|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ellen and Nancy do for the men who help build their barn?
2. Who tells Jethro about Lincoln's assassination?
3. Why has Jethro stopped concentrating on his lessons in Chapter 12?
4. What battle does Shadrach write about in Chapter 8?
5. Why is Hig Phillips murdered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jenny and Jethro do when they hear of Tom's death?
2. How do Jenny and Jethro follow what is happening in the war?
3. What makes Jethro less interested in his schooling at the beginning of Chapter 12?
4. What does Jethro do when he hears about the end of the war?
5. What does Jethro get upset about when the men are talking after building the new barn?
6. What does Eb write about when he returns to his unit after deserting?
7. Where does John see Bill, and why?
8. What happens when men gather to build the Creightons' a new barn?
9. What does John write about at the beginning of Chapter 11?
10. What happens that ruins the peace in Jethro's life after the war is ended?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot and why?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)