|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does news of the murder travel through the town?
(a) by word of mouth
(b) by the newspaper
(c) by the mayor's announcement
(d) by telegraph
2. Why does Tom decide to run away?
(a) Becky scorns him when she comes back to school.
(b) He is afraid Huck will break their pact.
(c) Tom is failing in school and will be held back.
(d) Aunt Polly won't stop giving him medicines.
3. Where does Tom go to be alone?
(a) a crawlspace under the school
(b) a field out by the fishing pond
(c) an empty cabin in the woods
(d) a log raft in the river
4. How long does it take the boys to get to the cemetery?
(a) a half hour
(b) five minutes
(c) an hour
(d) an hour and a half
5. What does Tom do to try to ease his conscience?
(a) He brings gifts to Muff Potter.
(b) He does all his chores for Aunt Polly.
(c) He studies his Bible verses for Sunday school.
(d) He denies himself the pleasure of playing hooky.
6. What has Tom been eating that he wasn't supposed to eat?
7. Who wins the battle?
(a) Sid's army wins
(b) Ben's army wins
(c) Joe's army wins
(d) Tom's army wins
8. What does the sheriff say about catching Muff Potter?
(a) He is confident about finding Potter within the week.
(b) He thinks they will find Potter dead.
(c) He is sure Potter has escaped.
(d) He is confident about finding Potter before dark.
9. What do the townspeople use to try to make the boys' bodies come to the surface?
(d) a cannon
10. What does the new girl throw to Tom?
(a) a daisy
(b) a carnation
(c) a pansy
(d) a rose
11. How is Aunt Polly related to Tom?
(a) Tom is Polly's sister's son.
(b) Tom is Polly's brother's son.
(c) Tom is Polly's husband's sister's son.
(d) Tom is Polly's husband's brother's son.
12. How does Tom feel when he gets to school?
13. What does Tom throw at Sid as he leaves?
(a) a rock
(b) an apple core
(c) dirt clods
(d) his paintbrush
14. What does Aunt Polly do about Tom's loose tooth?
(a) She pulls it out with string.
(b) She gives him an apple to bite into.
(c) She pulls it out with pliers.
(d) She gives him gum to chew.
15. What do the boys eat for breakfast after running away?
(a) cheese and stolen eggs
(b) bacon and fish
(c) dry crackers
(d) apples and bread
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom "die" of during the game?
2. What does Polly give Tom as reward for finishing his chore?
3. What does Becky wish she had?
4. At first, what does Potter think gave him away?
5. What does Tom do when he sees the new girl?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)