|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Shad plan to vote for in the next presidential election?
2. Where are the strange noises in the woods coming from while Jethro is working in the field?
3. Who tells Jethro about Lincoln's assassination?
4. How many men show up to help re-build the Creighton's barn?
5. What does the President decide to do about the deserters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jethro do when he hears about the end of the war?
2. Where does Jethro go at the end of the book and why?
3. How does Shadrach feel about his leaders in Chapter 8?
4. Who is the first in the area to return from the war, and what news does he bring?
5. What happens to Hig Phillips in Chapter 9, and why?
6. How do Jenny and Jethro follow what is happening in the war?
7. What good news does John send his family about Bill?
8. What does Shadrach's aunt write to the Creighton family about?
9. What does Jethro do when he is conflicted about Eb's desertion?
10. What does Eb write about when he returns to his unit after deserting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations
Essay Topic 2
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how does it affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)