|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what date so the storms come up, causing Callahan to think he might not reach his destination on his desired schedule?
(a) February 16.
(b) February 4.
(c) February 5.
(d) February 10.
2. What does Callahan do in order to get himself ready for the worsening storm before going to bed?
(a) He gathers extra water.
(b) An inspection.
(d) He signals for help.
3. Callahan realizes it will take him about ________ days to reach the shipping lanes in the ocean.
4. What does Callahan eat on his birthday in order to have a small celebration?
(a) Can of peanuts.
(b) A piece of bread.
(d) A candy bar.
5. Callahan tries to keep his own spirits up by distracting himself with _______ and daydreams.
6. What does Callahan eat the last of after the soup that he makes, though he is still realizes he is malnourished?
(a) An apple.
(d) Water chestnuts.
7. What does Callahan struggle to release as soon as he finds himself in water waist deep?
(a) A box of supplies.
(b) The EPIRB.
(c) His life raft.
(d) His flares.
8. Callahan becomes _________ at the sight of his lost boat and his lost dream, it seems.
9. Through the fog and freighter traffic, the Napoleon Solo sails into ____________ to start the race.
10. What does Callahan almost miss while he is distracted by the memories playing out in his mind?
(a) A shark.
(b) The Coast Guard.
(c) A freighter.
(d) His still falling into the sea.
11. While he is taking a risk by not going out to __________, Callahan decides that taking the shorter route is the best for his chances of winning.
(b) The bay.
(c) The shore.
12. Callahan realizes that his survival depends on his ability to make fresh _____________.
13. What does Callahan call 'dangerously capricious' when he is writing down his thoughts in his journal?
(a) His thoughts.
(b) The sea.
(c) The weather.
14. __________ wind would mean faster travel, although it does present its own set of difficulties when a person is trying to sail.
15. The strobe light atop the ship's ________ continues to blink as Callahan watches the boat move away from him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Callahan feels __________ for killing the fish, even though he needs it for food in order to stay alive.
2. What revives Callahan during his moment of health crisis when he is cleaning a dorado on the boat?
3. How long is the race that Callahan wants to enter in order to find out whether he is fit for a trans-Atlantic trip?
4. What kind of fish does Callahan decide would yield more vitamins and minerals than other fish in the area?
5. Callahan begins to ponder all of the __________ that he did not bring with him on the life raft.
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)