|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Macon pull over?
2. Where are Macon and Sarah returning from their vacation?
3. What do Macon and Susan discuss at dinner?
4. Who does Macon write for?
5. What does Edward do when Julian tries to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the series of books Macon writes called and why is it significant?
2. Recount Macon's trip to England, paying close attention to his specific habits and goals.
3. In Philadelphia, what does Porter's daughter, Susan, tell Macon about Ethan?
4. How does Edward respond to Muriel and her training lessons?
5. What does Macon feel about Sarah at Rose and Julian's wedding?
6. Why does Macon call Muriel in Chapter 19 and what is her response?
7. At Rose's and Julian's wedding, why is Macon worried that he's attracted to women like his mother?
8. In Chapter 4, how does Macon occupy his time?
9. In Chapter 12, Macon begins to spend a lot of time with Muriel. What is Rose's response to his absence from home and why is it significant?
10. Why does Sarah call Macon while he's traveling in Canada?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Macon's trips to various cities in the novel. Does his attitude toward travel change over the course of the novel? What significant events occur while he's away from home? Which trips are the most significant for his personal journey?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Muriel and Julian try to become members of the Leary family, and are thwarted by Rose and Macon in various ways. Ultimately, they are successful in winning over their partners. Discuss the similarities between these two characters, and their possible motives for wanting to be a part of the Leary family.
Essay Topic 3
What does Tyler want readers to understand about being saved in life and who does the saving? Who are the heroes and heroines in this novel? What is the overall message or theme of "The Accidental Tourist"?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)