|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Unbeknownst to Callahan, __________ has been trying to rescue him, but has been facing an uncooperative Coast Guard.
2. What does Callahan decide to do when anticipates a trial filled landfall in a few hours?
3. Callahan answers a number of questions of the __________ consul before finally getting some rest in the hospital.
4. What does Callahan decide to use as a tip for his spear in order to fix the spear he has had for the duration of the trip?
5. How does Callahan continue to work at night, even though the darkness prevents him from seeing what he is doing?
Essay Topic 1
Callahan thinks of his family often, what they are doing, and how they might be thinking of him.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan continues to think about his family when he is out on the boat?
Part 2: Do you think it's helpful to think about home when you're in a survival situation?
Part 3: How do you think your family might react if you were lost at sea? Why?
Essay Topic 2
From the beginning, Callahan exercises, reads, and writes in order to pass the time on his boat.
Part 1: Why do you think it's necessary to exercise and to occupy one's mind when alone?
Part 2: How do you think you might have passed the time if you were on the boat alone?
Part 3: What do you think happens to those who are not taking the time to exercise when on a boat by themselves?
Essay Topic 3
Even though he is starving, Callahan points out that he is weary of killing fish to survive.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan states that he is weary of killing fish around him?
Part 2: How do you think you would feel about killing animals if it were the only way you could get food?
Part 3: Do you think that Callahan is simply tired of working so hard to survive? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,630 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)