|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does Callahan begin his adventure to the other side of the ocean on January 29th?
2. Callahan begins to realize that __________ are another reality he is able to perceive when he is on the boat.
3. What continues to cause Callahan's ship to be battered about the ocean, not adding to the comfort of Callahan?
4. With what does Callahan bail out sea water from the boat as he is drifting in the ocean?
5. What does Callahan experience which helps him to endure the hot afternoon weather on his boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Callahan sees a distant ship after his success with the food storage, how does he try to signal the ship?
2. What does Callahan risk when he tries to squeak past the Finisterre during the next stage of the race?
3. What are some of the leisure activities Callahan indulges in when he is on the Napoleon Solo?
4. What is the problem of the choices which Callahan continues to make as he faces the problems of surviving in the boat?
5. Why doesn't Callahan use his EPIRB more often in order to signal for help?
6. What has happened to the electrics in the Napoleon Solo, according to the notes of Callahan?
7. How long does Callahan calculate it will take the boat to reach the shipping lanes of the ocean?
8. How does Callahan begin to store food so that he may not run out of anything during times when he can not fish?
9. How does Callahan get the supplies he needs as he moves to his new location in the life raft?
10. What happens to the harpoon gun that Callahan has had on the boat with him during his journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Over time, Callahan begins to refer to the fishes around him as his friends and companions on his journey.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan begins to see the fish as his friends?
Part 2: How do you think Callahan rationalizes the killing of the fish in order to provide him food?
Part 3: Do you think all humans instinctively seek out companionship? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Even though he is starving, Callahan points out that he is weary of killing fish to survive.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan states that he is weary of killing fish around him?
Part 2: How do you think you would feel about killing animals if it were the only way you could get food?
Part 3: Do you think that Callahan is simply tired of working so hard to survive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Several times, it seems that Callahan might have been able to be rescued from his boat.
Part 1: Why do you think that Callahan's continued efforts to signal were not seen or heard?
Part 2: Is there anything else that Callahan could have done to be noticed? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Callahan had the right tools in order to be noticed in the Atlantic Ocean?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)