|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Jenny at the beginning of the book?
2. Who brings the family news of the beginning of the war?
3. Who loses the first big battle of the Civil War?
4. How much older than Jethro is Jenny?
5. What does Shadrach tell Jethro to NOT call the president?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jethro sent to town alone in Chapter 5?
2. Why is Jethro's farm being targeted in Chapter 6?
3. What is happening at the very beginning of the book?
4. How does Jethro feel as he listens to his brothers and cousin debate the issues of the war?
5. What responsibilities does Jethro take on when Matt is hurt?
6. What does Ellen's nephew do when he first comes to visit Ellen?
7. Which side of the debate does Ellen's nephew believe in?
8. What does Jethro's mother praise him for at the beginning of the book?
9. How do Jethro and his mother feel about the onset of the Civil War?
10. How is Jethro prepared for his first trip into town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
How does Jenny's relationship with Shadrach change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)