|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Sarah leaves for her sculpture class, why is Macon distracted when he sits down to write?
2. At Rose and Julian's dinner party, what is significant about the pate recipe?
3. Where does Muriel put Macon's hand when he spends the night at her house?
4. What major life decision does Macon make in Paris?
5. On the plane to Paris, what unexpected sight greets Macon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Muriel is a foil to Macon in "The Accidental Tourist."
1. How does her presence create narrative tension and propel the plot forward?
2. How is Muriel the impetus for change in Macon's attitude?
Essay Topic 2
Grief plays a large role in the dissolution and reconciliation of Macon and Sarah's marriage. Discuss how Macon and Sarah experience grief in the novel, and how each recovers from their loss.
Essay Topic 3
Tyler utilizes the third-person point of view in the novel to show Macon's thoughts, motives, and actions. Why do you think she uses "he" and "she" instead of "I." How would the novel be different if Macon was narrating it? Would we learn more or less from a first-person perspective?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)