|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom do after the first big battle of the Civil War?
2. What does Shadrach tell Jethro to call the president?
3. The Creighton family receives their first war letter from who?
4. How old is Jenny at the beginning of the book?
5. How does the community feel about Bill's views?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jethro's farm being targeted in Chapter 6?
2. What is Matt doing when he gets hurt?
3. How does Bill feel about the war?
4. How does the nation respond to the beginning of the war?
5. What does Jethro enjoy doing when the Civil War first begins?
6. What happens when Jenny receives a personal letter from Shadrach?
7. How does Jethro feel about the love between Shadrach and Jenny?
8. What happens when Jethro gets to the store in town?
9. What is happening at the very beginning of the book?
10. What does Bill think about the issues of the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Guy Wortman and Dave Burdow are two characters who are very similar in their natures, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
Essay Topic 2
How does Jenny's relationship with Shadrach change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)