|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some people do on battlefields when the war begins?
2. What dinner does Shadrach make for Jethro when he shares Tom's letter?
3. What does Eb do after the first big battle of the Civil War?
4. What does Jethro get to do now that he helps in the fields?
5. What is Tom's first battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What added a lot of strain to the issues of war in Jethro's home state?
2. What does Ellen's nephew do when he first comes to visit Ellen?
3. What do Tom and Eb do at the beginning of the Civil War?
4. How does Jethro feel as he listens to his brothers and cousin debate the issues of the war?
5. How is Jethro prepared for his first trip into town?
6. What causes the nation to be more serious about the Civil War?
7. What harm is done to Jethro's farm while Matt is ill?
8. What is happening at the very beginning of the book?
9. What does Jethro enjoy doing when the Civil War first begins?
10. What happens at the Creighton table when the subject of the war is brought up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Irene Hunt have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in the plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)