|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Creighton family receives their first war letter from who?
2. Who is Jethro's favorite brother?
3. Which of the following is NOT something Jethro's father gives him before sending him to town?
(b) A rifle.
(c) A knife.
(d) Trading goods.
4. What month is it when Ellen first hears from Tom?
5. Whose farm was Jethro taking care of when his father was incapacitated?
(a) Dave Burdow's.
6. What do the men in the store tease Jethro about?
(a) Bill joining the Confederate Army.
(b) His young age.
(c) Mary's death.
(d) Tom dying at war.
7. Who pays frequent visits to the farm while Matt is ill?
(b) Russ Milton.
(c) Dave Burdow.
(d) Guy Wortman.
8. Why does Jenny not want to share with Jethro when she receives something important?
(a) She has been craving bread.
(b) She wants to read it first.
(c) Jethro was mean to her.
(d) It is very personal.
9. Who refused Jenny's suitor?
(a) Jenny's brothers.
(b) Jenny's father.
(c) Jenny's mother.
10. What gift is Jethro given while he is in town?
(a) A horse whip.
(b) An ink and paper set.
(c) A book.
(d) A piece of candy.
11. What does Jethro get to do now that he helps in the fields?
(a) Ride a horse to town on his own.
(b) Get his own room.
(c) Get some money.
(d) Sit at the adult table.
12. Why is Matt's family being so targeted in Chapter 6?
(a) Matt said some harsh things about Guy Wortman.
(b) Bill joined the confederacy.
(c) Jethro did not trade well when he was in town.
(d) Tom joined the Union.
13. Ellen's nephew favors which side of the war?
(a) The South.
(b) A little bit of both.
(c) The North.
(d) Neither side.
14. Where is Ellen's nephew from?
(a) South Carolina.
15. Where does Shadrach live?
(a) In the schoolhouse.
(b) In a boarding house in town.
(c) In the Creighton's barn.
(d) In a small wood shack in the forest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Jethro's father be doing while Jethro is in town?
2. Who is the president when this book takes place?
3. What is the first big battle of the Civil War?
4. What is done about the frequent visitors to the farm while Matt is ill?
5. What happens while Matt is heading to Dave Burdow's house?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)