|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Ellen's ailment in Chapter 5?
2. What does Shadrach do for Jethro when he reads Tom's letter?
3. Who is the president when this book takes place?
4. What does Jenny receive that she does not want to share with Jethro?
5. What do many of Tom's friends do when the weather gets warm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jethro's farm being targeted in Chapter 6?
2. What does Ellen's nephew do when he first comes to visit Ellen?
3. What happens when Jethro gets to the store in town?
4. What does Ellen do after reading the first letter from Tom since he left for the war?
5. What causes the nation to be more serious about the Civil War?
6. How does Jethro feel as he listens to his brothers and cousin debate the issues of the war?
7. What happens to the farm while Matt is ill?
8. How does the nation respond to the beginning of the war?
9. What happens to Jethro on his ride home from town?
10. How does Bill feel about the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot and why?
Essay Topic 2
This plot takes place during the Civil War. How does this historic event shape the main characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)