|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who follows the Estrella out of port?
(a) The Java and the Sutherland.
(b) The San Juan shore patrol.
(c) A French frigate.
(d) The Clorinda.
2. What is the ideal situation once the Estrella reaches high seas?
(a) The Estrella will sink.
(b) The waves will be high enough to make the sea anchor work optimally.
(c) The Estrella will becalm.
(d) The sea anchor will slow down and the Clorinda will be able to close and board.
3. Of what does the Governor remind Hornblower?
(a) Of the time the French broke the rules of engagement and what happened.
(b) The rules of engagement.
(c) The last time Hornblower was in San Juan.
(d) Of the fact that he met Hornblower's wife while she was still married to Admiral Leighton.
4. Upon whom does Hornblower decide to keep a close watch?
(b) The French diplomat visiting New Orleans.
5. What does Hornblower hope?
(a) That the captain of the Estrella will be too drunk to sail well.
(b) That the Estrella will gain the high seas without detecting the sea anchor.
(c) Captain Fell will be quick enough to take advantage of the slowed down Estrella.
(d) That the Clorinda's increased speed because of off loading its cargo will now be fast enough to catch the Estrella.
6. What does Sharpe observe about Cambronne's route?
(a) Cambronne will probably go around the Florida Keys.
(b) Cambronne must call at Corpus Christi to embark his men.
(c) Cambronne must ride out the hurricane coming up the Gulf before he can get away completely.
(d) Cambronne will probably call at Cuba for more slaves.
7. What type of freight will the Daring be taking on shortly?
8. What is another topic of discussion between Sharp and Hornblower?
(a) Residing in the United States.
(b) The pending promotion of Hornblower to Admiral.
(c) Problematic retrofitting of steam vessels.
(d) Problematic letters of marque.
9. What causes Hornblower to misread Cambronne's pretext for departing the gala?
(a) Sharpe assures Hornblower that Cambronne is being genuine.
(b) Too much wine.
(c) He is laywaid by a beautiful woman.
(d) Hornblower thinks Cambronne is a gentleman and as such would not lie.
10. Where does Hornblower attend a gala?
(a) At Sharpe's estate.
(b) At the New Orleans officer club.
(c) At Cambronne's estate.
(d) At General Layfayette's estate.
11. How might the political situation between England and the United States be described?
12. Who is the Estrella del Sur?
(a) A retrofitted English vessel captured during the Napoleonic Wars.
(b) A large schooner capable of exceptional speed.
(c) The flagship of the Spanish fleet in the West Indies.
(d) A retrofitted Spanish vessel that had been Napoleon's flagship.
13. Of what does Cambronne's cargo consist?
(a) Muskets, French dress uniforms and military headwear peculiar to the time of Napoleon's greatest influence.
(b) Slaves and rum.
(c) Rum and tobacco.
(d) Cannons and pistols.
14. What does Cambronne bewail?
(a) Napoleon's death.
(b) The loss of his cause in Barbardos.
(c) That his wife is captive.
(d) That Hornblower has figured out Cambronne's plan.
15. Who does Hornblower congratulate on the speed of his ship?
(a) The captain of the HMS Java.
(b) The captain of the Daring.
(c) The captain of the Estrella del sur.
(d) The captain of the Atlas.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how many vessels does Hornblower command?
2. What is the name of the present flagship?
3. How does Hornblower's flagship reach New Orleans?
4. Of what is Hornblower suspicious?
5. Why is Hornblower in despair?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)