|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the horrible thought Macon has at Rose and Julian's wedding?
2. Who does Rose summon to go to Paris?
3. Who does Macon run into while out with Alexander?
4. How does Muriel respond to Macon's reminder?
5. How does Macon feel about his burgeoning relationship with Muriel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Muriel and Julian try to become members of the Leary family, and are thwarted by Rose and Macon in various ways. Ultimately, they are successful in winning over their partners. Discuss the similarities between these two characters, and their possible motives for wanting to be a part of the Leary family.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Macon's role as a father in the novel.
1. How does he identify as a father-figure to Alexander?
2. How does he compare to the other fathers in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The issue of class is significant in the novel. Macon's family is middle-class, while Muriel has a working-class background. When Macon begins to see Muriel, his family do not approve of Muriel because they think she is just out for a meal ticket. How are Macon's reservations about Muriel also about class division?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)