|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far away from the Creighton's house is Shadrach's cabin?
2. What is done about the frequent visitors to the farm while Matt is ill?
3. Who brings the family news of the beginning of the war?
4. Who is Jethro's favorite brother?
5. Which side does Bill choose to fight for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Jethro prepared for his first trip into town?
2. How does Jethro feel as he listens to his brothers and cousin debate the issues of the war?
3. What does Jethro enjoy doing when the Civil War first begins?
4. What do Tom and Eb do at the beginning of the Civil War?
5. What does Shadrach do after reading Tom's letter?
6. Why is Jethro sent to town alone in Chapter 5?
7. What responsibilities does Jethro take on when Matt is hurt?
8. What does Bill choose to do at the end of Chapter 3, and why?
9. What happens to the farm while Matt is ill?
10. What happens at the Creighton table when the subject of the war is brought up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)