|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ellen's nephew's name?
2. Who is the president when this book takes place?
3. How does Bill think problems should be solved?
(a) With civil disputes.
(b) With votes.
(c) With peace.
(d) With debates.
4. How does the nation respond to the start of the war?
(a) They cringe in fear.
(b) They celebrate.
(c) They start to move.
(d) They are all very angry.
5. How did the mob want to kill the man who killed Mary?
6. Where is Jethro's oldest brother at the beginning of the book?
(a) At war.
(b) In Heaven.
(c) In jail.
(d) In California.
7. Where does Jethro eat lunch while he is in town?
(a) By a stream.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) In his wagon.
(d) At the store.
8. What does Jenny give to Jethro as a special treat at the beginning of the book?
(b) The first greens from the garden.
(c) A new book.
(d) A cup of coffee.
9. Where does Ellen send Jethro after hearing from Tom?
(a) To town.
(b) To Shadrach's cabin.
(c) To work in the fields.
(d) To the barn.
10. Who is given charge of the farm when Matt is incapacitated?
(a) Dave Burdow.
11. Which of the following is NOT something Jethro's father gives him before sending him to town?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A knife.
(c) Trading goods.
12. What is done about the frequent visitors to the farm while Matt is ill?
(a) Food is put out for them.
(b) Jethro stands on guard every night.
(c) Neighbors create a watch.
(d) The sheriff is called.
13. Where is Ellen's nephew from?
(c) South Carolina.
14. Why does John's family decide to stay with Ellen?
(a) Jethro needs the help.
(b) Their dog went missing.
(c) They are low on food.
(d) They are worried about Matt dying.
15. What does Jethro get to do now that he helps in the fields?
(a) Get his own room.
(b) Ride a horse to town on his own.
(c) Sit at the adult table.
(d) Get some money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is John going a week after reading Tom's letter?
2. Which war begins during the second chapter of this book?
3. What caused Ellen's ailment in Chapter 5?
4. How many of Jethro's siblings have died at the beginning of the book?
5. What is Tom's first battle?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)