|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feature of Van's and Ada's is extremely similar?
(a) Their lips.
(b) Their noses.
(c) Their hands.
(d) Their eyes.
2. In what language does Van write letters to his mother?
3. What is the "eremitic reality or collective dream" Van discusses in his dissertation called?
4. What gift does Dan give Ada for her birthday?
(a) Monogramed handkerchiefs.
(b) A book.
(c) A bracelet.
(d) A box of mints.
5. What does Marina suspect might be Van's reason for leaving?
(a) He has left a girlfriend in London.
(b) He is angry at something she said.
(c) He is eloping with Blanche.
(d) His father is ill.
6. What is the "lolita" that Ada wears?
(a) A shawl.
(b) A hat.
(c) A skirt.
(d) A shirt.
7. What feature of Ada does Van most delight in?
(a) Her eyebrows.
(b) Her nose.
(c) Her neck.
(d) Her forehead.
8. How do Ada and Van keep their correspondence secret?
(a) They write letters in disappearing ink.
(b) They write letters in code.
(c) They deliver letters only in person and burn them after reading.
(d) They write letters reversed and read them in mirrors.
9. Where is Van and Ada's first sexual encounter?
(a) In Van's room.
(b) In a cave.
(c) In an apple tree.
(d) In a pond.
10. In 1888, when Van visits Ardis Hall, what gift does he carry in his pocket?
(a) A diamond necklace.
(b) An engagement ring.
(c) A monogramed handkerchief.
(d) A small, jeweled butterfly.
11. Who is the chaperone when Van visits Ada at school?
(b) The headmistress.
(d) No one.
12. What meaning does Marina put on Ada's black jumper and black skirt?
(a) Deep and perilous void of mystery.
(b) In mourning for a lost flower.
(c) Undertaker to the insecta.
(d) Untouchable angel of death.
13. When Demon sees Ada, what about her appearance can he not bear?
(a) Her braided hair.
(b) Her dress.
(c) Her lipstick.
(d) Her shoes.
14. After playing a game, Van tries to get Lucette to go to bed and promises to bring her something. What does he promise to bring her?
(a) A hand-mirror.
(c) A toy.
15. What does Baron d'Onsky try to buy from Demon?
(a) A picture of a nude woman.
(b) A small sculpture of an apple.
(c) An engraved cigarette case.
(d) A deck of risque playing cards.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the two kids who find Marina's pressed-flower book decide to do with it?
2. What question of Van's does Ada not answer in Chapter 12?
3. What is the Andalusian architect Alonso supposed to design?
4. What color does Demon dye his hair?
5. Who fights by the edge of the brook?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)