|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Van think about the relativistic idea of space-time?
(a) He rejects it.
(b) He thinks it is both true and false simultaneously.
(c) He thinks it is partially true.
(d) He embraces it.
2. What did Van think was in the secret drawer in the secretaire at Ardis Hall?
(a) Ada and Lucette's grandmother's love letters.
(b) Ada and Lucette's grandfather's pistol.
(c) Ada and Lucette's great-uncle's cigars.
(d) Ada and Lucette's secret diaries.
3. What does the newspaper Van's father is reading at the airport say?
(a) Cyprus Compromises.
(b) Crimea Capitulates.
(c) Romania Reconsiders.
(d) Dominica Dominates.
4. What does Van invite Lucette to do?
(a) Go out to dinner with him and spend the night.
(b) Come stay at his Manhattan flat with him.
(c) Come to Ardis Hall with him.
(d) Travel with him to Paris and London.
5. What name does Van have for frightening dreams?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Van see on the train?
2. Where is Lucette staying in New York?
3. How does Van feel about Ada when he first sees her after her husband's death?
4. What is Van's purpose in writing his book about time?
5. What is Lucette studying in 1892?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Van respond to an invitation to dine at the Captain's table?
2. What does Van propose about the future in his treatise on time?
3. Why does Van need to go back for more surgery?
4. What tragedy happened at the Villa Venus in Souvenir, Missouri?
5. What were the reviews of Van's first book like?
6. What does Van say is as common in dreams as metaphors are in poetry?
7. How did Percy de Prey die?
8. What excuse does Van make up to have time alone with Ada?
9. What does Van give to Lucette in exchange for the name of the man who wants to marry her?
10. How does Van remember his three farewell lectures on Bergson's Time?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)