|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ben Rogers doing when he comes across Tom?
2. What source of food do the boys find on the island?
3. Who is Amy Lawrence?
4. Why does Becky miss school?
5. What does Aunt Polly do about Tom's loose tooth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tom dissatisfied with by the end of the Sunday service?
2. What is Tom and Joe's plan to run away?
3. Describe the graveyard.
4. What mistake does Tom make that gives away to Polly that he played hooky?
5. What does Tom make Becky whisper in his ear?
6. What has Mary earned in Sunday School, and what did she have to do to earn it?
7. What does Huck caution Tom about when speaking of the dead?
8. How does Tom trick Aunt Polly so that he can escape?
9. What grievance does Injun Joe have against the doctor?
10. What story does Huck Finn recall to cast doubt on the omen the boys see?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss love and jealousy in the novel by examining the relationship between Becky and Tom.
1) Is Tom really in love with Becky? Is his love for Becky different from his "love" for Amy Lawrence, whom he so easily dismisses? How is his love of Becky different from his love for Aunt Polly?
2) Describe Becky's feelings for Tom. What attracts Becky to Tom? How deep are her emotions for him? How does the experience in the caves change their relationship?
3) How do the characters experience and use jealousy in their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what creates value and desire in the novel.
1) How does Tom manipulate value and desire to get the other boys to whitewash the fence for him? Why does this work? Is it realistic?
2) Why are Tom and Huck willing to put in hard labor to search for imagined treasure? Why does Tom decide he will stay overnight at the Widow Douglas' house instead of waiting for Huck's signal, when the possible treasure is more immediate and real?
3) Why does Tom feel an intense desire to swear, smoke, chew, and do other forbidden acts while he's a member of the temperance group but loses his desire as soon as he leaves the group?
Essay Topic 3
Culture is the values, beliefs, and attitudes of a society, reflected in what they do and make and how they communicate. Describe the culture of Tom and Huck's town. What do the townspeople value and admire? What are the religious and political beliefs and values of the town? How do they enforce good behavior? What are the beliefs about child-rearing? What other important beliefs or attitudes can you identify?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)