|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sarah wearing on the drive back from their vacation?
2. According to Macon, what is unusual about Rose's life?
3. What does Edward do when Julian tries to leave?
4. According to Sarah, Macon is _______________.
5. How do the Leary children react to the news that they are not going to be world travelers?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, why does Sarah call Macon and what does she reveal to him?
2. In Chapter 4, how does Macon occupy his time?
3. What happened to Macon and Sarah's son, Ethan?
4. Recount Macon's trip to England, paying close attention to his specific habits and goals.
5. Describe some of Macon's domestic habits after Sarah has moved out of the house.
6. What have Macon and Sarah gone through over the past year?
7. Why does Sarah come to Paris and who does she see?
8. According to Muriel, how did the birth of her son, Alexander, impact her marriage?
9. What does Sarah tell Macon in the car?
10. When Macon's neighbor, Garner Bolt, visits him, what does he reveal people's perception of Macon?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Macon's role as a father in the novel.
1. How does he identify as a father-figure to Alexander?
2. How does he compare to the other fathers in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, Macon and Rose share many similarities. Like Macon, Rose doesn't like change and chooses a partner who is very different from herself. Discuss Rose as a character and her decision to move back home to take care of her brothers.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Macon's trips to various cities in the novel. Does his attitude toward travel change over the course of the novel? What significant events occur while he's away from home? Which trips are the most significant for his personal journey?
This section contains 1,545 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)