|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cambronne demand as verification?
(a) Hornblower's word as a gentleman and naval officer.
(b) To read the letter from Hornblower's superior.
(c) That Hornblower leave two of his officers on board Daring as hostages until Cambronne can verify the information.
(d) To escort the Crab back to port and verify it before the Daring will allow the Crab to depart without a fight.
2. What is another topic of discussion between Sharp and Hornblower?
(a) Residing in the United States.
(b) Problematic retrofitting of steam vessels.
(c) The pending promotion of Hornblower to Admiral.
(d) Problematic letters of marque.
3. What was the one thing Hornblower had not planned upon?
(a) That the pintle would be completely jerked off the ship.
(b) That there would be so much cargo on the Estrella.
(c) The the sea anchor would cause the Estrella to keel over so badly.
(d) That the pintle would hold fast.
4. What causes Hornblower to misread Cambronne's pretext for departing the gala?
(a) He is laywaid by a beautiful woman.
(b) Sharpe assures Hornblower that Cambronne is being genuine.
(c) Too much wine.
(d) Hornblower thinks Cambronne is a gentleman and as such would not lie.
5. How does Cambronne express his anguish?
(a) He rips off his uniform's insignia.
(b) He shoots himself in the head.
(c) He cuts his hair.
(d) He breaks his sword and casts the remnants into the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Hornblower and Fell differ in their opinion of the situation?
2. To what is the sea anchor attached?
3. What does Hornblower conclude Cambronne intends to do?
4. What is a drogue?
5. How is Hornblower's composure during the playing out of this drama with the Estrella del Sur?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who commands the Clorinda and what is his financial situation?
2. How is Hornblower not up to his usual powers of observation and deduction?
3. What does Hornblower tell Cambronne when Hornblower boards the Daring?
4. How large is the fleet Rear Admiral Hornblower commands and why is his flagship one of the lesser vessels?
5. Where has Cambronne actually gone and what prevents Hornblower from following him immediately?
6. Describe the vessel Hornblower's flagship spies.
7. What would enable Fell to profit by the capture of the Estrella del Sur and by how much would he profit?
8. Who does Rear Admiral Hornblower talk with and what are the main topics of discussion?
9. What is the cargo of the Daring according to the men of the Crab?
10. What is the ostensible reason Cambronne has hired the Daring, and does Hornblower believe the explanation?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)