Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarah wonder about the man who shot their son?
2. According to Muriel, why is her sister the favorite?
3. Where does Macon take Edward to after leaving the kennel?
4. Who does Macon try to call from the restaurant in New York?
5. What does Edward do each time Muriel leaves after training?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julian offer to Macon when he comes over in Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 6, why is Macon's typing interrupted?
3. Describe some of Macon's domestic habits after Sarah has moved out of the house.
4. What are Macon's and Sarah's reactions to the stormy weather and why are they significant?
5. Why do the Learys disapprove of Macon's relationship with Muriel?
6. Why is Macon disappointed when he disembarks from his flight from London and returns home?
7. In Chapter 12, Macon begins to spend a lot of time with Muriel. What is Rose's response to his absence from home and why is it significant?
8. What is Muriel's response to her mother's revelations about her and what does she give Macon?
9. In Chapter 4, how does Macon occupy his time?
10. In Philadelphia, what does Porter's daughter, Susan, tell Macon about Ethan?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Macon's role as a father in the novel.
1. How does he identify as a father-figure to Alexander?
2. How does he compare to the other fathers in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Grief plays a large role in the dissolution and reconciliation of Macon and Sarah's marriage. Discuss how Macon and Sarah experience grief in the novel, and how each recovers from their loss.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tone of "The Accidental Tourist."
1. How does it shift throughout the novel, from a serious and somber tone to a comic one?
2. What characters exemplify a particular tone?
3. What is the purpose of tone for readers?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)