|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends some good logs over to help build the Creighton's barn?
2. What do Ellen and Nancy do for the men who help build their barn?
3. Who wins the battle of Gettysburg?
4. Who led the Union in Chicamauga Creek?
5. What do Jenny and Jethro not like about the federal agents that come to the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jenny and Jethro follow what is happening in the war?
2. What does Jethro do when he hears about the end of the war?
3. What makes Jethro less interested in his schooling at the beginning of Chapter 12?
4. What helps Shadrach while he is with his aunt?
5. What happens that ruins the peace in Jethro's life after the war is ended?
6. What happens when Jenny goes to D.C.?
7. What does Jethro get upset about when the men are talking after building the new barn?
8. What does Shadrach write to Jethro about in Chapter 11?
9. Where does Jethro go at the end of the book and why?
10. What does Eb write about when he returns to his unit after deserting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
The story takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Irene Hunt have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
How does Jenny's relationship with Shadrach change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)