|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Mary when she died?
2. What is Shadrach's profession?
3. Which war begins during the second chapter of this book?
(a) The Revolutionary War.
(b) The Mexican War.
(c) The Civil War.
(d) The French and Indian War.
4. How do most people hear updates about the war?
(a) Word of mouth.
(b) Radio broadcasts.
(c) Letters from soldiers.
5. What month is it when Ellen first hears from Tom?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ellen send Jethro after hearing from Tom?
2. How did the mob want to kill the man who killed Mary?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 5, what is Jethro sent into town to get?
4. How old is Jethro when his father falls ill?
5. What does Jethro enjoy doing when the war begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jethro feel about the love between Shadrach and Jenny?
2. What does Shadrach explain to Jethro before he leaves for war himself?
3. What causes the nation to be more serious about the Civil War?
4. What does Ellen's nephew do when he first comes to visit Ellen?
5. Why is Jethro sent to town alone in Chapter 5?
6. How is Jethro prepared for his first trip into town?
7. What reward does Jethro get at the beginning of the book?
8. What do Tom and Eb do at the beginning of the Civil War?
9. What does Ellen do after reading the first letter from Tom since he left for the war?
10. What does Jethro enjoy doing when the Civil War first begins?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)