|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Macon bring for Muriel's parents?
2. What happens when Macon tries to fix the phone cord in his room?
3. On the plane to Paris, what unexpected sight greets Macon?
4. What does Macon remind Muriel about on the phone when he calls her while Sarah is at her sculpture class?
5. What is the horrible thought Macon has at Rose and Julian's wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The issue of class is significant in the novel. Macon's family is middle-class, while Muriel has a working-class background. When Macon begins to see Muriel, his family do not approve of Muriel because they think she is just out for a meal ticket. How are Macon's reservations about Muriel also about class division?
Essay Topic 2
Grief plays a large role in the dissolution and reconciliation of Macon and Sarah's marriage. Discuss how Macon and Sarah experience grief in the novel, and how each recovers from their loss.
Essay Topic 3
What is an accidental tourist?
1. Define each term and their connotations.
2. Besides Macon, who else is an accidental tourist?
3. What is the overall message or meaning of this concept?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)