|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What continues to cause Callahan's ship to be battered about the ocean, not adding to the comfort of Callahan?
2. While the new contraption Callahan has made with the gun works, the __________ he catches is almost lost to the water in a struggle.
3. The power strap of Callahan's _____________ gun has fallen loose and now sinks below the waves.
4. What does Callahan wake to find in his boat when he decides to get some sleep during the storm?
(a) Another sailor.
(b) Water in the boat.
(c) A shark in the boat.
(d) A broken solar still.
5. In the dead of the night, Callahan has to fight off _________ in order to make sure that he is safe and secure in his boat.
(c) A storm.
(d) A downpour.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to handle the fish which continue to batter his ship, Callahan refines his ___________ technique.
2. What does Callahan mount on the top of the canopy in order to try to collect any rainwater when the storms come up?
3. Callahan realizes that his survival depends on his ability to make fresh _____________.
4. A passing __________ informs Callahan that all but four of the competitors are behind him.
5. From where does Callahan begin his adventure to the other side of the ocean on January 29th?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the harpoon gun that Callahan has had on the boat with him during his journey?
2. How does Callahan get the supplies he needs as he moves to his new location in the life raft?
3. What is the fear that Callahan has when he begins to think he has reached the shipping lanes in the ocean?
4. What is the problem of the choices which Callahan continues to make as he faces the problems of surviving in the boat?
5. What does Mr. Willoughby try to tell Callahan about his dream to sail a boat across the ocean?
6. Why doesn't Callahan use his EPIRB more often in order to signal for help?
7. What does Callahan begin to document in order to calculate the odds of his own survival?
8. What does Callahan learn about the Italian vessel he passes during the beginning stages of the race?
9. Describe the new vessel which Callahan needs to use after his beloved Napoleon Solo sinks.
10. How does Callahan decide to ease his digestion as the lack of bowel movements are becoming uncomfortable and upsetting to him?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)