|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Jenny when she gets married?
2. What news does the Lawrence boy bring home from the war?
(a) Tom is dead.
(b) Eb is dead.
(c) Bill is alive.
(d) Shad is wounded.
3. How does Shadrach feel about his general in Chapter 8?
(a) He is highly devoted to him.
(b) He does not think he is skilled enough.
(c) He feels he does not follow orders well.
(d) He owes the man his life.
4. What does Jethro use to help him understand what is happening during the war?
(a) Newspaper articles.
(b) Bill's letters.
(c) A geography book.
(d) Shad's map.
5. Where is Shadrach when Jenny comes to be with him?
(a) North Carolina.
(b) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What battle was Shadrach wounded in?
2. Who led the Confederate Army in the battle of Gettysburg?
3. Who comes to visit Jethro at the end of the book?
4. The Creightons' receive help with their barn in which seasons?
5. Who is causing widespread destruction in the area in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does John see Bill, and why?
2. How does the county help the Creightons after their barn is burned down?
3. What does Shadrach write to Jethro about in Chapter 11?
4. What does Eb write about when he returns to his unit after deserting?
5. What happens that ruins the peace in Jethro's life after the war is ended?
6. What do Jenny and Jethro do when they hear of Tom's death?
7. What does John write about at the beginning of Chapter 11?
8. How do Jenny and Jethro follow what is happening in the war?
9. What happens when Jethro hears strange noises from the woods while working in the fields one day?
10. How is Guy Wortman finally arrested?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)