|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Callahan finds a strange mass in the ocean, he dines on the small __________ and shrimp which are located there.
2. What does Callahan catch, despite his weakness from the vomiting after drinking the water?
3. What is polluting the water which is being captured in the solar still, according to Callahan's observations?
(b) Bird excrement.
(c) Bird feathers.
4. What does Callahan catch when he tries to do some line fishing on the boat in order to catch food in a new way?
(a) Puffer fish.
5. What is the destination that Callahan aims for since he does not want to end up having to sail for 30 more days?
(a) West Indies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Callahan realizes that his ___________ is fragile at his point of the trip but he banishes the doubt from his mind.
2. Callahan's need for __________ completely contradicts his need for food, water, and shelter.
3. What is Callahan sitting in for days since the boat continues to have problems with taking on water?
4. Callahan uses loops of ___________ to help fix the speargun that he has cracked over time and with repeated use.
5. How often does Callahan need to pump air into the the lower tube of the raft since the fix didn't work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
2. What is the first sign of land what Callahan sees when he wakes up during the night on April 20th?
3. What happens when the dorado that Callahan tries to catch struggles with him during the process?
4. Who does Callahan suddenly imagine as his crew when he begins to see that fish is not going to sate him anymore?
5. What does Callahan finally realize about the way a man's life is measured in terms of its worth to others?
6. What are the three parts in which Callahan decides his mind has been split into as a result of this trip on the sea?
7. How does Callahan attempt to reinforce his cracked spearhead when he attempts to fish the next day after the incident with the dorado?
8. What can't Callahan do because of his declining health and hydration, even though he is filled with heartbreak?
9. What is the main problem Callahan's family is having with the Coast Guard in an effort to rescue him from the ocean?
10. What was the warning that Callahan's ex-wife had given him, which Callahan now recalls?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)