|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Callahan continue to work at night, even though the darkness prevents him from seeing what he is doing?
(a) He doesn't work at night.
(b) Superior night vision.
(d) A flashlight on his head.
2. The drying stores of meat in the boat sag down to the floor, causing them to turn rancid because of the _____________.
3. What does Callahan first hear as he prepares to make a difficult landing against the shore?
(a) Coast Guard.
(c) A man's voice.
(d) A bell.
4. What does Callahan lay down in order to protect his raft from further damage as he is fishing for food?
(a) His sleeping bag.
(b) A tarp.
(c) The canopy top.
5. When Callahan finds a strange mass in the ocean, he dines on the small __________ and shrimp which are located there.
6. What does Callahan lose as the raft begins to swirl around in a circle as he is attempting to navigate?
(a) The solar still.
(b) The map.
(c) His sextant.
(d) Precious time.
7. How many fish is Callahan able to catch, even though he is exhausted by his efforts, though his catch revives him?
8. Callahan decides it is his __________ which allows him to survive in the boat and in the world.
9. What does Callahan believe to be possible about the warmer climes he is now encountering on his trip?
(a) Land may be close.
(b) He might be heading back home.
(c) He may be veering off course.
(d) He might be near the Equator.
10. Callahan believes that the water traffic will begin to pick up once he gets on the belt between Brazil and __________.
(d) The Andes.
11. What is the destination that Callahan aims for since he does not want to end up having to sail for 30 more days?
(b) West Indies.
12. At dinner, Callahan eats a large amount of ____________ food, surprising everyone with the appetite he has.
13. What does Callahan improvise with a length of tubing, a part of the blanket, and some twine?
(a) A funnel.
(b) A signalling device.
(c) A basket.
(d) A tent.
14. On what island does Callahan realize he has come to as he meets the fishermen in the boat?
15. What does Callahan fear what he will land against when he is finally at the shoreline and near land?
(a) Other boats.
(b) Deadly fish.
(c) Coral reef.
Short Answer Questions
1. Callahan is overcome with emotion as the reality of his ____________ finally sinks in when he touches land.
2. What is Callahan careful not to mistake a static cloud for in the distance as he is sailing out in the sea?
3. Callahan tries to force himself to think ___________ in order to come up with a solution for the leak in his boat.
4. Who comes to the island in order to give Callahan a new wardrobe to wear after his journey?
5. Callahan estimates that he is eighteen days from ___________ so he rations out his food in order to make it the duration of the trip.
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)