|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the knives has snapped off the end of the spearhead, leaving Callahan with a less than effective instrument?
(a) Butter knife.
(b) Leather knife.
(c) None of the knives has snapped off.
(d) Both knives.
2. What is the source of the flash that Callahan sees when he wakes up in the middle of the night on April 20th?
(a) An airplane.
(b) Flare gun.
(c) A bomb.
3. What remained inflated with the new sticky gum fix that Callahan comes up with during his ill state?
(a) The inner tube.
(b) Solar still.
(c) The lower tube.
(d) The upper tube.
4. Callahan thinks the only hope for him lies in finding the ____________ and getting rescued there.
(a) Coast Guard station.
(c) West Indies.
(d) Florida Keys.
5. Why is it too difficult to fish at this point of the journey, according to Callahan?
(a) The spear isn't working.
(b) The fish are gone.
(c) The seas are rough.
(d) The nets are broken.
6. Callahan actually begins to feel saddened by the loss of another ____________ when he kills and eats the fish.
(d) Sea creature.
7. Callahan decides it is his __________ which allows him to survive in the boat and in the world.
8. Callahan uses loops of ___________ to help fix the speargun that he has cracked over time and with repeated use.
9. The drying stores of meat in the boat sag down to the floor, causing them to turn rancid because of the _____________.
10. What is polluting the water which is being captured in the solar still, according to Callahan's observations?
(a) Bird excrement.
(d) Bird feathers.
11. When Callahan wakes up on March 19, he is still mourning the loss of the _____________ from the day before.
(c) Solar still.
12. Since he is thirsty enough, Callahan decides to drink water from the ____________, although it makes him sick.
(a) Coffee can.
(d) Bottom of the boat.
13. Why do Callahan's legs continue to swell up when he walks, though he has been told to rest more?
(a) Not drinking enough water.
(b) The sun.
(c) High sodium content.
(d) Lack of muscle.
14. What does Callahan lay down in order to protect his raft from further damage as he is fishing for food?
(a) His sleeping bag.
(b) The canopy top.
(d) A tarp.
15. Who comes to the island in order to give Callahan a new wardrobe to wear after his journey?
(a) His ex-wife.
(b) His family.
(c) A movie director.
(d) The American media.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what besides the radar reflector does Callahan take the remnants in order to help make a crude rain collector?
2. What does Callahan improvise with a length of tubing, a part of the blanket, and some twine?
3. When the final solar still finally breaks, Callahan only has _______ and dorado for sustenance as well as his emergency water supply.
4. What does Callahan use from the radar reflector in order to help make a rain collector?
5. Callahan realizes too that he is beginning to be unable to taste the _________ in the water.
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)