|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the best Franco-Estonian restaurant in Manhattan Major?
2. What is Cordula doing when Van runs into her?
(a) Coddling a baby.
(b) Carrying groceries.
(c) Talking to dogs.
(d) Buying flowers.
3. When Demon is sixty, how old is his Spanish lover?
4. What was Van's first novel called?
(a) In the Three-Ninth Kingdom.
(b) Les enfants.
(c) Letters from Terra.
(d) Ardors in Ardis.
5. What has Van developed a test for?
(a) Determining happiness.
(b) Determining pregnancy.
(c) Determining virginity.
(d) Determining age.
6. Where does Van keep Ada's communications for fifty years?
(a) A safe in his library.
(b) Inside his pillow.
(c) A safe in a Swiss bank.
(d) Inside a book of flowers.
7. What department does Van study in at Kingston University, Mayne, in the Fall of 1892?
(a) Department of New Terrapists.
(b) Art Terrapy Department.
(c) Department of Terrapy.
(d) Terraputic Development Department.
8. What day does Ada's husband die?
(a) April 23.
(b) August 30.
(c) July 18.
(d) February 6.
9. Who is Mr. Gromwell?
(a) Ada's lover.
(b) Van's lawyer.
(c) Demon's business partner.
(d) Lucette's doctor.
10. What does Van term the act of pausing and sending the mind slightly backwards, to examine the moment of the present?
(a) Prolonged Present.
(b) Deliberate Present.
(c) Considered Present.
(d) Traveled Present.
11. Why does Van give bribes to the janitor at his building?
(a) So the janitor will deliver food and do other errands for Van.
(b) So the janitor won't give out any information about the Veens.
(c) So the janitor won't distribute the photos he's taken of Van.
(d) So the janitor will fix problems in his apartment.
12. What phrase does Ana use repetitively throughout her first communication with Van?
(a) I need you.
(b) I love you.
(c) I implore you.
(d) I miss you.
13. What type of fur coat does Ada wear?
(c) Sea otter.
14. On what deck of the boat does Van initially find Lucette?
(a) The sun deck.
(b) The main deck.
(c) The forecastle deck.
(d) The promeade deck.
15. What is done with Marina's body after she dies?
(a) It is buried at Ardis Hall.
(b) It is buried next to her husband.
(c) It is cremated.
(d) It is donated to science.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the central photograph on a page of small images, what is the only part of Ada that's visible?
2. Who chooses the girls at Villa Venus?
3. What color is Van's terrycloth robe?
4. What two kinds of dreams does Van generally have?
5. What does Ada suggest that she and Van should do in a few days, after she finishes her business in Geneva?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)