|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Van tell Lucette when she calls to ask to come to his room?
(a) That he's going to sleep.
(b) That he doesn't want to see her.
(c) That he's going out.
(d) That he's not alone.
2. Why does Demon not want to turn Van over to the authorities for incest?
(a) He doesn't want to hurt Ada.
(b) He doesn't believe Van has done anything wrong.
(c) He doesn't want the publicity.
(d) He doesn't want Van punished.
3. Who does the woman on the boat mistake Van for?
(a) Drew Dawson.
(b) Sidney Star.
(c) Vivian Vale.
(d) Avery Andrews.
4. What is Van's purpose in writing his book about time?
(a) To make money.
(b) To make clear to the world the reality of time he's discovered.
(c) To model with time the evolution of love.
(d) To clarify his own understanding of time.
5. What word does Greg seem to like to use?
6. What example does Van use in discussing order or succession in our perception of the past?
(a) Remembering what he had to eat on previous days.
(b) Remembering what days to take medicine.
(c) Remembering whether his razor has been used once or twice.
(d) Remembering whether he has previously worn a tie.
7. After meeting with Demon, does Van believe he should part with Ada?
(a) Yes, but he will leave the decision to Ada.
(b) No, but he will part from Ada if she wants it.
(c) Yes, he writes a letter that says so.
(d) No, he doesn't care about what society thinks.
8. What is Cordula doing the first time Van tries to walk on his hands after his injury?
(a) She is sleeping.
(b) She is in the bath.
(c) She is brushing her hair.
(d) She is reading a book.
9. To what drink does Van attribute his boyish look?
10. What does Eric envision as the yearly fee for membership in Villa Venus?
(a) 3650 guineas.
(b) 1825 guineas.
(c) 7300 guineas.
(d) 5475 guineas.
11. Who chooses the girls at Villa Venus?
(a) Councils of Elderly Noblemen.
(b) David van Veen.
(c) A beautiful, lesbian house-mother.
(d) The Head Venus Luminary.
12. How does Van feel about Ada when he first sees her after her husband's death?
(a) He is excited and can't wait to get her alone.
(b) He is frightened yet tantalized by her.
(c) He is depressed with her lack of changes.
(d) He is put off by the physical changes in her.
13. What day does Ada's husband die?
(a) February 6.
(b) August 30.
(c) July 18.
(d) April 23.
14. How does Lucette say she feels when she runs into Van?
(a) Happy and sad.
(b) Angry and bitter.
(c) Relieved and guilty.
(d) Annoyed but grateful.
15. What does Kim Beuharnais use to extort money from Ada?
(a) Photography of her and Rank.
(b) Photographs of her and Van.
(c) Photographs of her and Lucette.
(d) Photographs of her and Percy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Van doing while he stays at Cordula's?
2. What does Van think about the relativistic idea of space-time?
3. Where is Lucette staying in New York?
4. What does the research assistant leave near Muldoon that reveals the blind man perceives colors?
5. How long does Van tell Demon his affair with Ada has been going on?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)