|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Callahan begins to note the new _____________ in his new vicinity and location, which makes him curious as to where he is.
(a) Weather patterns.
2. What does a fish bite into, causing water to drain back out to sea, according to the observations of Callahan?
(a) The bottom of the boat.
(b) The outer tube.
(c) The inner tube.
(d) Distillation bag.
3. How often does Callahan need to pump air into the the lower tube of the raft since the fix didn't work?
(a) Every single minute.
(b) Every 10 minutes.
(c) Every 30 minutes.
(d) He doesn't.
4. Unbeknownst to Callahan, __________ has been trying to rescue him, but has been facing an uncooperative Coast Guard.
(a) His family.
(b) His wife.
(c) The military.
(d) The President.
5. What still requires constant attention in order to function properly and to help Callahan survive?
(a) Solar still.
(b) His EPIRB.
(c) His fishing spear.
(d) The inner tube.
Short Answer Questions
1. Callahan tries to force himself to think ___________ in order to come up with a solution for the leak in his boat.
2. What was the name of Callahan's ex-wife, who he remembers on what would have been another wedding anniversary?
3. What isn't tight enough to keep the boat from losing air after the damage was done by the fish?
4. What does Callahan decide to use as a tip for his spear in order to fix the spear he has had for the duration of the trip?
5. The __________ keeps slumping over, causing Callahan to have to blow it up every ten or fifteen minutes.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Callahan attempt to plot his likely course as he begins to recover from his illness?
2. What is the first sign of land what Callahan sees when he wakes up during the night on April 20th?
3. What does Callahan decide he wants to eat when he is in the hospital, refusing other types of nourishment?
4. What does Callahan do to protect himself from a harsh landing on the rocky shore?
5. What is the main problem Callahan's family is having with the Coast Guard in an effort to rescue him from the ocean?
6. What can't Callahan do because of his declining health and hydration, even though he is filled with heartbreak?
7. What is becoming harder for Callahan to complete after he has fixed the breach in the boat?
8. How does Callahan finally fix the hole that has been ruining the solar still that he tries to use?
9. What are the three parts in which Callahan decides his mind has been split into as a result of this trip on the sea?
10. What does Callahan do to celebrate the sight of land in the distance?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)