|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do federal agents come to the Creighton's house?
2. Where do people come from to help repair the Creighton barn?
3. How does the family react when Jethro receives a letter back?
4. In what month does the Civil War officially end?
5. Who led the Union Army in the battle of Gettysburg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Jethro less interested in his schooling at the beginning of Chapter 12?
2. What does Jethro do when he is conflicted about Eb's desertion?
3. How do Jenny and Jethro follow what is happening in the war?
4. How is Guy Wortman finally arrested?
5. What happens when Jethro hears strange noises from the woods while working in the fields one day?
6. What do Jenny and Jethro do when they hear of Tom's death?
7. Why do federal agents come to the Creighton farm?
8. Who is the first in the area to return from the war, and what news does he bring?
9. Where does John see Bill, and why?
10. What does Shadrach's aunt write to the Creighton family about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Jenny's relationship with Shadrach change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in the plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)