|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month does the battle at Chancellorsville take place?
2. What news does the Lawrence boy bring home from the war?
3. How are deserters punished?
4. Who is Shadrach serving under in Chapter 8?
5. Who sends a letter to Shadrach about the battle at Chicamauga Creek?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jethro get upset about when the men are talking after building the new barn?
2. What happens when Jenny goes to D.C.?
3. What happens when men gather to build the Creightons' a new barn?
4. What makes Jethro less interested in his schooling at the beginning of Chapter 12?
5. What does Jethro do when he hears about the end of the war?
6. Who is the first in the area to return from the war, and what news does he bring?
7. What happens to Hig Phillips in Chapter 9, and why?
8. Where does John see Bill, and why?
9. What does Shadrach write to Jethro about in Chapter 11?
10. Why do federal agents come to the Creighton farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Irene Hunt have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)