|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hornblower advise against Hooper's plan as far as the pirates are concerned?
(a) Too costly.
(b) It could allow the pirates to escape.
(c) It would make Hooper look weak if he loses the battle.
(d) It would be ineffectual.
2. Where does Hornblower think he is?
(a) San Juan.
(b) Pitfall County.
(c) Cockpit Country.
(d) Sunburst County.
3. How does Spendlove escape?
(a) He bribes a guard.
(b) He jumps into the water and swims to Montego Bay and then rides a horse.
(c) He tells Johnson he will bring back large sums of money.
(d) He does not escape.
4. Why does Hornblower read the letter aloud?
(a) Johnson is checking Hornblower's honesty.
(b) He wants to make sure it sounds good.
(c) None of the pirates can read.
(d) He does not read the letter aloud.
5. Where is Hornblower taken when he returns?
(a) To the Clorinda.
(b) To prison.
(c) Straight to the governor's home.
(d) To Mr. Hough's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower offer?
2. What happens after they ship fires a few more times?
3. Why won't any of the men take the letter to the governor?
4. What surprises Hornblower about Ramsbottom?
5. What does Hornblower climb?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the area where Hornblower and Spendlove are being held.
2. How do Hornblower and the governor disagree and what does Hornblower do about it for the moment?
3. What does Hornblower learn on his tour of the Bride of Abydos and what is his reaction?
4. Why does Hornblower quickly leave Curaçao and where does he go?
5. Who has kidnapped Hornblower and Spendlove and what are the demands?
6. What does Hornblower do once he reaches Puerto Cabello?
7. About what do the men converse while dining on the Bride of Aybados?
8. Where do Hornblower and Spendlove figure they are?
9. What does Hornblower learn from the Dutch and Spanish ministers with whom he converses?
10. What are the implications of the capture of the Helmond?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)