Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Callahan hope to reach his destination on his journey across the ocean?
2. Callahan feels __________ for killing the fish, even though he needs it for food in order to stay alive.
3. About a week into the storm, Callahan begins to worry about a ____________ tossing his small ship down a liquid avalanche.
4. Callahan begins to dream at night of the ___________ his body lacks as a result of his struggle to survive.
5. In order to handle the fish which continue to batter his ship, Callahan refines his ___________ technique.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fix that Callahan uses on the lower tube, helping it to hold air better than the upper tube?
2. What can't Callahan do because of his declining health and hydration, even though he is filled with heartbreak?
3. What happens to the harpoon gun that Callahan has had on the boat with him during his journey?
4. What is the main problem Callahan's family is having with the Coast Guard in an effort to rescue him from the ocean?
5. What is the damage which Callahan notices has occurred on his fishing spear, making it less effective?
6. What happens to the raft as the winds begin to pick up around the raft as Callahan tries to navigate?
7. What is the problem of the choices which Callahan continues to make as he faces the problems of surviving in the boat?
8. What are the three parts in which Callahan decides his mind has been split into as a result of this trip on the sea?
9. Why does Callahan decide to eat more of the herbivore fish than the Dorado fish?
10. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
Essay Topic 1
The storms that batter the seas around Callahan from the beginning do not deter him from his goals.
Part 1: Why do you think that storms were not a concern for Callahan?
Part 2: How do you think you would have handled the presence of storms if you were on the boat?
Part 3: Do you think there is ever a time when the seas are completely calm?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan decides that he needs to push doubt out of his mind if he wants to survive.
Part 1: What are the reasons that Callahan should continue to be hopeful on his journey?
Part 2: What are the reasons Callahan has for feeling despair and doubt?
Part 3: What are the benefits of pushing doubt from your mind during difficult situations?
Essay Topic 3
The Coast Guard doesn't seem all that interested in helping the Callahan find their lost family member.
Part 1: Why do you think the Coast Guard isn't as helpful as they could have been?
Part 2: How do you think the Coast Guard could have helped out more?
Part 3: Do you think the story might have been a little biased in the way it portrayed the Coast Guard? Is this possible?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)