|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Callahan almost miss while he is distracted by the memories playing out in his mind?
2. Callahan becomes _________ at the sight of his lost boat and his lost dream, it seems.
3. The strobe light atop the ship's ________ continues to blink as Callahan watches the boat move away from him.
4. In order to handle the fish which continue to batter his ship, Callahan refines his ___________ technique.
5. Through the fog and freighter traffic, the Napoleon Solo sails into ____________ to start the race.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Callahan use his EPIRB more often in order to signal for help?
2. Why is it important for the harpoon gun to have a strap on it, according to Callahan?
3. What is the first sign of land what Callahan sees when he wakes up during the night on April 20th?
4. What happens to the boat as a result of the fish fighting with Callahan during his attempts to catch it?
5. How does Callahan attempt to reinforce his cracked spearhead when he attempts to fish the next day after the incident with the dorado?
6. What is the main problem Callahan's family is having with the Coast Guard in an effort to rescue him from the ocean?
7. How long does Callahan calculate it will take the boat to reach the shipping lanes of the ocean?
8. What can't Callahan do because of his declining health and hydration, even though he is filled with heartbreak?
9. What happens as a result of Callahan fixing up the holes in his raft as he is sailing along in the water?
10. What does Callahan not have to worry about at night anymore now that the weather has turned warm?
Essay Topic 1
Callahan's struggle to survive causes him to react instinctively when things go wrong.
Part 1: Why do you think the brain is able to continue to do things which will support human life?
Part 2: How do you think your body and mind might react if you were suddenly in a survival situation?
Part 3: Why do you think Callahan doesn't always trust in his survival instincts at first?
Essay Topic 2
When Callahan is faced with sickness, this could have resulted in the end of his life without the proper medical equipment.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan is able to overcome his illnesses?
Part 2: Do you think another person might not have been able to overcome this illness that Callahan faces?
Part 3: How do you think Callahan could have avoided illness on the boat?
Essay Topic 3
Many times, fixes which Callahan put into place suddenly do not work in the way that they did at the beginning.
Part 1: Why do you think the fixes aren't able to hold as well as Callahan thought they would?
Part 2: Would you panic if your fixes didn't work the way you expected them to?
Part 3: How do you think you might respond to problems in your boat returning again and again?
This section contains 2,002 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)