|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Callahan sees the tragic waste of life and the tragic waste of food as ______________ for the day and the trip.
(d) A bad omen.
2. Callahan decides that the ______________ is the best way for him to catch fish on the boat, despite other method attempts.
(b) Spear gun.
3. Callahan realizes that his ___________ is fragile at his point of the trip but he banishes the doubt from his mind.
(a) Emotional state.
4. Callahan tries to force himself to think ___________ in order to come up with a solution for the leak in his boat.
5. What does Callahan use in order to create a makeshift sextant in order to plot his course?
(b) Rubber bands.
6. Callahan believes that the water traffic will begin to pick up once he gets on the belt between Brazil and __________.
(a) The Andes.
7. Why is it too difficult to fish at this point of the journey, according to Callahan?
(a) The seas are rough.
(b) The nets are broken.
(c) The fish are gone.
(d) The spear isn't working.
8. Callahan is overcome with emotion as the reality of his ____________ finally sinks in when he touches land.
9. What does Callahan believe to be possible about the warmer climes he is now encountering on his trip?
(a) He might be near the Equator.
(b) Land may be close.
(c) He might be heading back home.
(d) He may be veering off course.
10. The fishermen decide to through their hooks into the water and catch most of the ____________ of Callahan.
11. What does Callahan decide to use in order to fix up the hole that continues to blow out in his boat?
(d) His finger.
12. What was the name of Callahan's ex-wife, who he remembers on what would have been another wedding anniversary?
13. What remained inflated with the new sticky gum fix that Callahan comes up with during his ill state?
(a) The lower tube.
(b) Solar still.
(c) The inner tube.
(d) The upper tube.
14. How does Callahan continue to work at night, even though the darkness prevents him from seeing what he is doing?
(a) He doesn't work at night.
(b) Superior night vision.
(d) A flashlight on his head.
15. Callahan decides it is his __________ which allows him to survive in the boat and in the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Callahan decides that mankind is his ____________ and that he wants to live, even though he is in a terrible position.
2. What does Callahan use from the radar reflector in order to help make a rain collector?
3. Maria Galante is the smallest ___________ is the chain and that is where Callahan is finally taken.
4. Unbeknownst to Callahan, __________ has been trying to rescue him, but has been facing an uncooperative Coast Guard.
5. What does Callahan lose as the raft begins to swirl around in a circle as he is attempting to navigate?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)