|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the tubes in the life raft begins to deflate as a result of the fish's actions on the side of the boat?
2. What color is the light by which Callahan eats when he successfully traps another dorado fish?
3. Unbeknownst to Callahan, __________ has been trying to rescue him, but has been facing an uncooperative Coast Guard.
4. The __________ keeps slumping over, causing Callahan to have to blow it up every ten or fifteen minutes.
5. What helps to restore the good spirits and the energy to Callahan after a few days of suffering?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Callahan do when he realizes that he may be about two weeks from land?
2. What is the first sign of land what Callahan sees when he wakes up during the night on April 20th?
3. What is the damage which Callahan notices has occurred on his fishing spear, making it less effective?
4. What does Callahan finally realize about the way a man's life is measured in terms of its worth to others?
5. What happens to the raft as the winds begin to pick up around the raft as Callahan tries to navigate?
6. What is the relationship that Callahan suddenly imagines with the dorado fish as they move past his boat?
7. What does Callahan have to do before he can fix up the problem with the lower half of the life raft?
8. How does Callahan try to lure other fish to his boat in order to catch more food for his stockpile?
9. What does Callahan do to protect himself from a harsh landing on the rocky shore?
10. What does Callahan decide he needs to banish from his mind if he is to survive in the boat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Over time, Callahan begins to refer to the fishes around him as his friends and companions on his journey.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan begins to see the fish as his friends?
Part 2: How do you think Callahan rationalizes the killing of the fish in order to provide him food?
Part 3: Do you think all humans instinctively seek out companionship? Why?
Essay Topic 2
From the beginning, Callahan exercises, reads, and writes in order to pass the time on his boat.
Part 1: Why do you think it's necessary to exercise and to occupy one's mind when alone?
Part 2: How do you think you might have passed the time if you were on the boat alone?
Part 3: What do you think happens to those who are not taking the time to exercise when on a boat by themselves?
Essay Topic 3
When Callahan is faced with sickness, this could have resulted in the end of his life without the proper medical equipment.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan is able to overcome his illnesses?
Part 2: Do you think another person might not have been able to overcome this illness that Callahan faces?
Part 3: How do you think Callahan could have avoided illness on the boat?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)