|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Jethro's father be doing while Jethro is in town?
2. What is Jethro and his family planting at the beginning of the book?
3. How far away from the Creighton's house is Shadrach's cabin?
4. How did Jethro's barn get destroyed?
5. How old is Jethro when his father falls ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jethro feel about the love between Shadrach and Jenny?
2. What causes the nation to be more serious about the Civil War?
3. What does Bill choose to do at the end of Chapter 3, and why?
4. What added a lot of strain to the issues of war in Jethro's home state?
5. How does Bill feel about the war?
6. How is Jethro prepared for his first trip into town?
7. What is Matt doing when he gets hurt?
8. What responsibilities does Jethro take on when Matt is hurt?
9. Where does Shardach live, and why is this arrangement so unique?
10. Which side of the debate does Ellen's nephew believe in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations
Essay Topic 2
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot and why?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)