|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book One, Chapters 21-27.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ada tell stories at meals?
(a) To impress Van.
(b) To show off her superiority to Lucette.
(c) To prevent her mother from overtaking the conversation.
(d) To distract herself from the awful food.
2. When writing her husband from sanatoriums, Aqua sometimes used a Russian term meaning what?
(a) Heart rending sounds.
(b) Rays of hope.
(c) Sickening sadness.
(d) Bursting memories.
3. Why does Demon duel Baron d'Onsky?
(a) He spread rumors about Marina.
(b) He spread rumors about Demon.
(c) He cheated Demon in a business deal.
(d) He was having an affair with Marina.
4. What is Marina, Demon, and Daniel's shared birthday?
(a) January 5.
(b) March 7.
(c) Feburary 12.
(d) April 2.
5. Over the thirteen years preceding Aqua's death, how much does Van calculate that he's spent with her?
(a) About three weeks.
(b) About nine months.
(c) About two years.
(d) About eighteen months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ana raise?
2. In what language does Van write letters to his mother?
3. What Russian writer is quoted in the beginning of the novel?
4. What feature of Van's and Ada's is extremely similar?
5. What structure catches fire and wakes nearly everyone in the house?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)