|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children has Jethro's mother had?
2. Who sent the letter that Jenny does not want to share with Jethro?
3. How do most people hear updates about the war?
4. What is Ellen suffering from at the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. What happens to Jethro's barn while Matt is ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the Creighton table when the subject of the war is brought up?
2. What harm is done to Jethro's farm while Matt is ill?
3. What does Tom say in his first letter home from the war?
4. Why is Jethro sent to town alone in Chapter 5?
5. What does Ellen's nephew do when he first comes to visit Ellen?
6. What responsibilities does Jethro take on when Matt is hurt?
7. What do Tom and Eb do at the beginning of the Civil War?
8. How is Jethro helped after his experience in the town store?
9. Why is Jethro's farm being targeted in Chapter 6?
10. What causes the nation to be more serious about the Civil War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
The story takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Irene Hunt have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)