|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the schoolmaster's bald head, when the pranksters cause a cat to snatch his wig away?
2. What dampens Tom's expectations of a night at Widow Douglas'?
(a) He is afraid Injun Joe might find him.
(b) He thinks Becky might disapprove of him.
(c) He thinks Huck might give him the signal that night.
(d) He expects his aunt will find out where he's been.
3. Why does Tom blow out Becky's candle?
(a) to scare Becky with the darkness
(b) to save their candles for the future
(c) to stop Becky from starting a fire
(d) on accident, while he is blowing a bug away
4. Before the trial, does any of the town gossip speculate that Muff Potter is innocent?
(a) Yes, a large number of people are skeptical that Muff is a murderer.
(b) No, everyone in town thinks Muff is a murderer.
(c) Yes, a few people won't believe that Muff is a killer.
(d) No, but many people find it hard to believe Muff is a murderer.
5. What is Muff Potter's reaction when Tom is called as a witness?
6. What does Polly say that Tom should have done?
(a) come to let her know he was alive
(b) stayed away longer
(c) waited until after the funeral to reveal himself
(d) come back home sooner
7. Why does Tom not want to go back through the caves the way he and Becky came?
(a) He's afraid bats will put out their candles.
(b) He thinks he can't fit back through an entryway they came through.
(c) He thinks there are ghosts in one of the cave's rooms.
(d) He wants to stay out longer with Becky.
8. What makes Aunt Polly able to forgive Tom anything?
(a) Joe tells her that Tom was the one that convinced them to come back.
(b) She discovers the note in his jacket, so she knows he wasn't lying.
(c) She remembers how she felt when she thought Tom was dead.
(d) Tom tells her that the only reason he came back was to stop her from grieving.
9. How long does Tom have to stay after school?
(a) one hour
(b) half an hour
(c) forty-five minutes
(d) two hours
10. Who is the first friend who agrees to go hunting for treasure with Tom?
(a) Jeff Thatcher
(b) Joe Harper
(c) Huck Finn
(d) Ben Rogers
11. What prevented Injun Joe from taking off on Friday?
(a) The sheriff still searching for Injun Joe for murder.
(b) Tom and Huck playing in view of the haunted house.
(c) Injun Joe needs extra cash before he can leave.
(d) Injun Joe needs a map of the river before he can leave.
12. How does Becky make Tom jealous?
(a) by sitting and reading with Alfred Temple
(b) by kissing Joe Harper
(c) by sitting next to Ben Rodgers
(d) by talking with Bill Miller
13. What is Judge Thatcher's feeling toward Tom?
14. Why does Tom remember to grab the towel before running?
(a) Sid would snitch on Tom if he came back without the towel.
(b) Huck would kill him for losing the towel.
(c) Injun Joe could track him down with the towel.
(d) His aunt would kill him for losing the towel.
15. What had Joe found in the cave to eat?
(a) soapstone and snakes
(b) mushrooms and snails
(c) beetles and rats
(d) bats and candle wax
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Huck's attitude toward marriage?
2. What does Tom say that robbers bury under a tree with their treasure?
3. What does Huck say he'd do with treasure?
4. What is the cave opening shaped like?
5. Why does Tom join the Cadets of Temperance?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)