|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to visit Jethro at the end of the book?
(a) Ross Milton.
2. Where is Jethro when he hears of Lincoln's assassination?
(a) The dinner table.
(b) The fields.
(c) His bed.
(d) The barn.
3. Why is Guy Wortman arrested?
(a) One of his men turns him in.
(b) His rifle is found in the Creighton's burned out barn.
(c) He is caught stealing.
(d) He is seen shooting at a family.
4. Why does Jethro get frustrated while the men are talking after the barn has been built?
(a) They think Jethro has a biased opinion.
(b) He feels they should be more respectful.
(c) He thinks there are more important things to discuss.
(d) They think he is too young to join in the conversation.
5. Why are the people frustrated with the Union Army in Chapter 7?
(a) Their lack of aggression.
(b) Their lack of supplies.
(c) Their poor organization.
(d) Their poor treatment of the soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jethro use to help him understand what is happening during the war?
2. What does Jethro use to write proper letters?
3. What month was the Gettysburg Address delivered in?
4. How are deserters punished?
5. Who tells Jethro about Lincoln's assassination?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the first in the area to return from the war, and what news does he bring?
2. Where does Jethro go at the end of the book and why?
3. What happens when Jethro hears strange noises from the woods while working in the fields one day?
4. Where does John see Bill, and why?
5. What helps Shadrach while he is with his aunt?
6. What does Eb write about when he returns to his unit after deserting?
7. What does Jethro get upset about when the men are talking after building the new barn?
8. What does Jethro do when he is conflicted about Eb's desertion?
9. What happens that ruins the peace in Jethro's life after the war is ended?
10. What happens when men gather to build the Creightons' a new barn?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)