|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bill do after resorting to physical blows with someone about his views?
2. Who fights the most with Bill about his views when the war begins?
3. Where is Jethro's oldest brother at the beginning of the book?
4. How many children does John have?
5. What is the name of Jethro's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jethro's mother praise him for at the beginning of the book?
2. How does the nation respond to the beginning of the war?
3. What happens to the farm while Matt is ill?
4. How does Bill feel about the war?
5. What is Matt doing when he gets hurt?
6. What does Bill think about the issues of the war?
7. What happens at the Creighton table when the subject of the war is brought up?
8. What does Shadrach do after reading Tom's letter?
9. How does Jethro feel as he listens to his brothers and cousin debate the issues of the war?
10. How is Jethro prepared for his first trip into town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations
Essay Topic 2
The story takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Irene Hunt have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)