|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in the first closet Huck and Tom search in the haunted house?
(b) a bricked up door
(c) a cat
(d) a pile of cobwebs
2. How does Polly learn that Tom was lying about his dream?
(a) Sid finds out what happened and tells on Tom.
(b) Joe's mother tells Polly the truth.
(c) Huck tells Polly the truth.
(d) Joe tells Polly the truth.
3. How does Tom react to Becky when he goes back to school?
(a) He follows her everywhere.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He shows off for her.
(d) He asks her to forgive him.
4. What was the schoolmaster's unfulfilled goal?
(a) to be an actor
(b) to be a lawyer
(c) to be the mayor
(d) to be a doctor
5. What is the cave opening shaped like?
(a) a thin tree branch
(b) a big circle
(c) a keyhole
(d) the letter A
6. What does Tom say the Widow Douglas has for children?
(c) ice cream
7. What do Tom and Huck do instead of going to the haunted house?
(a) play Robin Hood
(b) fish in the river
(c) slingshot target practice
(d) make their own treasure maps
8. What happens to Injun Joe's accomplice?
(a) His body is found in the river, likely drowned.
(b) He is found with his neck broken outside of town.
(c) He is captured but hangs himself in the jail.
(d) He is found stabbed to death in the haunted house.
9. Why does Tom say robbers fail to come get their treasures?
(a) They forget the marks that identify the spot or else they die.
(b) Their treasure maps get lost, destroyed, or stolen.
(c) They get caught and sent to prison or flee the country.
(d) They get doublecrossed by their partners and stranded.
10. What does Tom say that he dreamed?
(a) the scene he witnessed when he sneaked over to the house
(b) the scene of him appearing in the church at his funeral
(c) the townspeople on the ferry searching for the boys' bodies
(d) witnessing the doctor's death at the graveyard
11. What does Tom fear whenever someone gossips to him about the murder?
(a) He fears the doctor's ghost will rise up.
(b) He fears Muff Potter will not be convicted.
(c) He fears he will be accused of the murder.
(d) He fears the person is hinting Tom knows something.
12. What is Tom's attitude when he first takes the stand?
(c) showing off
13. By Monday morning, what do the men searching the cave send word to town for?
(a) candles and food
(b) water and rope
(c) shovels and picks
(d) horses and blankets
14. What is found by Injun Joe's body?
(a) a stick warn down and broken
(b) a knife with a broken blade
(c) a gold coin with a word etched into it
(d) a piece of yellow paper with strange markings
15. Where had Joe gotten water?
(a) from a spring in the ground
(b) from a dripping stalactite
(c) seeping in from outside the door
(d) from digging into the water table from the river
Short Answer Questions
1. During the trial, what does the defense attorney ask the witness who saw Muff Potter washing at a creek?
2. What does Huck decide to do when the men come out of No. 2?
3. Who tells Tom that the Welshman is going to announce Huck's role in saving the Widow Douglas?
4. What is Judge Thatcher's feeling toward Tom?
5. What dampens Tom's expectations of a night at Widow Douglas'?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)