|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Callahan use in order to try to fix the breach in the life raft as caused by the fish?
(d) A shoe.
2. Which of the tubes in the life raft begins to deflate as a result of the fish's actions on the side of the boat?
3. When Callahan finds a strange mass in the ocean, he dines on the small __________ and shrimp which are located there.
4. Why is it too difficult to fish at this point of the journey, according to Callahan?
(a) The nets are broken.
(b) The spear isn't working.
(c) The seas are rough.
(d) The fish are gone.
5. What does Callahan decide to use in order to fix up the hole that continues to blow out in his boat?
(d) His finger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What helps to restore the good spirits and the energy to Callahan after a few days of suffering?
2. Callahan imagines that someday his ex-wife might dine upon a __________ which fed upon his corpse.
3. What does Callahan come across as he is sailing around on April 6th on the ocean?
4. Since he is thirsty enough, Callahan decides to drink water from the ____________, although it makes him sick.
5. By April 16th, Callahan is beginning to doubt his __________ as his morale and his outlook begin to spiral downward.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Callahan suddenly imagine as his crew when he begins to see that fish is not going to sate him anymore?
2. What does Callahan decide he needs to banish from his mind if he is to survive in the boat?
3. What does Callahan miss most about the early days of his new journey on the seas alone?
4. What happens to the boat as a result of the fish fighting with Callahan during his attempts to catch it?
5. What is the fix that Callahan uses on the lower tube, helping it to hold air better than the upper tube?
6. What was the warning that Callahan's ex-wife had given him, which Callahan now recalls?
7. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
8. What does Callahan do to protect himself from a harsh landing on the rocky shore?
9. What is the new source of food that Callahan finds which he has not seen in a while on his journey?
10. What does Callahan decide he wants to eat when he is in the hospital, refusing other types of nourishment?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)