|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pounds of meat are hanging inside the canopy to dry out to be eaten at a later time?
2. What does Callahan struggle to release as soon as he finds himself in water waist deep?
3. What does Callahan use in the hope that he might be found and rescued by its beacon?
4. Callahan considers ___________ but decides instead to get started on his journey across the water.
5. What does Callahan wake to find in his boat when he decides to get some sleep during the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Callahan decide to grab supplies as his ship is going down, aside to aid him in survival?
2. What is the fear that Callahan has when he begins to think he has reached the shipping lanes in the ocean?
3. While Callahan hopes to reach his destination by February 25, what happens which seems to reduce the chances of this happening?
4. Where does the sinking of the Napoleon Solo take place, according to Callahan's calculations?
5. What does Callahan begin to document in order to calculate the odds of his own survival?
6. What has happened to the electrics in the Napoleon Solo, according to the notes of Callahan?
7. When Callahan sees a distant ship after his success with the food storage, how does he try to signal the ship?
8. Describe the new vessel which Callahan needs to use after his beloved Napoleon Solo sinks.
9. Why doesn't Callahan use his EPIRB more often in order to signal for help?
10. Why does Callahan want to have calmer weather, even though it might mean that he has a longer time until he might reach the shipping lanes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Callahan is faced with sickness, this could have resulted in the end of his life without the proper medical equipment.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan is able to overcome his illnesses?
Part 2: Do you think another person might not have been able to overcome this illness that Callahan faces?
Part 3: How do you think Callahan could have avoided illness on the boat?
Essay Topic 2
Many times, fixes which Callahan put into place suddenly do not work in the way that they did at the beginning.
Part 1: Why do you think the fixes aren't able to hold as well as Callahan thought they would?
Part 2: Would you panic if your fixes didn't work the way you expected them to?
Part 3: How do you think you might respond to problems in your boat returning again and again?
Essay Topic 3
Callahan immediately wonders what supplies he did not take with him when he has to move onto his life raft.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan didn't have his supplies readily available to him?
Part 2: What else might you have taken for supplies if you were in Callahan's situation?
Part 3: How do you think Callahan did with the supplies that he did take from the boat? Did he do well or not?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)