|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom do after the first big battle of the Civil War?
2. What is the occupation of the man who helps Jethro when he is being bullied at the store?
3. How does Jethro feel as he listens to his brothers argue about the war?
4. Where is Jethro when he is told who Bill has chosen to fight for?
5. How do many of Tom's friends die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the Creighton table when the subject of the war is brought up?
2. What happens to the farm while Matt is ill?
3. What is happening at the very beginning of the book?
4. What does Jethro's mother praise him for at the beginning of the book?
5. Which side of the debate does Ellen's nephew believe in?
6. How does Jethro feel as he listens to his brothers and cousin debate the issues of the war?
7. What does Jethro enjoy doing when the Civil War first begins?
8. What does Ellen do after reading the first letter from Tom since he left for the war?
9. How old is Jenny, and what is her role in the household?
10. Where does Shardach live, and why is this arrangement so unique?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how does it affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
How does Jenny's relationship with Shadrach change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)