|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the boys get to shore from their island?
(a) They stole a skiff.
(b) They paddled using a log.
(c) They swam against the current.
(d) They made a raft.
2. What happens to Injun Joe's accomplice?
(a) His body is found in the river, likely drowned.
(b) He is captured but hangs himself in the jail.
(c) He is found stabbed to death in the haunted house.
(d) He is found with his neck broken outside of town.
3. Who is the first friend who agrees to go hunting for treasure with Tom?
(a) Ben Rogers
(b) Joe Harper
(c) Huck Finn
(d) Jeff Thatcher
4. When Tom awakens the next morning, what does he think of his and Huck's adventure in the haunted house?
(a) He's thought of a scheme to capture Injun Joe.
(b) He's decided to give up on the treasure.
(c) He's afraid it's a dream.
(d) He has thought of a scheme to get the treasure.
5. What does Tom say that robbers bury under a tree with their treasure?
(a) a cursed cross
(b) a box of toadstools
(c) a dead man
(d) a witch's finger
6. What does Tom say that he dreamed?
(a) the scene of him appearing in the church at his funeral
(b) witnessing the doctor's death at the graveyard
(c) the scene he witnessed when he sneaked over to the house
(d) the townspeople on the ferry searching for the boys' bodies
7. Why does Tom not want to go back through the caves the way he and Becky came?
(a) He thinks he can't fit back through an entryway they came through.
(b) He's afraid bats will put out their candles.
(c) He wants to stay out longer with Becky.
(d) He thinks there are ghosts in one of the cave's rooms.
8. What does Tom and Huck's treasure lead local men to do?
(a) tear up haunted houses
(b) dig up every haunt of Injun Joe's
(c) dig out the whole cave
(d) dig up under every local tree
9. During the trial, what does the defense attorney ask the witness who saw Muff Potter washing at a creek?
(a) whether he wears glasses
(b) how he could recognize Muff from so far away
(d) how he could recognize Muff in the dark
10. What had Joe found in the cave to eat?
(a) beetles and rats
(b) bats and candle wax
(c) mushrooms and snails
(d) soapstone and snakes
11. Why does Tom say they need to stop and wait by the water?
(a) No one will find them if they keep moving around.
(b) They've nearly run out of candles.
(c) He's afraid of getting even more lost.
(d) There's only one source of water in the cave.
12. When does Mrs. Thatcher find out that Becky's not where she's supposed to be?
(a) at church Sunday morning
(b) when Mrs. Harper visits the Thatcher house
(c) when Becky doesn't come home from the picnic Saturday night
(d) in the town square Sunday morning
13. How long does Tom have to stay after school?
(a) two hours
(b) one hour
(c) half an hour
(d) forty-five minutes
14. What does Tom say the Widow Douglas has for children?
(a) ice cream
15. What does Tom fear whenever someone gossips to him about the murder?
(a) He fears he will be accused of the murder.
(b) He fears the person is hinting Tom knows something.
(c) He fears Muff Potter will not be convicted.
(d) He fears the doctor's ghost will rise up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disconcerts Becky when Tom shouts to the other picnickers?
2. What does Tom see that shows him the way out of the cave?
3. What color lights are seen in the haunted house, reportedly?
4. What does the boy Becky spent time with do to Tom when he finds out he's been used?
5. What is the cave opening shaped like?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)