|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jenny and Jethro not like about the federal agents that come to the farm?
2. Where does Eb go after Lincoln gives the deserters amnesty?
3. In what month does the Civil War officially end?
4. Why are the people frustrated with the Union Army in Chapter 7?
5. Why does Jethro get frustrated while the men are talking after the barn has been built?
Short Essay Questions
1. What helps Shadrach while he is with his aunt?
2. What happens when Jethro hears strange noises from the woods while working in the fields one day?
3. How does the county help the Creightons after their barn is burned down?
4. How does Shadrach feel about his leaders in Chapter 8?
5. Why do federal agents come to the Creighton farm?
6. What happens when men gather to build the Creightons' a new barn?
7. What does Eb write about when he returns to his unit after deserting?
8. Where does Jethro go at the end of the book and why?
9. What does John write about at the beginning of Chapter 11?
10. What does Shadrach's aunt write to the Creighton family about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot and why?
Essay Topic 2
Guy Wortman and Dave Burdow are two characters who are very similar in their natures, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)