|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By April 16th, Callahan is beginning to doubt his __________ as his morale and his outlook begin to spiral downward.
(a) Food supply.
2. What does Callahan catch when he tries to do some line fishing on the boat in order to catch food in a new way?
(a) Puffer fish.
3. From what besides the radar reflector does Callahan take the remnants in order to help make a crude rain collector?
(a) The emergency kit.
(b) His clothing.
(c) His book.
(d) The solar still.
4. While Callahan was once a fiercely independent man, he now understands man to be a _________ animal.
5. When Callahan looks at his sextant, he decides that he is too far __________ in his journey's plans.
6. Which of the knives has snapped off the end of the spearhead, leaving Callahan with a less than effective instrument?
(a) Both knives.
(b) Butter knife.
(c) None of the knives has snapped off.
(d) Leather knife.
7. Later, Callahan accidentally punches a hole in the ___________ of the boat, although he fixes it quickly.
8. Who corrects the issue with the Napoleon Solo's mistaken label which allows the search to continue?
(a) The Coast Guard.
(b) Callahan's ex-wife.
(c) A journalist.
(d) Callahan's family.
9. Callahan tries to force himself to think ___________ in order to come up with a solution for the leak in his boat.
10. Callahan answers a number of questions of the __________ consul before finally getting some rest in the hospital.
11. What does a fish bite into, causing water to drain back out to sea, according to the observations of Callahan?
(a) Distillation bag.
(b) The bottom of the boat.
(c) The outer tube.
(d) The inner tube.
12. What is suddenly mixed in with the water Callahan has been trying to collect in the canopy?
(a) Orange particles.
(b) Oily black liquid.
(c) A dusty powder.
(d) Green clouds.
13. What does Callahan lay down in order to protect his raft from further damage as he is fishing for food?
(b) His sleeping bag.
(c) A tarp.
(d) The canopy top.
14. What is the destination that Callahan aims for since he does not want to end up having to sail for 30 more days?
(b) West Indies.
15. Callahan decides that mankind is his ____________ and that he wants to live, even though he is in a terrible position.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the tubes in the life raft begins to deflate as a result of the fish's actions on the side of the boat?
2. The __________ keeps slumping over, causing Callahan to have to blow it up every ten or fifteen minutes.
3. Callahan realizes too that he is beginning to be unable to taste the _________ in the water.
4. Callahan imagines that someday his ex-wife might dine upon a __________ which fed upon his corpse.
5. What does Callahan use in order to create a makeshift sextant in order to plot his course?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)