|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something that Jethro does for the FIRST time in Chapter 5?
(a) Handle a team.
(b) Drive to town.
(c) Deliver a message.
(d) Barter goods.
2. In Chapter 6, why does Matt want to thank Dave Burdow?
(a) For helping with the field work.
(b) For protecting Jethro.
(c) For buying Jethro lunch.
(d) For sending on some important news.
3. What is the name of the closest town to Jethro's house?
4. How many children has Jethro's mother had?
5. What do many of Tom's friends do when the weather gets warm?
(a) Threw their winter gear away.
(b) Got heat exhaustion.
(c) Died of thirst.
(d) Sold their blankets.
6. What month is it when Ellen first hears from Tom?
7. How does the nation respond to the start of the war?
(a) They celebrate.
(b) They are all very angry.
(c) They start to move.
(d) They cringe in fear.
8. What do the men in the store tease Jethro about?
(a) Mary's death.
(b) Tom dying at war.
(c) Bill joining the Confederate Army.
(d) His young age.
9. Whose farm was Jethro taking care of when his father was incapacitated?
(b) Dave Burdow's.
10. Who is Jethro's favorite brother?
11. What word does Bill use to describe war when talking to Jethro?
12. Which side does Tom favor?
(a) The South.
(b) The North.
(c) Neither side.
(d) A little bit of both.
13. Where is Shadrach heading a week after reading Tom's letter?
(a) To fight for the Union.
(b) To fight for the Confederacy.
(c) Taking his family out west.
(d) On a trip abroad.
14. Where is Jethro's oldest brother at the beginning of the book?
(a) In jail.
(b) In Heaven.
(c) In California.
(d) At war.
15. What is Shadrach's profession?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who demands that the boys stop their talk of war?
2. How do most people hear updates about the war?
3. How far away is the Creighton's house from the nearest town?
4. How old is Jenny at the beginning of the book?
5. Who brings the family news of the beginning of the war?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)