|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Charles knock on Muriel's door?
2. Why does Macon breathe a sigh of relief at Rose and Julian's wedding?
3. How does Muriel respond to Macon's reminder?
4. What does Macon remind Muriel about on the phone when he calls her while Sarah is at her sculpture class?
5. What is Muriel's response to Macon's note?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the treatment of animals in the novel.
1. How does Edward figure as a major character?
2. What are some similarities between Macon and his dog?
3. Why is it significant that Edward was Ethan's dog?
4. What major changes does Macon go through regarding his relationship with him?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Leary Family and the Dugan Family. Discuss the following in terms of their function or dysfunction, their relationship to society and one another, and how Macon and Muriel fit in or don't it with them:
1. The roles of mothers.
2. The roles of fathers.
3. The roles of siblings.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Macon and Rose share many similarities. Like Macon, Rose doesn't like change and chooses a partner who is very different from herself. Discuss Rose as a character and her decision to move back home to take care of her brothers.
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)