|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Sarah leaves for her sculpture class, why is Macon distracted when he sits down to write?
2. Why does Macon yell at the cab driver in Paris?
3. Why does Sarah want to move back into the house?
4. When Macon leaves Baltimore, the city is covered in ice. What is the weather like when Macon returns home ?
5. Who does Rose summon to go to Paris?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Macon's trips to various cities in the novel. Does his attitude toward travel change over the course of the novel? What significant events occur while he's away from home? Which trips are the most significant for his personal journey?
Essay Topic 2
The issue of class is significant in the novel. Macon's family is middle-class, while Muriel has a working-class background. When Macon begins to see Muriel, his family do not approve of Muriel because they think she is just out for a meal ticket. How are Macon's reservations about Muriel also about class division?
Essay Topic 3
Macon's inability to communicate presents major difficulties for him. Discuss the psychological reasons behind his withdrawal from those around him, and the ramifications of his actions, beginning with his marriage to Sarah to the present day.
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)