|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first greets Macon, Muriel, and Alexander when they arrive for Christmas?
2. What announcement does Muriel make to Macon as they are browsing thrift stores?
3. What gift does Macon bring for Muriel's parents?
4. What does Macon remind Muriel about on the phone when he calls her while Sarah is at her sculpture class?
5. What is Macon's reaction to Muriel's announcement while they are browsing thrift stores?
Essay Topic 1
Grief plays a large role in the dissolution and reconciliation of Macon and Sarah's marriage. Discuss how Macon and Sarah experience grief in the novel, and how each recovers from their loss.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Muriel and Julian try to become members of the Leary family, and are thwarted by Rose and Macon in various ways. Ultimately, they are successful in winning over their partners. Discuss the similarities between these two characters, and their possible motives for wanting to be a part of the Leary family.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tone of "The Accidental Tourist."
1. How does it shift throughout the novel, from a serious and somber tone to a comic one?
2. What characters exemplify a particular tone?
3. What is the purpose of tone for readers?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)