|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the final solar still finally breaks, Callahan only has _______ and dorado for sustenance as well as his emergency water supply.
2. Callahan tries to force himself to think ___________ in order to come up with a solution for the leak in his boat.
3. Why does Callahan turn on his beacon after drinking some of the tainted water? What does he think he hears?
4. Callahan even creates a contraption which might collect drinking water from the ______________.
5. What is the new color that Callahan can now see when he is looking out onto the horizon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Callahan miss most about the early days of his new journey on the seas alone?
2. How had the fishermen come to find Callahan's boat in the water?
3. What does Callahan decide he wants to eat when he is in the hospital, refusing other types of nourishment?
4. What are the three parts in which Callahan decides his mind has been split into as a result of this trip on the sea?
5. What is the fix that Callahan uses on the lower tube, helping it to hold air better than the upper tube?
6. What happens to the raft as the winds begin to pick up around the raft as Callahan tries to navigate?
7. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
8. How does Callahan attempt to plot his likely course as he begins to recover from his illness?
9. What is the first sign of land what Callahan sees when he wakes up during the night on April 20th?
10. What can't Callahan do because of his declining health and hydration, even though he is filled with heartbreak?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Callahan immediately wonders what supplies he did not take with him when he has to move onto his life raft.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan didn't have his supplies readily available to him?
Part 2: What else might you have taken for supplies if you were in Callahan's situation?
Part 3: How do you think Callahan did with the supplies that he did take from the boat? Did he do well or not?
Essay Topic 2
From the beginning, it seems that Callahan did not anticipate his boat capsizing, as all of his supplies were stored in the lower parts of the boat, out of reach.
Part 1: Do you think that Callahan was well prepared for his trans-Atlantic journey?
Part 2: How else do you think Callahan could have prepared for the journey across the ocean?
Part 3: Do you think it's better to prepare for the worst or assume everything will work out well?
Essay Topic 3
Callahan decides in the beginning that he is better off than most who are in his situation.
Part 1: Do you agree that Callahan seems to be better off than most people in the situation that he's in on the boat?
Part 2: Why do you think that Callahan tells himself that he is better off than others?
Part 3: In what ways is Callahan worse off than others in his situation?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)