|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Few people are hopeful that Callahan is alive back home, causing many to _______________.
(a) Tell the Coast Guard he is dead.
(b) Look harder.
(c) Sail to find him.
(d) Give up the search.
2. What does Callahan use in order to try to fix the breach in the life raft as caused by the fish?
(d) A shoe.
3. What isn't tight enough to keep the boat from losing air after the damage was done by the fish?
(a) The seams.
(b) The tape.
(c) The seal.
(d) The sewing.
4. How does Callahan continue to work at night, even though the darkness prevents him from seeing what he is doing?
(a) Superior night vision.
(c) A flashlight on his head.
(d) He doesn't work at night.
5. Callahan's attention begins to be split between the _________ and the horizon as his situation grows ever more desperate.
6. Callahan thinks the only hope for him lies in finding the ____________ and getting rescued there.
(b) Florida Keys.
(c) West Indies.
(d) Coast Guard station.
7. What still requires constant attention in order to function properly and to help Callahan survive?
(a) His fishing spear.
(b) His EPIRB.
(c) The inner tube.
(d) Solar still.
8. When Callahan wakes up on March 19, he is still mourning the loss of the _____________ from the day before.
(b) Solar still.
9. When Callahan looks at his sextant, he decides that he is too far __________ in his journey's plans.
10. What has become a frozen lump of rust, not very effective for signalling to passing ships?
(a) The Harpoon gun.
(b) Callahan himself.
(c) His flare gun.
(d) The space blanket.
11. Who corrects the issue with the Napoleon Solo's mistaken label which allows the search to continue?
(a) Callahan's ex-wife.
(b) A journalist.
(c) The Coast Guard.
(d) Callahan's family.
12. What is Callahan sitting in for days since the boat continues to have problems with taking on water?
(a) Salt water.
(d) Debris from the ocean.
13. Callahan answers a number of questions of the __________ consul before finally getting some rest in the hospital.
14. What is the destination that Callahan aims for since he does not want to end up having to sail for 30 more days?
(a) West Indies.
15. What does Callahan realize he might need to do in order to hydrate himself if he can not get fresh water?
(a) Drink his reserves.
(b) Soak in the ocean.
(c) Swim to shore.
(d) A saltwater enema.
Short Answer Questions
1. What jumps into Callahan's raft and he tries to use it for bait, though it is unsuccessful?
2. What is suddenly mixed in with the water Callahan has been trying to collect in the canopy?
3. Who comes to the island in order to give Callahan a new wardrobe to wear after his journey?
4. Callahan believes that the water traffic will begin to pick up once he gets on the belt between Brazil and __________.
5. From what besides the radar reflector does Callahan take the remnants in order to help make a crude rain collector?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)