Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Callahan hope to reach his destination on his journey across the ocean?
2. Callahan feels __________ for killing the fish, even though he needs it for food in order to stay alive.
3. About a week into the storm, Callahan begins to worry about a ____________ tossing his small ship down a liquid avalanche.
4. Callahan begins to dream at night of the ___________ his body lacks as a result of his struggle to survive.
5. In order to handle the fish which continue to batter his ship, Callahan refines his ___________ technique.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fix that Callahan uses on the lower tube, helping it to hold air better than the upper tube?
2. What can't Callahan do because of his declining health and hydration, even though he is filled with heartbreak?
3. What happens to the harpoon gun that Callahan has had on the boat with him during his journey?
4. What is the main problem Callahan's family is having with the Coast Guard in an effort to rescue him from the ocean?
5. What is the damage which Callahan notices has occurred on his fishing spear, making it less effective?
6. What happens to the raft as the winds begin to pick up around the raft as Callahan tries to navigate?
7. What is the problem of the choices which Callahan continues to make as he faces the problems of surviving in the boat?
8. What are the three parts in which Callahan decides his mind has been split into as a result of this trip on the sea?
9. Why does Callahan decide to eat more of the herbivore fish than the Dorado fish?
10. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
Essay Topic 1
Callahan immediately wonders what supplies he did not take with him when he has to move onto his life raft.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan didn't have his supplies readily available to him?
Part 2: What else might you have taken for supplies if you were in Callahan's situation?
Part 3: How do you think Callahan did with the supplies that he did take from the boat? Did he do well or not?
Essay Topic 2
Even though he is starving, Callahan points out that he is weary of killing fish to survive.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan states that he is weary of killing fish around him?
Part 2: How do you think you would feel about killing animals if it were the only way you could get food?
Part 3: Do you think that Callahan is simply tired of working so hard to survive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Callahan decides in the beginning that he is better off than most who are in his situation.
Part 1: Do you agree that Callahan seems to be better off than most people in the situation that he's in on the boat?
Part 2: Why do you think that Callahan tells himself that he is better off than others?
Part 3: In what ways is Callahan worse off than others in his situation?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)