|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is suddenly mixed in with the water Callahan has been trying to collect in the canopy?
2. What is the name of the man who offers to let Callahan stay in his hotel while he rests and decides what to do next?
3. Callahan decides that mankind is his ____________ and that he wants to live, even though he is in a terrible position.
4. Callahan realizes too that he is beginning to be unable to taste the _________ in the water.
5. Callahan even creates a contraption which might collect drinking water from the ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Callahan not have to worry about at night anymore now that the weather has turned warm?
2. What does Callahan decide he needs to banish from his mind if he is to survive in the boat?
3. Who does Callahan suddenly imagine as his crew when he begins to see that fish is not going to sate him anymore?
4. What is the main problem Callahan's family is having with the Coast Guard in an effort to rescue him from the ocean?
5. What does Callahan have to do before he can fix up the problem with the lower half of the life raft?
6. What can't Callahan do because of his declining health and hydration, even though he is filled with heartbreak?
7. What happens to the boat as a result of the fish fighting with Callahan during his attempts to catch it?
8. What is becoming harder for Callahan to complete after he has fixed the breach in the boat?
9. What does Callahan do to celebrate the sight of land in the distance?
10. What is the new source of food that Callahan finds which he has not seen in a while on his journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many times, fixes which Callahan put into place suddenly do not work in the way that they did at the beginning.
Part 1: Why do you think the fixes aren't able to hold as well as Callahan thought they would?
Part 2: Would you panic if your fixes didn't work the way you expected them to?
Part 3: How do you think you might respond to problems in your boat returning again and again?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan is rescued in the end but it seems that his new loss of complete freedom causes him to be frustrated with the world.
Part 1: What freedoms has Callahan lost as a result of being rescued from the sea?
Part 2: Do you think it's reasonable for Callahan to be upset that he can not do anything he wants to do?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel if you were rescued after so many days at sea?
Essay Topic 3
The storms that batter the seas around Callahan from the beginning do not deter him from his goals.
Part 1: Why do you think that storms were not a concern for Callahan?
Part 2: How do you think you would have handled the presence of storms if you were on the boat?
Part 3: Do you think there is ever a time when the seas are completely calm?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)