|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the storm, what does Macon discover when he goes to his house?
2. Who does Muriel threaten with a shotgun?
3. In Vancouver, what does Sarah ask Macon on the phone?
4. What is significant about the subdivision Muriel's parents live in?
5. What gives Sarah an "emotional jolt" when she sees it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Macon's role as a father in the novel.
1. How does he identify as a father-figure to Alexander?
2. How does he compare to the other fathers in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of setting in the novel, and how its significance regarding the characters.
1. What facts about Baltimore and its history relate directly or indirectly to the novel?
2. Why is it significant that Macon and Muriel live in different parts of the city?
3. How is it significant that major events occur when Macon is away from home?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tone of "The Accidental Tourist."
1. How does it shift throughout the novel, from a serious and somber tone to a comic one?
2. What characters exemplify a particular tone?
3. What is the purpose of tone for readers?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)