|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Matt's family being so targeted in Chapter 6?
(a) Jethro did not trade well when he was in town.
(b) Bill joined the confederacy.
(c) Tom joined the Union.
(d) Matt said some harsh things about Guy Wortman.
2. Which of the following is NOT something Jethro's father gives him before sending him to town?
(a) A rifle.
(c) Trading goods.
(d) A knife.
3. Which war begins during the second chapter of this book?
(a) The Revolutionary War.
(b) The Mexican War.
(c) The French and Indian War.
(d) The Civil War.
4. How do most people hear updates about the war?
(a) Letters from soldiers.
(b) Radio broadcasts.
(d) Word of mouth.
5. Who brings the family news of the beginning of the war?
(c) The postman.
6. What do many of Tom's friends do when the weather gets warm?
(a) Threw their winter gear away.
(b) Got heat exhaustion.
(c) Died of thirst.
(d) Sold their blankets.
7. Who fights the most with Bill about his views when the war begins?
8. What do the men in Jethro's family try to avoid when they hear of the beginning of the war?
(c) Their mother.
(d) Ellen's nephew.
9. What do the men in the store tease Jethro about?
(a) His young age.
(b) Bill joining the Confederate Army.
(c) Mary's death.
(d) Tom dying at war.
10. What does Tom do after the first big battle of the Civil War?
(a) Joins the Confederate Army.
(b) Joins the Union Army.
(c) Goes to college.
(d) Takes a trip aboad to avoid the fighting.
11. What dinner does Shadrach make for Jethro when he shares Tom's letter?
(a) Hot cakes.
(b) Roast chicken.
(d) Roast beef.
12. What does Bill do after resorting to physical blows with someone about his views?
(a) Leaves home.
(b) Stops speaking.
(d) Joins the Army.
13. What does Jethro get to do now that he helps in the fields?
(a) Sit at the adult table.
(b) Ride a horse to town on his own.
(c) Get some money.
(d) Get his own room.
14. What does Shadrach tell Jethro to call the president?
(a) Mr. Lincoln.
(b) Sir Lincoln.
(c) President Lincoln.
(d) Mr. President.
15. What does Jenny receive that she does not want to share with Jethro?
(a) A book.
(b) A letter.
(c) Some candy.
(d) Some bread.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of Jethro's siblings have died at the beginning of the book?
2. What is the name of John's wife?
3. Who sent the letter that Jenny does not want to share with Jethro?
4. How old is Jethro when this book begins?
5. What does Shadrach do for Jethro when he reads Tom's letter?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)