|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes on the care of the farm at the end of the book?
2. How does the family react when Jethro receives a letter back?
3. Why are the people frustrated with the Union Army in Chapter 7?
4. How does Shadrach describe Grant in Chapter 11?
5. Where is Jethro when he hears of Lincoln's assassination?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the county help the Creightons after their barn is burned down?
2. What happens that ruins the peace in Jethro's life after the war is ended?
3. What does Jethro do when he hears about the end of the war?
4. How do Jenny and Jethro follow what is happening in the war?
5. What happens when men gather to build the Creightons' a new barn?
6. What makes Jethro less interested in his schooling at the beginning of Chapter 12?
7. Where does John see Bill, and why?
8. What does Shadrach's aunt write to the Creighton family about?
9. What happens when Jethro hears strange noises from the woods while working in the fields one day?
10. What happens to Hig Phillips in Chapter 9, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Guy Wortman and Dave Burdow are two characters who are very similar in their natures, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot and why?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)