|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What remained inflated with the new sticky gum fix that Callahan comes up with during his ill state?
2. What isn't tight enough to keep the boat from losing air after the damage was done by the fish?
3. Who comes to the island in order to give Callahan a new wardrobe to wear after his journey?
4. Callahan's family has learned of his rescue through a chain of _____________ contacts.
5. Which of the tubes in the life raft begins to deflate as a result of the fish's actions on the side of the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How had the fishermen come to find Callahan's boat in the water?
2. What does Callahan do to celebrate the sight of land in the distance?
3. What does Callahan do to protect himself from a harsh landing on the rocky shore?
4. What does Callahan do when he realizes that he may be about two weeks from land?
5. What was the warning that Callahan's ex-wife had given him, which Callahan now recalls?
6. What happens to the boat as a result of the fish fighting with Callahan during his attempts to catch it?
7. What does Callahan finally realize about the way a man's life is measured in terms of its worth to others?
8. What does Callahan decide he wants to eat when he is in the hospital, refusing other types of nourishment?
9. What happens when the dorado that Callahan tries to catch struggles with him during the process?
10. What can't Callahan do because of his declining health and hydration, even though he is filled with heartbreak?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though he is starving, Callahan points out that he is weary of killing fish to survive.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan states that he is weary of killing fish around him?
Part 2: How do you think you would feel about killing animals if it were the only way you could get food?
Part 3: Do you think that Callahan is simply tired of working so hard to survive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan immediately wonders what supplies he did not take with him when he has to move onto his life raft.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan didn't have his supplies readily available to him?
Part 2: What else might you have taken for supplies if you were in Callahan's situation?
Part 3: How do you think Callahan did with the supplies that he did take from the boat? Did he do well or not?
Essay Topic 3
Callahan decides that he needs to push doubt out of his mind if he wants to survive.
Part 1: What are the reasons that Callahan should continue to be hopeful on his journey?
Part 2: What are the reasons Callahan has for feeling despair and doubt?
Part 3: What are the benefits of pushing doubt from your mind during difficult situations?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)