|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the source of the flash that Callahan sees when he wakes up in the middle of the night on April 20th?
2. What is the destination that Callahan aims for since he does not want to end up having to sail for 30 more days?
3. The __________ keeps slumping over, causing Callahan to have to blow it up every ten or fifteen minutes.
4. When Callahan looks at his sextant, he decides that he is too far __________ in his journey's plans.
5. Callahan is overcome with emotion as the reality of his ____________ finally sinks in when he touches land.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship that Callahan suddenly imagines with the dorado fish as they move past his boat?
2. What does Callahan have to do before he can fix up the problem with the lower half of the life raft?
3. What does Callahan decide he wants to eat when he is in the hospital, refusing other types of nourishment?
4. What happens to the raft as the winds begin to pick up around the raft as Callahan tries to navigate?
5. What is the main problem Callahan's family is having with the Coast Guard in an effort to rescue him from the ocean?
6. What does Callahan decide he needs to banish from his mind if he is to survive in the boat?
7. What does Callahan finally realize about the way a man's life is measured in terms of its worth to others?
8. How does Callahan try to lure other fish to his boat in order to catch more food for his stockpile?
9. What can't Callahan do because of his declining health and hydration, even though he is filled with heartbreak?
10. How does Callahan attempt to reinforce his cracked spearhead when he attempts to fish the next day after the incident with the dorado?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though he is starving, Callahan points out that he is weary of killing fish to survive.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan states that he is weary of killing fish around him?
Part 2: How do you think you would feel about killing animals if it were the only way you could get food?
Part 3: Do you think that Callahan is simply tired of working so hard to survive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan decides in the beginning that he is better off than most who are in his situation.
Part 1: Do you agree that Callahan seems to be better off than most people in the situation that he's in on the boat?
Part 2: Why do you think that Callahan tells himself that he is better off than others?
Part 3: In what ways is Callahan worse off than others in his situation?
Essay Topic 3
From the beginning, it seems that Callahan did not anticipate his boat capsizing, as all of his supplies were stored in the lower parts of the boat, out of reach.
Part 1: Do you think that Callahan was well prepared for his trans-Atlantic journey?
Part 2: How else do you think Callahan could have prepared for the journey across the ocean?
Part 3: Do you think it's better to prepare for the worst or assume everything will work out well?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)