|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Macon run into while out with Alexander?
2. Who first greets Macon, Muriel, and Alexander when they arrive for Christmas?
3. What does the plumber tell Sarah about the damage to the house?
4. After Sarah leaves for her sculpture class, why is Macon distracted when he sits down to write?
5. Who does Muriel threaten with a shotgun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, Macon and Rose share many similarities. Like Macon, Rose doesn't like change and chooses a partner who is very different from herself. Discuss Rose as a character and her decision to move back home to take care of her brothers.
Essay Topic 2
The issue of class is significant in the novel. Macon's family is middle-class, while Muriel has a working-class background. When Macon begins to see Muriel, his family do not approve of Muriel because they think she is just out for a meal ticket. How are Macon's reservations about Muriel also about class division?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Macon's role as a father in the novel.
1. How does he identify as a father-figure to Alexander?
2. How does he compare to the other fathers in the novel?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)