|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Callahan's family has learned of his rescue through a chain of _____________ contacts.
(a) Coast Guard.
(c) CB radio.
2. Callahan sees the tragic waste of life and the tragic waste of food as ______________ for the day and the trip.
(b) A bad omen.
3. By April 16th, Callahan is beginning to doubt his __________ as his morale and his outlook begin to spiral downward.
(a) Food supply.
4. Which of the tubes in the life raft begins to deflate as a result of the fish's actions on the side of the boat?
5. Callahan scans the horizon for __________ while being haunted by thoughts of food and drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. Callahan decides that mankind is his ____________ and that he wants to live, even though he is in a terrible position.
2. What does Callahan improvise with a length of tubing, a part of the blanket, and some twine?
3. Callahan realizes that his ___________ is fragile at his point of the trip but he banishes the doubt from his mind.
4. What Callahan did not know is that the Coast Guard did not list the Napoleon Solo as __________ since another ship was found.
5. Once the temperatures have turned warm, Callahan has no more fears of ___________ taking hold at night.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Callahan decide he wants to eat when he is in the hospital, refusing other types of nourishment?
2. What can't Callahan do because of his declining health and hydration, even though he is filled with heartbreak?
3. How had the fishermen come to find Callahan's boat in the water?
4. What does Callahan miss most about the early days of his new journey on the seas alone?
5. What happens to the raft as the winds begin to pick up around the raft as Callahan tries to navigate?
6. Who does Callahan suddenly imagine as his crew when he begins to see that fish is not going to sate him anymore?
7. What does Callahan attempt to do in order to keep himself hydrated as he continues to vomit?
8. What is the new source of food that Callahan finds which he has not seen in a while on his journey?
9. How does Callahan attempt to reinforce his cracked spearhead when he attempts to fish the next day after the incident with the dorado?
10. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)