|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the one thing Hornblower had not planned upon?
(a) That the pintle would be completely jerked off the ship.
(b) The the sea anchor would cause the Estrella to keel over so badly.
(c) That the pintle would hold fast.
(d) That there would be so much cargo on the Estrella.
2. What does the governor tell Hornblower as he makes port?
(a) That Hornblower's wife's boat sank.
(b) That Napoleon has died.
(c) That Madam Cambronne is under the protection of the Americans.
(d) The the Daring sinks with all hands lost.
3. What is a drogue?
(a) A sailor engaged in nefarious trade.
(b) A ship that has only one mast.
(c) A sea anchor.
(d) A captain gone astray.
4. What causes Hornblower to misread Cambronne's pretext for departing the gala?
(a) Sharpe assures Hornblower that Cambronne is being genuine.
(b) He is laywaid by a beautiful woman.
(c) Hornblower thinks Cambronne is a gentleman and as such would not lie.
(d) Too much wine.
5. What would happen should Clorinda capture Estrella del Sur close to San Juan?
(a) Fell would be declared a pirate.
(b) The action would be deemed a violation of the rules of engagement by England and official protests would ensue.
(c) Several other Spanish ships are liable to go to Estrella's aid.
(d) The fort at San Juan may fire upon Clorinda.
6. What type of freight will the Daring be taking on shortly?
7. What occupies Clorinda's days?
(a) Demonstrating seamanship to other English vessels.
(b) Ferrying English settlers among the islands of the West Indies.
(c) Cruising in the West Indies in search of pirates or slave runners.
(d) Sailing from port to port to supervise the dry dock activities of the West Indies fleet..
8. How might the political situation between England and the United States be described?
9. What does Hornblower intend to do?
(a) Tender his resignation.
(b) Intercept the Daring and have Cambronne silenced.
(c) Send a missive to St. Helena and tell them to be on double guard.
(d) Ask for reassignment.
10. Who realizes immediately that the chase for Estrella del Sur is futile?
(a) Only Hornblower of everyone on board.
(b) Hornblower and Spendlove.
(d) No one.
11. When Cambronne sets sail, what does he employ?
(a) A company of mercenaries.
(b) A group of slaves.
(c) An escort of two American frigates.
(d) Both steam tugs.
12. How does Hornblower's flagship reach New Orleans?
(a) Via a sail tug.
(b) Via a steam tug.
(c) Under its own sail.
(d) It doesn't; it stays out in deeper waters.
13. Where does Hornblower attend a gala?
(a) At Cambronne's estate.
(b) At the New Orleans officer club.
(c) At General Layfayette's estate.
(d) At Sharpe's estate.
14. About how many vessels does Hornblower command?
15. Who does Hornblower congratulate on the speed of his ship?
(a) The captain of the HMS Java.
(b) The captain of the Estrella del sur.
(c) The captain of the Daring.
(d) The captain of the Atlas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Hornblower suspicious?
2. What cargo does the Estreela del Sur often carry?
3. What does Hornblower hope?
4. What does Hornblower tell Cambronne?
5. Who is the Estrella del Sur?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)