|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At his childhood home, what does Macon give Julian that Julian has NOT asked for?
(a) The remaining pages of his manuscript.
(b) The first draft of his next book.
(c) The remaining pages of a novel he is writing.
(d) The final draft of his autobiography.
2. When Macon thinks of Sarah in her apartment, what does he imagine?
(a) He pictures her with someone else.
(b) He pictures chaos, sneakers in the oven and the sofa heaped with china.
(c) He pictures her crying over him.
(d) He pictures the way she has decorated the rooms.
3. Where does Macon take Edward to after leaving the kennel?
(b) Meow-Bow Animal Hospital.
(c) His sister's.
(d) The ASPCA.
4. What does Edward do when Julian tries to leave?
(a) Edward barks at Julian and bites Macon when Macon grabs his leash.
(b) Edward jumps on Julian and licks his face.
(c) Edward runs back and forth from Macon to Julian, wagging his tail.
(d) Edward blocks the door and when Julian grabs his leash, Edward snarls and nips his hand.
5. What does Macon daydream about when Sarah calls?
(a) He daydreams about their first trip to Paris.
(b) He daydreams about going over to her aparment and asking her to come back.
(c) He daydreams about having a romantic candlelit dinner with her.
(d) He daydreams about the two of them sipping sherry and talking about how much they miss one another.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarah tell Macon she wants regarding their separation?
2. What happens to Muriel and Norman's son, Alexander, when he's born?
3. What surprises Macon and Muriel as they are talking about her son and ex-husband?
4. What are some of Grandfather Leary's inventions?
5. How does Macon get injured?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Muriel's response to her mother's revelations about her and what does she give Macon?
2. According to Macon, when did his grandfather's mind begin to wander?
3. How does Macon respond to Muriel's story about her son and why?
4. In Chapter 19, how have Sarah and Macon picked up their domestic life where they left off?
5. Why does Macon return to his childhood home in Chapter 5?
6. Why is Muriel upset about Macon finding out she has a son and what does her misunderstanding lead to?
7. What kind of writer is Macon and who does he write for?
8. In Chapter 6, why is Macon's typing interrupted?
9. In Chapter 8, what are Macon and his siblings perceptions of Edward's training?
10. What is significant about Macon's visit to a restaurant at the top of a sky-scraper in New York?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)