|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ramsbottom appear physically?
2. What surprises Hornblower about Ramsbottom?
3. What does Hornblower do after lunch?
4. What does Hornblower climb?
5. What happens while Hornblower is in the garden area during the ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hornblower do to keep the various authorities in the area from being upset at Hornblower and the English?
2. What happens immediately upon Hornblower's return that is disconcerting to him?
3. Describe Ned Johnson.
4. How do Hornblower and the governor disagree and what does Hornblower do about it for the moment?
5. Describe Charles Ramsbottom.
6. How does Hornblower manage to avoid a confrontation with Spanish and Dutch officials and where does Hornblower go from Puerto Cabello?
7. Who does Hornblower meet ashore at Puerto Cabello and what ensues while Hornblower is ashore?
8. What does Hornblower learn on his tour of the Bride of Abydos and what is his reaction?
9. About what do the men converse while dining on the Bride of Aybados?
10. Why is Hornblower summoned by Governor Hooper upon his return from two weeks on the open sea drilling his squadron, and how does Hornblower calm Governor Hooper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though Captain Fell believes he has lost the opportunity to capture the slave ship Estrella del Sur, Hornblower believes otherwise and concots a plan and then orders his secretary Spendlove to suggests the plan to Fell as if it were Spendlove's own idea. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Hornblower has Spendlove suggest the plan? (Consider that this is Fell's ship though Hornblower, who outranks Fell is aboard using the ship as his flagship.)
2. What does it say about Hornblower as a leader to get the plan to Fell in the way he does rather than telling Fell the plan himself?
3. Would you consider Hornblower a good leader? Why? Cite examples.
4. How would you characterize Captain Fell as a leader? Use examples to support your statements. Do you think it is wise of Hornblower to help Fell stay in command even though Hornblower believes Fell's abilities as a ship captain are lacking?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze one major theme of Admiral Hornblower in the West Indies. Consider the following: How does one character's actions portray the theme you are analyzing? How does the setting contribute to that theme? Is the theme one that you would call a "universal theme"? If so, what other book or novel that you have read also includes this theme. If not, why don't you think it is a "universal" theme?
2. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Admiral Hornblower in the West Indies. How does one character's actions portray the themes you are analyzing? How does the setting contribute to that theme? Is the theme one that you would call a "universal theme"? If so, what other book or novel that you have read also includes this theme. If not, why don't you think it is a "universal" theme?
3. What benefit is there in discussing and analyzing the themes of a work of fiction? Do you think most authors consciously develop themes in their works? Why or why not? Can there be accidental themes? What do you think is one possible "accidental" theme in Admiral Hornblower in the West Indies. Which theme in ADMIRAL HORNBLOWER IN THE WEST INDIES speaks to you the most in your life? Why?
Essay Topic 3
C. S. Forester often uses historical events and facts around which to weave his work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think this book qualifies as an historical fiction? Why or why not?
2. If much of the events in the book are historical, what surprises you about the way the events play out?
3. Do you think the culture of that era is more or less advanced than you imagined? Explain.
4. Would you enjoy living in this era? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)