|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Callahan finds a strange mass in the ocean, he dines on the small __________ and shrimp which are located there.
2. Callahan scans the horizon for __________ while being haunted by thoughts of food and drink.
3. How does Callahan continue to work at night, even though the darkness prevents him from seeing what he is doing?
(a) Superior night vision.
(b) He doesn't work at night.
(c) A flashlight on his head.
4. How often does Callahan need to pump air into the the lower tube of the raft since the fix didn't work?
(a) He doesn't.
(b) Every 10 minutes.
(c) Every 30 minutes.
(d) Every single minute.
5. What is Callahan careful not to mistake a static cloud for in the distance as he is sailing out in the sea?
(a) A fish.
(b) A mountain range.
(c) A person.
(d) A bag of trash.
6. What still requires constant attention in order to function properly and to help Callahan survive?
(a) Solar still.
(b) His EPIRB.
(c) The inner tube.
(d) His fishing spear.
7. Callahan sees the tragic waste of life and the tragic waste of food as ______________ for the day and the trip.
(b) A bad omen.
8. When Callahan looks at his sextant, he decides that he is too far __________ in his journey's plans.
9. What was the name of Callahan's ex-wife, who he remembers on what would have been another wedding anniversary?
10. When the final solar still finally breaks, Callahan only has _______ and dorado for sustenance as well as his emergency water supply.
(a) Energy bars.
11. What decides to loiter around the boat, causing Callahan to have troubles sleeping one night while he is already thirst and depressed?
(a) A freighter.
(b) A shark.
(c) A loud storm.
(d) A friendly dolphin.
12. What does Callahan do with the space blanket? What does he decide to use it for now?
(a) A solar still.
(b) A fishing net.
(c) Water catching.
(d) A pillow.
13. Which of the knives has snapped off the end of the spearhead, leaving Callahan with a less than effective instrument?
(a) Butter knife.
(b) None of the knives has snapped off.
(c) Leather knife.
(d) Both knives.
14. Callahan's family has learned of his rescue through a chain of _____________ contacts.
(a) Coast Guard.
(d) CB radio.
15. What color is the light by which Callahan eats when he successfully traps another dorado fish?
Short Answer Questions
1. What Callahan did not know is that the Coast Guard did not list the Napoleon Solo as __________ since another ship was found.
2. Who corrects the issue with the Napoleon Solo's mistaken label which allows the search to continue?
3. Who comes to the island in order to give Callahan a new wardrobe to wear after his journey?
4. Unbeknownst to Callahan, __________ has been trying to rescue him, but has been facing an uncooperative Coast Guard.
5. Callahan tries to force himself to think ___________ in order to come up with a solution for the leak in his boat.
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)