|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do most people hear updates about the war?
(a) Word of mouth.
(b) Letters from soldiers.
(c) Radio broadcasts.
2. What do many of Tom's friends do when the weather gets warm?
(a) Got heat exhaustion.
(b) Died of thirst.
(c) Sold their blankets.
(d) Threw their winter gear away.
3. What happens to Jethro's well while Matt is ill?
(a) It is filled in.
(b) It is covered with large stones.
(c) It dries up.
(d) It is contaminated.
4. Where is Ellen's nephew from?
(a) South Carolina.
5. Whose farm was Jethro taking care of when his father was incapacitated?
(c) Dave Burdow's.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jethro feel as he listens to his brothers argue about the war?
2. What does Jethro enjoy doing when the war begins?
3. How does Bill's family feel about his views?
4. Who is given charge of the farm when Matt is incapacitated?
5. What does Shadrach tell Jethro to NOT call the president?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bill think about the issues of the war?
2. Where does Shardach live, and why is this arrangement so unique?
3. What causes the nation to be more serious about the Civil War?
4. How old is Jenny, and what is her role in the household?
5. What is Ellen suffering from in Chapter 5?
6. What does Shadrach explain to Jethro before he leaves for war himself?
7. What does Tom say in his first letter home from the war?
8. What happens when Jenny receives a personal letter from Shadrach?
9. What does Shadrach do after reading Tom's letter?
10. What does Ellen do after reading the first letter from Tom since he left for the war?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)