|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Macon breathe a sigh of relief at Rose and Julian's wedding?
(a) Macon sees Muriel release herself from his mother's grasp.
(b) Macon notices the weather getting better.
(c) Macon realizes he didn't forget to bring the ring.
(d) Macon sees that Sarah has also brought her new boyfriend.
2. Who does Muriel threaten with a shotgun?
3. What does Julian show Macon that he's going to give to Rose?
(a) An engagement ring.
(b) A pearl necklace.
(c) A new car.
(d) His grandmother's earrings.
4. After the storm, what does Macon discover when he goes to his house?
(a) Macon's house is fine.
(b) Macon's living room is destroyed.
(c) Macon's roof has collapsed.
(d) Macon's kitchen is on fire.
5. Why does Charles knock on Muriel's door?
(a) Charles tells Macon he wants Edward to live with him.
(b) Charles tells Macon his pipes have burst.
(c) Charles tells Macon his car won't start.
(d) Charles tells Macon he wants him to move back with them.
6. What major life decision does Macon make in Paris?
(a) Macon decides to stay with Sarah.
(b) Macon decides to move to Paris.
(c) Macon decides to go back to Muriel.
(d) Macon decides to adopt a son.
7. What is the horrible thought Macon has at Rose and Julian's wedding?
(a) That he will be asked to give a toast.
(b) That he doesn't want Julian to marry Rose.
(c) That he is attracted to women like his mother.
(d) That he forgot the ring Julian entrusted him with.
8. What gift does Macon bring for Muriel's parents?
(a) Cranberry liqueur.
(b) A bottle of Pinot Gris.
(c) An apple pie.
(d) A box of chocolates.
9. What is Muriel's response to Macon's note?
(a) Muriel makes tea for them and lets him talk about Sarah.
(b) Muriel hugs him but tells him to go home.
(c) Muriel hugs him and brings him to bed so that he can sleep.
(d) Muriel tells him she's no longer interested.
10. Who first greets Macon, Muriel, and Alexander when they arrive for Christmas?
(a) Muriel's mother.
(b) Muriel's teenage sister, Claire.
(c) Muriel's cousin from Alabama.
(d) The Dugan's dog, Max.
11. What announcement does Muriel make to Macon as they are browsing thrift stores?
(a) Muriel announces that she's been hired at the vet hospital.
(b) Muriel announces that she's quit her job.
(c) Muriel announces that she's gotten a raise.
(d) Muriel announces that she's getting back together with her ex-husband.
12. What does Macon stop on his walk with Edward?
(a) Neighbors fighting on the lawn.
(b) Children teasing Alexander.
(c) Muriel before she goes to work.
(d) A child running across the street.
13. Where does Macon take Alexander to while Muriel is at work?
(a) A baseball game.
(b) A new Disney movie.
(c) To the park.
(d) Shopping for new clothes.
14. What does Macon do in lieu of calling Muriel?
(a) Calls Rose instead and asks for advice.
(b) Sends flowers and a thank you card.
(c) Writes a note and delivers it at her house.
(d) Goes for a long walk to clear his head.
15. Who does Macon run into while out with Alexander?
(a) His mother-in-law.
(b) Muriel's ex-husband.
(c) His high-school sweetheart.
(d) His neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unsettling to Macon about Muriel?
2. After Sarah leaves for her sculpture class, why is Macon distracted when he sits down to write?
3. What happens when Macon tries to fix the phone cord in his room?
4. What does Muriel give Macon after they come home from Christmas dinner?
5. What gives Sarah an "emotional jolt" when she sees it?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)