|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Macon pull over?
2. What are some of Grandfather Leary's inventions?
3. What does Macon agree to regarding Edward?
4. What sound should Macon make when Edward does something positive?
5. According to Muriel, what can't Norman handle regarding Alexander?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, why doesn't Macon want to have dinner with her and her son?
2. What is the series of books Macon writes called and why is it significant?
3. What does Sarah tell Macon in the car?
4. What is significant about Macon's visit to a restaurant at the top of a sky-scraper in New York?
5. Why does Macon keep Edward, and what does he agree to?
6. What kind of writer is Macon and who does he write for?
7. In Philadelphia, what does Porter's daughter, Susan, tell Macon about Ethan?
8. When Macon returns to Baltimore, where does he go and why is it significant?
9. What are Macon's and Sarah's reactions to the stormy weather and why are they significant?
10. How does Macon hurt himself in the basement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Muriel and Julian try to become members of the Leary family, and are thwarted by Rose and Macon in various ways. Ultimately, they are successful in winning over their partners. Discuss the similarities between these two characters, and their possible motives for wanting to be a part of the Leary family.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the tone of "The Accidental Tourist."
1. How does it shift throughout the novel, from a serious and somber tone to a comic one?
2. What characters exemplify a particular tone?
3. What is the purpose of tone for readers?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of setting in the novel, and how its significance regarding the characters.
1. What facts about Baltimore and its history relate directly or indirectly to the novel?
2. Why is it significant that Macon and Muriel live in different parts of the city?
3. How is it significant that major events occur when Macon is away from home?
This section contains 1,423 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)