|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Ada and Van lock up Lucette, ostensibly playing hide and seek, so that they can be alone?
(a) In her bedroom.
(b) In a closet.
(c) In the attic.
(d) In a bathroom.
2. Over the thirteen years preceding Aqua's death, how much does Van calculate that he's spent with her?
(a) About nine months.
(b) About eighteen months.
(c) About three weeks.
(d) About two years.
3. What feature of Van's and Ada's is extremely similar?
(a) Their eyes.
(b) Their noses.
(c) Their hands.
(d) Their lips.
4. Why does Ada tell stories at meals?
(a) To prevent her mother from overtaking the conversation.
(b) To impress Van.
(c) To distract herself from the awful food.
(d) To show off her superiority to Lucette.
5. What was Van wearing the first time she glimpsed him, before they met?
(a) A bathing suit and green towel.
(b) A white sailor suit and blue cap.
(c) A gray shirt and shorts.
(d) A black formal suit, hat, and gloves.
6. In what language does Van write letters to his mother?
7. Does Ada promise to be faithful while Van is gone?
(a) Yes, she promises she will.
(b) No, she's not sure she can.
(c) Yes, she promises but is secretly unsure.
(d) No, she is adamant that she will not.
8. What does Blanche tell Van?
(a) That the governess knows of Van and Ada's affair.
(b) That Marina is having an affair with Pedro.
(c) That Ada has slept with someone else.
(d) That Lucette is planning to run away with him.
9. In 1888, when Van visits Ardis Hall, what gift does he carry in his pocket?
(a) A monogramed handkerchief.
(b) A diamond necklace.
(c) An engagement ring.
(d) A small, jeweled butterfly.
10. Why does Phillip Rack come upstairs, interrupting Ada and Van?
(a) To say goodbye to the family.
(b) To find a back way out of the house.
(c) To look for a restroom.
(d) To find a quiet place to lie down.
11. What does Van's father offer to try to buy for him?
(a) Ardis Hall.
(b) A car.
(c) An airplane.
(d) A Manhattan apartment.
12. How long do Van and Ada give Lucette to memorize eight lines of poetry?
(a) Twenty minutes.
(b) Ninety minutes.
(c) An hour.
(d) Two hours.
13. When Van meets Ada in the forest fork, what is she wearing?
(a) A robe and slippers.
(b) A long white formal dress.
(c) Shorts and a blue shirt.
(d) A yellow tennis outfit.
14. What does Ada say about the roses Percy gives her?
(a) She hates roses.
(b) She is allergic to roses.
(c) She adoes roses.
(d) She likes roses, but not as much as daisies.
15. What does Ana raise?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Percy de Prey ask Van to meet him?
2. When writing her husband from sanatoriums, Aqua sometimes used a Russian term meaning what?
3. What is the "lolita" that Ada wears?
4. What board game is "Flavita" a Russian version of?
5. Which of the following authors do Van and Ada like?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)