|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How high is the water in the boat as it begins to take on water after Callahan wakes up from his deep sleep?
2. Callahan comes to realize that his dreams are dependent on his survival in the ___________ world.
3. Callahan hopes to be rescued within ________ days at sea, although he knows of stories of sailors who were at sea for many months.
4. What does Callahan rip off of the boat before he finally leaves it for the last time?
5. How much faster can the raft go when Callahan takes the action he does as described in #52?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the leisure activities Callahan indulges in when he is on the Napoleon Solo?
2. When Callahan sees a distant ship after his success with the food storage, how does he try to signal the ship?
3. What happens after Callahan is able to kill a Dorado fish which has been running into his boat?
4. What is the problem of the choices which Callahan continues to make as he faces the problems of surviving in the boat?
5. What does Callahan risk when he tries to squeak past the Finisterre during the next stage of the race?
6. Why is it important for the harpoon gun to have a strap on it, according to Callahan?
7. What happens to the harpoon gun that Callahan has had on the boat with him during his journey?
8. Why was there a possibility the Mini Transat might be delayed before Callahan had a chance to enter into it?
9. What is one of the signs that the life raft Callahan is using for survival is not holding air as well as it used to?
10. What does Callahan learn about the Italian vessel he passes during the beginning stages of the race?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Callahan sleeps on the boat, which makes sense, but to readers who are not familiar with sailing, that might seem strange.
Part 1: Do you think you could sleep while sailing a boat?
Part 2: Why do you think Callahan is able to close his eyes and sleep without any troubles?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel more comfortable sleeping on a boat?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan is rescued in the end but it seems that his new loss of complete freedom causes him to be frustrated with the world.
Part 1: What freedoms has Callahan lost as a result of being rescued from the sea?
Part 2: Do you think it's reasonable for Callahan to be upset that he can not do anything he wants to do?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel if you were rescued after so many days at sea?
Essay Topic 3
Callahan decides that he needs to push doubt out of his mind if he wants to survive.
Part 1: What are the reasons that Callahan should continue to be hopeful on his journey?
Part 2: What are the reasons Callahan has for feeling despair and doubt?
Part 3: What are the benefits of pushing doubt from your mind during difficult situations?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)