|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bay does Hornblower look out over where he is sitting on a rocky ledge?
2. How is Ramsbottom's vessel crewed?
(a) Mostly older navy veterans.
(b) Hessian mercenaries.
(c) Former pirates who forswear their former ways.
(d) A number of navy deserters from various countries.
3. What does Ramsbottom rename his ship?
(a) The Righteousness.
(b) The Desperate.
(c) The Deliverance.
(d) The Avenging Angel.
4. To where does the Clorinda return?
(c) Puerto Rico.
(d) Puerto Cabello.
5. What does Hornblower figure out that Ramsbottom has been doing?
(a) Running slaves out of the West Indies.
(b) Posturing as a British commissioned ship-of-war acting under Hornblower's orders.
(c) Waiting to leave the area under the protection of Hornblower's squadron.
(d) Running illegal cargo to South America.
6. Where does the waterfall end?
(a) In the ocean.
(b) A few feet down into a shallow stream.
(c) It is impossible to tell from where Hornblower is sitting.
(d) In a deep pool and river at the base of the cliff.
7. What does Spendlove do as he recovers?
(a) Decides to make a run for it.
(b) Talks to Lucy about England.
(c) Becomes increasingly protective of Hornblower.
(d) Talks to Mr. Hough about Lucy.
8. Where does Hornblower decide to sail?
(a) Back to his home base.
(b) To England.
(c) To Peru.
(d) To Venezuela.
9. What does Hornblower learn from his wife, Barbara, about Ramsbottom?
(a) Ramsbottom became engaged to the Duke of York's daughter and broke it off, disgracing her.
(b) That Ramsbottom is being considered to be knighted.
(c) Ramsbottom has made a big splash in the English social scene and that the man is a millionaire.
(d) That Ramsbottom is suspected of running slaves.
10. Who is Simón Bolívar?
(a) The President of Peru.
(b) The rebel leader in Puerto Rico.
(c) The President of Ecuador.
(d) A revolutionary general and leader.
11. How does Spendlove escape?
(a) He tells Johnson he will bring back large sums of money.
(b) He bribes a guard.
(c) He does not escape.
(d) He jumps into the water and swims to Montego Bay and then rides a horse.
12. Why is Governor Hooper outraged?
(a) Because the English conducted manuevers too close to shore and the sound of the gun scare the locals.
(b) Because of English intervention in Venezuela.
(c) Because Lucy Hough told her father that Hornsblower had agreed to marry her.
(d) Because Ramsbottom elopes with Lucy Hough.
13. Why does Hornblower advise against Hooper's plan as far as the pirates are concerned?
(a) Too costly.
(b) It could allow the pirates to escape.
(c) It would be ineffectual.
(d) It would make Hooper look weak if he loses the battle.
14. What does Hornblower spend his time doing during the next two weeks after the dinner with Ramsbottom?
(a) Recovering from malaria.
(b) Recovering from yellow fever.
(c) Working through a pile of paperwork before leaving Jamaica.
(d) Drilling his squadron on the open seas.
15. What does Hooper order?
(a) Breakfast for Spendlove.
(b) Increased patrols along the coastal areas.
(c) A medal for Spendlove.
(d) A military strike on the pirate's redoubt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Johnson want of Hornblower?
2. What does Hornblower offer?
3. What does Hooper flatly reject?
4. What does Hornblower witness ashore?
5. What does Hornblower's ship come about as he is cruising the coast?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)