|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Jethro's father gives him before sending him to town?
(a) A knife.
(c) Trading goods.
(d) A rifle.
2. What does Shadrach tell Jethro to call the president?
(a) Mr. President.
(b) Sir Lincoln.
(c) President Lincoln.
(d) Mr. Lincoln.
3. Who is the most riled up about the beginning of the war?
(b) Ellen's nephew.
4. What happens while Matt is heading to Dave Burdow's house?
(a) He has a heart attack.
(b) He is shot.
(c) He meets an ambush.
(d) He sprains his ankle.
5. How was Jethro's well made unusable?
(a) Dave Burdow poured sand and stones in it.
(b) A sick animal died in it.
(c) Guy Wortman poured coal oil in it.
(d) A flood moved large stones over the top of it.
6. How did Jethro's barn get destroyed?
(a) Guy Wortman burned it down.
(b) Dave Burdow poisoned the hay feed for the animals.
(c) A wind storm destroyed it.
(d) High rains flooded the river near the farm.
7. Where does Shadrach live?
(a) In a small wood shack in the forest.
(b) In the schoolhouse.
(c) In a boarding house in town.
(d) In the Creighton's barn.
8. What gift is Jethro given while he is in town?
(a) A horse whip.
(b) An ink and paper set.
(c) A piece of candy.
(d) A book.
9. How do most people hear updates about the war?
(b) Radio broadcasts.
(c) Letters from soldiers.
(d) Word of mouth.
10. Who fights the most with Bill about his views when the war begins?
11. What is Shadrach's profession?
12. Where is John going a week after reading Tom's letter?
(a) On a trip abroad.
(b) To fight for the Union.
(c) To fight for the Confederacy.
(d) Taking his family out west.
13. How many children has Jethro's mother had?
14. How does Jethro feel as he listens to his brothers argue about the war?
(a) He is proud.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is excited.
(d) He is scared.
15. How many children does John have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose farm was Jethro taking care of when his father was incapacitated?
2. What does Eb do after the first big battle of the Civil War?
3. What will Jethro's father be doing while Jethro is in town?
4. Ellen's nephew favors which side of the war?
5. Who is the president when this book takes place?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)