|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Demon not want to turn Van over to the authorities for incest?
(a) He doesn't want to hurt Ada.
(b) He doesn't want the publicity.
(c) He doesn't believe Van has done anything wrong.
(d) He doesn't want Van punished.
2. What does Ada think of Van's change in weight?
(a) She dislikes that he's grown fat.
(b) She thinks he's so skinny, he'll fade away.
(c) She likes that he's grown skinny.
(d) She likes that there's more of him.
3. What is Van doing while he stays at Cordula's?
(a) Beginning to write his first book.
(b) Composing songs.
(c) Beginning to learn to paint.
(d) Learning to master chess.
4. What does VPL stand for?
(a) Veen Partners Limited.
(b) Very Private Letters.
(c) Valuing Personal Liabilities.
(d) Variegated Plastic Linings.
5. How does Demon die?
(a) Of a stroke.
(b) Of heart failure.
(c) In an airplane accident.
(d) In a car accident.
6. What two kinds of dreams does Van generally have?
(a) Frightening and entrancing dreams.
(b) Lucid and unremembered dreams.
(c) Professional and erotic dreams.
(d) Exotic and mundane dreams.
7. What part does Ada play in the film "The Young and the Doomed"?
(a) A barmaid.
(b) A pair of twins.
(c) A murdering widow.
(d) A governess.
8. After meeting with Demon, does Van believe he should part with Ada?
(a) Yes, he writes a letter that says so.
(b) Yes, but he will leave the decision to Ada.
(c) No, he doesn't care about what society thinks.
(d) No, but he will part from Ada if she wants it.
9. Where does Van spend his free time while he is staying at Cordula's?
(a) The university.
(b) The local park.
(c) The public library.
(d) The art museum.
10. What is done with Marina's body after she dies?
(a) It is donated to science.
(b) It is cremated.
(c) It is buried at Ardis Hall.
(d) It is buried next to her husband.
11. What phrase does Ana use repetitively throughout her first communication with Van?
(a) I implore you.
(b) I need you.
(c) I love you.
(d) I miss you.
12. What names does Nabokov use for the world of the novel?
(a) Elysium and Hel.
(b) Demonia and Antiterra.
(c) Terrafirma and Terraductile.
(d) Shadia and Paradisia.
13. What feeling does Van have while he tries to walk on his hands?
(a) That his arms are disconnected from his body.
(b) That his left arm is shorter than his right.
(c) That his neck is as versatile as a tail.
(d) That, while inverted, he is walking on Terra.
14. How long does Van tell Demon his affair with Ada has been going on?
(a) Six years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Nine years.
15. What does Van invite Lucette to do?
(a) Go out to dinner with him and spend the night.
(b) Come to Ardis Hall with him.
(c) Travel with him to Paris and London.
(d) Come stay at his Manhattan flat with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the artillery officer played by Kim Eskimossoff do for comic effect?
2. What does Ada suggest that she and Van should do in a few days, after she finishes her business in Geneva?
3. What color is Van's terrycloth robe?
4. How many copies of Van's book are sold in the first year?
5. What does Dorothy come to believe about Van?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)