|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A passing __________ informs Callahan that all but four of the competitors are behind him.
(b) Race boat.
(c) Cruise ship.
(d) Coast Guard helicopter.
2. What causes damage to the better functioning solar still, further making Callahan upset with his situation?
(a) His own carelessness.
(c) A shark.
(d) A large wave.
3. What does Callahan feel are now exposed since he has lost his boat and all of its security?
(c) Chances of survival.
(d) His soul.
4. Which people are constantly amazed Callahan has come so far in such a little boat?
(b) His family.
(c) The local authorities.
(d) His crew members.
5. The racers and the supporters of the racers argue the wisdom of sailing against ______________.
(a) A pro like Callahan.
(b) Gale force winds.
(c) Each other.
6. Callahan is worried about his _______________, so he decides to do some yoga to see if that helps him at all.
(a) Mental state.
(c) Muscle weakness.
(d) Digestive tract.
7. What almost overcomes Callahan as he is out on the boat cleaning up a fish so as to not waste any of the parts?
8. What does Callahan think he hears when he is resting beneath the canopy of his boat?
(a) Another boat.
(c) His ex-wife.
9. What kind of storms are raging in the Atlantic before the start of the trans-Atlantic race?
10. Callahan tries to keep his own spirits up by distracting himself with _______ and daydreams.
11. What does Callahan call 'dangerously capricious' when he is writing down his thoughts in his journal?
(b) The sea.
(c) The weather.
(d) His thoughts.
12. What revives Callahan during his moment of health crisis when he is cleaning a dorado on the boat?
(a) A prayer.
(b) A ray of sunshine.
(c) A passing boat.
(d) A rogue wave.
13. What proves to be troublesome as Callahan continues on his journey of survival on the raft?
(a) The EPIRB.
(b) His clothing.
(c) His food supply.
(d) Solar stills.
14. On Callahan's __________ day at sea, he is cleaning out a dorado fish when he has a health issue.
15. What wakes Callahan up in the middle of the night and in the middle of the storm after he went to bed?
(a) Loud bang.
(c) His alarm.
(d) A light.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Callahan go to as a result of the storm which takes on his boat suddenly?
2. About a week into the storm, Callahan begins to worry about a ____________ tossing his small ship down a liquid avalanche.
3. Callahan becomes _________ at the sight of his lost boat and his lost dream, it seems.
4. How high are the waves that Callahan faces when he decides that he wants to squeak past the Finisterre?
5. What does Callahan do in order to get himself ready for the worsening storm before going to bed?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)