|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Callahan catch when he tries to do some line fishing on the boat in order to catch food in a new way?
(a) Puffer fish.
2. What still requires constant attention in order to function properly and to help Callahan survive?
(a) His EPIRB.
(b) His fishing spear.
(c) Solar still.
(d) The inner tube.
3. What jumps into Callahan's raft and he tries to use it for bait, though it is unsuccessful?
(a) Flying fish.
(d) Puffer fish.
4. Maria Galante is the smallest ___________ is the chain and that is where Callahan is finally taken.
5. Few people are hopeful that Callahan is alive back home, causing many to _______________.
(a) Look harder.
(b) Tell the Coast Guard he is dead.
(c) Sail to find him.
(d) Give up the search.
Short Answer Questions
1. Callahan begins to note the new _____________ in his new vicinity and location, which makes him curious as to where he is.
2. Callahan decides that the ______________ is the best way for him to catch fish on the boat, despite other method attempts.
3. Callahan scans the horizon for __________ while being haunted by thoughts of food and drink.
4. What Callahan did not know is that the Coast Guard did not list the Napoleon Solo as __________ since another ship was found.
5. By April 16th, Callahan is beginning to doubt his __________ as his morale and his outlook begin to spiral downward.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the new source of food that Callahan finds which he has not seen in a while on his journey?
2. What is the fix that Callahan uses on the lower tube, helping it to hold air better than the upper tube?
3. What does Callahan decide he needs to banish from his mind if he is to survive in the boat?
4. What does Callahan do to protect himself from a harsh landing on the rocky shore?
5. What does Callahan have to do before he can fix up the problem with the lower half of the life raft?
6. How does Callahan attempt to reinforce his cracked spearhead when he attempts to fish the next day after the incident with the dorado?
7. What does Callahan finally realize about the way a man's life is measured in terms of its worth to others?
8. What is able to help Callahan replenish his water supply for a bit while the stills continue to be temperamental?
9. What happens to the raft as the winds begin to pick up around the raft as Callahan tries to navigate?
10. What is the main problem Callahan's family is having with the Coast Guard in an effort to rescue him from the ocean?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)