|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Jethro at night when the war begins?
2. What is the occupation of the man who helps Jethro when he is being bullied at the store?
3. Who protects Jethro from an ambush as he is heading home from town?
4. What is Ellen suffering from at the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. Why does Jenny not want to share with Jethro when she receives something important?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Ellen hears the men all debating heatedly about the issues of the war?
2. What responsibilities does Jethro take on when Matt is hurt?
3. What does Tom say in his first letter home from the war?
4. Which side of the debate does Ellen's nephew believe in?
5. What is Matt doing when he gets hurt?
6. What is Ellen suffering from in Chapter 5?
7. How old is Jenny, and what is her role in the household?
8. What does Jethro's mother praise him for at the beginning of the book?
9. What do Tom and Eb do at the beginning of the Civil War?
10. What causes the nation to be more serious about the Civil War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ross Milton was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)