|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Jethro's barn while Matt is ill?
(a) It is torn apart.
(b) It is flooded.
(c) It burns down.
(d) It is contaminated.
2. Who helps Jethro understand why Jenny won't share what she has with Jethro?
3. What happens to Jethro at night when the war begins?
(a) He stays up reading.
(b) He has nightmares.
(c) He can't sleep.
(d) He fears his house will be attacked.
4. What will Jethro's father be doing while Jethro is in town?
(a) Caring for Ellen.
(b) Trading for goods.
(c) Working the fields.
(d) Bringing in the harvest.
5. How many of Jethro's siblings have died at the beginning of the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the nation respond to the start of the war?
2. Which side does Bill choose to fight for?
3. What month is it when Ellen first hears from Tom?
4. What is the first big battle of the Civil War?
5. Why does Jenny not want to share with Jethro when she receives something important?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jethro gets to the store in town?
2. How do Jethro and his mother feel about the onset of the Civil War?
3. What does Jethro's mother praise him for at the beginning of the book?
4. What is Ellen suffering from in Chapter 5?
5. What reward does Jethro get at the beginning of the book?
6. What does Jethro enjoy doing when the Civil War first begins?
7. How old is Jenny, and what is her role in the household?
8. How is Jethro prepared for his first trip into town?
9. What is Matt doing when he gets hurt?
10. What does Shadrach do after reading Tom's letter?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)