|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through the fog and freighter traffic, the Napoleon Solo sails into ____________ to start the race.
2. What has caused all of the sores and boils on Callahan's body as he has been sitting in his life raft?
3. What does Callahan experience which helps him to endure the hot afternoon weather on his boat?
4. What almost overcomes Callahan as he is out on the boat cleaning up a fish so as to not waste any of the parts?
5. What kind of storms are raging in the Atlantic before the start of the trans-Atlantic race?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the harpoon gun that Callahan has had on the boat with him during his journey?
2. What are some of the leisure activities Callahan indulges in when he is on the Napoleon Solo?
3. What does Callahan learn about the Italian vessel he passes during the beginning stages of the race?
4. How does Callahan decide to prove to himself that he can fulfill his dream to cross the ocean during his life time?
5. What is the problem of the choices which Callahan continues to make as he faces the problems of surviving in the boat?
6. What happens as a result of Callahan fixing up the holes in his raft as he is sailing along in the water?
7. What happened as a result of Callahan's readings of Tinkerbell when he was a child?
8. What kind of dream is Callahan having when he wakes up in the night to crashing waves in the boat?
9. What does Callahan begin to document in order to calculate the odds of his own survival?
10. Describe the new vessel which Callahan needs to use after his beloved Napoleon Solo sinks.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Callahan immediately wonders what supplies he did not take with him when he has to move onto his life raft.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan didn't have his supplies readily available to him?
Part 2: What else might you have taken for supplies if you were in Callahan's situation?
Part 3: How do you think Callahan did with the supplies that he did take from the boat? Did he do well or not?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan sleeps on the boat, which makes sense, but to readers who are not familiar with sailing, that might seem strange.
Part 1: Do you think you could sleep while sailing a boat?
Part 2: Why do you think Callahan is able to close his eyes and sleep without any troubles?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel more comfortable sleeping on a boat?
Essay Topic 3
The choice to set out on a journey on the high seas by one's self is not a decision to be made lightly.
Part 1: What do you think the reasons were for Callahan's desire to take on this journey?
Part 2: Do you think that this is a nonsense dream or do you think it's admirable? Support your answer.
Part 3: How do you think Callahan made his decision? What might have been his personal considerations?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)