|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian show Macon that he's going to give to Rose?
2. What is Macon's reaction to Muriel's announcement while they are browsing thrift stores?
3. Why does Julian ask Macon for advice regarding his marriage to Rose?
4. What does Macon have at lunch with Sarah that he has never had before?
5. According to Macon, what is the main reason he can't come to dinner at Muriel's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The issue of class is significant in the novel. Macon's family is middle-class, while Muriel has a working-class background. When Macon begins to see Muriel, his family do not approve of Muriel because they think she is just out for a meal ticket. How are Macon's reservations about Muriel also about class division?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Muriel and Julian try to become members of the Leary family, and are thwarted by Rose and Macon in various ways. Ultimately, they are successful in winning over their partners. Discuss the similarities between these two characters, and their possible motives for wanting to be a part of the Leary family.
Essay Topic 3
Grief plays a large role in the dissolution and reconciliation of Macon and Sarah's marriage. Discuss how Macon and Sarah experience grief in the novel, and how each recovers from their loss.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)