|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many fish is Callahan able to catch, even though he is exhausted by his efforts, though his catch revives him?
2. Callahan actually begins to feel saddened by the loss of another ____________ when he kills and eats the fish.
(b) Sea creature.
3. What is Callahan careful not to mistake a static cloud for in the distance as he is sailing out in the sea?
(a) A bag of trash.
(b) A person.
(c) A mountain range.
(d) A fish.
4. At dinner, Callahan eats a large amount of ____________ food, surprising everyone with the appetite he has.
5. Unbeknownst to Callahan, __________ has been trying to rescue him, but has been facing an uncooperative Coast Guard.
(a) The military.
(b) The President.
(c) His wife.
(d) His family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Callahan use in order to try to fix the breach in the life raft as caused by the fish?
2. Since he is thirsty enough, Callahan decides to drink water from the ____________, although it makes him sick.
3. Callahan is overcome with emotion as the reality of his ____________ finally sinks in when he touches land.
4. Callahan tries to force himself to think ___________ in order to come up with a solution for the leak in his boat.
5. What does Callahan decide to do when anticipates a trial filled landfall in a few hours?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Callahan decide he wants to eat when he is in the hospital, refusing other types of nourishment?
2. Who does Callahan suddenly imagine as his crew when he begins to see that fish is not going to sate him anymore?
3. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
4. What does Callahan decide he needs to banish from his mind if he is to survive in the boat?
5. What is the new source of food that Callahan finds which he has not seen in a while on his journey?
6. How does Callahan attempt to plot his likely course as he begins to recover from his illness?
7. What does Callahan attempt to do in order to keep himself hydrated as he continues to vomit?
8. What happens when the dorado that Callahan tries to catch struggles with him during the process?
9. What is able to help Callahan replenish his water supply for a bit while the stills continue to be temperamental?
10. What does Callahan finally realize about the way a man's life is measured in terms of its worth to others?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)