|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Callahan hope to reach his destination on his journey across the ocean?
2. Callahan feels __________ for killing the fish, even though he needs it for food in order to stay alive.
3. About a week into the storm, Callahan begins to worry about a ____________ tossing his small ship down a liquid avalanche.
4. Callahan begins to dream at night of the ___________ his body lacks as a result of his struggle to survive.
5. In order to handle the fish which continue to batter his ship, Callahan refines his ___________ technique.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fix that Callahan uses on the lower tube, helping it to hold air better than the upper tube?
2. What can't Callahan do because of his declining health and hydration, even though he is filled with heartbreak?
3. What happens to the harpoon gun that Callahan has had on the boat with him during his journey?
4. What is the main problem Callahan's family is having with the Coast Guard in an effort to rescue him from the ocean?
5. What is the damage which Callahan notices has occurred on his fishing spear, making it less effective?
6. What happens to the raft as the winds begin to pick up around the raft as Callahan tries to navigate?
7. What is the problem of the choices which Callahan continues to make as he faces the problems of surviving in the boat?
8. What are the three parts in which Callahan decides his mind has been split into as a result of this trip on the sea?
9. Why does Callahan decide to eat more of the herbivore fish than the Dorado fish?
10. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
Essay Topic 1
Callahan's struggle to survive causes him to react instinctively when things go wrong.
Part 1: Why do you think the brain is able to continue to do things which will support human life?
Part 2: How do you think your body and mind might react if you were suddenly in a survival situation?
Part 3: Why do you think Callahan doesn't always trust in his survival instincts at first?
Essay Topic 2
When Callahan is faced with sickness, this could have resulted in the end of his life without the proper medical equipment.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan is able to overcome his illnesses?
Part 2: Do you think another person might not have been able to overcome this illness that Callahan faces?
Part 3: How do you think Callahan could have avoided illness on the boat?
Essay Topic 3
Callahan is rescued in the end but it seems that his new loss of complete freedom causes him to be frustrated with the world.
Part 1: What freedoms has Callahan lost as a result of being rescued from the sea?
Part 2: Do you think it's reasonable for Callahan to be upset that he can not do anything he wants to do?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel if you were rescued after so many days at sea?
This section contains 1,988 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)