|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Callahan need to pump air into the the lower tube of the raft since the fix didn't work?
2. Callahan decides it is his __________ which allows him to survive in the boat and in the world.
3. What does Callahan lay down in order to protect his raft from further damage as he is fishing for food?
4. Where does Callahan want to go in order to get his mail before he flies back to Maine?
5. Callahan answers a number of questions of the __________ consul before finally getting some rest in the hospital.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the dorado that Callahan tries to catch struggles with him during the process?
2. What does Callahan not have to worry about at night anymore now that the weather has turned warm?
3. What does Callahan do to celebrate the sight of land in the distance?
4. What is the damage which Callahan notices has occurred on his fishing spear, making it less effective?
5. What does Callahan do when he realizes that he may be about two weeks from land?
6. What is the new source of food that Callahan finds which he has not seen in a while on his journey?
7. What is the relationship that Callahan suddenly imagines with the dorado fish as they move past his boat?
8. What is becoming harder for Callahan to complete after he has fixed the breach in the boat?
9. What is the main problem Callahan's family is having with the Coast Guard in an effort to rescue him from the ocean?
10. How does Callahan attempt to plot his likely course as he begins to recover from his illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Callahan's struggle to survive causes him to react instinctively when things go wrong.
Part 1: Why do you think the brain is able to continue to do things which will support human life?
Part 2: How do you think your body and mind might react if you were suddenly in a survival situation?
Part 3: Why do you think Callahan doesn't always trust in his survival instincts at first?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan thinks of his family often, what they are doing, and how they might be thinking of him.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan continues to think about his family when he is out on the boat?
Part 2: Do you think it's helpful to think about home when you're in a survival situation?
Part 3: How do you think your family might react if you were lost at sea? Why?
Essay Topic 3
When Callahan is faced with sickness, this could have resulted in the end of his life without the proper medical equipment.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan is able to overcome his illnesses?
Part 2: Do you think another person might not have been able to overcome this illness that Callahan faces?
Part 3: How do you think Callahan could have avoided illness on the boat?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)