|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What names does Nabokov use for the world of the novel?
(a) Shadia and Paradisia.
(b) Elysium and Hel.
(c) Terrafirma and Terraductile.
(d) Demonia and Antiterra.
2. How does the blind Spencer Muldoon describe colors?
(a) As "fat" or "thin."
(b) As "expansive" or "internal."
(c) As "big" or "small."
(d) As "strong" or "weak."
3. How many copies of Van's book are sold in the first year?
(c) Six hundred.
(d) Six thousand.
4. Where does Demon say that Lucette was, when he let her know about Dan's death?
5. What did the artillery officer played by Kim Eskimossoff do for comic effect?
(a) Took photographs.
(b) Shot a gun.
(c) Juggled objects.
6. Who is Van's second for the duel?
7. What does Van say it's wrong to confuse time with?
8. What sense does Van relate to time?
9. What part does Ada play in the film "The Young and the Doomed"?
(a) A barmaid.
(b) A governess.
(c) A murdering widow.
(d) A pair of twins.
10. Why does Van give bribes to the janitor at his building?
(a) So the janitor won't distribute the photos he's taken of Van.
(b) So the janitor will fix problems in his apartment.
(c) So the janitor will deliver food and do other errands for Van.
(d) So the janitor won't give out any information about the Veens.
11. What is Cordula doing the first time Van tries to walk on his hands after his injury?
(a) She is in the bath.
(b) She is sleeping.
(c) She is brushing her hair.
(d) She is reading a book.
12. What does Ada think of Van's change in weight?
(a) She dislikes that he's grown fat.
(b) She likes that there's more of him.
(c) She likes that he's grown skinny.
(d) She thinks he's so skinny, he'll fade away.
13. When Demon is sixty, how old is his Spanish lover?
14. In the central photograph on a page of small images, what is the only part of Ada that's visible?
(a) Her knee.
(b) Her foot.
(c) Her arm.
(d) Her hand.
15. What kind of fish does Lucette have when she and Van go to lunch?
Short Answer Questions
1. What restaurant do Cordula and Van order food from?
2. What causes Eberthella Brown to spill her coffee?
3. Does Ada allow Van to send his apologetic letter to Lucette?
4. What does VPL stand for?
5. What is the best Franco-Estonian restaurant in Manhattan Major?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)