|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Callahan drape on the top of his boat in order to help it dry out and to keep the canopy area cool?
(a) Sleeping bag.
(c) A coat.
(d) His shirt.
2. How does Callahan continue to work at night, even though the darkness prevents him from seeing what he is doing?
(a) Superior night vision.
(c) He doesn't work at night.
(d) A flashlight on his head.
3. Since he is thirsty enough, Callahan decides to drink water from the ____________, although it makes him sick.
(a) Coffee can.
(c) Bottom of the boat.
4. Callahan actually begins to feel saddened by the loss of another ____________ when he kills and eats the fish.
(b) Sea creature.
5. What is the new color that Callahan can now see when he is looking out onto the horizon?
Short Answer Questions
1. Unbeknownst to Callahan, __________ has been trying to rescue him, but has been facing an uncooperative Coast Guard.
2. What color is the light by which Callahan eats when he successfully traps another dorado fish?
3. Few people are hopeful that Callahan is alive back home, causing many to _______________.
4. What is Callahan careful not to mistake a static cloud for in the distance as he is sailing out in the sea?
5. Callahan decides it is his __________ which allows him to survive in the boat and in the world.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship that Callahan suddenly imagines with the dorado fish as they move past his boat?
2. How does Callahan attempt to reinforce his cracked spearhead when he attempts to fish the next day after the incident with the dorado?
3. What can't Callahan do because of his declining health and hydration, even though he is filled with heartbreak?
4. What is the damage which Callahan notices has occurred on his fishing spear, making it less effective?
5. How does Callahan attempt to plot his likely course as he begins to recover from his illness?
6. What is able to help Callahan replenish his water supply for a bit while the stills continue to be temperamental?
7. How does Callahan try to lure other fish to his boat in order to catch more food for his stockpile?
8. Who does Callahan suddenly imagine as his crew when he begins to see that fish is not going to sate him anymore?
9. What is the first sign of land what Callahan sees when he wakes up during the night on April 20th?
10. What is the new source of food that Callahan finds which he has not seen in a while on his journey?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)