|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ada tell stories at meals?
(a) To impress Van.
(b) To prevent her mother from overtaking the conversation.
(c) To show off her superiority to Lucette.
(d) To distract herself from the awful food.
2. What is the "eremitic reality or collective dream" Van discusses in his dissertation called?
3. What does Dack run through the house with?
(a) Cottonwool soaked with blood.
(b) A bird he has caught in the garden.
(c) A hambone from the kitchen.
(d) Clothes from Van's room.
4. What gift does Dan give Ada for her birthday?
(a) A box of mints.
(b) A book.
(c) Monogramed handkerchiefs.
(d) A bracelet.
5. Who walks in on Ada and Van making love?
6. What happens to the weather during Demon's dinner with Marina, Van, and Ada?
(a) It begins to snow.
(b) It begins to hail.
(c) It begins to thunder and lightning.
(d) A violent windstorm errupts.
7. Does Van talk to Ada before he leaves?
(a) Yes, he seeks her out.
(b) No, he carefully avoids her.
(c) Yes, but he didn't plan to.
(d) No, he cannot find her.
8. Who is at home when Van first arrives at Ardis Hall?
(a) His aunt.
(b) Only servants.
(c) Only animals.
(d) His father.
9. What is Ada's hair like?
(a) Short, blonde, and curled.
(b) Long, curled, and dark.
(c) Long, straight, and dark.
(d) Short, blonde, and straight.
10. Why does Greg come to Marina's house?
(a) To return Marina's lighter.
(b) To lend the governess a book.
(c) To take a horseback riding lesson.
(d) To take Ada to a dance.
11. How was Mr. Plunkett exposed at cheating at cards?
(a) He was in a game with another card shark who spotted his tricks.
(b) His rooms were searched by the police while he was playing in a poker game.
(c) He collapsed with heart problems, and his opponent searched his pockets.
(d) He was stopped by a club owner, held down, and searched.
12. Where do Ada and Van lock up Lucette, ostensibly playing hide and seek, so that they can be alone?
(a) In the attic.
(b) In her bedroom.
(c) In a closet.
(d) In a bathroom.
13. Why does the governess decide to stay in bed for five days?
(a) She has strained her back.
(b) She has bruised her ribs.
(c) She has broken her ankle.
(d) She has sprained her wrist.
14. What is Marina, Demon, and Daniel's shared birthday?
(a) March 7.
(b) Feburary 12.
(c) January 5.
(d) April 2.
15. Where do Ada and Van go, where Van compares Ada's body to the girlish body of the past?
(a) A tumbled down tower in a meadow.
(b) The stables where the horses are kept.
(c) A small island in Lake Ladore.
(d) A mushroom cave behind a small wood.
Short Answer Questions
1. After playing a game, Van tries to get Lucette to go to bed and promises to bring her something. What does he promise to bring her?
2. What game did Van win in a match against Pat Rishin at Chose in 1887?
3. In 1888, when Van visits Ardis Hall, what gift does he carry in his pocket?
4. What feature of Ada does Van most delight in?
5. What feature of Van's and Ada's is extremely similar?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)