|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After meeting with Demon, does Van believe he should part with Ada?
(a) Yes, he writes a letter that says so.
(b) No, but he will part from Ada if she wants it.
(c) No, he doesn't care about what society thinks.
(d) Yes, but he will leave the decision to Ada.
2. Who does the woman on the boat mistake Van for?
(a) Drew Dawson.
(b) Avery Andrews.
(c) Vivian Vale.
(d) Sidney Star.
3. What restaurant do Cordula and Van order food from?
4. What does Van see in Lucette's handbag?
(a) A green handkerchief.
(b) A blue envelope.
(c) A red jewel box.
(d) A yellow laquered mirror.
5. What symptom causes Andrey to go to the doctor?
(a) He has piercing headaches.
(b) He coughs up blood.
(c) His right arm is numb.
(d) He gets dizzy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does Ada's husband die?
2. On what deck of the boat does Van initially find Lucette?
3. What does Dorothy come to believe about Van?
4. What name does Van have for frightening dreams?
5. What phrase does Ana use repetitively throughout her first communication with Van?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Van write about in his unsent letter to Ada?
2. What does Ada's letter say she will do if Van doesn't allow her to come live with him?
3. When Ada telephones Van, what does she tell him?
4. In Marina's last days, why is Van planning a trip to America?
5. What does Van do after leaving Demon?
6. How does Van characterize to Greg his relationship with Ada?
7. How does Van respond to Ada's arrival?
8. What were the reviews of Van's first book like?
9. What does Van say is as common in dreams as metaphors are in poetry?
10. What metaphor does Van use for trying to understand time?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)