|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first big battle of the Civil War?
(a) The Battle of Bull Run.
(b) The Battle of Georgetown.
(c) The Battle of Gettysburg.
(d) The Battle of Winesborough.
2. Who refused Jenny's suitor?
(a) Jenny's mother.
(b) Jenny's father.
(d) Jenny's brothers.
3. Who kept a mob from killing the man who killed Mary?
(a) Matt Creighton.
(c) David Burdow.
(d) Shadrach Hale.
4. What is Shadrach's profession?
5. What does Bill do after resorting to physical blows with someone about his views?
(b) Stops speaking.
(c) Joins the Army.
(d) Leaves home.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Jethro when his father falls ill?
2. What do the men in Jethro's family try to avoid when they hear of the beginning of the war?
3. Who protects Jethro from an ambush as he is heading home from town?
4. Why does John's family decide to stay with Ellen?
5. Who killed Jethro's sister, Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom say in his first letter home from the war?
2. What causes the nation to be more serious about the Civil War?
3. What is Ellen suffering from in Chapter 5?
4. Which side of the debate does Ellen's nephew believe in?
5. What does Bill think about the issues of the war?
6. What is Matt doing when he gets hurt?
7. Where does Shardach live, and why is this arrangement so unique?
8. What does Ellen do after reading the first letter from Tom since he left for the war?
9. Why is Jethro sent to town alone in Chapter 5?
10. What added a lot of strain to the issues of war in Jethro's home state?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)