|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jethro's favorite brother?
2. Who brings the family news of the beginning of the war?
3. What caused Ellen's ailment in Chapter 5?
4. How was Jethro's well made unusable?
5. How did Jethro's barn get destroyed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bill choose to do at the end of Chapter 3, and why?
2. What causes the nation to be more serious about the Civil War?
3. Which side of the debate does Ellen's nephew believe in?
4. What harm is done to Jethro's farm while Matt is ill?
5. How does the nation respond to the beginning of the war?
6. What happens when Ellen hears the men all debating heatedly about the issues of the war?
7. What reward does Jethro get at the beginning of the book?
8. What does Ellen do after reading the first letter from Tom since he left for the war?
9. What is Matt doing when he gets hurt?
10. How old is Jenny, and what is her role in the household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jethro endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)