|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Callahan was once a fiercely independent man, he now understands man to be a _________ animal.
2. Maria Galante is the smallest ___________ is the chain and that is where Callahan is finally taken.
3. What does Callahan do with the space blanket? What does he decide to use it for now?
(a) A pillow.
(b) A fishing net.
(c) Water catching.
(d) A solar still.
4. What does Callahan fear what he will land against when he is finally at the shoreline and near land?
(a) Other boats.
(b) Coral reef.
(c) Deadly fish.
5. What does Callahan improvise with a length of tubing, a part of the blanket, and some twine?
(a) A signalling device.
(b) A funnel.
(c) A basket.
(d) A tent.
6. What still requires constant attention in order to function properly and to help Callahan survive?
(a) The inner tube.
(b) His EPIRB.
(c) His fishing spear.
(d) Solar still.
7. What does Callahan believe to be possible about the warmer climes he is now encountering on his trip?
(a) He might be near the Equator.
(b) Land may be close.
(c) He might be heading back home.
(d) He may be veering off course.
8. What does Callahan catch when he tries to do some line fishing on the boat in order to catch food in a new way?
(b) Puffer fish.
9. Later, Callahan accidentally punches a hole in the ___________ of the boat, although he fixes it quickly.
10. Callahan estimates that he is eighteen days from ___________ so he rations out his food in order to make it the duration of the trip.
11. At dinner, Callahan eats a large amount of ____________ food, surprising everyone with the appetite he has.
12. Callahan uses loops of ___________ to help fix the speargun that he has cracked over time and with repeated use.
13. What is the new color that Callahan can now see when he is looking out onto the horizon?
14. What is polluting the water which is being captured in the solar still, according to Callahan's observations?
(a) Bird feathers.
(c) Bird excrement.
15. Callahan decides that the ______________ is the best way for him to catch fish on the boat, despite other method attempts.
(b) Spear gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Callahan first hear as he prepares to make a difficult landing against the shore?
2. Few people are hopeful that Callahan is alive back home, causing many to _______________.
3. What color is the light by which Callahan eats when he successfully traps another dorado fish?
4. Since he is thirsty enough, Callahan decides to drink water from the ____________, although it makes him sick.
5. Callahan thinks the only hope for him lies in finding the ____________ and getting rescued there.
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)