|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rose move back in with her brothers?
(a) Because she had a fight with Julian.
(b) Because their lives are a mess since she got married.
(c) Because she and Julian broke up.
(d) Because Julian is away on business.
2. Where is Muriel's house located?
(a) The unsavory side of Baltimore.
(b) Two blocks from Macon's.
(c) The richest part of Baltimore.
(d) In D.C.
3. What is Macon's reaction to Muriel's announcement while they are browsing thrift stores?
(a) Macon is happy that Muriel will have more time to spend with him.
(b) Macon is glad Muriel has a new job.
(c) Macon is angry at Muriel's irresponsible behavior.
(d) Macon is upset that Muriel is leaving him.
4. What gives Sarah an "emotional jolt" when she sees it?
(a) The house.
(c) The legal papers.
5. Why is Mr. Dugan preoccupied?
(a) He is worried about the pipes freezing.
(b) He is invested in a football game.
(c) He is concerned about Alexander's shyness.
(d) He is upset about Muriel bringing Macon.
6. How does Muriel respond to Macon's reminder?
(a) Muriel is grateful for Macon's help around the house.
(b) Muriel is relieved that he called because she would have forgotten Alexander.
(c) Muriel is outraged that he left her and Alexander and has the nerve to call her about bee stings.
(d) Muriel is upset but thanks him for reminding her.
7. What happens when Macon lifts the receiver to call Muriel and apologize?
(a) Edward distracts Macon with his barking.
(b) The words freeze in Macon's mouth.
(c) Macon decides to go to dinner with her after all.
(d) Rose and Julian show up at his door.
8. What is unsettling to Macon about Muriel?
(a) Muriel's beauty.
(b) Muriel's youthfulness.
(c) Muriel's ambition.
(d) Muriel's bad temper.
9. Why does Macon breathe a sigh of relief at Rose and Julian's wedding?
(a) Macon notices the weather getting better.
(b) Macon realizes he didn't forget to bring the ring.
(c) Macon sees Muriel release herself from his mother's grasp.
(d) Macon sees that Sarah has also brought her new boyfriend.
10. Why does Sarah want to move back into the house?
(a) The house belongs to Sarah, not Macon.
(b) Sarah wants to fix it up before they sell it.
(c) Sarah's lease is up and she can't find another apartment.
(d) Sarah and her new boyfriend need a bigger place to stay.
11. Why does Muriel tell Macon about the previous boyfriend who, after he began to trust women again, left her for a stewardess?
(a) Because Muriel is afraid that Macon will leave her.
(b) Because Muriel thinks Macon will meet a stewardess on one of his trips.
(c) Because Muriel has met someone else now that she trusts men again.
(d) Because the boyfriend wants to get back together with Muriel.
12. After Sarah leaves for her sculpture class, why is Macon distracted when he sits down to write?
(a) Macon has writer's block.
(b) Macon is wondering if Rose will take Julian back.
(c) Macon is thinking about Muriel.
(d) Macon is worried about Sarah's health.
13. What does Muriel give Macon after they come home from Christmas dinner?
(a) A set of blank notebooks for his work.
(b) A ceramic bowl she made when she was a girl.
(c) Tickets to a jazz show.
(d) A picture of her as a toddler climbing out of a wading pool.
14. Where does Macon take Alexander to while Muriel is at work?
(a) Shopping for new clothes.
(b) A new Disney movie.
(c) A baseball game.
(d) To the park.
15. Who does Rose summon to go to Paris?
Short Answer Questions
1. At Rose and Julian's wedding, who takes Muriel aside to chat?
2. What does Macon remind Muriel about on the phone when he calls her while Sarah is at her sculpture class?
3. Where does Muriel put Macon's hand when he spends the night at her house?
4. What does Macon teach Alexander to do?
5. What is Muriel's response to Macon's note?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)