|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will break the restraint on the sea anchor?
(a) The paper will dissolve with some time.
(b) The Clorinda will fire a cannon.
(c) A built-in cutting edge.
(d) Water pressure and flow.
2. To what is the cone affixed?
(a) An old, sunken ship.
(b) The dock.
(c) A bollard on the Clorinda.
(d) A length of chain.
3. Why is Fell always poor?
(a) He has ten children to raise.
(b) He has a gambling problem.
(c) He was the third son of a Baron and thus inheirits little.
(d) He maintains an extravagant wife in England.
4. What is the ideal situation once the Estrella reaches high seas?
(a) The Estrella will sink.
(b) The Estrella will becalm.
(c) The sea anchor will slow down and the Clorinda will be able to close and board.
(d) The waves will be high enough to make the sea anchor work optimally.
5. What legend does Hornblower recall upon hearing the news from the governor?
(a) The legend of Julian of Norwich.
(b) The legend of Napoleon's birth.
(c) The legend of Napoleon's youth.
(d) The legend of St. Elizabeth of Hungary.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hornblower board the Crab?
2. What is one thing Sharp and Hornblower are discussing?
3. What happens to the pintle?
4. Who realizes immediately that the chase for Estrella del Sur is futile?
5. Of what does Cambronne's cargo consist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the capture of the Estrella del Sur by the Clorinda.
2. What does the governor warn Hornblower about, and how does Hornblower's facile political manipulations set up the captain of the Estrella del Sur?
3. How large is the fleet Rear Admiral Hornblower commands and why is his flagship one of the lesser vessels?
4. What is the cargo of the Daring according to the men of the Crab?
5. How does Hornblower encounter the Estrella del Sur's captain and what does Hornblower do?
6. How does Hornblower discreetly inform Fell of a possible plan to capture the Estrella del Sur and what is Fell's reaction?
7. How do Fell and Hornblower differ on whether the Estrella's capture is still possible and why would that be so devastating to Fell? What does Hornblower decide to do?
8. Describe Fell's decision regarding the Estrella del Sur and the result of the decision.
9. What does Sharpe tell Hornblower about who has hired the Daring.
10. What would enable Fell to profit by the capture of the Estrella del Sur and by how much would he profit?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)