|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Callahan wakes up on March 19, he is still mourning the loss of the _____________ from the day before.
(b) Solar still.
2. What does Callahan improvise with a length of tubing, a part of the blanket, and some twine?
(a) A basket.
(b) A signalling device.
(c) A funnel.
(d) A tent.
3. What does Callahan decide to do when anticipates a trial filled landfall in a few hours?
(a) Turn on the EPIRB.
(c) Plot his course.
(d) Get some sleep.
4. Callahan estimates that he is eighteen days from ___________ so he rations out his food in order to make it the duration of the trip.
5. Few people are hopeful that Callahan is alive back home, causing many to _______________.
(a) Look harder.
(b) Sail to find him.
(c) Give up the search.
(d) Tell the Coast Guard he is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Callahan tries to force himself to think ___________ in order to come up with a solution for the leak in his boat.
2. Since he is thirsty enough, Callahan decides to drink water from the ____________, although it makes him sick.
3. What does Callahan realize he might need to do in order to hydrate himself if he can not get fresh water?
4. What is polluting the water which is being captured in the solar still, according to Callahan's observations?
5. Callahan is overcome with emotion as the reality of his ____________ finally sinks in when he touches land.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is able to help Callahan replenish his water supply for a bit while the stills continue to be temperamental?
2. What does Callahan not have to worry about at night anymore now that the weather has turned warm?
3. How does Callahan try to lure other fish to his boat in order to catch more food for his stockpile?
4. How does Callahan attempt to reinforce his cracked spearhead when he attempts to fish the next day after the incident with the dorado?
5. What was the warning that Callahan's ex-wife had given him, which Callahan now recalls?
6. What does Callahan attempt to do in order to keep himself hydrated as he continues to vomit?
7. What can't Callahan do because of his declining health and hydration, even though he is filled with heartbreak?
8. How had the fishermen come to find Callahan's boat in the water?
9. What happens to the raft as the winds begin to pick up around the raft as Callahan tries to navigate?
10. What does Callahan finally realize about the way a man's life is measured in terms of its worth to others?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)