|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Macon bring for Muriel's parents?
2. At Rose and Julian's dinner party, what is significant about the pate recipe?
3. Why does Macon breathe a sigh of relief at Rose and Julian's wedding?
4. What does Macon have at lunch with Sarah that he has never had before?
5. What is Macon's response to his discovery when he goes back to his house after the storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The definition of family in "The Accidental Tourist" is a complicated one, one that is constantly shifting and evolving.
1. Discuss what makes a family in the novel. Is it blood relations, obligations, emotional bonds, or all three?
2. How do the families function? Which ones flounder? Which ones thrive?
Essay Topic 2
Tyler utilizes the third-person point of view in the novel to show Macon's thoughts, motives, and actions. Why do you think she uses "he" and "she" instead of "I." How would the novel be different if Macon was narrating it? Would we learn more or less from a first-person perspective?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Muriel is a foil to Macon in "The Accidental Tourist."
1. How does her presence create narrative tension and propel the plot forward?
2. How is Muriel the impetus for change in Macon's attitude?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)