|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Callahan believe to be possible about the warmer climes he is now encountering on his trip?
(a) He might be heading back home.
(b) He may be veering off course.
(c) He might be near the Equator.
(d) Land may be close.
2. At dinner, Callahan eats a large amount of ____________ food, surprising everyone with the appetite he has.
3. Who corrects the issue with the Napoleon Solo's mistaken label which allows the search to continue?
(a) The Coast Guard.
(b) Callahan's family.
(c) A journalist.
(d) Callahan's ex-wife.
4. What does Callahan catch, despite his weakness from the vomiting after drinking the water?
5. When Callahan looks at his sextant, he decides that he is too far __________ in his journey's plans.
6. Callahan answers a number of questions of the __________ consul before finally getting some rest in the hospital.
7. What does Callahan lay down in order to protect his raft from further damage as he is fishing for food?
(a) His sleeping bag.
(c) A tarp.
(d) The canopy top.
8. Callahan's need for __________ completely contradicts his need for food, water, and shelter.
9. What is the destination that Callahan aims for since he does not want to end up having to sail for 30 more days?
(d) West Indies.
10. On what island does Callahan realize he has come to as he meets the fishermen in the boat?
11. When the final solar still finally breaks, Callahan only has _______ and dorado for sustenance as well as his emergency water supply.
(c) Energy bars.
12. Callahan tries to force himself to think ___________ in order to come up with a solution for the leak in his boat.
13. What isn't tight enough to keep the boat from losing air after the damage was done by the fish?
(a) The tape.
(b) The seal.
(c) The seams.
(d) The sewing.
14. The drying stores of meat in the boat sag down to the floor, causing them to turn rancid because of the _____________.
15. What remained inflated with the new sticky gum fix that Callahan comes up with during his ill state?
(a) The lower tube.
(b) The inner tube.
(c) The upper tube.
(d) Solar still.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Callahan wakes up on March 19, he is still mourning the loss of the _____________ from the day before.
2. Callahan decides it is his __________ which allows him to survive in the boat and in the world.
3. What color is the light by which Callahan eats when he successfully traps another dorado fish?
4. Later, Callahan accidentally punches a hole in the ___________ of the boat, although he fixes it quickly.
5. What does a fish bite into, causing water to drain back out to sea, according to the observations of Callahan?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)