|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Callahan decide to use in order to fix up the hole that continues to blow out in his boat?
2. Callahan decides that mankind is his ____________ and that he wants to live, even though he is in a terrible position.
3. What does Callahan drape on the top of his boat in order to help it dry out and to keep the canopy area cool?
4. The fishermen decide to through their hooks into the water and catch most of the ____________ of Callahan.
5. Callahan imagines that someday his ex-wife might dine upon a __________ which fed upon his corpse.
Essay Topic 1
Callahan thinks of his family often, what they are doing, and how they might be thinking of him.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan continues to think about his family when he is out on the boat?
Part 2: Do you think it's helpful to think about home when you're in a survival situation?
Part 3: How do you think your family might react if you were lost at sea? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The storms that batter the seas around Callahan from the beginning do not deter him from his goals.
Part 1: Why do you think that storms were not a concern for Callahan?
Part 2: How do you think you would have handled the presence of storms if you were on the boat?
Part 3: Do you think there is ever a time when the seas are completely calm?
Essay Topic 3
Callahan is rescued in the end but it seems that his new loss of complete freedom causes him to be frustrated with the world.
Part 1: What freedoms has Callahan lost as a result of being rescued from the sea?
Part 2: Do you think it's reasonable for Callahan to be upset that he can not do anything he wants to do?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel if you were rescued after so many days at sea?
This section contains 1,611 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)