|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jethro get frustrated while the men are talking after the barn has been built?
(a) They think he is too young to join in the conversation.
(b) They think Jethro has a biased opinion.
(c) He feels they should be more respectful.
(d) He thinks there are more important things to discuss.
2. What is the platform of the man running against Lincoln for his second term?
(a) Civil Rights.
(b) Re-establishment of the Union.
(d) Peace at all costs.
3. What year was Jethro's barn destroyed?
4. Who tells Jethro about Lincoln's assassination?
5. Why are the people frustrated with the Union Army in Chapter 7?
(a) Their lack of aggression.
(b) Their poor treatment of the soldiers.
(c) Their lack of supplies.
(d) Their poor organization.
6. What year does Chapter 12 take place in?
7. What battle was Shadrach wounded in?
8. What does the President decide to do about the deserters?
(a) Allow them to go free.
(b) Give them amnesty.
(c) Let them return to their posts.
(d) Take their pay away.
9. Where is Shadrach when Jenny comes to be with him?
(b) North Carolina.
(d) New York.
10. What is General Hooker's nick-name?
(a) Hookin' em' Hooker.
(b) Fighting Joe.
(c) Hook and Sinker.
(d) General Joe.
11. What month does the battle at Chancellorsville take place?
12. Why does the Lawrence boy come home from the war in Chapter 7?
(a) His time is up.
(b) He is wounded.
(c) He has a message to deliver.
(d) His commander heard about his father's death.
13. Who does Shad plan to vote for in the next presidential election?
14. What do the men all talk about after the barn has been built?
(a) The president.
(b) The weather.
(c) The war.
(d) Guy Wortman.
15. What becomes a very common thing for soldiers to do after the first year of war?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jethro go when he hears the war has ended?
2. The Creightons' receive help with their barn in which seasons?
3. Who comes to visit Jethro at the end of the book?
4. Who takes on the care of the farm at the end of the book?
5. Who sends some good logs over to help build the Creighton's barn?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)