|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Callahan mount on the top of the canopy in order to try to collect any rainwater when the storms come up?
2. What does Callahan do in order to get himself ready for the worsening storm before going to bed?
3. Remembering a conversation with his _________ helps Callahan to maintain a more stoic demeanor on his boat.
4. What does Callahan feel are now exposed since he has lost his boat and all of its security?
5. On Callahan's __________ day at sea, he is cleaning out a dorado fish when he has a health issue.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Callahan begin to document in order to calculate the odds of his own survival?
2. What are some of the leisure activities Callahan indulges in when he is on the Napoleon Solo?
3. Why doesn't Callahan use his EPIRB more often in order to signal for help?
4. What is the fear that Callahan has when he begins to think he has reached the shipping lanes in the ocean?
5. Why is it important for the harpoon gun to have a strap on it, according to Callahan?
6. How does Callahan decide to prove to himself that he can fulfill his dream to cross the ocean during his life time?
7. What happens after Callahan is able to kill a Dorado fish which has been running into his boat?
8. What kind of dream is Callahan having when he wakes up in the night to crashing waves in the boat?
9. What does Callahan learn about the Italian vessel he passes during the beginning stages of the race?
10. How does Callahan begin to store food so that he may not run out of anything during times when he can not fish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Callahan thinks of his family often, what they are doing, and how they might be thinking of him.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan continues to think about his family when he is out on the boat?
Part 2: Do you think it's helpful to think about home when you're in a survival situation?
Part 3: How do you think your family might react if you were lost at sea? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Even though he is starving, Callahan points out that he is weary of killing fish to survive.
Part 1: Why do you think Callahan states that he is weary of killing fish around him?
Part 2: How do you think you would feel about killing animals if it were the only way you could get food?
Part 3: Do you think that Callahan is simply tired of working so hard to survive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The storms that batter the seas around Callahan from the beginning do not deter him from his goals.
Part 1: Why do you think that storms were not a concern for Callahan?
Part 2: How do you think you would have handled the presence of storms if you were on the boat?
Part 3: Do you think there is ever a time when the seas are completely calm?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)