|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Callahan realize he might need to do in order to hydrate himself if he can not get fresh water?
(a) A saltwater enema.
(b) Soak in the ocean.
(c) Swim to shore.
(d) Drink his reserves.
2. What does Callahan lose as the raft begins to swirl around in a circle as he is attempting to navigate?
(a) Precious time.
(b) The solar still.
(c) The map.
(d) His sextant.
3. What is polluting the water which is being captured in the solar still, according to Callahan's observations?
(a) Bird feathers.
(b) Bird excrement.
4. What does Callahan catch, despite his weakness from the vomiting after drinking the water?
5. Since he is thirsty enough, Callahan decides to drink water from the ____________, although it makes him sick.
(b) Bottom of the boat.
(c) Coffee can.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Callahan lay down in order to protect his raft from further damage as he is fishing for food?
2. What does a fish bite into, causing water to drain back out to sea, according to the observations of Callahan?
3. What is the name of the man who offers to let Callahan stay in his hotel while he rests and decides what to do next?
4. How many fish is Callahan able to catch, even though he is exhausted by his efforts, though his catch revives him?
5. Why does Callahan turn on his beacon after drinking some of the tainted water? What does he think he hears?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main problem Callahan's family is having with the Coast Guard in an effort to rescue him from the ocean?
2. How does Callahan try to lure other fish to his boat in order to catch more food for his stockpile?
3. What is the damage which Callahan notices has occurred on his fishing spear, making it less effective?
4. What does Callahan do when he realizes that he may be about two weeks from land?
5. What does Callahan miss most about the early days of his new journey on the seas alone?
6. What is the fix that Callahan uses on the lower tube, helping it to hold air better than the upper tube?
7. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
8. What are the three parts in which Callahan decides his mind has been split into as a result of this trip on the sea?
9. What does Callahan decide he needs to banish from his mind if he is to survive in the boat?
10. What is becoming harder for Callahan to complete after he has fixed the breach in the boat?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)