|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do soldiers do as they pass through towns in Georgia?
2. What becomes a very common thing for soldiers to do after the first year of war?
3. Who comes to visit Jethro at the end of the book?
4. What battle does John write about in Chapter 8?
5. What do the men all talk about after the barn has been built?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jenny goes to D.C.?
2. What does Shadrach's aunt write to the Creighton family about?
3. How does the county help the Creightons after their barn is burned down?
4. What does Shadrach write to Jethro about in Chapter 11?
5. What makes Jethro less interested in his schooling at the beginning of Chapter 12?
6. Where does Jethro go at the end of the book and why?
7. Where does John see Bill, and why?
8. What does Jethro do when he hears about the end of the war?
9. What helps Shadrach while he is with his aunt?
10. What do Jenny and Jethro do when they hear of Tom's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how does it affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in the plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)