|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Rose and Julian's wedding, who takes Muriel aside to chat?
2. After recovering from his injury, who does Macon move in with?
3. What is significant about the subdivision Muriel's parents live in?
4. Where does Rose and Julian's wedding ceremony take place?
5. What does Julian invite Macon and Muriel to?
Essay Topic 1
Macon's inability to communicate presents major difficulties for him. Discuss the psychological reasons behind his withdrawal from those around him, and the ramifications of his actions, beginning with his marriage to Sarah to the present day.
Essay Topic 2
The issue of class is significant in the novel. Macon's family is middle-class, while Muriel has a working-class background. When Macon begins to see Muriel, his family do not approve of Muriel because they think she is just out for a meal ticket. How are Macon's reservations about Muriel also about class division?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Leary Family and the Dugan Family. Discuss the following in terms of their function or dysfunction, their relationship to society and one another, and how Macon and Muriel fit in or don't it with them:
1. The roles of mothers.
2. The roles of fathers.
3. The roles of siblings.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)