|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom threaten to do if Huck runs away from the Widow Douglas?
(a) not allow Huck to be in his gang
(b) put a hex on Huck
(c) tell where Huck's hideout is
(d) confiscate Huck's half of the treasure
2. What happens to Injun Joe's accomplice?
(a) He is found with his neck broken outside of town.
(b) He is captured but hangs himself in the jail.
(c) His body is found in the river, likely drowned.
(d) He is found stabbed to death in the haunted house.
3. When Tom awakens the next morning, what does he think of his and Huck's adventure in the haunted house?
(a) He has thought of a scheme to get the treasure.
(b) He's decided to give up on the treasure.
(c) He's thought of a scheme to capture Injun Joe.
(d) He's afraid it's a dream.
4. What is Tom's attitude when he first takes the stand?
(b) showing off
5. Why does Tom blow out Becky's candle?
(a) to save their candles for the future
(b) to scare Becky with the darkness
(c) on accident, while he is blowing a bug away
(d) to stop Becky from starting a fire
6. What does Tom say the Widow Douglas has for children?
(c) ice cream
7. What does Tom find in No. 2?
(a) a stash of mysterious locked boxes
(b) Injun Joe, drunk on the floor
(d) an empty treasure boxes
8. What does Tom fear whenever someone gossips to him about the murder?
(a) He fears Muff Potter will not be convicted.
(b) He fears the person is hinting Tom knows something.
(c) He fears the doctor's ghost will rise up.
(d) He fears he will be accused of the murder.
9. What does Huck decide to do when the men come out of No. 2?
(a) follow them
(b) search No. 2
(c) sound an alarm
(d) go find Tom
10. What is in the first closet Huck and Tom search in the haunted house?
(a) a bricked up door
(c) a cat
(d) a pile of cobwebs
11. What reason does Tom give Becky for his shout, when he sees Injun Joe?
(a) He says he thought he saw a searcher.
(b) He says he shouted for luck.
(c) He says he was scared by a bat.
(d) He says he wanted to hear the echo.
12. What does Becky do that she thinks will get her in trouble?
(a) She throws a stone at Tom, and it goes through the schoolroom window.
(b) She accidentally tears a page of the teacher's book.
(c) She writes on her desk and then finds that it won't come off.
(d) She breaks the lock on the teacher's desk.
13. What reason does Tom give for not letting Polly know he was alive?
(a) Tom didn't want to betray his fellow pirates, Joe and Huck.
(b) Tom didn't want to spoil the effect of appearing at the funeral.
(c) Tom didn't want Sid and Mary to find out he was alive.
(d) Tom thought Polly would be angry if she knew he'd been to the house.
14. How did the boys get to shore from their island?
(a) They made a raft.
(b) They swam against the current.
(c) They paddled using a log.
(d) They stole a skiff.
15. Why do Tom and Huck think it's useless to break Muff out of prison?
(a) They think he'll just be caught again.
(b) They think Injun Joe would kill Muff if he escaped.
(c) They think they'd be caught and tried as accessories.
(d) They think Muff would refuse to leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Polly learn that Tom was lying about his dream?
2. What is found by Injun Joe's body?
3. Where had Joe gotten water?
4. During the trial, what does the defense attorney ask the witness who saw Muff Potter washing at a creek?
5. What does Tom say that he dreamed?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)