|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Julian tracked Macon down at his childhood home?
2. What is Muriel's dog training specialty?
3. Who is brave enough to try Rose's turkey at Thanksgiving?
4. What is Macon's system of washing dishes?
5. What prompts Macon to pull over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Muriel's response to her mother's revelations about her and what does she give Macon?
2. In Chapter 4, how does Macon occupy his time?
3. How does Macon hurt himself in the basement?
4. Recount Macon's trip to England, paying close attention to his specific habits and goals.
5. How does Macon feel about Muriel?
6. Why does Sarah call Macon while he's traveling in Canada?
7. Why does Muriel give Macon a calendar?
8. According to Macon, when did his grandfather's mind begin to wander?
9. What does Sarah tell Macon in the car?
10. In Chapter 8, what are Macon and his siblings perceptions of Edward's training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loss is a major theme in "The Accidental Tourist." The loss and suffering of children are the impetus for other losses, namely marriage.
1. Discuss the possible reasons why Macon and Sarah and Muriel and Norman are unable to take solace in their suffering over their children.
2. Why do you think Tyler utilizes children as the starting point to explore the consequences of grief?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of setting in the novel, and how its significance regarding the characters.
1. What facts about Baltimore and its history relate directly or indirectly to the novel?
2. Why is it significant that Macon and Muriel live in different parts of the city?
3. How is it significant that major events occur when Macon is away from home?
Essay Topic 3
What is an accidental tourist?
1. Define each term and their connotations.
2. Besides Macon, who else is an accidental tourist?
3. What is the overall message or meaning of this concept?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)