|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doesn't the Italian vessel respond to when Callahan passes it during the course of the race?
2. What does Callahan almost miss while he is distracted by the memories playing out in his mind?
3. What has come undone, allowing the life raft to part from the main boat after a while?
4. What continues to cause Callahan's ship to be battered about the ocean, not adding to the comfort of Callahan?
5. Callahan comes to realize that his dreams are dependent on his survival in the ___________ world.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was there a possibility the Mini Transat might be delayed before Callahan had a chance to enter into it?
2. What does Callahan do when he finally catches a triggerfish to eat when on the boat?
3. What has happened to the electrics in the Napoleon Solo, according to the notes of Callahan?
4. Describe the new vessel which Callahan needs to use after his beloved Napoleon Solo sinks.
5. What does Callahan learn about the Italian vessel he passes during the beginning stages of the race?
6. What happens to the harpoon gun that Callahan has had on the boat with him during his journey?
7. What happened as a result of Callahan's readings of Tinkerbell when he was a child?
8. How does Callahan get the supplies he needs as he moves to his new location in the life raft?
9. How does Callahan begin to store food so that he may not run out of anything during times when he can not fish?
10. What does Callahan risk when he tries to squeak past the Finisterre during the next stage of the race?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Callahan sleeps on the boat, which makes sense, but to readers who are not familiar with sailing, that might seem strange.
Part 1: Do you think you could sleep while sailing a boat?
Part 2: Why do you think Callahan is able to close his eyes and sleep without any troubles?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel more comfortable sleeping on a boat?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan is rescued in the end but it seems that his new loss of complete freedom causes him to be frustrated with the world.
Part 1: What freedoms has Callahan lost as a result of being rescued from the sea?
Part 2: Do you think it's reasonable for Callahan to be upset that he can not do anything he wants to do?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel if you were rescued after so many days at sea?
Essay Topic 3
Callahan describes sailing as a sort of religious calling for him, when he makes one his first entries in his journal.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan decides to document his experiences?
Part 2: Why do you think sailing could be a sort of a religious call for some people?
Part 3: Do you feel you are called to do something specific in your life? What is this calling?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)