|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Jethro's barn while Matt is ill?
2. What does Eb do after the first big battle of the Civil War?
3. Who are the men waiting for at Jethro's house while they talk with Ellen's nephew?
4. What do the men in the store tease Jethro about?
5. What will Jethro's father be doing while Jethro is in town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bill choose to do at the end of Chapter 3, and why?
2. How does Bill feel about the war?
3. What does Jethro get upset about when the men are talking after building the new barn?
4. What helps Shadrach while he is with his aunt?
5. What harm is done to Jethro's farm while Matt is ill?
6. What do Jenny and Jethro do when they hear of Tom's death?
7. What happens when Jethro hears strange noises from the woods while working in the fields one day?
8. Why do federal agents come to the Creighton farm?
9. What does Shadrach do after reading Tom's letter?
10. How is Jethro prepared for his first trip into town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ross Milton was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how does it affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)