|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The power strap of Callahan's _____________ gun has fallen loose and now sinks below the waves.
2. About a week into the storm, Callahan begins to worry about a ____________ tossing his small ship down a liquid avalanche.
3. Callahan hopes to be rescued within ________ days at sea, although he knows of stories of sailors who were at sea for many months.
4. What happens to the bottom of the older solar still, even with the many efforts of Callahan to fix it?
5. Remembering a conversation with his _________ helps Callahan to maintain a more stoic demeanor on his boat.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Willoughby try to tell Callahan about his dream to sail a boat across the ocean?
2. When Callahan sees a distant ship after his success with the food storage, how does he try to signal the ship?
3. How does Callahan decide to ease his digestion as the lack of bowel movements are becoming uncomfortable and upsetting to him?
4. Why doesn't Callahan use his EPIRB more often in order to signal for help?
5. What does Callahan begin to document in order to calculate the odds of his own survival?
6. What does Callahan risk when he tries to squeak past the Finisterre during the next stage of the race?
7. What does Callahan do when he finally catches a triggerfish to eat when on the boat?
8. What is the fear that Callahan has when he begins to think he has reached the shipping lanes in the ocean?
9. Why was there a possibility the Mini Transat might be delayed before Callahan had a chance to enter into it?
10. What happens as a result of Callahan fixing up the holes in his raft as he is sailing along in the water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Coast Guard doesn't seem all that interested in helping the Callahan find their lost family member.
Part 1: Why do you think the Coast Guard isn't as helpful as they could have been?
Part 2: How do you think the Coast Guard could have helped out more?
Part 3: Do you think the story might have been a little biased in the way it portrayed the Coast Guard? Is this possible?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan decides in the beginning that he is better off than most who are in his situation.
Part 1: Do you agree that Callahan seems to be better off than most people in the situation that he's in on the boat?
Part 2: Why do you think that Callahan tells himself that he is better off than others?
Part 3: In what ways is Callahan worse off than others in his situation?
Essay Topic 3
Callahan decides that he needs to push doubt out of his mind if he wants to survive.
Part 1: What are the reasons that Callahan should continue to be hopeful on his journey?
Part 2: What are the reasons Callahan has for feeling despair and doubt?
Part 3: What are the benefits of pushing doubt from your mind during difficult situations?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)