|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Callahan sitting in for days since the boat continues to have problems with taking on water?
(b) Salt water.
(d) Debris from the ocean.
2. Callahan's family has learned of his rescue through a chain of _____________ contacts.
(b) Coast Guard.
(d) CB radio.
3. What is the name of the man who offers to let Callahan stay in his hotel while he rests and decides what to do next?
4. What does Callahan use in order to try to fix the breach in the life raft as caused by the fish?
(b) A shoe.
5. Later, Callahan accidentally punches a hole in the ___________ of the boat, although he fixes it quickly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maria Galante is the smallest ___________ is the chain and that is where Callahan is finally taken.
2. What does Callahan catch, despite his weakness from the vomiting after drinking the water?
3. What decides to loiter around the boat, causing Callahan to have troubles sleeping one night while he is already thirst and depressed?
4. While Callahan was once a fiercely independent man, he now understands man to be a _________ animal.
5. What does Callahan use in order to create a makeshift sextant in order to plot his course?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Callahan try to lure other fish to his boat in order to catch more food for his stockpile?
2. What is the relationship that Callahan suddenly imagines with the dorado fish as they move past his boat?
3. What can't Callahan do because of his declining health and hydration, even though he is filled with heartbreak?
4. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
5. What does Callahan do to protect himself from a harsh landing on the rocky shore?
6. What is the main problem Callahan's family is having with the Coast Guard in an effort to rescue him from the ocean?
7. What does Callahan finally realize about the way a man's life is measured in terms of its worth to others?
8. What are the three parts in which Callahan decides his mind has been split into as a result of this trip on the sea?
9. What does Callahan do when he realizes that he may be about two weeks from land?
10. Who does Callahan suddenly imagine as his crew when he begins to see that fish is not going to sate him anymore?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)