|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color are Ada's eyes?
2. What happens to the weather during Demon's dinner with Marina, Van, and Ada?
(a) It begins to hail.
(b) A violent windstorm errupts.
(c) It begins to snow.
(d) It begins to thunder and lightning.
3. When Demon sees Ada, what about her appearance can he not bear?
(a) Her dress.
(b) Her braided hair.
(c) Her lipstick.
(d) Her shoes.
4. What Russian writer is quoted in the beginning of the novel?
5. Who made up the games that Ana describes in Chapter 8?
(a) The governess.
6. Where do Ada and Van go, where Van compares Ada's body to the girlish body of the past?
(a) The stables where the horses are kept.
(b) A mushroom cave behind a small wood.
(c) A tumbled down tower in a meadow.
(d) A small island in Lake Ladore.
7. On his way to catch the train to Luga, Mayne, to resume school, what excuse does Van make to stop the car to meet Ada?
(a) Picking some mushrooms for his father.
(b) Buying a new hat and coat.
(c) Buying a book for Marina.
(d) Washing in a stream.
8. In what language does Van write letters to his mother?
9. After Van returns from washing his hands, where does he find Ada?
(a) In the music room, playing the piano.
(b) In her bedroom, fast asleep.
(c) In Lucette's room, reading her a book.
(d) On a balcony, peeling an apple.
10. What color does Demon dye his hair?
11. What does Marina suspect might be Van's reason for leaving?
(a) He has left a girlfriend in London.
(b) He is angry at something she said.
(c) He is eloping with Blanche.
(d) His father is ill.
12. Where does Van hear Ada say "chort" or "devil"?
(a) At the dentist.
(b) At a picnic.
(c) At the zoo.
(d) In the library.
13. When Van meets Ada in the forest fork, what is she wearing?
(a) A robe and slippers.
(b) A long white formal dress.
(c) A yellow tennis outfit.
(d) Shorts and a blue shirt.
14. In 1888, when Van visits Ardis Hall, what gift does he carry in his pocket?
(a) A small, jeweled butterfly.
(b) A diamond necklace.
(c) An engagement ring.
(d) A monogramed handkerchief.
15. Why does the governess decide to stay in bed for five days?
(a) She has bruised her ribs.
(b) She has broken her ankle.
(c) She has strained her back.
(d) She has sprained her wrist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What board game is "Flavita" a Russian version of?
2. How do Ada and Van keep their correspondence secret?
3. When Van takes a walk after first arriving at Ardis Hall, who does he run into?
4. What article does Uncle Dan try to read?
5. What doctor does Ada go to visit?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)