|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Callahan realizes that his ___________ is fragile at his point of the trip but he banishes the doubt from his mind.
(a) Emotional state.
2. What is polluting the water which is being captured in the solar still, according to Callahan's observations?
(a) Bird excrement.
(d) Bird feathers.
3. Callahan is overcome with emotion as the reality of his ____________ finally sinks in when he touches land.
4. Callahan estimates that he is eighteen days from ___________ so he rations out his food in order to make it the duration of the trip.
5. Callahan believes that the water traffic will begin to pick up once he gets on the belt between Brazil and __________.
(d) The Andes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to the island in order to give Callahan a new wardrobe to wear after his journey?
2. While Callahan was once a fiercely independent man, he now understands man to be a _________ animal.
3. What does Callahan first hear as he prepares to make a difficult landing against the shore?
4. Which of the tubes in the life raft begins to deflate as a result of the fish's actions on the side of the boat?
5. Callahan's family has learned of his rescue through a chain of _____________ contacts.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Callahan do to protect himself from a harsh landing on the rocky shore?
2. What does Callahan attempt to do in order to keep himself hydrated as he continues to vomit?
3. What is the main problem Callahan's family is having with the Coast Guard in an effort to rescue him from the ocean?
4. Who does Callahan suddenly imagine as his crew when he begins to see that fish is not going to sate him anymore?
5. What does Callahan do to celebrate the sight of land in the distance?
6. What are the three parts in which Callahan decides his mind has been split into as a result of this trip on the sea?
7. How had the fishermen come to find Callahan's boat in the water?
8. What is the damage which Callahan notices has occurred on his fishing spear, making it less effective?
9. What is the fix that Callahan uses on the lower tube, helping it to hold air better than the upper tube?
10. What does Callahan decide he wants to eat when he is in the hospital, refusing other types of nourishment?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)