|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the plumber tell Sarah about the damage to the house?
2. According to Macon, what is the main reason he can't come to dinner at Muriel's?
3. What does Macon feel standing next to Sarah at Rose and Julian's wedding?
4. What announcement does Muriel make to Macon as they are browsing thrift stores?
5. Where does Muriel put Macon's hand when he spends the night at her house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Tyler want readers to understand about being saved in life and who does the saving? Who are the heroes and heroines in this novel? What is the overall message or theme of "The Accidental Tourist"?
Essay Topic 2
The definition of family in "The Accidental Tourist" is a complicated one, one that is constantly shifting and evolving.
1. Discuss what makes a family in the novel. Is it blood relations, obligations, emotional bonds, or all three?
2. How do the families function? Which ones flounder? Which ones thrive?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tone of "The Accidental Tourist."
1. How does it shift throughout the novel, from a serious and somber tone to a comic one?
2. What characters exemplify a particular tone?
3. What is the purpose of tone for readers?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)