|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom do to try to ease his conscience?
(a) He brings gifts to Muff Potter.
(b) He does all his chores for Aunt Polly.
(c) He studies his Bible verses for Sunday school.
(d) He denies himself the pleasure of playing hooky.
2. What do the boys eat for breakfast after running away?
(a) apples and bread
(b) cheese and stolen eggs
(c) bacon and fish
(d) dry crackers
3. What does Tom do when he plays hooky?
(a) He goes swimming.
(b) He reads a book.
(c) He plays catch.
(d) He plays baseball.
4. Where has Tom heard of the ailment he fakes?
(a) from a teacher
(b) in a book
(c) from a doctor
(d) from a friend at school
5. What is Ben Rogers doing when he comes across Tom?
(a) pretending to be a monkey
(b) imagining he's an airplane
(c) impersonating a steamboat
(d) mimicking a schoolteacher
6. What person does Tom make up to threaten the stranger with?
(a) a powerful father
(b) a big brother
(c) a friend who is a schoolmaster
(d) a big sister
7. What does Polly give Tom as reward for finishing his chore?
(a) an apple
(b) a cookie
(c) an orange
(d) a piece of pie
8. What does Potter say when he's caught?
(a) He confesses to the killing.
(b) He claims that he didn't kill the doctor.
(c) He accuses Injun Joe of committing the murder.
(d) He says that he doesn't remember what happened.
9. What witness comes forward against Muff Potter?
(a) A man who saw Potter washing in a stream in the early hours.
(b) A man who heard Potter threaten the doctor.
(c) A man who identified Potter as buying the murder weapon.
(d) A man who saw Potter meeting secretively with the doctor.
10. What does the preacher do at the funeral service?
(d) gets angry
11. What does Tom imagine after his aunt hits him and does not apologize?
(a) dying without forgiving her
(b) running away to the big city
(c) stealing the quilt she's making
(d) lightning from heaven striking her
12. Why does Becky miss school?
(a) She goes on a trip abroad.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is visiting relatives.
(d) She begins taking lessons at home.
13. What do the boys play after the storm?
14. Why do the boys realize they're mistaken about the omen?
(a) The animal's back is to them.
(b) The animal is sitting in a patch of daisies.
(c) The animal runs off when they approach.
(d) The animal has a white stripe.
15. What is Aunt Polly's reaction to Tom's professed illness?
(a) She spanks him.
(b) She scolds him for lying.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She takes him to the doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Aunt Polly related to Tom?
2. Where does Tom go to be alone?
3. What can the children get with their Sunday School tickets?
4. What game does Tom play with Joe Harper?
5. What does Tom try to do during the sermon?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)