|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How high are the waves that Callahan faces when he decides that he wants to squeak past the Finisterre?
(a) 40 feet.
(b) 20 feet.
(c) 5 feet.
(d) 10 feet.
2. Callahan takes great comfort in the idea that if he does not survive, then his ___________ will tell his story.
3. What does Callahan rip off of the boat before he finally leaves it for the last time?
(b) A sticker.
(c) A piece of the rope.
(d) A portion of the sail.
4. Callahan tries to keep his own spirits up by distracting himself with _______ and daydreams.
5. Which is the slowest ocean current that Callahan is following at first, according to his calculations?
(a) North Equatorial.
(b) Atlantic Trough.
(c) Meridian Strait.
(d) South Equatorial.
6. Which of the boats quickly takes the lead when the trans-Atlantic race finally begins at the start of the book?
(a) Trans Mat.
(b) Napoleon Solo.
(c) Ponce de Leon.
7. How long does it take for the Napoleon Solo to become seaworthy in order to attempt his desired journey?
(a) One day.
(b) One month.
(c) One week.
(d) One year.
8. Callahan hopes to be rescued within ________ days at sea, although he knows of stories of sailors who were at sea for many months.
9. The strobe light atop the ship's ________ continues to blink as Callahan watches the boat move away from him.
10. What does Callahan notice his boat is reluctant to do as he is getting ready to leave it as it begins to take on water?
11. __________ wind would mean faster travel, although it does present its own set of difficulties when a person is trying to sail.
12. What does Callahan scramble to collect when there is a sudden rainfall on his boat?
(a) His journal.
(b) More fish.
(c) Water for drinking.
(d) His dry clothing.
13. After two difficult storms, Callahan declares his absolute _____________ for the lifestyle he is living in the boat.
14. How high is the water in the boat as it begins to take on water after Callahan wakes up from his deep sleep?
(a) Ankle high.
(b) Knee high.
(c) Neck high.
(d) Waist high.
15. What does Callahan feel are now exposed since he has lost his boat and all of its security?
(b) Chances of survival.
(c) His soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Callahan almost miss while he is distracted by the memories playing out in his mind?
2. Callahan begins to realize that __________ are another reality he is able to perceive when he is on the boat.
3. With the wide range of _____________, only the dawn and the dusk give Callahan any relief during his trip.
4. Callahan is worried about his _______________, so he decides to do some yoga to see if that helps him at all.
5. What is in the triggerfish that Callahan finds, which adds to the nutrition he is able to enjoy?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)