|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the waterfall end?
(a) In a deep pool and river at the base of the cliff.
(b) It is impossible to tell from where Hornblower is sitting.
(c) In the ocean.
(d) A few feet down into a shallow stream.
2. What does Johnson want of Hornblower?
(a) A letter to the governor requesting pardon for the survivinig pirates.
(b) Release of Johnson's wife who is being held as a slave.
(d) To tell Hornblower Lucy would like to meet him in the library.
3. How do the men of the Clorinda construct a large, truncated cone?
(a) With sail cloth and sparring.
(b) With bailing wire and silk.
(c) With sea sponges.
(d) With bailing wire and wool.
4. What bothers Hornblower about Johnson's plan?
(a) Mr. Hough's response.
(b) The timing having to be so exact.
(c) Abandoning Spendlove.
(d) The governor's response.
5. Why does Hornblower read the letter aloud?
(a) None of the pirates can read.
(b) He wants to make sure it sounds good.
(c) He does not read the letter aloud.
(d) Johnson is checking Hornblower's honesty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hornblower's position as the novel opens?
2. What does Fell figure he can earn by capturing Estrella del Sur?
3. What happens after they ship fires a few more times?
4. What does Hornblower hope?
5. What is another topic of discussion between Sharp and Hornblower?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)