|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Van developed a test for?
(a) Determining happiness.
(b) Determining age.
(c) Determining virginity.
(d) Determining pregnancy.
2. After meeting with Demon, does Van believe he should part with Ada?
(a) Yes, he writes a letter that says so.
(b) No, he doesn't care about what society thinks.
(c) Yes, but he will leave the decision to Ada.
(d) No, but he will part from Ada if she wants it.
3. What occurs as Van enters the hotel to meet Ada?
(a) He runs into a door.
(b) He runs into a small child.
(c) He trips over a suitcase.
(d) He is hit by a ball.
4. Who quips to Veen that he doesn't really need two women?
5. What names does Nabokov use for the world of the novel?
(a) Terrafirma and Terraductile.
(b) Demonia and Antiterra.
(c) Shadia and Paradisia.
(d) Elysium and Hel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does Ada's husband die?
2. Which of the following is NOT the name of one of Van's books?
3. How does Van feel about Ada when he first sees her after her husband's death?
4. What is Van's purpose in writing his book about time?
5. How does Lucette say she feels when she runs into Van?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Van do after leaving Demon?
2. In Marina's last days, why is Van planning a trip to America?
3. What does Van propose about the future in his treatise on time?
4. What metaphor does Van use for trying to understand time?
5. What does Van plan to do in the duel?
6. What does Cordula tell Van about Vanda Broom?
7. How does Van remember his three farewell lectures on Bergson's Time?
8. What exercise in memory does Van attempt, which he also gives to his patients?
9. What does Van say is as common in dreams as metaphors are in poetry?
10. What were the reviews of Van's first book like?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)