|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By April 16th, Callahan is beginning to doubt his __________ as his morale and his outlook begin to spiral downward.
(c) Food supply.
2. Callahan estimates that he is eighteen days from ___________ so he rations out his food in order to make it the duration of the trip.
3. Callahan's need for __________ completely contradicts his need for food, water, and shelter.
4. Which of the tubes in the life raft begins to deflate as a result of the fish's actions on the side of the boat?
5. What does Callahan believe to be possible about the warmer climes he is now encountering on his trip?
(a) He may be veering off course.
(b) He might be near the Equator.
(c) He might be heading back home.
(d) Land may be close.
6. Maria Galante is the smallest ___________ is the chain and that is where Callahan is finally taken.
7. Unbeknownst to Callahan, __________ has been trying to rescue him, but has been facing an uncooperative Coast Guard.
(a) The President.
(b) His wife.
(c) The military.
(d) His family.
8. Why does Callahan turn on his beacon after drinking some of the tainted water? What does he think he hears?
(a) A man shouting.
(b) A helicopter.
(c) A jet overhead.
(d) A ship.
9. Which of the knives has snapped off the end of the spearhead, leaving Callahan with a less than effective instrument?
(a) None of the knives has snapped off.
(b) Butter knife.
(c) Leather knife.
(d) Both knives.
10. Why do Callahan's legs continue to swell up when he walks, though he has been told to rest more?
(a) Not drinking enough water.
(b) The sun.
(c) High sodium content.
(d) Lack of muscle.
11. How often does Callahan need to pump air into the the lower tube of the raft since the fix didn't work?
(a) Every single minute.
(b) Every 30 minutes.
(c) Every 10 minutes.
(d) He doesn't.
12. Callahan uses loops of ___________ to help fix the speargun that he has cracked over time and with repeated use.
13. The __________ keeps slumping over, causing Callahan to have to blow it up every ten or fifteen minutes.
14. What does Callahan drape on the top of his boat in order to help it dry out and to keep the canopy area cool?
(a) Sleeping bag.
(b) A coat.
(d) His shirt.
15. Callahan tries to force himself to think ___________ in order to come up with a solution for the leak in his boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Callahan realize he might need to do in order to hydrate himself if he can not get fresh water?
2. Callahan realizes too that he is beginning to be unable to taste the _________ in the water.
3. What does Callahan use in order to create a makeshift sextant in order to plot his course?
4. What isn't tight enough to keep the boat from losing air after the damage was done by the fish?
5. What does Callahan lose as the raft begins to swirl around in a circle as he is attempting to navigate?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)