|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Callahan do with the space blanket? What does he decide to use it for now?
(a) Water catching.
(b) A pillow.
(c) A solar still.
(d) A fishing net.
2. How often does Callahan need to pump air into the the lower tube of the raft since the fix didn't work?
(a) He doesn't.
(b) Every 30 minutes.
(c) Every single minute.
(d) Every 10 minutes.
3. Unbeknownst to Callahan, __________ has been trying to rescue him, but has been facing an uncooperative Coast Guard.
(a) His family.
(b) The President.
(c) The military.
(d) His wife.
4. What isn't tight enough to keep the boat from losing air after the damage was done by the fish?
(a) The sewing.
(b) The tape.
(c) The seal.
(d) The seams.
5. What still requires constant attention in order to function properly and to help Callahan survive?
(a) His EPIRB.
(b) The inner tube.
(c) His fishing spear.
(d) Solar still.
6. When Callahan finds a strange mass in the ocean, he dines on the small __________ and shrimp which are located there.
7. What does Callahan come across as he is sailing around on April 6th on the ocean?
(a) A ship.
(b) A stretch of trash and pollution.
(c) A deserted island.
(d) A sand bar.
8. What is the name of the man who offers to let Callahan stay in his hotel while he rests and decides what to do next?
9. What does a fish bite into, causing water to drain back out to sea, according to the observations of Callahan?
(a) The outer tube.
(b) The inner tube.
(c) Distillation bag.
(d) The bottom of the boat.
10. What is polluting the water which is being captured in the solar still, according to Callahan's observations?
(a) Bird excrement.
(d) Bird feathers.
11. What does Callahan catch when he tries to do some line fishing on the boat in order to catch food in a new way?
(c) Puffer fish.
12. Where does Callahan want to go in order to get his mail before he flies back to Maine?
13. Callahan's need for __________ completely contradicts his need for food, water, and shelter.
14. What is Callahan sitting in for days since the boat continues to have problems with taking on water?
(b) Salt water.
(d) Debris from the ocean.
15. Callahan begins to note the new _____________ in his new vicinity and location, which makes him curious as to where he is.
(d) Weather patterns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What helps to restore the good spirits and the energy to Callahan after a few days of suffering?
2. Callahan is overcome with emotion as the reality of his ____________ finally sinks in when he touches land.
3. What was the name of Callahan's ex-wife, who he remembers on what would have been another wedding anniversary?
4. What does Callahan use in order to create a makeshift sextant in order to plot his course?
5. What does Callahan catch, despite his weakness from the vomiting after drinking the water?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)