|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the slowest ocean current that Callahan is following at first, according to his calculations?
2. How high is the water in the boat as it begins to take on water after Callahan wakes up from his deep sleep?
3. Callahan is grateful that he will benefit from the unfortunate experiences of others, but fears his _________ may not be enough.
4. Callahan takes great comfort in the idea that if he does not survive, then his ___________ will tell his story.
5. How long does it take for the Napoleon Solo to become seaworthy in order to attempt his desired journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem of the choices which Callahan continues to make as he faces the problems of surviving in the boat?
2. What is one of the signs that the life raft Callahan is using for survival is not holding air as well as it used to?
3. Why does Callahan decide to eat more of the herbivore fish than the Dorado fish?
4. While Callahan hopes to reach his destination by February 25, what happens which seems to reduce the chances of this happening?
5. What are some of the leisure activities Callahan indulges in when he is on the Napoleon Solo?
6. When Callahan sees a distant ship after his success with the food storage, how does he try to signal the ship?
7. What happens after Callahan is able to kill a Dorado fish which has been running into his boat?
8. What kind of dream is Callahan having when he wakes up in the night to crashing waves in the boat?
9. How does Callahan decide to ease his digestion as the lack of bowel movements are becoming uncomfortable and upsetting to him?
10. What has happened to the electrics in the Napoleon Solo, according to the notes of Callahan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Callahan sleeps on the boat, which makes sense, but to readers who are not familiar with sailing, that might seem strange.
Part 1: Do you think you could sleep while sailing a boat?
Part 2: Why do you think Callahan is able to close his eyes and sleep without any troubles?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel more comfortable sleeping on a boat?
Essay Topic 2
Several times, it seems that Callahan might have been able to be rescued from his boat.
Part 1: Why do you think that Callahan's continued efforts to signal were not seen or heard?
Part 2: Is there anything else that Callahan could have done to be noticed? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Callahan had the right tools in order to be noticed in the Atlantic Ocean?
Essay Topic 3
Callahan is rescued in the end but it seems that his new loss of complete freedom causes him to be frustrated with the world.
Part 1: What freedoms has Callahan lost as a result of being rescued from the sea?
Part 2: Do you think it's reasonable for Callahan to be upset that he can not do anything he wants to do?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel if you were rescued after so many days at sea?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)