|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tom join the Cadets of Temperance?
(a) He's decided to turn over a new leaf.
(b) He likes their uniforms.
(c) His aunt makes him.
(d) He wants to impress Becky.
2. Where does Joe tell his partner he plans on running after the "dangerous" job?
3. What disconcerts Becky when Tom shouts to the other picnickers?
(a) the sound of the echo
(b) the lack of response
(c) the sound of bats flying off
(d) how high Tom's voice is
4. How does Tom react to Becky when he goes back to school?
(a) He shows off for her.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He asks her to forgive him.
(d) He follows her everywhere.
5. What makes Aunt Polly able to forgive Tom anything?
(a) She discovers the note in his jacket, so she knows he wasn't lying.
(b) She remembers how she felt when she thought Tom was dead.
(c) Tom tells her that the only reason he came back was to stop her from grieving.
(d) Joe tells her that Tom was the one that convinced them to come back.
6. How does Judge Frazer let Tom down?
(a) He dies before telling Tom the secret Tom's waiting for.
(b) He leaves the town without giving word.
(c) He dies, just when Tom thought he was getting well.
(d) He gets sick and so will miss Fourth of July.
7. What does Tom threaten to do if Huck runs away from the Widow Douglas?
(a) tell where Huck's hideout is
(b) put a hex on Huck
(c) not allow Huck to be in his gang
(d) confiscate Huck's half of the treasure
8. What reason does Tom give Becky for his shout, when he sees Injun Joe?
(a) He says he shouted for luck.
(b) He says he wanted to hear the echo.
(c) He says he thought he saw a searcher.
(d) He says he was scared by a bat.
9. What color is the schoolmaster's bald head, when the pranksters cause a cat to snatch his wig away?
10. What does Tom say that robbers bury under a tree with their treasure?
(a) a dead man
(b) a box of toadstools
(c) a witch's finger
(d) a cursed cross
11. Before the trial, does any of the town gossip speculate that Muff Potter is innocent?
(a) Yes, a large number of people are skeptical that Muff is a murderer.
(b) No, but many people find it hard to believe Muff is a murderer.
(c) No, everyone in town thinks Muff is a murderer.
(d) Yes, a few people won't believe that Muff is a killer.
12. What was the schoolmaster's unfulfilled goal?
(a) to be a lawyer
(b) to be the mayor
(c) to be a doctor
(d) to be an actor
13. What does Tom dump onto the table?
(a) gold ore
(c) gold coins
(d) packs of money
14. What is Muff Potter's reaction when Tom is called as a witness?
15. What does Tom and Huck's treasure lead local men to do?
(a) dig up every haunt of Injun Joe's
(b) dig up under every local tree
(c) tear up haunted houses
(d) dig out the whole cave
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Tom and Huck think it's useless to break Muff out of prison?
2. What does Becky do that she thinks will get her in trouble?
3. What is Tom's attitude when he first takes the stand?
4. What prevented Injun Joe's capture at the Widow Douglas' house?
5. What reason does Tom give for not letting Polly know he was alive?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)