|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Macon do while waiting for a flight back home from his first trip in the novel?
2. What is Macon's system of washing dishes?
3. What does Julian realize about Macon when he sees him at his childhood home?
4. What restaurant do Macon and Sarah agree to meet at for dinner?
5. What does Macon agree to regarding Edward?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Muriel give Macon a calendar?
2. Describe some of Macon's domestic habits after Sarah has moved out of the house.
3. In the car, how are Macon and Sarah's physical appearance symbolic of the state of their marriage?
4. On Christmas, what does Muriel's mother, Mrs. Dugan, tell Macon about her daughter?
5. In Chapter 12, Macon begins to spend a lot of time with Muriel. What is Rose's response to his absence from home and why is it significant?
6. Why does Sarah come to Paris and who does she see?
7. Why does Macon keep Edward, and what does he agree to?
8. When Julian, Rose, Charles, and Macon are making small-talk, why does Sarah call Macon?
9. What does Muriel do as she trains Edward and what kind of personality does she have?
10. In Chapter 11, why doesn't Macon want to have dinner with her and her son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The issue of class is significant in the novel. Macon's family is middle-class, while Muriel has a working-class background. When Macon begins to see Muriel, his family do not approve of Muriel because they think she is just out for a meal ticket. How are Macon's reservations about Muriel also about class division?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Macon's trips to various cities in the novel. Does his attitude toward travel change over the course of the novel? What significant events occur while he's away from home? Which trips are the most significant for his personal journey?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the treatment of animals in the novel.
1. How does Edward figure as a major character?
2. What are some similarities between Macon and his dog?
3. Why is it significant that Edward was Ethan's dog?
4. What major changes does Macon go through regarding his relationship with him?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)