|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the Villa Venus where Van goes for the last time, what causes the grand piano to play?
2. What name does Van have for frightening dreams?
3. What does VPL stand for?
(a) Very Private Letters.
(b) Veen Partners Limited.
(c) Variegated Plastic Linings.
(d) Valuing Personal Liabilities.
4. How long does Van spend in Cordula's Manhattan flat?
(a) A week.
(b) A month.
(c) Six months.
(d) A year.
5. What causes Eberthella Brown to spill her coffee?
(a) A caterpillar.
(b) A ringing phone.
(c) A rude joke.
(d) An earthquake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Van write a letter to, to be sent in case he is killed in the duel?
2. What does Van term the act of pausing and sending the mind slightly backwards, to examine the moment of the present?
3. Where does Van track down Rack?
4. After meeting with Demon, does Van believe he should part with Ada?
5. What are the "three C's" Lucette says were talked about at Ada's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What exercise in memory does Van attempt, which he also gives to his patients?
2. What were the reviews of Van's first book like?
3. What does Van propose about the future in his treatise on time?
4. What tragedy happened at the Villa Venus in Souvenir, Missouri?
5. What is Van's opinion of acting?
6. How does Van remember his three farewell lectures on Bergson's Time?
7. How does Van gain the post of Rattner Chair of Philosophy at University of Kingston?
8. Why does Van need to go back for more surgery?
9. What does Van give to Lucette in exchange for the name of the man who wants to marry her?
10. What does Van write about in his unsent letter to Ada?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)