|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Macon spend most of his time after Sarah leaves?
2. What does Edward do when Julian tries to leave?
(a) Edward runs back and forth from Macon to Julian, wagging his tail.
(b) Edward jumps on Julian and licks his face.
(c) Edward blocks the door and when Julian grabs his leash, Edward snarls and nips his hand.
(d) Edward barks at Julian and bites Macon when Macon grabs his leash.
3. What is Rose giving Julian for Christmas?
(b) A sweater she is knitting.
(c) A set of golf clubs.
(d) A book about Churchill.
4. According to Macon, what is unusual about Rose's life?
(a) She lives all by herself, and has never had a partner.
(b) She has traveled all over the world, and has never lived in one place for long.
(c) She has been married several times.
(d) She is not married or employed and takes care of her brothers.
5. What is the dilemma the Leary's face about Thanksgiving?
(a) Who to invite, since they don't like one another's friends.
(b) Where to have Thanksgiving, at the house or in the city.
(c) No one likes turkey but they feel compelled by tradition to have it.
(d) They don't want to have a big dinner since it's just the four of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edward do when Muriel arrives for Edward's first lesson?
2. Where does Macon travel to on his first trip in the novel?
3. How does Macon sign his letters to Sarah?
4. What do Sarah and Macon listen to after Macon pulls over?
5. What is Muriel's dog training specialty?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Julian get injured while visiting Macon?
2. Why is Muriel upset about Macon finding out she has a son and what does her misunderstanding lead to?
3. When Julian, Rose, Charles, and Macon are making small-talk, why does Sarah call Macon?
4. What does Macon feel about Sarah at Rose and Julian's wedding?
5. According to Muriel, how did the birth of her son, Alexander, impact her marriage?
6. In Chapter 17, why is the story Muriel tells Macon about a man she "cured" who left her?
7. When Macon brings his note of apology to Muriel and breaks down at her door, what is her response and why is it significant?
8. Why does Sarah come to Paris and who does she see?
9. How does Macon respond to Muriel's story about her son and why?
10. Describe Macon's dream about his grandfather.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)