|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Creightons' receive help with their barn in which seasons?
(a) Winter and spring.
(b) Spring and summer.
(c) Summer and fall.
(d) Fall and winter.
2. Who runs against Lincoln for his second term in office?
3. Which of the following is NOT a battle won by the Confederates?
(a) New Madrid.
(b) Pea Ridge.
(c) Fort Sumter.
(d) New Orleans.
4. Where does Jethro go when he hears the war has ended?
(a) To Ross Milton's house.
(b) To John's house.
(c) To the train station.
(d) Into town.
5. What does Jethro use to write proper letters?
(a) Shad's teachings.
(b) The book Ross gave him.
(c) The Bible.
(d) A grammar book his mother gave him.
6. Why is Hig Phillips murdered?
(a) His son joined the Confederate Army.
(b) He helped a Union deserter.
(c) He deserted.
(d) He dodged the draft.
7. In what month does the Civil War officially end?
8. What does Shadrach tell Jenny in his letter in Chapter 10?
(a) Not to hope too much for their future together.
(b) To find a way to move on.
(c) That he is a changed man.
(d) That he will be home soon.
9. Who does John see while tending to rebel prisoners?
10. Who is sent to update the family record after getting the news from the Lawrence boy?
11. Who notices that Jethro is bothered by something after Jethro finds Eb?
12. How are deserters punished?
13. Who takes on the care of the farm at the end of the book?
(a) Jenny and Shadrach.
(d) Eb and John.
14. What do the men all talk about after the barn has been built?
(a) The weather.
(b) The president.
(c) Guy Wortman.
(d) The war.
15. What does Jethro use to help him understand what is happening during the war?
(a) Newspaper articles.
(b) Shad's map.
(c) A geography book.
(d) Bill's letters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jethro decide to live at the end of the book?
2. What month was the Gettysburg Address delivered in?
3. What do Jenny and Jethro not like about the federal agents that come to the farm?
4. What news does the Lawrence boy bring home from the war?
5. How many northern soldiers are killed at Chancellorsville?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)