|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By Monday morning, what do the men searching the cave send word to town for?
(a) candles and food
(b) horses and blankets
(c) shovels and picks
(d) water and rope
2. What day of the week is a bad day to visit a haunted house?
3. Why does Tom not want to go back through the caves the way he and Becky came?
(a) He thinks there are ghosts in one of the cave's rooms.
(b) He wants to stay out longer with Becky.
(c) He's afraid bats will put out their candles.
(d) He thinks he can't fit back through an entryway they came through.
4. What prevented Injun Joe's capture at the Widow Douglas' house?
(a) Injun Joe saw the approaching men reflected in the widow's windows.
(b) The Welshman couldn't help sneezing.
(c) A bird took flight at the Welshman's approach.
(d) One of the boys tripped over a branch.
5. When does Mrs. Thatcher find out that Becky's not where she's supposed to be?
(a) when Becky doesn't come home from the picnic Saturday night
(b) in the town square Sunday morning
(c) when Mrs. Harper visits the Thatcher house
(d) at church Sunday morning
6. What reason does Tom give for not letting Polly know he was alive?
(a) Tom didn't want to betray his fellow pirates, Joe and Huck.
(b) Tom thought Polly would be angry if she knew he'd been to the house.
(c) Tom didn't want Sid and Mary to find out he was alive.
(d) Tom didn't want to spoil the effect of appearing at the funeral.
7. Why does Tom say they need to stop and wait by the water?
(a) He's afraid of getting even more lost.
(b) No one will find them if they keep moving around.
(c) There's only one source of water in the cave.
(d) They've nearly run out of candles.
8. What does Widow Douglas say she will do for Huck?
(a) buy him a house, new clothes, and furniture
(b) put him in her will
(c) take care of him and give him money to start in business
(d) get him a fishing boat and equipment to become a fisherman
9. What is Tom's attitude when he first takes the stand?
(d) showing off
10. What happens to Injun Joe's accomplice?
(a) His body is found in the river, likely drowned.
(b) He is found stabbed to death in the haunted house.
(c) He is captured but hangs himself in the jail.
(d) He is found with his neck broken outside of town.
11. Who takes care of Huck when he's ill?
(a) Widow Douglas
(b) the Welshman
(c) Huck's father
(d) Aunt Polly
12. What does Tom threaten to do if Huck runs away from the Widow Douglas?
(a) confiscate Huck's half of the treasure
(b) put a hex on Huck
(c) tell where Huck's hideout is
(d) not allow Huck to be in his gang
13. What food do Tom and Becky have left from the picnic?
14. What was the schoolmaster's unfulfilled goal?
(a) to be the mayor
(b) to be a lawyer
(c) to be a doctor
(d) to be an actor
15. What is the cave opening shaped like?
(a) the letter A
(b) a big circle
(c) a thin tree branch
(d) a keyhole
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Joe gotten water?
2. What is Judge Thatcher's feeling toward Tom?
3. What does Tom see that shows him the way out of the cave?
4. Why does Tom say robbers fail to come get their treasures?
5. How does Becky make Tom jealous?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)