|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sarah grip the dashboard?
2. At Macon's childhood home, why is his typing interrupted?
3. What does Muriel do the fall of her senior year of high school?
4. Where does Macon and his niece, Susan, travel to?
5. How do the Leary children find out they are not going to be world travelers, like their mother said?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 12, Macon begins to spend a lot of time with Muriel. What is Rose's response to his absence from home and why is it significant?
2. Why does Muriel give Macon a calendar?
3. How does Macon feel about his marriage to Sarah in Chapter 8?
4. Why does Macon keep Edward, and what does he agree to?
5. Why does Macon return to his childhood home in Chapter 5?
6. In Chapter 8, what are Macon and his siblings perceptions of Edward's training?
7. According to Macon, what was his mother like while he was growing up and how did she approach parenting?
8. How does Edward respond to Muriel and her training lessons?
9. Why does Sarah call Macon while he's traveling in Canada?
10. What happened to Macon and Sarah's son, Ethan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Macon's inability to communicate presents major difficulties for him. Discuss the psychological reasons behind his withdrawal from those around him, and the ramifications of his actions, beginning with his marriage to Sarah to the present day.
Essay Topic 2
Grief plays a large role in the dissolution and reconciliation of Macon and Sarah's marriage. Discuss how Macon and Sarah experience grief in the novel, and how each recovers from their loss.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the plot and subplot of "The Accidental Tourist," including the following for both:
1. Rising Action.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)