|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book One, Chapters 21-27.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dack run through the house with?
(a) A hambone from the kitchen.
(b) A bird he has caught in the garden.
(c) Cottonwool soaked with blood.
(d) Clothes from Van's room.
2. Why does the governess decide to stay in bed for five days?
(a) She has sprained her wrist.
(b) She has bruised her ribs.
(c) She has strained her back.
(d) She has broken her ankle.
3. What Russian writer is quoted in the beginning of the novel?
4. What structure catches fire and wakes nearly everyone in the house?
(a) An outhouse.
(b) A barn.
(c) A gazebo.
(d) A lighthouse.
5. What figures are prominent in Ada's early memories of learning about male anatomy and sex?
(a) A visiting parson and a caterpillar.
(b) A visiting painter and a horse.
(c) A statue and a dog.
(d) A dock worker and a carriage driver.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question of Van's does Ada not answer in Chapter 12?
2. In what language does Van write letters to his mother?
3. How long do Van and Ada give Lucette to memorize eight lines of poetry?
4. What contact with Ada excites Van?
5. What is the "lolita" that Ada wears?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)