|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sarah wearing on the drive back from their vacation?
2. When Macon thinks of Sarah in her apartment, what does he imagine?
3. How does Sarah sign her letters to Macon?
4. What does Grandfather Leary tell Macon in his dream?
5. How does Macon spend his time after returning from his trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sarah come to Paris and who does she see?
2. What are Macon's and Sarah's reactions to the stormy weather and why are they significant?
3. What does Julian invite Macon and Muriel to and why is it significant?
4. After Macon returns home from London, why does Muriel Pritchett call him?
5. According to Macon, what was his mother like while he was growing up and how did she approach parenting?
6. Why does Macon return to his childhood home in Chapter 5?
7. At Rose's and Julian's wedding, why is Macon worried that he's attracted to women like his mother?
8. Describe Muriel Pritchett when Macon first meets her and when he picks up Edward.
9. How does Macon feel about his marriage to Sarah in Chapter 8?
10. In Chapter 3, why does Sarah call Macon and what does she reveal to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grief plays a large role in the dissolution and reconciliation of Macon and Sarah's marriage. Discuss how Macon and Sarah experience grief in the novel, and how each recovers from their loss.
Essay Topic 2
Holidays function as significant events for Macon and his family. Discuss the family dynamics at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and what they reveal about the characters' relationships with one another.
Essay Topic 3
The definition of family in "The Accidental Tourist" is a complicated one, one that is constantly shifting and evolving.
1. Discuss what makes a family in the novel. Is it blood relations, obligations, emotional bonds, or all three?
2. How do the families function? Which ones flounder? Which ones thrive?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)