|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who corrects the issue with the Napoleon Solo's mistaken label which allows the search to continue?
2. What does Callahan decide to use in order to fix up the hole that continues to blow out in his boat?
3. Callahan is overcome with emotion as the reality of his ____________ finally sinks in when he touches land.
4. What is Callahan careful not to mistake a static cloud for in the distance as he is sailing out in the sea?
5. What does Callahan catch, despite his weakness from the vomiting after drinking the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. How had the fishermen come to find Callahan's boat in the water?
2. Who does Callahan suddenly imagine as his crew when he begins to see that fish is not going to sate him anymore?
3. What is the new source of food that Callahan finds which he has not seen in a while on his journey?
4. What happens when the dorado that Callahan tries to catch struggles with him during the process?
5. What does Callahan do to celebrate the sight of land in the distance?
6. What does Callahan do when he realizes that he may be about two weeks from land?
7. What is able to help Callahan replenish his water supply for a bit while the stills continue to be temperamental?
8. What is the main problem Callahan's family is having with the Coast Guard in an effort to rescue him from the ocean?
9. What does Callahan decide he wants to eat when he is in the hospital, refusing other types of nourishment?
10. What does Callahan have to do before he can fix up the problem with the lower half of the life raft?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Callahan is faced with sickness, this could have resulted in the end of his life without the proper medical equipment.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan is able to overcome his illnesses?
Part 2: Do you think another person might not have been able to overcome this illness that Callahan faces?
Part 3: How do you think Callahan could have avoided illness on the boat?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan describes sailing as a sort of religious calling for him, when he makes one his first entries in his journal.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan decides to document his experiences?
Part 2: Why do you think sailing could be a sort of a religious call for some people?
Part 3: Do you feel you are called to do something specific in your life? What is this calling?
Essay Topic 3
The many health problems that plague Callahan during his trip seem unfathomable to those who have not been in this situation.
Part 1: How do you think you might have handled the many health problems and situations that Callahan did?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible to be completely healthy when you're in a survival situation?
Part 3: Do you believe Callahan should have known better about how to take care of his health?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)