|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the new color that Callahan can now see when he is looking out onto the horizon?
2. While Callahan was once a fiercely independent man, he now understands man to be a _________ animal.
3. When Callahan looks at his sextant, he decides that he is too far __________ in his journey's plans.
4. The fishermen decide to through their hooks into the water and catch most of the ____________ of Callahan.
5. What does Callahan do with the space blanket? What does he decide to use it for now?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
2. What is becoming harder for Callahan to complete after he has fixed the breach in the boat?
3. How does Callahan try to lure other fish to his boat in order to catch more food for his stockpile?
4. How does Callahan attempt to reinforce his cracked spearhead when he attempts to fish the next day after the incident with the dorado?
5. What does Callahan attempt to do in order to keep himself hydrated as he continues to vomit?
6. What is the fix that Callahan uses on the lower tube, helping it to hold air better than the upper tube?
7. What is the damage which Callahan notices has occurred on his fishing spear, making it less effective?
8. What does Callahan do to protect himself from a harsh landing on the rocky shore?
9. What is the main problem Callahan's family is having with the Coast Guard in an effort to rescue him from the ocean?
10. What does Callahan do to celebrate the sight of land in the distance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The many health problems that plague Callahan during his trip seem unfathomable to those who have not been in this situation.
Part 1: How do you think you might have handled the many health problems and situations that Callahan did?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible to be completely healthy when you're in a survival situation?
Part 3: Do you believe Callahan should have known better about how to take care of his health?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan decides in the beginning that he is better off than most who are in his situation.
Part 1: Do you agree that Callahan seems to be better off than most people in the situation that he's in on the boat?
Part 2: Why do you think that Callahan tells himself that he is better off than others?
Part 3: In what ways is Callahan worse off than others in his situation?
Essay Topic 3
Callahan thinks of his family often, what they are doing, and how they might be thinking of him.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan continues to think about his family when he is out on the boat?
Part 2: Do you think it's helpful to think about home when you're in a survival situation?
Part 3: How do you think your family might react if you were lost at sea? Why?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)