|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Muriel, why is her sister the favorite?
2. Why does Muriel have trouble running the credit card through the embossing machine?
3. What does Macon do while waiting for a flight back home from his first trip in the novel?
4. What is Muriel's dog training specialty?
5. According to Julian, what will the next series be about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Edward respond to Muriel and her training lessons?
2. What does Sarah tell Macon in the car?
3. In Chapter 4, how does Macon occupy his time?
4. Briefly describe Macon's relationship with Muriel and Alexander in Chapter 14.
5. According to Muriel, how did the birth of her son, Alexander, impact her marriage?
6. What happened to Macon and Sarah's son, Ethan?
7. In Chapter 11, why doesn't Macon want to have dinner with her and her son?
8. Describe Macon's siblings and their current lifestyle.
9. In Chapter 17, why is the story Muriel tells Macon about a man she "cured" who left her?
10. What kind of writer is Macon and who does he write for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loss is a major theme in "The Accidental Tourist." The loss and suffering of children are the impetus for other losses, namely marriage.
1. Discuss the possible reasons why Macon and Sarah and Muriel and Norman are unable to take solace in their suffering over their children.
2. Why do you think Tyler utilizes children as the starting point to explore the consequences of grief?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the treatment of animals in the novel.
1. How does Edward figure as a major character?
2. What are some similarities between Macon and his dog?
3. Why is it significant that Edward was Ethan's dog?
4. What major changes does Macon go through regarding his relationship with him?
Essay Topic 3
What does Tyler want readers to understand about being saved in life and who does the saving? Who are the heroes and heroines in this novel? What is the overall message or theme of "The Accidental Tourist"?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)