|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Jenny and Jethro not like about the federal agents that come to the farm?
(a) Their language.
(b) Their mannerisms.
(c) Their smell of tobacco.
(d) Their disrespect to the president.
2. Who wins the battle of Gettysburg?
(a) The South.
(b) Neither side.
(c) They both think they won.
(d) The North.
3. Why does the Lawrence boy come home from the war in Chapter 7?
(a) His time is up.
(b) He is wounded.
(c) His commander heard about his father's death.
(d) He has a message to deliver.
4. How does Shadrach feel about his general in Chapter 8?
(a) He does not think he is skilled enough.
(b) He feels he does not follow orders well.
(c) He owes the man his life.
(d) He is highly devoted to him.
5. What battle does John write about in Chapter 8?
(b) Fort Henry.
(c) Fort Donelson.
(d) Stones River.
6. Who comes to visit Jethro at the end of the book?
(a) Ross Milton.
7. Why has Jethro stopped concentrating on his lessons in Chapter 12?
(a) He is too busy with the farm work.
(b) His father asked him to stop.
(c) He has read all of the books he has.
(d) Shadrach is gone.
8. Who runs against Lincoln for his second term in office?
9. Where is Shadrach when Jenny comes to be with him?
(c) North Carolina.
(d) New York.
10. Where does Jethro go when he hears the war has ended?
(a) To John's house.
(b) To the train station.
(c) Into town.
(d) To Ross Milton's house.
11. What does Jethro carry while working in the fields after the federal agents come to the farm?
(a) A book.
(c) A map.
(d) A weapon.
12. What year does Chapter 12 take place in?
13. What do Ellen and Nancy do for the men who help build their barn?
(a) Make dinner.
(b) Pay them some money.
(c) Hold a dance.
(d) Promise them portions of the harvest.
14. What is the platform of the man running against Lincoln for his second term?
(a) Re-establishment of the Union.
(c) Peace at all costs.
(d) Civil Rights.
15. Who did General Hooker replace in the army?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is General Hooker's nick-name?
2. What does Jethro say is bothering him when he is questioned after finding Eb?
3. What battle was Shadrach wounded in?
4. Which of the following is NOT a battle won by the Confederates?
5. Who led the Union Army in the battle of Gettysburg?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)