|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occurs as Van enters the hotel to meet Ada?
(a) He trips over a suitcase.
(b) He runs into a small child.
(c) He runs into a door.
(d) He is hit by a ball.
2. What example does Van use in discussing order or succession in our perception of the past?
(a) Remembering whether his razor has been used once or twice.
(b) Remembering whether he has previously worn a tie.
(c) Remembering what days to take medicine.
(d) Remembering what he had to eat on previous days.
3. What part does Ada play in the film "The Young and the Doomed"?
(a) A murdering widow.
(b) A governess.
(c) A barmaid.
(d) A pair of twins.
4. What is the best Franco-Estonian restaurant in Manhattan Major?
5. What are the "three C's" Lucette says were talked about at Ada's house?
(a) Children, country, and complaints.
(b) Cubism, communism, and cabaret.
(c) Cactuses, cattle, and cooking.
(d) Comedy, Coleridge, and cabbage.
6. What does Van not bother to put on before heading out to meet Ada?
(a) A jacket.
(b) A hat.
(d) A tie.
7. What names does Nabokov use for the world of the novel?
(a) Terrafirma and Terraductile.
(b) Shadia and Paradisia.
(c) Elysium and Hel.
(d) Demonia and Antiterra.
8. On what deck of the boat does Van initially find Lucette?
(a) The promeade deck.
(b) The sun deck.
(c) The main deck.
(d) The forecastle deck.
9. What does the research assistant leave near Muldoon that reveals the blind man perceives colors?
(a) A prism.
(b) Colored pencils.
(c) Colored lights.
10. How does the blind Spencer Muldoon describe colors?
(a) As "strong" or "weak."
(b) As "big" or "small."
(c) As "fat" or "thin."
(d) As "expansive" or "internal."
11. What has Van developed a test for?
(a) Determining virginity.
(b) Determining pregnancy.
(c) Determining age.
(d) Determining happiness.
12. What does Ada think of Van's change in weight?
(a) She thinks he's so skinny, he'll fade away.
(b) She likes that he's grown skinny.
(c) She likes that there's more of him.
(d) She dislikes that he's grown fat.
13. Who quips to Veen that he doesn't really need two women?
14. What is Lucette studying in 1892?
(a) History of Art.
(b) History of Music.
(c) History of Literature.
(d) History of Philosophy.
15. Where does Van spend his free time while he is staying at Cordula's?
(a) The university.
(b) The local park.
(c) The public library.
(d) The art museum.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Van feel about Ada when he first sees her after her husband's death?
2. Why does Van give bribes to the janitor at his building?
3. What does Van think about the relativistic idea of space-time?
4. After meeting with Demon, does Van believe he should part with Ada?
5. What department does Van study in at Kingston University, Mayne, in the Fall of 1892?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)