|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Rose irritated with Macon after he begins seeing Muriel?
2. When Macon leaves Baltimore, the city is covered in ice. What is the weather like when Macon returns home ?
3. At Rose and Julian's dinner party, what is significant about the pate recipe?
4. Who does Macon run into while out with Alexander?
5. What does Macon have at lunch with Sarah that he has never had before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grief plays a large role in the dissolution and reconciliation of Macon and Sarah's marriage. Discuss how Macon and Sarah experience grief in the novel, and how each recovers from their loss.
Essay Topic 2
Holidays function as significant events for Macon and his family. Discuss the family dynamics at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and what they reveal about the characters' relationships with one another.
Essay Topic 3
Loss is a major theme in "The Accidental Tourist." The loss and suffering of children are the impetus for other losses, namely marriage.
1. Discuss the possible reasons why Macon and Sarah and Muriel and Norman are unable to take solace in their suffering over their children.
2. Why do you think Tyler utilizes children as the starting point to explore the consequences of grief?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)