|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Callahan struggle to release as soon as he finds himself in water waist deep?
(a) The EPIRB.
(b) A box of supplies.
(c) His life raft.
(d) His flares.
2. How many men are supposedly able to fit inside of the life raft Callahan now inhabits?
3. Callahan comes to realize that his dreams are dependent on his survival in the ___________ world.
4. What almost overcomes Callahan as he is out on the boat cleaning up a fish so as to not waste any of the parts?
5. Which of the boats quickly takes the lead when the trans-Atlantic race finally begins at the start of the book?
(a) Ponce de Leon.
(b) Trans Mat.
(d) Napoleon Solo.
6. Where does Callahan go to as a result of the storm which takes on his boat suddenly?
7. In order to speed up his movement, Callahan decides to pull up the raft's underwater _____________.
8. Catherine often called Callahan a ________ man when they were together, which has led him to little luck with romance.
9. What has caused all of the sores and boils on Callahan's body as he has been sitting in his life raft?
(a) Lack of food.
(b) Salt water.
(c) A bacterial infection.
(d) Lack of water.
10. What does Callahan rip off of the boat before he finally leaves it for the last time?
(a) A piece of the rope.
(b) A portion of the sail.
(d) A sticker.
11. Callahan is grateful that he will benefit from the unfortunate experiences of others, but fears his _________ may not be enough.
12. The racers and the supporters of the racers argue the wisdom of sailing against ______________.
(b) Each other.
(c) Gale force winds.
(d) A pro like Callahan.
13. Why doesn't anyone on the freighter that Callahan spots see that he is signaling them to see him?
(a) His flare gun doesn't work.
(b) It is moving too quickly.
(c) No one is on deck.
(d) He's not been reported missing.
14. What does Callahan notice his boat is reluctant to do as he is getting ready to leave it as it begins to take on water?
15. With what does Callahan bail out sea water from the boat as he is drifting in the ocean?
(a) His shoe.
(b) Coffee can.
(c) Coffee mug.
(d) A jelly jar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Remembering a conversation with his _________ helps Callahan to maintain a more stoic demeanor on his boat.
2. Callahan realizes it will take him about ________ days to reach the shipping lanes in the ocean.
3. What does Callahan scramble to collect when there is a sudden rainfall on his boat?
4. The ___________ proves difficult to clean as well as providing little sustenance in return for the effort.
5. Callahan begins to appreciate how much better suited the local ____________ are to the area.
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)