|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the president when this book takes place?
2. Why was Jenny's suitor refused?
(a) He has no money.
(b) She is too young.
(c) Jenny did not love him.
(d) He is too young.
3. Who helps Jethro when he is being bullied at the store?
(a) Ross Milton.
(b) Russ Morton.
(c) Russ Milton.
(d) Ross Morton.
4. Where does Ellen send Jethro after hearing from Tom?
(a) To the barn.
(b) To work in the fields.
(c) To Shadrach's cabin.
(d) To town.
5. Who killed Jethro's sister, Mary?
(a) Thomas Bidwell.
(b) Travis Burdow.
(c) Donald Bidwell.
(d) David Burdow.
6. Where does Jethro eat lunch while he is in town?
(a) At the store.
(b) By a stream.
(c) At a restaurant.
(d) In his wagon.
7. Who proposed to Jenny?
8. Who brings the family news of the beginning of the war?
(b) The postman.
9. Why does John's family decide to stay with Ellen?
(a) They are worried about Matt dying.
(b) Jethro needs the help.
(c) Their dog went missing.
(d) They are low on food.
10. Where is Jethro when he is told who Bill has chosen to fight for?
(a) In the barn.
(b) In the fields.
(c) In his bed.
(d) In school.
11. What is the first big battle of the Civil War?
(a) The Battle of Georgetown.
(b) The Battle of Winesborough.
(c) The Battle of Bull Run.
(d) The Battle of Gettysburg.
12. How much older than Jethro is Jenny?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 4 years.
(d) 2 years.
13. What gift is Jethro given while he is in town?
(a) A book.
(b) A horse whip.
(c) A piece of candy.
(d) An ink and paper set.
14. How does Bill think problems should be solved?
(a) With votes.
(b) With debates.
(c) With civil disputes.
(d) With peace.
15. Who is the most riled up about the beginning of the war?
(b) Ellen's nephew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ellen's nephew's name?
2. How does the community feel about Bill's views?
3. How does Jethro feel as he listens to his brothers argue about the war?
4. What happens to Jethro's barn while Matt is ill?
5. What dinner does Shadrach make for Jethro when he shares Tom's letter?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)