|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Callahan actually begins to feel saddened by the loss of another ____________ when he kills and eats the fish.
2. How often does Callahan need to pump air into the the lower tube of the raft since the fix didn't work?
3. Why is it too difficult to fish at this point of the journey, according to Callahan?
4. What has atrophied so severely that Callahan is unable to keep himself upright?
5. Callahan realizes too that he is beginning to be unable to taste the _________ in the water.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Callahan do to protect himself from a harsh landing on the rocky shore?
2. What are the three parts in which Callahan decides his mind has been split into as a result of this trip on the sea?
3. What is the fix that Callahan uses on the lower tube, helping it to hold air better than the upper tube?
4. What happens when the dorado that Callahan tries to catch struggles with him during the process?
5. What is the damage which Callahan notices has occurred on his fishing spear, making it less effective?
6. What does Callahan do when he realizes that he may be about two weeks from land?
7. What is the new source of food that Callahan finds which he has not seen in a while on his journey?
8. What does Callahan not have to worry about at night anymore now that the weather has turned warm?
9. What happens to the boat as a result of the fish fighting with Callahan during his attempts to catch it?
10. What does Callahan do to celebrate the sight of land in the distance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Callahan immediately wonders what supplies he did not take with him when he has to move onto his life raft.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan didn't have his supplies readily available to him?
Part 2: What else might you have taken for supplies if you were in Callahan's situation?
Part 3: How do you think Callahan did with the supplies that he did take from the boat? Did he do well or not?
Essay Topic 2
Several times, it seems that Callahan might have been able to be rescued from his boat.
Part 1: Why do you think that Callahan's continued efforts to signal were not seen or heard?
Part 2: Is there anything else that Callahan could have done to be noticed? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Callahan had the right tools in order to be noticed in the Atlantic Ocean?
Essay Topic 3
Callahan is rescued in the end but it seems that his new loss of complete freedom causes him to be frustrated with the world.
Part 1: What freedoms has Callahan lost as a result of being rescued from the sea?
Part 2: Do you think it's reasonable for Callahan to be upset that he can not do anything he wants to do?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel if you were rescued after so many days at sea?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)