|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What speech does Tom make on examination day?
(a) Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death
(b) the Gettysburg Address
(c) the Sermon on the Mount
(d) Washington's Farewell Address
2. What is Tom's attitude when he first takes the stand?
(d) showing off
3. What does Tom fear whenever someone gossips to him about the murder?
(a) He fears Muff Potter will not be convicted.
(b) He fears the doctor's ghost will rise up.
(c) He fears the person is hinting Tom knows something.
(d) He fears he will be accused of the murder.
4. How does Tom react to Becky when he goes back to school?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He asks her to forgive him.
(c) He follows her everywhere.
(d) He shows off for her.
5. What color lights are seen in the haunted house, reportedly?
6. What does Becky do that she thinks will get her in trouble?
(a) She breaks the lock on the teacher's desk.
(b) She writes on her desk and then finds that it won't come off.
(c) She throws a stone at Tom, and it goes through the schoolroom window.
(d) She accidentally tears a page of the teacher's book.
7. What is Judge Thatcher's feeling toward Tom?
8. What does the Welshman find where the two criminals were standing outside Widow Douglas' house?
(a) Injun Joe's eye patch
(b) burglar's tools
(c) a gold coin
(d) a heavy club
9. Where had Joe gotten water?
(a) from a dripping stalactite
(b) from digging into the water table from the river
(c) from a spring in the ground
(d) seeping in from outside the door
10. How far away from the cave entrance are Becky and Tom when they emerge?
(a) three miles
(b) five miles
(c) 50 feet
(d) ten miles
11. Why does Tom remember to grab the towel before running?
(a) Sid would snitch on Tom if he came back without the towel.
(b) His aunt would kill him for losing the towel.
(c) Huck would kill him for losing the towel.
(d) Injun Joe could track him down with the towel.
12. Why do Tom and Huck think it's useless to break Muff out of prison?
(a) They think he'll just be caught again.
(b) They think Muff would refuse to leave.
(c) They think Injun Joe would kill Muff if he escaped.
(d) They think they'd be caught and tried as accessories.
13. Who tells Tom that the Welshman is going to announce Huck's role in saving the Widow Douglas?
(c) Aunt Polly
14. During the trial, what does the defense attorney ask the witness who saw Muff Potter washing at a creek?
(b) whether he wears glasses
(c) how he could recognize Muff from so far away
(d) how he could recognize Muff in the dark
15. Who is the first friend who agrees to go hunting for treasure with Tom?
(a) Huck Finn
(b) Joe Harper
(c) Jeff Thatcher
(d) Ben Rogers
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tom not want to go back through the caves the way he and Becky came?
2. What does the boy Becky spent time with do to Tom when he finds out he's been used?
3. What happens to Injun Joe's accomplice?
4. What does Huck decide to do when the men come out of No. 2?
5. What color is the schoolmaster's bald head, when the pranksters cause a cat to snatch his wig away?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)