|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jethro use to help him understand what is happening during the war?
2. Who is Shadrach serving under in Chapter 8?
3. Who does John see while tending to rebel prisoners?
4. What does Shadrach tell Jenny in his letter in Chapter 10?
5. Where does Jethro go when he hears the war has ended?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jethro get upset about when the men are talking after building the new barn?
2. What happens when men gather to build the Creightons' a new barn?
3. What does Jethro do when he is conflicted about Eb's desertion?
4. What does Shadrach's aunt write to the Creighton family about?
5. What does Jethro do when he hears about the end of the war?
6. How do Jenny and Jethro follow what is happening in the war?
7. What good news does John send his family about Bill?
8. Who is the first in the area to return from the war, and what news does he bring?
9. What does Eb write about when he returns to his unit after deserting?
10. What makes Jethro less interested in his schooling at the beginning of Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
How does Jenny's relationship with Shadrach change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Guy Wortman and Dave Burdow are two characters who are very similar in their natures, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)