|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Unbeknownst to Callahan, __________ has been trying to rescue him, but has been facing an uncooperative Coast Guard.
2. What does Callahan realize he might need to do in order to hydrate himself if he can not get fresh water?
3. Callahan decides that mankind is his ____________ and that he wants to live, even though he is in a terrible position.
4. Callahan wonders how close he is to the _____________ as he works to keep the lower tube of the raft inflated.
5. What does Callahan decide to do when anticipates a trial filled landfall in a few hours?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the raft as the winds begin to pick up around the raft as Callahan tries to navigate?
2. What does Callahan finally realize about the way a man's life is measured in terms of its worth to others?
3. What does Callahan do to celebrate the sight of land in the distance?
4. What does Callahan do to protect himself from a harsh landing on the rocky shore?
5. How does Callahan attempt to reinforce his cracked spearhead when he attempts to fish the next day after the incident with the dorado?
6. What does Callahan attempt to do in order to keep himself hydrated as he continues to vomit?
7. What does Callahan decide he wants to eat when he is in the hospital, refusing other types of nourishment?
8. What is the fix that Callahan uses on the lower tube, helping it to hold air better than the upper tube?
9. What is the damage which Callahan notices has occurred on his fishing spear, making it less effective?
10. What is the first sign of land what Callahan sees when he wakes up during the night on April 20th?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The choice to set out on a journey on the high seas by one's self is not a decision to be made lightly.
Part 1: What do you think the reasons were for Callahan's desire to take on this journey?
Part 2: Do you think that this is a nonsense dream or do you think it's admirable? Support your answer.
Part 3: How do you think Callahan made his decision? What might have been his personal considerations?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan thinks of his family often, what they are doing, and how they might be thinking of him.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan continues to think about his family when he is out on the boat?
Part 2: Do you think it's helpful to think about home when you're in a survival situation?
Part 3: How do you think your family might react if you were lost at sea? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Callahan's struggle to survive causes him to react instinctively when things go wrong.
Part 1: Why do you think the brain is able to continue to do things which will support human life?
Part 2: How do you think your body and mind might react if you were suddenly in a survival situation?
Part 3: Why do you think Callahan doesn't always trust in his survival instincts at first?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)