|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the new color that Callahan can now see when he is looking out onto the horizon?
2. Later, Callahan accidentally punches a hole in the ___________ of the boat, although he fixes it quickly.
3. Callahan imagines that someday his ex-wife might dine upon a __________ which fed upon his corpse.
(c) Sea urchin.
4. What does Callahan lose as the raft begins to swirl around in a circle as he is attempting to navigate?
(a) His sextant.
(b) The map.
(c) The solar still.
(d) Precious time.
5. Callahan tries to force himself to think ___________ in order to come up with a solution for the leak in his boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Callahan decide to use as a tip for his spear in order to fix the spear he has had for the duration of the trip?
2. What does Callahan do with the space blanket? What does he decide to use it for now?
3. The fishermen decide to through their hooks into the water and catch most of the ____________ of Callahan.
4. Callahan believes that the water traffic will begin to pick up once he gets on the belt between Brazil and __________.
5. The __________ keeps slumping over, causing Callahan to have to blow it up every ten or fifteen minutes.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fix that Callahan uses on the lower tube, helping it to hold air better than the upper tube?
2. How had the fishermen come to find Callahan's boat in the water?
3. What does Callahan decide he wants to eat when he is in the hospital, refusing other types of nourishment?
4. What does Callahan do to celebrate the sight of land in the distance?
5. What does Callahan do when he realizes that he may be about two weeks from land?
6. What does Callahan attempt to do in order to keep himself hydrated as he continues to vomit?
7. What was the warning that Callahan's ex-wife had given him, which Callahan now recalls?
8. What is the damage which Callahan notices has occurred on his fishing spear, making it less effective?
9. What can't Callahan do because of his declining health and hydration, even though he is filled with heartbreak?
10. Who does Callahan suddenly imagine as his crew when he begins to see that fish is not going to sate him anymore?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)