|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hornblower board the Crab?
(a) Unarmed and unescorted.
(b) He is unable to board the Crab.
(c) By ropes at night.
(d) By a large boarding party.
2. What do ships-of-war gain from capturing slave ships?
(a) Head money.
(b) Choice assignments next time.
(c) A rotation back to England.
(d) A citation.
3. To what is the cone affixed?
(a) A bollard on the Clorinda.
(b) A length of chain.
(c) An old, sunken ship.
(d) The dock.
4. What does Cambronne demand as verification?
(a) Hornblower's word as a gentleman and naval officer.
(b) That Hornblower leave two of his officers on board Daring as hostages until Cambronne can verify the information.
(c) To escort the Crab back to port and verify it before the Daring will allow the Crab to depart without a fight.
(d) To read the letter from Hornblower's superior.
5. Who is the Estrella del Sur?
(a) A retrofitted Spanish vessel that had been Napoleon's flagship.
(b) A retrofitted English vessel captured during the Napoleonic Wars.
(c) A large schooner capable of exceptional speed.
(d) The flagship of the Spanish fleet in the West Indies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives after Hornblower?
2. What does Cambronne bewail?
3. What does Hornblower instruct the men of the Crab to do?
4. What concerns Hornblower about Cambronne's possible destination and purpose?
5. How does Hornblower deliver the lie to Cambronne?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)