|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Van think is the most obvious choice that might have given him the note?
(a) The governess.
2. When Van takes a walk after first arriving at Ardis Hall, who does he run into?
(a) His two cousins, Ada and Lucette.
(b) His former governess and his cousin Lucette.
(c) His aunt and his father.
(d) Dark Veen.
3. What does Van's father offer to try to buy for him?
(a) A car.
(b) Ardis Hall.
(c) An airplane.
(d) A Manhattan apartment.
4. At the table at Ardis Hall, who does Lucette sit between?
(a) Marina and the governess.
(b) Ada and Van.
(c) Van and Marina.
(d) Ada and the governess.
5. What word does the person who left the note in Van's jacket use for "dupe"?
6. What does Ada like to paint pictures of from a book?
7. What do the two kids who find Marina's pressed-flower book decide to do with it?
(a) Hide it.
(b) Put it in a museum.
(c) Add more flowers to it.
(d) Destroy it.
8. What question of Van's does Ada not answer in Chapter 12?
(a) What she feels about him.
(b) What the third Real Thing is.
(c) What the difference is between town and country.
(d) What she dreams about at night.
9. Over the thirteen years preceding Aqua's death, how much does Van calculate that he's spent with her?
(a) About eighteen months.
(b) About three weeks.
(c) About nine months.
(d) About two years.
10. On his way to catch the train to Luga, Mayne, to resume school, what excuse does Van make to stop the car to meet Ada?
(a) Washing in a stream.
(b) Buying a book for Marina.
(c) Picking some mushrooms for his father.
(d) Buying a new hat and coat.
11. In what language does Van write letters to his mother?
12. What meaning does Marina put on Ada's black jumper and black skirt?
(a) In mourning for a lost flower.
(b) Undertaker to the insecta.
(c) Untouchable angel of death.
(d) Deep and perilous void of mystery.
13. What does Marina suspect might be Van's reason for leaving?
(a) His father is ill.
(b) He is eloping with Blanche.
(c) He is angry at something she said.
(d) He has left a girlfriend in London.
14. What board game is "Flavita" a Russian version of?
15. Why does Ada want to give Lucette a bath?
(a) Because Lucette smells bad.
(b) To attempt to drown her.
(c) To escape from her for a few minutes.
(d) Because Lucette hates baths.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Demon sees Ada, what about her appearance can he not bear?
2. Who is Van's first sexual experience with?
3. What figures are prominent in Ada's early memories of learning about male anatomy and sex?
4. Why does Ada tell stories at meals?
5. Where do Ada and Van go, where Van compares Ada's body to the girlish body of the past?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)