|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Van not bother to put on before heading out to meet Ada?
(a) A jacket.
(c) A hat.
(d) A tie.
2. On what deck of the boat does Van initially find Lucette?
(a) The forecastle deck.
(b) The main deck.
(c) The promeade deck.
(d) The sun deck.
3. What feeling does Van have while he tries to walk on his hands?
(a) That, while inverted, he is walking on Terra.
(b) That his neck is as versatile as a tail.
(c) That his left arm is shorter than his right.
(d) That his arms are disconnected from his body.
4. After meeting with Demon, does Van believe he should part with Ada?
(a) Yes, he writes a letter that says so.
(b) No, he doesn't care about what society thinks.
(c) Yes, but he will leave the decision to Ada.
(d) No, but he will part from Ada if she wants it.
5. What does Van term the act of pausing and sending the mind slightly backwards, to examine the moment of the present?
(a) Deliberate Present.
(b) Prolonged Present.
(c) Considered Present.
(d) Traveled Present.
6. What part does Ada play in the film "The Young and the Doomed"?
(a) A barmaid.
(b) A murdering widow.
(c) A pair of twins.
(d) A governess.
7. What does the newspaper Van's father is reading at the airport say?
(a) Romania Reconsiders.
(b) Crimea Capitulates.
(c) Dominica Dominates.
(d) Cyprus Compromises.
8. What name does Van have for frightening dreams?
9. What day does Ada's husband die?
(a) August 30.
(b) April 23.
(c) July 18.
(d) February 6.
10. What does Van see in Lucette's handbag?
(a) A red jewel box.
(b) A green handkerchief.
(c) A blue envelope.
(d) A yellow laquered mirror.
11. Who does Van challenge to a duel?
(a) A duke who steps on his toes on the train.
(b) A belhop who drops his luggage at the hotel.
(c) A captain he accidentally bumps into leaving the train.
(d) A waiter who addresses him insolently at dinner.
12. What does Ada think of Van's change in weight?
(a) She thinks he's so skinny, he'll fade away.
(b) She likes that he's grown skinny.
(c) She likes that there's more of him.
(d) She dislikes that he's grown fat.
13. Who chooses the girls at Villa Venus?
(a) David van Veen.
(b) Councils of Elderly Noblemen.
(c) A beautiful, lesbian house-mother.
(d) The Head Venus Luminary.
14. Why does Demon not want to turn Van over to the authorities for incest?
(a) He doesn't believe Van has done anything wrong.
(b) He doesn't want the publicity.
(c) He doesn't want to hurt Ada.
(d) He doesn't want Van punished.
15. What is the best Franco-Estonian restaurant in Manhattan Major?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Van insist on doing to avoid going to bed the first night on the cruise?
2. Who is Mr. Gromwell?
3. What are the "three C's" Lucette says were talked about at Ada's house?
4. What does Kim Beuharnais use to extort money from Ada?
5. What does Van tell Lucette when she calls to ask to come to his room?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)