|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to visit Jethro at the end of the book?
(d) Ross Milton.
2. What battle does Shadrach write about in Chapter 8?
(a) Pea Ridge.
(c) New Madrid.
3. Which of the following is NOT a battle won by the Confederates?
(a) Fort Sumter.
(b) New Madrid.
(c) Pea Ridge.
(d) New Orleans.
4. Who is Shadrach serving under in Chapter 8?
(a) General Harvey.
(b) General Hacket.
(c) General Grant.
(d) General McCLellan.
5. The Creightons' receive help with their barn in which seasons?
(a) Summer and fall.
(b) Spring and summer.
(c) Fall and winter.
(d) Winter and spring.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do federal agents come to the Creighton's house?
2. What month was the Gettysburg Address delivered in?
3. What does the President decide to do about the deserters?
4. Who runs against Lincoln for his second term in office?
5. What becomes a very common thing for soldiers to do after the first year of war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eb write about when he returns to his unit after deserting?
2. What does John write about at the beginning of Chapter 11?
3. What good news does John send his family about Bill?
4. Where does John see Bill, and why?
5. How does the county help the Creightons after their barn is burned down?
6. What does Jethro get upset about when the men are talking after building the new barn?
7. What happens when Jethro hears strange noises from the woods while working in the fields one day?
8. How is Guy Wortman finally arrested?
9. Who is the first in the area to return from the war, and what news does he bring?
10. What makes Jethro less interested in his schooling at the beginning of Chapter 12?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)