|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Callahan considers ___________ but decides instead to get started on his journey across the water.
2. How long is the race that Callahan wants to enter in order to find out whether he is fit for a trans-Atlantic trip?
3. In the dead of the night, Callahan has to fight off _________ in order to make sure that he is safe and secure in his boat.
4. Callahan feels __________ for killing the fish, even though he needs it for food in order to stay alive.
5. Through the fog and freighter traffic, the Napoleon Solo sails into ____________ to start the race.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Callahan begin to document in order to calculate the odds of his own survival?
2. What does Callahan learn about the Italian vessel he passes during the beginning stages of the race?
3. What has happened to the electrics in the Napoleon Solo, according to the notes of Callahan?
4. What does Callahan not have to worry about at night anymore now that the weather has turned warm?
5. While Callahan hopes to reach his destination by February 25, what happens which seems to reduce the chances of this happening?
6. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
7. Where does the sinking of the Napoleon Solo take place, according to Callahan's calculations?
8. What was the warning that Callahan's ex-wife had given him, which Callahan now recalls?
9. Why does Callahan want to have calmer weather, even though it might mean that he has a longer time until he might reach the shipping lanes?
10. How does Callahan get the supplies he needs as he moves to his new location in the life raft?
Essay Topic 1
Many times, fixes which Callahan put into place suddenly do not work in the way that they did at the beginning.
Part 1: Why do you think the fixes aren't able to hold as well as Callahan thought they would?
Part 2: Would you panic if your fixes didn't work the way you expected them to?
Part 3: How do you think you might respond to problems in your boat returning again and again?
Essay Topic 2
The many health problems that plague Callahan during his trip seem unfathomable to those who have not been in this situation.
Part 1: How do you think you might have handled the many health problems and situations that Callahan did?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible to be completely healthy when you're in a survival situation?
Part 3: Do you believe Callahan should have known better about how to take care of his health?
Essay Topic 3
The Coast Guard doesn't seem all that interested in helping the Callahan find their lost family member.
Part 1: Why do you think the Coast Guard isn't as helpful as they could have been?
Part 2: How do you think the Coast Guard could have helped out more?
Part 3: Do you think the story might have been a little biased in the way it portrayed the Coast Guard? Is this possible?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)