|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Callahan sees the tragic waste of life and the tragic waste of food as ______________ for the day and the trip.
(d) A bad omen.
2. Few people are hopeful that Callahan is alive back home, causing many to _______________.
(a) Tell the Coast Guard he is dead.
(b) Sail to find him.
(c) Give up the search.
(d) Look harder.
3. Callahan decides it is his __________ which allows him to survive in the boat and in the world.
4. Callahan tries to force himself to think ___________ in order to come up with a solution for the leak in his boat.
5. Callahan thinks the only hope for him lies in finding the ____________ and getting rescued there.
(a) Florida Keys.
(b) Coast Guard station.
(c) West Indies.
6. When the final solar still finally breaks, Callahan only has _______ and dorado for sustenance as well as his emergency water supply.
(a) Energy bars.
7. Which of the tubes in the life raft begins to deflate as a result of the fish's actions on the side of the boat?
8. What does Callahan decide to use in order to fix up the hole that continues to blow out in his boat?
(b) His finger.
9. Callahan even creates a contraption which might collect drinking water from the ______________.
(a) The wet sleeping bag.
(b) The tarp.
(c) Misty air.
(d) Fish's insides.
10. Since he is thirsty enough, Callahan decides to drink water from the ____________, although it makes him sick.
(a) Bottom of the boat.
(d) Coffee can.
11. What does Callahan do with the space blanket? What does he decide to use it for now?
(a) A solar still.
(b) A fishing net.
(c) Water catching.
(d) A pillow.
12. Why is it too difficult to fish at this point of the journey, according to Callahan?
(a) The fish are gone.
(b) The seas are rough.
(c) The spear isn't working.
(d) The nets are broken.
13. Maria Galante is the smallest ___________ is the chain and that is where Callahan is finally taken.
14. The fishermen decide to through their hooks into the water and catch most of the ____________ of Callahan.
15. What is Callahan careful not to mistake a static cloud for in the distance as he is sailing out in the sea?
(a) A mountain range.
(b) A fish.
(c) A person.
(d) A bag of trash.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Callahan believe to be possible about the warmer climes he is now encountering on his trip?
2. What decides to loiter around the boat, causing Callahan to have troubles sleeping one night while he is already thirst and depressed?
3. What has become a frozen lump of rust, not very effective for signalling to passing ships?
4. What does a fish bite into, causing water to drain back out to sea, according to the observations of Callahan?
5. When Callahan looks at his sextant, he decides that he is too far __________ in his journey's plans.
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)