|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Joe and Tom feel guilty about?
(a) keeping secrets from their parents
(b) stealing food from their homes
(c) taking the raft
(d) robbing a boat on the river
2. What does Tom take out of his pocket during church?
(a) a spider
(b) a ladybug
(c) a grasshopper
(d) a beetle
3. What does Tom throw at Sid as he leaves?
(a) an apple core
(b) dirt clods
(c) his paintbrush
(d) a rock
4. Does Tom leave Aunt Polly his note?
(a) No, he changes his mind at the last minute.
(b) Yes, he leaves the note by the bedside, but the wind blows it away.
(c) Yes, he leaves the note on her bed.
(d) No, he never planned to give Polly a note.
5. What does Ben trade to Tom?
(a) a pear
(b) an orange
(c) an apple
(d) a peach
6. Where has Tom heard of the ailment he fakes?
(a) from a friend at school
(b) in a book
(c) from a doctor
(d) from a teacher
7. What do Tom and Joe use to play with the tick?
(a) paper balls
8. How does news of the murder travel through the town?
(a) by the mayor's announcement
(b) by telegraph
(c) by word of mouth
(d) by the newspaper
9. What wakes Tom the next morning?
(a) Tom wakes on his own.
(b) Sid pours water on Tom.
(c) Aunt Polly yells at Tom to wake him.
(d) Mary shakes Tom awake.
10. What do the men fight over?
(b) who is doing the most work
(c) how long their task is taking
(d) if the doctor will turn them in
11. What does Tom do when he plays hooky?
(a) He plays catch.
(b) He goes swimming.
(c) He reads a book.
(d) He plays baseball.
12. What kind of craft do the townspeople take onto the river to look for the boys?
(a) a ferryboat
(b) a sloop
(c) a barge
(d) a rowboat
13. What person does Tom make up to threaten the stranger with?
(a) a powerful father
(b) a friend who is a schoolmaster
(c) a big sister
(d) a big brother
14. What is Tom's recent accomplishment?
(a) learning to write in cursive
(b) learning to whistle
(c) learning to catch tree frogs
(d) learning to throw a spitball
15. Who comes to visit the Sunday School class?
(a) Sherriff Johson
(b) Mayor Ellway
(c) Judge Thatcher
(d) Parson Bridges
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the preacher do at the funeral service?
2. What is Tom's reaction to his bath?
3. How does Tom feel when he gets to school?
4. What does Tom write the pact between the boys on?
5. What does Tom ask Becky?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)