|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does VPL stand for?
(a) Very Private Letters.
(b) Veen Partners Limited.
(c) Variegated Plastic Linings.
(d) Valuing Personal Liabilities.
2. What type of fur coat does Ada wear?
(a) Sea otter.
3. Who does Van write a letter to, to be sent in case he is killed in the duel?
(a) His father.
4. What is Van's earliest memory?
(a) A dog running off with his toy.
(b) A chunk of plaster falling into his cradle.
(c) The smell of bacon and coffee.
(d) His father pacing back and forth before his crib.
5. What day does Ada's husband die?
(a) April 23.
(b) February 6.
(c) August 30.
(d) July 18.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ada think of Van's change in weight?
2. What names does Nabokov use for the world of the novel?
3. Who does Van have read and forward his letter to Ada about Lucette's death?
4. What does Van invite Lucette to do?
5. What name does Van have for frightening dreams?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Van gain the post of Rattner Chair of Philosophy at University of Kingston?
2. How does Van respond to an invitation to dine at the Captain's table?
3. What does Van write about in his unsent letter to Ada?
4. How does Demon discover that Van is living with Ada?
5. Why does Van think he is sterile?
6. What excuse does Van make up to have time alone with Ada?
7. In Marina's last days, why is Van planning a trip to America?
8. What is Cordula's conversation like?
9. How does Van characterize to Greg his relationship with Ada?
10. What does Van say is as common in dreams as metaphors are in poetry?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)