|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Callahan did not know is that the Coast Guard did not list the Napoleon Solo as __________ since another ship was found.
2. What isn't tight enough to keep the boat from losing air after the damage was done by the fish?
3. What is polluting the water which is being captured in the solar still, according to Callahan's observations?
4. When Callahan wakes up on March 19, he is still mourning the loss of the _____________ from the day before.
5. What does Callahan use in order to try to fix the breach in the life raft as caused by the fish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Callahan do when he realizes that he may be about two weeks from land?
2. What is the main problem Callahan's family is having with the Coast Guard in an effort to rescue him from the ocean?
3. What does Callahan not have to worry about at night anymore now that the weather has turned warm?
4. What does Callahan miss most about the early days of his new journey on the seas alone?
5. How does Callahan try to lure other fish to his boat in order to catch more food for his stockpile?
6. What does Callahan do to protect himself from a harsh landing on the rocky shore?
7. What can't Callahan do because of his declining health and hydration, even though he is filled with heartbreak?
8. What is the relationship that Callahan suddenly imagines with the dorado fish as they move past his boat?
9. How had the fishermen come to find Callahan's boat in the water?
10. What does Callahan finally realize about the way a man's life is measured in terms of its worth to others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Callahan immediately wonders what supplies he did not take with him when he has to move onto his life raft.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan didn't have his supplies readily available to him?
Part 2: What else might you have taken for supplies if you were in Callahan's situation?
Part 3: How do you think Callahan did with the supplies that he did take from the boat? Did he do well or not?
Essay Topic 2
Even though he is starving, Callahan points out that he is weary of killing fish to survive.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan states that he is weary of killing fish around him?
Part 2: How do you think you would feel about killing animals if it were the only way you could get food?
Part 3: Do you think that Callahan is simply tired of working so hard to survive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Callahan decides that he needs to push doubt out of his mind if he wants to survive.
Part 1: What are the reasons that Callahan should continue to be hopeful on his journey?
Part 2: What are the reasons Callahan has for feeling despair and doubt?
Part 3: What are the benefits of pushing doubt from your mind during difficult situations?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)