|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comes along with the sudden rainfall that Callahan encounters during his journey on the ocean in this section?
2. Callahan realizes that his survival depends on his ability to make fresh _____________.
3. In the dead of the night, Callahan has to fight off _________ in order to make sure that he is safe and secure in his boat.
4. How long does it take for the Napoleon Solo to become seaworthy in order to attempt his desired journey?
5. How might Callahan be described as he is alone in the sailboat once more on his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Callahan do when he finally catches a triggerfish to eat when on the boat?
2. Why was there a possibility the Mini Transat might be delayed before Callahan had a chance to enter into it?
3. Why does Callahan decide to grab supplies as his ship is going down, aside to aid him in survival?
4. What happens to the harpoon gun that Callahan has had on the boat with him during his journey?
5. While Callahan hopes to reach his destination by February 25, what happens which seems to reduce the chances of this happening?
6. Why does Callahan decide to eat more of the herbivore fish than the Dorado fish?
7. What kind of dream is Callahan having when he wakes up in the night to crashing waves in the boat?
8. Where does the sinking of the Napoleon Solo take place, according to Callahan's calculations?
9. Describe the new vessel which Callahan needs to use after his beloved Napoleon Solo sinks.
10. What is one of the signs that the life raft Callahan is using for survival is not holding air as well as it used to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Over time, Callahan begins to refer to the fishes around him as his friends and companions on his journey.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan begins to see the fish as his friends?
Part 2: How do you think Callahan rationalizes the killing of the fish in order to provide him food?
Part 3: Do you think all humans instinctively seek out companionship? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Callahan decides in the beginning that he is better off than most who are in his situation.
Part 1: Do you agree that Callahan seems to be better off than most people in the situation that he's in on the boat?
Part 2: Why do you think that Callahan tells himself that he is better off than others?
Part 3: In what ways is Callahan worse off than others in his situation?
Essay Topic 3
The storms that batter the seas around Callahan from the beginning do not deter him from his goals.
Part 1: Why do you think that storms were not a concern for Callahan?
Part 2: How do you think you would have handled the presence of storms if you were on the boat?
Part 3: Do you think there is ever a time when the seas are completely calm?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)