|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year was Jethro's barn destroyed?
2. What is General Hooker's nick-name?
3. Where is Chicamauga Creek?
4. Who did General Hooker replace in the army?
5. How old is Jenny when she gets married?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the county help the Creightons after their barn is burned down?
2. What does Shadrach write to Jethro about in Chapter 11?
3. What good news does John send his family about Bill?
4. What helps Shadrach while he is with his aunt?
5. Where does Jethro go at the end of the book and why?
6. How do Jenny and Jethro follow what is happening in the war?
7. What does John write about at the beginning of Chapter 11?
8. How does Shadrach feel about his leaders in Chapter 8?
9. What does Eb write about when he returns to his unit after deserting?
10. What does Shadrach's aunt write to the Creighton family about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal is a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)