|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the doctor?
2. Why does Becky miss school?
3. What does Huck tell Tom is bound to happen if the doctor is dead?
4. Where does Becky meet Tom at lunchtime?
5. Who do the boys find sleeping in their hideout?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom tutor Becky in when they meet surreptitiously during lunch?
2. Why does Tom confess that he stopped to talk with Huckleberry Finn on the way to school?
3. What do Tom and Huck do with their pact after they sign it?
4. Describe the reaction to the Sunday School visitors.
5. How does Tom find his lost marble?
6. What about Tom's behavior at school strikes Sid as strange?
7. Describe the graveyard.
8. Describe some of the ways Tom and Huck discuss to remove warts.
9. What does Sid do to try to hear what Tom is saying in his sleep?
10. How are Sid and Tom different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, people show off, or posture. Tom shows off when he wants to get Becky's attention, but showing off is not just for children. The Sunday School teacher shows off for important guests, and the schoolmaster shows off for the parents and town.
1) Why do the characters in the novel show off? What do they hope to gain?
2) What different forms does "showing off" take? Why are these actions supposed to impress others?
3) How aware are the characters of others' "showing off"? How effective is it?
Essay Topic 2
Superstition and myth is an important part of Tom Sawyer's worldview. Discuss superstition and myth in the novel.
1) What superstitions and myths does Tom believe in? Why does Tom believe in these superstitions and myths?
2) What does Tom do when events in reality contradict the myths or superstitions he believes in? Why does he react this way?
3) What are the other characters' opinions and beliefs about myths, superstitions, or the supernatural? How does Tom use Polly's belief in the supernatural to manipulate her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss morality and punishment in the novel.
1) Why does Aunt Polly feel morally obligated to punish Tom? Where does the belief that she should punish Tom come from?
2) How do Tom and Huck define morality? Do they think of themselves as moral people? Why or why not?
3) How do Tom and Huck view punishment? What does punishing the boys accomplish?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)