|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Callahan's need for __________ completely contradicts his need for food, water, and shelter.
2. What jumps into Callahan's raft and he tries to use it for bait, though it is unsuccessful?
(a) Flying fish.
(d) Puffer fish.
3. Callahan wonders how close he is to the _____________ as he works to keep the lower tube of the raft inflated.
(b) Shipping lane.
(c) Continental shelf.
4. What does Callahan realize he might need to do in order to hydrate himself if he can not get fresh water?
(a) Soak in the ocean.
(b) Swim to shore.
(c) Drink his reserves.
(d) A saltwater enema.
5. What was the name of Callahan's ex-wife, who he remembers on what would have been another wedding anniversary?
6. Callahan realizes that his ___________ is fragile at his point of the trip but he banishes the doubt from his mind.
(c) Emotional state.
7. Callahan decides it is his __________ which allows him to survive in the boat and in the world.
8. What does Callahan decide to use as a tip for his spear in order to fix the spear he has had for the duration of the trip?
(a) Butter knife.
(b) A pocket knife.
9. How does Callahan continue to work at night, even though the darkness prevents him from seeing what he is doing?
(a) Superior night vision.
(c) He doesn't work at night.
(d) A flashlight on his head.
10. What is polluting the water which is being captured in the solar still, according to Callahan's observations?
(c) Bird feathers.
(d) Bird excrement.
11. What has become a frozen lump of rust, not very effective for signalling to passing ships?
(a) The Harpoon gun.
(b) His flare gun.
(c) Callahan himself.
(d) The space blanket.
12. Maria Galante is the smallest ___________ is the chain and that is where Callahan is finally taken.
13. Callahan imagines that someday his ex-wife might dine upon a __________ which fed upon his corpse.
(d) Sea urchin.
14. What decides to loiter around the boat, causing Callahan to have troubles sleeping one night while he is already thirst and depressed?
(a) A friendly dolphin.
(b) A freighter.
(c) A loud storm.
(d) A shark.
15. What is suddenly mixed in with the water Callahan has been trying to collect in the canopy?
(a) A dusty powder.
(b) Orange particles.
(c) Green clouds.
(d) Oily black liquid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Callahan decide to use in order to fix up the hole that continues to blow out in his boat?
2. Callahan decides that mankind is his ____________ and that he wants to live, even though he is in a terrible position.
3. What Callahan did not know is that the Coast Guard did not list the Napoleon Solo as __________ since another ship was found.
4. What does Callahan believe to be possible about the warmer climes he is now encountering on his trip?
5. Why does Callahan turn on his beacon after drinking some of the tainted water? What does he think he hears?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)