|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Macon stop on his walk with Edward?
2. When Macon returns from Canada, where does he go?
3. What gives Sarah an "emotional jolt" when she sees it?
4. On the plane to Paris, what unexpected sight greets Macon?
5. Why does Macon breathe a sigh of relief at Rose and Julian's wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The definition of family in "The Accidental Tourist" is a complicated one, one that is constantly shifting and evolving.
1. Discuss what makes a family in the novel. Is it blood relations, obligations, emotional bonds, or all three?
2. How do the families function? Which ones flounder? Which ones thrive?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Leary Family and the Dugan Family. Discuss the following in terms of their function or dysfunction, their relationship to society and one another, and how Macon and Muriel fit in or don't it with them:
1. The roles of mothers.
2. The roles of fathers.
3. The roles of siblings.
Essay Topic 3
Grief plays a large role in the dissolution and reconciliation of Macon and Sarah's marriage. Discuss how Macon and Sarah experience grief in the novel, and how each recovers from their loss.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)