|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Demon not want to turn Van over to the authorities for incest?
(a) He doesn't believe Van has done anything wrong.
(b) He doesn't want Van punished.
(c) He doesn't want the publicity.
(d) He doesn't want to hurt Ada.
2. What is the best Franco-Estonian restaurant in Manhattan Major?
3. How did Ada feel about acting tips from Marina?
(a) They were extremely beneficial.
(b) They were somewhat helpful but few.
(c) They were insulting and sarcastic.
(d) They were useless and idiotic.
4. What is Cordula doing when Van runs into her?
(a) Coddling a baby.
(b) Buying flowers.
(c) Carrying groceries.
(d) Talking to dogs.
5. What word does Greg seem to like to use?
6. Who is Van's second for the duel?
7. What part does Ada play in the film "The Young and the Doomed"?
(a) A governess.
(b) A pair of twins.
(c) A murdering widow.
(d) A barmaid.
8. What occurs as Van enters the hotel to meet Ada?
(a) He is hit by a ball.
(b) He runs into a small child.
(c) He runs into a door.
(d) He trips over a suitcase.
9. What does Van not bother to put on before heading out to meet Ada?
(b) A hat.
(c) A tie.
(d) A jacket.
10. What is Van doing while he stays at Cordula's?
(a) Beginning to learn to paint.
(b) Beginning to write his first book.
(c) Composing songs.
(d) Learning to master chess.
11. What does Dorothy come to believe about Van?
(a) That he's helping Ada meet a divorce lawyer.
(b) That he's helping Ada arrange to meet a lover.
(c) That he's Ada's lover.
(d) That he's secretly in love with Dorothy.
12. Who does Van have read and forward his letter to Ada about Lucette's death?
(a) His father.
(b) His former governess.
(c) Ada's husband.
13. Who chooses the girls at Villa Venus?
(a) David van Veen.
(b) Councils of Elderly Noblemen.
(c) The Head Venus Luminary.
(d) A beautiful, lesbian house-mother.
14. Where does Van keep Ada's communications for fifty years?
(a) Inside a book of flowers.
(b) A safe in a Swiss bank.
(c) A safe in his library.
(d) Inside his pillow.
15. Does Ada allow Van to send his apologetic letter to Lucette?
(a) Yes, she feels the same as he does.
(b) No, she rips it up and throws it away.
(c) No, but he secretly sends it anyway.
(d) Yes, but reluctantly and with a critical postscript.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is done with Marina's body after she dies?
2. Where is Lucette staying in New York?
3. Who is visiting Villa Venus, causing it to be overrun with police?
4. What does Eric envision as the yearly fee for membership in Villa Venus?
5. When Demon is sixty, how old is his Spanish lover?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)