|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Lawrence boy come home from the war in Chapter 7?
(a) He has a message to deliver.
(b) His time is up.
(c) He is wounded.
(d) His commander heard about his father's death.
2. Where is Jethro when he hears of Lincoln's assassination?
(a) The fields.
(b) The barn.
(c) The dinner table.
(d) His bed.
3. What do Ellen and Nancy do for the men who help build their barn?
(a) Hold a dance.
(b) Make dinner.
(c) Promise them portions of the harvest.
(d) Pay them some money.
4. What does Jethro say is bothering him when he is questioned after finding Eb?
(a) He is tired.
(b) He has bad dreams.
(c) He has been smoking.
(d) He wishes he could join the army.
5. In what month does the Civil War officially end?
6. What battle does Shadrach write about in Chapter 8?
(b) New Madrid.
(d) Pea Ridge.
7. Where does Jethro go when he hears the war has ended?
(a) Into town.
(b) To John's house.
(c) To Ross Milton's house.
(d) To the train station.
8. In what month is Jenny and Shadrach married?
9. How does the family react when Jethro receives a letter back?
(a) They are confused.
(b) They are happy.
(c) They are shocked.
(d) They are angry.
10. Who did General Hooker replace in the army?
11. What month was the Gettysburg Address delivered in?
12. Why has Jethro stopped concentrating on his lessons in Chapter 12?
(a) Shadrach is gone.
(b) His father asked him to stop.
(c) He is too busy with the farm work.
(d) He has read all of the books he has.
13. What does Jethro use to help him understand what is happening during the war?
(a) Newspaper articles.
(b) Bill's letters.
(c) Shad's map.
(d) A geography book.
14. How are deserters punished?
15. What does Jethro carry while working in the fields after the federal agents come to the farm?
(a) A weapon.
(b) A map.
(d) A book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the first soldier in the area to return home from the war?
2. Why does Jethro get frustrated while the men are talking after the barn has been built?
3. Where are the strange noises in the woods coming from while Jethro is working in the field?
4. Where are the Creighton births and deaths recorded?
5. The Creightons' receive help with their barn in which seasons?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)