|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Garner, how does Macon react to the neighbors' offers of help after Edward dies?
(a) Macon rejects offers of help to bring a casserole or mow the lawn.
(b) Macon tells them to mind their own business.
(c) Macon asks them to fix the house up while they are gone.
(d) Macon accepts their help to cook and clean for them.
2. What advice does Garner give to Macon regarding Sarah?
(a) Macon should let her know he cares.
(b) Macon should tell her he doesn't love her.
(c) Macon should ask for forgiveness.
(d) Macon should tell her it's over for good.
3. What is Rose giving Julian for Christmas?
(a) A set of golf clubs.
(b) A sweater she is knitting.
(c) A book about Churchill.
4. When Macon thinks of Sarah in her apartment, what does he imagine?
(a) He pictures the way she has decorated the rooms.
(b) He pictures her with someone else.
(c) He pictures chaos, sneakers in the oven and the sofa heaped with china.
(d) He pictures her crying over him.
5. What does Macon do when he wakes up from his dream about Grandfather Leary?
(a) Gets up and takes Edward out.
(b) Calls Sarah and asks her to come back.
(c) Lays in bed for a while before getting up to make coffee.
(d) Stays in bed for the rest of the day.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Ethan when he is killed?
2. Why is the restaurant where Macon and Sarah agree to meet significant?
3. What surprises Macon and Muriel as they are talking about her son and ex-husband?
4. What is Macon's reaction to Sarah's wish regarding their separation?
5. Why does Sarah want Macon to pull over?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Macon's neighbor, Garner Bolt, visits him, what does he reveal people's perception of Macon?
2. In Chapter 6, why is Macon's typing interrupted?
3. According to Muriel, how did the birth of her son, Alexander, impact her marriage?
4. Describe some of Macon's domestic habits after Sarah has moved out of the house.
5. At the Old Bay restaurant, what does Sarah tell Macon she wants and what does she think of him?
6. Why does Macon call Muriel in New York?
7. Describe Muriel Pritchett when Macon first meets her and when he picks up Edward.
8. How does Julian get injured while visiting Macon?
9. In Chapter 8, what are Macon and his siblings perceptions of Edward's training?
10. Why does Macon return to his childhood home in Chapter 5?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)