|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the crew of the Clorinda receive?
(a) A large bounty.
(d) Time in dry dock.
2. What happens after Spendlove follows Hornblower's orders?
(a) Fell relates the plan back to Hornblower.
(b) The bomb Spendlove plants fails to detonate.
(c) The warehouses along the docks accidentally catch fire.
(d) The Estrella refuses to allow Spendlove to board.
3. What does Hornblower hope?
(a) That the captain of the Estrella will be too drunk to sail well.
(b) Captain Fell will be quick enough to take advantage of the slowed down Estrella.
(c) That the Clorinda's increased speed because of off loading its cargo will now be fast enough to catch the Estrella.
(d) That the Estrella will gain the high seas without detecting the sea anchor.
4. What occupies Clorinda's days?
(a) Ferrying English settlers among the islands of the West Indies.
(b) Sailing from port to port to supervise the dry dock activities of the West Indies fleet..
(c) Cruising in the West Indies in search of pirates or slave runners.
(d) Demonstrating seamanship to other English vessels.
5. Where does Hornblower make an official state visit?
(a) At the French embassy.
(b) At the government house in San Juan.
(c) At the Spanish embassy.
(d) Aboard the Estrella del Sur.
6. Why is Fell always poor?
(a) He maintains an extravagant wife in England.
(b) He was the third son of a Baron and thus inheirits little.
(c) He has a gambling problem.
(d) He has ten children to raise.
7. What do ships-of-war gain from capturing slave ships?
(a) Head money.
(b) A rotation back to England.
(c) Choice assignments next time.
(d) A citation.
8. Why is Hornblower in despair?
(a) For having to threaten the life of a woman.
(b) For giving his word as an officer and gentleman when it was a lie.
(c) For not being able to persuade Cambronne to change his course.
(d) For trusting Sharpe as to Cambronne's intentions.
9. What does Hornblower conclude Cambronne intends to do?
(a) Attack the British crown colony of Barbados.
(b) Free Napoleon.
(c) Aid the rebellion in the West Indies by the slaves.
(d) Aid the rebellion in Bolivia.
10. What does Fell figure he can earn by capturing Estrella del Sur?
(a) Nothing since it's not a slave ship.
(b) A citation and reassignment out of the tropics.
(c) 1000 pounds.
(d) 100 pounds.
11. What is a drogue?
(a) A ship that has only one mast.
(b) A sea anchor.
(c) A sailor engaged in nefarious trade.
(d) A captain gone astray.
12. What does the Clorinda do?
(a) Fires a few shots across the bow of the Estrella.
(b) Closes quickly.
(c) Starts to close but then also flounders in the heavy seas.
(d) Starts to close but takes a few rounds in the hull causing it to start taking on water.
13. Who does Hornblower congratulate on the speed of his ship?
(a) The captain of the Daring.
(b) The captain of the HMS Java.
(c) The captain of the Estrella del sur.
(d) The captain of the Atlas.
14. About how many vessels does Hornblower command?
15. What does Hornblower connive to do?
(a) Get the captain of the Estrella drunk.
(b) Have the slave ship's captain casually disregard some of the finer points of law to Hornblower's eventual favor.
(c) Get the governor to turn his head from Hornblower's activities.
(d) Get the governor drunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Hornblower and Fell differ in their opinion of the situation?
2. How does Hornblower see his future?
3. What does Cambronne demand as verification?
4. What does Cambronne bewail?
5. What does Hornblower instruct the men of the Crab to do?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)