|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Shadrach's profession?
2. Who loses the first big battle of the Civil War?
(a) The Confederates.
(b) The Union.
(c) Nobody- it is a draw.
(d) The civilians.
3. What does Shadrach do for Jethro when he reads Tom's letter?
(a) Promises to find Tom and bring him home.
(b) Draws a map.
(c) Prays with him.
(d) Tells him that Tom will be fine.
4. How far away from the Creighton's house is Shadrach's cabin?
(a) 3 miles.
(b) 4 miles.
(c) 1 mile.
(d) 2 miles.
5. What does Jethro enjoy doing when the war begins?
(a) Pretending to be a soldier.
(b) Learning about the army advancements.
(c) Reading about the Union success.
(d) Reading about the Confederate success.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who killed Jethro's sister, Mary?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 5, what is Jethro sent into town to get?
3. What is Jethro and his family planting at the beginning of the book?
4. How old is Ellen's nephew?
5. What do some people do on battlefields when the war begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Ellen hears the men all debating heatedly about the issues of the war?
2. What happens at the Creighton table when the subject of the war is brought up?
3. How does Jethro feel about the love between Shadrach and Jenny?
4. How does the nation respond to the beginning of the war?
5. What causes the nation to be more serious about the Civil War?
6. Why is Jethro's farm being targeted in Chapter 6?
7. How is Jethro prepared for his first trip into town?
8. What does Bill think about the issues of the war?
9. What is Matt doing when he gets hurt?
10. What is happening at the very beginning of the book?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)