|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Becky make Tom jealous?
(a) by sitting next to Ben Rodgers
(b) by kissing Joe Harper
(c) by talking with Bill Miller
(d) by sitting and reading with Alfred Temple
2. How far away from the cave entrance are Becky and Tom when they emerge?
(a) three miles
(b) five miles
(c) ten miles
(d) 50 feet
3. What was the schoolmaster's unfulfilled goal?
(a) to be the mayor
(b) to be an actor
(c) to be a lawyer
(d) to be a doctor
4. Who tells Tom that the Welshman is going to announce Huck's role in saving the Widow Douglas?
(b) Aunt Polly
5. What does Tom see that shows him the way out of the cave?
(a) a bug flying into a crack in the wall
(b) a breeze blowing the candle flame
(c) a speck of daylight
(d) dripping water
6. What color is the schoolmaster's bald head, when the pranksters cause a cat to snatch his wig away?
7. Before the trial, does any of the town gossip speculate that Muff Potter is innocent?
(a) No, but many people find it hard to believe Muff is a murderer.
(b) Yes, a few people won't believe that Muff is a killer.
(c) Yes, a large number of people are skeptical that Muff is a murderer.
(d) No, everyone in town thinks Muff is a murderer.
8. What is Tom's attitude when he first takes the stand?
(b) showing off
9. What does Widow Douglas say she will do for Huck?
(a) buy him a house, new clothes, and furniture
(b) put him in her will
(c) get him a fishing boat and equipment to become a fisherman
(d) take care of him and give him money to start in business
10. How did the boys get to shore from their island?
(a) They made a raft.
(b) They swam against the current.
(c) They paddled using a log.
(d) They stole a skiff.
11. What does Tom say that he dreamed?
(a) the scene he witnessed when he sneaked over to the house
(b) the townspeople on the ferry searching for the boys' bodies
(c) witnessing the doctor's death at the graveyard
(d) the scene of him appearing in the church at his funeral
12. When does Mrs. Thatcher find out that Becky's not where she's supposed to be?
(a) when Becky doesn't come home from the picnic Saturday night
(b) at church Sunday morning
(c) in the town square Sunday morning
(d) when Mrs. Harper visits the Thatcher house
13. How does Polly learn that Tom was lying about his dream?
(a) Huck tells Polly the truth.
(b) Joe tells Polly the truth.
(c) Sid finds out what happened and tells on Tom.
(d) Joe's mother tells Polly the truth.
14. What is Judge Thatcher's feeling toward Tom?
15. What reason does Tom give for not letting Polly know he was alive?
(a) Tom didn't want to betray his fellow pirates, Joe and Huck.
(b) Tom didn't want to spoil the effect of appearing at the funeral.
(c) Tom didn't want Sid and Mary to find out he was alive.
(d) Tom thought Polly would be angry if she knew he'd been to the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Huck say he'd do with treasure?
2. How does Judge Frazer let Tom down?
3. Where had Joe gotten water?
4. What does Becky do that she thinks will get her in trouble?
5. What had Joe found in the cave to eat?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)