|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarah wonder about the man who shot their son?
2. According to Muriel, why is her sister the favorite?
3. Where does Macon take Edward to after leaving the kennel?
4. Who does Macon try to call from the restaurant in New York?
5. What does Edward do each time Muriel leaves after training?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julian offer to Macon when he comes over in Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 6, why is Macon's typing interrupted?
3. Describe some of Macon's domestic habits after Sarah has moved out of the house.
4. What are Macon's and Sarah's reactions to the stormy weather and why are they significant?
5. Why do the Learys disapprove of Macon's relationship with Muriel?
6. Why is Macon disappointed when he disembarks from his flight from London and returns home?
7. In Chapter 12, Macon begins to spend a lot of time with Muriel. What is Rose's response to his absence from home and why is it significant?
8. What is Muriel's response to her mother's revelations about her and what does she give Macon?
9. In Chapter 4, how does Macon occupy his time?
10. In Philadelphia, what does Porter's daughter, Susan, tell Macon about Ethan?
Essay Topic 1
Loss is a major theme in "The Accidental Tourist." The loss and suffering of children are the impetus for other losses, namely marriage.
1. Discuss the possible reasons why Macon and Sarah and Muriel and Norman are unable to take solace in their suffering over their children.
2. Why do you think Tyler utilizes children as the starting point to explore the consequences of grief?
Essay Topic 2
Tyler utilizes the third-person point of view in the novel to show Macon's thoughts, motives, and actions. Why do you think she uses "he" and "she" instead of "I." How would the novel be different if Macon was narrating it? Would we learn more or less from a first-person perspective?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tone of "The Accidental Tourist."
1. How does it shift throughout the novel, from a serious and somber tone to a comic one?
2. What characters exemplify a particular tone?
3. What is the purpose of tone for readers?
This section contains 1,458 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)