|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first big battle of the Civil War?
2. Who helps Jethro in the fields when his father is hurt?
3. Why was Jenny's suitor refused?
4. Why does Jenny not want to share with Jethro when she receives something important?
5. Which side does Bill favor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reward does Jethro get at the beginning of the book?
2. What do Tom and Eb do at the beginning of the Civil War?
3. How do Jethro and his mother feel about the onset of the Civil War?
4. What happens at the Creighton table when the subject of the war is brought up?
5. Why is Jethro's farm being targeted in Chapter 6?
6. What happens to the farm while Matt is ill?
7. How old is Jenny, and what is her role in the household?
8. What happens when Jenny receives a personal letter from Shadrach?
9. What responsibilities does Jethro take on when Matt is hurt?
10. What is Matt doing when he gets hurt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot and why?
Essay Topic 2
The story takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Irene Hunt have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Guy Wortman and Dave Burdow are two characters who are very similar in their natures, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)