|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who pays frequent visits to the farm while Matt is ill?
(a) Guy Wortman.
(b) Dave Burdow.
(c) Russ Milton.
2. Who fights the most with Bill about his views when the war begins?
3. Whose farm was Jethro taking care of when his father was incapacitated?
(a) Dave Burdow's.
4. Ellen's nephew favors which side of the war?
(a) Neither side.
(b) The South.
(c) The North.
(d) A little bit of both.
5. Why does John's family decide to stay with Ellen?
(a) They are low on food.
(b) Jethro needs the help.
(c) They are worried about Matt dying.
(d) Their dog went missing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who loses the first big battle of the Civil War?
2. What does Jenny receive that she does not want to share with Jethro?
3. How old is Jethro when this book begins?
4. What word does Bill use to describe war when talking to Jethro?
5. How does Jethro view the impending war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jethro feel about the love between Shadrach and Jenny?
2. What does Tom say in his first letter home from the war?
3. What happens when Jethro gets to the store in town?
4. How does Bill feel about the war?
5. What happens to Jethro on his ride home from town?
6. What is happening at the very beginning of the book?
7. How is Jethro helped after his experience in the town store?
8. What harm is done to Jethro's farm while Matt is ill?
9. What does John write about at the beginning of Chapter 11?
10. What does Ellen do after reading the first letter from Tom since he left for the war?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)