|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Jethro when he hears of Lincoln's assassination?
(a) The barn.
(b) His bed.
(c) The fields.
(d) The dinner table.
2. Why does the Lawrence boy come home from the war in Chapter 7?
(a) His time is up.
(b) He is wounded.
(c) He has a message to deliver.
(d) His commander heard about his father's death.
3. What is General Hooker's nick-name?
(a) General Joe.
(b) Hookin' em' Hooker.
(c) Fighting Joe.
(d) Hook and Sinker.
4. Which of the following is NOT a battle won by the Confederates?
(a) New Madrid.
(b) Fort Sumter.
(c) Pea Ridge.
(d) New Orleans.
5. What do Jenny and Jethro not like about the federal agents that come to the farm?
(a) Their disrespect to the president.
(b) Their language.
(c) Their mannerisms.
(d) Their smell of tobacco.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do people come from to help repair the Creighton barn?
2. Who sends a letter to Shadrach about the battle at Chicamauga Creek?
3. Where is Shadrach when Jenny comes to be with him?
4. Why does Jethro get frustrated while the men are talking after the barn has been built?
5. Who led the Union in Chicamauga Creek?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jenny and Jethro follow what is happening in the war?
2. What good news does John send his family about Bill?
3. What does Shadrach write to Jethro about in Chapter 11?
4. Where does Jethro go at the end of the book and why?
5. What happens when Jethro hears strange noises from the woods while working in the fields one day?
6. What does Shadrach's aunt write to the Creighton family about?
7. What happens that ruins the peace in Jethro's life after the war is ended?
8. What makes Jethro less interested in his schooling at the beginning of Chapter 12?
9. What does Jethro get upset about when the men are talking after building the new barn?
10. How does Shadrach feel about his leaders in Chapter 8?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)