|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What wakes Van his first morning at his aunt's home?
(b) A bell.
(c) The governess bringing tea.
(d) His aunt shaking him.
2. Why does the governess decide to stay in bed for five days?
(a) She has strained her back.
(b) She has sprained her wrist.
(c) She has broken her ankle.
(d) She has bruised her ribs.
3. What is Ada's hair like?
(a) Short, blonde, and curled.
(b) Long, curled, and dark.
(c) Long, straight, and dark.
(d) Short, blonde, and straight.
4. Who is the chaperone when Van visits Ada at school?
(a) The headmistress.
(d) No one.
5. Does Ada promise to be faithful while Van is gone?
(a) No, she is adamant that she will not.
(b) Yes, she promises she will.
(c) Yes, she promises but is secretly unsure.
(d) No, she's not sure she can.
6. How was Mr. Plunkett exposed at cheating at cards?
(a) His rooms were searched by the police while he was playing in a poker game.
(b) He collapsed with heart problems, and his opponent searched his pockets.
(c) He was stopped by a club owner, held down, and searched.
(d) He was in a game with another card shark who spotted his tricks.
7. What is Marina, Demon, and Daniel's shared birthday?
(a) March 7.
(b) April 2.
(c) January 5.
(d) Feburary 12.
8. How do Ada and Van keep their correspondence secret?
(a) They write letters in code.
(b) They deliver letters only in person and burn them after reading.
(c) They write letters reversed and read them in mirrors.
(d) They write letters in disappearing ink.
9. Where does Marina have breakfast?
(a) In bed.
(b) In the sitting room.
(c) In the dining room.
(d) In the kitchen.
10. What color does Demon dye his hair?
11. What does Baron d'Onsky try to buy from Demon?
(a) A picture of a nude woman.
(b) A deck of risque playing cards.
(c) An engraved cigarette case.
(d) A small sculpture of an apple.
12. What figures are prominent in Ada's early memories of learning about male anatomy and sex?
(a) A statue and a dog.
(b) A visiting painter and a horse.
(c) A dock worker and a carriage driver.
(d) A visiting parson and a caterpillar.
13. Why does Phillip Rack come upstairs, interrupting Ada and Van?
(a) To find a quiet place to lie down.
(b) To say goodbye to the family.
(c) To look for a restroom.
(d) To find a back way out of the house.
14. What game did Van win in a match against Pat Rishin at Chose in 1887?
15. What does Marina suspect might be Van's reason for leaving?
(a) He is angry at something she said.
(b) He has left a girlfriend in London.
(c) He is eloping with Blanche.
(d) His father is ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what language does Van write letters to his mother?
2. At sixteen, who does Ada say she's older than?
3. When Demon sees Ada, what about her appearance can he not bear?
4. What does Blanche tell Van?
5. What does Ada think of telling Lucette, to get her to leave Van alone?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)