|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Ethan when he is killed?
2. Why does Macon stay at his childhood home after his injury?
3. How does Sarah greet Macon at the restaurant?
4. What does Sarah wonder about the man who shot their son?
5. Who has Rose been seeing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of writer is Macon and who does he write for?
2. In Philadelphia, what does Porter's daughter, Susan, tell Macon about Ethan?
3. Describe Macon's siblings and their current lifestyle.
4. Why does Macon call Muriel in Chapter 19 and what is her response?
5. Describe Macon's dream about his grandfather.
6. In Chapter 6, why is Macon's typing interrupted?
7. What have Macon and Sarah gone through over the past year?
8. What does Muriel tell Macon about herself in Chapter 7?
9. At the Old Bay restaurant, what does Sarah tell Macon she wants and what does she think of him?
10. What realization does Macon come to in Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the treatment of animals in the novel.
1. How does Edward figure as a major character?
2. What are some similarities between Macon and his dog?
3. Why is it significant that Edward was Ethan's dog?
4. What major changes does Macon go through regarding his relationship with him?
Essay Topic 2
Grief plays a large role in the dissolution and reconciliation of Macon and Sarah's marriage. Discuss how Macon and Sarah experience grief in the novel, and how each recovers from their loss.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Macon's trips to various cities in the novel. Does his attitude toward travel change over the course of the novel? What significant events occur while he's away from home? Which trips are the most significant for his personal journey?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)