|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who brings the family news of the beginning of the war?
(a) The postman.
2. Which war begins during the second chapter of this book?
(a) The French and Indian War.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) The Revolutionary War.
(d) The Mexican War.
3. How old is Ellen's nephew?
(a) Younger than Jethro.
(b) The same age as Shadrach.
(c) As old as her older sons.
(d) A few years younger than Jenny.
4. Where does Jethro and his family live?
5. How does Bill's family feel about his views?
(a) They are suspicious of him.
(b) They are ashamed of him.
(c) They resent them.
(d) They respect him.
6. How do many of Tom's friends die?
(a) Got shot.
(b) Froze to death.
(c) Died of food poisoning.
(d) Starved to death.
7. Who are the men waiting for at Jethro's house while they talk with Ellen's nephew?
(b) The postman.
(d) The news carrier.
8. What does Jenny receive that she does not want to share with Jethro?
(a) A letter.
(b) Some candy.
(c) Some bread.
(d) A book.
9. Why does Jenny not want to share with Jethro when she receives something important?
(a) Jethro was mean to her.
(b) She wants to read it first.
(c) It is very personal.
(d) She has been craving bread.
10. Where does Shadrach live?
(a) In a boarding house in town.
(b) In the Creighton's barn.
(c) In a small wood shack in the forest.
(d) In the schoolhouse.
11. What does Shadrach tell Jethro to NOT call the president?
(d) Honest Abe.
12. Which of the following is NOT something that Jethro does for the FIRST time in Chapter 5?
(a) Handle a team.
(b) Drive to town.
(c) Barter goods.
(d) Deliver a message.
13. What word does Bill use to describe war when talking to Jethro?
14. Which side does Bill choose to fight for?
(a) Neither side.
(b) The South.
(c) The Union.
(d) The North.
15. What is Ellen suffering from at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) A sprained ankle.
(b) A headache.
(c) A stomach ache.
(d) Some chest pains.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Jethro's well while Matt is ill?
2. What happens to Jethro at night when the war begins?
3. What does Jenny give to Jethro as a special treat at the beginning of the book?
4. Who kept a mob from killing the man who killed Mary?
5. What does Shadrach do for Jethro when he reads Tom's letter?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)