|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What article does Uncle Dan try to read?
(a) An article in Dutch about oystering.
(b) An article in Portuguese about sunflowers.
(c) An article in Africaans about spice farming.
(d) An article in Greek about tennis.
2. Where do Ada and Van go, where Van compares Ada's body to the girlish body of the past?
(a) A tumbled down tower in a meadow.
(b) A mushroom cave behind a small wood.
(c) The stables where the horses are kept.
(d) A small island in Lake Ladore.
3. What meaning does Marina put on Ada's black jumper and black skirt?
(a) Untouchable angel of death.
(b) Deep and perilous void of mystery.
(c) Undertaker to the insecta.
(d) In mourning for a lost flower.
4. What is Marina, Demon, and Daniel's shared birthday?
(a) March 7.
(b) January 5.
(c) April 2.
(d) Feburary 12.
5. Where does Van hear Ada say "chort" or "devil"?
(a) At the dentist.
(b) At a picnic.
(c) In the library.
(d) At the zoo.
6. After Van returns from washing his hands, where does he find Ada?
(a) In her bedroom, fast asleep.
(b) In Lucette's room, reading her a book.
(c) In the music room, playing the piano.
(d) On a balcony, peeling an apple.
7. What gymnastic trick does Van help Lucette do?
(a) Walk on her hands.
(b) Do a somersault.
(c) Balance-walk on a tree branch.
(d) Do a cartwheel.
8. What stage name does Van perform under?
9. Who does Van think is the most obvious choice that might have given him the note?
(a) The governess.
10. What Russian writer is quoted in the beginning of the novel?
11. Does Van talk to Ada before he leaves?
(a) Yes, he seeks her out.
(b) Yes, but he didn't plan to.
(c) No, he cannot find her.
(d) No, he carefully avoids her.
12. Where does Percy de Prey ask Van to meet him?
(a) At Maidenhair Road and Tourbiure Lane.
(b) At the stables behind Ardis Hall.
(c) At the creek in the woods.
(d) At the islet in Lake Ladore.
13. Who is at home when Van first arrives at Ardis Hall?
(a) Only animals.
(b) His aunt.
(c) His father.
(d) Only servants.
14. What board game is "Flavita" a Russian version of?
15. What structure catches fire and wakes nearly everyone in the house?
(a) A barn.
(b) A gazebo.
(c) A lighthouse.
(d) An outhouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the table at Ardis Hall, who does Lucette sit between?
2. What does Dick give Van as payment for losing the card game?
3. On his way to catch the train to Luga, Mayne, to resume school, what excuse does Van make to stop the car to meet Ada?
4. In what Manhattan landmark building did Dan propose to Marina in 1871?
5. What activity does Marina do out on the lawn?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)