|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Callahan's __________ day at sea, he is cleaning out a dorado fish when he has a health issue.
2. Callahan begins to appreciate how much better suited the local ____________ are to the area.
3. What does Callahan almost miss while he is distracted by the memories playing out in his mind?
4. In order to speed up his movement, Callahan decides to pull up the raft's underwater _____________.
5. How long does it take for the Napoleon Solo to become seaworthy in order to attempt his desired journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was there a possibility the Mini Transat might be delayed before Callahan had a chance to enter into it?
2. What happens after Callahan is able to kill a Dorado fish which has been running into his boat?
3. What happened as a result of Callahan's readings of Tinkerbell when he was a child?
4. What has happened to the electrics in the Napoleon Solo, according to the notes of Callahan?
5. Why does Callahan want to have calmer weather, even though it might mean that he has a longer time until he might reach the shipping lanes?
6. How does Callahan get the supplies he needs as he moves to his new location in the life raft?
7. How does Callahan decide to prove to himself that he can fulfill his dream to cross the ocean during his life time?
8. When Callahan sees a distant ship after his success with the food storage, how does he try to signal the ship?
9. How long does Callahan calculate it will take the boat to reach the shipping lanes of the ocean?
10. What does Mr. Willoughby try to tell Callahan about his dream to sail a boat across the ocean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Callahan is rescued in the end but it seems that his new loss of complete freedom causes him to be frustrated with the world.
Part 1: What freedoms has Callahan lost as a result of being rescued from the sea?
Part 2: Do you think it's reasonable for Callahan to be upset that he can not do anything he wants to do?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel if you were rescued after so many days at sea?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan's struggle to survive causes him to react instinctively when things go wrong.
Part 1: Why do you think the brain is able to continue to do things which will support human life?
Part 2: How do you think your body and mind might react if you were suddenly in a survival situation?
Part 3: Why do you think Callahan doesn't always trust in his survival instincts at first?
Essay Topic 3
Callahan decides in the beginning that he is better off than most who are in his situation.
Part 1: Do you agree that Callahan seems to be better off than most people in the situation that he's in on the boat?
Part 2: Why do you think that Callahan tells himself that he is better off than others?
Part 3: In what ways is Callahan worse off than others in his situation?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)