|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gymnastic trick does Van help Lucette do?
(a) Do a cartwheel.
(b) Do a somersault.
(c) Walk on her hands.
(d) Balance-walk on a tree branch.
2. In what language does Van write letters to his mother?
3. When writing her husband from sanatoriums, Aqua sometimes used a Russian term meaning what?
(a) Heart rending sounds.
(b) Rays of hope.
(c) Sickening sadness.
(d) Bursting memories.
4. What feature of Ada does Van most delight in?
(a) Her eyebrows.
(b) Her nose.
(c) Her neck.
(d) Her forehead.
5. Does Van talk to Ada before he leaves?
(a) No, he carefully avoids her.
(b) Yes, but he didn't plan to.
(c) No, he cannot find her.
(d) Yes, he seeks her out.
6. What was Van wearing the first time she glimpsed him, before they met?
(a) A bathing suit and green towel.
(b) A gray shirt and shorts.
(c) A white sailor suit and blue cap.
(d) A black formal suit, hat, and gloves.
7. What does Blanche tell Van?
(a) That the governess knows of Van and Ada's affair.
(b) That Marina is having an affair with Pedro.
(c) That Lucette is planning to run away with him.
(d) That Ada has slept with someone else.
8. Why does Demon duel Baron d'Onsky?
(a) He spread rumors about Marina.
(b) He was having an affair with Marina.
(c) He cheated Demon in a business deal.
(d) He spread rumors about Demon.
9. What question of Van's does Ada not answer in Chapter 12?
(a) What the difference is between town and country.
(b) What the third Real Thing is.
(c) What she feels about him.
(d) What she dreams about at night.
10. When Demon sees Ada, what about her appearance can he not bear?
(a) Her dress.
(b) Her shoes.
(c) Her braided hair.
(d) Her lipstick.
11. Who is Van's first sexual experience with?
(a) A prostitute who works as a barmaid.
(b) A girl who works at the movie theater.
(c) A girl in his class at school.
(d) A prostitute and young helper at the corner shop.
12. Who is at home when Van first arrives at Ardis Hall?
(a) Only animals.
(b) His father.
(c) His aunt.
(d) Only servants.
13. What structure catches fire and wakes nearly everyone in the house?
(a) A gazebo.
(b) A lighthouse.
(c) An outhouse.
(d) A barn.
14. What article does Uncle Dan try to read?
(a) An article in Greek about tennis.
(b) An article in Dutch about oystering.
(c) An article in Portuguese about sunflowers.
(d) An article in Africaans about spice farming.
15. Why does Greg come to Marina's house?
(a) To take Ada to a dance.
(b) To return Marina's lighter.
(c) To take a horseback riding lesson.
(d) To lend the governess a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his way to catch the train to Luga, Mayne, to resume school, what excuse does Van make to stop the car to meet Ada?
2. Who made up the games that Ana describes in Chapter 8?
3. What does Dack run through the house with?
4. Where does Marina have breakfast?
5. What meaning does Marina put on Ada's black jumper and black skirt?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)