Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first greets Macon, Muriel, and Alexander when they arrive for Christmas?
2. What announcement does Muriel make to Macon as they are browsing thrift stores?
3. What gift does Macon bring for Muriel's parents?
4. What does Macon remind Muriel about on the phone when he calls her while Sarah is at her sculpture class?
5. What is Macon's reaction to Muriel's announcement while they are browsing thrift stores?
Essay Topic 1
Loss is a major theme in "The Accidental Tourist." The loss and suffering of children are the impetus for other losses, namely marriage.
1. Discuss the possible reasons why Macon and Sarah and Muriel and Norman are unable to take solace in their suffering over their children.
2. Why do you think Tyler utilizes children as the starting point to explore the consequences of grief?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss conflict in "The Accidental Tourist," discussing the following scenarios:
1. Macon's conflict with society.
2. Macon's conflict with Sarah.
3. Macon's conflict with Muriel.
4. Macon's conflict with himself.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tone of "The Accidental Tourist."
1. How does it shift throughout the novel, from a serious and somber tone to a comic one?
2. What characters exemplify a particular tone?
3. What is the purpose of tone for readers?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)