|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Van and Ada's first sexual encounter?
(a) In a pond.
(b) In a cave.
(c) In Van's room.
(d) In an apple tree.
2. Who does Van think is the most obvious choice that might have given him the note?
(d) The governess.
3. What was Van wearing the first time she glimpsed him, before they met?
(a) A bathing suit and green towel.
(b) A white sailor suit and blue cap.
(c) A black formal suit, hat, and gloves.
(d) A gray shirt and shorts.
4. What does Ana raise?
5. Where does Marina have breakfast?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) In bed.
(c) In the dining room.
(d) In the sitting room.
6. What does Ada say about the roses Percy gives her?
(a) She likes roses, but not as much as daisies.
(b) She hates roses.
(c) She adoes roses.
(d) She is allergic to roses.
7. Where do Ada and Van lock up Lucette, ostensibly playing hide and seek, so that they can be alone?
(a) In a bathroom.
(b) In her bedroom.
(c) In the attic.
(d) In a closet.
8. What game did Van win in a match against Pat Rishin at Chose in 1887?
9. Why does Greg come to Marina's house?
(a) To take Ada to a dance.
(b) To return Marina's lighter.
(c) To take a horseback riding lesson.
(d) To lend the governess a book.
10. Does Ada promise to be faithful while Van is gone?
(a) No, she's not sure she can.
(b) No, she is adamant that she will not.
(c) Yes, she promises but is secretly unsure.
(d) Yes, she promises she will.
11. What feature of Ada does Van most delight in?
(a) Her forehead.
(b) Her nose.
(c) Her neck.
(d) Her eyebrows.
12. How was Mr. Plunkett exposed at cheating at cards?
(a) His rooms were searched by the police while he was playing in a poker game.
(b) He was in a game with another card shark who spotted his tricks.
(c) He collapsed with heart problems, and his opponent searched his pockets.
(d) He was stopped by a club owner, held down, and searched.
13. Where was Van born?
14. Over the thirteen years preceding Aqua's death, how much does Van calculate that he's spent with her?
(a) About eighteen months.
(b) About nine months.
(c) About two years.
(d) About three weeks.
15. What color does Demon dye his hair?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who made up the games that Ana describes in Chapter 8?
2. When Van takes a walk after first arriving at Ardis Hall, who does he run into?
3. In what language does Van write letters to his mother?
4. What garment of clothing does Van chide Ada for not wearing?
5. What Russian writer is quoted in the beginning of the novel?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)