|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hig Phillips murdered?
2. Who takes on the care of the farm at the end of the book?
3. How old is Jenny when she gets married?
4. Who sends some good logs over to help build the Creighton's barn?
5. Where is Jethro when he hears of Lincoln's assassination?
Short Essay Questions
1. What good news does John send his family about Bill?
2. What does Jethro do when he hears about the end of the war?
3. How is Guy Wortman finally arrested?
4. How does Shadrach feel about his leaders in Chapter 8?
5. What happens when Jenny goes to D.C.?
6. What does Shadrach write to Jethro about in Chapter 11?
7. What happens when men gather to build the Creightons' a new barn?
8. What does Shadrach's aunt write to the Creighton family about?
9. What does John write about at the beginning of Chapter 11?
10. What happens to Hig Phillips in Chapter 9, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations
Essay Topic 2
How does Jenny's relationship with Shadrach change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Responsibility and coming-of-age are two themes that are interwoven in many places of this plot. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)