|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has atrophied so severely that Callahan is unable to keep himself upright?
2. Callahan wonders how close he is to the _____________ as he works to keep the lower tube of the raft inflated.
(a) Shipping lane.
(d) Continental shelf.
3. Later, Callahan accidentally punches a hole in the ___________ of the boat, although he fixes it quickly.
4. What is the new color that Callahan can now see when he is looking out onto the horizon?
5. What does Callahan improvise with a length of tubing, a part of the blanket, and some twine?
(a) A signalling device.
(b) A funnel.
(c) A tent.
(d) A basket.
Short Answer Questions
1. The fishermen decide to through their hooks into the water and catch most of the ____________ of Callahan.
2. What is Callahan sitting in for days since the boat continues to have problems with taking on water?
3. The drying stores of meat in the boat sag down to the floor, causing them to turn rancid because of the _____________.
4. What is the name of the man who offers to let Callahan stay in his hotel while he rests and decides what to do next?
5. What Callahan did not know is that the Coast Guard did not list the Napoleon Solo as __________ since another ship was found.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first sign of land what Callahan sees when he wakes up during the night on April 20th?
2. What does Callahan do when he realizes that he may be about two weeks from land?
3. What is the new source of food that Callahan finds which he has not seen in a while on his journey?
4. What happens to the boat as a result of the fish fighting with Callahan during his attempts to catch it?
5. What does Callahan miss most about the early days of his new journey on the seas alone?
6. What does Callahan do to celebrate the sight of land in the distance?
7. What does Callahan do to protect himself from a harsh landing on the rocky shore?
8. What does Callahan have to do before he can fix up the problem with the lower half of the life raft?
9. What is the relationship that Callahan suddenly imagines with the dorado fish as they move past his boat?
10. What was the warning that Callahan's ex-wife had given him, which Callahan now recalls?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)