|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Ada and Van go, where Van compares Ada's body to the girlish body of the past?
(a) The stables where the horses are kept.
(b) A small island in Lake Ladore.
(c) A tumbled down tower in a meadow.
(d) A mushroom cave behind a small wood.
2. How do Ada and Van keep their correspondence secret?
(a) They write letters reversed and read them in mirrors.
(b) They write letters in disappearing ink.
(c) They write letters in code.
(d) They deliver letters only in person and burn them after reading.
3. On his way to catch the train to Luga, Mayne, to resume school, what excuse does Van make to stop the car to meet Ada?
(a) Buying a book for Marina.
(b) Picking some mushrooms for his father.
(c) Buying a new hat and coat.
(d) Washing in a stream.
4. How long do Van and Ada give Lucette to memorize eight lines of poetry?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Ninety minutes.
(c) An hour.
(d) Twenty minutes.
5. Why does the governess decide to stay in bed for five days?
(a) She has broken her ankle.
(b) She has strained her back.
(c) She has sprained her wrist.
(d) She has bruised her ribs.
6. In what language does Van write letters to his mother?
7. Over the thirteen years preceding Aqua's death, how much does Van calculate that he's spent with her?
(a) About two years.
(b) About eighteen months.
(c) About three weeks.
(d) About nine months.
8. Where does Percy de Prey ask Van to meet him?
(a) At the islet in Lake Ladore.
(b) At the creek in the woods.
(c) At Maidenhair Road and Tourbiure Lane.
(d) At the stables behind Ardis Hall.
9. What is the Andalusian architect Alonso supposed to design?
(a) A greenhouse.
(b) A play room.
(c) A swimming pool.
(d) A school room.
10. How does Van act toward Ada in Chapter 32?
(d) Overly affectionate.
11. What does Van dream of the night after he first has sex with Ada?
(a) Being scolded by the governess.
(c) Riding a horse.
(d) Holding hands with Blanche.
12. Where does Van hear Ada say "chort" or "devil"?
(a) In the library.
(b) At the zoo.
(c) At a picnic.
(d) At the dentist.
13. What does Ada say about the roses Percy gives her?
(a) She likes roses, but not as much as daisies.
(b) She hates roses.
(c) She is allergic to roses.
(d) She adoes roses.
14. What is Ada's hair like?
(a) Long, curled, and dark.
(b) Short, blonde, and straight.
(c) Short, blonde, and curled.
(d) Long, straight, and dark.
15. Where is Van and Ada's first sexual encounter?
(a) In a cave.
(b) In a pond.
(c) In an apple tree.
(d) In Van's room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Demon duel Baron d'Onsky?
2. What does Blanche tell Van?
3. What does Marina have in her screwdrivers instead of orange juice?
4. What color are Ada's eyes?
5. Why does Phillip Rack come upstairs, interrupting Ada and Van?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)