|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has earned the most rewards in Tom's Sunday School?
2. What role do Tom and Joe Harper take in the battle?
3. How does Tom wake Sid?
4. Where is the graveyard located?
5. What is the only thing Tom finds wrong with him, when he wakes up Monday morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the villagers want to do to Injun Joe?
2. What do Tom and Becky talk about before their discussion turns to romance?
3. Describe Polly's reaction when Tom says he's done with the whitewashing.
4. What has Mary earned in Sunday School, and what did she have to do to earn it?
5. Describe Tom's high spirits at suppertime.
6. Describe what Tom hears while he waits for Huck.
7. When Tom talks and is restless in his sleep, how is his behavior explained?
8. What do the boys do after witnessing the murder?
9. How does Tom get shooed away from Jeff Thatcher's house?
10. What is Tom dissatisfied with by the end of the Sunday service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the author says, the story of Tom Sawyer is the story of a boy, and at the end of the story, he is on his way to manhood. Describe how The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is a coming of age story. What are the qualities of boyhood in Tom during the story? What are the qualities that make a person adult in the story? What steps does Tom take toward adulthood? How much further does Tom have to go toward adulthood at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Tom Sawyer is a mischievous trickster. Discuss the role of mischief and trickery in the novel.
1) Aunt Polly scolds and punishes Tom for his mischief, but she forgives him easily, too. When Tom thinks he'll die, he believes he'll go to hell for his misbehavior, but at his funeral, the pastor has nothing but good to say of the boys. How bad or wrong is Tom's mischief?
2) Why does Tom misbehave? What does Tom gain from his antics, and is the gain worth the price?
3) Besides Tom, how do other characters get into mischief? Compare and contrast other characters' mischievous behavior with Tom's.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss love and jealousy in the novel by examining the relationship between Becky and Tom.
1) Is Tom really in love with Becky? Is his love for Becky different from his "love" for Amy Lawrence, whom he so easily dismisses? How is his love of Becky different from his love for Aunt Polly?
2) Describe Becky's feelings for Tom. What attracts Becky to Tom? How deep are her emotions for him? How does the experience in the caves change their relationship?
3) How do the characters experience and use jealousy in their relationship?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)