|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is done about the frequent visitors to the farm while Matt is ill?
2. Which side does Bill choose to fight for?
3. Who sent the letter that Jenny does not want to share with Jethro?
4. What do many of Tom's friends do when the weather gets warm?
5. How does the nation respond to the start of the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jethro on his ride home from town?
2. What does Bill think about the issues of the war?
3. Which side of the debate does Ellen's nephew believe in?
4. What happens when Jethro gets to the store in town?
5. Why is Jethro sent to town alone in Chapter 5?
6. How is Jethro prepared for his first trip into town?
7. What reward does Jethro get at the beginning of the book?
8. What happens at the Creighton table when the subject of the war is brought up?
9. What does Shadrach explain to Jethro before he leaves for war himself?
10. What happens to the farm while Matt is ill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
This plot takes place during the Civil War. How does this historic event shape the main characters in the book?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)