|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Macon do with his dirty clothes?
2. On his first trip in the novel, what does Macon do once he has arrived at his destination?
3. Why is Charles locked in the pantry when Macon can't reach Sarah in New York?
4. How does Sarah sign her letters to Macon?
5. According to Garner, what is the perception people have of Macon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Edward's behavior.
2. What are Macon's and Sarah's reactions to the stormy weather and why are they significant?
3. In Chapter 17, why is the story Muriel tells Macon about a man she "cured" who left her?
4. How does Macon feel about Muriel?
5. According to Muriel, how did the birth of her son, Alexander, impact her marriage?
6. What does Sarah tell Macon in the car?
7. Describe some of Macon's domestic habits after Sarah has moved out of the house.
8. According to Macon, when did his grandfather's mind begin to wander?
9. What happened to Macon and Sarah's son, Ethan?
10. Why does Macon keep Edward, and what does he agree to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tone of "The Accidental Tourist."
1. How does it shift throughout the novel, from a serious and somber tone to a comic one?
2. What characters exemplify a particular tone?
3. What is the purpose of tone for readers?
Essay Topic 2
Macon's inability to communicate presents major difficulties for him. Discuss the psychological reasons behind his withdrawal from those around him, and the ramifications of his actions, beginning with his marriage to Sarah to the present day.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Macon's role as a father in the novel.
1. How does he identify as a father-figure to Alexander?
2. How does he compare to the other fathers in the novel?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)