|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Jethro when he hears of Lincoln's assassination?
(a) His bed.
(b) The barn.
(c) The fields.
(d) The dinner table.
2. Who comes to visit Jethro at the end of the book?
(c) Ross Milton.
3. Who led the Confederate Army in the battle of Gettysburg?
4. Why is Hig Phillips murdered?
(a) He dodged the draft.
(b) He deserted.
(c) His son joined the Confederate Army.
(d) He helped a Union deserter.
5. Why are the people frustrated with the Union Army in Chapter 7?
(a) Their poor organization.
(b) Their poor treatment of the soldiers.
(c) Their lack of aggression.
(d) Their lack of supplies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is General Hooker's nick-name?
2. Where is a known hide-out for deserters?
3. Who did General Hooker replace in the army?
4. Who takes on the care of the farm at the end of the book?
5. Who is Shadrach serving under in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jenny and Jethro follow what is happening in the war?
2. Why do federal agents come to the Creighton farm?
3. What does John write about at the beginning of Chapter 11?
4. How is Guy Wortman finally arrested?
5. What does Shadrach write to Jethro about in Chapter 11?
6. What happens to Hig Phillips in Chapter 9, and why?
7. What do Jenny and Jethro do when they hear of Tom's death?
8. How does Shadrach feel about his leaders in Chapter 8?
9. What happens when men gather to build the Creightons' a new barn?
10. Where does John see Bill, and why?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)