|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what island does Callahan realize he has come to as he meets the fishermen in the boat?
2. Once the temperatures have turned warm, Callahan has no more fears of ___________ taking hold at night.
(a) Bad dreams.
3. What has atrophied so severely that Callahan is unable to keep himself upright?
4. What color is the light by which Callahan eats when he successfully traps another dorado fish?
5. Callahan scans the horizon for __________ while being haunted by thoughts of food and drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the knives has snapped off the end of the spearhead, leaving Callahan with a less than effective instrument?
2. Callahan estimates that he is eighteen days from ___________ so he rations out his food in order to make it the duration of the trip.
3. Callahan watches from a distance as __________ bring fresh water to the ocean, although he can not get to it.
4. What does Callahan first hear as he prepares to make a difficult landing against the shore?
5. Unbeknownst to Callahan, __________ has been trying to rescue him, but has been facing an uncooperative Coast Guard.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Callahan decide he needs to banish from his mind if he is to survive in the boat?
2. What is becoming harder for Callahan to complete after he has fixed the breach in the boat?
3. What does Callahan miss most about the early days of his new journey on the seas alone?
4. What is the damage which Callahan notices has occurred on his fishing spear, making it less effective?
5. What does Callahan not have to worry about at night anymore now that the weather has turned warm?
6. What does Callahan decide he wants to eat when he is in the hospital, refusing other types of nourishment?
7. Who does Callahan suddenly imagine as his crew when he begins to see that fish is not going to sate him anymore?
8. What is the first sign of land what Callahan sees when he wakes up during the night on April 20th?
9. What is the new source of food that Callahan finds which he has not seen in a while on his journey?
10. What happens to the boat as a result of the fish fighting with Callahan during his attempts to catch it?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)