|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Macon, what is the main reason he can't come to dinner at Muriel's?
2. Why does Muriel give Macon a big calendar with a date marked in red?
3. What is Muriel's response to Macon's note?
4. Why does Sarah want to move back into the house?
5. How does Macon feel about his burgeoning relationship with Muriel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Macon's inability to communicate presents major difficulties for him. Discuss the psychological reasons behind his withdrawal from those around him, and the ramifications of his actions, beginning with his marriage to Sarah to the present day.
Essay Topic 2
The definition of family in "The Accidental Tourist" is a complicated one, one that is constantly shifting and evolving.
1. Discuss what makes a family in the novel. Is it blood relations, obligations, emotional bonds, or all three?
2. How do the families function? Which ones flounder? Which ones thrive?
Essay Topic 3
What is an accidental tourist?
1. Define each term and their connotations.
2. Besides Macon, who else is an accidental tourist?
3. What is the overall message or meaning of this concept?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)