|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hig Phillips murdered?
(a) His son joined the Confederate Army.
(b) He helped a Union deserter.
(c) He dodged the draft.
(d) He deserted.
2. Who is Shadrach serving under in Chapter 8?
(a) General Hacket.
(b) General Harvey.
(c) General McCLellan.
(d) General Grant.
3. What year was Jethro's barn destroyed?
4. Where does Jethro go when he hears the war has ended?
(a) To the train station.
(b) To John's house.
(c) To Ross Milton's house.
(d) Into town.
5. What news does the Lawrence boy bring home from the war?
(a) Tom is dead.
(b) Shad is wounded.
(c) Bill is alive.
(d) Eb is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Shadrach describe Grant in Chapter 11?
2. What month was the Gettysburg Address delivered in?
3. Which of the following is NOT something donated to the Creighton's after their barn is destroyed?
4. Where is Shadrach when Jenny comes to be with him?
5. What is the platform of the man running against Lincoln for his second term?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shadrach feel about his leaders in Chapter 8?
2. What makes Jethro less interested in his schooling at the beginning of Chapter 12?
3. Who is the first in the area to return from the war, and what news does he bring?
4. What happens when Jenny goes to D.C.?
5. What happens that ruins the peace in Jethro's life after the war is ended?
6. Where does John see Bill, and why?
7. What does John write about at the beginning of Chapter 11?
8. What does Eb write about when he returns to his unit after deserting?
9. How does the county help the Creightons after their barn is burned down?
10. What good news does John send his family about Bill?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)