|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Jethro's barn while Matt is ill?
2. What do the men in the store tease Jethro about?
3. How do many of Tom's friends die?
4. How was Jethro's well made unusable?
5. Who helps Jethro when he is being bullied at the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jethro and his mother feel about the onset of the Civil War?
2. What does Shadrach do after reading Tom's letter?
3. What does Tom say in his first letter home from the war?
4. What does Jethro enjoy doing when the Civil War first begins?
5. What happens when Ellen hears the men all debating heatedly about the issues of the war?
6. What does Jethro's mother praise him for at the beginning of the book?
7. What is Ellen suffering from in Chapter 5?
8. What causes the nation to be more serious about the Civil War?
9. What happens when Jenny receives a personal letter from Shadrach?
10. Where does Shardach live, and why is this arrangement so unique?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot and why?
Essay Topic 2
The story takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Irene Hunt have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Responsibility and coming-of-age are two themes that are interwoven in many places of this plot. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)