|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edward do when Julian tries to leave?
2. What surprises Macon and Muriel as they are talking about her son and ex-husband?
3. How does Macon get injured?
4. On his first trip in the novel, what does Macon do once he has arrived at his destination?
5. Why does Macon stay at his childhood home after his injury?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Macon's siblings and their current lifestyle.
2. What is significant about Macon's visit to a restaurant at the top of a sky-scraper in New York?
3. Why is Muriel upset about Macon finding out she has a son and what does her misunderstanding lead to?
4. Why does Sarah call Macon while he's traveling in Canada?
5. In Chapter 15, briefly describe how Macon is becoming a father-figure to Alexander.
6. In Chapter 11, why doesn't Macon want to have dinner with her and her son?
7. What is the series of books Macon writes called and why is it significant?
8. At Rose's and Julian's wedding, why is Macon worried that he's attracted to women like his mother?
9. According to Macon, what was his mother like while he was growing up and how did she approach parenting?
10. What does Muriel tell Macon about herself in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, Macon and Rose share many similarities. Like Macon, Rose doesn't like change and chooses a partner who is very different from herself. Discuss Rose as a character and her decision to move back home to take care of her brothers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss conflict in "The Accidental Tourist," discussing the following scenarios:
1. Macon's conflict with society.
2. Macon's conflict with Sarah.
3. Macon's conflict with Muriel.
4. Macon's conflict with himself.
Essay Topic 3
What does Tyler want readers to understand about being saved in life and who does the saving? Who are the heroes and heroines in this novel? What is the overall message or theme of "The Accidental Tourist"?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)