|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eb do after the first big battle of the Civil War?
(a) Joins the Confederate Army.
(b) Joins the Union Army.
(c) Goes to college.
(d) Takes a trip aboad to avoid the fighting.
2. Which side of the war does Jethro believe in?
(a) A little bit of both sides.
(b) The Union.
(c) The South.
(d) Neither side.
3. How does Jethro view the impending war?
(a) He sees it as an adventure.
(b) He finds it all very confusing.
(c) He thinks it will boost the corn sales.
(d) He is frightened of losing one of his brothers.
4. How was Jethro's well made unusable?
(a) Dave Burdow poured sand and stones in it.
(b) A flood moved large stones over the top of it.
(c) Guy Wortman poured coal oil in it.
(d) A sick animal died in it.
5. Who pays frequent visits to the farm while Matt is ill?
(a) Guy Wortman.
(b) Dave Burdow.
(c) Russ Milton.
6. Who kept a mob from killing the man who killed Mary?
(a) David Burdow.
(b) Matt Creighton.
(c) Shadrach Hale.
7. Which side does Bill favor?
(a) The North.
(b) The South.
(c) A little bit of both.
(d) Neither side.
8. What does Shadrach do for Jethro when he reads Tom's letter?
(a) Tells him that Tom will be fine.
(b) Prays with him.
(c) Draws a map.
(d) Promises to find Tom and bring him home.
9. What month is it when Ellen first hears from Tom?
10. Why was Jenny's suitor refused?
(a) She is too young.
(b) He has no money.
(c) He is too young.
(d) Jenny did not love him.
11. What dinner does Shadrach make for Jethro when he shares Tom's letter?
(a) Roast chicken.
(c) Roast beef.
(d) Hot cakes.
12. Where is Shadrach heading a week after reading Tom's letter?
(a) To fight for the Union.
(b) Taking his family out west.
(c) To fight for the Confederacy.
(d) On a trip abroad.
13. Why is Matt's family being so targeted in Chapter 6?
(a) Bill joined the confederacy.
(b) Jethro did not trade well when he was in town.
(c) Tom joined the Union.
(d) Matt said some harsh things about Guy Wortman.
14. Who helps Jethro understand why Jenny won't share what she has with Jethro?
15. What is the name of Jethro's mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jethro's oldest brother at the beginning of the book?
2. The Creighton family receives their first war letter from who?
3. Whose farm was Jethro taking care of when his father was incapacitated?
4. How old is Jethro when this book begins?
5. Where is Ellen's nephew from?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)