|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How high is the water in the boat as it begins to take on water after Callahan wakes up from his deep sleep?
(a) Waist high.
(b) Neck high.
(c) Knee high.
(d) Ankle high.
2. What revives Callahan during his moment of health crisis when he is cleaning a dorado on the boat?
(a) A rogue wave.
(b) A passing boat.
(c) A prayer.
(d) A ray of sunshine.
3. What is in the triggerfish that Callahan finds, which adds to the nutrition he is able to enjoy?
(d) Sea greens.
4. After two difficult storms, Callahan declares his absolute _____________ for the lifestyle he is living in the boat.
5. What almost overcomes Callahan as he is out on the boat cleaning up a fish so as to not waste any of the parts?
6. What did Callahan pack which he felt he had good luck in bringing with him, though he hadn't expected to use it?
(a) His army knife.
(b) A flare gun.
(c) A novel.
7. What does Callahan mount on the top of the canopy in order to try to collect any rainwater when the storms come up?
(a) Tupperware container.
(c) A coffee can.
(d) A coffee mug.
8. What does Callahan scramble to collect when there is a sudden rainfall on his boat?
(a) More fish.
(b) His journal.
(c) Water for drinking.
(d) His dry clothing.
9. From where does Callahan begin his adventure to the other side of the ocean on January 29th?
10. What does Callahan successfully kill with a lucky shot, though he is not able to bring it on board?
11. What wakes Callahan up in the middle of the night and in the middle of the storm after he went to bed?
(a) Loud bang.
(b) His alarm.
(c) A light.
12. Callahan becomes _________ at the sight of his lost boat and his lost dream, it seems.
13. The ___________ proves difficult to clean as well as providing little sustenance in return for the effort.
14. Who is the new crew member Callahan takes on, although this person leaves him a short while later?
(c) Mr. Willoughby.
15. What proves to be troublesome as Callahan continues on his journey of survival on the raft?
(a) The EPIRB.
(b) His clothing.
(c) His food supply.
(d) Solar stills.
Short Answer Questions
1. Callahan begins to appreciate how much better suited the local ____________ are to the area.
2. What happens to the bottom of the older solar still, even with the many efforts of Callahan to fix it?
3. Callahan realizes that his survival depends on his ability to make fresh _____________.
4. What does Callahan struggle to release as soon as he finds himself in water waist deep?
5. On what date so the storms come up, causing Callahan to think he might not reach his destination on his desired schedule?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)