|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ___________ proves difficult to clean as well as providing little sustenance in return for the effort.
2. About a week into the storm, Callahan begins to worry about a ____________ tossing his small ship down a liquid avalanche.
3. What does Callahan successfully kill with a lucky shot, though he is not able to bring it on board?
4. How long does it take for the Napoleon Solo to become seaworthy in order to attempt his desired journey?
5. While he is taking a risk by not going out to __________, Callahan decides that taking the shorter route is the best for his chances of winning.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Callahan learn about the Italian vessel he passes during the beginning stages of the race?
2. What happens after Callahan is able to kill a Dorado fish which has been running into his boat?
3. Why doesn't Callahan use his EPIRB more often in order to signal for help?
4. What is the fear that Callahan has when he begins to think he has reached the shipping lanes in the ocean?
5. What happens to the harpoon gun that Callahan has had on the boat with him during his journey?
6. What does Callahan risk when he tries to squeak past the Finisterre during the next stage of the race?
7. What does Callahan begin to document in order to calculate the odds of his own survival?
8. Why does Callahan want to have calmer weather, even though it might mean that he has a longer time until he might reach the shipping lanes?
9. How does Callahan get the supplies he needs as he moves to his new location in the life raft?
10. What happens as a result of Callahan fixing up the holes in his raft as he is sailing along in the water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Callahan is faced with sickness, this could have resulted in the end of his life without the proper medical equipment.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan is able to overcome his illnesses?
Part 2: Do you think another person might not have been able to overcome this illness that Callahan faces?
Part 3: How do you think Callahan could have avoided illness on the boat?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan immediately wonders what supplies he did not take with him when he has to move onto his life raft.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan didn't have his supplies readily available to him?
Part 2: What else might you have taken for supplies if you were in Callahan's situation?
Part 3: How do you think Callahan did with the supplies that he did take from the boat? Did he do well or not?
Essay Topic 3
Callahan is an experienced sailor and so it seems that he is able to know what he needs to do in order to survive.
Part 1: Do you think society as a whole knows what they would need to do in Callahan's situation?
Part 2: Do you think Callahan's experience increased his rate of survival?
Part 3: How do you think a non-experienced sailor might react in this sort of survival situation?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)