|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Callahan is overcome with emotion as the reality of his ____________ finally sinks in when he touches land.
2. Callahan decides it is his __________ which allows him to survive in the boat and in the world.
3. When Callahan wakes up on March 19, he is still mourning the loss of the _____________ from the day before.
(c) Solar still.
4. Callahan begins to note the new _____________ in his new vicinity and location, which makes him curious as to where he is.
(c) Weather patterns.
5. What does Callahan realize he might need to do in order to hydrate himself if he can not get fresh water?
(a) Swim to shore.
(b) Drink his reserves.
(c) Soak in the ocean.
(d) A saltwater enema.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Callahan drape on the top of his boat in order to help it dry out and to keep the canopy area cool?
2. How many fish is Callahan able to catch, even though he is exhausted by his efforts, though his catch revives him?
3. Why does Callahan turn on his beacon after drinking some of the tainted water? What does he think he hears?
4. Callahan's need for __________ completely contradicts his need for food, water, and shelter.
5. Callahan decides that mankind is his ____________ and that he wants to live, even though he is in a terrible position.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Callahan do to protect himself from a harsh landing on the rocky shore?
2. What happens to the boat as a result of the fish fighting with Callahan during his attempts to catch it?
3. What does Callahan attempt to do in order to keep himself hydrated as he continues to vomit?
4. What is the fix that Callahan uses on the lower tube, helping it to hold air better than the upper tube?
5. What is the first sign of land what Callahan sees when he wakes up during the night on April 20th?
6. What is the damage which Callahan notices has occurred on his fishing spear, making it less effective?
7. What are the three parts in which Callahan decides his mind has been split into as a result of this trip on the sea?
8. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
9. What does Callahan not have to worry about at night anymore now that the weather has turned warm?
10. What is able to help Callahan replenish his water supply for a bit while the stills continue to be temperamental?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)