|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his first trip in the novel, what does Macon do once he has arrived at his destination?
2. What does Macon do when he wakes up from his dream about Grandfather Leary?
3. Who is brave enough to try Rose's turkey at Thanksgiving?
4. How does Macon feel about writing the next series?
5. What is Macon wearing on the drive back from their vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Macon brings his note of apology to Muriel and breaks down at her door, what is her response and why is it significant?
2. How does Macon feel about his marriage to Sarah in Chapter 8?
3. What is the series of books Macon writes called and why is it significant?
4. In Chapter 6, why is Macon's typing interrupted?
5. In Chapter 11, why doesn't Macon want to have dinner with her and her son?
6. How does Julian get injured while visiting Macon?
7. In Chapter 4, how does Macon occupy his time?
8. Why does Macon call Muriel in Chapter 19 and what is her response?
9. Describe Edward's behavior.
10. Why is Muriel upset about Macon finding out she has a son and what does her misunderstanding lead to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Macon's inability to communicate presents major difficulties for him. Discuss the psychological reasons behind his withdrawal from those around him, and the ramifications of his actions, beginning with his marriage to Sarah to the present day.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the treatment of animals in the novel.
1. How does Edward figure as a major character?
2. What are some similarities between Macon and his dog?
3. Why is it significant that Edward was Ethan's dog?
4. What major changes does Macon go through regarding his relationship with him?
Essay Topic 3
The issue of class is significant in the novel. Macon's family is middle-class, while Muriel has a working-class background. When Macon begins to see Muriel, his family do not approve of Muriel because they think she is just out for a meal ticket. How are Macon's reservations about Muriel also about class division?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)