|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tom not want to go back through the caves the way he and Becky came?
(a) He thinks there are ghosts in one of the cave's rooms.
(b) He thinks he can't fit back through an entryway they came through.
(c) He's afraid bats will put out their candles.
(d) He wants to stay out longer with Becky.
2. Why do Tom and Huck think it's useless to break Muff out of prison?
(a) They think Muff would refuse to leave.
(b) They think Injun Joe would kill Muff if he escaped.
(c) They think they'd be caught and tried as accessories.
(d) They think he'll just be caught again.
3. What does the boy Becky spent time with do to Tom when he finds out he's been used?
(a) He stops Tom on the street and fights him.
(b) He pours ink on Tom's spelling book.
(c) He sneaks into Tom's house and breaks dishes.
(d) He tears up Tom's math book.
4. By Monday morning, what do the men searching the cave send word to town for?
(a) shovels and picks
(b) horses and blankets
(c) water and rope
(d) candles and food
5. Where does Joe tell his partner he plans on running after the "dangerous" job?
6. How does Tom react to Becky when he goes back to school?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He follows her everywhere.
(c) He shows off for her.
(d) He asks her to forgive him.
7. What does Tom find in No. 2?
(b) an empty treasure boxes
(c) Injun Joe, drunk on the floor
(d) a stash of mysterious locked boxes
8. What do Tom and Huck do instead of going to the haunted house?
(a) play Robin Hood
(b) slingshot target practice
(c) make their own treasure maps
(d) fish in the river
9. What prevented Injun Joe's capture at the Widow Douglas' house?
(a) Injun Joe saw the approaching men reflected in the widow's windows.
(b) One of the boys tripped over a branch.
(c) A bird took flight at the Welshman's approach.
(d) The Welshman couldn't help sneezing.
10. What does Tom see that shows him the way out of the cave?
(a) a bug flying into a crack in the wall
(b) dripping water
(c) a speck of daylight
(d) a breeze blowing the candle flame
11. What is Huck's attitude toward marriage?
(a) He is afraid of marriage because his wife could die.
(b) He thinks marriage to anyone would be grand.
(c) He thinks marriage is always unhappy and ends in fighting.
(d) He dreams of getting married to the right girl.
12. What reason does Tom give for not letting Polly know he was alive?
(a) Tom didn't want to betray his fellow pirates, Joe and Huck.
(b) Tom didn't want to spoil the effect of appearing at the funeral.
(c) Tom thought Polly would be angry if she knew he'd been to the house.
(d) Tom didn't want Sid and Mary to find out he was alive.
13. What does Tom dump onto the table?
(a) packs of money
(b) gold coins
(d) gold ore
14. Why does Tom say robbers fail to come get their treasures?
(a) They get doublecrossed by their partners and stranded.
(b) They forget the marks that identify the spot or else they die.
(c) Their treasure maps get lost, destroyed, or stolen.
(d) They get caught and sent to prison or flee the country.
15. Who tells Tom that the Welshman is going to announce Huck's role in saving the Widow Douglas?
(c) Aunt Polly
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the boys get to shore from their island?
2. What does Tom say the Widow Douglas has for children?
3. What color is the schoolmaster's bald head, when the pranksters cause a cat to snatch his wig away?
4. What is in the first closet Huck and Tom search in the haunted house?
5. What does Huck say he'd do with treasure?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)