|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Van spend his free time while he is staying at Cordula's?
(a) The public library.
(b) The university.
(c) The art museum.
(d) The local park.
2. What causes Eberthella Brown to spill her coffee?
(a) A ringing phone.
(b) A rude joke.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A caterpillar.
3. After meeting with Demon, does Van believe he should part with Ada?
(a) Yes, he writes a letter that says so.
(b) No, he doesn't care about what society thinks.
(c) No, but he will part from Ada if she wants it.
(d) Yes, but he will leave the decision to Ada.
4. What does Van not bother to put on before heading out to meet Ada?
(b) A hat.
(c) A jacket.
(d) A tie.
5. Why does Van give bribes to the janitor at his building?
(a) So the janitor won't distribute the photos he's taken of Van.
(b) So the janitor will deliver food and do other errands for Van.
(c) So the janitor won't give out any information about the Veens.
(d) So the janitor will fix problems in his apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cordula doing the first time Van tries to walk on his hands after his injury?
2. What does Van term the act of pausing and sending the mind slightly backwards, to examine the moment of the present?
3. How does Demon die?
4. What symptom causes Andrey to go to the doctor?
5. What restaurant do Cordula and Van order food from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What excuse does Van make up to have time alone with Ada?
2. How does Van respond to Ada's arrival?
3. How does Van remember his three farewell lectures on Bergson's Time?
4. What does Lucette say about Ada's hands?
5. When Ada telephones Van, what does she tell him?
6. How does Van characterize to Greg his relationship with Ada?
7. What metaphor does Van use for trying to understand time?
8. How does Demon discover that Van is living with Ada?
9. What plan does Lucette propose to Van?
10. How does Van respond to an invitation to dine at the Captain's table?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)