|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What story does Muriel tell Macon about her hair?
(a) It was blonde when she was younger and her mother entered her into talent competitions until it got dark.
(b) She shaved it off when she was sixteen to make her mother mad.
(c) It used to be straight and her mother cut it for her.
(d) Her hair is naturally red but she thinks red hair is trashy and has it dyed.
2. What sound should Macon make when Edward does something positive?
3. On his first trip in the novel, what does Macon do once he has arrived at his destination?
(a) Macon has an expensive lunch, and visits an old friend.
(b) Macon tries breakfast at three different stops, visits hotels in the afternoon.
(c) Macon checks in at his hotel and goes sightseeing.
(d) Macon rents a car and drives to the coast.
4. What does Sarah wonder about the man who shot their son?
(a) She wonders if he is sorry and wants forgiveness.
(b) She wonders if he knows that he not only killed people in the restaurant, but many others as well.
(c) She wonders if he knows her son's name.
(d) She wonders if he will get out of prison one day.
5. Why do Macon and Sarah look like they are on two different trips?
(a) Macon is dressed for the beach and Sarah is bundled up.
(b) Sarah is dressed for skiing and Macon has on shorts.
(c) Macon is tan and Sarah is pale.
(d) Macon is pale and Sarah is tan.
Short Answer Questions
1. At his childhood home, what does Macon give Julian that Julian has NOT asked for?
2. What does Grandfather Leary announce the day his mind first begins to wander?
3. Why does Muriel have trouble running the credit card through the embossing machine?
4. What is significant about the day Macon wakes from his dream about Grandfather Leary?
5. According to Grandfather Leary, who is the best Leary?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Macon returns to Baltimore, where does he go and why is it significant?
2. Recount Macon's trip to England, paying close attention to his specific habits and goals.
3. When Macon brings his note of apology to Muriel and breaks down at her door, what is her response and why is it significant?
4. Describe Muriel Pritchett when Macon first meets her and when he picks up Edward.
5. Why does Rose invite Julian to Thanksgiving dinner?
6. In Chapter 15, briefly describe how Macon is becoming a father-figure to Alexander.
7. In Chapter 3, why does Sarah call Macon and what does she reveal to him?
8. What does Muriel tell Macon about herself in Chapter 7?
9. Why does Sarah call Macon while he's traveling in Canada?
10. According to Macon, when did his grandfather's mind begin to wander?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)