|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game did Van win in a match against Pat Rishin at Chose in 1887?
2. What does Ada think of telling Lucette, to get her to leave Van alone?
(a) That Van is secretly a woman.
(b) That Van is her uterine brother.
(c) That Van detests her.
(d) That Van is gay.
3. What gymnastic trick does Van help Lucette do?
(a) Do a somersault.
(b) Walk on her hands.
(c) Balance-walk on a tree branch.
(d) Do a cartwheel.
4. What does Van's father offer to try to buy for him?
(a) A Manhattan apartment.
(b) Ardis Hall.
(c) An airplane.
(d) A car.
5. What color are Ada's eyes?
6. What does Bout comment is covered in dust?
(a) A globe.
(b) A mirror.
(c) A book.
(d) A wardrobe.
7. In what Manhattan landmark building did Dan propose to Marina in 1871?
(a) The first Manhattan brownstone.
(b) The first Manhattan glass-walled building.
(c) The first ten-floor Manhattan building.
(d) The first commercial apartment building in Manhattan.
8. What stage name does Van perform under?
9. On his way to catch the train to Luga, Mayne, to resume school, what excuse does Van make to stop the car to meet Ada?
(a) Buying a book for Marina.
(b) Buying a new hat and coat.
(c) Picking some mushrooms for his father.
(d) Washing in a stream.
10. Who is at home when Van first arrives at Ardis Hall?
(a) His father.
(b) Only animals.
(c) His aunt.
(d) Only servants.
11. Why does Ada tell stories at meals?
(a) To show off her superiority to Lucette.
(b) To distract herself from the awful food.
(c) To impress Van.
(d) To prevent her mother from overtaking the conversation.
12. What is Marina, Demon, and Daniel's shared birthday?
(a) March 7.
(b) April 2.
(c) January 5.
(d) Feburary 12.
13. What feature of Ada does Van most delight in?
(a) Her neck.
(b) Her nose.
(c) Her forehead.
(d) Her eyebrows.
14. What Russian writer is quoted in the beginning of the novel?
15. What gift does Dan give Ada for her birthday?
(a) Monogramed handkerchiefs.
(b) A box of mints.
(c) A bracelet.
(d) A book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Greg come to Marina's house?
2. What does Marina have in her screwdrivers instead of orange juice?
3. What article does Uncle Dan try to read?
4. Where does Marina have breakfast?
5. Where is Van and Ada's first sexual encounter?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)