|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 5, what is Jethro sent into town to get?
(a) A bandage.
(b) The doctor.
(c) Castor oil.
2. Who demands that the boys stop their talk of war?
3. Who is given charge of the farm when Matt is incapacitated?
(d) Dave Burdow.
4. What is Jethro and his family planting at the beginning of the book?
5. What does Bill do after resorting to physical blows with someone about his views?
(b) Joins the Army.
(c) Stops speaking.
(d) Leaves home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Jethro's father?
2. What is the occupation of the man who helps Jethro when he is being bullied at the store?
3. Who proposed to Jenny?
4. What is Ellen's nephew's name?
5. Who is Jethro's favorite brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ellen suffering from in Chapter 5?
2. How does Jethro feel as he listens to his brothers and cousin debate the issues of the war?
3. What does Bill think about the issues of the war?
4. How is Jethro helped after his experience in the town store?
5. How old is Jenny, and what is her role in the household?
6. What does Ellen do after reading the first letter from Tom since he left for the war?
7. Where does Shardach live, and why is this arrangement so unique?
8. What responsibilities does Jethro take on when Matt is hurt?
9. What does Jethro's mother praise him for at the beginning of the book?
10. What does Tom say in his first letter home from the war?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)