|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Jethro's mother?
2. What happens to Jethro's well while Matt is ill?
3. Who is given charge of the farm when Matt is incapacitated?
4. How do most people hear updates about the war?
5. What does Tom do after the first big battle of the Civil War?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom say in his first letter home from the war?
2. What happens when Jethro gets to the store in town?
3. What does Ellen's nephew do when he first comes to visit Ellen?
4. What is Matt doing when he gets hurt?
5. What is Ellen suffering from in Chapter 5?
6. What happens at the Creighton table when the subject of the war is brought up?
7. How do Jethro and his mother feel about the onset of the Civil War?
8. What does Shadrach explain to Jethro before he leaves for war himself?
9. What does Jethro's mother praise him for at the beginning of the book?
10. What does Bill think about the issues of the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Guy Wortman and Dave Burdow are two characters who are very similar in their natures, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal is a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)