|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once the temperatures have turned warm, Callahan has no more fears of ___________ taking hold at night.
2. Callahan's family has learned of his rescue through a chain of _____________ contacts.
3. What still requires constant attention in order to function properly and to help Callahan survive?
4. At dinner, Callahan eats a large amount of ____________ food, surprising everyone with the appetite he has.
5. Callahan thinks the only hope for him lies in finding the ____________ and getting rescued there.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the beginning, Callahan exercises, reads, and writes in order to pass the time on his boat.
Part 1: Why do you think it's necessary to exercise and to occupy one's mind when alone?
Part 2: How do you think you might have passed the time if you were on the boat alone?
Part 3: What do you think happens to those who are not taking the time to exercise when on a boat by themselves?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan decides that he needs to push doubt out of his mind if he wants to survive.
Part 1: What are the reasons that Callahan should continue to be hopeful on his journey?
Part 2: What are the reasons Callahan has for feeling despair and doubt?
Part 3: What are the benefits of pushing doubt from your mind during difficult situations?
Essay Topic 3
The many health problems that plague Callahan during his trip seem unfathomable to those who have not been in this situation.
Part 1: How do you think you might have handled the many health problems and situations that Callahan did?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible to be completely healthy when you're in a survival situation?
Part 3: Do you believe Callahan should have known better about how to take care of his health?
This section contains 1,596 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)