|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Callahan finds a strange mass in the ocean, he dines on the small __________ and shrimp which are located there.
2. Callahan answers a number of questions of the __________ consul before finally getting some rest in the hospital.
3. When Callahan looks at his sextant, he decides that he is too far __________ in his journey's plans.
4. What does Callahan do with the space blanket? What does he decide to use it for now?
(a) A fishing net.
(b) A pillow.
(c) A solar still.
(d) Water catching.
5. What remained inflated with the new sticky gum fix that Callahan comes up with during his ill state?
(a) The lower tube.
(b) The inner tube.
(c) The upper tube.
(d) Solar still.
6. What does Callahan come across as he is sailing around on April 6th on the ocean?
(a) A stretch of trash and pollution.
(b) A ship.
(c) A deserted island.
(d) A sand bar.
7. What does a fish bite into, causing water to drain back out to sea, according to the observations of Callahan?
(a) The bottom of the boat.
(b) The outer tube.
(c) The inner tube.
(d) Distillation bag.
8. What does Callahan first hear as he prepares to make a difficult landing against the shore?
(b) Coast Guard.
(c) A man's voice.
(d) A bell.
9. What isn't tight enough to keep the boat from losing air after the damage was done by the fish?
(a) The sewing.
(b) The seal.
(c) The tape.
(d) The seams.
10. By April 16th, Callahan is beginning to doubt his __________ as his morale and his outlook begin to spiral downward.
(d) Food supply.
11. Few people are hopeful that Callahan is alive back home, causing many to _______________.
(a) Sail to find him.
(b) Look harder.
(c) Tell the Coast Guard he is dead.
(d) Give up the search.
12. What does Callahan improvise with a length of tubing, a part of the blanket, and some twine?
(a) A signalling device.
(b) A funnel.
(c) A tent.
(d) A basket.
13. Which of the tubes in the life raft begins to deflate as a result of the fish's actions on the side of the boat?
14. What does Callahan decide to use as a tip for his spear in order to fix the spear he has had for the duration of the trip?
(c) Butter knife.
(d) A pocket knife.
15. What has become a frozen lump of rust, not very effective for signalling to passing ships?
(a) Callahan himself.
(b) The space blanket.
(c) His flare gun.
(d) The Harpoon gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Callahan use from the radar reflector in order to help make a rain collector?
2. What does Callahan drape on the top of his boat in order to help it dry out and to keep the canopy area cool?
3. Callahan's need for __________ completely contradicts his need for food, water, and shelter.
4. The drying stores of meat in the boat sag down to the floor, causing them to turn rancid because of the _____________.
5. Callahan's family has learned of his rescue through a chain of _____________ contacts.
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)