|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes both Van and Ada to rush back to the house?
(a) They are afraid they've left their diaries out.
(b) Rain has started to pour down.
(c) They are angry and want to each be alone.
(d) They've forgotten a visitor is arriving.
2. Why does the governess decide to stay in bed for five days?
(a) She has broken her ankle.
(b) She has strained her back.
(c) She has bruised her ribs.
(d) She has sprained her wrist.
3. What does Ada think of telling Lucette, to get her to leave Van alone?
(a) That Van is gay.
(b) That Van is her uterine brother.
(c) That Van detests her.
(d) That Van is secretly a woman.
4. What does Ada like to paint pictures of from a book?
5. Who does Van think is the most obvious choice that might have given him the note?
(b) The governess.
6. What contact with Ada excites Van?
(a) He gives her a pony-ride.
(b) They hide together in a cave.
(c) They wrestle.
(d) She sits on his lap.
7. When Demon sees Ada, what about her appearance can he not bear?
(a) Her braided hair.
(b) Her lipstick.
(c) Her dress.
(d) Her shoes.
8. What do the two kids who find Marina's pressed-flower book decide to do with it?
(a) Hide it.
(b) Destroy it.
(c) Put it in a museum.
(d) Add more flowers to it.
9. Where do Ada and Van go, where Van compares Ada's body to the girlish body of the past?
(a) A small island in Lake Ladore.
(b) A mushroom cave behind a small wood.
(c) The stables where the horses are kept.
(d) A tumbled down tower in a meadow.
10. Where does Percy de Prey ask Van to meet him?
(a) At Maidenhair Road and Tourbiure Lane.
(b) At the stables behind Ardis Hall.
(c) At the islet in Lake Ladore.
(d) At the creek in the woods.
11. Who is at home when Van first arrives at Ardis Hall?
(a) His aunt.
(b) Only servants.
(c) His father.
(d) Only animals.
12. At the table at Ardis Hall, who does Lucette sit between?
(a) Marina and the governess.
(b) Ada and the governess.
(c) Van and Marina.
(d) Ada and Van.
13. What is the "eremitic reality or collective dream" Van discusses in his dissertation called?
14. Who is Van's first sexual experience with?
(a) A girl in his class at school.
(b) A girl who works at the movie theater.
(c) A prostitute who works as a barmaid.
(d) A prostitute and young helper at the corner shop.
15. What is Ada's hair like?
(a) Short, blonde, and curled.
(b) Long, straight, and dark.
(c) Long, curled, and dark.
(d) Short, blonde, and straight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Greg come to Marina's house?
2. What activity does Marina do out on the lawn?
3. Who is the chaperone when Van visits Ada at school?
4. After playing a game, Van tries to get Lucette to go to bed and promises to bring her something. What does he promise to bring her?
5. What does Dick give Van as payment for losing the card game?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)