|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mr. Gromwell?
(a) Ada's lover.
(b) Lucette's doctor.
(c) Van's lawyer.
(d) Demon's business partner.
2. What does the research assistant leave near Muldoon that reveals the blind man perceives colors?
(a) A prism.
(b) Colored pencils.
(d) Colored lights.
3. Where does Van track down Rack?
(a) Van tracks down Rack at a hotel, where he is with a lover.
(b) Van finds Rack at his music shop.
(c) Rack is at his children's school when Van finds him.
(d) Rack is in the hospital where Van is sent.
4. What are the "three C's" Lucette says were talked about at Ada's house?
(a) Children, country, and complaints.
(b) Cubism, communism, and cabaret.
(c) Cactuses, cattle, and cooking.
(d) Comedy, Coleridge, and cabbage.
5. What does Dorothy come to believe about Van?
(a) That he's secretly in love with Dorothy.
(b) That he's helping Ada meet a divorce lawyer.
(c) That he's helping Ada arrange to meet a lover.
(d) That he's Ada's lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kim Beuharnais use to extort money from Ada?
2. Who is Van's second for the duel?
3. What did Van think was in the secret drawer in the secretaire at Ardis Hall?
4. Where does Demon say that Lucette was, when he let her know about Dan's death?
5. Who does Van see on the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Van propose about the future in his treatise on time?
2. What exercise in memory does Van attempt, which he also gives to his patients?
3. What is Cordula's conversation like?
4. What tragedy happened at the Villa Venus in Souvenir, Missouri?
5. Why does Van think he is sterile?
6. How does Van respond to an invitation to dine at the Captain's table?
7. What does Van write about in his unsent letter to Ada?
8. How does Demon discover that Van is living with Ada?
9. How did Percy de Prey die?
10. What does Van say is as common in dreams as metaphors are in poetry?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)