|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men in Jethro's family try to avoid when they hear of the beginning of the war?
(b) Ellen's nephew.
(d) Their mother.
2. What month is it when Ellen first hears from Tom?
3. Why does Jenny not want to share with Jethro when she receives something important?
(a) She has been craving bread.
(b) It is very personal.
(c) Jethro was mean to her.
(d) She wants to read it first.
4. What happens while Matt is heading to Dave Burdow's house?
(a) He meets an ambush.
(b) He sprains his ankle.
(c) He has a heart attack.
(d) He is shot.
5. What does Eb do after the first big battle of the Civil War?
(a) Goes to college.
(b) Joins the Confederate Army.
(c) Joins the Union Army.
(d) Takes a trip aboad to avoid the fighting.
6. What gift is Jethro given while he is in town?
(a) A piece of candy.
(b) A book.
(c) An ink and paper set.
(d) A horse whip.
7. Who protects Jethro from an ambush as he is heading home from town?
(a) Travis Bidwell.
(b) Ross Morton.
(c) Russ Milton.
(d) David Burdow.
8. What is done about the frequent visitors to the farm while Matt is ill?
(a) Jethro stands on guard every night.
(b) Neighbors create a watch.
(c) Food is put out for them.
(d) The sheriff is called.
9. Who helps Jethro in the fields when his father is hurt?
(a) Dave Burdow.
(b) Ross Morton.
10. What is Tom's first battle?
(a) Fort Donler.
(b) Fort Dunley.
(c) Fort Donelson.
(d) Fort Dumbleton.
11. Who is the most riled up about the beginning of the war?
(d) Ellen's nephew.
12. What is the occupation of the man who helps Jethro when he is being bullied at the store?
(a) Newspaper editor.
(d) Store owner.
13. Which of the following is NOT something that Jethro does for the FIRST time in Chapter 5?
(a) Deliver a message.
(b) Handle a team.
(c) Drive to town.
(d) Barter goods.
14. Who pays frequent visits to the farm while Matt is ill?
(b) Dave Burdow.
(c) Guy Wortman.
(d) Russ Milton.
15. How does the community feel about Bill's views?
(a) They respect him.
(b) They are ashamed of him.
(c) They are suspicious of him.
(d) They resent them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is given charge of the farm when Matt is incapacitated?
2. The Creighton family receives their first war letter from who?
3. Which war begins during the second chapter of this book?
4. What does Jenny give to Jethro as a special treat at the beginning of the book?
5. Who brings the family news of the beginning of the war?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)