|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Callahan use in order to create a makeshift sextant in order to plot his course?
(d) Rubber bands.
2. Callahan decides that the ______________ is the best way for him to catch fish on the boat, despite other method attempts.
(d) Spear gun.
3. Why is it too difficult to fish at this point of the journey, according to Callahan?
(a) The seas are rough.
(b) The fish are gone.
(c) The spear isn't working.
(d) The nets are broken.
4. What is the destination that Callahan aims for since he does not want to end up having to sail for 30 more days?
(d) West Indies.
5. The __________ keeps slumping over, causing Callahan to have to blow it up every ten or fifteen minutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Callahan need to pump air into the the lower tube of the raft since the fix didn't work?
2. What does a fish bite into, causing water to drain back out to sea, according to the observations of Callahan?
3. Callahan begins to note the new _____________ in his new vicinity and location, which makes him curious as to where he is.
4. What jumps into Callahan's raft and he tries to use it for bait, though it is unsuccessful?
5. From what besides the radar reflector does Callahan take the remnants in order to help make a crude rain collector?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Callahan do to protect himself from a harsh landing on the rocky shore?
2. What does Callahan have to do before he can fix up the problem with the lower half of the life raft?
3. What does Callahan do to celebrate the sight of land in the distance?
4. What is the first sign of land what Callahan sees when he wakes up during the night on April 20th?
5. How does Callahan try to lure other fish to his boat in order to catch more food for his stockpile?
6. What does Callahan not have to worry about at night anymore now that the weather has turned warm?
7. What is the damage which Callahan notices has occurred on his fishing spear, making it less effective?
8. How had the fishermen come to find Callahan's boat in the water?
9. What happens when the dorado that Callahan tries to catch struggles with him during the process?
10. What happens to the raft as the winds begin to pick up around the raft as Callahan tries to navigate?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)