|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What figures are prominent in Ada's early memories of learning about male anatomy and sex?
(a) A visiting painter and a horse.
(b) A dock worker and a carriage driver.
(c) A statue and a dog.
(d) A visiting parson and a caterpillar.
2. Why does Greg come to Marina's house?
(a) To take a horseback riding lesson.
(b) To take Ada to a dance.
(c) To return Marina's lighter.
(d) To lend the governess a book.
3. What word does the person who left the note in Van's jacket use for "dupe"?
4. When Van takes a walk after first arriving at Ardis Hall, who does he run into?
(a) His aunt and his father.
(b) His former governess and his cousin Lucette.
(c) His two cousins, Ada and Lucette.
(d) Dark Veen.
5. What does Marina have in her screwdrivers instead of orange juice?
(a) Apple juice.
(b) Lime juice.
(c) Grapefruit juice.
(d) Tomato juice.
6. Why does Phillip Rack come upstairs, interrupting Ada and Van?
(a) To find a back way out of the house.
(b) To look for a restroom.
(c) To find a quiet place to lie down.
(d) To say goodbye to the family.
7. What is the Andalusian architect Alonso supposed to design?
(a) A play room.
(b) A school room.
(c) A greenhouse.
(d) A swimming pool.
8. Where do Ada and Van lock up Lucette, ostensibly playing hide and seek, so that they can be alone?
(a) In her bedroom.
(b) In a closet.
(c) In a bathroom.
(d) In the attic.
9. What activity does Marina do out on the lawn?
(a) Cooks breakfast.
(b) Sorts her library books.
(c) Has her hair styled.
(d) Tries on and chooses new shoes.
10. Why does Ada tell stories at meals?
(a) To impress Van.
(b) To prevent her mother from overtaking the conversation.
(c) To distract herself from the awful food.
(d) To show off her superiority to Lucette.
11. What does Blanche tell Van?
(a) That Lucette is planning to run away with him.
(b) That the governess knows of Van and Ada's affair.
(c) That Marina is having an affair with Pedro.
(d) That Ada has slept with someone else.
12. What does Bout comment is covered in dust?
(a) A wardrobe.
(b) A mirror.
(c) A book.
(d) A globe.
13. What doctor does Ada go to visit?
(a) A heart specialist.
(b) A podiatrist.
(c) An oral surgeon.
(d) A gynecologist.
14. Why does Ada want to give Lucette a bath?
(a) Because Lucette smells bad.
(b) Because Lucette hates baths.
(c) To escape from her for a few minutes.
(d) To attempt to drown her.
15. What does Baron d'Onsky try to buy from Demon?
(a) A small sculpture of an apple.
(b) An engraved cigarette case.
(c) A deck of risque playing cards.
(d) A picture of a nude woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Percy de Prey ask Van to meet him?
2. What gymnastic trick does Van help Lucette do?
3. What does Ada think of telling Lucette, to get her to leave Van alone?
4. What does Van's father offer to try to buy for him?
5. How long do Van and Ada give Lucette to memorize eight lines of poetry?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)