|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Callahan realize he might need to do in order to hydrate himself if he can not get fresh water?
2. Why does Callahan turn on his beacon after drinking some of the tainted water? What does he think he hears?
3. What color is the light by which Callahan eats when he successfully traps another dorado fish?
4. Callahan imagines that someday his ex-wife might dine upon a __________ which fed upon his corpse.
5. Callahan decides that mankind is his ____________ and that he wants to live, even though he is in a terrible position.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Over time, Callahan begins to refer to the fishes around him as his friends and companions on his journey.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan begins to see the fish as his friends?
Part 2: How do you think Callahan rationalizes the killing of the fish in order to provide him food?
Part 3: Do you think all humans instinctively seek out companionship? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The choice to set out on a journey on the high seas by one's self is not a decision to be made lightly.
Part 1: What do you think the reasons were for Callahan's desire to take on this journey?
Part 2: Do you think that this is a nonsense dream or do you think it's admirable? Support your answer.
Part 3: How do you think Callahan made his decision? What might have been his personal considerations?
Essay Topic 3
Callahan is an experienced sailor and so it seems that he is able to know what he needs to do in order to survive.
Part 1: Do you think society as a whole knows what they would need to do in Callahan's situation?
Part 2: Do you think Callahan's experience increased his rate of survival?
Part 3: How do you think a non-experienced sailor might react in this sort of survival situation?
This section contains 1,617 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)