|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Callahan fear what he will land against when he is finally at the shoreline and near land?
(a) Deadly fish.
(c) Other boats.
(d) Coral reef.
2. What does Callahan come across as he is sailing around on April 6th on the ocean?
(a) A stretch of trash and pollution.
(b) A deserted island.
(c) A sand bar.
(d) A ship.
3. While Callahan was once a fiercely independent man, he now understands man to be a _________ animal.
4. From what besides the radar reflector does Callahan take the remnants in order to help make a crude rain collector?
(a) The emergency kit.
(b) His clothing.
(c) His book.
(d) The solar still.
5. At dinner, Callahan eats a large amount of ____________ food, surprising everyone with the appetite he has.
6. Callahan even creates a contraption which might collect drinking water from the ______________.
(a) The tarp.
(b) Fish's insides.
(c) The wet sleeping bag.
(d) Misty air.
7. Why is it too difficult to fish at this point of the journey, according to Callahan?
(a) The spear isn't working.
(b) The nets are broken.
(c) The fish are gone.
(d) The seas are rough.
8. Callahan sees the tragic waste of life and the tragic waste of food as ______________ for the day and the trip.
(a) A bad omen.
9. What does Callahan drape on the top of his boat in order to help it dry out and to keep the canopy area cool?
(a) His shirt.
(c) A coat.
(d) Sleeping bag.
10. What is Callahan sitting in for days since the boat continues to have problems with taking on water?
(a) Salt water.
(b) Debris from the ocean.
11. Who comes to the island in order to give Callahan a new wardrobe to wear after his journey?
(a) His family.
(b) The American media.
(c) A movie director.
(d) His ex-wife.
12. Callahan decides that the ______________ is the best way for him to catch fish on the boat, despite other method attempts.
(a) Spear gun.
13. What is the source of the flash that Callahan sees when he wakes up in the middle of the night on April 20th?
(a) Flare gun.
(c) A bomb.
(d) An airplane.
14. What does Callahan do with the space blanket? What does he decide to use it for now?
(a) A pillow.
(b) A fishing net.
(c) A solar still.
(d) Water catching.
15. Callahan's attention begins to be split between the _________ and the horizon as his situation grows ever more desperate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What still requires constant attention in order to function properly and to help Callahan survive?
2. What helps to restore the good spirits and the energy to Callahan after a few days of suffering?
3. What does Callahan decide to use as a tip for his spear in order to fix the spear he has had for the duration of the trip?
4. When Callahan looks at his sextant, he decides that he is too far __________ in his journey's plans.
5. How does Callahan continue to work at night, even though the darkness prevents him from seeing what he is doing?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)