|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Callahan did not know is that the Coast Guard did not list the Napoleon Solo as __________ since another ship was found.
2. What does Callahan catch when he tries to do some line fishing on the boat in order to catch food in a new way?
(d) Puffer fish.
3. Callahan believes that the water traffic will begin to pick up once he gets on the belt between Brazil and __________.
(b) The Andes.
4. Callahan thinks the only hope for him lies in finding the ____________ and getting rescued there.
(b) Florida Keys.
(c) Coast Guard station.
(d) West Indies.
5. What does Callahan do with the space blanket? What does he decide to use it for now?
(a) A pillow.
(b) A solar still.
(c) A fishing net.
(d) Water catching.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the final solar still finally breaks, Callahan only has _______ and dorado for sustenance as well as his emergency water supply.
2. The fishermen decide to through their hooks into the water and catch most of the ____________ of Callahan.
3. Callahan decides that mankind is his ____________ and that he wants to live, even though he is in a terrible position.
4. Few people are hopeful that Callahan is alive back home, causing many to _______________.
5. What has become a frozen lump of rust, not very effective for signalling to passing ships?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Callahan finally realize about the way a man's life is measured in terms of its worth to others?
2. What happens to the raft as the winds begin to pick up around the raft as Callahan tries to navigate?
3. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
4. How does Callahan attempt to reinforce his cracked spearhead when he attempts to fish the next day after the incident with the dorado?
5. How had the fishermen come to find Callahan's boat in the water?
6. What is the relationship that Callahan suddenly imagines with the dorado fish as they move past his boat?
7. What does Callahan decide he needs to banish from his mind if he is to survive in the boat?
8. What is the new source of food that Callahan finds which he has not seen in a while on his journey?
9. What is the fix that Callahan uses on the lower tube, helping it to hold air better than the upper tube?
10. What does Callahan do when he realizes that he may be about two weeks from land?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)