|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to the island in order to give Callahan a new wardrobe to wear after his journey?
2. What was the name of Callahan's ex-wife, who he remembers on what would have been another wedding anniversary?
3. Who corrects the issue with the Napoleon Solo's mistaken label which allows the search to continue?
4. What is the new color that Callahan can now see when he is looking out onto the horizon?
5. Callahan scans the horizon for __________ while being haunted by thoughts of food and drink.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Callahan attempt to do in order to keep himself hydrated as he continues to vomit?
2. What does Callahan do to protect himself from a harsh landing on the rocky shore?
3. What does Callahan finally realize about the way a man's life is measured in terms of its worth to others?
4. What does Callahan do to celebrate the sight of land in the distance?
5. How does Callahan attempt to plot his likely course as he begins to recover from his illness?
6. What is becoming harder for Callahan to complete after he has fixed the breach in the boat?
7. What is the new source of food that Callahan finds which he has not seen in a while on his journey?
8. What happens when the dorado that Callahan tries to catch struggles with him during the process?
9. What is able to help Callahan replenish his water supply for a bit while the stills continue to be temperamental?
10. What happens to the raft as the winds begin to pick up around the raft as Callahan tries to navigate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The storms that batter the seas around Callahan from the beginning do not deter him from his goals.
Part 1: Why do you think that storms were not a concern for Callahan?
Part 2: How do you think you would have handled the presence of storms if you were on the boat?
Part 3: Do you think there is ever a time when the seas are completely calm?
Essay Topic 2
Many times, fixes which Callahan put into place suddenly do not work in the way that they did at the beginning.
Part 1: Why do you think the fixes aren't able to hold as well as Callahan thought they would?
Part 2: Would you panic if your fixes didn't work the way you expected them to?
Part 3: How do you think you might respond to problems in your boat returning again and again?
Essay Topic 3
The Coast Guard doesn't seem all that interested in helping the Callahan find their lost family member.
Part 1: Why do you think the Coast Guard isn't as helpful as they could have been?
Part 2: How do you think the Coast Guard could have helped out more?
Part 3: Do you think the story might have been a little biased in the way it portrayed the Coast Guard? Is this possible?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)