|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Callahan realizes that his ___________ is fragile at his point of the trip but he banishes the doubt from his mind.
(a) Emotional state.
2. By April 16th, Callahan is beginning to doubt his __________ as his morale and his outlook begin to spiral downward.
(d) Food supply.
3. When Callahan looks at his sextant, he decides that he is too far __________ in his journey's plans.
4. Callahan estimates that he is eighteen days from ___________ so he rations out his food in order to make it the duration of the trip.
5. Callahan realizes too that he is beginning to be unable to taste the _________ in the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Callahan do with the space blanket? What does he decide to use it for now?
2. When Callahan finds a strange mass in the ocean, he dines on the small __________ and shrimp which are located there.
3. What is the new color that Callahan can now see when he is looking out onto the horizon?
4. Callahan even creates a contraption which might collect drinking water from the ______________.
5. Callahan decides that mankind is his ____________ and that he wants to live, even though he is in a terrible position.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the new source of food that Callahan finds which he has not seen in a while on his journey?
2. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
3. What is the main problem Callahan's family is having with the Coast Guard in an effort to rescue him from the ocean?
4. What happens to the raft as the winds begin to pick up around the raft as Callahan tries to navigate?
5. What does Callahan finally realize about the way a man's life is measured in terms of its worth to others?
6. What is becoming harder for Callahan to complete after he has fixed the breach in the boat?
7. How had the fishermen come to find Callahan's boat in the water?
8. What does Callahan decide he needs to banish from his mind if he is to survive in the boat?
9. What is the first sign of land what Callahan sees when he wakes up during the night on April 20th?
10. What happens to the boat as a result of the fish fighting with Callahan during his attempts to catch it?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)