|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ellen's nephew from?
2. What is Shadrach's profession?
3. Where is Jethro's oldest brother at the beginning of the book?
4. What caused Ellen's ailment in Chapter 5?
5. Where is the first battle of the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bill think about the issues of the war?
2. What does Ellen's nephew do when he first comes to visit Ellen?
3. What does Shadrach do after reading Tom's letter?
4. What happens when Ellen hears the men all debating heatedly about the issues of the war?
5. What harm is done to Jethro's farm while Matt is ill?
6. How does Jethro feel as he listens to his brothers and cousin debate the issues of the war?
7. What does Shadrach explain to Jethro before he leaves for war himself?
8. What happens at the Creighton table when the subject of the war is brought up?
9. What does Bill choose to do at the end of Chapter 3, and why?
10. What is Ellen suffering from in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This plot takes place during the Civil War. How does this historic event shape the main characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Ross Milton was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)