|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men in Jethro's family do when they hear of the beginning of the war?
(a) Start fighting.
(b) Busy themselves with other tasks.
(c) Change the subject.
(d) Kneel to pray.
2. How much older than Jethro is Jenny?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 4 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 5 years.
3. What happens to Jethro's barn while Matt is ill?
(a) It is flooded.
(b) It is torn apart.
(c) It is contaminated.
(d) It burns down.
4. Who helps Jethro when he is being bullied at the store?
(a) Russ Morton.
(b) Ross Morton.
(c) Russ Milton.
(d) Ross Milton.
5. What do some people do on battlefields when the war begins?
(a) Take pictures.
(b) Call for peace.
6. What does Jethro get to do now that he helps in the fields?
(a) Sit at the adult table.
(b) Get his own room.
(c) Get some money.
(d) Ride a horse to town on his own.
7. Which side does Tom favor?
(a) The North.
(b) Neither side.
(c) The South.
(d) A little bit of both.
8. What is the name of Jethro's mother?
9. What does Shadrach tell Jethro to call the president?
(a) Mr. Lincoln.
(b) President Lincoln.
(c) Sir Lincoln.
(d) Mr. President.
10. Whose farm was Jethro taking care of when his father was incapacitated?
(b) Dave Burdow's.
11. Who proposed to Jenny?
12. How do most people hear updates about the war?
(b) Radio broadcasts.
(c) Word of mouth.
(d) Letters from soldiers.
13. What do the men in the store tease Jethro about?
(a) His young age.
(b) Mary's death.
(c) Bill joining the Confederate Army.
(d) Tom dying at war.
14. What is Ellen's nephew's name?
15. Who is the most riled up about the beginning of the war?
(d) Ellen's nephew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Bill use to describe war when talking to Jethro?
2. How far away is the Creighton's house from the nearest town?
3. Who loses the first big battle of the Civil War?
4. What is done about the frequent visitors to the farm while Matt is ill?
5. How does Bill think problems should be solved?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)