|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city does Macon visit when Baltimore is covered in ice?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) St. Louis.
(d) San Diego.
2. Who first greets Macon, Muriel, and Alexander when they arrive for Christmas?
(a) The Dugan's dog, Max.
(b) Muriel's mother.
(c) Muriel's cousin from Alabama.
(d) Muriel's teenage sister, Claire.
3. What announcement does Muriel make to Macon as they are browsing thrift stores?
(a) Muriel announces that she's quit her job.
(b) Muriel announces that she's been hired at the vet hospital.
(c) Muriel announces that she's getting back together with her ex-husband.
(d) Muriel announces that she's gotten a raise.
4. Who are the two people Macon is surprised to see at Rose and Julian's wedding?
(a) Garner Bolt and his wife.
(b) His father and Sarah.
(c) His mother and Sarah.
(d) Norman and his wife.
5. What happens when Macon tries to fix the phone cord in his room?
(a) Macon shocks himself.
(b) Macon breaks the phone.
(c) Muriel barges in.
(d) Macon's back goes out.
6. Where does Muriel put Macon's hand when he spends the night at her house?
(a) On her belly, to show him her caesarean scar.
(b) On her arm, to show him where a dog bit her.
(c) In her hand, so that she can hold it.
(d) On her leg, to show him a birth mark.
7. When Macon returns from Canada, where does he go?
(a) To Charles and Porter's house.
(b) To Muriel's.
(c) To his house.
(d) To Rose and Julian's.
8. What does Julian invite Macon and Muriel to?
(a) Rose's birthday party.
(b) A cookout at Julian's house.
(c) Julian and Rose's wedding.
(d) Easter dinner.
9. What does Macon do in lieu of calling Muriel?
(a) Writes a note and delivers it at her house.
(b) Calls Rose instead and asks for advice.
(c) Goes for a long walk to clear his head.
(d) Sends flowers and a thank you card.
10. Where is Muriel's house located?
(a) The unsavory side of Baltimore.
(b) Two blocks from Macon's.
(c) In D.C.
(d) The richest part of Baltimore.
11. What does Macon feel standing next to Sarah at Rose and Julian's wedding?
(a) Macon feels how natural and comfortable it is to be next to her.
(b) Macon doesn't feel anything.
(c) Macon feels how awkward it is to be next to her.
(d) Macon feels how angry he still is with her.
12. Why does Sarah want to move back into the house?
(a) The house belongs to Sarah, not Macon.
(b) Sarah's lease is up and she can't find another apartment.
(c) Sarah wants to fix it up before they sell it.
(d) Sarah and her new boyfriend need a bigger place to stay.
13. Why does Muriel leave messages for Macon all over the house?
(a) Because she wants to go to France with Macon, and he says they can't afford it.
(b) Because their schedules conflict, and it's the easiest way to communicate.
(c) Because Alexander asks her to, so that Macon won't leave them.
(d) Because Macon keeps forgetting things, and she wants to remind him.
14. What does Macon have at lunch with Sarah that he has never had before?
(a) The house special.
(d) An appetizer.
15. Where does Rose and Julian's wedding ceremony take place?
(a) In a rented hall.
(b) Outside at the Leary household.
(c) At a Lutheran church.
(d) At the courthouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Sarah leaves for her sculpture class, why is Macon distracted when he sits down to write?
2. What does Muriel give Macon after they come home from Christmas dinner?
3. What does Macon remind Muriel about on the phone when he calls her while Sarah is at her sculpture class?
4. Who does Muriel threaten with a shotgun?
5. What is significant about the subdivision Muriel's parents live in?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)