|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what besides the radar reflector does Callahan take the remnants in order to help make a crude rain collector?
(a) The solar still.
(b) The emergency kit.
(c) His clothing.
(d) His book.
2. Callahan wonders how close he is to the _____________ as he works to keep the lower tube of the raft inflated.
(b) Shipping lane.
(c) Continental shelf.
3. What does Callahan decide to do when anticipates a trial filled landfall in a few hours?
(b) Turn on the EPIRB.
(c) Plot his course.
(d) Get some sleep.
4. On what island does Callahan realize he has come to as he meets the fishermen in the boat?
5. Once the temperatures have turned warm, Callahan has no more fears of ___________ taking hold at night.
(c) Bad dreams.
6. Callahan sees the tragic waste of life and the tragic waste of food as ______________ for the day and the trip.
(b) A bad omen.
7. What is the destination that Callahan aims for since he does not want to end up having to sail for 30 more days?
(a) West Indies.
8. What does Callahan lose as the raft begins to swirl around in a circle as he is attempting to navigate?
(a) His sextant.
(b) Precious time.
(c) The solar still.
(d) The map.
9. What has become a frozen lump of rust, not very effective for signalling to passing ships?
(a) The Harpoon gun.
(b) Callahan himself.
(c) His flare gun.
(d) The space blanket.
10. What is polluting the water which is being captured in the solar still, according to Callahan's observations?
(c) Bird feathers.
(d) Bird excrement.
11. Callahan decides that mankind is his ____________ and that he wants to live, even though he is in a terrible position.
12. What does Callahan fear what he will land against when he is finally at the shoreline and near land?
(a) Coral reef.
(b) Deadly fish.
(d) Other boats.
13. Callahan answers a number of questions of the __________ consul before finally getting some rest in the hospital.
14. Callahan begins to note the new _____________ in his new vicinity and location, which makes him curious as to where he is.
(c) Weather patterns.
15. What does Callahan catch when he tries to do some line fishing on the boat in order to catch food in a new way?
(b) Puffer fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Callahan first hear as he prepares to make a difficult landing against the shore?
2. Callahan decides that the ______________ is the best way for him to catch fish on the boat, despite other method attempts.
3. Maria Galante is the smallest ___________ is the chain and that is where Callahan is finally taken.
4. What is Callahan sitting in for days since the boat continues to have problems with taking on water?
5. Callahan uses loops of ___________ to help fix the speargun that he has cracked over time and with repeated use.
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)