|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has become a frozen lump of rust, not very effective for signalling to passing ships?
(a) The space blanket.
(b) Callahan himself.
(c) The Harpoon gun.
(d) His flare gun.
2. Later, Callahan accidentally punches a hole in the ___________ of the boat, although he fixes it quickly.
3. What Callahan did not know is that the Coast Guard did not list the Napoleon Solo as __________ since another ship was found.
4. The fishermen decide to through their hooks into the water and catch most of the ____________ of Callahan.
5. What does Callahan realize he might need to do in order to hydrate himself if he can not get fresh water?
(a) Soak in the ocean.
(b) A saltwater enema.
(c) Drink his reserves.
(d) Swim to shore.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a fish bite into, causing water to drain back out to sea, according to the observations of Callahan?
2. What is Callahan sitting in for days since the boat continues to have problems with taking on water?
3. Where does Callahan want to go in order to get his mail before he flies back to Maine?
4. Which of the knives has snapped off the end of the spearhead, leaving Callahan with a less than effective instrument?
5. How does Callahan continue to work at night, even though the darkness prevents him from seeing what he is doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Callahan miss most about the early days of his new journey on the seas alone?
2. What happens to the raft as the winds begin to pick up around the raft as Callahan tries to navigate?
3. What does Callahan have to do before he can fix up the problem with the lower half of the life raft?
4. What happens to the boat as a result of the fish fighting with Callahan during his attempts to catch it?
5. What is becoming harder for Callahan to complete after he has fixed the breach in the boat?
6. What can't Callahan do because of his declining health and hydration, even though he is filled with heartbreak?
7. How does Callahan attempt to reinforce his cracked spearhead when he attempts to fish the next day after the incident with the dorado?
8. What is the new source of food that Callahan finds which he has not seen in a while on his journey?
9. What is the first sign of land what Callahan sees when he wakes up during the night on April 20th?
10. What does Callahan do when he realizes that he may be about two weeks from land?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)