|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men show up to help re-build the Creighton's barn?
2. Which of the following is NOT something donated to the Creighton's after their barn is destroyed?
3. What does the President decide to do about the deserters?
4. Why is Guy Wortman arrested?
5. The Creightons' receive help with their barn in which seasons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Jethro less interested in his schooling at the beginning of Chapter 12?
2. How does the county help the Creightons after their barn is burned down?
3. How does Shadrach feel about his leaders in Chapter 8?
4. Where does John see Bill, and why?
5. What happens when Jethro hears strange noises from the woods while working in the fields one day?
6. How is Guy Wortman finally arrested?
7. What does Jethro do when he is conflicted about Eb's desertion?
8. Why do federal agents come to the Creighton farm?
9. What does Jethro get upset about when the men are talking after building the new barn?
10. What good news does John send his family about Bill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Responsibility and coming-of-age are two themes that are interwoven in many places of this plot. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
Essay Topic 2
Ross Milton was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)