|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decides to loiter around the boat, causing Callahan to have troubles sleeping one night while he is already thirst and depressed?
2. What does Callahan do with the space blanket? What does he decide to use it for now?
3. Callahan's family has learned of his rescue through a chain of _____________ contacts.
4. How often does Callahan need to pump air into the the lower tube of the raft since the fix didn't work?
5. Callahan actually begins to feel saddened by the loss of another ____________ when he kills and eats the fish.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
2. What is the first sign of land what Callahan sees when he wakes up during the night on April 20th?
3. What happens when the dorado that Callahan tries to catch struggles with him during the process?
4. What does Callahan have to do before he can fix up the problem with the lower half of the life raft?
5. What does Callahan attempt to do in order to keep himself hydrated as he continues to vomit?
6. What was the warning that Callahan's ex-wife had given him, which Callahan now recalls?
7. What is able to help Callahan replenish his water supply for a bit while the stills continue to be temperamental?
8. What does Callahan decide he needs to banish from his mind if he is to survive in the boat?
9. What does Callahan miss most about the early days of his new journey on the seas alone?
10. What is the relationship that Callahan suddenly imagines with the dorado fish as they move past his boat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Callahan describes sailing as a sort of religious calling for him, when he makes one his first entries in his journal.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan decides to document his experiences?
Part 2: Why do you think sailing could be a sort of a religious call for some people?
Part 3: Do you feel you are called to do something specific in your life? What is this calling?
Essay Topic 2
Several times, it seems that Callahan might have been able to be rescued from his boat.
Part 1: Why do you think that Callahan's continued efforts to signal were not seen or heard?
Part 2: Is there anything else that Callahan could have done to be noticed? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Callahan had the right tools in order to be noticed in the Atlantic Ocean?
Essay Topic 3
Callahan is an experienced sailor and so it seems that he is able to know what he needs to do in order to survive.
Part 1: Do you think society as a whole knows what they would need to do in Callahan's situation?
Part 2: Do you think Callahan's experience increased his rate of survival?
Part 3: How do you think a non-experienced sailor might react in this sort of survival situation?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)