|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Callahan's need for __________ completely contradicts his need for food, water, and shelter.
2. Callahan's attention begins to be split between the _________ and the horizon as his situation grows ever more desperate.
3. Who comes to the island in order to give Callahan a new wardrobe to wear after his journey?
(a) His ex-wife.
(b) The American media.
(c) His family.
(d) A movie director.
4. What does a fish bite into, causing water to drain back out to sea, according to the observations of Callahan?
(a) The inner tube.
(b) Distillation bag.
(c) The outer tube.
(d) The bottom of the boat.
5. Once the temperatures have turned warm, Callahan has no more fears of ___________ taking hold at night.
(b) Bad dreams.
6. From what besides the radar reflector does Callahan take the remnants in order to help make a crude rain collector?
(a) The emergency kit.
(b) His book.
(c) His clothing.
(d) The solar still.
7. What does Callahan decide to do when anticipates a trial filled landfall in a few hours?
(a) Get some sleep.
(b) Turn on the EPIRB.
(d) Plot his course.
8. By April 16th, Callahan is beginning to doubt his __________ as his morale and his outlook begin to spiral downward.
(c) Food supply.
9. Callahan realizes too that he is beginning to be unable to taste the _________ in the water.
10. Why does Callahan turn on his beacon after drinking some of the tainted water? What does he think he hears?
(a) A helicopter.
(b) A man shouting.
(c) A ship.
(d) A jet overhead.
11. At dinner, Callahan eats a large amount of ____________ food, surprising everyone with the appetite he has.
12. What still requires constant attention in order to function properly and to help Callahan survive?
(a) His EPIRB.
(b) His fishing spear.
(c) Solar still.
(d) The inner tube.
13. How does Callahan continue to work at night, even though the darkness prevents him from seeing what he is doing?
(a) He doesn't work at night.
(c) A flashlight on his head.
(d) Superior night vision.
14. Callahan actually begins to feel saddened by the loss of another ____________ when he kills and eats the fish.
(d) Sea creature.
15. Since he is thirsty enough, Callahan decides to drink water from the ____________, although it makes him sick.
(b) Bottom of the boat.
(d) Coffee can.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Callahan wakes up on March 19, he is still mourning the loss of the _____________ from the day before.
2. What is the new color that Callahan can now see when he is looking out onto the horizon?
3. Callahan is overcome with emotion as the reality of his ____________ finally sinks in when he touches land.
4. What does Callahan use in order to create a makeshift sextant in order to plot his course?
5. The __________ keeps slumping over, causing Callahan to have to blow it up every ten or fifteen minutes.
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)