|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Callahan improvise with a length of tubing, a part of the blanket, and some twine?
2. From what besides the radar reflector does Callahan take the remnants in order to help make a crude rain collector?
3. How many fish is Callahan able to catch, even though he is exhausted by his efforts, though his catch revives him?
4. What does Callahan use in order to try to fix the breach in the life raft as caused by the fish?
5. What is suddenly mixed in with the water Callahan has been trying to collect in the canopy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the boat as a result of the fish fighting with Callahan during his attempts to catch it?
2. What is the main problem Callahan's family is having with the Coast Guard in an effort to rescue him from the ocean?
3. What happens to the raft as the winds begin to pick up around the raft as Callahan tries to navigate?
4. What is becoming harder for Callahan to complete after he has fixed the breach in the boat?
5. What can't Callahan do because of his declining health and hydration, even though he is filled with heartbreak?
6. How had the fishermen come to find Callahan's boat in the water?
7. What was the warning that Callahan's ex-wife had given him, which Callahan now recalls?
8. What does Callahan do to protect himself from a harsh landing on the rocky shore?
9. What does Callahan finally realize about the way a man's life is measured in terms of its worth to others?
10. What are the three parts in which Callahan decides his mind has been split into as a result of this trip on the sea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times, it seems that Callahan might have been able to be rescued from his boat.
Part 1: Why do you think that Callahan's continued efforts to signal were not seen or heard?
Part 2: Is there anything else that Callahan could have done to be noticed? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Callahan had the right tools in order to be noticed in the Atlantic Ocean?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan describes sailing as a sort of religious calling for him, when he makes one his first entries in his journal.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan decides to document his experiences?
Part 2: Why do you think sailing could be a sort of a religious call for some people?
Part 3: Do you feel you are called to do something specific in your life? What is this calling?
Essay Topic 3
Callahan's struggle to survive causes him to react instinctively when things go wrong.
Part 1: Why do you think the brain is able to continue to do things which will support human life?
Part 2: How do you think your body and mind might react if you were suddenly in a survival situation?
Part 3: Why do you think Callahan doesn't always trust in his survival instincts at first?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)