|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the Villa Venus where Van goes for the last time, what causes the grand piano to play?
2. What does Van see in Lucette's handbag?
(a) A yellow laquered mirror.
(b) A blue envelope.
(c) A red jewel box.
(d) A green handkerchief.
3. Where is Lucette staying in New York?
(a) Van's apartment.
(b) A rented brownstone.
(c) The Winster Hotel for Young Ladies.
(d) The Savoy Hotel.
4. How does Ada introduce her husband to Van?
(a) She gives his full, formal name.
(b) She forgets to introduce him.
(c) She gives a familiar nickname.
(d) She calls him her husband.
5. Where does Van spend his free time while he is staying at Cordula's?
(a) The local park.
(b) The art museum.
(c) The university.
(d) The public library.
6. What two kinds of dreams does Van generally have?
(a) Lucid and unremembered dreams.
(b) Professional and erotic dreams.
(c) Frightening and entrancing dreams.
(d) Exotic and mundane dreams.
7. What feeling does Van have while he tries to walk on his hands?
(a) That his neck is as versatile as a tail.
(b) That, while inverted, he is walking on Terra.
(c) That his left arm is shorter than his right.
(d) That his arms are disconnected from his body.
8. Who does Van see on the train?
(a) His father.
(d) Uncle Dan.
9. When Demon is sixty, how old is his Spanish lover?
10. What restaurant do Cordula and Van order food from?
11. What is the best Franco-Estonian restaurant in Manhattan Major?
12. What names does Nabokov use for the world of the novel?
(a) Shadia and Paradisia.
(b) Terrafirma and Terraductile.
(c) Elysium and Hel.
(d) Demonia and Antiterra.
13. What does Van think about the relativistic idea of space-time?
(a) He embraces it.
(b) He thinks it is both true and false simultaneously.
(c) He rejects it.
(d) He thinks it is partially true.
14. How did Ada feel about acting tips from Marina?
(a) They were somewhat helpful but few.
(b) They were extremely beneficial.
(c) They were insulting and sarcastic.
(d) They were useless and idiotic.
15. What causes Eberthella Brown to spill her coffee?
(a) A rude joke.
(b) A caterpillar.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A ringing phone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does Ada's husband die?
2. Which of the following is NOT the name of one of Van's books?
3. What does Kim Beuharnais use to extort money from Ada?
4. What name does Van have for frightening dreams?
5. How long does Van spend in Cordula's Manhattan flat?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)