|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of fish does Callahan decide would yield more vitamins and minerals than other fish in the area?
2. What does Callahan feel are now exposed since he has lost his boat and all of its security?
(a) Chances of survival.
(d) His soul.
3. What causes damage to the better functioning solar still, further making Callahan upset with his situation?
(a) A shark.
(c) His own carelessness.
(d) A large wave.
4. What did Callahan pack which he felt he had good luck in bringing with him, though he hadn't expected to use it?
(a) A flare gun.
(c) A novel.
(d) His army knife.
5. Catherine often called Callahan a ________ man when they were together, which has led him to little luck with romance.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Callahan bail out sea water from the boat as he is drifting in the ocean?
2. Which of the boats quickly takes the lead when the trans-Atlantic race finally begins at the start of the book?
3. Callahan is plagued by ________ and loss at all of the items he was not able to bring with him on the raft.
4. What is in the triggerfish that Callahan finds, which adds to the nutrition he is able to enjoy?
5. On what date so the storms come up, causing Callahan to think he might not reach his destination on his desired schedule?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Callahan do when he finally catches a triggerfish to eat when on the boat?
2. How does Callahan get the supplies he needs as he moves to his new location in the life raft?
3. What does Callahan begin to document in order to calculate the odds of his own survival?
4. How does Callahan decide to ease his digestion as the lack of bowel movements are becoming uncomfortable and upsetting to him?
5. How does Callahan decide to prove to himself that he can fulfill his dream to cross the ocean during his life time?
6. Why does Callahan decide to grab supplies as his ship is going down, aside to aid him in survival?
7. Why is it important for the harpoon gun to have a strap on it, according to Callahan?
8. What is the problem of the choices which Callahan continues to make as he faces the problems of surviving in the boat?
9. What does Callahan risk when he tries to squeak past the Finisterre during the next stage of the race?
10. What is one of the signs that the life raft Callahan is using for survival is not holding air as well as it used to?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)