|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who made up the games that Ana describes in Chapter 8?
(b) The governess.
2. Who fights by the edge of the brook?
(a) Greg and Dan.
(b) Van and Percy.
(c) Greg and Percy.
(d) Van and Dan.
3. Does Van talk to Ada before he leaves?
(a) Yes, but he didn't plan to.
(b) Yes, he seeks her out.
(c) No, he cannot find her.
(d) No, he carefully avoids her.
4. Why does Greg come to Marina's house?
(a) To take Ada to a dance.
(b) To take a horseback riding lesson.
(c) To return Marina's lighter.
(d) To lend the governess a book.
5. When writing her husband from sanatoriums, Aqua sometimes used a Russian term meaning what?
(a) Bursting memories.
(b) Sickening sadness.
(c) Heart rending sounds.
(d) Rays of hope.
6. What does Ada think of telling Lucette, to get her to leave Van alone?
(a) That Van is gay.
(b) That Van detests her.
(c) That Van is her uterine brother.
(d) That Van is secretly a woman.
7. Why does the governess decide to stay in bed for five days?
(a) She has sprained her wrist.
(b) She has bruised her ribs.
(c) She has broken her ankle.
(d) She has strained her back.
8. What is Ada's hair like?
(a) Short, blonde, and curled.
(b) Long, straight, and dark.
(c) Long, curled, and dark.
(d) Short, blonde, and straight.
9. In what language does Van write letters to his mother?
10. What question of Van's does Ada not answer in Chapter 12?
(a) What the third Real Thing is.
(b) What the difference is between town and country.
(c) What she dreams about at night.
(d) What she feels about him.
11. What does Dick give Van as payment for losing the card game?
(a) A position with his father's company.
(b) A subscription to the Chose Chase magazine.
(c) A trip to Australia and Nice.
(d) Entrance into the Venus Villa Club.
12. What causes both Van and Ada to rush back to the house?
(a) They've forgotten a visitor is arriving.
(b) They are afraid they've left their diaries out.
(c) They are angry and want to each be alone.
(d) Rain has started to pour down.
13. How was Mr. Plunkett exposed at cheating at cards?
(a) He was stopped by a club owner, held down, and searched.
(b) He was in a game with another card shark who spotted his tricks.
(c) He collapsed with heart problems, and his opponent searched his pockets.
(d) His rooms were searched by the police while he was playing in a poker game.
14. What wakes Van his first morning at his aunt's home?
(b) His aunt shaking him.
(c) The governess bringing tea.
(d) A bell.
15. What does Ada like to paint pictures of from a book?
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Dan give Ada for her birthday?
2. When Van meets Ada in the forest fork, what is she wearing?
3. What Russian writer is quoted in the beginning of the novel?
4. What doctor does Ada go to visit?
5. Where is Van and Ada's first sexual encounter?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)