|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feeling does Van have while he tries to walk on his hands?
(a) That his arms are disconnected from his body.
(b) That his left arm is shorter than his right.
(c) That, while inverted, he is walking on Terra.
(d) That his neck is as versatile as a tail.
2. What was Van's first novel called?
(a) Ardors in Ardis.
(b) In the Three-Ninth Kingdom.
(c) Letters from Terra.
(d) Les enfants.
3. What name does Van have for frightening dreams?
4. What does Van insist on doing to avoid going to bed the first night on the cruise?
(a) Seeing a film.
(b) Going to a pool party.
(c) Going to a dance.
(d) Seeing a comedy show.
5. What has Van developed a test for?
(a) Determining pregnancy.
(b) Determining virginity.
(c) Determining happiness.
(d) Determining age.
6. What day does Ada's husband die?
(a) August 30.
(b) July 18.
(c) April 23.
(d) February 6.
7. After meeting with Demon, does Van believe he should part with Ada?
(a) No, but he will part from Ada if she wants it.
(b) Yes, he writes a letter that says so.
(c) No, he doesn't care about what society thinks.
(d) Yes, but he will leave the decision to Ada.
8. Does Ada allow Van to send his apologetic letter to Lucette?
(a) No, she rips it up and throws it away.
(b) Yes, she feels the same as he does.
(c) Yes, but reluctantly and with a critical postscript.
(d) No, but he secretly sends it anyway.
9. What does Dorothy come to believe about Van?
(a) That he's secretly in love with Dorothy.
(b) That he's Ada's lover.
(c) That he's helping Ada meet a divorce lawyer.
(d) That he's helping Ada arrange to meet a lover.
10. What is done with Marina's body after she dies?
(a) It is buried at Ardis Hall.
(b) It is cremated.
(c) It is buried next to her husband.
(d) It is donated to science.
11. How long does Van spend in Cordula's Manhattan flat?
(a) A week.
(b) A year.
(c) Six months.
(d) A month.
12. Who does Van have read and forward his letter to Ada about Lucette's death?
(a) His father.
(c) Ada's husband.
(d) His former governess.
13. Where does Demon say that Lucette was, when he let her know about Dan's death?
14. Who is Van's second for the duel?
15. What are the "three C's" Lucette says were talked about at Ada's house?
(a) Children, country, and complaints.
(b) Comedy, Coleridge, and cabbage.
(c) Cubism, communism, and cabaret.
(d) Cactuses, cattle, and cooking.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Demon die?
2. What does the research assistant leave near Muldoon that reveals the blind man perceives colors?
3. What is Cordula doing when Van runs into her?
4. What causes Eberthella Brown to spill her coffee?
5. What kind of fish does Lucette have when she and Van go to lunch?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)