|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Van keep Ada's communications for fifty years?
(a) Inside a book of flowers.
(b) A safe in a Swiss bank.
(c) A safe in his library.
(d) Inside his pillow.
2. What is Van doing while he stays at Cordula's?
(a) Learning to master chess.
(b) Composing songs.
(c) Beginning to learn to paint.
(d) Beginning to write his first book.
3. Who chooses the girls at Villa Venus?
(a) David van Veen.
(b) A beautiful, lesbian house-mother.
(c) The Head Venus Luminary.
(d) Councils of Elderly Noblemen.
4. Does Ada allow Van to send his apologetic letter to Lucette?
(a) No, she rips it up and throws it away.
(b) No, but he secretly sends it anyway.
(c) Yes, but reluctantly and with a critical postscript.
(d) Yes, she feels the same as he does.
5. When Demon is sixty, how old is his Spanish lover?
Short Answer Questions
1. What department does Van study in at Kingston University, Mayne, in the Fall of 1892?
2. What is Cordula doing the first time Van tries to walk on his hands after his injury?
3. Who does Van challenge to a duel?
4. What does Van think about the relativistic idea of space-time?
5. To what drink does Van attribute his boyish look?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Demon discover that Van is living with Ada?
2. What were the reviews of Van's first book like?
3. In Marina's last days, why is Van planning a trip to America?
4. What does Van give to Lucette in exchange for the name of the man who wants to marry her?
5. What does Van plan to do in the duel?
6. How does Van characterize to Greg his relationship with Ada?
7. What excuse does Van make up to have time alone with Ada?
8. How does Van remember his three farewell lectures on Bergson's Time?
9. What does Van write about in his unsent letter to Ada?
10. What is Van's opinion of acting?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)