|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarah tell Macon she wants regarding their separation?
2. What do the people at the kennel where Edward usually boards tell Macon?
3. What do Macon and Sarah do when Macon pulls over?
4. What does Julian realize about Macon when he sees him at his childhood home?
5. According to Garner, who else has been looking for Macon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Muriel's response to her mother's revelations about her and what does she give Macon?
2. How does Macon feel about his marriage to Sarah in Chapter 8?
3. In Chapter 15, briefly describe how Macon is becoming a father-figure to Alexander.
4. On Christmas, what does Muriel's mother, Mrs. Dugan, tell Macon about her daughter?
5. According to Muriel, how did the birth of her son, Alexander, impact her marriage?
6. Why does Rose invite Julian to Thanksgiving dinner?
7. In Chapter 19, how have Sarah and Macon picked up their domestic life where they left off?
8. What happened to Macon and Sarah's son, Ethan?
9. In Chapter 4, how does Macon occupy his time?
10. Why is Macon disappointed when he disembarks from his flight from London and returns home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Macon's role as a father in the novel.
1. How does he identify as a father-figure to Alexander?
2. How does he compare to the other fathers in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Leary Family and the Dugan Family. Discuss the following in terms of their function or dysfunction, their relationship to society and one another, and how Macon and Muriel fit in or don't it with them:
1. The roles of mothers.
2. The roles of fathers.
3. The roles of siblings.
Essay Topic 3
Macon's inability to communicate presents major difficulties for him. Discuss the psychological reasons behind his withdrawal from those around him, and the ramifications of his actions, beginning with his marriage to Sarah to the present day.
This section contains 1,504 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)