|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the table at Ardis Hall, who does Lucette sit between?
(a) Van and Marina.
(b) Ada and the governess.
(c) Marina and the governess.
(d) Ada and Van.
2. In what Manhattan landmark building did Dan propose to Marina in 1871?
(a) The first Manhattan brownstone.
(b) The first ten-floor Manhattan building.
(c) The first Manhattan glass-walled building.
(d) The first commercial apartment building in Manhattan.
3. What is the "lolita" that Ada wears?
(a) A shawl.
(b) A shirt.
(c) A skirt.
(d) A hat.
4. What does Blanche tell Van?
(a) That Marina is having an affair with Pedro.
(b) That Ada has slept with someone else.
(c) That the governess knows of Van and Ada's affair.
(d) That Lucette is planning to run away with him.
5. What does Dick give Van as payment for losing the card game?
(a) A subscription to the Chose Chase magazine.
(b) Entrance into the Venus Villa Club.
(c) A position with his father's company.
(d) A trip to Australia and Nice.
6. What stage name does Van perform under?
7. What color are Ada's eyes?
8. What word does the person who left the note in Van's jacket use for "dupe"?
9. Who walks in on Ada and Van making love?
10. Does Van talk to Ada before he leaves?
(a) No, he carefully avoids her.
(b) Yes, but he didn't plan to.
(c) No, he cannot find her.
(d) Yes, he seeks her out.
11. Who does Van think is the most obvious choice that might have given him the note?
(a) The governess.
12. Why does the governess decide to stay in bed for five days?
(a) She has broken her ankle.
(b) She has sprained her wrist.
(c) She has bruised her ribs.
(d) She has strained her back.
13. When Van takes a walk after first arriving at Ardis Hall, who does he run into?
(a) His two cousins, Ada and Lucette.
(b) His aunt and his father.
(c) Dark Veen.
(d) His former governess and his cousin Lucette.
14. What does Van dream of the night after he first has sex with Ada?
(a) Being scolded by the governess.
(c) Holding hands with Blanche.
(d) Riding a horse.
15. Why does Demon duel Baron d'Onsky?
(a) He spread rumors about Marina.
(b) He cheated Demon in a business deal.
(c) He spread rumors about Demon.
(d) He was having an affair with Marina.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Van born?
2. When Demon sees Ada, what about her appearance can he not bear?
3. What do the two kids who find Marina's pressed-flower book decide to do with it?
4. What figures are prominent in Ada's early memories of learning about male anatomy and sex?
5. What is Marina, Demon, and Daniel's shared birthday?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)