|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Lawrence boy come home from the war in Chapter 7?
2. What do Jenny and Jethro not like about the federal agents that come to the farm?
3. What do the men all talk about after the barn has been built?
4. What month was the Gettysburg Address delivered in?
5. Who tells Jethro about Lincoln's assassination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how does it affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Responsibility and coming-of-age are two themes that are interwoven in many places of this plot. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)