|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does John's family decide to stay with Ellen?
(a) They are worried about Matt dying.
(b) Their dog went missing.
(c) Jethro needs the help.
(d) They are low on food.
2. What happens to Jethro's barn while Matt is ill?
(a) It is contaminated.
(b) It is flooded.
(c) It is torn apart.
(d) It burns down.
3. What is Ellen suffering from at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) A headache.
(b) A sprained ankle.
(c) A stomach ache.
(d) Some chest pains.
4. Where is Jethro's oldest brother at the beginning of the book?
(a) In jail.
(b) In California.
(c) At war.
(d) In Heaven.
5. Who pays frequent visits to the farm while Matt is ill?
(a) Guy Wortman.
(c) Russ Milton.
(d) Dave Burdow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jethro and his family live?
2. Where is John going a week after reading Tom's letter?
3. Who sent the letter that Jenny does not want to share with Jethro?
4. What gift is Jethro given while he is in town?
5. Why was Jenny's suitor refused?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ellen suffering from in Chapter 5?
2. What does Bill think about the issues of the war?
3. What is Matt doing when he gets hurt?
4. What does Ellen's nephew do when he first comes to visit Ellen?
5. What does Jethro's mother praise him for at the beginning of the book?
6. What does Bill choose to do at the end of Chapter 3, and why?
7. What happens to Jethro on his ride home from town?
8. What reward does Jethro get at the beginning of the book?
9. What added a lot of strain to the issues of war in Jethro's home state?
10. Which side of the debate does Ellen's nephew believe in?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)