|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What revives Callahan during his moment of health crisis when he is cleaning a dorado on the boat?
2. While the new contraption Callahan has made with the gun works, the __________ he catches is almost lost to the water in a struggle.
3. What does Callahan eat on his birthday in order to have a small celebration?
4. What is in the soup of rainwater that gives Callahan something new and different to eat in his diet?
5. Why doesn't anyone on the freighter that Callahan spots see that he is signaling them to see him?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Callahan sees a distant ship after his success with the food storage, how does he try to signal the ship?
2. What are some of the leisure activities Callahan indulges in when he is on the Napoleon Solo?
3. How long does Callahan calculate it will take the boat to reach the shipping lanes of the ocean?
4. How does Callahan decide to ease his digestion as the lack of bowel movements are becoming uncomfortable and upsetting to him?
5. What does Callahan risk when he tries to squeak past the Finisterre during the next stage of the race?
6. How does Callahan decide to prove to himself that he can fulfill his dream to cross the ocean during his life time?
7. Why was there a possibility the Mini Transat might be delayed before Callahan had a chance to enter into it?
8. What does Callahan do when he finally catches a triggerfish to eat when on the boat?
9. What happens to the harpoon gun that Callahan has had on the boat with him during his journey?
10. Why doesn't Callahan use his EPIRB more often in order to signal for help?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Callahan decides in the beginning that he is better off than most who are in his situation.
Part 1: Do you agree that Callahan seems to be better off than most people in the situation that he's in on the boat?
Part 2: Why do you think that Callahan tells himself that he is better off than others?
Part 3: In what ways is Callahan worse off than others in his situation?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan describes sailing as a sort of religious calling for him, when he makes one his first entries in his journal.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan decides to document his experiences?
Part 2: Why do you think sailing could be a sort of a religious call for some people?
Part 3: Do you feel you are called to do something specific in your life? What is this calling?
Essay Topic 3
Even though he is starving, Callahan points out that he is weary of killing fish to survive.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan states that he is weary of killing fish around him?
Part 2: How do you think you would feel about killing animals if it were the only way you could get food?
Part 3: Do you think that Callahan is simply tired of working so hard to survive? Why or why not?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)