|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the circulars say that are dispatched to various authorities?
(a) That the Spanish are in violation of international law.
(b) That the English have decided to support Bolívar.
(c) The putative English blockade of Venezuela is nothing more than a ruse de guerre perpetrated by Ramsbottom.
(d) That the Dutch are in violation of international law.
2. What does Hornblower witness ashore?
(a) The routing remnants of the Spanish Royalist forces.
(b) The torching of Puerto Cabo.
(c) The hanging of Bolívar.
(d) A massacre of the rebels.
3. Where does Hornblower tour the brig?
(a) Aboard the Bride of Abydos.
(b) Aboard the Abydos Lost.
(c) At the government house.
(d) Aboard the Abydos Found.
4. What does Hornblower spend his time doing during the next two weeks after the dinner with Ramsbottom?
(a) Recovering from malaria.
(b) Recovering from yellow fever.
(c) Drilling his squadron on the open seas.
(d) Working through a pile of paperwork before leaving Jamaica.
5. What is the name of Ramsbottom's yacht?
(a) Abydos Lost.
(b) Bride of Abydos.
(c) Abydos Found.
(d) Bride of Frankenstein.
6. Who is Ned Johnson?
(a) Mr. Hough's butler.
(b) A liberated slaves off a slave ship.
(c) The leader of a band of ruffians.
(d) A former member of a pirate band.
7. Where are Hornblower, Hooper and several others invited to dine?
(a) At Ramsbottom's rented mansion in Jamaica.
(b) At an invitations-only dining restaurant.
(c) Aboard Ramsbottom's yacht.
(d) At the Gentleman's club to which Ramsbottom belongs.
8. Who does Hooper consider expendable?
9. What is the Helmond?
(a) A German vessel captured by Ramsbottom.
(b) A German vessel aiding Ramsbottom in a blockade.
(c) A Dutch vessel aiding Ramsbottom in a blockade.
(d) A Dutch vessel captured by Ramsbottom.
10. What does Hornblower do on board the Helmond?
(a) Assigns a prize crew.
(b) He frees the Dutch crew and turns the ship over to its captain.
(c) Keeps the crew tied up and waits for Ramsbottom.
(d) Fires the ship.
11. What does Hornblower climb?
(a) A dangling rope ladder.
(b) The mast of the Clorinda to show new recruits how to do so.
(c) The balustrade inside the ball room to retrieve a cat.
(d) The garden wall.
12. How does Lucy Hough greet Hornblower?
(a) With indifference.
(b) With veiled hostility.
(c) Effusive and confused.
(d) With disdain.
13. What does Spendlove do as he recovers?
(a) Becomes increasingly protective of Hornblower.
(b) Decides to make a run for it.
(c) Talks to Lucy about England.
(d) Talks to Mr. Hough about Lucy.
14. Where does Hornblower think he is?
(a) Cockpit Country.
(b) Pitfall County.
(c) San Juan.
(d) Sunburst County.
15. Why does Hornblower read the letter aloud?
(a) He does not read the letter aloud.
(b) None of the pirates can read.
(c) Johnson is checking Hornblower's honesty.
(d) He wants to make sure it sounds good.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes into the room when Hooper and Hornblower are having breakfast?
2. What is the Helmund transporting?
3. What happens to the Helmond's artillery guns?
4. What does Lucy do when she next sees Hornblower?
5. Where does Hornblower have the Clorinda's mortar mounted?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)