|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Callahan decides that the ______________ is the best way for him to catch fish on the boat, despite other method attempts.
2. When Callahan looks at his sextant, he decides that he is too far __________ in his journey's plans.
3. What jumps into Callahan's raft and he tries to use it for bait, though it is unsuccessful?
4. What does Callahan come across as he is sailing around on April 6th on the ocean?
5. How does Callahan continue to work at night, even though the darkness prevents him from seeing what he is doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fix that Callahan uses on the lower tube, helping it to hold air better than the upper tube?
2. What does Callahan do when he realizes that he may be about two weeks from land?
3. What happens to the boat as a result of the fish fighting with Callahan during his attempts to catch it?
4. How does Callahan try to lure other fish to his boat in order to catch more food for his stockpile?
5. What happens to the raft as the winds begin to pick up around the raft as Callahan tries to navigate?
6. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
7. What was the warning that Callahan's ex-wife had given him, which Callahan now recalls?
8. What does Callahan do to celebrate the sight of land in the distance?
9. What is able to help Callahan replenish his water supply for a bit while the stills continue to be temperamental?
10. What does Callahan not have to worry about at night anymore now that the weather has turned warm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Callahan decides that he needs to push doubt out of his mind if he wants to survive.
Part 1: What are the reasons that Callahan should continue to be hopeful on his journey?
Part 2: What are the reasons Callahan has for feeling despair and doubt?
Part 3: What are the benefits of pushing doubt from your mind during difficult situations?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan thinks of his family often, what they are doing, and how they might be thinking of him.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan continues to think about his family when he is out on the boat?
Part 2: Do you think it's helpful to think about home when you're in a survival situation?
Part 3: How do you think your family might react if you were lost at sea? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Over time, Callahan begins to refer to the fishes around him as his friends and companions on his journey.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan begins to see the fish as his friends?
Part 2: How do you think Callahan rationalizes the killing of the fish in order to provide him food?
Part 3: Do you think all humans instinctively seek out companionship? Why?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)