|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men in the store tease Jethro about?
(a) His young age.
(b) Mary's death.
(c) Bill joining the Confederate Army.
(d) Tom dying at war.
2. What happens to Jethro at night when the war begins?
(a) He stays up reading.
(b) He has nightmares.
(c) He fears his house will be attacked.
(d) He can't sleep.
3. Where is Shadrach heading a week after reading Tom's letter?
(a) On a trip abroad.
(b) Taking his family out west.
(c) To fight for the Union.
(d) To fight for the Confederacy.
4. How many children does John have?
5. Why is Matt's family being so targeted in Chapter 6?
(a) Jethro did not trade well when he was in town.
(b) Bill joined the confederacy.
(c) Tom joined the Union.
(d) Matt said some harsh things about Guy Wortman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift is Jethro given while he is in town?
2. Where is Jethro when he is told who Bill has chosen to fight for?
3. Where is John going a week after reading Tom's letter?
4. Why does Jenny not want to share with Jethro when she receives something important?
5. Who is the most riled up about the beginning of the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jethro feel as he listens to his brothers and cousin debate the issues of the war?
2. What does Shadrach explain to Jethro before he leaves for war himself?
3. How does the nation respond to the beginning of the war?
4. What happens when Ellen hears the men all debating heatedly about the issues of the war?
5. What is happening at the very beginning of the book?
6. Where does Shardach live, and why is this arrangement so unique?
7. How is Jethro helped after his experience in the town store?
8. How does Jethro feel about the love between Shadrach and Jenny?
9. What do Tom and Eb do at the beginning of the Civil War?
10. What reward does Jethro get at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)