|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the two kids who find Marina's pressed-flower book decide to do with it?
(a) Destroy it.
(b) Hide it.
(c) Add more flowers to it.
(d) Put it in a museum.
2. At the table at Ardis Hall, who does Lucette sit between?
(a) Van and Marina.
(b) Ada and the governess.
(c) Marina and the governess.
(d) Ada and Van.
3. In what Manhattan landmark building did Dan propose to Marina in 1871?
(a) The first Manhattan brownstone.
(b) The first commercial apartment building in Manhattan.
(c) The first ten-floor Manhattan building.
(d) The first Manhattan glass-walled building.
4. What word does the person who left the note in Van's jacket use for "dupe"?
5. Who shows Van around his aunt's house?
(b) The governness.
6. What happens to the weather during Demon's dinner with Marina, Van, and Ada?
(a) It begins to thunder and lightning.
(b) A violent windstorm errupts.
(c) It begins to hail.
(d) It begins to snow.
7. How does Van act toward Ada in Chapter 32?
(d) Overly affectionate.
8. What Russian writer is quoted in the beginning of the novel?
9. Why does Phillip Rack come upstairs, interrupting Ada and Van?
(a) To say goodbye to the family.
(b) To look for a restroom.
(c) To find a back way out of the house.
(d) To find a quiet place to lie down.
10. When writing her husband from sanatoriums, Aqua sometimes used a Russian term meaning what?
(a) Sickening sadness.
(b) Heart rending sounds.
(c) Rays of hope.
(d) Bursting memories.
11. Who fights by the edge of the brook?
(a) Van and Percy.
(b) Greg and Percy.
(c) Van and Dan.
(d) Greg and Dan.
12. What garment of clothing does Van chide Ada for not wearing?
13. Where do Ada and Van go, where Van compares Ada's body to the girlish body of the past?
(a) The stables where the horses are kept.
(b) A tumbled down tower in a meadow.
(c) A mushroom cave behind a small wood.
(d) A small island in Lake Ladore.
14. What does Baron d'Onsky try to buy from Demon?
(a) A deck of risque playing cards.
(b) A small sculpture of an apple.
(c) A picture of a nude woman.
(d) An engraved cigarette case.
15. Why does Ada tell stories at meals?
(a) To show off her superiority to Lucette.
(b) To distract herself from the awful food.
(c) To prevent her mother from overtaking the conversation.
(d) To impress Van.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marina have in her screwdrivers instead of orange juice?
2. Who is Van's first sexual experience with?
3. Who is the chaperone when Van visits Ada at school?
4. What question of Van's does Ada not answer in Chapter 12?
5. What doctor does Ada go to visit?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)