|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bout comment is covered in dust?
(a) A mirror.
(b) A globe.
(c) A book.
(d) A wardrobe.
2. What is Marina, Demon, and Daniel's shared birthday?
(a) January 5.
(b) March 7.
(c) April 2.
(d) Feburary 12.
3. Where do Ada and Van lock up Lucette, ostensibly playing hide and seek, so that they can be alone?
(a) In the attic.
(b) In her bedroom.
(c) In a bathroom.
(d) In a closet.
4. What word does the person who left the note in Van's jacket use for "dupe"?
5. On his way to catch the train to Luga, Mayne, to resume school, what excuse does Van make to stop the car to meet Ada?
(a) Buying a book for Marina.
(b) Buying a new hat and coat.
(c) Picking some mushrooms for his father.
(d) Washing in a stream.
6. What gymnastic trick does Van help Lucette do?
(a) Do a cartwheel.
(b) Walk on her hands.
(c) Do a somersault.
(d) Balance-walk on a tree branch.
7. What does Ada say about the roses Percy gives her?
(a) She hates roses.
(b) She is allergic to roses.
(c) She adoes roses.
(d) She likes roses, but not as much as daisies.
8. Why does Ada want to give Lucette a bath?
(a) Because Lucette hates baths.
(b) To attempt to drown her.
(c) To escape from her for a few minutes.
(d) Because Lucette smells bad.
9. Why does Ada tell stories at meals?
(a) To distract herself from the awful food.
(b) To show off her superiority to Lucette.
(c) To prevent her mother from overtaking the conversation.
(d) To impress Van.
10. Who made up the games that Ana describes in Chapter 8?
(c) The governess.
11. What article does Uncle Dan try to read?
(a) An article in Greek about tennis.
(b) An article in Dutch about oystering.
(c) An article in Portuguese about sunflowers.
(d) An article in Africaans about spice farming.
12. What does Blanche tell Van?
(a) That Lucette is planning to run away with him.
(b) That the governess knows of Van and Ada's affair.
(c) That Ada has slept with someone else.
(d) That Marina is having an affair with Pedro.
13. What causes both Van and Ada to rush back to the house?
(a) They are afraid they've left their diaries out.
(b) Rain has started to pour down.
(c) They've forgotten a visitor is arriving.
(d) They are angry and want to each be alone.
14. What feature of Ada does Van most delight in?
(a) Her neck.
(b) Her eyebrows.
(c) Her nose.
(d) Her forehead.
15. In what Manhattan landmark building did Dan propose to Marina in 1871?
(a) The first Manhattan brownstone.
(b) The first Manhattan glass-walled building.
(c) The first commercial apartment building in Manhattan.
(d) The first ten-floor Manhattan building.
Short Answer Questions
1. After playing a game, Van tries to get Lucette to go to bed and promises to bring her something. What does he promise to bring her?
2. Over the thirteen years preceding Aqua's death, how much does Van calculate that he's spent with her?
3. What is Ada's hair like?
4. What does Van dream of the night after he first has sex with Ada?
5. What gift does Dan give Ada for her birthday?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)