|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Judge Frazer let Tom down?
(a) He leaves the town without giving word.
(b) He dies before telling Tom the secret Tom's waiting for.
(c) He dies, just when Tom thought he was getting well.
(d) He gets sick and so will miss Fourth of July.
2. When Tom awakens the next morning, what does he think of his and Huck's adventure in the haunted house?
(a) He's thought of a scheme to capture Injun Joe.
(b) He's decided to give up on the treasure.
(c) He's afraid it's a dream.
(d) He has thought of a scheme to get the treasure.
3. Why does Tom remember to grab the towel before running?
(a) Sid would snitch on Tom if he came back without the towel.
(b) His aunt would kill him for losing the towel.
(c) Injun Joe could track him down with the towel.
(d) Huck would kill him for losing the towel.
4. What prevented Injun Joe's capture at the Widow Douglas' house?
(a) One of the boys tripped over a branch.
(b) The Welshman couldn't help sneezing.
(c) A bird took flight at the Welshman's approach.
(d) Injun Joe saw the approaching men reflected in the widow's windows.
5. What had Joe found in the cave to eat?
(a) beetles and rats
(b) mushrooms and snails
(c) soapstone and snakes
(d) bats and candle wax
6. What is Huck's attitude toward marriage?
(a) He dreams of getting married to the right girl.
(b) He thinks marriage to anyone would be grand.
(c) He thinks marriage is always unhappy and ends in fighting.
(d) He is afraid of marriage because his wife could die.
7. What reason does Tom give Becky for his shout, when he sees Injun Joe?
(a) He says he wanted to hear the echo.
(b) He says he shouted for luck.
(c) He says he thought he saw a searcher.
(d) He says he was scared by a bat.
8. By Monday morning, what do the men searching the cave send word to town for?
(a) horses and blankets
(b) shovels and picks
(c) water and rope
(d) candles and food
9. What does Tom say that he dreamed?
(a) the scene he witnessed when he sneaked over to the house
(b) witnessing the doctor's death at the graveyard
(c) the townspeople on the ferry searching for the boys' bodies
(d) the scene of him appearing in the church at his funeral
10. What does the boy Becky spent time with do to Tom when he finds out he's been used?
(a) He sneaks into Tom's house and breaks dishes.
(b) He pours ink on Tom's spelling book.
(c) He stops Tom on the street and fights him.
(d) He tears up Tom's math book.
11. How far away from the cave entrance are Becky and Tom when they emerge?
(a) ten miles
(b) 50 feet
(c) three miles
(d) five miles
12. When does Mrs. Thatcher find out that Becky's not where she's supposed to be?
(a) when Mrs. Harper visits the Thatcher house
(b) at church Sunday morning
(c) in the town square Sunday morning
(d) when Becky doesn't come home from the picnic Saturday night
13. Who tells Tom that the Welshman is going to announce Huck's role in saving the Widow Douglas?
(d) Aunt Polly
14. What is Tom's attitude when he first takes the stand?
(b) showing off
15. Before the trial, does any of the town gossip speculate that Muff Potter is innocent?
(a) No, everyone in town thinks Muff is a murderer.
(b) Yes, a few people won't believe that Muff is a killer.
(c) Yes, a large number of people are skeptical that Muff is a murderer.
(d) No, but many people find it hard to believe Muff is a murderer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first friend who agrees to go hunting for treasure with Tom?
2. How long does Tom have to stay after school?
3. What color is the schoolmaster's bald head, when the pranksters cause a cat to snatch his wig away?
4. What speech does Tom make on examination day?
5. Why does Tom join the Cadets of Temperance?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)