|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comforts Jethro when he gets scared of the war?
2. How much older than Jethro is Jenny?
3. What is Tom's first battle?
4. What is the name of the closest town to Jethro's house?
5. What does Jenny receive that she does not want to share with Jethro?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening at the very beginning of the book?
2. What does Shadrach do after reading Tom's letter?
3. What reward does Jethro get at the beginning of the book?
4. What causes the nation to be more serious about the Civil War?
5. What happens to Jethro on his ride home from town?
6. What happens when Jenny receives a personal letter from Shadrach?
7. What do Tom and Eb do at the beginning of the Civil War?
8. How is Jethro prepared for his first trip into town?
9. What does Shadrach explain to Jethro before he leaves for war himself?
10. How old is Jenny, and what is her role in the household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Responsibility and coming-of-age are two themes that are interwoven in many places of this plot. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
Essay Topic 3
How does Jenny's relationship with Shadrach change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)