|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comes along with the sudden rainfall that Callahan encounters during his journey on the ocean in this section?
2. While he is taking a risk by not going out to __________, Callahan decides that taking the shorter route is the best for his chances of winning.
3. How many pounds of meat are hanging inside the canopy to dry out to be eaten at a later time?
4. What does Callahan wake to find in his boat when he decides to get some sleep during the storm?
5. Through the fog and freighter traffic, the Napoleon Solo sails into ____________ to start the race.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fear that Callahan has when he begins to think he has reached the shipping lanes in the ocean?
2. How does Callahan get the supplies he needs as he moves to his new location in the life raft?
3. Why is it important for the harpoon gun to have a strap on it, according to Callahan?
4. Why does Callahan want to have calmer weather, even though it might mean that he has a longer time until he might reach the shipping lanes?
5. Why was there a possibility the Mini Transat might be delayed before Callahan had a chance to enter into it?
6. What happens after Callahan is able to kill a Dorado fish which has been running into his boat?
7. What kind of dream is Callahan having when he wakes up in the night to crashing waves in the boat?
8. How does Callahan decide to prove to himself that he can fulfill his dream to cross the ocean during his life time?
9. How does Callahan begin to store food so that he may not run out of anything during times when he can not fish?
10. What has happened to the electrics in the Napoleon Solo, according to the notes of Callahan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Callahan decides that he needs to push doubt out of his mind if he wants to survive.
Part 1: What are the reasons that Callahan should continue to be hopeful on his journey?
Part 2: What are the reasons Callahan has for feeling despair and doubt?
Part 3: What are the benefits of pushing doubt from your mind during difficult situations?
Essay Topic 2
From the beginning, it seems that Callahan did not anticipate his boat capsizing, as all of his supplies were stored in the lower parts of the boat, out of reach.
Part 1: Do you think that Callahan was well prepared for his trans-Atlantic journey?
Part 2: How else do you think Callahan could have prepared for the journey across the ocean?
Part 3: Do you think it's better to prepare for the worst or assume everything will work out well?
Essay Topic 3
Callahan is rescued in the end but it seems that his new loss of complete freedom causes him to be frustrated with the world.
Part 1: What freedoms has Callahan lost as a result of being rescued from the sea?
Part 2: Do you think it's reasonable for Callahan to be upset that he can not do anything he wants to do?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel if you were rescued after so many days at sea?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)