|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Catherine often called Callahan a ________ man when they were together, which has led him to little luck with romance.
2. What does Callahan successfully kill with a lucky shot, though he is not able to bring it on board?
3. What does Callahan feel are now exposed since he has lost his boat and all of its security?
(a) His soul.
(b) Chances of survival.
4. What gives Callahan barely enough room to sit upright in the raft, let alone stretch out his full body?
(a) A sail.
(b) The sides.
(c) The mast.
(d) Tent like canopy.
5. How many pounds of meat are hanging inside the canopy to dry out to be eaten at a later time?
6. What kind of fish does Callahan decide would yield more vitamins and minerals than other fish in the area?
7. What does Callahan use in the hope that he might be found and rescued by its beacon?
(a) A flare gun.
(c) An SOS flag.
(d) A bright sail.
8. Callahan begins to appreciate how much better suited the local ____________ are to the area.
(b) Plant life.
(d) Fish life.
9. What does Callahan call 'dangerously capricious' when he is writing down his thoughts in his journal?
(a) His thoughts.
(b) The sea.
(d) The weather.
10. What doesn't the Italian vessel respond to when Callahan passes it during the course of the race?
11. With what does Callahan bail out sea water from the boat as he is drifting in the ocean?
(a) A jelly jar.
(b) Coffee mug.
(c) Coffee can.
(d) His shoe.
12. What does Callahan rip off of the boat before he finally leaves it for the last time?
(a) A sticker.
(b) A piece of the rope.
(d) A portion of the sail.
13. Callahan begins to ponder all of the __________ that he did not bring with him on the life raft.
(b) Medical equipment.
14. How might Callahan be described as he is alone in the sailboat once more on his journey?
15. On what date so the storms come up, causing Callahan to think he might not reach his destination on his desired schedule?
(a) February 10.
(b) February 5.
(c) February 4.
(d) February 16.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the bottom of the older solar still, even with the many efforts of Callahan to fix it?
2. What does Callahan eat the last of after the soup that he makes, though he is still realizes he is malnourished?
3. What is in the soup of rainwater that gives Callahan something new and different to eat in his diet?
4. With the wide range of _____________, only the dawn and the dusk give Callahan any relief during his trip.
5. Training and __________ take over when Callahan is getting himself ready to move to the life raft.
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)