|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes damage to the better functioning solar still, further making Callahan upset with his situation?
2. How might Callahan be described as he is alone in the sailboat once more on his journey?
3. In order to handle the fish which continue to batter his ship, Callahan refines his ___________ technique.
4. How high are the waves that Callahan faces when he decides that he wants to squeak past the Finisterre?
5. With the wide range of _____________, only the dawn and the dusk give Callahan any relief during his trip.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the harpoon gun that Callahan has had on the boat with him during his journey?
2. Why does Callahan want to have calmer weather, even though it might mean that he has a longer time until he might reach the shipping lanes?
3. How long does Callahan calculate it will take the boat to reach the shipping lanes of the ocean?
4. Describe the new vessel which Callahan needs to use after his beloved Napoleon Solo sinks.
5. What happened as a result of Callahan's readings of Tinkerbell when he was a child?
6. What does Callahan learn about the Italian vessel he passes during the beginning stages of the race?
7. How does Callahan decide to prove to himself that he can fulfill his dream to cross the ocean during his life time?
8. What is one of the signs that the life raft Callahan is using for survival is not holding air as well as it used to?
9. Why is it important for the harpoon gun to have a strap on it, according to Callahan?
10. What is the fear that Callahan has when he begins to think he has reached the shipping lanes in the ocean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Callahan is an experienced sailor and so it seems that he is able to know what he needs to do in order to survive.
Part 1: Do you think society as a whole knows what they would need to do in Callahan's situation?
Part 2: Do you think Callahan's experience increased his rate of survival?
Part 3: How do you think a non-experienced sailor might react in this sort of survival situation?
Essay Topic 2
The many health problems that plague Callahan during his trip seem unfathomable to those who have not been in this situation.
Part 1: How do you think you might have handled the many health problems and situations that Callahan did?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible to be completely healthy when you're in a survival situation?
Part 3: Do you believe Callahan should have known better about how to take care of his health?
Essay Topic 3
The choice to set out on a journey on the high seas by one's self is not a decision to be made lightly.
Part 1: What do you think the reasons were for Callahan's desire to take on this journey?
Part 2: Do you think that this is a nonsense dream or do you think it's admirable? Support your answer.
Part 3: How do you think Callahan made his decision? What might have been his personal considerations?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)