Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarah wonder about the man who shot their son?
2. According to Muriel, why is her sister the favorite?
3. Where does Macon take Edward to after leaving the kennel?
4. Who does Macon try to call from the restaurant in New York?
5. What does Edward do each time Muriel leaves after training?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julian offer to Macon when he comes over in Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 6, why is Macon's typing interrupted?
3. Describe some of Macon's domestic habits after Sarah has moved out of the house.
4. What are Macon's and Sarah's reactions to the stormy weather and why are they significant?
5. Why do the Learys disapprove of Macon's relationship with Muriel?
6. Why is Macon disappointed when he disembarks from his flight from London and returns home?
7. In Chapter 12, Macon begins to spend a lot of time with Muriel. What is Rose's response to his absence from home and why is it significant?
8. What is Muriel's response to her mother's revelations about her and what does she give Macon?
9. In Chapter 4, how does Macon occupy his time?
10. In Philadelphia, what does Porter's daughter, Susan, tell Macon about Ethan?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Leary Family and the Dugan Family. Discuss the following in terms of their function or dysfunction, their relationship to society and one another, and how Macon and Muriel fit in or don't it with them:
1. The roles of mothers.
2. The roles of fathers.
3. The roles of siblings.
Essay Topic 2
Holidays function as significant events for Macon and his family. Discuss the family dynamics at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and what they reveal about the characters' relationships with one another.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Macon and Rose share many similarities. Like Macon, Rose doesn't like change and chooses a partner who is very different from herself. Discuss Rose as a character and her decision to move back home to take care of her brothers.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)