|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kim Beuharnais use to extort money from Ada?
(a) Photography of her and Rank.
(b) Photographs of her and Lucette.
(c) Photographs of her and Van.
(d) Photographs of her and Percy.
2. Who does Van write a letter to, to be sent in case he is killed in the duel?
(a) His father.
3. How long does Van spend in Cordula's Manhattan flat?
(a) A week.
(b) A month.
(c) Six months.
(d) A year.
4. What word does Greg seem to like to use?
5. What did the artillery officer played by Kim Eskimossoff do for comic effect?
(a) Shot a gun.
(c) Took photographs.
(d) Juggled objects.
6. What department does Van study in at Kingston University, Mayne, in the Fall of 1892?
(a) Art Terrapy Department.
(b) Terraputic Development Department.
(c) Department of Terrapy.
(d) Department of New Terrapists.
7. How did Ada feel about acting tips from Marina?
(a) They were extremely beneficial.
(b) They were insulting and sarcastic.
(c) They were somewhat helpful but few.
(d) They were useless and idiotic.
8. What phrase does Ana use repetitively throughout her first communication with Van?
(a) I miss you.
(b) I love you.
(c) I implore you.
(d) I need you.
9. How does Van feel about Ada when he first sees her after her husband's death?
(a) He is depressed with her lack of changes.
(b) He is put off by the physical changes in her.
(c) He is frightened yet tantalized by her.
(d) He is excited and can't wait to get her alone.
10. What does the newspaper Van's father is reading at the airport say?
(a) Cyprus Compromises.
(b) Romania Reconsiders.
(c) Crimea Capitulates.
(d) Dominica Dominates.
11. What restaurant do Cordula and Van order food from?
12. What does Van see in Lucette's handbag?
(a) A yellow laquered mirror.
(b) A green handkerchief.
(c) A red jewel box.
(d) A blue envelope.
13. What is Van's earliest memory?
(a) A chunk of plaster falling into his cradle.
(b) His father pacing back and forth before his crib.
(c) A dog running off with his toy.
(d) The smell of bacon and coffee.
14. What does Van tell Lucette when she calls to ask to come to his room?
(a) That he's going to sleep.
(b) That he doesn't want to see her.
(c) That he's going out.
(d) That he's not alone.
15. Who does Van challenge to a duel?
(a) A captain he accidentally bumps into leaving the train.
(b) A waiter who addresses him insolently at dinner.
(c) A belhop who drops his luggage at the hotel.
(d) A duke who steps on his toes on the train.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Van think was in the secret drawer in the secretaire at Ardis Hall?
2. To what drink does Van attribute his boyish look?
3. Who is Van's second for the duel?
4. What occurs as Van enters the hotel to meet Ada?
5. What does Van term the act of pausing and sending the mind slightly backwards, to examine the moment of the present?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)