|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of fish does Callahan decide would yield more vitamins and minerals than other fish in the area?
2. Callahan becomes _________ at the sight of his lost boat and his lost dream, it seems.
3. What does Callahan mount on the top of the canopy in order to try to collect any rainwater when the storms come up?
4. What does Callahan rip off of the boat before he finally leaves it for the last time?
5. With the wide range of _____________, only the dawn and the dusk give Callahan any relief during his trip.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Callahan use his EPIRB more often in order to signal for help?
2. What is one of the signs that the life raft Callahan is using for survival is not holding air as well as it used to?
3. Why does Callahan decide to eat more of the herbivore fish than the Dorado fish?
4. How does Callahan begin to store food so that he may not run out of anything during times when he can not fish?
5. Why does Callahan want to have calmer weather, even though it might mean that he has a longer time until he might reach the shipping lanes?
6. How does Callahan decide to ease his digestion as the lack of bowel movements are becoming uncomfortable and upsetting to him?
7. Describe the new vessel which Callahan needs to use after his beloved Napoleon Solo sinks.
8. What happens to the harpoon gun that Callahan has had on the boat with him during his journey?
9. Why does Callahan decide to grab supplies as his ship is going down, aside to aid him in survival?
10. What does Callahan do when he finally catches a triggerfish to eat when on the boat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Callahan is faced with sickness, this could have resulted in the end of his life without the proper medical equipment.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan is able to overcome his illnesses?
Part 2: Do you think another person might not have been able to overcome this illness that Callahan faces?
Part 3: How do you think Callahan could have avoided illness on the boat?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan describes sailing as a sort of religious calling for him, when he makes one his first entries in his journal.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan decides to document his experiences?
Part 2: Why do you think sailing could be a sort of a religious call for some people?
Part 3: Do you feel you are called to do something specific in your life? What is this calling?
Essay Topic 3
Callahan decides that he needs to push doubt out of his mind if he wants to survive.
Part 1: What are the reasons that Callahan should continue to be hopeful on his journey?
Part 2: What are the reasons Callahan has for feeling despair and doubt?
Part 3: What are the benefits of pushing doubt from your mind during difficult situations?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)