|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who led the Confederate Army in the battle of Gettysburg?
2. How does the family react when Jethro receives a letter back?
3. Who does John see while tending to rebel prisoners?
4. What month does the battle at Chancellorsville take place?
5. Where does Jethro decide to live at the end of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the county help the Creightons after their barn is burned down?
2. How does Shadrach feel about his leaders in Chapter 8?
3. What does Shadrach's aunt write to the Creighton family about?
4. What does John write about at the beginning of Chapter 11?
5. What does Shadrach write to Jethro about in Chapter 11?
6. What good news does John send his family about Bill?
7. What happens when Jethro hears strange noises from the woods while working in the fields one day?
8. What does Jethro get upset about when the men are talking after building the new barn?
9. What happens when men gather to build the Creightons' a new barn?
10. What does Jethro do when he hears about the end of the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Responsibility and coming-of-age are two themes that are interwoven in many places of this plot. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
Essay Topic 2
This plot takes place during the Civil War. How does this historic event shape the main characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how does it affect the characters involved?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)