|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do his neighbors react to the news that Sarah has left?
2. On their training expedition with Edward, what does Muriel ask Macon?
3. Who does Macon try to call from the restaurant in New York?
4. What does Macon wear to bed?
5. What's significant about the country Grandfather Leary says he's sailing to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Macon respond to Muriel's story about her son and why?
2. Recount Macon's trip to England, paying close attention to his specific habits and goals.
3. According to Muriel, how did the birth of her son, Alexander, impact her marriage?
4. When Julian, Rose, Charles, and Macon are making small-talk, why does Sarah call Macon?
5. Why does Muriel give Macon a calendar?
6. On Christmas, what does Muriel's mother, Mrs. Dugan, tell Macon about her daughter?
7. Why does Sarah call Macon while he's traveling in Canada?
8. In Chapter 4, how does Macon occupy his time?
9. Why is Macon disappointed when he disembarks from his flight from London and returns home?
10. What does Muriel tell Macon about herself in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Describe Macon's role as a father in the novel. 1. How does he identify as a father-figure to Alexander? 2. How does he compare to the other fathers in the novel?
Essay Topic 2Macon's inability to communicate presents major difficulties for him. Discuss the psychological reasons behind his withdrawal from those around him, and the ramifications of his actions, beginning with his marriage to Sarah to the present day.
Essay Topic 3Discuss the plot and subplot of "The Accidental Tourist," including the following for both: 1. Rising Action. 2. Climax. 3. Resolution.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)