|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Jethro stopped concentrating on his lessons in Chapter 12?
2. What does Jethro use to help him understand what is happening during the war?
3. Where does Jethro decide to live at the end of the book?
4. Where are the strange noises in the woods coming from while Jethro is working in the field?
5. Why is Guy Wortman arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jethro hears strange noises from the woods while working in the fields one day?
2. How does Shadrach feel about his leaders in Chapter 8?
3. Who is the first in the area to return from the war, and what news does he bring?
4. What does Shadrach write to Jethro about in Chapter 11?
5. What happens when Jenny goes to D.C.?
6. What makes Jethro less interested in his schooling at the beginning of Chapter 12?
7. What do Jenny and Jethro do when they hear of Tom's death?
8. What helps Shadrach while he is with his aunt?
9. What happens that ruins the peace in Jethro's life after the war is ended?
10. What does Jethro get upset about when the men are talking after building the new barn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in the plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Guy Wortman and Dave Burdow are two characters who are very similar in their natures, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
Essay Topic 3
The story takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Irene Hunt have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)