|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Callahan decides it is his __________ which allows him to survive in the boat and in the world.
2. Callahan believes that the water traffic will begin to pick up once he gets on the belt between Brazil and __________.
3. Callahan answers a number of questions of the __________ consul before finally getting some rest in the hospital.
4. What does Callahan catch, despite his weakness from the vomiting after drinking the water?
5. Callahan imagines that someday his ex-wife might dine upon a __________ which fed upon his corpse.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Callahan not have to worry about at night anymore now that the weather has turned warm?
2. What does Callahan do to protect himself from a harsh landing on the rocky shore?
3. What does Callahan attempt to do in order to keep himself hydrated as he continues to vomit?
4. What is the damage which Callahan notices has occurred on his fishing spear, making it less effective?
5. What does Callahan do to celebrate the sight of land in the distance?
6. What is the first sign of land what Callahan sees when he wakes up during the night on April 20th?
7. What does Callahan decide he needs to banish from his mind if he is to survive in the boat?
8. What is the main problem Callahan's family is having with the Coast Guard in an effort to rescue him from the ocean?
9. How does Callahan attempt to plot his likely course as he begins to recover from his illness?
10. What is able to help Callahan replenish his water supply for a bit while the stills continue to be temperamental?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The many health problems that plague Callahan during his trip seem unfathomable to those who have not been in this situation.
Part 1: How do you think you might have handled the many health problems and situations that Callahan did?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible to be completely healthy when you're in a survival situation?
Part 3: Do you believe Callahan should have known better about how to take care of his health?
Essay Topic 2
The Coast Guard doesn't seem all that interested in helping the Callahan find their lost family member.
Part 1: Why do you think the Coast Guard isn't as helpful as they could have been?
Part 2: How do you think the Coast Guard could have helped out more?
Part 3: Do you think the story might have been a little biased in the way it portrayed the Coast Guard? Is this possible?
Essay Topic 3
Many times, fixes which Callahan put into place suddenly do not work in the way that they did at the beginning.
Part 1: Why do you think the fixes aren't able to hold as well as Callahan thought they would?
Part 2: Would you panic if your fixes didn't work the way you expected them to?
Part 3: How do you think you might respond to problems in your boat returning again and again?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)