|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Callahan improvise with a length of tubing, a part of the blanket, and some twine?
2. What does Callahan come across as he is sailing around on April 6th on the ocean?
3. What does a fish bite into, causing water to drain back out to sea, according to the observations of Callahan?
4. What color is the light by which Callahan eats when he successfully traps another dorado fish?
5. Why does Callahan turn on his beacon after drinking some of the tainted water? What does he think he hears?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Callahan try to lure other fish to his boat in order to catch more food for his stockpile?
2. What happens when the dorado that Callahan tries to catch struggles with him during the process?
3. How does Callahan attempt to plot his likely course as he begins to recover from his illness?
4. What happens to the boat as a result of the fish fighting with Callahan during his attempts to catch it?
5. What is the new source of food that Callahan finds which he has not seen in a while on his journey?
6. What does Callahan do when he realizes that he may be about two weeks from land?
7. What is able to help Callahan replenish his water supply for a bit while the stills continue to be temperamental?
8. What does Callahan do to protect himself from a harsh landing on the rocky shore?
9. What happens to the raft as the winds begin to pick up around the raft as Callahan tries to navigate?
10. How does Callahan attempt to reinforce his cracked spearhead when he attempts to fish the next day after the incident with the dorado?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Callahan immediately wonders what supplies he did not take with him when he has to move onto his life raft.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan didn't have his supplies readily available to him?
Part 2: What else might you have taken for supplies if you were in Callahan's situation?
Part 3: How do you think Callahan did with the supplies that he did take from the boat? Did he do well or not?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan describes sailing as a sort of religious calling for him, when he makes one his first entries in his journal.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan decides to document his experiences?
Part 2: Why do you think sailing could be a sort of a religious call for some people?
Part 3: Do you feel you are called to do something specific in your life? What is this calling?
Essay Topic 3
Several times, it seems that Callahan might have been able to be rescued from his boat.
Part 1: Why do you think that Callahan's continued efforts to signal were not seen or heard?
Part 2: Is there anything else that Callahan could have done to be noticed? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Callahan had the right tools in order to be noticed in the Atlantic Ocean?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)