|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Mrs. Thatcher find out that Becky's not where she's supposed to be?
(a) when Mrs. Harper visits the Thatcher house
(b) in the town square Sunday morning
(c) when Becky doesn't come home from the picnic Saturday night
(d) at church Sunday morning
2. What is Huck's attitude toward marriage?
(a) He thinks marriage is always unhappy and ends in fighting.
(b) He dreams of getting married to the right girl.
(c) He is afraid of marriage because his wife could die.
(d) He thinks marriage to anyone would be grand.
3. Why does Tom say they need to stop and wait by the water?
(a) They've nearly run out of candles.
(b) He's afraid of getting even more lost.
(c) No one will find them if they keep moving around.
(d) There's only one source of water in the cave.
4. What is Judge Thatcher's feeling toward Tom?
5. What prevented Injun Joe's capture at the Widow Douglas' house?
(a) A bird took flight at the Welshman's approach.
(b) The Welshman couldn't help sneezing.
(c) Injun Joe saw the approaching men reflected in the widow's windows.
(d) One of the boys tripped over a branch.
6. How far away from the cave entrance are Becky and Tom when they emerge?
(a) three miles
(b) five miles
(c) ten miles
(d) 50 feet
7. Why does Tom not want to go back through the caves the way he and Becky came?
(a) He thinks there are ghosts in one of the cave's rooms.
(b) He's afraid bats will put out their candles.
(c) He wants to stay out longer with Becky.
(d) He thinks he can't fit back through an entryway they came through.
8. What color is the schoolmaster's bald head, when the pranksters cause a cat to snatch his wig away?
9. How did the boys get to shore from their island?
(a) They stole a skiff.
(b) They paddled using a log.
(c) They swam against the current.
(d) They made a raft.
10. What does the boy Becky spent time with do to Tom when he finds out he's been used?
(a) He sneaks into Tom's house and breaks dishes.
(b) He stops Tom on the street and fights him.
(c) He tears up Tom's math book.
(d) He pours ink on Tom's spelling book.
11. What is in the first closet Huck and Tom search in the haunted house?
(b) a cat
(c) a bricked up door
(d) a pile of cobwebs
12. What does Becky do that she thinks will get her in trouble?
(a) She writes on her desk and then finds that it won't come off.
(b) She accidentally tears a page of the teacher's book.
(c) She breaks the lock on the teacher's desk.
(d) She throws a stone at Tom, and it goes through the schoolroom window.
13. What does Tom fear whenever someone gossips to him about the murder?
(a) He fears the person is hinting Tom knows something.
(b) He fears the doctor's ghost will rise up.
(c) He fears Muff Potter will not be convicted.
(d) He fears he will be accused of the murder.
14. What does Tom say that robbers bury under a tree with their treasure?
(a) a witch's finger
(b) a box of toadstools
(c) a cursed cross
(d) a dead man
15. Does Huck tell the Welshman the Spaniard's true identity?
(a) Yes, but only after much prompting and promising to protect Huck.
(b) No, Huck never thinks about giving away the secret.
(c) Yes, Huck tells him right away.
(d) No, but Huck is sorely tempted to tell the truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. By Monday morning, what do the men searching the cave send word to town for?
2. What food do Tom and Becky have left from the picnic?
3. How does Judge Frazer let Tom down?
4. Where does Joe tell his partner he plans on running after the "dangerous" job?
5. Before the trial, does any of the town gossip speculate that Muff Potter is innocent?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)