|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hornblower's ship come about as he is cruising the coast?
(a) The Bride of Abydos.
(b) A captured French vessel.
(c) Abydos Found.
(d) Abydos Lost.
2. What do they have to do when the boat grounds?
(a) Carry the mortar on foot.
(b) Dam the river to make the water rise.
(c) Carry the mortar around the shallows.
(d) Set up a line of defense there.
3. Who is Mr. Hough?
(a) One of the midshipmen on the Clorinda.
(b) Hornblower's quartermaster.
(c) A wealthy local businessman and Jamaican planter.
(d) The secretary to the English diplomat in Jamaica.
4. Where does Hornblower write a brief letter?
(a) On a scrap of paper.
(b) On the flyleaf of a book.
(c) On his linen shirt.
(d) On the bark of a tree.
5. For what activity does Ramsbottom have a penchant?
(d) Yachting in the military style.
6. Where does Hornblower think he is?
(a) San Juan.
(b) Sunburst County.
(c) Cockpit Country.
(d) Pitfall County.
7. What bay does Hornblower look out over where he is sitting on a rocky ledge?
8. About what is Hooper furious?
(a) The way Mr. Hough treats Hornblower.
(b) The way Hornblower demands a pardon for the pirates.
(c) The way Hornblower humiliates Lucy.
(d) The cost of the search party.
9. What do the circulars say that are dispatched to various authorities?
(a) That the English have decided to support Bolívar.
(b) That the Dutch are in violation of international law.
(c) The putative English blockade of Venezuela is nothing more than a ruse de guerre perpetrated by Ramsbottom.
(d) That the Spanish are in violation of international law.
10. What does Hornblower offer?
(a) To go back and set explosives in the caves.
(b) To take care of the problem with the pirates.
(c) To sail up the coast and draw the pirates with him.
(d) To allow Hooper the use of the Clorinda.
11. Who arrives after Hornblower?
(a) No one.
(b) Mr. Hough.
(d) Captain Fell.
12. Who comes into the room when Hooper and Hornblower are having breakfast?
(b) Mr. Hough.
(c) Captain Fell.
13. How does Spendlove escape?
(a) He does not escape.
(b) He tells Johnson he will bring back large sums of money.
(c) He bribes a guard.
(d) He jumps into the water and swims to Montego Bay and then rides a horse.
14. How is Ramsbottom behaving emotionally when Hornblower encounters him?
(a) Grieving the death of Bolívar.
(d) Joyful but nearly hysterical.
15. Where does Hornblower have the Clorinda's mortar mounted?
(a) On the fighting bridges.
(b) On a light boat.
(c) On the bridge wings.
(d) On a mule-drawn wagon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower witness ashore?
2. Who calls on Hornblower back on the Clorinda?
3. What does Hornblower learn at Curaçao?
4. Why won't any of the men take the letter to the governor?
5. Why is Governor Hooper outraged?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)