|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Vancouver, what does Sarah ask Macon on the phone?
(a) If Edward can stay with her at the house.
(b) If Macon plans on staying with Muriel forever.
(c) If Macon is coming back next week.
(d) If Muriel is a good person.
2. What does Macon teach Alexander to do?
(a) Mow the lawn.
(b) Ride a bike.
(c) Drive a car.
(d) Fix a leaky faucet.
3. Why does Charles knock on Muriel's door?
(a) Charles tells Macon he wants Edward to live with him.
(b) Charles tells Macon his car won't start.
(c) Charles tells Macon his pipes have burst.
(d) Charles tells Macon he wants him to move back with them.
4. At Rose and Julian's dinner party, what is significant about the pate recipe?
(a) It is his mother's recipe and reminds Macon to invite her to his wedding.
(b) It is Muriel's recipe and is a sign that the Leary's are accepting her.
(c) It is Sarah's recipe and reminds Macon of home.
(d) It is his grandmother's recipe and reminds Macon of how much he misses her.
5. Where does Macon take Alexander to while Muriel is at work?
(a) A new Disney movie.
(b) To the park.
(c) A baseball game.
(d) Shopping for new clothes.
6. Why is Rose irritated with Macon after he begins seeing Muriel?
(a) Because Muriel flirts with Julian and makes him uncomfortable.
(b) Because Macon's attitude has changed and he's a different person.
(c) Because Muriel told her that she wants to marry Macon for his money.
(d) Because Macon misses meals and doesn't come home at night.
7. After the storm, what does Macon discover when he goes to his house?
(a) Macon's living room is destroyed.
(b) Macon's kitchen is on fire.
(c) Macon's house is fine.
(d) Macon's roof has collapsed.
8. What does Macon stop on his walk with Edward?
(a) A child running across the street.
(b) Muriel before she goes to work.
(c) Children teasing Alexander.
(d) Neighbors fighting on the lawn.
9. According to Macon, what is the main reason he can't come to dinner at Muriel's?
(a) Macon has an urgent meeting with Julian.
(b) Macon has no interest in women since Ethan died.
(c) Macon wants to cook for her instead.
(d) Macon is still in love with Sarah.
10. Why is Mr. Dugan preoccupied?
(a) He is invested in a football game.
(b) He is concerned about Alexander's shyness.
(c) He is worried about the pipes freezing.
(d) He is upset about Muriel bringing Macon.
11. What is the horrible thought Macon has at Rose and Julian's wedding?
(a) That he doesn't want Julian to marry Rose.
(b) That he forgot the ring Julian entrusted him with.
(c) That he is attracted to women like his mother.
(d) That he will be asked to give a toast.
12. Why does Muriel leave messages for Macon all over the house?
(a) Because Alexander asks her to, so that Macon won't leave them.
(b) Because she wants to go to France with Macon, and he says they can't afford it.
(c) Because their schedules conflict, and it's the easiest way to communicate.
(d) Because Macon keeps forgetting things, and she wants to remind him.
13. Who does Muriel threaten with a shotgun?
14. Where does Rose and Julian's wedding ceremony take place?
(a) At a Lutheran church.
(b) Outside at the Leary household.
(c) At the courthouse.
(d) In a rented hall.
15. What does Macon do in lieu of calling Muriel?
(a) Sends flowers and a thank you card.
(b) Writes a note and delivers it at her house.
(c) Calls Rose instead and asks for advice.
(d) Goes for a long walk to clear his head.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unsettling to Macon about Muriel?
2. Why does Muriel give Macon a big calendar with a date marked in red?
3. What does Macon remind Muriel about on the phone when he calls her while Sarah is at her sculpture class?
4. What happens when Macon lifts the receiver to call Muriel and apologize?
5. What does Mrs. Dugan tell Macon about Muriel's past?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)