|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Callahan rip off of the boat before he finally leaves it for the last time?
(a) A portion of the sail.
(b) A piece of the rope.
(d) A sticker.
2. Which is the slowest ocean current that Callahan is following at first, according to his calculations?
(a) Meridian Strait.
(b) South Equatorial.
(c) Atlantic Trough.
(d) North Equatorial.
3. The ___________ proves difficult to clean as well as providing little sustenance in return for the effort.
4. In the dead of the night, Callahan has to fight off _________ in order to make sure that he is safe and secure in his boat.
(a) A downpour.
(c) A storm.
5. Callahan comes to realize that his dreams are dependent on his survival in the ___________ world.
6. How many men are supposedly able to fit inside of the life raft Callahan now inhabits?
7. Callahan begins to realize that __________ are another reality he is able to perceive when he is on the boat.
8. Callahan begins to ponder all of the __________ that he did not bring with him on the life raft.
(d) Medical equipment.
9. What did Callahan pack which he felt he had good luck in bringing with him, though he hadn't expected to use it?
(a) His army knife.
(b) A flare gun.
(d) A novel.
10. The strobe light atop the ship's ________ continues to blink as Callahan watches the boat move away from him.
11. While Callahan appreciates the simple __________ of the natural world, he still yearns to be rescued from his condition.
12. A passing __________ informs Callahan that all but four of the competitors are behind him.
(a) Cruise ship.
(c) Coast Guard helicopter.
(d) Race boat.
13. Which people are constantly amazed Callahan has come so far in such a little boat?
(b) His crew members.
(c) His family.
(d) The local authorities.
14. Why doesn't anyone on the freighter that Callahan spots see that he is signaling them to see him?
(a) It is moving too quickly.
(b) His flare gun doesn't work.
(c) He's not been reported missing.
(d) No one is on deck.
15. What is in the triggerfish that Callahan finds, which adds to the nutrition he is able to enjoy?
(d) Sea greens.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date so the storms come up, causing Callahan to think he might not reach his destination on his desired schedule?
2. While he is taking a risk by not going out to __________, Callahan decides that taking the shorter route is the best for his chances of winning.
3. What continues to cause Callahan's ship to be battered about the ocean, not adding to the comfort of Callahan?
4. Callahan feels __________ for killing the fish, even though he needs it for food in order to stay alive.
5. What has come undone, allowing the life raft to part from the main boat after a while?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)