|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what deck of the boat does Van initially find Lucette?
(a) The forecastle deck.
(b) The promeade deck.
(c) The sun deck.
(d) The main deck.
2. Where does Van keep Ada's communications for fifty years?
(a) Inside his pillow.
(b) A safe in his library.
(c) Inside a book of flowers.
(d) A safe in a Swiss bank.
3. Who does the woman on the boat mistake Van for?
(a) Sidney Star.
(b) Drew Dawson.
(c) Vivian Vale.
(d) Avery Andrews.
4. What is Cordula doing when Van runs into her?
(a) Talking to dogs.
(b) Buying flowers.
(c) Coddling a baby.
(d) Carrying groceries.
5. What word does Greg seem to like to use?
6. What phrase does Ana use repetitively throughout her first communication with Van?
(a) I implore you.
(b) I miss you.
(c) I need you.
(d) I love you.
7. What is Van's earliest memory?
(a) His father pacing back and forth before his crib.
(b) A dog running off with his toy.
(c) The smell of bacon and coffee.
(d) A chunk of plaster falling into his cradle.
8. How does Van feel about Ada when he first sees her after her husband's death?
(a) He is put off by the physical changes in her.
(b) He is depressed with her lack of changes.
(c) He is excited and can't wait to get her alone.
(d) He is frightened yet tantalized by her.
9. What are the "three C's" Lucette says were talked about at Ada's house?
(a) Cactuses, cattle, and cooking.
(b) Children, country, and complaints.
(c) Cubism, communism, and cabaret.
(d) Comedy, Coleridge, and cabbage.
10. Who does Van challenge to a duel?
(a) A duke who steps on his toes on the train.
(b) A captain he accidentally bumps into leaving the train.
(c) A belhop who drops his luggage at the hotel.
(d) A waiter who addresses him insolently at dinner.
11. What is done with Marina's body after she dies?
(a) It is donated to science.
(b) It is buried at Ardis Hall.
(c) It is buried next to her husband.
(d) It is cremated.
12. To what drink does Van attribute his boyish look?
13. What does Van tell Lucette when she calls to ask to come to his room?
(a) That he's not alone.
(b) That he doesn't want to see her.
(c) That he's going out.
(d) That he's going to sleep.
14. What example does Van use in discussing order or succession in our perception of the past?
(a) Remembering what he had to eat on previous days.
(b) Remembering what days to take medicine.
(c) Remembering whether he has previously worn a tie.
(d) Remembering whether his razor has been used once or twice.
15. What does Ada think of Van's change in weight?
(a) She thinks he's so skinny, he'll fade away.
(b) She likes that there's more of him.
(c) She dislikes that he's grown fat.
(d) She likes that he's grown skinny.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Van developed a test for?
2. What does Ada suggest that she and Van should do in a few days, after she finishes her business in Geneva?
3. Where does Van spend his free time while he is staying at Cordula's?
4. What is Van's purpose in writing his book about time?
5. What is Lucette studying in 1892?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)