|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the man who offers to let Callahan stay in his hotel while he rests and decides what to do next?
2. What does Callahan use in order to create a makeshift sextant in order to plot his course?
(d) Rubber bands.
3. What does Callahan decide to do when anticipates a trial filled landfall in a few hours?
(a) Plot his course.
(c) Get some sleep.
(d) Turn on the EPIRB.
4. On what island does Callahan realize he has come to as he meets the fishermen in the boat?
5. What does Callahan lay down in order to protect his raft from further damage as he is fishing for food?
(a) A tarp.
(b) His sleeping bag.
(d) The canopy top.
6. Which of the tubes in the life raft begins to deflate as a result of the fish's actions on the side of the boat?
7. What does Callahan decide to use as a tip for his spear in order to fix the spear he has had for the duration of the trip?
(a) Butter knife.
(d) A pocket knife.
8. While Callahan was once a fiercely independent man, he now understands man to be a _________ animal.
9. Callahan wonders how close he is to the _____________ as he works to keep the lower tube of the raft inflated.
(a) Shipping lane.
(d) Continental shelf.
10. What is Callahan careful not to mistake a static cloud for in the distance as he is sailing out in the sea?
(a) A fish.
(b) A bag of trash.
(c) A person.
(d) A mountain range.
11. What is suddenly mixed in with the water Callahan has been trying to collect in the canopy?
(a) A dusty powder.
(b) Orange particles.
(c) Oily black liquid.
(d) Green clouds.
12. Later, Callahan accidentally punches a hole in the ___________ of the boat, although he fixes it quickly.
13. Callahan scans the horizon for __________ while being haunted by thoughts of food and drink.
14. What still requires constant attention in order to function properly and to help Callahan survive?
(a) Solar still.
(b) His fishing spear.
(c) His EPIRB.
(d) The inner tube.
15. Why does Callahan turn on his beacon after drinking some of the tainted water? What does he think he hears?
(a) A man shouting.
(b) A ship.
(c) A helicopter.
(d) A jet overhead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Callahan decides it is his __________ which allows him to survive in the boat and in the world.
2. What does Callahan come across as he is sailing around on April 6th on the ocean?
3. What helps to restore the good spirits and the energy to Callahan after a few days of suffering?
4. From what besides the radar reflector does Callahan take the remnants in order to help make a crude rain collector?
5. What does Callahan catch when he tries to do some line fishing on the boat in order to catch food in a new way?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)