|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the light by which Callahan eats when he successfully traps another dorado fish?
2. What is the source of the flash that Callahan sees when he wakes up in the middle of the night on April 20th?
(a) A bomb.
(b) Flare gun.
(c) An airplane.
3. What jumps into Callahan's raft and he tries to use it for bait, though it is unsuccessful?
(c) Flying fish.
(d) Puffer fish.
4. What is the destination that Callahan aims for since he does not want to end up having to sail for 30 more days?
(a) West Indies.
5. What decides to loiter around the boat, causing Callahan to have troubles sleeping one night while he is already thirst and depressed?
(a) A shark.
(b) A loud storm.
(c) A freighter.
(d) A friendly dolphin.
6. What does Callahan improvise with a length of tubing, a part of the blanket, and some twine?
(a) A funnel.
(b) A signalling device.
(c) A tent.
(d) A basket.
7. Callahan uses loops of ___________ to help fix the speargun that he has cracked over time and with repeated use.
8. What helps to restore the good spirits and the energy to Callahan after a few days of suffering?
(a) A cloudy and cool day.
(b) The book he has on board.
(c) A clear sky.
(d) Dorado fish.
9. What does Callahan decide to use in order to fix up the hole that continues to blow out in his boat?
(b) His finger.
10. Which of the knives has snapped off the end of the spearhead, leaving Callahan with a less than effective instrument?
(a) None of the knives has snapped off.
(b) Leather knife.
(c) Both knives.
(d) Butter knife.
11. Callahan believes that the water traffic will begin to pick up once he gets on the belt between Brazil and __________.
(d) The Andes.
12. Who corrects the issue with the Napoleon Solo's mistaken label which allows the search to continue?
(a) The Coast Guard.
(b) A journalist.
(c) Callahan's family.
(d) Callahan's ex-wife.
13. What remained inflated with the new sticky gum fix that Callahan comes up with during his ill state?
(a) The upper tube.
(b) The lower tube.
(c) Solar still.
(d) The inner tube.
14. How many fish is Callahan able to catch, even though he is exhausted by his efforts, though his catch revives him?
15. Callahan wonders how close he is to the _____________ as he works to keep the lower tube of the raft inflated.
(a) Shipping lane.
(c) Continental shelf.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the final solar still finally breaks, Callahan only has _______ and dorado for sustenance as well as his emergency water supply.
2. Where does Callahan want to go in order to get his mail before he flies back to Maine?
3. The fishermen decide to through their hooks into the water and catch most of the ____________ of Callahan.
4. What does Callahan first hear as he prepares to make a difficult landing against the shore?
5. The __________ keeps slumping over, causing Callahan to have to blow it up every ten or fifteen minutes.
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)