|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the boys realize they're mistaken about the omen?
(a) The animal runs off when they approach.
(b) The animal is sitting in a patch of daisies.
(c) The animal's back is to them.
(d) The animal has a white stripe.
2. What does Tom do to stop himself from talking in his sleep?
(a) He drinks cinnamon and chamomile tea.
(b) He sleeps on his stomach with his head in the pillow.
(c) He stuffs the covers into his mouth.
(d) He ties up his jaw, complaining of toothache.
3. What does Tom decide to run away to become?
(a) an actor
(b) a statesman
(c) a pirate
(d) an acrobat
4. What kind of craft do the townspeople take onto the river to look for the boys?
(a) a ferryboat
(b) a sloop
(c) a rowboat
(d) a barge
5. Does Sid believe Tom is sick?
(a) Yes, he runs to tell Polly that Tom is dying.
(b) No, he thinks Tom is trying to get him in trouble.
(c) Yes, but he thinks Tom is exaggerating.
(d) No, he thinks Tom is faking to get out of school.
6. What wakes Tom the next morning?
(a) Tom wakes on his own.
(b) Sid pours water on Tom.
(c) Mary shakes Tom awake.
(d) Aunt Polly yells at Tom to wake him.
7. What animal gets into a conflict with the bug Tom has brought into church?
(a) a piglet
(b) a canary
(c) a cat
(d) a poodle
8. Does Tom leave Aunt Polly his note?
(a) No, he never planned to give Polly a note.
(b) No, he changes his mind at the last minute.
(c) Yes, he leaves the note by the bedside, but the wind blows it away.
(d) Yes, he leaves the note on her bed.
9. What does the stranger do through the window while Tom stands outside his house?
(a) yells at Tom
(b) clenches his fist
(c) makes faces
(d) throws rocks
10. What does Tom say is wrong with him?
(a) He says he has gout.
(b) He says his toe is mortified.
(c) He says his appendix has burst.
(d) He says he has leprocy.
11. What does Tom do to try to ease his conscience?
(a) He studies his Bible verses for Sunday school.
(b) He brings gifts to Muff Potter.
(c) He denies himself the pleasure of playing hooky.
(d) He does all his chores for Aunt Polly.
12. What does Tom say the sound of the wind in the trees might be?
(a) devils coming to get their own
(b) witches' familiars gathering
(c) spirits of the dead
(d) scavengers coming for the corpses
13. What game does Tom play with Joe Harper?
(a) Robin Hood
(b) Cowboys and Indians
(c) King of the Hill
(d) Civil War
14. Where has Tom's cousin Mary been for the last week?
(a) in the country
(b) at a Bible school
(c) visiting her grandmother
(d) at an art school
15. Where does Aunt Polly find Tom?
(a) in the outhouse
(b) behind a tree
(c) in a closet
(d) beneath the covers
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the schoolmaster do after learning of the news?
2. What is Tom's reaction to his bath?
3. What does Tom imagine after his aunt hits him and does not apologize?
4. What do Tom's classmates do, that constantly remind him of his problems?
5. What do the boys use to prick their fingers?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)