|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Demon is sixty, how old is his Spanish lover?
2. What is Cordula doing the first time Van tries to walk on his hands after his injury?
(a) She is brushing her hair.
(b) She is in the bath.
(c) She is sleeping.
(d) She is reading a book.
3. What does Kim Beuharnais use to extort money from Ada?
(a) Photographs of her and Van.
(b) Photographs of her and Lucette.
(c) Photography of her and Rank.
(d) Photographs of her and Percy.
4. How does Van feel about Ada when he first sees her after her husband's death?
(a) He is put off by the physical changes in her.
(b) He is frightened yet tantalized by her.
(c) He is excited and can't wait to get her alone.
(d) He is depressed with her lack of changes.
5. Who does the woman on the boat mistake Van for?
(a) Vivian Vale.
(b) Sidney Star.
(c) Avery Andrews.
(d) Drew Dawson.
6. Which of the following is NOT the name of one of Van's books?
(a) Furnished Space.
(c) The Texture of Time.
7. Where does Van spend his free time while he is staying at Cordula's?
(a) The university.
(b) The public library.
(c) The local park.
(d) The art museum.
8. What are the "three C's" Lucette says were talked about at Ada's house?
(a) Comedy, Coleridge, and cabbage.
(b) Cubism, communism, and cabaret.
(c) Children, country, and complaints.
(d) Cactuses, cattle, and cooking.
9. What is the best Franco-Estonian restaurant in Manhattan Major?
10. Who does Van challenge to a duel?
(a) A duke who steps on his toes on the train.
(b) A belhop who drops his luggage at the hotel.
(c) A captain he accidentally bumps into leaving the train.
(d) A waiter who addresses him insolently at dinner.
11. Why does Van give bribes to the janitor at his building?
(a) So the janitor will fix problems in his apartment.
(b) So the janitor won't give out any information about the Veens.
(c) So the janitor will deliver food and do other errands for Van.
(d) So the janitor won't distribute the photos he's taken of Van.
12. What restaurant do Cordula and Van order food from?
13. Who quips to Veen that he doesn't really need two women?
14. Who is Van's second for the duel?
15. What does Van insist on doing to avoid going to bed the first night on the cruise?
(a) Going to a pool party.
(b) Going to a dance.
(c) Seeing a comedy show.
(d) Seeing a film.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the artillery officer played by Kim Eskimossoff do for comic effect?
2. What two kinds of dreams does Van generally have?
3. What is Lucette studying in 1892?
4. Where does Demon say that Lucette was, when he let her know about Dan's death?
5. Does Ada allow Van to send his apologetic letter to Lucette?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)