|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ellen send Jethro after hearing from Tom?
2. Which side does Bill choose to fight for?
3. How does Bill's family feel about his views?
4. How was Jethro's well made unusable?
5. What is the name of Jethro's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jethro sent to town alone in Chapter 5?
2. What happens when Jethro gets to the store in town?
3. What is Matt doing when he gets hurt?
4. What happens when Ellen hears the men all debating heatedly about the issues of the war?
5. What does Jethro's mother praise him for at the beginning of the book?
6. What reward does Jethro get at the beginning of the book?
7. How does Bill feel about the war?
8. Which side of the debate does Ellen's nephew believe in?
9. How is Jethro helped after his experience in the town store?
10. What happens to the farm while Matt is ill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Responsibility and coming-of-age are two themes that are interwoven in many places of this plot. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)