|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By April 16th, Callahan is beginning to doubt his __________ as his morale and his outlook begin to spiral downward.
2. What is the destination that Callahan aims for since he does not want to end up having to sail for 30 more days?
3. What does Callahan come across as he is sailing around on April 6th on the ocean?
4. What was the name of Callahan's ex-wife, who he remembers on what would have been another wedding anniversary?
5. What does Callahan catch, despite his weakness from the vomiting after drinking the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the damage which Callahan notices has occurred on his fishing spear, making it less effective?
2. What is becoming harder for Callahan to complete after he has fixed the breach in the boat?
3. What does Callahan attempt to do in order to keep himself hydrated as he continues to vomit?
4. What can't Callahan do because of his declining health and hydration, even though he is filled with heartbreak?
5. What happens when the dorado that Callahan tries to catch struggles with him during the process?
6. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
7. What does Callahan not have to worry about at night anymore now that the weather has turned warm?
8. What does Callahan do to celebrate the sight of land in the distance?
9. What is the first sign of land what Callahan sees when he wakes up during the night on April 20th?
10. What happens to the boat as a result of the fish fighting with Callahan during his attempts to catch it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Over time, Callahan begins to refer to the fishes around him as his friends and companions on his journey.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan begins to see the fish as his friends?
Part 2: How do you think Callahan rationalizes the killing of the fish in order to provide him food?
Part 3: Do you think all humans instinctively seek out companionship? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan describes sailing as a sort of religious calling for him, when he makes one his first entries in his journal.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan decides to document his experiences?
Part 2: Why do you think sailing could be a sort of a religious call for some people?
Part 3: Do you feel you are called to do something specific in your life? What is this calling?
Essay Topic 3
Many times, fixes which Callahan put into place suddenly do not work in the way that they did at the beginning.
Part 1: Why do you think the fixes aren't able to hold as well as Callahan thought they would?
Part 2: Would you panic if your fixes didn't work the way you expected them to?
Part 3: How do you think you might respond to problems in your boat returning again and again?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)