|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Callahan do with the space blanket? What does he decide to use it for now?
(a) A solar still.
(b) Water catching.
(c) A pillow.
(d) A fishing net.
2. Few people are hopeful that Callahan is alive back home, causing many to _______________.
(a) Sail to find him.
(b) Look harder.
(c) Give up the search.
(d) Tell the Coast Guard he is dead.
3. Callahan estimates that he is eighteen days from ___________ so he rations out his food in order to make it the duration of the trip.
4. What does Callahan believe to be possible about the warmer climes he is now encountering on his trip?
(a) He might be heading back home.
(b) He may be veering off course.
(c) Land may be close.
(d) He might be near the Equator.
5. How many fish is Callahan able to catch, even though he is exhausted by his efforts, though his catch revives him?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who corrects the issue with the Napoleon Solo's mistaken label which allows the search to continue?
2. When Callahan wakes up on March 19, he is still mourning the loss of the _____________ from the day before.
3. Which of the tubes in the life raft begins to deflate as a result of the fish's actions on the side of the boat?
4. The drying stores of meat in the boat sag down to the floor, causing them to turn rancid because of the _____________.
5. Later, Callahan accidentally punches a hole in the ___________ of the boat, although he fixes it quickly.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main problem Callahan's family is having with the Coast Guard in an effort to rescue him from the ocean?
2. What is the first sign of land what Callahan sees when he wakes up during the night on April 20th?
3. How had the fishermen come to find Callahan's boat in the water?
4. Who does Callahan suddenly imagine as his crew when he begins to see that fish is not going to sate him anymore?
5. What does Callahan decide he wants to eat when he is in the hospital, refusing other types of nourishment?
6. What does Callahan do to protect himself from a harsh landing on the rocky shore?
7. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
8. What was the warning that Callahan's ex-wife had given him, which Callahan now recalls?
9. What is becoming harder for Callahan to complete after he has fixed the breach in the boat?
10. How does Callahan attempt to plot his likely course as he begins to recover from his illness?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)