|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What garment of clothing does Van chide Ada for not wearing?
2. What meaning does Marina put on Ada's black jumper and black skirt?
(a) Undertaker to the insecta.
(b) Untouchable angel of death.
(c) In mourning for a lost flower.
(d) Deep and perilous void of mystery.
3. When Van meets Ada in the forest fork, what is she wearing?
(a) A long white formal dress.
(b) Shorts and a blue shirt.
(c) A yellow tennis outfit.
(d) A robe and slippers.
4. What does Ada think of telling Lucette, to get her to leave Van alone?
(a) That Van is gay.
(b) That Van is her uterine brother.
(c) That Van is secretly a woman.
(d) That Van detests her.
5. After playing a game, Van tries to get Lucette to go to bed and promises to bring her something. What does he promise to bring her?
(a) A hand-mirror.
(c) A toy.
6. Why does Phillip Rack come upstairs, interrupting Ada and Van?
(a) To look for a restroom.
(b) To find a quiet place to lie down.
(c) To find a back way out of the house.
(d) To say goodbye to the family.
7. In what Manhattan landmark building did Dan propose to Marina in 1871?
(a) The first Manhattan brownstone.
(b) The first Manhattan glass-walled building.
(c) The first commercial apartment building in Manhattan.
(d) The first ten-floor Manhattan building.
8. What color does Demon dye his hair?
9. What does Dick give Van as payment for losing the card game?
(a) A trip to Australia and Nice.
(b) A position with his father's company.
(c) A subscription to the Chose Chase magazine.
(d) Entrance into the Venus Villa Club.
10. What wakes Van his first morning at his aunt's home?
(a) The governess bringing tea.
(b) His aunt shaking him.
(d) A bell.
11. What does Ada say about the roses Percy gives her?
(a) She adoes roses.
(b) She is allergic to roses.
(c) She likes roses, but not as much as daisies.
(d) She hates roses.
12. What activity does Marina do out on the lawn?
(a) Tries on and chooses new shoes.
(b) Cooks breakfast.
(c) Has her hair styled.
(d) Sorts her library books.
13. What is Ada's hair like?
(a) Short, blonde, and straight.
(b) Short, blonde, and curled.
(c) Long, curled, and dark.
(d) Long, straight, and dark.
14. At the table at Ardis Hall, who does Lucette sit between?
(a) Ada and the governess.
(b) Marina and the governess.
(c) Van and Marina.
(d) Ada and Van.
15. What gift does Dan give Ada for her birthday?
(a) A box of mints.
(b) A bracelet.
(c) A book.
(d) Monogramed handkerchiefs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Van's first sexual experience with?
2. In 1888, when Van visits Ardis Hall, what gift does he carry in his pocket?
3. What is the "eremitic reality or collective dream" Van discusses in his dissertation called?
4. Where was Van born?
5. What structure catches fire and wakes nearly everyone in the house?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)