|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Callahan believe to be possible about the warmer climes he is now encountering on his trip?
(a) Land may be close.
(b) He might be near the Equator.
(c) He may be veering off course.
(d) He might be heading back home.
2. What does Callahan use from the radar reflector in order to help make a rain collector?
(a) The rope.
(b) The plastic cup.
(d) Aluminum tubing.
3. Callahan even creates a contraption which might collect drinking water from the ______________.
(a) Misty air.
(b) The wet sleeping bag.
(c) The tarp.
(d) Fish's insides.
4. How many fish is Callahan able to catch, even though he is exhausted by his efforts, though his catch revives him?
5. What still requires constant attention in order to function properly and to help Callahan survive?
(a) His fishing spear.
(b) The inner tube.
(c) Solar still.
(d) His EPIRB.
6. Where does Callahan want to go in order to get his mail before he flies back to Maine?
7. What color is the light by which Callahan eats when he successfully traps another dorado fish?
8. Callahan believes that the water traffic will begin to pick up once he gets on the belt between Brazil and __________.
(a) The Andes.
9. What does Callahan do with the space blanket? What does he decide to use it for now?
(a) A pillow.
(b) Water catching.
(c) A solar still.
(d) A fishing net.
10. What is the source of the flash that Callahan sees when he wakes up in the middle of the night on April 20th?
(b) Flare gun.
(c) A bomb.
(d) An airplane.
11. What decides to loiter around the boat, causing Callahan to have troubles sleeping one night while he is already thirst and depressed?
(a) A freighter.
(b) A loud storm.
(c) A shark.
(d) A friendly dolphin.
12. What is the name of the man who offers to let Callahan stay in his hotel while he rests and decides what to do next?
13. How often does Callahan need to pump air into the the lower tube of the raft since the fix didn't work?
(a) Every 10 minutes.
(b) He doesn't.
(c) Every single minute.
(d) Every 30 minutes.
14. What is the destination that Callahan aims for since he does not want to end up having to sail for 30 more days?
(b) West Indies.
15. What is suddenly mixed in with the water Callahan has been trying to collect in the canopy?
(a) A dusty powder.
(b) Oily black liquid.
(c) Orange particles.
(d) Green clouds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Callahan begins to note the new _____________ in his new vicinity and location, which makes him curious as to where he is.
2. When Callahan looks at his sextant, he decides that he is too far __________ in his journey's plans.
3. Callahan sees the tragic waste of life and the tragic waste of food as ______________ for the day and the trip.
4. What isn't tight enough to keep the boat from losing air after the damage was done by the fish?
5. Maria Galante is the smallest ___________ is the chain and that is where Callahan is finally taken.
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)