Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Callahan hope to reach his destination on his journey across the ocean?
2. Callahan feels __________ for killing the fish, even though he needs it for food in order to stay alive.
3. About a week into the storm, Callahan begins to worry about a ____________ tossing his small ship down a liquid avalanche.
4. Callahan begins to dream at night of the ___________ his body lacks as a result of his struggle to survive.
5. In order to handle the fish which continue to batter his ship, Callahan refines his ___________ technique.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fix that Callahan uses on the lower tube, helping it to hold air better than the upper tube?
2. What can't Callahan do because of his declining health and hydration, even though he is filled with heartbreak?
3. What happens to the harpoon gun that Callahan has had on the boat with him during his journey?
4. What is the main problem Callahan's family is having with the Coast Guard in an effort to rescue him from the ocean?
5. What is the damage which Callahan notices has occurred on his fishing spear, making it less effective?
6. What happens to the raft as the winds begin to pick up around the raft as Callahan tries to navigate?
7. What is the problem of the choices which Callahan continues to make as he faces the problems of surviving in the boat?
8. What are the three parts in which Callahan decides his mind has been split into as a result of this trip on the sea?
9. Why does Callahan decide to eat more of the herbivore fish than the Dorado fish?
10. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
The many health problems that plague Callahan during his trip seem unfathomable to those who have not been in this situation.
Part 1: How do you think you might have handled the many health problems and situations that Callahan did?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible to be completely healthy when you're in a survival situation?
Part 3: Do you believe Callahan should have known better about how to take care of his health?
From the beginning, Callahan exercises, reads, and writes in order to pass the time on his boat.
Part 1: Why do you think it's necessary to exercise and to occupy one's mind when alone?
Part 2: How do you think you might have passed the time if you were on the boat alone?
Part 3: What do you think happens to those who are not taking the time to exercise when on a boat by themselves?
Several times, it seems that Callahan might have been able to be rescued from his boat.
Part 1: Why do you think that Callahan's continued efforts to signal were not seen or heard?
Part 2: Is there anything else that Callahan could have done to be noticed? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Callahan had the right tools in order to be noticed in the Atlantic Ocean?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)