|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing the Leary's are NOT good at?
2. How does Macon spend his time after returning from his trip?
3. What are some of Grandfather Leary's inventions?
4. How do Macon and Sarah meet?
5. Why does Garner Bolt visit Macon?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 17, why is the story Muriel tells Macon about a man she "cured" who left her?
2. How does Edward respond to Muriel and her training lessons?
3. According to Macon, what was his mother like while he was growing up and how did she approach parenting?
4. Why do the Learys disapprove of Macon's relationship with Muriel?
5. Why does Macon return to his childhood home in Chapter 5?
6. How does Macon respond to Muriel's story about her son and why?
7. According to Macon, when did his grandfather's mind begin to wander?
8. How does Julian get injured while visiting Macon?
9. In the car, how are Macon and Sarah's physical appearance symbolic of the state of their marriage?
10. When Macon returns to Baltimore, where does he go and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Macon's inability to communicate presents major difficulties for him. Discuss the psychological reasons behind his withdrawal from those around him, and the ramifications of his actions, beginning with his marriage to Sarah to the present day.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the tone of "The Accidental Tourist."
1. How does it shift throughout the novel, from a serious and somber tone to a comic one?
2. What characters exemplify a particular tone?
3. What is the purpose of tone for readers?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss conflict in "The Accidental Tourist," discussing the following scenarios:
1. Macon's conflict with society.
2. Macon's conflict with Sarah.
3. Macon's conflict with Muriel.
4. Macon's conflict with himself.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)