|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first greets Macon, Muriel, and Alexander when they arrive for Christmas?
2. After Sarah leaves for her sculpture class, why is Macon distracted when he sits down to write?
3. Where does Muriel put Macon's hand when he spends the night at her house?
4. What is the horrible thought Macon has at Rose and Julian's wedding?
5. What does Muriel give Macon after they come home from Christmas dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Leary Family and the Dugan Family. Discuss the following in terms of their function or dysfunction, their relationship to society and one another, and how Macon and Muriel fit in or don't it with them:
1. The roles of mothers.
2. The roles of fathers.
3. The roles of siblings.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Macon's role as a father in the novel.
1. How does he identify as a father-figure to Alexander?
2. How does he compare to the other fathers in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Grief plays a large role in the dissolution and reconciliation of Macon and Sarah's marriage. Discuss how Macon and Sarah experience grief in the novel, and how each recovers from their loss.
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)