|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Callahan mount on the top of the canopy in order to try to collect any rainwater when the storms come up?
(a) Tupperware container.
(b) A coffee mug.
(c) A coffee can.
2. In order to speed up his movement, Callahan decides to pull up the raft's underwater _____________.
3. What happens to the bottom of the older solar still, even with the many efforts of Callahan to fix it?
(a) It rots clean through.
(b) It goes missing one day.
(d) It is broken off by a shark.
4. While he is taking a risk by not going out to __________, Callahan decides that taking the shorter route is the best for his chances of winning.
(c) The shore.
(d) The bay.
5. The ___________ proves difficult to clean as well as providing little sustenance in return for the effort.
6. What is in the triggerfish that Callahan finds, which adds to the nutrition he is able to enjoy?
(d) Sea greens.
7. With what does Callahan bail out sea water from the boat as he is drifting in the ocean?
(a) Coffee mug.
(b) Coffee can.
(c) A jelly jar.
(d) His shoe.
8. What wakes Callahan up in the middle of the night and in the middle of the storm after he went to bed?
(a) Loud bang.
(b) His alarm.
(c) A light.
9. What does Callahan rip off of the boat before he finally leaves it for the last time?
(a) A portion of the sail.
(c) A piece of the rope.
(d) A sticker.
10. __________ wind would mean faster travel, although it does present its own set of difficulties when a person is trying to sail.
11. Callahan comes to realize that his dreams are dependent on his survival in the ___________ world.
12. Which is the slowest ocean current that Callahan is following at first, according to his calculations?
(a) South Equatorial.
(b) Atlantic Trough.
(c) Meridian Strait.
(d) North Equatorial.
13. What gives Callahan barely enough room to sit upright in the raft, let alone stretch out his full body?
(a) The sides.
(b) Tent like canopy.
(c) A sail.
(d) The mast.
14. Callahan is plagued by ________ and loss at all of the items he was not able to bring with him on the raft.
15. A passing __________ informs Callahan that all but four of the competitors are behind him.
(b) Race boat.
(c) Cruise ship.
(d) Coast Guard helicopter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Callahan becomes _________ at the sight of his lost boat and his lost dream, it seems.
2. Callahan is grateful that he will benefit from the unfortunate experiences of others, but fears his _________ may not be enough.
3. What does Callahan feel are now exposed since he has lost his boat and all of its security?
4. What does Callahan eat the last of after the soup that he makes, though he is still realizes he is malnourished?
5. Why doesn't anyone on the freighter that Callahan spots see that he is signaling them to see him?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)