|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the new crew member Callahan takes on, although this person leaves him a short while later?
2. How high is the water in the boat as it begins to take on water after Callahan wakes up from his deep sleep?
3. What does Callahan eat on his birthday in order to have a small celebration?
4. The ___________ proves difficult to clean as well as providing little sustenance in return for the effort.
5. Why doesn't anyone on the freighter that Callahan spots see that he is signaling them to see him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first sign of land what Callahan sees when he wakes up during the night on April 20th?
2. Describe the new vessel which Callahan needs to use after his beloved Napoleon Solo sinks.
3. Where does the sinking of the Napoleon Solo take place, according to Callahan's calculations?
4. What does Callahan do to protect himself from a harsh landing on the rocky shore?
5. How does Callahan try to lure other fish to his boat in order to catch more food for his stockpile?
6. What is becoming harder for Callahan to complete after he has fixed the breach in the boat?
7. Who does Callahan suddenly imagine as his crew when he begins to see that fish is not going to sate him anymore?
8. What does Mr. Willoughby try to tell Callahan about his dream to sail a boat across the ocean?
9. What was the warning that Callahan's ex-wife had given him, which Callahan now recalls?
10. What has happened to the electrics in the Napoleon Solo, according to the notes of Callahan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many times, fixes which Callahan put into place suddenly do not work in the way that they did at the beginning.
Part 1: Why do you think the fixes aren't able to hold as well as Callahan thought they would?
Part 2: Would you panic if your fixes didn't work the way you expected them to?
Part 3: How do you think you might respond to problems in your boat returning again and again?
Essay Topic 2
Over time, Callahan begins to refer to the fishes around him as his friends and companions on his journey.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan begins to see the fish as his friends?
Part 2: How do you think Callahan rationalizes the killing of the fish in order to provide him food?
Part 3: Do you think all humans instinctively seek out companionship? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The storms that batter the seas around Callahan from the beginning do not deter him from his goals.
Part 1: Why do you think that storms were not a concern for Callahan?
Part 2: How do you think you would have handled the presence of storms if you were on the boat?
Part 3: Do you think there is ever a time when the seas are completely calm?
This section contains 2,011 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)