinion affect events, Muff's self-image, and Tom and Huck?
2) How does public opinion of Tom change over the course of the novel? What factors effect people's opinions about Tom?
Essay Topic 3
Superstition and myth is an important part of Tom Sawyer's worldview. Discuss superstition and myth in the novel.
1) What superstitions and myths does Tom believe in? Why does Tom believe in these superstitions and myths?
2) What does Tom do when events in reality contradict the myths or superstitions he believes in? Why does he react this way?
3) What are the other characters' opinions and beliefs about myths, superstitions, or the supernatural? How does Tom use Polly's belief in the supernatural to manipulate her?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)