|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Unbeknownst to Callahan, __________ has been trying to rescue him, but has been facing an uncooperative Coast Guard.
2. Callahan's need for __________ completely contradicts his need for food, water, and shelter.
3. What still requires constant attention in order to function properly and to help Callahan survive?
4. Few people are hopeful that Callahan is alive back home, causing many to _______________.
5. Callahan even creates a contraption which might collect drinking water from the ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first sign of land what Callahan sees when he wakes up during the night on April 20th?
2. What does Callahan decide he needs to banish from his mind if he is to survive in the boat?
3. What does Callahan do when he realizes that he may be about two weeks from land?
4. What does Callahan have to do before he can fix up the problem with the lower half of the life raft?
5. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
6. What is the fix that Callahan uses on the lower tube, helping it to hold air better than the upper tube?
7. What are the three parts in which Callahan decides his mind has been split into as a result of this trip on the sea?
8. What happens when the dorado that Callahan tries to catch struggles with him during the process?
9. What was the warning that Callahan's ex-wife had given him, which Callahan now recalls?
10. What does Callahan do to protect himself from a harsh landing on the rocky shore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Callahan thinks of his family often, what they are doing, and how they might be thinking of him.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan continues to think about his family when he is out on the boat?
Part 2: Do you think it's helpful to think about home when you're in a survival situation?
Part 3: How do you think your family might react if you were lost at sea? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Several times, it seems that Callahan might have been able to be rescued from his boat.
Part 1: Why do you think that Callahan's continued efforts to signal were not seen or heard?
Part 2: Is there anything else that Callahan could have done to be noticed? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Callahan had the right tools in order to be noticed in the Atlantic Ocean?
Essay Topic 3
The choice to set out on a journey on the high seas by one's self is not a decision to be made lightly.
Part 1: What do you think the reasons were for Callahan's desire to take on this journey?
Part 2: Do you think that this is a nonsense dream or do you think it's admirable? Support your answer.
Part 3: How do you think Callahan made his decision? What might have been his personal considerations?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)