|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What isn't tight enough to keep the boat from losing air after the damage was done by the fish?
(a) The sewing.
(b) The seams.
(c) The seal.
(d) The tape.
2. What does Callahan first hear as he prepares to make a difficult landing against the shore?
(b) Coast Guard.
(c) A man's voice.
(d) A bell.
3. Callahan's attention begins to be split between the _________ and the horizon as his situation grows ever more desperate.
4. Callahan believes that the water traffic will begin to pick up once he gets on the belt between Brazil and __________.
(d) The Andes.
5. What is Callahan sitting in for days since the boat continues to have problems with taking on water?
(b) Salt water.
(c) Debris from the ocean.
6. Callahan realizes that his ___________ is fragile at his point of the trip but he banishes the doubt from his mind.
(b) Emotional state.
7. Since he is thirsty enough, Callahan decides to drink water from the ____________, although it makes him sick.
(b) Bottom of the boat.
(c) Coffee can.
8. Once the temperatures have turned warm, Callahan has no more fears of ___________ taking hold at night.
(a) Bad dreams.
9. How many fish is Callahan able to catch, even though he is exhausted by his efforts, though his catch revives him?
10. Which of the tubes in the life raft begins to deflate as a result of the fish's actions on the side of the boat?
11. Callahan's family has learned of his rescue through a chain of _____________ contacts.
(c) Coast Guard.
(d) CB radio.
12. Later, Callahan accidentally punches a hole in the ___________ of the boat, although he fixes it quickly.
13. What does Callahan decide to do when anticipates a trial filled landfall in a few hours?
(a) Plot his course.
(b) Turn on the EPIRB.
(c) Get some sleep.
14. On what island does Callahan realize he has come to as he meets the fishermen in the boat?
15. What does Callahan realize he might need to do in order to hydrate himself if he can not get fresh water?
(a) Soak in the ocean.
(b) Drink his reserves.
(c) Swim to shore.
(d) A saltwater enema.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Callahan looks at his sextant, he decides that he is too far __________ in his journey's plans.
2. Callahan is overcome with emotion as the reality of his ____________ finally sinks in when he touches land.
3. By April 16th, Callahan is beginning to doubt his __________ as his morale and his outlook begin to spiral downward.
4. Where does Callahan want to go in order to get his mail before he flies back to Maine?
5. Why do Callahan's legs continue to swell up when he walks, though he has been told to rest more?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)