|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bill think problems should be solved?
2. How does Bill's family feel about his views?
3. How does Jethro view the impending war?
4. What do the men in Jethro's family do when they hear of the beginning of the war?
5. What is the name of Jethro's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Tom and Eb do at the beginning of the Civil War?
2. Why is Jethro's farm being targeted in Chapter 6?
3. How does Jethro feel about the love between Shadrach and Jenny?
4. What does Bill think about the issues of the war?
5. What makes Jethro less interested in his schooling at the beginning of Chapter 12?
6. What happens to the farm while Matt is ill?
7. What does Jethro get upset about when the men are talking after building the new barn?
8. What does Jethro do when he is conflicted about Eb's desertion?
9. Where does John see Bill, and why?
10. What happens when men gather to build the Creightons' a new barn?
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
This plot takes place during the Civil War. How does this historic event shape the main characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in the plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)