|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hig Phillips murdered?
(a) His son joined the Confederate Army.
(b) He helped a Union deserter.
(c) He dodged the draft.
(d) He deserted.
2. The Creightons' receive help with their barn in which seasons?
(a) Spring and summer.
(b) Fall and winter.
(c) Summer and fall.
(d) Winter and spring.
3. Who sends some good logs over to help build the Creighton's barn?
(a) Dan Lawrence.
(b) Dave Burdow.
(c) Guy Wortman.
(d) Ross Milton.
4. What does the President decide to do about the deserters?
(a) Let them return to their posts.
(b) Allow them to go free.
(c) Give them amnesty.
(d) Take their pay away.
5. Which of the following is NOT something donated to the Creighton's after their barn is destroyed?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shadrach tell Jenny in his letter in Chapter 10?
2. Who wins the battle of Gettysburg?
3. Why does the Lawrence boy come home from the war in Chapter 7?
4. What is the platform of the man running against Lincoln for his second term?
5. Who is sent to update the family record after getting the news from the Lawrence boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jethro do when he is conflicted about Eb's desertion?
2. What does Shadrach's aunt write to the Creighton family about?
3. What do Jenny and Jethro do when they hear of Tom's death?
4. How does the county help the Creightons after their barn is burned down?
5. How do Jenny and Jethro follow what is happening in the war?
6. What good news does John send his family about Bill?
7. What happens to Hig Phillips in Chapter 9, and why?
8. What does John write about at the beginning of Chapter 11?
9. Where does John see Bill, and why?
10. What does Eb write about when he returns to his unit after deserting?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)