|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom do after the first big battle of the Civil War?
2. Which side does Tom favor?
3. What happens to Jethro's barn while Matt is ill?
4. What is the name of the closest town to Jethro's house?
5. What does Shadrach tell Jethro to call the president?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellen do after reading the first letter from Tom since he left for the war?
2. What does Shadrach explain to Jethro before he leaves for war himself?
3. What happens when Jethro gets to the store in town?
4. What does Tom say in his first letter home from the war?
5. What makes Jethro less interested in his schooling at the beginning of Chapter 12?
6. How do Jenny and Jethro follow what is happening in the war?
7. How does the county help the Creightons after their barn is burned down?
8. What does Jethro get upset about when the men are talking after building the new barn?
9. How does Bill feel about the war?
10. What happens when Jenny receives a personal letter from Shadrach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot and why?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 1,352 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)