|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Callahan is worried about his _______________, so he decides to do some yoga to see if that helps him at all.
(b) Mental state.
(c) Muscle weakness.
(d) Digestive tract.
2. What revives Callahan during his moment of health crisis when he is cleaning a dorado on the boat?
(a) A passing boat.
(b) A ray of sunshine.
(c) A prayer.
(d) A rogue wave.
3. On what date so the storms come up, causing Callahan to think he might not reach his destination on his desired schedule?
(a) February 10.
(b) February 16.
(c) February 4.
(d) February 5.
4. The ___________ proves difficult to clean as well as providing little sustenance in return for the effort.
5. When does Callahan hope to reach his destination on his journey across the ocean?
(a) February 4.
(b) February 21.
(c) February 25.
(d) February 20.
6. What is in the triggerfish that Callahan finds, which adds to the nutrition he is able to enjoy?
(d) Sea greens.
7. What does Callahan call 'dangerously capricious' when he is writing down his thoughts in his journal?
(a) The sea.
(c) His thoughts.
(d) The weather.
8. What does Callahan use in the hope that he might be found and rescued by its beacon?
(a) A bright sail.
(b) A flare gun.
(d) An SOS flag.
9. While Callahan appreciates the simple __________ of the natural world, he still yearns to be rescued from his condition.
10. Where does Callahan go to as a result of the storm which takes on his boat suddenly?
11. A passing __________ informs Callahan that all but four of the competitors are behind him.
(b) Coast Guard helicopter.
(c) Cruise ship.
(d) Race boat.
12. Callahan begins to ponder all of the __________ that he did not bring with him on the life raft.
(a) Medical equipment.
13. Why doesn't anyone on the freighter that Callahan spots see that he is signaling them to see him?
(a) He's not been reported missing.
(b) His flare gun doesn't work.
(c) It is moving too quickly.
(d) No one is on deck.
14. With what does Callahan bail out sea water from the boat as he is drifting in the ocean?
(a) A jelly jar.
(b) Coffee can.
(c) Coffee mug.
(d) His shoe.
15. What is the Dougal Robertson book about, the book which Callahan did bring with him?
(a) Science fiction.
(b) Sea survival.
(c) A family who misses their sailing relative.
Short Answer Questions
1. Remembering a conversation with his _________ helps Callahan to maintain a more stoic demeanor on his boat.
2. What happens to the bottom of the older solar still, even with the many efforts of Callahan to fix it?
3. How high is the water in the boat as it begins to take on water after Callahan wakes up from his deep sleep?
4. Callahan tries to keep his own spirits up by distracting himself with _______ and daydreams.
5. How many men are supposedly able to fit inside of the life raft Callahan now inhabits?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)