|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Callahan use in order to try to fix the breach in the life raft as caused by the fish?
(d) A shoe.
2. What has atrophied so severely that Callahan is unable to keep himself upright?
3. Callahan is overcome with emotion as the reality of his ____________ finally sinks in when he touches land.
4. What does Callahan believe to be possible about the warmer climes he is now encountering on his trip?
(a) He might be near the Equator.
(b) Land may be close.
(c) He might be heading back home.
(d) He may be veering off course.
5. What isn't tight enough to keep the boat from losing air after the damage was done by the fish?
(a) The seams.
(b) The seal.
(c) The sewing.
(d) The tape.
6. What does Callahan fear what he will land against when he is finally at the shoreline and near land?
(a) Other boats.
(b) Deadly fish.
(d) Coral reef.
7. Why do Callahan's legs continue to swell up when he walks, though he has been told to rest more?
(a) Not drinking enough water.
(b) High sodium content.
(c) The sun.
(d) Lack of muscle.
8. Callahan decides that mankind is his ____________ and that he wants to live, even though he is in a terrible position.
9. Callahan actually begins to feel saddened by the loss of another ____________ when he kills and eats the fish.
(b) Sea creature.
10. What jumps into Callahan's raft and he tries to use it for bait, though it is unsuccessful?
(b) Flying fish.
(c) Puffer fish.
11. What does Callahan improvise with a length of tubing, a part of the blanket, and some twine?
(a) A funnel.
(b) A tent.
(c) A signalling device.
(d) A basket.
12. When Callahan finds a strange mass in the ocean, he dines on the small __________ and shrimp which are located there.
13. What does Callahan lose as the raft begins to swirl around in a circle as he is attempting to navigate?
(a) Precious time.
(b) His sextant.
(c) The solar still.
(d) The map.
14. Why does Callahan turn on his beacon after drinking some of the tainted water? What does he think he hears?
(a) A man shouting.
(b) A jet overhead.
(c) A ship.
(d) A helicopter.
15. Few people are hopeful that Callahan is alive back home, causing many to _______________.
(a) Look harder.
(b) Sail to find him.
(c) Give up the search.
(d) Tell the Coast Guard he is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Callahan use in order to create a makeshift sextant in order to plot his course?
2. What remained inflated with the new sticky gum fix that Callahan comes up with during his ill state?
3. What does Callahan lay down in order to protect his raft from further damage as he is fishing for food?
4. Later, Callahan accidentally punches a hole in the ___________ of the boat, although he fixes it quickly.
5. What was the name of Callahan's ex-wife, who he remembers on what would have been another wedding anniversary?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)