|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a battle won by the Confederates?
2. Who wins the battle of Gettysburg?
3. Who notices that Jethro is bothered by something after Jethro finds Eb?
4. What is General Hooker's nick-name?
5. Where is a known hide-out for deserters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jethro hears strange noises from the woods while working in the fields one day?
2. What happens when men gather to build the Creightons' a new barn?
3. How does Shadrach feel about his leaders in Chapter 8?
4. How is Guy Wortman finally arrested?
5. How do Jenny and Jethro follow what is happening in the war?
6. What does Jethro do when he is conflicted about Eb's desertion?
7. What does Shadrach write to Jethro about in Chapter 11?
8. What happens that ruins the peace in Jethro's life after the war is ended?
9. Who is the first in the area to return from the war, and what news does he bring?
10. What happens when Jenny goes to D.C.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Jenny's relationship with Shadrach change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Ross Milton was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
The story takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Irene Hunt have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)