|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Ada feel about acting tips from Marina?
(a) They were useless and idiotic.
(b) They were extremely beneficial.
(c) They were somewhat helpful but few.
(d) They were insulting and sarcastic.
2. What does Van invite Lucette to do?
(a) Go out to dinner with him and spend the night.
(b) Come stay at his Manhattan flat with him.
(c) Travel with him to Paris and London.
(d) Come to Ardis Hall with him.
3. What does the newspaper Van's father is reading at the airport say?
(a) Dominica Dominates.
(b) Cyprus Compromises.
(c) Crimea Capitulates.
(d) Romania Reconsiders.
4. What does Van see in Lucette's handbag?
(a) A blue envelope.
(b) A red jewel box.
(c) A yellow laquered mirror.
(d) A green handkerchief.
5. Who is Van's second for the duel?
6. What type of fur coat does Ada wear?
(c) Sea otter.
7. What does Van not bother to put on before heading out to meet Ada?
(a) A jacket.
(b) A hat.
(c) A tie.
8. Which of the following is NOT the name of one of Van's books?
(c) Furnished Space.
(d) The Texture of Time.
9. Who chooses the girls at Villa Venus?
(a) A beautiful, lesbian house-mother.
(b) David van Veen.
(c) The Head Venus Luminary.
(d) Councils of Elderly Noblemen.
10. What names does Nabokov use for the world of the novel?
(a) Demonia and Antiterra.
(b) Terrafirma and Terraductile.
(c) Shadia and Paradisia.
(d) Elysium and Hel.
11. After meeting with Demon, does Van believe he should part with Ada?
(a) Yes, he writes a letter that says so.
(b) Yes, but he will leave the decision to Ada.
(c) No, but he will part from Ada if she wants it.
(d) No, he doesn't care about what society thinks.
12. What does the research assistant leave near Muldoon that reveals the blind man perceives colors?
(b) A prism.
(c) Colored pencils.
(d) Colored lights.
13. At the Villa Venus where Van goes for the last time, what causes the grand piano to play?
14. Who does the woman on the boat mistake Van for?
(a) Sidney Star.
(b) Drew Dawson.
(c) Vivian Vale.
(d) Avery Andrews.
15. What does Ada think of Van's change in weight?
(a) She thinks he's so skinny, he'll fade away.
(b) She likes that he's grown skinny.
(c) She likes that there's more of him.
(d) She dislikes that he's grown fat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the "three C's" Lucette says were talked about at Ada's house?
2. What does Kim Beuharnais use to extort money from Ada?
3. What was Van's first novel called?
4. How many copies of Van's book are sold in the first year?
5. Who does Van challenge to a duel?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)