|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Jenny when she gets married?
2. What news does the Lawrence boy bring home from the war?
3. What do the men all talk about after the barn has been built?
4. Why are the people frustrated with the Union Army in Chapter 7?
5. Where is Chicamauga Creek?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do federal agents come to the Creighton farm?
2. What happens when Jenny goes to D.C.?
3. What does Shadrach's aunt write to the Creighton family about?
4. What happens when Jethro hears strange noises from the woods while working in the fields one day?
5. What does Jethro do when he hears about the end of the war?
6. What does Shadrach write to Jethro about in Chapter 11?
7. How do Jenny and Jethro follow what is happening in the war?
8. What helps Shadrach while he is with his aunt?
9. What does Eb write about when he returns to his unit after deserting?
10. What does John write about at the beginning of Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Responsibility and coming-of-age are two themes that are interwoven in many places of this plot. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
Essay Topic 2
Guy Wortman and Dave Burdow are two characters who are very similar in their natures, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
Essay Topic 3
The story takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Irene Hunt have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)