|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom fear whenever someone gossips to him about the murder?
(a) He fears Muff Potter will not be convicted.
(b) He fears the person is hinting Tom knows something.
(c) He fears the doctor's ghost will rise up.
(d) He fears he will be accused of the murder.
2. Who tells Tom that the Welshman is going to announce Huck's role in saving the Widow Douglas?
(c) Aunt Polly
3. Why do Tom and Huck think it's useless to break Muff out of prison?
(a) They think they'd be caught and tried as accessories.
(b) They think he'll just be caught again.
(c) They think Muff would refuse to leave.
(d) They think Injun Joe would kill Muff if he escaped.
4. Before the trial, does any of the town gossip speculate that Muff Potter is innocent?
(a) No, but many people find it hard to believe Muff is a murderer.
(b) Yes, a large number of people are skeptical that Muff is a murderer.
(c) No, everyone in town thinks Muff is a murderer.
(d) Yes, a few people won't believe that Muff is a killer.
5. During the trial, what does the defense attorney ask the witness who saw Muff Potter washing at a creek?
(b) whether he wears glasses
(c) how he could recognize Muff in the dark
(d) how he could recognize Muff from so far away
6. Who is the first friend who agrees to go hunting for treasure with Tom?
(a) Ben Rogers
(b) Huck Finn
(c) Jeff Thatcher
(d) Joe Harper
7. What makes Aunt Polly able to forgive Tom anything?
(a) She remembers how she felt when she thought Tom was dead.
(b) Joe tells her that Tom was the one that convinced them to come back.
(c) Tom tells her that the only reason he came back was to stop her from grieving.
(d) She discovers the note in his jacket, so she knows he wasn't lying.
8. What does Huck say he'd do with treasure?
(a) save it to live on
(b) buy pie and soda every day
(c) run away to Europe
(d) give it to his father
9. What prevented Injun Joe's capture at the Widow Douglas' house?
(a) A bird took flight at the Welshman's approach.
(b) The Welshman couldn't help sneezing.
(c) One of the boys tripped over a branch.
(d) Injun Joe saw the approaching men reflected in the widow's windows.
10. Why does Tom blow out Becky's candle?
(a) to stop Becky from starting a fire
(b) to scare Becky with the darkness
(c) to save their candles for the future
(d) on accident, while he is blowing a bug away
11. How does Judge Frazer let Tom down?
(a) He gets sick and so will miss Fourth of July.
(b) He leaves the town without giving word.
(c) He dies before telling Tom the secret Tom's waiting for.
(d) He dies, just when Tom thought he was getting well.
12. What do Tom and Huck do instead of going to the haunted house?
(a) make their own treasure maps
(b) slingshot target practice
(c) play Robin Hood
(d) fish in the river
13. What color lights are seen in the haunted house, reportedly?
14. What does Tom say that robbers bury under a tree with their treasure?
(a) a box of toadstools
(b) a cursed cross
(c) a witch's finger
(d) a dead man
15. What speech does Tom make on examination day?
(a) Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death
(b) the Gettysburg Address
(c) the Sermon on the Mount
(d) Washington's Farewell Address
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the schoolmaster's unfulfilled goal?
2. What is the title of the first-prize composition?
3. What is the cave opening shaped like?
4. What does the boy Becky spent time with do to Tom when he finds out he's been used?
5. Does Huck tell the Welshman the Spaniard's true identity?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)