|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Charles knock on Muriel's door?
2. At Rose and Julian's dinner party, what is significant about the pate recipe?
3. What does Mrs. Dugan tell Macon about Muriel's past?
4. What is the horrible thought Macon has at Rose and Julian's wedding?
5. What city does Macon visit when Baltimore is covered in ice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Muriel is a foil to Macon in "The Accidental Tourist."
1. How does her presence create narrative tension and propel the plot forward?
2. How is Muriel the impetus for change in Macon's attitude?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss conflict in "The Accidental Tourist," discussing the following scenarios:
1. Macon's conflict with society.
2. Macon's conflict with Sarah.
3. Macon's conflict with Muriel.
4. Macon's conflict with himself.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Macon and Rose share many similarities. Like Macon, Rose doesn't like change and chooses a partner who is very different from herself. Discuss Rose as a character and her decision to move back home to take care of her brothers.
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)