|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do some people do on battlefields when the war begins?
(a) Take pictures.
(b) Call for peace.
2. Where is Shadrach heading a week after reading Tom's letter?
(a) On a trip abroad.
(b) Taking his family out west.
(c) To fight for the Union.
(d) To fight for the Confederacy.
3. What is the name of the closest town to Jethro's house?
4. How do many of Tom's friends die?
(a) Died of food poisoning.
(b) Froze to death.
(c) Starved to death.
(d) Got shot.
5. How far away is the Creighton's house from the nearest town?
(a) 60 miles.
(b) 30 miles.
(c) 15 miles.
(d) 45 miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ellen's nephew from?
2. How does Bill think problems should be solved?
3. Why does John's family decide to stay with Ellen?
4. Which war begins during the second chapter of this book?
5. Where does Jethro eat lunch while he is in town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the nation to be more serious about the Civil War?
2. What does Tom say in his first letter home from the war?
3. Why is Jethro sent to town alone in Chapter 5?
4. What is happening at the very beginning of the book?
5. What is Ellen suffering from in Chapter 5?
6. What does Ellen do after reading the first letter from Tom since he left for the war?
7. What reward does Jethro get at the beginning of the book?
8. How old is Jenny, and what is her role in the household?
9. What does Jethro enjoy doing when the Civil War first begins?
10. Why is Jethro's farm being targeted in Chapter 6?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)