|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jenny give to Jethro as a special treat at the beginning of the book?
(b) A cup of coffee.
(c) A new book.
(d) The first greens from the garden.
2. Where is Jethro when he is told who Bill has chosen to fight for?
(a) In the barn.
(b) In his bed.
(c) In school.
(d) In the fields.
3. How does the nation respond to the start of the war?
(a) They start to move.
(b) They celebrate.
(c) They cringe in fear.
(d) They are all very angry.
4. Ellen's nephew favors which side of the war?
(a) The North.
(b) Neither side.
(c) The South.
(d) A little bit of both.
5. Why was Jenny's suitor refused?
(a) She is too young.
(b) He is too young.
(c) Jenny did not love him.
(d) He has no money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jenny's father refuse to let her marry Shadrach after receiving Tom's letter?
2. What is the occupation of the man who helps Jethro when he is being bullied at the store?
3. Who killed Jethro's sister, Mary?
4. What does Jethro enjoy doing when the war begins?
5. How does Bill think problems should be solved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ellen suffering from in Chapter 5?
2. What happens to the farm while Matt is ill?
3. How do Jethro and his mother feel about the onset of the Civil War?
4. What does Bill choose to do at the end of Chapter 3, and why?
5. What happens when Jenny receives a personal letter from Shadrach?
6. How does Bill feel about the war?
7. What happens to Jethro on his ride home from town?
8. What is happening at the very beginning of the book?
9. Which side of the debate does Ellen's nephew believe in?
10. What causes the nation to be more serious about the Civil War?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)