|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which side does Bill favor?
(a) Neither side.
(b) A little bit of both.
(c) The North.
(d) The South.
2. What do the men in Jethro's family do when they hear of the beginning of the war?
(a) Start fighting.
(b) Busy themselves with other tasks.
(c) Change the subject.
(d) Kneel to pray.
3. Whose house is Jethro nervous of passing on his way to town?
(a) Donald Bidwell's
(b) Thomas Bidwell's.
(c) Travis Burdow's.
(d) David Burdow's.
4. What does Jenny give to Jethro as a special treat at the beginning of the book?
(a) The first greens from the garden.
(b) A cup of coffee.
(d) A new book.
5. Which side of the war does Jethro believe in?
(a) The Union.
(b) Neither side.
(c) A little bit of both sides.
(d) The South.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jenny receive that she does not want to share with Jethro?
2. Where is Jethro when he is told who Bill has chosen to fight for?
3. What happens while Matt is heading to Dave Burdow's house?
4. How do most people hear updates about the war?
5. What month is it when Ellen first hears from Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jethro's mother praise him for at the beginning of the book?
2. Which side of the debate does Ellen's nephew believe in?
3. What does Shadrach explain to Jethro before he leaves for war himself?
4. How does the nation respond to the beginning of the war?
5. What responsibilities does Jethro take on when Matt is hurt?
6. What does Jethro enjoy doing when the Civil War first begins?
7. What happens when Ellen hears the men all debating heatedly about the issues of the war?
8. What happens when Jenny receives a personal letter from Shadrach?
9. How does Jethro feel about the love between Shadrach and Jenny?
10. What causes the nation to be more serious about the Civil War?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)