|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Callahan watches from a distance as __________ bring fresh water to the ocean, although he can not get to it.
2. Callahan decides that the ______________ is the best way for him to catch fish on the boat, despite other method attempts.
(c) Spear gun.
3. What does Callahan catch, despite his weakness from the vomiting after drinking the water?
4. Callahan decides that mankind is his ____________ and that he wants to live, even though he is in a terrible position.
5. Unbeknownst to Callahan, __________ has been trying to rescue him, but has been facing an uncooperative Coast Guard.
(a) His family.
(b) His wife.
(c) The military.
(d) The President.
6. What Callahan did not know is that the Coast Guard did not list the Napoleon Solo as __________ since another ship was found.
7. Where does Callahan want to go in order to get his mail before he flies back to Maine?
8. From what besides the radar reflector does Callahan take the remnants in order to help make a crude rain collector?
(a) The emergency kit.
(b) His book.
(c) His clothing.
(d) The solar still.
9. What is Callahan careful not to mistake a static cloud for in the distance as he is sailing out in the sea?
(a) A person.
(b) A bag of trash.
(c) A mountain range.
(d) A fish.
10. How often does Callahan need to pump air into the the lower tube of the raft since the fix didn't work?
(a) Every 30 minutes.
(b) Every single minute.
(c) Every 10 minutes.
(d) He doesn't.
11. Why do Callahan's legs continue to swell up when he walks, though he has been told to rest more?
(a) High sodium content.
(b) The sun.
(c) Not drinking enough water.
(d) Lack of muscle.
12. Callahan decides it is his __________ which allows him to survive in the boat and in the world.
13. What is the new color that Callahan can now see when he is looking out onto the horizon?
14. Who comes to the island in order to give Callahan a new wardrobe to wear after his journey?
(a) The American media.
(b) A movie director.
(c) His ex-wife.
(d) His family.
15. What is suddenly mixed in with the water Callahan has been trying to collect in the canopy?
(a) Oily black liquid.
(b) Green clouds.
(c) A dusty powder.
(d) Orange particles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it too difficult to fish at this point of the journey, according to Callahan?
2. What is the destination that Callahan aims for since he does not want to end up having to sail for 30 more days?
3. What is the name of the man who offers to let Callahan stay in his hotel while he rests and decides what to do next?
4. What does Callahan believe to be possible about the warmer climes he is now encountering on his trip?
5. Callahan estimates that he is eighteen days from ___________ so he rations out his food in order to make it the duration of the trip.
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)