|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What wakes Tom?
(a) a cat yowling
(b) a bottle breaking
(c) the clock striking eleven
(d) Sid shaking him
2. What noise does Tom make out the window, before climbing down?
(a) a crow's caw
(b) a coyote's howl
(c) a dog's yowl
(d) a cat's meow
3. What do the townspeople use to try to make the boys' bodies come to the surface?
(a) a cannon
4. Why do the boys realize they're mistaken about the omen?
(a) The animal has a white stripe.
(b) The animal is sitting in a patch of daisies.
(c) The animal's back is to them.
(d) The animal runs off when they approach.
5. What witness comes forward against Muff Potter?
(a) A man who identified Potter as buying the murder weapon.
(b) A man who heard Potter threaten the doctor.
(c) A man who saw Potter meeting secretively with the doctor.
(d) A man who saw Potter washing in a stream in the early hours.
6. Where does Aunt Polly find Tom?
(a) in a closet
(b) behind a tree
(c) in the outhouse
(d) beneath the covers
7. What does Tom offer Becky to console her?
(a) a flower
(b) a silver teacup
(c) a brass knob
(d) a ribbon
8. How does Tom get his tickets?
(a) Tom steals tickets from the other children.
(b) Tom makes his own fake tickets.
(c) Tom does chores to earn tickets.
(d) Tom trades the other children for their tickets.
9. What wakes Tom the next morning?
(a) Aunt Polly yells at Tom to wake him.
(b) Mary shakes Tom awake.
(c) Sid pours water on Tom.
(d) Tom wakes on his own.
10. What does the schoolmaster do after learning of the news?
(a) He holds a school assembly.
(b) He leaves school but makes the teachers continue working.
(c) He gives the classes a ten minute mourning period.
(d) He closes the school for the day.
11. What does Tom try to do during the sermon?
(a) steal a hymnal
(b) catch a fly
(c) sneak off his shoes
(d) pry up a floorboard
12. What does Tom do when he sees the new girl?
(a) Tom shows off by doing tricks on the sidewalk.
(b) Tom pretends to ignore her.
(c) Tom pulls her out of the window and runs down to the river with her.
(d) Tom asks him to play with the boys in the woods.
13. Why does the teacher seat Tom with the girls?
(a) because Tom is late
(b) because the classroom is short of chairs
(c) because Tom is too noisy with the boys
(d) because it's his turn to sit with the girls
14. What does Tom say the sound of the wind in the trees might be?
(a) scavengers coming for the corpses
(b) devils coming to get their own
(c) spirits of the dead
(d) witches' familiars gathering
15. Where has Tom's cousin Mary been for the last week?
(a) at a Bible school
(b) visiting her grandmother
(c) in the country
(d) at an art school
Short Answer Questions
1. At first, what does Potter think gave him away?
2. What does Tom answer when the judge asks him who the first two apostles were?
3. What does Ben trade to Tom?
4. What does the stranger do through the window while Tom stands outside his house?
5. Who is Amy Lawrence?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)