|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sarah want to move back into the house?
2. What does Macon teach Alexander to do?
3. What happens when Macon tries to fix the phone cord in his room?
4. Why does Muriel leave messages for Macon all over the house?
5. When Macon returns from Canada, where does he go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, Macon and Rose share many similarities. Like Macon, Rose doesn't like change and chooses a partner who is very different from herself. Discuss Rose as a character and her decision to move back home to take care of her brothers.
Essay Topic 2
What is an accidental tourist?
1. Define each term and their connotations.
2. Besides Macon, who else is an accidental tourist?
3. What is the overall message or meaning of this concept?
Essay Topic 3
The issue of class is significant in the novel. Macon's family is middle-class, while Muriel has a working-class background. When Macon begins to see Muriel, his family do not approve of Muriel because they think she is just out for a meal ticket. How are Macon's reservations about Muriel also about class division?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)