|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom feel when he gets to school?
2. What person does Tom make up to threaten the stranger with?
(a) a friend who is a schoolmaster
(b) a big sister
(c) a big brother
(d) a powerful father
3. What are the men at the graveyard for?
(a) to bury treasure
(b) to rob a grave
(c) to steal a tombstone
(d) to bury a body
4. What does Potter say when he's caught?
(a) He confesses to the killing.
(b) He says that he doesn't remember what happened.
(c) He claims that he didn't kill the doctor.
(d) He accuses Injun Joe of committing the murder.
5. Does Tom leave Aunt Polly his note?
(a) No, he never planned to give Polly a note.
(b) No, he changes his mind at the last minute.
(c) Yes, he leaves the note on her bed.
(d) Yes, he leaves the note by the bedside, but the wind blows it away.
6. What does the new girl throw to Tom?
(a) a rose
(b) a daisy
(c) a pansy
(d) a carnation
7. What task does Polly give Tom as punishment?
(a) carrying water buckets
(b) whitewashing the fence
(c) digging trenches in the garden
(d) mopping the floor
8. What does the preacher do at the funeral service?
(b) gets angry
9. Who does Tom give a dose of tonic to?
(c) Aunt Polly
(d) the cat
10. What does Tom do to try to ease his conscience?
(a) He studies his Bible verses for Sunday school.
(b) He denies himself the pleasure of playing hooky.
(c) He does all his chores for Aunt Polly.
(d) He brings gifts to Muff Potter.
11. What do the three men have with them?
(a) a wheelbarrow, rope, and a shovel
(b) a trunk, a shovel, and a pick
(c) rope, a pulley, and a black bag
(d) a wagon, spades, and a black bag
12. What does the sheriff say about catching Muff Potter?
(a) He is sure Potter has escaped.
(b) He is confident about finding Potter within the week.
(c) He thinks they will find Potter dead.
(d) He is confident about finding Potter before dark.
13. What does Tom say is wrong with him?
(a) He says he has leprocy.
(b) He says he has gout.
(c) He says his toe is mortified.
(d) He says his appendix has burst.
14. What is Aunt Polly's reaction to Tom's professed illness?
(a) She takes him to the doctor.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She spanks him.
(d) She scolds him for lying.
15. What does Muff leave behind?
(a) his jacket
(b) his shoe
(c) a cigarette butt
(d) the murder weapon
Short Answer Questions
1. How does news of the murder travel through the town?
2. What has Tom been eating that he wasn't supposed to eat?
3. What can the children get with their Sunday School tickets?
4. What does Tom offer Becky to console her?
5. What is the potential consequence Tom heard that the illness could have?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)