|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tom's reaction to his bath?
2. What is Aunt Polly's reaction to Tom's professed illness?
3. What does Aunt Polly do to Tom for going out at night?
4. What does Tom ask Becky?
5. What is Tom's recent accomplishment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Tom's behavior at school strikes Sid as strange?
2. What is Tom and Joe's plan to run away?
3. Why does Tom realize that Muff Potter cannot tell the true story?
4. What are the boys' reactions to realizing that the townspeople think they're dead?
5. Describe the reaction to the Sunday School visitors.
6. What story does Huck Finn recall to cast doubt on the omen the boys see?
7. Describe what Tom draws on his slate for Becky.
8. Why does Tom confess that he stopped to talk with Huckleberry Finn on the way to school?
9. What does Sid do to try to hear what Tom is saying in his sleep?
10. When Tom talks and is restless in his sleep, how is his behavior explained?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, people show off, or posture. Tom shows off when he wants to get Becky's attention, but showing off is not just for children. The Sunday School teacher shows off for important guests, and the schoolmaster shows off for the parents and town.
1) Why do the characters in the novel show off? What do they hope to gain?
2) What different forms does "showing off" take? Why are these actions supposed to impress others?
3) How aware are the characters of others' "showing off"? How effective is it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss morality and punishment in the novel.
1) Why does Aunt Polly feel morally obligated to punish Tom? Where does the belief that she should punish Tom come from?
2) How do Tom and Huck define morality? Do they think of themselves as moral people? Why or why not?
3) How do Tom and Huck view punishment? What does punishing the boys accomplish?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss religion in the novel.
1) Is Tom religious? Discuss his reactions to Sunday school, his behavior in church, his beliefs in superstition, and his beliefs about the afterlife.
2) What role does religion play in Tom's family? What purposes does the Sunday-morning family ritual serve?
3) Do the community's religious leaders influence thought in the community? How?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)