|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Callahan lose as the raft begins to swirl around in a circle as he is attempting to navigate?
(a) The solar still.
(b) His sextant.
(c) The map.
(d) Precious time.
2. When the final solar still finally breaks, Callahan only has _______ and dorado for sustenance as well as his emergency water supply.
(d) Energy bars.
3. The drying stores of meat in the boat sag down to the floor, causing them to turn rancid because of the _____________.
4. Maria Galante is the smallest ___________ is the chain and that is where Callahan is finally taken.
5. Callahan thinks the only hope for him lies in finding the ____________ and getting rescued there.
(a) Coast Guard station.
(b) West Indies.
(c) Florida Keys.
6. How often does Callahan need to pump air into the the lower tube of the raft since the fix didn't work?
(a) He doesn't.
(b) Every single minute.
(c) Every 30 minutes.
(d) Every 10 minutes.
7. Callahan estimates that he is eighteen days from ___________ so he rations out his food in order to make it the duration of the trip.
8. Callahan scans the horizon for __________ while being haunted by thoughts of food and drink.
9. Why is it too difficult to fish at this point of the journey, according to Callahan?
(a) The spear isn't working.
(b) The fish are gone.
(c) The nets are broken.
(d) The seas are rough.
10. Callahan watches from a distance as __________ bring fresh water to the ocean, although he can not get to it.
11. What does Callahan use from the radar reflector in order to help make a rain collector?
(b) The plastic cup.
(c) Aluminum tubing.
(d) The rope.
12. What does Callahan lay down in order to protect his raft from further damage as he is fishing for food?
(a) A tarp.
(b) His sleeping bag.
(c) The canopy top.
13. What Callahan did not know is that the Coast Guard did not list the Napoleon Solo as __________ since another ship was found.
14. Who corrects the issue with the Napoleon Solo's mistaken label which allows the search to continue?
(a) The Coast Guard.
(b) A journalist.
(c) Callahan's ex-wife.
(d) Callahan's family.
15. What does Callahan come across as he is sailing around on April 6th on the ocean?
(a) A ship.
(b) A sand bar.
(c) A stretch of trash and pollution.
(d) A deserted island.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Callahan looks at his sextant, he decides that he is too far __________ in his journey's plans.
2. At dinner, Callahan eats a large amount of ____________ food, surprising everyone with the appetite he has.
3. From what besides the radar reflector does Callahan take the remnants in order to help make a crude rain collector?
4. While Callahan was once a fiercely independent man, he now understands man to be a _________ animal.
5. What helps to restore the good spirits and the energy to Callahan after a few days of suffering?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)