|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Judge Frazer let Tom down?
(a) He dies before telling Tom the secret Tom's waiting for.
(b) He leaves the town without giving word.
(c) He gets sick and so will miss Fourth of July.
(d) He dies, just when Tom thought he was getting well.
2. When does Mrs. Thatcher find out that Becky's not where she's supposed to be?
(a) when Mrs. Harper visits the Thatcher house
(b) when Becky doesn't come home from the picnic Saturday night
(c) at church Sunday morning
(d) in the town square Sunday morning
3. What is in the first closet Huck and Tom search in the haunted house?
(a) a cat
(b) a bricked up door
(c) a pile of cobwebs
4. What is Judge Thatcher's feeling toward Tom?
5. What does Tom fear whenever someone gossips to him about the murder?
(a) He fears the doctor's ghost will rise up.
(b) He fears Muff Potter will not be convicted.
(c) He fears the person is hinting Tom knows something.
(d) He fears he will be accused of the murder.
6. How does Tom react to Becky when he goes back to school?
(a) He follows her everywhere.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He shows off for her.
(d) He asks her to forgive him.
7. What does the Welshman find where the two criminals were standing outside Widow Douglas' house?
(a) a heavy club
(b) a gold coin
(c) Injun Joe's eye patch
(d) burglar's tools
8. What does Becky do that she thinks will get her in trouble?
(a) She throws a stone at Tom, and it goes through the schoolroom window.
(b) She breaks the lock on the teacher's desk.
(c) She accidentally tears a page of the teacher's book.
(d) She writes on her desk and then finds that it won't come off.
9. Why does Tom join the Cadets of Temperance?
(a) He wants to impress Becky.
(b) His aunt makes him.
(c) He's decided to turn over a new leaf.
(d) He likes their uniforms.
10. What happens to Injun Joe's accomplice?
(a) He is found stabbed to death in the haunted house.
(b) He is found with his neck broken outside of town.
(c) His body is found in the river, likely drowned.
(d) He is captured but hangs himself in the jail.
11. What does Tom threaten to do if Huck runs away from the Widow Douglas?
(a) put a hex on Huck
(b) tell where Huck's hideout is
(c) not allow Huck to be in his gang
(d) confiscate Huck's half of the treasure
12. What does Tom see that shows him the way out of the cave?
(a) a bug flying into a crack in the wall
(b) a breeze blowing the candle flame
(c) a speck of daylight
(d) dripping water
13. Before the trial, does any of the town gossip speculate that Muff Potter is innocent?
(a) No, but many people find it hard to believe Muff is a murderer.
(b) Yes, a large number of people are skeptical that Muff is a murderer.
(c) Yes, a few people won't believe that Muff is a killer.
(d) No, everyone in town thinks Muff is a murderer.
14. Who takes care of Huck when he's ill?
(a) Huck's father
(b) Aunt Polly
(c) Widow Douglas
(d) the Welshman
15. What prevented Injun Joe's capture at the Widow Douglas' house?
(a) Injun Joe saw the approaching men reflected in the widow's windows.
(b) The Welshman couldn't help sneezing.
(c) One of the boys tripped over a branch.
(d) A bird took flight at the Welshman's approach.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cave opening shaped like?
2. What illness does Tom contract during vacation?
3. What is the title of the first-prize composition?
4. Why does Tom blow out Becky's candle?
5. What color lights are seen in the haunted house, reportedly?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)