|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Guy Wortman arrested?
2. What does Jethro use to help him understand what is happening during the war?
3. Why are the people frustrated with the Union Army in Chapter 7?
4. What month was the Gettysburg Address delivered in?
5. Where are the Creighton births and deaths recorded?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Guy Wortman finally arrested?
2. What does John write about at the beginning of Chapter 11?
3. What happens when men gather to build the Creightons' a new barn?
4. What helps Shadrach while he is with his aunt?
5. How does Shadrach feel about his leaders in Chapter 8?
6. What does Jethro do when he is conflicted about Eb's desertion?
7. Why do federal agents come to the Creighton farm?
8. What does Jethro do when he hears about the end of the war?
9. What makes Jethro less interested in his schooling at the beginning of Chapter 12?
10. What happens that ruins the peace in Jethro's life after the war is ended?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jethro endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
The story takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Irene Hunt have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)