|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Potter say when he's caught?
2. What does Tom try to do during the sermon?
3. What does Tom answer when the judge asks him who the first two apostles were?
4. What does Tom ask Becky?
5. What has Tom been eating that he wasn't supposed to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tom's objection after the initial reaction to the boys' homecoming?
2. Where does Tom think he's found No. 2?
3. Describe Amy Lawrence's reactions during Sunday School.
4. What does the minister say about the boys at the funeral?
5. What happens during Tom's speech on examination day?
6. Describe what happens the first time Becky goes to sleep in the cave.
7. Describe what Tom draws on his slate for Becky.
8. What does Tom make Becky whisper in his ear?
9. How does Tom find his lost marble?
10. What mistake does Tom make that gives away to Polly that he played hooky?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, people show off, or posture. Tom shows off when he wants to get Becky's attention, but showing off is not just for children. The Sunday School teacher shows off for important guests, and the schoolmaster shows off for the parents and town.
1) Why do the characters in the novel show off? What do they hope to gain?
2) What different forms does "showing off" take? Why are these actions supposed to impress others?
3) How aware are the characters of others' "showing off"? How effective is it?
Essay Topic 2
As the author says, the story of Tom Sawyer is the story of a boy, and at the end of the story, he is on his way to manhood. Describe how The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is a coming of age story. What are the qualities of boyhood in Tom during the story? What are the qualities that make a person adult in the story? What steps does Tom take toward adulthood? How much further does Tom have to go toward adulthood at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Injun Joe is motivated to murder out of revenge. Discuss Injun Joe's desire for revenge.
1) What has happened to Injun Joe that caused him to seek revenge? Why have these events happened to Injun Joe?
2) What characteristics of Injun Joe's personality lead to him seeking revenge? To what extent is Joe's desire for revenge fueled by his personality, and to what extent is it fueled by how others have treated him?
3) Widow Douglas says of Huck that God's hand is seen in every creature he makes. Is this true of Injun Joe as well?
This section contains 2,236 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)